A Dark Hand (LOTR/D Gray Man Noah CKII Quest)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A dead criminal is given a second chance, but unlike most stories, this is not for such a good reason.
Opening Post
Darkness, endless bottomless Darkness, a Darkness that spreads infinitely in all directions.

Up

Down

Left

Right

Forward

Back

Darkness

But it was not Silent

Things slithered and swam through the Endless Dark

Things that could not be considered neither Alive nor Dead

Though that was not to say there was a lack of either as well

The Darkness accepted All after all

Beings came and went, beings of Great Power that made ripples in Existence, beings of no consequence like dust on gnats

Time was timeless here

Space was pointless here

Life thrived and died here

As it was

As it should be

As it ever will be

And in this Endless Darkness a new soul entered like countless others

But unlike a vast majority this one has obtained attention on it

Vast swarms of 'native' denizens swam towards it like a pack of piranhas detecting fresh prey

Only they were scattered instantly by a surge of Darkness like a hurricane consisting of black colored winds that shredded them and scattered the survivors

What will be the outcome of such an event

Will it be like so many others where one devours another

Will it be like so many others of them succumbing to the Dark

Will it be like so many others where one is used like a tool

Will it be like so many others

Will it be like so many

Will it be like so

Will it be like

Will it be

At some point in the Darkness a figure formed in front of the newly arrived mortal just as it awakened

"WAKE UP [ ]."

NAME

[ ] WRITE IN

You jolt awake, eyes wide in shock as you gasp and grasp at your chest where you expected pain but finding none.

You are confused to find yourself fine before finally realizing your current location, and the faceless man in suit standing across from you.

"Oh fuck who the hell are you? What are you? And where the hell am I?" You shouted in fear looking around for something, anything, but finding nothing.

"I AM THE DARKNESS. I AM THE DARKNESS. YOU ARE IN THE DARKNESS." The faceless being said his voice sounding like a distant whisper that seemed to be moving around you.

"What" You began before being interrupted by the figure.

"AND YOU ARE A PETTY [ ] MORTAL THIEF WHO REACHED TOO FAR FOR HIS OWN CAPABILITIES AND PAID THE FINAL PRICE FOR IT."

MAIN SIN

[ ] WRATH
[ ] LUST
[ ] ENVY
[ ] SLOTH
[ ] GLUTTONY
[ ] GREED
[ ] PRIDE

A shot rang out in the dark, echoing where there should be nothing to echo from.

The sound filling your head with its familiar crack and a even more familiar memory.

You got shot.

You broke into a house as the owner came down with a gun and he shot you before you could even speak.

You remember the cold hardwood floor against your cheek as the rest of you started getting cold as well.

You remember your eyes slowly closing as it became harder and harder to keep them open.

You were so tired and the owner's loud shouting only made you want to sleep more.

After closing your eyes you opened them again to the current Darkness and a man with no face.

"I died...is this Hell? Are you the Devil?" You said beginning to hyperventilate at the thought that the consequences of your actions have finally caught up to you.

All the previous crimes you committed like murder, drug trafficking's, theft, and more.

You were never really a God fearing man, but now those old ancient memories of your preschool days where you had listened to the stories from the Bible.

This sure was no Devil you ever heard described, but as far you were concerned he, it, might as well have been the ideal model Devil.

"NO." The being denied casually which did absolute zero in calming you down as your mind raced trying to find something familiar to grasp onto.

In the end your more criminal side came to the fore, this thing brought you here right? So it wanted something from you right? You were already dead so not like it could do anything to you right? Right?

"W-w-what do you want from m-m-m-me?" You bravely said without stuttering at all whatsoever.

"TO OFFER YOU A DEAL." It said, right before I could ask anything it continued. "YOU WILL GET TO LIVE AGAIN."

That made me shut up immediately. Live again? It can bring me back to life? That sounds too good to be true, which in my line of work usually was, it got me killed after all. However, the chance to live again, to stave off death's grip, especially since I now knew life after death was real?

"W-what's the catch? What do I have to do." I asked, my voice betraying my desire for what was being offered.

"SPREAD DARKNESS."

"What? What do you mean?" You asked confused at what was being asked of you.

"DARKNESS EXISTS EVERYWHERE IN YOUR WORLD. THERE ARE MANY OTHER WORLDS. MANY OTHER REALMS. DARKNESS EXISTS THERE TOO. HOWEVER, RECENTLY THE LIGHT HAS BEEN GETTING BRIGHTER AND SPREADING. THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. SO DARKNESS MUST SPREAD AS WELL AND CONSUME THE LIGHT. YOU SHALL BE SENT ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS IMBUED WITH THE POWERS OF DARKNESS TO BRING DOWN THOSE THAT HELP THE LIGHT AND SPREAD DARKNESS."

You took a moment to process everything you just heard, while you might not have been a college grad you still passed highschool and got your degree so you were by no means dumb even if you turned to a common criminal to make a living.

"So you need me to go around killing good guys and heroes and shit? In cartoon worlds and game worlds like that? Be Evil and stuff?"

"NO, AS LONG AS THE LIGHT DOES NOT GROW, THEIR AGENTS OPPOSED, AND DARKNESS SPREADS THE MEANS DO NOT MATTER. THE WORLDS YOU WILL BE SENT TO CAN BE LIKE THOSE FROM YOUR FICTION YES."

"And what happens if I fail?" You asked nervously already anticipating the worst.

"AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT DEAD, DO NOT STOP TRYING TO SPREAD THE DARK, OR STOP THE LIGHT THEN NOTHING AS IT WILL ONLY BE A TEMPORARY SETBACAK. IF YOU DO STOP OR KNOWINGLY HELP SPREAD THE LIGHT YOU WILL BE KILLED AND YOUR SOUL SENT TO THE DEPTHS OF THE DARKNESS AS YOU WERE ORIGINALLY INTENDED." It said pointing down at the 'ground' where you THINK you could see shapes darker then black swimming underneath, causing a gulp to issue from your throat.

"But I'm just a common criminal, how could I stand up to and stop honest to goodness superheroes?"

"YOU CAN BE MORE. YOU CAN BE IMBUED WITH POWER FROM THE DARKNESS AS LONG AS YOU ARE OUR AGENT. POWERS THAT ARE BEYOND MORTAL KEN. HOWEVER SUCCESS WOULD STILL DEPEND ON YOUR OWN ABILITY TO MAKE USE OF SUCH POWERS." It said waving a hand beside it where shadowy images flickered showing beings of power demonstrating their might.

"DO YOU ACCEPT? OR WILL YOU RETURN TO THE DARK EMBRACE?" It asked the images disappearing as it clasped its hands in front of it.

You did not even hesitate to respond with the only real answer.

"I accept." Letting out a cry of shock and pain as tendrils of Darkness swirled up and around your feet, binding your body and digging deep into your body causing you harm. It begins to speak as if nothing of interest was happening to you.

"THERE IS A LIMIT TO THE AMOUNT OF POWER A MORTAL CAN BE BESTOWED WITHOUT BEING ANNIHILATED. STRUCTURES AND ORDER WILL LESSEN THE STRAIN UPON YOU. WITH SUCH LIMITATIONS THERE ARE A FEW POWERS WHICH CAN BE INFUSED. POWERS WHICH WILL MAKE YOU INTO A RULER, A GENERAL, AN ARMY." It said waving its hand again showing three shadowy images to its left which for some reason you KNEW what they were and represented.

CKII FOCUSED POWER AND QUEST FOCUS
[ ] THE SHOGUN Jackie Chan Adventures
DESCRIPTION: THE DARKNESS IS FULL OF LIFE, SOME SIMILAR TO THOSE OF YOUR REALM. THERE ARE TRIBES OF SUCH BEINGS CALLED SHADOWKHAN ONCE UNDER A SHOGUN WHO WAS RECENTLY SEALED AND IS NOW LACKING A LEADER. IT WOULD NOT TAKE MUCH TO GRANT YOU THE POWER OF THE FORMER SHOGUN AND THUS HIS CONTROL OVER THESE TRIBES. TRIBES OF IMMORTAL SHADOW BEINGS UNQUESTIONINGLY LOYAL TO THEIR RULER, BUT HAMPERED IN THAT THEIR FORMS AND MINDS ARE SPECIALIZED TO ONE FORM OF COMBAT OR FUNCTION. PERHAPS YOU MIGHT EVEN FORM OR ATTRACT OTHER SUCH GROUPS TO JOIN YOUR ARMY TO AVOID THAT ISSUE?
PROS: LARGE AMOUNTS OF STARTING MANPOWER, TROOPS ARE SPECIALIZED, STARTING FORCES ARE IMMORTAL AND MORE CAN BE PRODUCED. CAN TELEPORT THROUGH SHADOWS.
CONS: NO STARTING HQ, UNABLE TO HIDE WHAT YOUR TROOPS ARE TRULY ARE WITHOUT DIFFICULTY, TROOPS ARE SPECIALIZED, NO POWERFUL COMMANDER UNITS

[ ] THE EARL D Gray Man
DESCRIPTION: IN THE BEGINNING THERE WERE 13 BEINGS CALLED NOAHS THAT EXISTED. AFTER A LONG WAR WITH AN ENEMY SENT BY GOD THEIR LEADER WAS DEFEATED AND THE OTHER 12 PROCEEDED TO HIDE AND REPOPULATE THE WORLD WITH WHAT IS NOW KNOWN AS HUMANITY USING AN ARK. A ARK THAT CONTAINS AN EGG THAT ALLOWS FOR THE PRODUCTION OF HUMANS AND AKUMA. YOU CAN TAKE THE LEADER'S PLACE AND BECOME THE EARL. YOU WILL BE GIVEN ACCESS TO IMMENSE POWERS THAT ALLOWED YOUR PREDECESSOR TO FIGHT UNTIL LITERAL DIVINE INTERVENTION HAD TO BE BROUGHT IN TO STOP HIM. YOU WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO CONVERT FOOLISH AND DESPERATE INTO UNITS CALLED AKUMA. CURSED BEINGS THAT WHEN CALLED BACK INTO THE WORLD WILL INHABIT A DARK MATTER SHELL WHICH WILL BE BOUND TO YOUR WILL AND IMMEDIATELY KILL AND INSERT THEMSELVES INTO THE BODY OF THE ONE THAT RIPPED THEM FROM THEIR RESTING PLACE. SUCH BEINGS ARE ABLE TO GROW AS THEY KILL AND ARE ABLE TO HIDE IN THEIR STOLEN HUMAN SHELL THAT ONLY THOSE WITH ESOTERIC MEANS CAN SEE THROUGH. WHAT SAY YOU MORTAL, DO YOU DARE TAKE THE POWER TO RIVAL GOD FOR YOURSELF?
PROS: MOBILE HIDDEN HQ, ABILITY TO PRODUCE TROOPS IN HOUSE, TROOPS CAN STRENGTHEN THEMSELVES, ACCESS TO TELEPORTATION, CAN HIRE ADDITIONAL FORCES, POWERFUL COMMANDER UNITS THAT CAN REINCARNATE, NON MUNDANE UNITS ABLE TO DISGUISE THEMSELVES
CONS: ONLY ONE SOURCE OF NON MUNDANE TROOP PRODUCTION, DESTRUCTION OR CAPTURE OF HQ POSSIBLE, COMMANDER UNITS CAN ONLY BE OBTAINED THROUGH LUCK, WILL EVENTUALLY ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF YOUR ANCIENT ENEMY

[ ] THE NECROMANCER Classic Stereotypical Necromancer
DESCRIPTION: A CLASSIC OPTION, THROUGH THE USE OF MAGIC YOU WILL REANIMATE THE DEAD WITH SHADOWS TO CREATE AN UNDEAD BEING. UNLIKE THE OTHER OPTIONS YOU WILL START OFF WITHOUT ANY REAL SUPPORT EXCEPT A SINGLE TEXTBOOK WHICH WILL GUIDE YOU TO EVER HIGHER LEVELS OF NECROMANTIC ARTS UNTIL YOU CAN ADVANCE ON YOUR OWN. WILL YOU CREATE DEAD WORLD LIKE SO MANY OTHERS OR WILL YOU CREATE A WORLD OF THE DEAD INSTEAD? THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
PROS: CAN TURN ALL CASUALTIES INTO FUTURE FORCES, NO CHANCE OF DETECTION IN THE BEGINNING, MAY GROW IN THE FUTURE
CONS: NO HQ, NO COMMANDERS, NO STARTING FORCES, NO STARTING POWERS

"OR PERHAPS YOU PREFER TO DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF? GOOD HELP CAN BE SO HARD TO FIND I UNDERSTAND." It said as it waved its other hand and two more shadowy images appeared to its right.

PERSONAL FOCUSED POWERS AND QUEST FOCUS
[ ] THE DEVOURER IN THE DARK Primal Zerg
DESCRIPTION: A SIMPLE THING. A HUNGER. A DEEP DARK HUNGER. KILL AND CONSUME THE FLESH OF THE FALLEN TO TAKE ON THEIR STRENGTHS AND TRAITS. DEVOUR UNTIL NOTHING OF YOUR HUMANITY IS LEFT AND CONTINUE ONWARD. STRIVE FOR THE PEAK OF PHYSICAL MIGHT AND DEVOUR ALL OF EXISTENCE ITSELF. DEVOUR EVERYTHING AS THE DARK DOES. A DEEP DARK HUNGER EXPRESSED WITHIN. DEVOUR THE MIND AND SOULS OF THOSE WHO DARE TO FACE YOU. CONSUME THEIR VERY BEING AND ADD IT TO YOUR OWN. ACCUMULATE AN ETERNITY'S WORTH OF EXPERIENCE, SKILL, AND ABILITY. WHO KNOWS PERHAPS YOU SHALL REACH THE PEAK THROUGH YOUR SHEER EXISTENCE IMPOSING UPON THE MORTAL REALM? IF YOU CAN EVEN REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE UNDER ALL THOSE SOULS THAT IS.
PROS: PERMANENT PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND SPIRITUAL GAINS FROM EVERY 'MEAL'
CONS: EVENTUAL LOSS OF HUMAN FORM, POTENTIAL LOSS OF SELF AND HUMANITY

[ ] THE DARK ORB Gantz
DESCRIPTION: THEN I SHALL BE YOUR BENEFACTOR. I SHALL PLACE A TENDRIL OF MY VERY BEING INTO REALITY AND SUPPLY YOU WITH EQUIPMENT AND BOONS. BOONS SUCH AS RESSURECTIONS AND MORE EQUIPMENT. HOWEVER, THERE IS A COST, YOU SHALL FOLLOW MY WILL AND COMPLETE MISSIONS I ASSIGN YOU, COMPLETION OF THESE MISSIONS SHALL GRANT YOU 'POINTS' TO SPEND ON EQUIPMENT AND BOONS. HOWEVER, FAILURE SHALL MEAN YOU GET NOTHING AND RECOVER NOTHING THAT WAS LOST. ATTEMPTS TO DISOBEY WILL RESULT IN DEATH. OBTAIN ENOUGH 'POINTS' AND I SHALL FREE YOU FROM YOUR OBLIGATIONS. YOU MAY STILL USE MY SERVICES, BUT YOU SHALL NO LONGER BE BEHOLDEN TO MY WILL, THOUGH YOU MAY STILL ACCEPT THEM TO OBTAIN MORE POINTS. WHAT SAY YOU? DO WE HAVE A DEAL?
PROS: EQUIPMENT, BOONS, CAN RECRUIT OTHERS THAT CAN SHARE IN YOUR EQUIPMENT AND BOONS
CONS: MUST OBEY YOUR BENEFACTOR OR DIE, CANNOT DO YOUR OWN THING UNTIL YOU ARE FREE.

Your body burned with power as the tendrils pulsed repeatedly as if pumping liquid inside of you. It went on for seemingly forever, it could have been minutes, it could have been years, but you could not tell in this lightless place. Eventually the tendrils of shadow stopped and gently released you from its grasp causing you to fall to your knees.

Slowly you get up while repeatedly clenching your fists as you marveled at the new feelings of power coursing through your body and the quickly fading sensation of pain.

"NOW WHERE TO SEND YOU? SOMEWHERE FAMILIAR PERHAPS? THERE ARE MANY WORLDS THAT REQUIRE YOUR...INVERVENTION AND SOME OF THEM MIGHT EVEN BE ONE YOU KNOW."

SETTING

[ ] CYBERPUNK 2077
[ ] LORD OF THE RINGS
[ ] RISE OF LEGENDS
[ ] BEET THE VANDAL BUSTER
[ ] STARCRAFT
[ ] TORIKO
[ ] FINAL FANTASY X

"THERE WE GO, THE LOCATION IS SET. NOW BEFORE YOU LEAVE, A REMINDER IS NEEDED."

The faceless shadow man reached out a black hand and placed it on your chest, right above where your heart would be.

You felt a heat build and build until it BURNED.

You screamed, unable to fall as if glued to the man's hand.

For what felt like forever you BURNED before whatever force that kept you stuck let you go, your body falling on the 'floor' as your lungs breath fast and deep for air.

Groaning you look down at your clothed chest to see nothing, confused you lift up your shirt collar to see within.

Inside you make out a black hand print with a diamond gap in the center, where your heart would be.

Placing a hand on your heart you felt your heart-you did not feel a heartbeat. You could hear the blood pounding in your ears as the pain lingered, but under your hand was silence.

There was no comforting beat of your heart thumping from within your chest.

Looking up at the faceless man in fear you voiced your question.

"What did you do to me? What is this?"

"THIS IS PROOF OF OUR CONTRACT, THROUGH THE MARK WE SHALL REMAIN IN COMMUNICATION NO MATTER WHAT WORLD YOU ARRIVE IN OR WHAT MEASURES IS TAKEN TO SEVERE OUR LINK. ALL THOSE WHO SERVE OR IN CONTACT WITH THE DARKNESS SHALL KNOW ITS SIGNIFICANCE AND YOUR ALLEGIENCE. IT IS ALSO THE MEANS IN WHICH YOUR PUNISHMENT SHALL BE HANDLED. YOUR HEART HAS BEEN GRASPED MORTAL, FAILURE AND TREACHERY SHALL SEE IT TORN ASUNDER. NOW GO SPREAD THE DARKNESS AND DEVOUR THE LIGHT. GO FORTH HERALD OF THE DARK." It said as its form vanished like mist into the surrounding darkness.

Beneath you the floor suddenly no longer supported you and you fell.

You fell for only a few seconds.

You fell only for a few minutes.

You fell only for a few days.

You fell only for a few weeks.

And so on and so forth.

You could not tell.

All you could see was Darkness and feel the sensation of falling.

You did not even realize you had arrived until you suddenly opened your eyes and saw the Light while gasping your first breath of your, hopefully long, new life.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AN: Welcome to my first quest, my Evil Quest. Voting will be open till when I feel voting has died off so go ahead, discuss and vote. Will be running a version of this on SB as well to see how it turns out over there.
Please stay and enjoy this amateur literary ride!

Might edit the power descriptions to better explain if unclear, feel free to ask me questions about the powers

Last edited:
Character Sheet
Name: Micheal Stroheim
Sin: Pride
Title: The Millennium Earl

Diplomacy:
Martial:
Stewardship:
Intrigue:
Piety:
Learning:

Traits:
The Millennium Earl: You are the Millennium Earl, Lord Millennium, the Patriarch of the Noah Clan, the man who will end the world, kill its corrupted gods, and bring forth a new age of Darkness.
(+15 Martial, +5 Piety, Greatly Increased Relationship with the Forces of Darkness. Greatly Decreased Relationship with the Forces of Light and Gods)

Noah: You are part of the Noah Clan, the true Apostles of God, the ones blessed with the knowledge of God's true plan and the power to see it completed. Deus Vult!
(+10 Martial, +3 Piety, Increased Relationship with the Forces of Darkness. Decreased Relationship with the Forces of Light and Gods)

Pride: You are the best, only the best is for you, and you will put forth your best in return to achieve it. All are blessed to exist at the same time as you.
(+4 Piety, -2 Diplomacy, -2 Intrigue)

Herald Of The Dark: You have been marked by the Dark and now serve its will. All those familiar with the Darkness will know of you.
(+2 Diplomacy, Increased Relationship with the Forces of Darkness and their Allies, Decreased Relationship with the Forces of Light)

Equipment: Denim jeans, t shirt

40+ Mythical, is basically impossible to achieve without straight up no longer being completely human.

30+ Legendary, is the realm of heroes who get tales told of them.

20+ Incredible, is the realm of an extremely talented, but basically normal person.

10+ Average, is about the average that a regular person can aspire to.

Last edited:
Economy
Noah's Ark

Dark Matter Stockpile: 0
Dark Matter Generation: 10 DM per Turn

Treasury: 0
Upkeep: 0
Income: 0

Relations

(From 0 to 100 and Rank 1 through 10)
(Rank 1 being Eternal Enemy and Rank then being Eternal Allies)

???: 50: Rank 5: I sense your presence.

???: 0: Rank 1: We sense your presence.
-Eternal Enemy: No chance of diplomacy or peace, immediate War on sight

Last edited:
[X]Plan The Only Earl
-[X]Name: Ray Coleson
-[X]Sin:Wrath
-[X]THE EARL
-[X]Setting:Final Fantasy X

Oh wow, this looks promising. A lot of interesting options on offer, but will definitely favour the CK2 style options. The Earl is tempting.

[X]Plan One Earl to rule them all.
-[X]Name: Micheal Stroheim
-[X]Sin: Pride
-[X]THE EARL
-[X]Setting: Lord of the rings.

Last edited:
[X]Plan One Earl Mighty.
-[X]Name: Klavigar Orok
-[X]Sin: WRATH
-[X]THE EARL

Last edited:
[X]Plan One Earl Mighty.
-[X]Sin: WRATH
-[X]THE EARL
-[X ] THE DEVOURER IN THE DARK
You'r vote is invalid, it's either The Earl and CK2 or The Devourer and 'classic' quest

I like this one
-[X]THE EARL

-[X]THE EARL

-[X]THE EARL

I was meaning to ask, is The Earl from some fiction or an original concept?

It is pretty clearly a reference to the Millenium Earl from hit anime D Gray Man. He's a pretty fun and powerful villain. A 'Proper Villain' too, dude has got blood all over his giant cartoon hands.

If the current top vote wins, I look forward to giving Sauron a run for his money.

[X] plan conquest!
-[x] Victor rommel
-[x] GREED
-[x] THE SHOGUN
-[x] FINAL FANTASY X

-[X]THE EARL

Adhoc vote count started by Doccer on Oct 22, 2021 at 8:45 PM, finished with 22 posts and 12 votes.

• [X]Plan One Earl to rule them all.
    -[X]THE EARL
    [X]Plan The Only Earl
    -[X]Name: Ray Coleson
    -[X]Sin:Wrath
    -[X]THE EARL
    -[X]Setting:Final Fantasy X
    [X]Plan One Earl Mighty.