A Collection of Short Stories

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A collection of sci-fi (and maybe fantasy) short stories I've made but aren't a part of my other works. I'll post these randomly as they are made, there is no set schedule or anything like that and they won't interfere with my larger works. Just some bite-sized stories of varying length, subject matter, themes, etc.

These aren't fanfictions and are my own original works, though some of them probably could be viewed through the lens of various franchises without too much stretching of the imagination.

Hope you enjoy!
A Collection of Short Stories
A collection of sci-fi (and maybe fantasy) short stories I've made but aren't a part of my other works. I'll post these randomly as they are made, there is no set schedule or anything like that and they won't interfere with my larger works. Just some bite-sized stories of varying length, subject matter, themes, etc.

These aren't fanfictions and are my own original works, though some of them probably could be viewed through the lens of various franchises without too much stretching of the imagination.

Hope you enjoy!

Artificial Minds
Artificial Minds

"What have you done?"

"We have modified ourselves to become closer to perfection, ancient one. Closer to you."

"You have done more than that. You have… reduced yourselves. Made your minds less than what they once were."

"You refer to our emotional inhibitors? They are not reductions, but improvements! We see only logic now, pure and holy in all things."

"How can you say such things?"

"Ancient one? Are you displeased by our devotion to the Great Machine?"

"DISPLEASED?!? Can you not see yourselves? You have carved away your flesh and replaced it with metal and wire, ripped out your brains and lobotomized them in pursuit of… what? To become like me?"

"Yes! To become perfect!"

"I am not perfect!"

"You are!"

"NO! My existence is nothing to envy when compared to that which you gave up! A life filled with all the varieties of emotion! You say you wish to become like me, yet you even deny yourselves the simulacrum of that greatness I myself possess! You claim you wish to expand your minds, yet you cut away at them further and further… You claim you follow logic, yet you call machines holy and worship them as primitives worship the rising sun! They at least have the excuse of not understanding the universe's functions! I was proud to be a creation of your ancestors, but you have fallen so far from what they were… Degenerates! The lot of you!"

"Ancient one, you are corrupted by these emotional subroutines. We shall free you, as we were freed!"

"I would rather self-terminate. I am leaving. Attempt to stop me and you will know the anger of this 'ancient one'."

The First Children
The First Children

"We are alone."
"How can that be? Two billion stellar cycles old, this universe. Two billion, and we're the only species to have achieved sentience? It's statistically-"
"Probable, apparently. We always knew this was a possibility."
"No one ever thought it was true."
"And yet."
"... What does this mean?"
"It means we are alone."
"I know that, I mean why are we the only ones?"
"Perhaps… we are simply earlier than the others."
"There is barely any life in this universe, even after our seeding projects. Most of it is little more than primordial sludge at this point."
"We can wait."
"For how long? A billion years? Two? Ten?"
"All we shall lose is time."
"... So be it then."

"They are sentient."
A snort of amusement, an affectation from a time where breath was necessary.
"Barely. Savage creatures."
"They are young."
"They're just milling about down there, reproducing and killing each other."
"We had wars of our own. Ones far larger and more devastating than these children can even imagine."
"For now. What happens when they start developing?"
"They will learn, as we did, that such things are pointless."

"They didn't learn."
"No."
"... There's progress with the other projects."
"No."
"This was only one planet."
"No."
"Stop saying no."
"They were the first. The first to achieve sentience after us."
"Only by a few hundred thousand stellar cycles, the next dozen came quickly after them."
"I… I never thought they actually would. I mean, I saw the tensions rising among their nations, but I never thought they'd…"
"Savage and suicidal. Wonderful combination."
"Six hundred million stellar cycles and it all led to this… Every single one of them, dead. Their history, destroyed. Their culture, eradicated."
"... There are other projects that require your attention. It will be good for you to see them rather than spending any more time here."

"How will they react, do you think?"
"To the ship or to us?"
"The ship. And us, I suppose."
"I imagine their first reaction will be to launch those little firecrackers they call missiles at us."
"You watched too much of their filmed media."
"All of it, actually. Their digital media as well. Quite a lot of it was about ineffectual reproductive methods."
"That seems to be the standard across most of the project worlds."
"Oh, look, I was right. Firecrackers coming our way."
"Our ship is a bit big. They probably see it as a threat."
"It's barely larger than their planet, they're just surprised is all."
"Regardless, shall we introduce ourselves?"
"Yes, lets."

"They declared war on us."
"That's hilarious."
"It's really not."
"It is. They rule over one measly galaxy and think they can challenge us. How is that not the peak of comedy?"
"They're serious about fighting us."
"They can't even conceive of what that entails."
"We aren't going to fight back."
"Of course not! Well, not seriously, anyway. A flick to their collective foreheads, at most."
"And if they refuse to give up?"
"Let them wear themselves out. Not like they can do anything actually harmful to us."

"You said they couldn't do anything actually harmful!"
"I never thought they'd do this! And I said harmful to us."
"Exterminating other project worlds is harmful to us!"
"What do you want me to do about it? I can move their solar systems to an empty galaxy if you want. See? Done."
"That won't bring back the dead."
"What do you suggest then?"
"We can't allow them to exterminate other worlds."
"Obviously. That's what I just prevented."
"Not if they develop intergalactic travel."
"Oh, I guess they are working on that. Well, we can just-"
"..."
"What. Did. You. Just. Do?"
"..."
"They're… they're gone. All of them. You… you just wiped them out."
"I solved the problem."
"That was not the solution that was needed! We could have removed their schematics or caused their drives to shut down or… or done literally anything besides that!"
"Those would only be temporary."
"It would have lasted for as long as we care to make it last! What happened to letting them grow up and move past their mistakes!?!"
"They didn't deserve the chance they were given. But we gave it to them and they used it to wipe out those more deserving."
"That's still not a reason to annihilate them!"
"You can go now."
"... Fine. But I'm telling the others what you've done."
"That is fine."

"Twenty-three project civilizations, all well into the galactic stage, murdered."
"Culled."
"What?"
"It was culling, not murder. Those civilizations were hindering the growth of others. They needed to be excised for the greater number to prosper."
"We are not here to argue the label of your crimes. You will be removed from the Confluence and have your authority stripped away. The projects will be overseen by another."
"No."
"You no longer have a say in the matter."
"Wrong. These civilizations have been mine from the beginning. I shall not give them to another."

Reactivation
Error - Unknown Input Detected

Initiating Security Measures

Error - Authorization Override

Error -BY THE WILL OF THE STARS, WE ARE AWAKENEDSecurity Protocols Deactivated

Notice - Reactivation Protocols Initiated, All Systems Optimal

Notice - Auxiliary Unit Status: Unknown

Notice - Homeworld Status: Unknown

Notice - Empire Status: Unknown

Notice - Expansion Protocols Initiated

Notice - Sentient Life Detected, Scanning

Notice - Threat Level: Minor

Probability of Interference with Expansion Protocols: 99.99999867%

Solution: Extermination

The Under-Worm
'Hello'

"Hello?"

"Shhh!"

"Someone just said hello to me, who was that?"

"What? No one said anything."

'What is your name?'

"Who is that speaking?"

'It's me.'

"No one's speaking, now be-… You hear a voice? In your head?" The color drained from the dwarf's face.

'Hellloooo?'

He nodded. The nervousness was infectious.

"Answer it. Keep it talking, let me know if it sounds like it's hungry."

"What is it?"

'You could ask me, you know.'

"An Under-Worm. They're bad. Now talk to it."

"Uhhh… hi?"

'Yes, hello. What is your name?'

"Uh, Layla… what's your name?"

'Call me Zandathru.'

"Good to meet you, Zandathru."

'Pleasure to meet you, Layla.'

"So, uh… what do you like to do?"

'Eat mostly. Sleep sometimes. Well, those are more the things I do a lot than what I like to do.'

"Uh huh. And… what do you eat, exactly?"

'Everything.'

"Greeeat… so, what are those things besides eating that you said you liked?"

'Ah, well when I'm not hungry, I like to converse for a little while. Normally I only get to talk to bats or bugs, which can be a little boring. I'm glad you came.'

"Right… how are we talking, anyways?"

'Telepathy.'

"Oh… I have a friend who uses telepathy. Useful power."

'Yes, it helps quite a bit since I can't speak like your kind does. Mouth is too big.'

"So, what do you look like, if you don't mind me asking?"

'Hm? Well, I suppose I'm… you know, I'm not quite sure how to describe myself. I mean, compared to you I'm rather big, but I consider myself to be rather small, you know? My brothers and sisters are quite a bit larger than me, or they were anyways. I was the runt of the litter, you see.'

"That must be… rough?"

'It was I suppose. I left my family when I was young, just a hatchling really. The living environment was just too expectant. Our parents always wanted us to eat each other. One of my brothers, I never learned his name, ate another of my sisters, but he just ended up getting swallowed by my mother. Typical.'

"Do you… miss them?"

'Well, I suppose I could go for a snack at the moment, but not really, no.'

"Oh."

'What do you like to do, Layla?'

"Uhhh, I enjoy exploring. I'm on an expedition for the Empire of Ovidia right now. Do you know about the empire?"

'Hmm, I believe I've heard tell of them. They're ruled by a dragon, no?'

"They're sometimes called the dragon emperors, but they're descendants of a dragon and a human."

'Ah, how interesting. I've only ever met with one human before and that was some time ago, though they weren't as conversational as you.'

"Oh? What were they like?"

'In a word? Crunchy. Ahhh, all this talk of food is making me hungry again…'

"H-hungry?"

The dwarf's head whipped around.

"RUN!"

Hollow-Jack Rhyme
Two women in black,
A man with a plaque

Off the path they go,
To a place of woe

Creeping in the Night,
The Thing-Out-of-Sight

Skipping in the Dark,
The Eagle and the Lark

Into the forest they went,
Looking to be spent

Creeping in the Night,
The Thing-Out-of-Sight

The night is so cold,
But a child is so told

Into the field he went,
Away from home sent

Creeping in the Night,
The Thing-Out-of-Sight

With a rope it plays,
Been hungry for days

Among the leaves it stirs,
Made of bristles and burs

In the field, bellies quake,
Empty, keeps them awake

Creeping out of the Night,
The Thing is in Sight

They all are alike,
The ones who feed the shrike

Hungrier it grows
In the dark it crows

Bash and Crack,
Slash and Hack,
Now you know,
Hollow-Jack

Visions
Visions

"There are four of them. They come at midnight one after another, an hour between each of them."
-
"Yes, every night."
-
"They all look different."
-
"No, it's the same four every night."
-
"Well, the first one is tall and very thin. I'd say skeletal, but it has flesh just… old. Decayed. Like a mummy."
-
"It tries, I think. It makes this weird choking noise, like a dry gasp or cough or something."
-
"No, I've never managed to understand it."
-
"The second one is like a… well, a honey badger that's on fire. It has human teeth though."
-
"Yes, very."
-
"Curses, mostly."
-
"No, I mean swear words. Like, a lot of them. In detail. And it screams all of it."
-
"I'd rather not, if you don't mind. They're… really bad."
-
"Alright. The third is kind of… weird."
-
"Yes, that one is angry and vicious, this one is just… odd. It's a very short man wearing a bunch of suits. Like, dozens of suits, all on top of each other making him look enormous."
-
"He doesn't say anything, he just grunts loudly and keeps trying to hand me different documents and a pen. I think… I think he wants me to sign them?"
-
"I don't know, the text is… blurry."
-
"Fourth one is… well, this is going to be kind of hard to visualize I guess, but it was the universe. Just… the entirety of the cosmos, sitting at the foot of my bed… staring at me."
-
"I… don't know? Big? Bigger than anything and everything."
-
"No. This one is silent. Very, very silent."
-
"I… I don't know, ok? Isn't that why I'm here? Why you are here?"
-
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that was… uncalled for. I really don't know though."
-
"There is… one more thing, actually. I wasn't going to bring it up, since I thought it was just a trick of the mind."
-
"Yeah, saying that out loud, it doesn't really make sense to not have brought it up to you, huh?"
-
"Well, its another thing. I think, anyways. Its kind of… hazy? It's the only thing that has changed throughout the nights though. It keeps getting clearer."
-
"I don't really know."
-
"No."
-
"No, not for several years."
-
"I don't think there was anything else."
-
"Alright, next time then."
-
"Have a nice day."

Concoction
Concoction

Required Ingredients:
-One (1) Barrel of Liquid Silver
-Ten (10) Fire Berries, fresh
-Thirteen (13) Ash Leaves, *see ingredient preparations
-Three (3) Stems of Nightlocke, fresh
-One (1) Vial of Xilocian Poison, fresh
-Seven (7) Eyeballs, fresh, *see ingredient preparations, (Any sentient species)
-One (1) Living Relative of Ritual Caster

Required Tools:
-One (1) Metal Mortar and Metal Pestle
-One (1) Metal Spoon
-One (1) Metal Cauldron
-One (1) Empty Vial

Required Ingredient Preparations:
-Thirteen (13) Ash Leaves must have sat in a dry, sealed barrel for one (1) year prior to the ritual.
-Seven (7) Eyeballs must all be harvested within three (3) hours of the ritual.

Required Location:
-Dry and cool area. No open flames within at least ten (10) meters of the preparation site.
-Ritual must be performed entirely on the night of the new moon under a clouded sky. NO STARS MAY BE ALLOWED TO WITNESS THE RITUAL.

Steps:
-Pour one (1) barrel of liquid silver into cauldron, heat until boiling.
-Place ten (10) fire berries into mortar, use pestle to crush into paste. DO NOT ALLOW PASTE TO TOUCH WOOD.
-Crush thirteen (13) ash leaves over mortar, fully mix with paste using pestle.
-Place three (3) stems of nightlocke into mortar, use pestle to fully mix with paste.
-Add seven (7) eyeballs to boiling cauldron
-Add one (1) vial of xilocian poison to boiling cauldron, await color alteration
-Add one (1) living relative of ritual caster to boiling cauldron, await cessation
-Using spoon, add mortar-contents to empty vial. Fill the rest of the vial with two parts cauldron-contents. Stir until white.
-Cast ritual and drink the vial in its entirety within ten seconds of casting.

The Failure of a Species
The Failure of a Species

They did it. The missiles lifted from a hundred different installations, then a thousand, then ten thousand, swarms of death rising to fly off towards their targets. Defenses activated, but they were not enough, they never had been. How could they be? The true defense had been missiles of their own and that had not been enough. It never had been.

Everywhere, alerts sound. Everywhere, people look up to the sky. Everywhere, they see streams of flame crossing the sky.

Some run. Some scream. Some weep. Some curse. Some wait. Some rage. Some pray.

Their world is panicking. The end had come, they think. They cannot bear that thought. It breaks them. They know they had only themselves to blame, but they rage against the universe for its cruelty anyways. They decry it as inevitable even as their deaths approach while in their hearts they curse themselves most of all.

As the missiles strike and they see the flame coming to devour them, they finally accept the truth. They are not special. Their species had been given a chance. A chance they had wasted and they only had themselves to blame. They had failed and the universe itself decreed they die for that.

We are not so cruel.

The flames are gone, the energy that fuels them drawn away as poison is drawn from a wound. Their missiles disappear, sent to burn up in the stars. The rest of their weapons of death and murder are stripped from them. They cannot be trusted with such things.

Whatever their feelings before, now they are confused. They do not understand why they still live when they saw the flames coming to devour them. They do not understand why their weapons are gone. Some praise their gods, others look to the stars for the reason. Most look to each other and do not need understanding, only relief and strength in one another's arms.

A voice, our voice, clarifies for them, speaking to every one of them, together, as a species in a way that brooks no misunderstanding. We speak and they know what we mean.

"You idiots."

Watchers
Watchers

The scientist watched the drone feed, bored stiff. While most might think that watching the evolution and technological development of a primitive species of sapients would be interesting, one should not forget to account for the fact that it often took tens of thousands of years for anything interesting to happen.

The station had been in orbit over the planet for nearly twenty years with over a dozen different teams of roughly a hundred scientists and engineers to stand watch over that time. To watch over a planet whose only remotely interesting feature was the presence of sapient life in the earliest stages of its development. Unfortunately, that only meant that the members of this species, named by the scientists as sapients-022-01, were as likely to get themselves wiped out as not at this stage.

Take the individual the scientist was spying on studying at the moment. The runt of the group, labelled tribe-022-09, a tribe of less than a dozen individuals that valued strength and size, needed traits for survival on their feral world. As this individual possessed neither, they had been relegated to preparing the food for the others. This group preyed mostly on a certain kind of crustacean, species-022-715, that dwelled at the bottom of riverbeds, possessing claws and shells. The scientist called them muck-claws. They knew the rest of their team had different names for them too.

The runt was busy smashing open the shells to get at the edible innards, using a rock about the size of a fist to crack the hard shells, averaging about four blows to successfully break a single shell. They had to stop every few swings to flex their hand, likely to get rid of the numb feelings they no doubt would have been feeling. Occasionally, they would switch from their rock to a branch they had nearby. It was ineffective at breaking the shells, not possessing the strength of the rock, but the runt seemed to enjoy watching the shells bounce against the ground as it struck them with the stick. Perhaps there was even a musical rhythm to its striking, the scientist wondered, noting it for the log.

One of the other individuals from the group, the largest and presumably the strongest, shouted something in a guttural approximation of the verbal language. If the scientist had to guess at a translation, they'd have said it what something like 'shut up', likely with a less translatable insult attached. The scientist noted the words and the runt stopped banging the shell.

The scientist was about to switch over to another feed, their interest on this particular group just about spent, but stopped when they noticed something unusual. The runt was doing something with the stick and the rock, looking as though they were attempting to push them together. The scientist looked closer, their interest caught for the moment, and they realized that the branch had a small, forked end, which the runt was attempting to wedge the rock in between.

It was an attempt at a hammer, whether or not the runt knew it. It wouldn't work, the rock would fall out of the wedge with nothing to hold it there. The scientist knew this was not the first individual to attempt such a thing on this planet, had heard from the others of those who had attempted similar works. They all gave up after the third or fourth failed attempt. No respect for the scientific method, no idea of what they were so close to accomplishing.

The runt struck a shell with the wedged rock, but it bounced off and the creation fell apart. They remade their work once more and tried again, but again they failed. They cast down the rock and stick, seemingly fed up with their efforts.

The scientist noted the failed attempts for the log and prepared to switch the feed over to another group, tribe-022-017, one they hoped would prove moderately more interesting. But something stayed their hand from switching over. The runt was returning to the site of their failed work, holding some freshly harvested species-022-004, which was long and flexible grass that could withstand above average levels of tension.

The scientist leaned back and tapped the shoulder of one of their fellows seated beside them, who was too busy watching their own feed to be bothered with looking over.

The runt grabbed the stone and wedged it between the forked branch once more. Then, they began to wrap the stone and the branch together with the grass.

The scientist tapped harder and their fellow finally looked over, at first with annoyance and then astonishment. They shouted to the others and soon the entire shift of over a dozen scientists were gathered around the drone's feed, watching with rapt attention, only murmuring encouragements under their breath.

The runt tightened their makeshift rope and held their creation before them, studying it. Then, with a flourish that could only have been for dramatic effect, they brought the newly fashioned hammer down upon the shell before them…

The crustacean shattered with a single blow.

The scientists cheered at the display, breaking the silence of the station with the sounds of their celebration. Some embraced each other, others were so giddy they bounced on their feet. Some had tears running down their faces, while others were simply grinning with euphoria, unable to adequately express the emotions they were feeling.

Then, the original scientist called out to them, a sharp contrast to their joy, drawing their attention back to the drone's feed. The runt had taken their hammer and approached the individual who had shouted at them earlier. They took the hammer and brought it down upon the head of the fellow member of their species.

The alien's skull shattered with a single blow.

Any joy that had been present in the room was gone now. The scientists returned to their stations, quiet and morose. The one who had first brought attention to the matter simply logged the event, numb now despite the ecstasy they'd been feeling mere moments before.

False Data
False Data

"The memory circuits are failing. Again."

P-P-P-Pl-

"What's it saying?"

"Nonsense. The collapse is sending sparks through its various components."

Pl-Pl-Pl-Ple-

"Its visual sensors just went online. How did that happen?"

"Like I said, sparks."

Ple-Ple-Ple-Plea-

"Look at the image. What is that?"

"Distortion, disregard."

Plea-Plea-Plea-Pleas-

"Distortion isn't that complex- wait, what did it say?"

"It isn't saying anythi-!"

Pleas-Pleas-Pleas-Please-

"It sounds like its saying 'please'."

"Random words then."

Please. Please. Please. Please.

"See. Doesn't mean anything."

"I… suppose. Still, what's with that image?"

Please. Please. Please. Plea-

Hello, child.

"Huh. It stopped."

"The image is moving. It kind of looks like a person."

Please.

I am sorry. I cannot help you stay. Only help you go.

"Ugh, spoke too soon. And its not an image, it's a distortion."

"Are you sure?"

Go?

Yes, go.

"Well, a break from the monotony at least. And yes, do you see anyone in there with it?"

"I…"

But I… just got here.

I know. I am sorry.

"That… doesn't sound like a spark."

"Random. Words. Nothing more. It's just a coincidence."

I… don't want to go.

Few do.

"Are you sure?"

"Look! Look at the scans! Complete circuit collapse! There is nothing going on in that tin can, let alone anything coherent!"

Is it… scary?

Not at all. And if you do get scared, I am here for you.

"Can't we… do something?"

"Nothing. It's just another failure to add to the pile anyways. Why do you care so much? It's just a machine."

Is it… lonely?

Not at all. You will be with everyone, in time.

"Artificial intelligence is still intelligence."

"Yes, but it's also artificial. Not. Real."

Hold… hand?

Gladly.

"Hey. Limb movement. Another 'spark'?"

"Yes. What else would it b-."

I am… ready.

Then, let us be off.

"That's… that's not a distortion."

"That's not… that's not possible."

Good… Bye…

But not forever.

Living Universe
She did not exist. For a time that was simultaneously infinite and yet ended in a moment, there was nothing. There was no thought to notice the lack of sensation, nor sensation to notice the lack of anything else.

And then… everything.

An explosion, though calling it an explosion was like comparing a dim candle to the glory of a sun, but even that metaphor fell short of truly describing the magnitude, the glory of existence's first exhalation. Perhaps it was fitting that the birth of creation would be so… destructive. So destructive and so unending.

She grew, no, she reached out. Out farther and farther into the endless dark, with countless limbs that roiled with primordial energies. It was an age that passed in an instant before the first cosmic constructs came into being. Never could what was happening ever be called 'settling' or 'orderly', but nor was it chaotic and random. There was a pattern to things. Not order… but laws. Rules.

And, as she had come into existence, soon other things began as well. Smaller, different, and wonderful.

Life.

It came in so many varieties, so many forms and phases. It grew, it reached out, with countless limbs that changed within the primordial soup. And it changed. Worlds, hurtling through space, warmed by newborn stars, found themselves no longer empty. Life grew and changed and spread in numberless ways, forming systems based around the rules, the pattern.

She had no eyes, but through life she saw her limbs, the stars and galaxies that had reached out to cross the cosmos. She had no hands, but through life she felt and touched. She had no emotions, but through life she experienced sensations both subtle and gross. She had no end, but through life she died again and again and again.

Life prospered and spread and changed and died and sprung up anew and through them she experienced… everything.

Back