40K multiverse

Mak Taru

Stop hugging me
I know there are various vague quotes floating around about Chaos and the Warp connecting to different universes and such, but have we ever actually seen alternate/parallel universes in lore?

I'm looking for something like a story where a ship gets lost in the Warp and emerges in a universe where the Horus Heresy never happened, or the Imperium was eaten by the Tyranids, etc.

Basically, are there any canon examples of different universes other than vague quotes mentioning them?

The closest I can find is the idea that Warhammer Fantasy is a different universe and the Chaos Gods there are the exact same ones as in 40K, making them multiversal, but AFAIK that's just fanon and isn't confirmed in any official material.

Pretty sure Kaeldor Draigo makes a cameo during the Warhammer Fantasy Endtimes, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you in what book or whatever. Skaven also contacted a Craftworld in that series from what I know.

Fantasy obviously had a branching timeline with the whole Nemesis crown debacle. Possibly more based on some Bretonnian characters getting into really weird scenarios. See here: Alternate Timelines

Maybe the Starchild plotline could be considered an alternate 40k timeline given how it was fairly well developed but then completely retconned.

It depends I think on how one defines these things.

EDIT: Bloodbowl is probably the most obvious branching timeline. It's not at all tied to 40k though, for all it's other horrors 40k might be the most stable Warhammer universe on a meta level.

Last edited:
I remember that the 60k fanfic "The Eridani Records" had some references about some kind of connections to Star Trek, Babylpon 5, Orion's Arm etc. Not sure if that counts as a multiverse, was that idea explored or abandoned by the author?

Back