2023-AT-09: Staff and dasherdancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think this is just extremely cut and dry. Dasherdancer has a major history of Islamphobia and transphobia on the site, which the user had elected to continue upon in this appeal rather than try to make an actual defense. It would not have helped considering the contents of his infraction but he tried to turn this into his soapbox more than anything else. So on the merits of the infractions I would be guided to permaban even without the Pirate Principle.

With it, things do not change. This is being advanced under the second point of the Pirate Principle, namely that the user has shown that they reject SV's rules through sets of patterns. Which is patently obvious with the habit of dasherdancer's to edit or delete posts after they occurred, in the pursuit of being unreportable so that they could get away with what they were saying. However, we do have deletion and edit records which can let us see the contents at this point, and it is telling.

[X] Permaban

I don't really think there's too much to be said here. A user with a history of hateful attitudes who doesn't seem at all willing to change or admit to bad behaviour.

At this point, given the user's record and the loathsome prejudices that they have displayed so far, I don't see any reason to have them on the site.

[X] Permaban

Help Wanted:

Web Forum Troll Poster

Qualifications Required:

Witty persistent poster who advances absurdist positions to liven up the lives
of the posters who have gotten to set in their ways, one who can disrupt the
tired circular arguments had over and over in New & Politics skillfully and
while generating funny reports that amuse the staff and raise morale without
falling into the lame, facile, frankly juvenile trap of racism, xenophobia, anti-
LGBT rhetoric, and all the other things that make people woefully miserable
to be around. We will keep kicking such people out until they get the message
that hate is not funny, useful, or welcome, it only makes your world smaller,
and the world is so very very small already, it doesn't need the help of the
smallminded to shrink it further down until it becomes a cage.

Payscale and Benefits:

You will be paid in Funnies and, in the case of N&P, in Insightful ratings,
usually. We do not offer healthcare as investing heavily in posting on a
webforum is inherently unhealthy and therefore we cannot get any insurance
to work with us. This is a tragedy and we hope our cadre of lawyers will one
day resolve this matter, but it is a long term project, and no resolution should
be expected or relied upon.

Useful Skills:

Word Processing
Improv Training
Tabletop Gaming Experience
A Bizarre Hobby
A Husband on the Supreme Court
The Ability to Do It Manually

Avoiding situations like this where I must [x] Permaban

Information: Final vote tally and subsequent action
final vote tally and subsequent action @Council,

I'd like to thank you for your attentions on this Permaban Tribunal. Removing a user from Sufficient Velocity permanently is not something undertaken without due consideration and the Council's input on this is a valued one. With the discussion and voting period over, and seventeen (17) of the Council having their voices heard, the unanimous decision was that the Staff had made a valid case for removing this user from Sufficient Velocity.

As such, the permaban will be levied effective immediately.

Per standard Tribunal procedure, we will now have two (2) days for any relevant discussion (policy, Tribunal, or otherwise) to brought up by the Directors or Administrators for consideration. At the end of this period, this Tribunal will be published per usual.

Thank you.

Information: Administrative note
administrative note
As a note in order to maintain transparency....

It was decided that the Tribunal accompanying thread containing the Appellant's deleted posts from both the https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/lgbt-community-thread.46640/ and the Alt History ideas, rec and general dicussion thread Discussion threads was not going to be published along with this Tribunal. It will be retained for Staff reference and record keeping purposes, but the remaining posts by the Appellant in threads and in this Tribunal itself feel sufficient to support and illustrate Staff's case.

Ultimately, the Appellant's deleted comments do not need an additional exposure. They can stay removed, where future users won't have to stumble across them and potentially feel alienated and unwelcome on Sufficient Velocity.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back