2017 Washington D.C replaced with past version.

Teen Spirit

Lost in Ever After
Pronouns
He/Him
Something I've been wondering about. What would happen if on Inauguration day, D.C was replaced with past version of it's self. Say D.C from Inauguration day 2009? Would the newly sworn in Obama adminstration and Congress have the legal right to rule or would their be need for an emergency election? How screwed up is this situation going to be, both legally and in general?

Alternatively, What if it was replaced with D.C from 1969?

Something I've been wondering about. What would happen if on Inauguration day, D.C was replaced with past version of it's self. Say D.C from Inauguration day 2009? Would the newly sworn in Obama adminstration and Congress have the legal right to rule or would their be need for an emergency election? How screwed up is this situation going to be, both legally and in general?

I'm pretty sure time paradoxes are not actually covered in the US legal system. On the other hand, seeing as I'm fairly sure that Trump and much of his cabinet were not in DC on the day of the 2009 inauguration they would effectively have ceased to exist in our timeline.

A better question might be if the 2017 inauguration was ISOTed to 2009 would Trump still be President or would Obama get another (subjective) four more years?

Last edited:
I think it would default to an emergency election just as if everyone in DC died.

Anyone from a future version of DC would have a definitive advantage of "Hey, I know the future", but would have also come with the doubts that they maybe actually a demon, fair folk, alien etc.

Also, because speculating on bullshit is something that intelligence agencies actually do, there are probably some policy documents in place for various forms of time travel, but they wouldn't have much in the way of legal weight.

Last edited:
Back