11th Community Council Elections - 2023-2024 Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

foamy

Lying liar who lies.
Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome, everyone.

It is once again August, and that means it is also once again time for the election of SV's Community Council for the next year. Last year's election thread can be found here.

Council Role

The Council is a unique Sufficient Velocity institution; it is a body, currently of eighteen people, selected from and by our users, to act as their voice and representatives in the administration of Sufficient Velocity. They participate directly in our policy discussions, act as the final stage in hearing appeals regarding Staff actions, and in general provide oversight and guidance on a wide variety of topics. It is an important duty.

Electing the Council

Councillors are chosen every August, and are seated at the beginning of September. Council members are chosen through a two-stage election process, which every user may participate in.

In the first stage, Councillors are nominated for election. Any user may nominate up to five users, themselves included.

The thirty-six users with the highest number of nominations will proceed to the election. They will receive a banner on SV marking them as a candidate for election, be given a matching role on the SV Discord server, and asked to make a short statement, which will be published in a randomized order in the election thread, about why they deserve your vote.

You can join the elections discussion on the same Discord server where we hold Townhalls and other public events. Connect your SV and Discord accounts here to join the official SV Discord and participate. A meet-the-candidates event is planned for the weekend of August 26-27 during the election!

The election itself will be a simple poll. You may vote for any number of candidates; vote for the ones you wish to see on the Council, don't vote ones you don't wish to see there. The top eighteen eligible people will become next year's Council.

Eligibility

In order to be nominated or elected, a user must:

• Not have declined nomination or election;
  • The account must be more than 120 days old and have more than 40 posts;
  • Not be a Staff member;
  • Not be permanently banned from SV or any subforum thereof (including self-requested ones);
  • And not been banned from seeking election.

In addition, if the user is a Councillor they must have met the activity requirements. Further, to ensure turnover, a maximum of nine (9) Councillors may be re-elected. If more than that place in the top half during the election, the person with the next-highest vote total will move up.

Campaigning Rules

We would love you to talk to your friends about the election, and to encourage them to nominate candidates and vote. However, nobody here's running for a national office, so no slating, vote-stuffing, bribery, or other chicanery, please.

Timeline

Update: Due to RL issues for me there has been some timeline slippage. Dates & times revised:

• 0000 (midnight) August 14th, UTC-6: Nominations open
  • 2359 August 20th, UTC-7: Nominations close
    [*]0000 (midnight) August 24th, UTC-6: Voting opens
  • 0000 (midnight) August 29th, UTC-6: Voting opens
    [*]Weekend of August 26th-27th, Date & time TDB: Discord townhall with nominees
    [*]2359 August 31st, UTC-6: Voting closes
  • 2359 Sept 4th, UTC-6: Voting closes

Current status:

Nominations are now open! Use the official nominations thread to submit your nominees!

Nominations are now closed! Thank you to everyone who participated.

Voting is now closed!

Last edited:
You get elected on nothing but N&P posts or you don't, everything else is cheating and disrespect for the art :V
I was once elected for... reasons? I forget why, I think some people just thought I would be funny. Maybe I should post in N&P too, to fuel my ego...

Warning: Candidate disqualification
candidate disqualification
I have some unfortunate news. It has come to my attention that one candidate, @Scrivener, has subjected other members and Staff of SV to abuse of a Rule 2 violating nature on Discord, of such severity that I cannot allow them to serve on the Council.

I am deeply reluctant to intervene in a Council election's results in this fashion. At the beginning of the election process, I was aware that Scrivener had been banned from the Town Hall Discord server over these incidents, but did not know of the specifics. On that basis I allowed them to stand for nomination and, in fact, lifted their Discord ban to allow Scrivener to participate in the candidate town hall we held on Saturday.

However, once the election voting had concluded, I was approached with further details of the events that had led to their ban from the Discord. These details made it very clear that allowing Scrivener to stand for nomination had been an error, and I should have disallowed their nomination at that stage in the process.

In the future, the Council election qualifications will be revised to include that candidates must be in good standing on the Town Hall Discord, to guard against a recurrence and avoid such a last-minute alteration.

the 2023-2024 council
As a result, our Council for the coming year will consist of:

@The Laurent
314​
1​
@Omicron
309​
2​
@Maugan Ra
278​
3​
@Estro
258​
4​
@Wind-Up Citrus
244​
5​
@Nyvis
215​
6​
@BiopunkOtrera
212​
7​
@Pawn Lelouch
210​
8​
@FantasticMsFox
199​
9​
@Strypgia
198​
10​
@Ralson
198​
11​
@PoptartProdigy
183​
12​
@The_Letter_K
180​
13​
@Khona Moshr
172​
14​
@prometheus110
161​
15​
@Sara
145​
16​
@khan2012
140​
17​
@all fictions
128​
18​

Thank you all very much for your time and attention. The new Council should be seated and begin their term by the weekend of the 9th of September.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back