Weaponry Dominion (Worm x Familiar of Zero/ZnT)

I suspect shards will still be susceptible to natural selection encouraging cooperation and integration with humans until a mutation occurs that allows a shard to diverge from the standard "acquire human host, take directions from them" model of operation that most shards (with only one non-exception as the source of the species on this world) use, which is a likely very specific and complicated mutation because it greatly diverges from the existing model. As such, it is unlikely to occur in the earlier period of development where there are few shards, as there are fewer opportunities for the mutation to occur. And by the time the mutation does occur, humans and shards should be common enough and connected enough to effectively interact with the divergent shard, one way or another.
Are you forgetting that the current state of the shard is to encourage the destruction of humans? Causing aggression in the prey species? It might work with the particular host to do so but... the main drive is causing conflict. Killing the host species. It is their prime directive. Unless the Void changes that, without the overmind behind it to direct the amount of killing, it is very likely to go into overdrive rather than "cooperation".

Now, if cooperating was helpful to them in some manner? Then sure, they'd likely evolve in that direction. But these aren't like potential symbiotes, where they need something we provide, and we need something they provide, so as a mutually beneficial species we evolve to work together and become co-dependent. Shards can survive without hosts, just as they always have when on their home planet, as well as when in transit. And worse, we don't provide a single thing they need.

We fulfill no need for them, with which to encourage this evolution into your idyllic symbiotic race.

As such, they are more like viruses, killing the host species, since we aren't their original host that they were adapted to. Worse, these are a biological weapon, specifically tweaked to kill us. You're imagining a bio-weapon escaping the facility and suddenly turning into a healing germ.

It's a bit much.

There is no bias towards cooperation in evolution. There is a bias to survival. Cooperation is a mere side-effect and there is nothing they gain by cooperating with us, so there is no reason for the evolution to head in that direction. That's why while animals may go for living in packs, the predator doesn't start cooperating with the prey. They cooperate with the other predators in their own race to better hunt the prey. And not even always then. You are blatantly ignoring that not all races evolve this way, and even the ones that do don't help their prey.

We
gain from them, so we would evolve more to suit them, but unless we found something to produce that they needed, (which would require knowing they exist in the first place since we don't naturally, and no one does, not even Taylor) we would simply die out as they progressed along their pre-directed path.

These things don't simply evolve like normal things on earth. They are sentient, and direct their evolution consciously. With that in mind, they know they need to hurt us, and would evolve as best they could along that path.

Worse, what if the Shard, is not just affected by the Void? What if the Shard while being affected, also affects the Void user? I can easily see the changes being two-way here, magic bullshit meeting space whale bullshit and neither being the same in the end.

Void users who seek conflict and have more aggression? Fuck this world after that.

Last edited:
Are you forgetting that the current state of the shard is to encourage the destruction of humans? Causing aggression in the prey species? It might work with the particular host to do so but... the main drive is causing conflict. Killing the host species. It is their prime directive. Unless the Void changes that, without the overmind behind it to direct the amount of killing, it is very likely to go into overdrive rather than "cooperation".
That's a fair point, and while I have changed my post since you quoted it, it remains valid. But a parasitic species that harms its host species too much will naturally be harmed in turn, as the host species cannot support as many parasites (lower population of humans with a constant 1 to 1 shard:human ratio means less shards can operate, and thus interact to create offspring). Assuming such a destruction doesn't occur rapidly enough to make evolution irrelevant (this is a flawed assumption, I'll admit), the shard species would be forced to separate from human hosts or implement a way to avoid harming the human population (as defined by the population falling significantly and consistently). This all fails when human populations fall rapidly enough due to conflict that shards can't develop a response in time, which is a plausible result given the destruction that can be seen in Worm canon.

Now, if cooperating was helpful to them in some manner? Then sure, they'd likely evolve in that direction. But these aren't like potential symbiotes, where they need something we provide, and we need something they provide, so as a mutually beneficial species we evolve to work together and become co-dependent. Shards can survive without hosts, just as they always have when on their home planet, as well as when in transit. And worse, we don't provide a single thing they need.

We fulfill no need for them, with which to encourage this evolution into your idyllic symbiotic race.

As such, they are more like viruses, killing the host species, since we aren't their original host that they were adapted to. Worse, these are a biological weapon, specifically tweaked to kill us. You're imagining a bio-weapon escaping the facility and suddenly turning into a healing germ.

It's a bit much.

There is no bias towards cooperation in evolution. There is a bias to survival. Cooperation is a mere side-effect and there is nothing they gain by cooperating with us, so there is no reason for the evolution to head in that direction. That's why while animals may go for living in packs, the predator doesn't start cooperating with the prey. They cooperate with the other predators in their own race to better hunt the prey. And not even always then. You are blatantly ignoring that not all races evolve this way, and even the ones that do don't help their prey.

We
gain from them, so we would evolve more to suit them, but unless we found something to produce that they needed, (which would require knowing they exist in the first place since we don't naturally, and no one does, not even Taylor) we would simply die out as they progressed along their pre-directed path.

These things don't simply evolve like normal things on earth. They are sentient, and direct their evolution consciously. With that in mind, they know they need to hurt us, and would evolve as best they could along that path.

I'd agree entirely with what you're saying here (if to a less extreme extent), except for one key clause which I question:

But these aren't like potential symbosites, where they need something we provide, and we need something they provide. Shards can survive without hosts, just as they always have when on their home planet, as well as when in transit.

This I find troublesome because while shards can survive without humans, their reproductive mechanism is dependent on humans in that a shard can only bud (AFAIK) when they have been in interaction with a host for an extended period, and the bud can only be hosted by a relatively close-by human. As such, while they can survive in absence of a host, they (as they currently are) cannot effectively evolve (in a conventional way, with mutations occurring in the reproductive process) without humans. Due to this, they are encouraged to not kill off the human species because doing so slows or stops evolution in those populations where they do so, allowing populations that don't excessively harm humanity to grow more rapidly and out-compete the most extremely conflict-encouraging shard groups.
Note that I do not say "cooperate" or similar in the above; instead I say "don't excessively harm" because while you're right that evolution isn't likely to encourage cooperation or similar, I doubt the extinction would be allowed by anyone as with the removal of local shards from any higher coordinating intelligence they won't be able to all relocate to a different species.

These things don't simply evolve like normal things on earth. They are sentient, and direct their evolution consciously.
This was something I was not aware shards did. Can I get a citation? Nonetheless, if they are sentient enough to direct their own evolution consciously (as you say) they should be sentient enough to realize that killing off humanity won't do them any good. Perhaps encouraging conflict because they think they need it to develop, but enough so that the species dies off or is shrunk enough to no longer effectively provide conflict (less people to get into conflicts -> less possible conflict) would be directly counterproductive.

Overall, I agree that my initial proposal was too extreme to be likely, though your answer is in my opinion similarly problematic.

------------------------------

My basic assumptions, from which I'm coming to my conclusions are as follows:
  1. Shards will only reproduce once their host has collected sufficient experiences/data.
  2. the results of said reproduction must be hosted by another, specifically one who has been in contact with the source shard's host.
  3. The only known viable host species present is humanity.
  4. Shards may encourage conflict, but it is not a complete necessity.
  5. Shards at the start will encourage conflict.
  6. Conflict harms human populations.
  7. Population harm due to conflict is sufficient to cause a decline in population number.
  8. Humans can host a finite (likely low, possibly 1) number of shards.
  9. Humans often form groups, often interacting much less with those outside the group than with those in it.
  10. Separate groups may follow different paths from other groups.
  11. Both species can change, increasing or decreasing the prominence of certain behaviors.
  12. Parts of species who have separated can change in different ways.
  13. Separated groups can come into competition, with one eventually diminishing as the other grows.
  14. Humanity is sufficiently divided for separate groups to explore any and all significant paths.
  15. Groups are sufficiently geographically spread out to prevent damage to one damaging them all.
  16. The initial shard conflict model is one that causes a sharp decline in populations, up to extinctions.
  17. Shard population is the only relevant metric by which groups can be measured, with a higher value being better.
  18. Things will occur slowly enough for changes to be felt before either species falls to extinction.
From this I am deriving that: (relevant assumptions in parentheses)
  1. Shards are dependent on humans for reproduction. (assumptions 1-3)
  2. An excess of conflict would cause a fall in the number of shards that can be hosted at any one time through a human population drop. (4, 6-8)
  3. If human populations are sufficiently divided, a group that has less than the initial target conflict will occur, as will one that has more and one that stays constant. (9-12, 14)
  4. Divisions in human population will cause similar divisions in shard population. (2)
And thus (assumptions in parentheses) [1st conclusions in brackets]
  1. Excess conflict can cause possible shard population to fall for that group [1, 2, 4]
  2. The above will occur in some groups and in some it won't. [3]
  3. Groups with excess conflict will end up with a lower shard population than those without. [2] (15)
  4. All groups with worm-standard conflict causing and worse will experience excess conflict. [2] (16)
  5. Groups with excess conflict will come into competition with those that avoid it. [3 ](13)
  6. Groups with greater shard populations will out-compete those with lower shard populations. (17)
Finally, this gives us:
  • Groups with less inciting conflict than worm indicates will out-compete those who have more or an equal amount.
  • Conflict will fall until human populations are able to rise or remain constant, at which point further decreasing conflict is no longer necessary.

That's a fair point, and while I have changed my post since you quoted it, it remains valid. But a parasitic species that harms its host species too much will naturally be harmed in turn, as the host species cannot support as many parasites (lower population of humans with a constant 1 to 1 shard:human ratio means less shards can operate, and thus interact to create offspring). Assuming such a destruction doesn't occur rapidly enough to make evolution irrelevant (this is a flawed assumption, I'll admit), the shard species would be forced to separate from human hosts or implement a way to avoid harming the human population (as defined by the population falling significantly and consistently). This all fails when human populations fall rapidly enough due to conflict that shards can't develop a response in time, which is a plausible result given the destruction that can be seen in Worm canon.

I'd agree entirely with what you're saying here (if to a less extreme extent), except for one key clause which I question:

This I find troublesome because while shards can survive without humans, their reproductive mechanism is dependent on humans in that a shard can only bud (AFAIK) when they have been in interaction with a host for an extended period, and the bud can only be hosted by a relatively close-by human. As such, while they can survive in absence of a host, they (as they currently are) cannot effectively evolve (in a conventional way, with mutations occurring in the reproductive process) without humans. Due to this, they are encouraged to not kill off the human species because doing so slows or stops evolution in those populations where they do so, allowing populations that don't excessively harm humanity to grow more rapidly and out-compete the most extremely conflict-encouraging shard groups.
Note that I do not say "cooperate" or similar in the above; instead I say "don't excessively harm" because while you're right that evolution isn't likely to encourage cooperation or similar, I doubt the extinction would be allowed by anyone as with the removal of local shards from any higher coordinating intelligence they won't be able to all relocate to a different species.

This was something I was not aware shards did. Can I get a citation? Nonetheless, if they are sentient enough to direct their own evolution consciously (as you say) they should be sentient enough to realize that killing off humanity won't do them any good. Perhaps encouraging conflict because they think they need it to develop, but enough so that the species dies off or is shrunk enough to no longer effectively provide conflict (less people to get into conflicts -> less possible conflict) would be directly counterproductive.

Overall, I agree that my initial proposal was too extreme to be likely, though your answer is in my opinion similarly problematic.

------------------------------

My basic assumptions, from which I'm coming to my conclusions are as follows:
  1. Shards will only reproduce once their host has collected sufficient experiences/data.
  2. the results of said reproduction must be hosted by another, specifically one who has been in contact with the source shard's host.
  3. The only known viable host species present is humanity.
  4. Shards may encourage conflict, but it is not a complete necessity.
  5. Shards at the start will encourage conflict.
  6. Conflict harms human populations.
  7. Population harm due to conflict is sufficient to cause a decline in population number.
  8. Humans can host a finite (likely low, possibly 1) number of shards.
  9. Humans often form groups, often interacting much less with those outside the group than with those in it.
  10. Separate groups may follow different paths from other groups.
  11. Both species can change, increasing or decreasing the prominence of certain behaviors.
  12. Parts of species who have separated can change in different ways.
  13. Separated groups can come into competition, with one eventually diminishing as the other grows.
  14. Humanity is sufficiently divided for separate groups to explore any and all significant paths.
  15. Groups are sufficiently geographically spread out to prevent damage to one damaging them all.
  16. The initial shard conflict model is one that causes a sharp decline in populations, up to extinctions.
  17. Shard population is the only relevant metric by which groups can be measured, with a higher value being better.
  18. Things will occur slowly enough for changes to be felt before either species falls to extinction.
From this I am deriving that: (relevant assumptions in parentheses)
  1. Shards are dependent on humans for reproduction. (assumptions 1-3)
  2. An excess of conflict would cause a fall in the number of shards that can be hosted at any one time through a human population drop. (4, 6-8)
  3. If human populations are sufficiently divided, a group that has less than the initial target conflict will occur, as will one that has more and one that stays constant. (9-12, 14)
  4. Divisions in human population will cause similar divisions in shard population. (2)
And thus (assumptions in parentheses) [1st conclusions in brackets]
  1. Excess conflict can cause possible shard population to fall for that group [1, 2, 4]
  2. The above will occur in some groups and in some it won't. [3]
  3. Groups with excess conflict will end up with a lower shard population than those without. [2] (15)
  4. All groups with worm-standard conflict causing and worse will experience excess conflict. [2] (16)
  5. Groups with excess conflict will come into competition with those that avoid it. [3 ](13)
  6. Groups with greater shard populations will out-compete those with lower shard populations. (17)
Finally, this gives us:
  • Groups with less inciting conflict than worm indicates will out-compete those who have more or an equal amount.
  • Conflict will fall until human populations are able to rise or remain constant, at which point further decreasing conflict is no longer necessary.
Well, seeing as we're going way OT? Shoot me a PM and I'll get back to ya tomorrow. It's night here and I have work in the morning.

their reproductive mechanism is dependent on humans in that a shard can only bud (AFAIK) when they have been in interaction with a host for an extended period, and the bud can only be hosted by a relatively close-by human.
Mm, no, not exactly. Shards budding is not their reproduction mechanism in the way that, say, an amobea budding and dividing is. It's more like a tree or a neuron forming a new branch. The branch (bud) can go different places than the existing ones, but it's still part of the same tree/neuron (shard).

IIRC, Word of Wildbow has it that shards can connect to more than one human, and there's another piece implying that this is how budding works. I'd have to dig a bit.

Possible, but I'm not convinced it would get to that point. Depending on how fast things happened, humans could reach extinction levels before shards start adapting to be less harmful/predatory to humans.

This was something I was not aware shards did. Can I get a citation?
This is definitely what the Entities are doing in Worm. I'm not sure whether the shards have enough to be doing it at the shard-level.

Groups with excess conflict will end up with a lower shard population than those without. [2] (15)
Even given your other premesises, I'm not sure this follows. This supposes that (1) shards would spread to a group with "lower conflict", which I don't see how, & (2) that said group would remain "lower conflict".

(A group with shards connected remaining "lower conflict" would require much of what I think I know about trigger events to be wrong, whether it was wrong-to-begin-with or became-wrong-because-something-changed.)

Noncanon Deleted Scene: Fight! Fight! Fight!
TIME FOR BONUS CONTENT OR SOMETHING

This was written as part of 1.2, but there are many reasons why it's not there. It didn't really serve a purpose, it existed to further space out exposition that no longer exists at all, Taylor and Louise are way too couple-y.

On the other hand, it's entertaining. :V

If you want to blame someone for me posting it, probably blame @Kittius . :p

Deleted Scene: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

"So who's your boyfriend, Zero?"

Taylor ground her teeth. She saw Louise do the same.

They'd reached the first floor, where some amount of students had gathered, chattering amongst themselves. The one who'd interrupted was a brunette, dressed similarly to Louise, and with a terribly smug smirk on her face.

"I'm a girl," Taylor growled.

The bitch blinked. Then the sneer returned, as quickly as it had vanished. "Girlfriend, then."

"No, Mortemart. She's my familiar, not 'my girlfriend'," Louise spoke through clenched teeth.

'Mortemart' took a moment to look Taylor up and down, though this time her surprise was obviously either faked or greatly exaggerated. "Really? I didn't recognize her without the pile of refuse."

Taylor's eyes narrowed, and she stepped forward, only to feel a small hand close around her own. Louise, trying to hold her back. She didn't really care too much.

"Shut up. If you're so dubious, you can look at her runes."

Mortemart frowned at that. "I'd rather not. I'll take your word for it, Zero. After all…."

Taylor had only seen a look that vicious on one person, before.

"They're not mutually exclusive. In fact, I think it's the opposite! After all, who else would want to be with a flat, ugly, pathetic little-"

She slipped out of Louise's grip, leaving the girl behind her and ignoring her squeaked cry of "Taylor, wai-" as she stepped forward. Far forward. Right up to the brunette, forcing the bitch to take a step back as she leaned in, met her eye to eye. People around them, previously ignoring the scuffle, started to take notice.

"Back. Off."

Mortemart's smirk was gone, and only anger remained as she glared into Taylor's cold eyes. "Or what?"

"It's a familiar's duty to protect their master, right? And I see someone who's attacking my master," Taylor hissed, inches from the brunette's face. "So shut up, or I will make you shut up."

Behind her, Louise shook herself back to her senses. "Come on, Taylor," she called, stepping forward. "Leave her alone, she's not worth it."

Taylor closed her eyes. Opened them. Then, slowly, she stepped back, keeping her glare fixed firmly on Mortemart.

Anger faded back into smugness. "It's cute how your lover leaps to your defense, Zero." (Louise let out a strangled cry of "Shut up!", while Taylor just narrowed her eyes further.) "But such a relationship… I wonder what your precious mother would think?"

Taylor froze.

She risked a glance over her shoulder. Louise had stopped moving, too. And looked like she was shaking.

The moment Louise spoke, Taylor recognized the twitching for rage, rather than fear or sadness, and stepped out from between them, leaving a clear path for the pinkette's wrath.

"To suggest that my mother would possibly believe your ridiculous claims is an insult to her intelligence," Louise hissed, her eyes so furious that Taylor almost expected her to start burning holes into Mortemart's body. "The only reason she would be involved would be to speak with your parents regarding their daughter's insolence and lies."

The brunette paled.

Louise whirled. "Enough of this," she spat. "We're leaving, familiar."

Taylor didn't need to be told twice, shooting Mortemart one last glare before she followed Louise out the door.

She made sure to slam it shut behind her.

Louise marched down the hall, about as fast as her legs could carry her without outright running. Taylor kept pace with long, comparatively easy strides, occasionally glancing out at the grounds flanking the narrow hall, visible through archways or windows.

Then Louise stopped walking.

A moment later, Taylor stopped walking, though she didn't turn around.

Louise paused, took a deep breath. "I… appreciate you defending me, Taylor. But that was… potentially unwise."

"Excuse me?" she growled, whirling on the spot.

"Her family is allied with my own," Louise continued, holding up her hands to ward off Taylor's look of disbelief and anger. "Coming to blows would have been politically disastrous. As it stands, I don't believe she'll push this, but..."

A moment after Louise trailed off, Taylor let out a snort. "Fuck politics, then."

Louise sighed. "Unfortunately, politics are a fact of life. So…please at least try not to threaten anyone else?"

"...I'll try, but no promises."

"If you insist, then I'll accept that."

A/N: 'Mortemart' is an OC borrowed from 'smthng' on SB, with permission. His OCs are way better than mine. Check out his fic, it's really good. (And probably dead, but shhh)

Last edited:
Nope, too late Twei. It's canon. Taylor is now part of Louise's harem.

Taylor: "Wait, what do you mean Louise's harem?"
Taylor: "..." *realizes how that sounds*
Taylor: "Err..." *anime blush*

Last edited:
(Her not-fingers groped blindly in the formless void, but only felt a few thin wooden sticks. Not even real weapons. The only one in the room was somewhere on Louise's body.)

Looking at this made me wonder if she can now animate any weapon, and store ones she has previously encountered. Consider the use ramifications:
1) Shot with arrows/bullets: no effect and can later reuse the ammunition
2) Store a number of Guns/swords/cannon --low budget Miss Militia or TenTen
3) Animating the weapon lets her fight like an army of one, every disarming move adding to the number of controlled items
4) Shields can be used as weapons --anything that can be used as a weapon counts (pencils from the locker seem to be in the quote)
5) If her weight limit for the storage is high enough, she could be hiding a true cannon in there...
6) Not described but it would tickle my fancy to note that each stored weapon becomes a small rune/image part of a list going up her arm and down here back. This could lead to so many embarrassing moments ("Why are you staring at my back?" "Is _that_ a cannon?")

I don't think she's storing weapons. I think the fingers in the formless void is supposed to be how her powers feel.

This...is not quite true. The by-far most successful predatory species on the planet, with the most potent ability to establish itself in any environment, has caused its favored prey species to become far more numerous and have far greater species-level survival prospects than any other prey species out there. Man's invention of ranching and the selective breeding of our domesticated food animals has led to those food animals being some of the most prevalent on Earth.

That's not to say that being a prey species is desirable, but it is not accurate to say that cooperation doesn't occur. Nor that a cooperative pair of Entities working WITH mankind couldn't achieve more than they would with their normal cycle.

I don't think she's storing weapons. I think the fingers in the formless void is supposed to be how her powers feel.
Indeed, the way I read it is that she's "feeling" all the weapons in her range, which covers at least a fair portion of the academy.

This...is not quite true. The by-far most successful predatory species on the planet, with the most potent ability to establish itself in any environment, has caused its favored prey species to become far more numerous and have far greater species-level survival prospects than any other prey species out there. Man's invention of ranching and the selective breeding of our domesticated food animals has led to those food animals being some of the most prevalent on Earth.

That's not to say that being a prey species is desirable, but it is not accurate to say that cooperation doesn't occur. Nor that a cooperative pair of Entities working WITH mankind couldn't achieve more than they would with their normal cycle.

Indeed, the way I read it is that she's "feeling" all the weapons in her range, which covers at least a fair portion of the academy.
This is a gross misjudgment or outright purposeful misinterpretation of the stated argument. If anyone can consider raising livestock in sub-par conditions then slaughtering them for food "helping the prey" they are insane.

And that would in no way fall under what we were talking about since they don't feed off of us anyway. Beyond this, we aren't helping the food, not even a little bit - we're helping ourselves. Most of our livestock would die in the wild because they have gotten smaller as we domesticated them, and lost their defensive abilities (pigs vs boars for example). Utterly invalid.

Lastly no one said that a co-operative set of Entities would not advance or help humanity. You are blatantly ignoring the actual subject, which is the odds of already hostile Shard's becoming helpful instead of more hostile without regulators to hold them back.

Last edited:
This is a gross misjudgment or outright purposeful misinterpretation of the stated argument. If anyone can consider raising livestock in sub-par conditions then slaughtering them for food "helping the prey" they are insane.

And that would in no way fall under what we were talking about since they don't feed off of us anyway. Beyond this, we aren't helping the food, not even a little bit - we're helping ourselves. Most of our livestock would die in the wild because they have gotten smaller as we domesticated them, and lost their defensive abilities (pigs vs boars for example). Utterly invalid.

Lastly no one said that a co-operative set of Entities would not advance or help humanity. You are blatantly ignoring the actual subject, which is the odds of already hostile Shard's becoming helpful instead of more hostile without regulators to hold them back.
Please note that I said "on a species-survival level."

And yes, the analogy falls apart quickly when we examine the actual relationship of Entities to humanity, because as you said, they don't feed on humans.

In fact, the very thing they need most from us would be better served to them by cultivation of the traits in humans that humans most value as fulfilling and satisfying: creativity and productivity. The Entities are squandering resources because they fear to trust a new species after one of their early attempts led to the murder of an ancestor. They overlearn and don't learn well.

...so do you two have an opinion on the story? Or the silly deleted scene? :V

Also:
store ones she has previously encountered
Nope, though you can be forgiven for thinking that. @mdkcde is correct here.
(pencils from the locker seem to be in the quote)
Nope. I'm not sure why you thought that- it's not like Taylor doesn't know what a pencil is, and why would Louise be carrying one?
6) Not described but it would tickle my fancy to note that each stored weapon becomes a small rune/image part of a list going up her arm and down here back. This could lead to so many embarrassing moments ("Why are you staring at my back?" "Is _that_ a cannon?")
Interesting, but no. This isn't Completely Unoriginal, Taylor does not have tattoo-based powers. (Also, I think you accidentally a whole bunch of words there. Either that or assumed the heck out of things for no reason I can discern.)

Last edited:
...so do you have an opinion on the story?
Nope. I'm not sure why you thought that- it's not like Taylor doesn't know what a pencil is, and why would Louise be carrying one?

Interesting, but no. This isn't Completely Unoriginal, Taylor does not have tattoo-based powers. (Also, I think you accidentally a whole bunch of words there. Either that or assumed the heck out of things for no reason I can discern.)

Opinion: Moah Pls :)
Eh Its a new sense that reads like touch, and I assumed Taylor had gained the power Worm side and picked up stick like objects found in a school setting.

As for the Tattoo idea, I admit extrapolating from thin air, based on the Familiar/Contract rune. Reasons? Eh, don't need em. :whistle: Being unwise is sort of my thing...

Please note that I said "on a species-survival level."

And yes, the analogy falls apart quickly when we examine the actual relationship of Entities to humanity, because as you said, they don't feed on humans.

In fact, the very thing they need most from us would be better served to them by cultivation of the traits in humans that humans most value as fulfilling and satisfying: creativity and productivity. The Entities are squandering resources because they fear to trust a new species after one of their early attempts led to the murder of an ancestor. They overlearn and don't learn well.
If you're talking about a species survival level, their "need" is not from us at all. They enjoy learning, they need only energy. Once they become to populous for the planet to sustain, they leave just like they did their home world.

We are not a need. We are a luxury that they move on from to the next.

TIME FOR BONUS CONTENT OR SOMETHING

This was written as part of 1.2, but there are many reasons why it's not there. It didn't really serve a purpose, it existed to further space out exposition that no longer exists at all, Taylor and Louise are way too couple-y.
Deleted Scene: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
My only real issue here is the hyper aggressive Taylor, being rather odd compared to the Taylor of canon who did not stand up to bullies. This is not Warlord Skitter who gained confidence from her friends, but early Taylor, fresh out of the locker.

Last edited:
My only real issue here is the hyper aggressive Taylor, being rather odd compared to the Taylor if canon who did not stand up to bullies. This is not Warlord Skitter who gained confidence from her friends, but early Taylor, fresh out of the locker.
Agreed. This was my biggest concern about the timing. Locker-Taylor is even more beat down in almost all ways than Lungfight Taylor.

The only way I see this not going into months of depression and avoidance is if the prevalence of magic and the sense that the whole system is no longer even trying to pretend to fairness and justice pushes he to "go Carrie" rather than devote herself to being a hero.

My only real issue here is the hyper aggressive Taylor, being rather odd compared to the Taylor of canon who did not stand up to bullies. This is not Warlord Skitter who gained confidence from her friends, but early Taylor, fresh out of the locker.
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that in universe if the author is looking for one: the Gandalfr runes are trying to make her a compliant doll subservient to her master, the Queen Administrator shard is trying to make her a micromanaging control freak who answers to nobody and the battlefield between the two in her mind is throwing her brain chemistry relating to aggression and self importance waaaaay out of whack. Cue mood swings.

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that in universe if the author is looking for one: the Gandalfr runes are trying to make her a compliant doll subservient to her master, the Queen Administrator shard is trying to make her a micromanaging control freak who answers to nobody and the battlefield between the two in her mind is throwing her brain chemistry relating to aggression and self importance waaaaay out of whack. Cue mood swings.
Juuust so we're clear, that deleted scene ain't canon.

Sorry. :V

So the in universe explanation is fanon colliding with more fanon?o_O

Last edited:

That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Broken Glass 1.3
Thanks to @Rhydeble, @Reyemile, @Kyakan, @ensou, Golden_/Lunatic Blue, @Chartic, and @Lyova for providing beta-reading and beta-reading accessories.

(Broken Glass 1.3)

The Academy of Magic's dining hall was hard to miss, seeing as it was within the tower at the center of the academy, far eclipsing the five towers on the perimeter. Taylor couldn't make out many details on the upper levels, but she was sure they were extravagant. Really extravagant. At least as extravagant as the massive double doors that led into the hall itself.

She and Louise weren't the first students to get there, but they were far from the last. Not everyone else could casually fly around, after all.

Inside, three long tables stretched out, parallel with each other and with the walls of the room. On one side, the students were just a little shorter on average, and wore brown cloaks. On the other, a little taller, and wearing purple cloaks. Those students filtering in to the middle table, where Louise and Taylor were, wore black cloaks.

"Different classes?" she asked, gesturing to either side when Louise looked up at the question, confusion quickly giving way to understanding on the shorter girl's face.

"First years on the left, third years on the right. Second years in the middle," Louise answered.

Taylor nodded, glancing upwards towards… those were probably teachers on the level above them. And then, looking further to either side….

"And what are those?" she asked, pointing at the objects in question. Nestled into the alcoves that lined the walls were… sculptures. She couldn't make out the details from here, but they seemed… lifelike. Which was almost as unsettling as the fact that she somehow got that impression without being able to actually see that much. (Some kind of 'magical' effect?) At least they weren't life-sized, despite being in recesses that could probably fit actual humans, much less life-sized human statues.

"Alviss," Louise answered. A proper noun. Huh.

"They're creeping me out, like they're going to come to life when the sun comes down."

Louise gave her an odd look.

"...was that a lucky guess, or did someone tip you off?"

"What, they do come to life?"

"Well, yeah."

Taylor immediately drove her face into her gloved hands, and never mind how rough those gloves were. They helped muffle her wordless moan of utter despair. (And exasperation, and incredulity, but mostly despair.)

The pink-haired girl let out a sigh. "Dinner should be over before then."

Taylor nodded, even as she walked to the table and took a seat for herself.

"What are you doing?" Louise asked, sounding incredulous.

"I'm sitting." Really, what was wrong with that?

"You're sitting before I do? You haven't even pulled out my chair!"

Oh, that was what she expected? Meh. Taylor ignored her.

"Familiar!" Louise wailed, stomping up behind her. "I know you can hear me!"

"I can hear you just fine," Taylor replied without turning her head. "I just don't feel particularly obligated to follow your commands."

Taylor was… a little relieved about that, honestly. Even though it wasn't rational. 'Master', as used in the cape sense in English, was a far cry from 'Master', the word the healer used to describe Louise's relationship to Taylor in Tristanian.

"I'll… if you keep being disobedient, I won't feed you!"

"I'm... sure I could figure something out."

"I…."

People were staring. Some of them were smirking, laughing at Taylor and Louise.

No, not at both of them.

At Louise, and Louise alone.

"Familiar. ...no, Taylor," Louise hissed, voice low, so quiet it was almost a whisper. "Please."

The strained pleading reminded Taylor of nothing more than herself.

Ah, hell.

Taylor reached out with a leg and shoved the chair next to her away from the table.

Louise slid into it so hastily that Taylor thought the girl would fall off. Luckily, she didn't.

Then Taylor looked in front of her. At the actual food.

Oh. Oh.

Roasted chicken, fancy pie shaped like fish, entire baskets of fruit…

It was ridiculously elaborate, and it certainly explained the pleasant smell.

"That's a noble's meal."

Taylor blinked, turned her head towards Louise. "And?"

Louise pursed her lips. "...w-well. Since you can obviously do some kind of magic, I can treat you like a noble. So… I'll allow you to have it."

Taylor turned back to the food.

"At least wait for the prayer, though!"

...Well, she'd been meaning to find some quiet time to experiment with her powers. This was as good a chance as any. Taylor closed her eyes, and focused inwards.

Except… inwards wasn't the right word. It wasn't something inside her mind. Nor was it outwards, something outside her body. It… was her body. Even though it wasn't. Reaching out with muscles, limbs she didn't have, Taylor brushed nonexistent fingers over what she could feel with her power.

Vague blurs of - she briefly cracked an eye open, matching the location of those blurs to what she could see. Silverware. Forks and spoons.

She didn't need to look to know that the table knives were knives, at least. The grips were slippery. She heard fleeting murmurs of their names.

She could feel the little wooden sticks most of the students and teachers carried, many still filtering into their seats, but those were slippery, too. And not just because of how polished and straight they were. Not just because of a sense of vagueness, like with the knives. They didn't feel quite right.

There were a few small blades she could feel above her. Daggers, stilettos. They sung to her as her fingers ran over their cold steel edges, but… judging by how they rested, they were probably sitting in more paranoid teacher's pockets, or strapped to their bodies. She didn't want to play with them.

Some of the teachers apparently carried staves, and one had a long, thin sword with an ornate guard. A rapier, her power told her, or at least that was the best English translation. Oddly enough, her power also informed her that it was made of 'enchanted steel', whispered of the subtle powers-based reinforcement running through its length.

There was a very… interesting staff approaching--

Someone slid into the seat opposite Louise, and Taylor's eyes shot open.

"Aren't you a little late, Kirche?" Louise growled, eyes fixated on the newcomer.

"I was simply occupied with some of the finer things in life. Not that you'd know anything about that, would you, Zero?~"

Taylor immediately concluded that this girl was trouble. Judging by her tone, Louise agreed completely and then some.

Tall, by the local standards, though Taylor was probably still a little taller. Dusky skin, though Taylor couldn't say if it was naturally that shade or if 'Kirche' was just very well tanned. Flaming red hair, just as bright as Louise's own pink, but done more messily, with bangs hanging over one crimson eye. The top two buttons on the girl's blouse were undone, exposing a sizeable amount of frankly unnatural cleavage. It was almost enough to draw Taylor's eye away from the face, a smirking face radiating vague, threatening smugness.

"Shut up."

Kirche ignored Louise's complaint completely, focusing her attention instead on Taylor. "And is this your familiar? So it really is a human!"

Taylor grit her teeth.

"Yes, she is human, von Zerbst."

Kirche seemed to marvel at that simple fact, before turning her voice back towards Louise.

"You know, I wouldn't ever believe that, if it wasn't right there in front of me! It's amazing that she's a human… though, forgive me for not realizing it was a she. It was hard to tell, you know? Those clothes might be appropriate for a servant, but no self-respecting woman of status would ever dress like that."

Taylor shrank back into her seat.

Kirche continued before Louise could interject, this time. Her fiery eyes swiveled back towards Taylor, and she spoke with disturbing cheer. Vicious cheer. "So! I am Kirche Augusta Frederica von Anhalt Zerbst. Or Kirche the Ardent, if you prefer. A pleasure to meet you, and what's your name?"

Taylor stared silently. She… wasn't sure where this was going. Maybe if she just-

"Well?" Kirche pressed.

Nevermind that, then. Taylor had no choice but to speak.

"...Taylor," she mumbled.

"Taylor," Kirche echoed, still smiling. "It's an interesting name. Just Taylor?"

She glanced aside. Thought about saying nothing. Kirche continued to stare expectantly.

Taylor took a breath. Put in more confidence than she really felt. "...Hebert. Taylor Hebert."

"Well then! As I said, it's a pleasure to meet you, Taylor Hebert," the redhead purred, leaning forward as she spoke. "And what brings you to our fine establishment of arcane learning, hmmm?"

Taylor found herself leaning away from Kirche's intent gaze. Her lips suddenly didn't seem to work. She wasn't sure if she wanted them to.

Something must have betrayed her answer, because Kirche continued a moment later. "Ah, I understand. I'm truly sorry," she didn't sound sorry, or at least not that sorry, "for the inconvenience our dear Louise has caused you with her latest misfire."

Taylor wasn't sure if she ought to breathe out a sigh of relief. She knew a scathing remark when she heard one, even if it wasn't directed at her. Maybe… maybe Kirche would focus on the other girl and leave her alone?

Louise, for her part, shot up out of her seat in the time it took Taylor to think about that. "'Misfire'?!" she growled, face red with anger. "I'll have you know, the professors agree that the spell was completely successful, so you can-"

"Shhh. Prayer."

A new voice cut Louise off, calmly and quietly. It belonged to… Taylor raised an eyebrow. A blue-haired, glasses-wearing girl (at least this world had glasses), who slipped into the seat next to Kirche even as she spoke. (Would she be a … bluenette? Ugh, no.)

She also had a staff. A very interesting staff.

A staff that Taylor could wait a moment to examine, as a hush fell over the room.

As one, the students closed their eyes, tilted their heads down, and chanted, the harmonious sound of a prayer echoing through the hall. Louise even recovered quickly enough to join them, sheepishly sinking back into her seat.

"Oh, Great Founder Brimir, and our lady, the Queen, we thank you for this humble meal that you have graciously provided us this evening."

...there was nothing humble about this meal, but Taylor supposed that it wasn't the prayer's fault. Probably.

After a moment of silence, the students opened their eyes and dug in to their meals.

Taylor was among them, tearing off a piece of chicken and biting into - mmm. When was the last time she'd had meat this good? Years ago, probably, if ever. It was certainly far better than anything her dad knew how to make. If this was what nobles regularly ate, she could definitely get used to it.

Taylor devoured her food with relish.

So much relish, apparently, that it got someone's attention.

"Hey, who let a servant eat at a nobles' table?" someone commented. A student, a few seats over. Taylor squinted, got a better look at him.

"She's my familiar, not a servant," Louise declared. She spoke imperiously, but her impotent anger showed through in her voice.

"Really? I find that hard to believe, Zero!" the somewhat chubby boy insisted.

"Seriously, Malicorne?! You were there!"

"So?! It's not like anyone could recognize anything under all that filth!"

"Fine then, Common Cold! Here's another question: How many servants can afford glasses?!"

"I didn't see any glasses and I don't see any now- wait, C-common Cold?!" Malicorne sputtered as what Louise had said caught up to him.

"Had glasses," the blue-haired girl cut in, louder than before but still calm and collected. "Broken."

The boy blinked. Then shook his head. "Glasses or no glasses, I still don't buy it. It's not like the Zero doesn't have funds to purchase a prop if she needs one, right?"

"There's an easy way to be sure," Kirche cut in, a twinkle in her eyes. "You could just look at her familiar runes."

Taylor blinked. Louise's eyes widened.

"I really don't think that's a good idea," Louise said.

"Of course she'd object," Malicorne said. He was acting serious, but Taylor heard the smile in his voice. "Flashing those fake runes might have tricked the crowd, but the Zero's parlor tricks won't withstand close scrutiny from a real mage. Why, Kirche, I think that's a wonderful idea."

Kirche's smile widened.

Taylor looked towards Louise… who had completely flipped her expression, any hesitation vanishing beneath a sea of indignation. "Fine, then. Familiar. Do it."

Taylor hesitated.

This was blatantly a trap. But she couldn't see a way out of it.

Slowly, she lifted her trembling left hand, turned it so the back faced Malicorne, and pulled her glove off.

All but one person in that direction looked away almost instantly.

"What in Brimir's name even is that?!" someone yelped.

"A parlor trick, apparently?" Taylor said, managing to keep her voice mostly dry as she looked towards Malicorne. Or at least in his general direction. He was the only one looking back, after all, his eyes wide and fixated on her hand.

His eyelid twitched.

Then he covered his eyes, letting out pitiful little moans.

"Oh jeez- Founder what the hell was that - how does that even - I think I'm going to be sick-"

Taylor averted her eyes, focusing on her palm as she hastily pushed the glove back on.

She heard someone protest from Malicorne's general direction, to which Kirche of all people cheerfully responded with, "He did ask for it! Whose fault is it that he couldn't handle it, mm?"

Wait, what?

"Y-you traitorous- oh God I need to go!"

The boy leaped out of his seat and darted off at startling speed, rushing straight past bewildered students and out of the hall. Taylor thought she heard distant retching shortly thereafter.

Their portion of the table was silent, for a moment. Then Kirche giggled.

"Well, I'd say that ended well, wouldn't you agree?" she quipped, smiling.

Something finally clicked in Taylor's head. This had been a trap alright, just… not for her. Kirche had used her to hurt someone.

It was a strange thought. It certainly wasn't a happy one.

Next to Taylor, Louise cradled her head in her hands.

"Kirche, could you not use my familiar to make people sick?"

"It's not my fault he walked right into it, Louise," the redhead said with what might have been all the smugness in the entire world.

"...even so. Obviously it's rude, but more than that, it's undignified, even by your standards," Louise groaned.

Kirche laughed, shorter and sharper this time. "But it's fitting, isn't it, Zero? You summoned your familiar out of trash, and she made Malicorne throw up," the redhead taunted. "Maybe you've discovered the element of vomit! Have you ever tried casting a queasiness spell?"

Louise grit her teeth, ground her foot against the floor, while Taylor stared blankly towards Kirche. She'd been reminded of… that more than enough already, but at this point, there wasn't much Kirche could say to make it worse.

"Like I said, perfectly fitting. The zero-class mage gets a zero-class famili--"

And then, suddenly, the blue-haired girl interrupted. Quietly, maybe even more quietly than before, but firmly.

"Dangerous."

Taylor blinked, turned to look at her. Louise and Kirche did much the same, as did another few students who must have overheard.

"Tabitha?" Kirche asked. (Ah, so that was her name.)

Tabitha nodded. "Dangerous," she repeated. "Disarmed entire courtyard, while in shock and likely using magic for first time, possibly unconsciously."

Taylor's eyes widened.

"No wands, no spells. No spells, instant defeat."

The blue-haired girl nodded again, returning to her food.

Things got pretty quiet after that. Louise's eyes were wide, though Taylor couldn't tell what that meant. Kirche looked… thoughtful, almost? The other students flanking them seemed split between watching her with wary gazes and pretending she didn't exist.

Dangerous, Tabitha had said, and no one had disagreed. Taylor… Taylor wasn't sure how to feel about that. She wasn't even sure how she was supposed to feel about that.

Knowing that these people needed implements to use their powers was… helpful. Something to keep in mind, at least.

Since no one was talking, Taylor got back to her meal, moving on to the fruit. As did most of the students, sooner or later. Louise eventually joined in as well, but it was a good long while before she finally picked up her silverware.

With no conversation to listen to, Taylor turned the rest of her attention to Tabitha. Not to Tabitha herself, exactly—though she could swear the blue-haired girl was staring at her from time to time—but to Tabitha's staff.

Interesting seemed to be something of an understatement.

Hundreds of years old, her power whispered as her not-fingers ran over the ancient, crooked wood. Harvested from the core of an enchanted tree, then layered with further enchantments and reinforcements. Oversized for current user; length suggests it was made to the specifications of someone between six to twelve inches taller than Tabitha. Overall durability comparable to forged steel, sufficient for blocking or deflecting sword strikes.

That was… certainly something.

That wasn't normal, was it? No, it wasn't. As far as Taylor could tell, none of the other weapons were like this.

Who was this girl?

Taylor probably wouldn't bring it up in a place like this, anyways. She didn't really get a chance, as someone finally broke the silence.

'Someone' was Kirche, because apparently the universe wasn't done tormenting Taylor.

"So, Taylor. I have to ask: why are you sticking with the Zero? A being of your power could do so much better. I mean, I wouldn't ask a normal familiar that question, since the ritual binds familiar to Master. But in Louise's case, the ritual seems to have granted her zero control."

The redhead looked just as smug as she had before. Louise was fuming, answering before Taylor could decide on what, if anything, she wanted to say.

"You talk about control, but where's your self-control? Is there any male in the Academy you haven't slept with yet, you Germanian whore?"

Kirche laughed a haughty, smirking laugh. "If you want to talk about that, then by all means, feel free. But we both know they come to me, not the other way around. Regardless of my exploits or your lack thereof, though, I asked your familiar a question, and I want her to answer it. Or are you afraid of hearing what she has to say?" she taunted.

Louise started to say something, cut herself off, sputtered. Kirche ignored her, turning her eyes straight to Taylor.

Taylor stared back. Her fingers twitched gently.

"Don't be shy," the redhead cooed, as if encouraging her to introduce herself to the class.

This was familiar. A redhead sounding almost genuine.

Taylor glanced away. Looked down.

There was still some food on her plate. Might as well have some. Give herself an excuse to think.

She took a bite, had some water to wash it down.

When Taylor looked up from the food, Kirche was still watching her. Louise, too.

Luckily, Taylor had an answer. She spoke slowly, carefully.

"Louise brought me here. Would someone else have a better shot at sending me back?"

Louise blinked. Kirche raised an eyebrow.

"Would sending you home be a suitable price to buy your services, then? If not as a familiar, perhaps something more like a mercenary," the redhead suggested, leaning forward over the table.

Taylor hadn't thought about it like that. But….

...after a moment of hesitation, she agreed. "Yeah, I guess so."

She certainly wouldn't work for someone like Kirche for anything less.

The redhead closed her eyes, hummed in thought.

Eventually, Louise spoke, her voice shaky. Taylor couldn't fathom what emotions were running through the pink-haired girl's mind.

"...that's an impossible price."

Kirche opened her eyes, focused back on Taylor. "Oh? I suppose that means your home isn't within walking distance."

A pregnant pause fell over them.

Taylor didn't answer. At least, not at first. But even she couldn't bear the weight of their expectant gazes forever.

"...another world," she murmured, so quiet they could barely hear.

Hear, however, they did. Kirche let out a low whistle, and even Tabitha looked up from her food.

"Hmm." Kirche smiled. "You've certainly summoned an interesting familiar, Zero."

A/N: This one was a bit later than I would have liked, mostly due to repeated edits to pin down characterizations. Kirche is not Ambiguously Dark-Skinned Emma, and Locker Taylor is not Warlord Taylor or even Start of Canon Taylor. Nonetheless, I'm happy enough with the final result, but feel free to point out any typos or the like.

Last edited:
Back