To Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old: The One Ring RPG play-by-post OOC

Artificial Girl

Kobold Librarian
Pronouns
She/Her
Cunning were the works of Dwarves in the ancient days. Made in stone, in steel, gold, silver and mithril they crafted such works that were the envy of other peoples. Deep they delved, their picks rang against stone and their hammers worked white-hot metals in their great forges.

Alas, that such works are seen no longer in Middle Earth and many of the secrets of those great crafts are now lost with the ancient cities of Nogrod and Belegost, overthrown and ruined in the War of Wrath , or in the halls of Khazad-dûm, the doom of which was sealed with Durin's Bane. Now it truly earns the name given it by the elves. Moria, or the Black Pit. Many treasures were consumed by dragon's fire or lost to memory in the wars against the orcs.

It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years past, an alliance of Elves, Men and Dwarves defeated an army Orcs and Wild Wolves at the foot of the Lonely Mountain and ushered in a new era of peace and prosperity. It has been a long time for peace to last, and in the dark corners of the world, the shadows lengthen.

Still, the folk of Durin endure and there are those who would seek out their lost treasures and forgotten lore, in the hopes of regaining some of that lost glory of elder days. Even if these are grim times in Middle Earth, and the Shadow looms in the east there is yet hope that prosperity and skill that echoes that of old could be recovered, especially with the successful reclamation of Erebor, the Kingdom Under the Mountain.

Whispers and mutterings spread. What treasures could be reclaimed? What knowledge that was lost could be found? What places siezed by the enemies of the Dwarves might yet be retaken?

To Dungeons Deep and Caverns Old is a The One Ring RPG 2e game that will focus especially on the Dwarves and their plights.

You're encouraged to play a dwarf, but all backgrounds will be accepted. Elves of any kind will likely have a more difficult time earning the trust of some NPCs, but are not excluded from play. Men and Hobbits are like to welcomed, especially if they come from a background that has a reputation as being Dwarf-friends (Bardings or Lake-Men). The game will begin centered in western Eriador, near the Blue Mountains and proceed from there.

I'm looking for 4 to 6 players total. The pace will likely not be terribly harsh, though I hope to have people do a post-ish a day when we're really active. Sheets and rolls will be stored on Discord, so you will need to be available there, but otherwise I hope to do most of the actual game on Sufficient Velocity.

Currently I have one player already lined up, but will be taking applicants for the other slots. Depending on the number of responses I get, I may have to turn some people down and if that's the case i hope there will be no hard feelings.

There's no set timeline on this game, but I hope to have a few adventures for your characters! You can register your interest by posting in the thread and filling out a little survey, available here.

Players:
1. @Rat King
2. @Aura
3. @mcclay
4. @FantasticMsFox
5. @Arachna
6. @open_sketch

Last edited:
I'd be willing to play, perhaps as a firebeard or broadbeam of the Blue Mountains interested in Nogrod and Belegost Broken, or perhaps an elf of Lindon.

Absolutely interested, I have not seriously played a dwarf in any TTRPG or other game and I want to take the opportunity.

I don't know much about the Lord Of The Rings world, but this sounds like it could be fun to learn about, if I do get in.

For some reason I was thinking I'd get more people jumping in all at once, but considering the responses and that we've now reached six players, I think I'll call it good and take all of y'all.

@open_sketch
@Arachna
@FantasticMsFox
@Aura
@mcclay

I'll be pming you a discord link and we can either talk character ideas in the thread or on Discord, whichever people find most comfy.

Others who are interested are welcome to drop their contact info, in the case that we have people who drop out or I end up feeling like I can handle more players.

Back