Jemnite

CVN-69 Fella
>//. THEY HIRED YOU
Nothing more than a simply recovery op. Tag and bag. A capsule to be poached from another corp. Heavy security- but you're the best, are you not? That's why they pay you the big bucks. Prove your rep ain't hot air.
>//. YOU FUCKED UP
Capsule was breached on extraction. You had all wondered what's inside. Precious data? Martial arts artifacts? But none of you expected the truth. The truth of the matter was stranger than you'd all expected.
>//. SAW SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE
Girl. Small. Short. Sunken cheeks. Malnourished bones. Pale complexion. Nearly dead. Miracle she was still alive. Who was she? Why was she in the box?
>//. THEY TRIED TO KILL YOU
Didn't expect anything at first. Suit greeted you. Sent you to a waiting room. Smelled weird. Smelled wrong. Then the security busted in. Guns blazing. Gas pouring through the vents, 'borgs pouring through the doors. Overwhelmed. Soon to be dead.
>//. BUT SOMETHING HAPPENED
Girl screamed. Loud and strong. And then she killed. Pulled supermoves out of her ass, like the masters on the old mountains. Every step a dead body. Said something to you. Couldn't hear it. Drowned in the sound of her coughing up her own blood.
>//. AND YOU SURVIVED
Ran for it then. Hauled ass. Out the door, past the defenses. Ran like the hounds of hell were after you. Corporate hell. But you made it to a not-safe-house. Good enough for a few days.
>//. SO NOW YOU STILL LIVE
Few days was all you would have. Your face plastered on every screen. Every mail. Bounty on your heads. Twelve different corps gunning for you. Dead men walking. Only one resource available to you now.
>//. MAKE SURE IT STICKS
One chance. One hope. One answer.

The sky wept for the city. Its morose tears came down in thick, heavy sheets full of hot dripping acidic feelings. But the city simply closes its windows and locks its doors. It empties its streets except for the homeless of the riffraff, of which there is no shortage. Dulled by the thick blanket of raindrops upon concrete, the city grows quiescent. And it waits. For even the liveliest city cannot ignore the world's whims.

Nowhere is that more apparent than Pudong District, which sat by the Huangpu River as it opened up to the East China Sea. Once it had been the shining jewel of Shanghai, where the whole world poured its wealth in through its harbors. Corporations built their grand castles within its Finance and Trade Zone and where they set their beating hearts down, money flowed forth. But the rising sea and the growing poor led the rich to flee Pudong for the new mega-arcology upon Hengshua. All they left behind where the poor, the unfortunate, and the violent.

Like a band of Jiexia squatting in a warehouse near the former shipping center of China.

The warehouse is poorly furnished. It would hard believe so given the veritable armory of ammunition and weapons and armor, all packed into large steel crates littering the floor, but luxury-wise there is nothing. There are the bare necessities of food, almost inedible, cots, moth-worn and thread-bare, as well as a small supply of water-purifying tablets and other assorted survival gear of that nature. The only form of entertainment comes in the form of a beat up looking television, so old it has a plasma screen display. For the past three days, the news game has been focused entirely on the largest bounty in history.

The faces on the screen match the jiexia inhabiting the warehouse. It's their bounty. It's your bounty.

All 13 of the major corps in Shanghai have put their own individual bounties on your head. Though Disney-Comcast's is the largest, it is not by much. Amazon's own bounty is only half a billion RMB less and comes with offers of a lifetime subscription to AWS. Sixteen of the largest Jiexia Sects have declared their intent to pursue. There's even rumors that VW-Ford are importing foreign mercenaries to join in the chase, an essentially unheard of thing since the Pudong Excession.

Everyone worth anything in the world wants you captured or dead. You managed to escape your initial doom through basically a miracle. Now you have to stake escaping this new doom on that very same miracle.

Your mystery girl just woke up.

Your mystery girl just woke up.
In such circumstances, a man might have been desperate, or panicked. But Muji Ren seems to have taken the news of his impending death with impressive grace, his normal remarks merely becoming a little forced. He gripes about the aftertaste of regret in the food, the cots harder than concrete, and the quality of the weapons lying on the floor like dead snakes in a pit. It is his way of coping. When the girl wakes, Muji moves to the counter being used as a makeshift kitchen, preparing a small bowl of bland, chalk-white porridge. He brings the bowl over crates and cots and supplies, its passage like a bird of prey through the dreary city skies. It comes to a stop next to the girl, on a small, emptied crate, used as a makeshift table.

"Here," he says, "after the insanity you pulled you get us out of there you'll probably need something to fill your stomach, as poor as this is."

He sits down behind the table, with an expression like storms on the horizon of a port.

"I'm happy to talk about... everything that just happened after you finish it. Not like we're on the clock here, we're probably dead either way anyway."

Ouyang Meng was the second to realize that. It was the change in breathing, which creaked the cot the mystery girl was placed. She walked over to the side of that girl, and with gentle, experienced motions, took the girl's hands in her's and began measuring both her pulse and the flow of qi. Suspended animation couldn't do anything good for the proper flow. It wasn't that she knew about that, but it was natural conjecture. "Ignore that punk," she said with imperious tones, sniffing at Muji Ren. "How're you feeling? How many fingers am I holding up?" She held up three.

The girl's pale and albino complexion, as Ouyang discovers, is pretty much reflective of her general heatlh. It's absolutely horrible. It's a wonder she hasn't died yet- but at the same time everything is working as well it should be. Better than it should be infact. Her gallbladder leaks deadly toxins into her disgestive ract but her livers purges it away as like it's a normal every day activity. Her heart pulses in strange off beat patterns like a drummer with no rhythm, yet her blood pressure is perfectly healthy.

She is on the brink of death yet she does not seem like she will die for several more decades.

Her qi is even more baffling. The legacies of what looks like to be hundreds, perhaps even more than a thousand schools race through her system. The golden meridians of the Shaolin Golden warrior style, the immortal fire essence of the Phoenix Transcends Mortality School, even roaring dragon essence from who knows where raced and clash about through her system, destroying her body and dantien, yet repairing it even as they destroy it. Her meridians are invincibly strong, yet indubitably cracked.

At this point the fact that she has some sort of lingering congenital disease seems like an afterthought because it's so heavily suppressed by the martial arts legacies running rampant through her body that it might even not exist.

"Three," the girl who should not be alive or even exist says and then pokes at the porridge. "What's in this? And who are you?"

At this point the fact that she has some sort of lingering congenital disease seems like an afterthought because it's so heavily suppressed by the martial arts legacies running rampant through her body that it might even not exist.

"Three," the girl who should not be alive or even exist says and then pokes at the porridge. "What's in this? And who are you?"
Muji Ren gestures dismissively.

"Rice. Chemicals. More Chemicals. MSG. Some more preservatives, for good measure."

He points to himself with a thumb, a wry grin on his face.

"My name is Muji Ren. Our medic, the one treating you, that's Ouyang Meng. The one with all the flowers over there is Zhi Luoyan, our muscle over there is Jia Sugaru, and the only other dude in our little motley crew is Hong Tu. We're the ones who pulled you outta that capsule. Now," Muji gestures to the TV, blaring portents of doom, "we're all absolutely fucked for it. The hell's so special about you that most of Earth's after us for it? What, are you some weird-ass Genetic Experiment that will Usher in a New Era of Corporate Buzzwords?"

Last edited:
Ouyang raises an eyebrow in complete surprise. The girl's condition reminded her nothing less than a spinning top- perfectly stable, as long as it was moving. Perfectly stable, if nothing touched it. But when it slowed, when it tipped, it would fall apart. How could she have missed this complete anomaly? She had finished her apprenticeship with her master- at this thought, she bit the inside of her lips, it still hurt to think about what she did- she travelled throughout China, how did she not hear about this girl?

"I wouldn't recommend that you eat it," Ouyang said, settling down on a chair. "Though I'm sure you know the risks if you choose so. Probably more than me."

"My name's Xiao Chu. Xiao as in big and small and Chu as in clear. I was being moved to a new hospital after my uncle's money ran out." The girl pokes at the porridge still trying to decide whether or not to eat it. "What's a MSG?"

"My name's Xiao Chu. Xiao as in big and small and Chu as in clear. I was being moved to a new hospital after my uncle's money ran out." The girl pokes at the porridge still trying to decide whether or not to eat it. "What's a MSG?"
"... Mono-Sodium Glutamate. You know the taste of meat, that savory taste? That's what it replicates."

He gives Ouyang Meng a look, clearly asking what the fuck is with this girl.

"And uh, those moves... all that Old Master in the Mountains type bullshit you pulled out in that fight, what was that, exactly?"

"Some people don't eat processed crap, you know?"

Sugaru opined, ducking her head under one of the internal doors, dusting off her hands after moving the steel boxes to form some cover should anyone enter through the doors.

"Please to meet you, Xiao Chu, I'm Jia Sugaru. You're an utter slip of a thing, aren't you?"

The one with all the flowers over there is Zhi Luoyan, "

Luolan's voice barely rose above a finely modulated whisper. "The name is Luolan, like these," she said, raising a small bunch of violet blossoms.

She turned her gaze to Xiao Chu, mentally triggering the zoom function and shifting to ultraviolet. The girl's skin glowed an eerie blue in her false-colour vision, with streams of ghastly green pulsing through her veins. It would have been shocking to a less heterodox xiake, but Luolan herself practiced a martial art that was known to have killed more of its own practitioners than their enemies. She recognised the signs of reversed qi flows when she saw them - but Xiao Chu's condition was far more radical than her own. Qiankun Da Nuoyi was dangerous enough; whatever this was, the slightest disturbance in the flows of Xiao Chi's qi could plunge her into a torment worse than the 18 hells.

She walked up to Ouyang Meng and placed a hand on her shoulder. It looked like a friendly, comradely gesture, but the tiny trickle of heterodox qi that flowed from her fingers was a message: Beware. If anyone is to tend to her qi flows, it should be me. @Laplace

"And you're huge," Xiao Chu says to the quite large Sugaru before turning to Ren. "And I'm not sure what you mean about Old Master in the Mountain, those were a handful of martial arts legacies that I'm safeguarding for their successors."

She looks him up and down. "You have good yang qi. Do you practice?" While she's speaking she finally spoons up a spoonful of the porridge and then tries eating it. Emphasis on tries. She coughs once and most of it dribbles back out her mouth.

She gives it a wary look and carefully sets the bowl back down.

"And you're huge," Xiao Chu says to the quite large Sugaru before turning to Ren. "And I'm not sure what you mean about Old Master in the Mountain, those were a handful of martial arts legacies that I'm safeguarding for their successors."

She looks him up and down. "You have good yang qi. Do you practice?" While she's speaking she finally spoons up a spoonful of the porridge and then tries eating it. Emphasis on tries. She coughs once and most of it dribbles back out her mouth.
".... Generally speaking people don't pull out those kinda moves unless they're a few hundred years old and have been mountain-top squatting. Like, you were pulling off legendary stuff there."

He scratches his head a bit.

"And I... never did use or practice in yang qi. My education was entirely in Yin-based martial arts. Was never any good at it."

She gives it a wary look and carefully sets the bowl back down.
"Yep, that was about my reaction when I first tried this kinda schlop."

She walked up to Ouyang Meng and placed a hand on her shoulder. It looked like a friendly, comradely gesture, but the tiny trickle of heterodox qi that flowed from her fingers was a message: Beware. If anyone is to tend to her qi flows, it should be me. @Laplace
Ouyang stared at Luolan. She snorted. Okay, sure, I'm just the only person here with medical experience. It's not like my school makes a point of studying acupuncture, huh? she thought to herself. Her meridians washed away that sliver of Luolan's qi. "I'll go and start activating the booby traps. Let's be prepared when they come, yeah?" She stood up and ceded her seat to Luolan.

It feels like when Hong met his master.

The entire world pissed off, the biggest gangs in the only blocks of slum he knew how to navigate after his head. Hiding down a hole, knowing that it wasn't deep enough. Knowing he was going to die, and praying for a miracle.

A miracle he got.

Except that was a long time ago, and his world was infinitely smaller then.

Long enough ago that the memory doesn't make the gut wrenching fear any less intense.

Which is why he's burning it off by standing watch over the warehouse. 'Standing' is a misnomer, given how he's moving, switching from watchpost to watchpost, but the sentiment is accurate.

He uses his jailbroken milspec laptop to keep an eye on the camera feeds. He knows he could pipe everything through his cyber-eye, but there's a comfort to the physicality of the keyboard.

Internal cameras show the nuclear woman has woken up, and the rest are talking to her. Hong draws his thumb across his clean-shaven chin, and decides to give it some time before he goes in. Somebody needs to stand watch, to ensure that if the conversation is interrupted, it's interrupted by a warning of an incoming raid instead of the raid itself.

And somebody needs to wait for a reply to the pigeon Hong caught and tied a slip of paper to the leg of.

".... Generally speaking people don't pull out those kinda moves unless they're a few hundred years old and have been mountain-top squatting. Like, you were pulling off legendary stuff there."

He scratches his head a bit.

"And I... never did use or practice in yang qi. My education was entirely in Yin-based martial arts. Was never any good at it."
"I haven't been squatting on any mountains or anything," Xiao Chu responded. "I've never left the hospital."

"Also, you should really consider learning something you're more suited for." She waved a hand at Sugaru. "Like her."

"I haven't been squatting on any mountains or anything," Xiao Chu responded. "I've never left the hospital."

"Also, you should really consider learning something you're more suited for." She waved a hand at Sugaru. "Like her."
Sugaru reached a hand up to brush her fringe out of her eyes - she really needed to look at getting it cut soon.

"I just do what come naturally, honestly. It's worked better than anything someone else has tried to show me."

Squatting on a nearby crate - not willing to test the old bedframes that much - Sugaru bent over to look at Chu.

"Having carried you since you fell unconscious, I'd like to ask if you're alright. It's been a while since I've carried a ten? year old, but even then I know most weigh a tad more than you do."

"Having carried you since you fell unconscious, I'd like to ask if you're alright. It's been a while since I've carried a ten? year old, but even then I know most weigh a tad more than you do."
Xiao Chu smiled at Sugaru. She looked touched? at the concern. "I'm fine. Not any worse than I normally am at the very least. I've never weighed very much and while I can't say I'm healthy, I'm not any less healthy than I have been for most of my life."

He thought for a moment.

"Well, it's not like I have any teachers available right now, what with being hunted and all.

Unless one of the styles you've apparently just... picked up at a hospital fits me."

Ouyang stared at Luolan. She snorted. Okay, sure, I'm just the only person here with medical experience. It's not like my school makes a point of studying acupuncture, huh? she thought to herself. Her meridians washed away that sliver of Luolan's qi. "I'll go and start activating the booby traps. Let's be prepared when they come, yeah?" She stood up and ceded her seat to Luolan.

Luolan responded to Ouyang's snort with a smile, then turned to Sugaru and Xiao Chu.

"Xiao Chu, we'll try to get you something nicer to eat soon, but for now it would be good if you took something," she said, laying a gentle hand on the girl's wrist. "You said that you're safeguarding legacies for successors. I'm doing the same, but with a sword instead. I dare say it's a bit easier on me than it must be for you, but it seems we have much in common - including some unusual ways of practicing."

She tentatively took Xiao Chu's pulse, feeling for her qi flows and how they would interact with her own.

Ouyang Meng walked to where Hong was standing, coughing lightly to alert him. "How's it going?" she asked him. "Anyone you think's gonna jump us?"
Hong notices Ouyang's approach, because he would be a truly atrocious watchman if he did not notice the approach of one putting no effort into concealing themselves from him. He gives a light wave over his shoulder, relaxed and easy, even as he continues staring off.

He breathes a sigh out through his nose. "Some, but they haven't. Yet." He turns his dented combat helmet around in his hands. It and his ballistic mask but lightly obstruct his senses to wear, but no gain in physical protection is worth that loss at the moment. "And I'd be more worried if there were no risks, if there were no possible concerns. Everything sterile in how unthreatening it was."

Hong shifts, his head turning a fraction as if he's glancing sidelong to Ouyang, but his eyes still resolutely scan the surroundings. "When that happens, then a raid is imminent. If it doesn't happen before I swap guard shifts to you, then that is what you must watch for."

"But that's not what I most fear." Hong frowns, brows furrowing. "What I most fear is an enemy of such obscene power and inhuman callousness, that should they lock onto us, they shall make no effort to prepare the terrain before they attack. That strategy would eliminate all warning at great cost to everyone in this part of the city, and there is no defense against it besides a strong core of martial strength."

Last edited:
"But that's not what I most fear." Hong frowns, brows furrowing. "What I most fear is an enemy of such obscene power and inhuman callousness, that should they lock onto us, they shall make no effort to prepare the terrain before they attack. That strategy would eliminate all warning at great cost to everyone in this part of the city, and there is no defense against it besides a strong core of martial strength."
Ouyang nods. "I figure we should leave soon. And by soon I mean as fast as I can rig up a bomb. Blow up all the ammo, and any computers we have here. I'd also want to booby trap the windows and doors, but ha, who uses them nowadays? Could you help me?"

@Kensai @THatWhichWillBe @Estro

Xiao Chu nodded to Luolan's mothering and picked up the bowl and began to scoop from it once more. Meanwhile as Luolan pressed her qi to the small child's she felt the magnitude of the damage that had been wrought.

It was... more resilient than it had first appeared. On sight it had seemed like the whole thing would collapse like a spinning top, held in a delicate equilibrium. The whole situation seemed stable- extremely so. Possessed of a huge amount of momentum it seemed like it would take a huge, drastic change or make it worse... or better. A change, halfhearted, would immediately bounce back to this odd crippled yet alive state very quickly.

Practically, it seemed that her body would at least hold for now at least. Perhaps even for a few beats of combat- though it was clear enough that if Xiao Chu was forced to engage in another stint of extended combat like the ones which had tore a trail of one of the most defensible corp headquarters in Shanghai that there's be a repeat of the coma which had forced the gang to hide out in the safehouse.

@dash931 @Laplace

Outside, under the eeves of the roof, deep in conversation Ouyang and Hongtu saw the rain slacken from a smothering downpour to sharp biting pricks at the earth. Give it another few hours and it would reduce itself even further to a mere drizzle. But for now it was enough to start letting the noise and people of the city come alive once more.

Sugaru grabbed another grenade from the crate she'd opened while Chu ate, and started up the juggling again.

throw and catch and throw and catch and throw and catch and throw and catch and catch and throw and throw and catach and shit

Failing to make the switch between two handed and one handed juggling, she dumped the two handfuls of grenades haphazardly on the side and stretched. If they didn't move out soon, it might be time to consider people starting to sleep in shifts.

"Hey, kid, how old are you?"

@Estro

Xiao Chu swallowed a mouthful and started counting to herself. After a moment she quietly put down the spoon and then continued counting on her hands, fingers flickering by like the passing wind.

"Thirty four eights and a six years old?" She questioningly said in a not-quite-sure tone of voice.

Back