THAT'S NOT MUSIC! (Worm CYOA V3)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

I awoke slowly, awareness returning in fits and starts. Suddenly I snapped to full focus as I...
Prologue

We Just Write

Blatantly Plural
Pronouns
Plural
Difficulty: Standard (+5 points)

Powers
-Wildcard*3
--Conceptual Music (Rating 9)
--Soul Reading (Rating 5)
--Enhanced Athleticism (Rating 7)
-Twins (Leet)(Jailbreak to remove problems with re-making old inventions)

Advantages
-Man of mystery

Disadvantages (must pay 2 points worth of suffering)
-Geas (Can not reveal origins)
-Without a map +1 (Hello Detroit)
I awoke slowly, awareness returning in fits and starts. Suddenly I snapped to full focus as I felt someone rifling through my coat pockets. I briefly looked up into the face of a freckled blonde lady, before I rolled out of the way and sprang to my feet. She looked shocked, and as I looked more closely at her I realized she had a slight glowing aura around her. Eventually she broke eye contact with me, and I walked away from the alleyway into the throngs of people on the sidewalk.

As I walked, I realized that it was't just her who had one of those auras, the same applied to everyone I looked at, but they were all different. I also was coming to the realization that I really wasn't anywhere near home any more. Alright, priorities. The person who just tried to rob me quickly dropped to the bottom of the list, compared to some other parts of my predicament she just wasn't relevant.

First priority is to figure out where I am, thankfully it's still somewhere that English is the dominant language, but aside from that all I've really got is that it's some kind of city. Second priority is to make contact with home if at all possible, and see if I can arrange some form of transportation.

Idly, I started whistling as I walked in a direction I hoped would lead me to a mass transportation stop of some variety. I most definitely was not expecting for my next step to suddenly send me flailing into the air. I frantically screamed out "NO! GET ME DOWN!" in a strangely rythmic tone as I was launched into the sky at immense speeds. My wish was granted as my momentum was suddenly reversed, sending me screaming back down towards the ground. As I rapidly approached my doom, I felt it appropriate to recite a line from a specific song, namely "I'm coming in hot, you heard me."

I certainly did 'come in hot' as I suddenly manifested a fiery aura. Just before impact, I saw people frantically dodging out of the way. I hit the ground a lot more gently than I'd feared, but still hard enough to black out.

When I awoke once more, I was chained to a hospital bed. I groaned as I felt the pain streak throughout my body, the whole of my physical existence screaming at me that I should never do that again. Given how many bones I'd probably broken, I was inclined to agree. I laid there moaning for around 6 minutes before eventually a group of 3 people came in. The one at the fore was obviously some variety of medical practitioner, and behind her was a man in a business suit, and some guy in tights. The auras on the first two were fairly normal, but the third... He was just... damaged somehow, and there were strange eddies in him that simply couldn't be natural.

Eventually the man in the suit spoke up with "Unidentified Parahuman, you recently and recklessly used multiple highly hazardous abilities in a public space. We'll need to be asking you some questions, however, given the condition you were found in, it was elected to do it here rather than back at PRT HQ. First, what is your name?"

I compliantly answered, before immediately asking "Could you please tell me where I am?" Suddenly something jogged in my brain about where I was. He'd called me a Parahuman. That terminology was only used in Worm to my knowledge, meaning that I was likely in the semi-civilized death world that called itself Earth Bet. Crap.

The man in the suit continued with his barrage of questions, refusing to dignify me with so much as a single acknowledgement that I was repeatedly asking where I was. The fact that I couldn't tell him my place of birth, or past (much to my consternation), only made him even more suspicious of me. Eventually, I couldn't take it any more, and just sort of... shut down. I just didn't care enough about this asshole to bother responding to him, nothing else was providing me with any stimulus, and I wasn't in any condition to leave what with most of the bones in my body being broken and being chained to the bed.

I eventually started paying attention when the man in the suit relented and the guy in tights spoke up with "I apologize for my associate's behavior. For your information, you are currently in Detroit."

I nodded as best I could, and it occurred to me to ask "How long was I out anyway?"

He answered "You were unconscious for the last 4 days. Mind if I tell you your options? Well, once you get out of the hospital anyway. I'm Halt by the way." I made another miniscule nod, and he took that as a signal to continue. Ultimately I decided to join the Wards, yes there would be restrictions on me, but the whole 'helping me learn to control my powers' bit was very interesting to me given that any time I did something even the slightest bit musical it warped reality.

Of course I still had an expected hospital stay of several months, so I requested some reading material, and settled in for the long haul.

Last edited:
*jaw drop*

That has to be honestly the worst railroad I've seen all week.

Seriously? Just seriously?
Are you referring to seriously injuring myself with my powers, or the guy asking all those questions? If the former, just because I have the ability doesn't mean I know how to use it, and for the second there's a reason I refused to respond to him after a while.

Isn't he strapped down because he has several broken bones, and they don't want him to accidently aggravate his injuries?

I would think that would be normal?
At least partially they wanted to immobilize my broken bones. However, from the outside it looked an awful lot like I tried to do a flaming dive-bomb on a bunch of innocent civilians. It's a precaution on multiple layers.

Last edited:
I found it ridicilous that this guy just let some 'random girl' rifle through his pockets, and all his reaction was... Ignore and forget about her?
"Oh look an angel with an aura... Let's just forget I ever wrote about that in my story, how awkward! Huehuehueee!"

Sigh.

I found it ridicilous that this guy just let some 'random girl' rifle through his pockets, and all his reaction was... Ignore and forget about her?
"Oh look an angel with an aura... Let's just forget I ever wrote about that in my story, how awkward! Huehuehueee!"

Sigh.
Actuallly, that 'aura' was the soul reading kicking in. I didn't have a way to deal with her effectively, and she didn't want to deal with me. Besides, I didn't 'let' her do anything, I was unconscious when she found me, and as soon as I realized what was going on I immediately got out of her grabbing range.

At least partially they wanted to immobilize my broken bones. However, from the outside it looked an awful lot like I tried to do a flaming dive-bomb on a bunch of innocent civilians. It's a precaution on multiple layers.
Not really with how badly you got injured, unless you have one of the worst powers ever, there's at least a 9/10th chance that you just triggered and hadn't yet learned how to use your power, things like that there is probably something that happen semi frequently.

Well, suddenly being capable of seeing auras would probably be quite distracting, and also a lot more important than some random criminal who has been trying to steal your stuff. I find it a bit odd that would-be robber didn't run away, though. Also, what angel are you talking about?

Not really with how badly you got injured, unless you have one of the worst powers ever, there's at least a 9/10th chance that you just triggered and hadn't yet learned how to use your power, things like that there is probably something that happen semi frequently.
Yes, but it's still a good idea to be cautious, as there is no guarantee that the new trigger will have learned to control his powers upon waking up.

If I didn't know better (because I peeked at the character sheet), I would say you have a serious case of Gamer's Mind.
As I walked, I realized that it was't just her who had one of those auras, the same applied to everyone I looked at, but they were all different. I also was coming to the realization that I really wasn't anywhere near home any more. Alright, priorities. The person who just tried to rob me quickly dropped to the bottom of the list, compared to some other parts of my predicament she just wasn't relevant.
Not checking yourself for wallet, keys, documents? Things the woman could have taken? Very important if you are stranded?
Eventually the man in the suit spoke up with "Unidentified Parahuman, you recently and recklessly used multiple highly hazardous abilities in a public space. We'll need to be asking you some questions, however, given the condition you were found in, it was elected to do it here rather than back at PRT HQ. First, what is your name?"
Does this take lessons from Armsmaster?
Suddenly something jogged in my brain about where I was. He'd called me a Parahuman. That terminology was only used in Worm to my knowledge, meaning that I was likely in the semi-civilized death world that called itself Earth Bet. Crap.
Just like that?
The man in the suit continued with his barrage of questions, refusing to dignify me with so much as a single acknowledgement that I was repeatedly asking where I was.
I'm fairly sure you can and should have a lawyer by you side.
Ultimately I decided to join the Wards,
Again, just like that? We ended up knowing Halt is merely 'not a dick', we don't know what the PRT thinks happened, the choices they gave you, anything!
Of course I still had an expected hospital stay of several months, so I requested some reading material, and settled in for the long haul.
Why not sing yourself back to health? You got the same threat rating as Glastig Uaine! That CM is already bullshit, with that power, it should be cake.

Also, I assume your CM overrode your EA 7 for you to actually crash like that. Mind you, to have that kind of relatively mundane power at threat 7, it's going to do some seriously impressive stuff. Most certainly a big Mover rating, probably another fat Thinker rating for reflexes. I fully expect someone like that to catch bullets out of the air, or pull a Neo and Dodge. Probably comes with a fairly decent Brute rating for stamina and strenght.

Well, suddenly being capable of seeing auras would probably be quite distracting, and also a lot more important than some random criminal who has been trying to steal your stuff. I find it a bit odd that would-be robber didn't run away, though. Also, what angel are you talking about?

Yes, but it's still a good idea to be cautious, as there is no guarantee that the new trigger will have learned to control his powers upon waking up.
Yeah but he made it sound as if he would be on probation and unable to quit the Wards, which they can only do if he has committed a crime and it's part of his Plea bargain to join the Wards, and I would think that anything trigger related falls under temporary insanity.

If I didn't know better (because I peeked at the character sheet), I would say you have a serious case of Gamer's Mind.
Yeah, there's a reason I've just been waiting for this thing to slowly crawl down the forum pages and finally die.

Not checking yourself for wallet, keys, documents? Things the woman could have taken? Very important if you are stranded?

Last I knew, I was in bed. I only had my coat, shoes, and some other clothes to begin with.

Does this take lessons from Armsmaster?

No, that's just me not being as good at writing as I thouht I was.

See above.

I'm fairly sure you can and should have a lawyer by you side.

Again.

[/QUOTE]Again, just like that? We ended up knowing Halt is merely 'not a dick', we don't know what the PRT thinks happened, the choices they gave you, anything![/QUOTE]

Please just let this travesty die.

Why not sing yourself back to health? You got the same threat rating as Glastig Uaine! That CM is already bullshit, with that power, it should be cake.
Because I have no idea how to use my powers. Do you honestly think you'd want to risk singing again when the last time you even casually whistled it landed you in the hospital?

Also, I assume your CM overrode your EA 7 for you to actually crash like that. Mind you, to have that kind of relatively mundane power at threat 7, it's going to do some seriously impressive stuff. Most certainly a big Mover rating, probably another fat Thinker rating for reflexes. I fully expect someone like that to catch bullets out of the air, or pull a Neo and Dodge. Probably comes with a fairly decent Brute rating for stamina and strenght.
This is another case of having no idea how to use my powers. Spoiler alert: I am not that athletic IRL. I just didn't know how to access the relevant instincts what with all the panicking.

NOTE: I may re-write this at a later date, but not right now. I've got too many projects going at the same time as it is. If I do, I shall retain my current build, but work to address all the criticism this story has quite justly received.

Back