StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Cool stuff. It looks like they're focused on making combat a lot more micro-intensive (as a slow-ass Silver Leaguer, not very pumped about that), but they're also adding a lot of cool toys to the late game.

Nydus Worms that can't be stopped sound scary as hell, as does flying cast-on-the-move Locusts. Although they sound like they're trying to get rid of the classic "Park swarm hosts a mile away from the enemy and drown them in bodies" tactic, which I applaud.

As for Terrans, lifting sieged tanks? I'm not sure of all the implications (will it really be viable in drops, compared to just carrying two Hellbats?) but it sounds fun as hell. The Cyclone also sounds like it'll be painful to fight against. I'm guessing they want to add more mobility to Terran mech play.

As for the Protoss, they finally gave us what everyone was begging for: A Carrier that can launch from a distance, and move away without dragging the interceptors back. And if I'm not mistaken, the video shows the interceptors continuing to fight even after the carrier's death. Awesome.

Campaign overview.

00:00 Story stuff
09:45 One mission preview and one mission mechanic preview
14:37 Mission environment design
21:56 Characters and Spear of Adun design
33:00 Campaign army and Spear customization

Campaign overview.
*snip*
00:00 Story stuff
09:45 One mission preview and one mission mechanic preview
14:37 Mission environment design
21:56 Characters and Spear of Adun design
33:00 Campaign army and Spear customization
At twelve and a half minutes in I spy with my little eye some Dragoons.

It'll be good to play with those things again.

EDIT: At 19:10 that's one big Hybrid.

28:30 The Spear of Adun is apparently big enough to fit fleets of Motherships.

29:45 I sure hope that having to unlock the Colossus a second time doesn't mean that there's another level that is basically "how to use the Colossus".

36:50 Those upgraded Zealots kick ass.

I have to say, I like the ability to call in orbital bombardment (or time stop) from the gigantic Protoss ship.

Last edited:
...I'm highly tempted to go back and count just how many times they said fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and I'm excited, but somehow the continued use of that word annoyed me.

I dislike that ship design immensely. What is the point of that entire empty section, filled with those weird spinning bits, if it's not going to hold anything? I mean, if they had it filled with additional Protoss ships, I would have thought it was kind of cool, with the Spear of Adun acting like some kind of mobile fleet support ship, rather than an oversized pin.

I dunno, I'll wait till it comes out before thinking about buying it. If the story is any dumber than Heart of the Storm then I'll be severely disappointed.

I dislike that ship design immensely. What is the point of that entire empty section, filled with those weird spinning bits, if it's not going to hold anything? I mean, if they had it filled with additional Protoss ships, I would have thought it was kind of cool, with the Spear of Adun acting like some kind of mobile fleet support ship, rather than an oversized pin.

I dunno, I'll wait till it comes out before thinking about buying it. If the story is any dumber than Heart of the Storm then I'll be severely disappointed.

This is protoss. They have space magic and casually bend the laws of physics. They ain't gotta explain shit.

We have a release date, this is apparently coming out in March with a beta in January (of course, it may get pushed back).

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/62484/20141218/starcraft-ii-legacy-of-the-void.htm

The StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void release date has been confirmed for March 2015 and a beta of the game has been said to come out on January 2015.

Xander Reyes of Latino Gaming Review has reported that the StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void release date has been set to March 2015 after online retailers in Russia selling the digital code for the game which unlocks their pre-download on March 2015.

Cyberland also reported that the public beta for the game has been allegedly set for January 2015.

During this year's Blizzcon, Blizzard offered the first glimpse of StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void. It continues the story of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty where the first expansion, Heart of the Swarm, left off, with a new campaign that brings the sci-fi saga to an epic conclusion.

"Protoss legends Artanis and Zeratul attempt to unite their race in an intergalactic fight for survival against an ancient evil from the Void that threatens the universe. The fates of Terran hero Jim Raynor and Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades, also hang in the balance."

Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment, said: "Legacy of the Void will deliver the quintessential StarCraft II experience. The new single-player campaign will wrap up the massive story, and we're excited to share new game modes that will open up different ways to play the game and additional units that will expand the rich strategic depth of StarCraft II multiplayer."

Blizzard has also announced two new modes for StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void; Archon Mode and Allied Commanders Mode. According to the official website:
"Archon Mode is a competitive multiplayer mode, described as a new way to enjoy StarCraft II with friends. In Archon Mode, two players share control over a single base and units as they take on an enemy duo in multiplayer action. By sharing the responsibility of commanding troops and managing resources, players can focus on their own areas of the battle and execute more intricate strategies.

On the other hand, in Allied Commanders - a cooperative experience - players can team up and take on the roles of powerful commanders from the StarCraft saga. Each commander offers unique abilities and upgrades and bestows special bonuses on their armies. Players are able to battle through a series of special scenarios together, leveling up their commanders' capabilities as they progress.

Multiplayer battles in Legacy of the Void will be fought with an array of new units, as well as upgrades to veteran forces. Zerg swarms will welcome the return of the Lurker, a classic creature from the original StarCraft that lays waste to infantry with deadly spines that burst from the ground. The Protoss field a new weapon called the Disruptor, which can use massive energy spikes to wreak havoc through swaths of ground forces. And the Terrans have engineered some new technology, such as Tactical Jump, which allows their Battlecruisers to teleport to any location on the battlefield. Several more new units and abilities were exhibited at BlizzCon, showcasing the new strategic and tactical options in store for players with Legacy of the Void."

Blizzard also revealed that Legacy of the Void will include functionality that enhances online multiplayer play with automated tournaments, providing players with ongoing events that support the active StarCraft II community. Legacy of the Void will be a standalone expansion that does not require a license of the base game, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, or the first expansion, Heart of the Swarm. Further details about Legacy of the Void, including pricing and availability, will be announced at a later date.

Terran Battlecruisers having nBSG jump tech, essentially?

DO WANT.

All three missions leaked when they were still slightly incomplete.

I feel obliged to note that Kerrigan's forces in the first mission have evolution mission upgrades, I predict fun based around fighting Zerg enemies with both upgrades at some point in the campaign.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping they cap it off with a "everyone uses the upgrades" at some point just for hilariously overpowered fun.

Fully upgraded Siege Tanks + Medics backing Torrasque strain Ultralisks and Raptor!Cracklings + hilarious Protoss shit = Hybrids you really picked the wrong fucking galaxy

I'm still hoping they cap it off with a "everyone uses the upgrades" at some point just for hilariously overpowered fun.

Fully upgraded Siege Tanks + Medics backing Torrasque strain Ultralisks and Raptor!Cracklings + hilarious Protoss shit = Hybrids you really picked the wrong fucking galaxy

I can't help but feel we're going to get something similar to the last level of Warcraft 3. Or hopefully something similar to it, whatever gets us a real team up between the Raiders (and probably the dominion and whatever else Raynor and co. can scrounge up), the Zerg, and the Protoss.

I feel obliged to note that Kerrigan's forces in the first mission have evolution mission upgrades, I predict fun based around fighting Zerg enemies with both upgrades at some point in the campaign.

And because the computer just loves to cheat, we're probably going to have to face ALL of them at various points. Or all at once because this game loves to be cruel at times.

I'm not sure why, but something about the size of the Archon seemed a bit off to me. Might just be the lack of being enveloped in fire/energy though.

Back