Sorcerously Advanced(Post Singularity Fantasy Setting)

OctarineShrike

Sorcerously Advanced is a high powered fantasy setting running on a diceless system where virtually everyone has spellcasting ability that focuses on the implications of this, such as what to do when nearly everybody is immortal and even resurrection of the dead is possible, albeit a high end/time and mana intensive magical working. The setting is weird and awesome and I love it. The default player character group is adventurer archeologists working for the magical equivalent to wikipedia, and there's an organization of Martial Arts Necromancers that save people from fates worse than death. Ubiquitous Immortality strong enough to keep you from dying unless you commit suicide or somebody exploits your very specific immortality flaw makes this a reasonable concern, because even if your body is reduced to ash, you will reconstitute yourself. Immortality Flaw or bust.

In X meets Y terminology, I would call it low end Xianxia(Personal destructive power tops at city block destruction) meets Mage the Ascension. The system is based on the Sufficiently Advanced 2nd edition system, meant for high powered sci-fi.

It is currently in it's final alpha release, with Layout testing being done for the Beta and in need of feedback. I have been acting as an obsessed nutbar who asks a lot of questions/informal editor for Colin who writes the book on the wikidot forums and realized I should make a thread for general discussion/sanity checking any concerns that may occur to me rather than intrude on other threads.

Here's a concern I wanted to Sanity check: Are the Unroyal as much of a Nativists/Anti-Immigration Activists/Anti-Roma activists horror story as I think they are, and is this problematic if so(Edit:They aren't the only nomadic group in the setting)? I thought about how they'd look from an outside perspective, weird and inconvenient things happen around chaotic mana, which they are more likely to use considering they're wild mages, they're nomadic, and they dislike tyrants and work against them. They also have a habit of persona-switching, which I suspect makes them great at acting/infiltration and makes it hard for other civilizations to trust them because they never know how much of what an Unroyal is doing is an act.

Beta Layout Test: http://suffadv.wdfiles.com/local--files/forum:new-thread/SsA_beta_layout_test.pdf
Alpha Version 6: http://suffadv.wdfiles.com/local--files/forum:new-thread/Sorcerously Advanced Alpha.pdf

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but have you played sufficiently advanced? I'm more into scifi than fantasy so it grabbed my interest more.

As the game's author I'm definitely interested in hearing responses to this. Good representation is a major goal of mine in this game, and while many groups are intentionally problematic (in ways that I want the characters to confront in-game), I don't want to perpetuate problematic ideas.

This particular issue is one that I hadn't seen in the Unroyals myself originally, but given how much I screwed up the Roamers in the original Sufficiently Advanced, I want to be extra-cautious about it.

Concern that occurred to me recently:

Those Above the Sky might be viewable as saying something unpleasant about Asexuality if there isn't any other representation of them or acknowledgment they exist elsewhere, considering they're gray skinned as an adaptation to their low mana/void-mana saturated space environment(also for the sake of a Roswell reference), they have low sex drive, and everyone needs mana to survive in this setting so its like saying asexual people have less life force than everyone else.

Thoughts?

Edit: I only thought to Google this afterward but it looks like Asexuality and low sex drive are different things so never mind?

Last edited:
For any interested parties, there is an extended layout test/preliminary new version of the character creation chapter.

Among other changes, skill level 5 no longer requires one to have exploited time dilation or be a pre-gift immortal to reach due to the experience expectation being reduced to centuries. Adept expertise is now Prodigy Expertise with only one related profession besides the scholar/theurge ratings provided, and there is a new form of supernatural expertise based on Archetype channeling.

http://suffadv.wikidot.com/local--files/forum:thread/SsA_character_creation_beta.pdf

I'm currently pondering the forces that might incentivize cities less than 10 miles in diameter as the most common type of settlement and looking for someone to discuss my thoughts with..

1. The Travel Grid. An easily accessible dimension that gives you a 10 mile path to anywhere that hasn't somehow been blocked off. It means that unless you've got some reason to build beyond 10 miles in diameter, building somewhere else is typically more efficient. Also, if you aren't willing to put a city somewhere you claim, enforcing your claim is basically impossible. Owning a region means blanketing it in cities unless you're willing to amalgamate all the travel grid access points there into nexuses you control. This has economic efficiency costs and requires institution scale effort. Densely settled areas less than 10 miles in diameter are more defensible too. Fewer travel grid access points to lock down, more people to detect intruders or fight off sudden attacks, etc.

2. Diadem Military/Mercenary operations during the Interregnum. Military things the Diadem did taught people urban sprawl is a bad idea somehow.

3. Consensus Canons. What people in a region typically think of when they think of an object changes what people can conjure. More city-states means more cultural divergence means a larger variety of tradable goods.

4. Environmental Mana aspects. Engineering a region into the environment you want because it produces a given type of Mana is a mana-intensive, and therefore expensive process. It's easier to find a region with useful mana aspects and build a city or cities there to claim it. Considering local mana influences what people can conjure, this also means they have distinct trade goods and can trade mana with other cities.

5. Communication. Instant, easy communication with somebody else at long distance needs Communion 4 which is above average. The person needs to care about you, you need someone or something they care about as a relay, or you need something they made themselves and put effort into. The next best alternative is travel grid messengers, if they have self 5 they can cross the grid in 3 minutes or less. The average person takes 20.

So, does this lead to a city state friendly environment or am I missing something?

The Unroyals have been reworked into a Dreamworld based civilization like the Glimmermere. Here's their new writeup if people are curious.

The Unroyal

History

Long ago, in a distant part of the Kaleidoscope, a powerful family had magical powers that they used to enslave a hundred thousand people. They walked from world to world through wild magic zones and nightmarish Dream Realms, so that their captives found the outside world horrible and dangerous. They stole their slaves' freedom, their dignity, and sometimes even their very thoughts, all so that they could live in luxury. They called themselves the Royals.

Then, one glorious day, their reign ended. Thousands of people snapped out of mind control. Tens of thousands more drank the wild magic like cold pure water and rained angry fire on their oppressors. Some of the Royals no doubt escaped, but their control had been broken, and the so-called "common folk" were free. Free, and surging with unexpected and uncomprehended power.

They banded together and named themselves The Unroyal in defiance of their former rulers. Slowly they learned the magic of their oppressors in addition to their own, turning it to righteousness and introspection rather than excess and domination. After decades of seeking through the Dream Realms, they returned home to their own world, the Great Basin of humanity. There they found a new homeland, where they worked to end the Interregnum. They worked to teach love and respect, to sue for freedom when they could and fight for it when they could not, so that no one would ever suffer what they had.

Unlike the Hearth-Kin, the Unroyal have been back in the Basin for over three hundred years already. They've had time to sculpt a homeland - but they haven't done it in the Basin. Instead, they've done it in the Dream Realms. They find worlds that share their goals and partner with them. They bring oppressed people out of the most dangerous parts of the Kaleidoscope, and into the safety of dream worlds like Kharadesh of the Unbroken Mind, Murathame: Orphan's Respite, or U'tu the Peasant's Glorious Sunrise. In less persecuted lands, they help to build up infrastructure, teach sorcery, and enable self-reliance.

Because their civilization's heart is located beyond the physical world, much of the Unroyal's technology is focused on things they can bring with them into the Basin. The most common devices are relics and enchanted objects that funnel wild magic or represent their beliefs. Most of their magical infrastructure is emotionally oriented, using elemental resonances or glorious transubstantiation to cross the gap between the physical and the ephemeral.
The Unroyal are a representative democracy.
Spotlight: The Living Pantheon

During their long subjugation, the public personas of individual Unroyals were designated by the Royals. This included not only dress, but behavior: outgoing or timid, active or retiring, rough or tender, in ways that matched the Royals' own societal roles. The Royals could be very particular about this, punishing their slaves for acting out of character, and assigning roles that they themselves found demeaning.

After they obtained their freedom, most Unroyals felt uncomfortable in these roles. To free their minds, they put forth their own heroes, and sought out archetypes from other cultures, creating a vast array of new ways to think and be. They call this the Living Pantheon. It is "living" not in the sense that its members can change over time (though they do), but because the Unroyals themselves live those lives and inhabit those roles.

Many Unroyal follow the path of one of the Living Pantheon. They take on that role the way one might taste a fine chocolate or try on a silk shirt, savoring it, deciding whether it fits them. They weigh the archetype against their inner selves, and if the fit is not quite right, they move on to a new role. Their bodies, postures, and self-expressions often change to fit. Outsiders often assume they're dealing with the same person they met last year, when really someone else is inhabiting the role they once held. (Unroyals are quick to clear up such mistakes, lest they cause bigger problems.) Someone who initially presents as hyper-masculine might be awkwardly effeminate a year later, or gracefully feminine, or masculine in a more compassionate way.

Early on, most Unroyals quickly settled into positions and roles where they were comfortable. A hundred years later, as the truth of immortality began to set in, the Unroyals returned role-changing as a way to keep their minds flexible. Most Unroyals follow such archetypes for a few months or years at a time before trying something new.

In some ways, these changes (and their own overly busy lives) can blind the Unroyals to the plight of others. When someone complains that they aren't able to do what they want because of their role in society, an Unroyal citizen is likely to suggest that people change who they are rather than to deal with a societal issue. If it's not tyranny, it's not so big that you can't change yourself to handle it. It takes an Unroyal some extra time to remember that other people value a long-term static self, and would rather improve its lot than take on a more fluid identity.
Spotlight: Courage and Service

Being Unroyal requires a certain amount of grit. Their children learn it at a young age - along with the difference between tenacity and just plain stubbornness. They also learn the importance of service. There's no way that the Unroyal are going to rid the Basin of tyranny without everyone working together. While the gigantic Nova Commonwealth scatters its seeds far and wide, and mighty Diadem wastes the majority of its citizens' talents, comparatively small Unroyal makes sure that everyone's pulling in the same direction.

Children among the Unroyal are taught teamwork as a means to an end. They don't have to love it, but it's how you get things done. One common metaphor is that when you want to shine bright, teamwork is the only oil for that lamp. Not all Unroyals enjoy cooperation, but all of them value it.

Most teams amongst the Unroyal don't have a single leader. With people taking on new personae on a regular basis, you can't rely solely on strong or compatible personalities to hold things together. Instead, they have experts for various situations. Being an expert is considered its own kind of service: when people need what you know, you can't stubbornly hang on to a personality that's counterproductive. You need to step up now, and if you need to bow out gracefully, you wait for the danger to be over.
Hallmarks

• Symbols of their principles
  • Weather foretells the future
  • Wind and thunder presage danger
  • Well-traveled allies from distant lands
  • Strange occurrences that flout probability
  • Jewelry and tattoos that represent their beliefs
  • Bizarre plants with a hundred fascinating purposes
  • Councils with the great spirits of the dream worlds
  • Visitors and refugees from a hundred different realms
  • Bottles full of chaotic mana for use when things are dire
  • Events conspire to make random occurrences into stories
  • Mirrors that store the viewer's magical signature and intentions
  • Paths that lead wanderers to the destination their heart desires - or deserves
Core Values

Just because the Gift frees all living beings from mind control doesn't mean no one can subjugate you. There are a thousand ways to control, all of them bad. Let None Rule You. You can work with someone you don't like, you can go with a vote you don't agree with, you can even take orders if you think someone knows better than you, but you do not bow your head - nor ask anyone to bow their head to you. The age of kings should be over, and the Unroyal will be the first people to tell you that the Interregnum is far from done.

Shine Brightly. Go into the dark places and bring the light. Whatever you can do best, do it, and do it to bring joy and life and freedom to the world. Don't let anyone stop you.

Note that many Unroyals have the Archetypal Expertise (page xx), linked to their current choice in the Living Pantheon. This will grant them an appropriate Core Value when its Professions are in use.
Traditions

The Key of Freedom: C5 I3 M3 S5 T3 W5
The Key of Courage: C3 I5 M5 S3 T5 W3

The first magic of the Unroyal was The Key of Freedom, which walks the path of Wild Magic to the fount of Earthpower. It is a personal and an interpersonal art, whether that means communication or battle or self-understanding. Importantly, it is never impersonal. The practitioner is never merely a conduit for power. Instead, the power is connected to who they are, have been, and will be. Bearers of the Key of Freedom have been known to:
  • Flow with the roiling mana of battle to pull meteors from the sky
  • Carefully piece together a Rapport by resonating with another's mana
  • Listen to the wind and the weather to understand what is coming for them tomorrow
  • Adapt to local spaces: become quiet in a quiet place, or hard and gnarled in a grove of ancient trees
  • Use the mana of pain and suffering to call to the energy of healing, letting people transform themselves in moments of hardship to what they wish they had been
The art that the Unroyals took from their captors was The Key of Courage, which walks the path of Belief to the fount of Glory. It requires a Core Value pertaining to hierarchy, control, and command. The Unroyal's own Let None Rule You CV is most common, but any interpretation of those concepts will do. Bearers of the Key of Courage use it to:
  • Use their own unquenchable nature to prevent the haughty from noticing them
  • Trap a curse in a metaphorical labyrinth made of the strength of one's convictions
  • Understand the Travel lattice's relationship to power, and thereby open it
  • Recite catechisms to raise a wall of thunder between the worthy and the unworthy
  • Use a captive's desire for freedom to open gateways to the Dream Realms
The Key of Courage has been substantially reinvented and altered since its early days. A tool of oppression and control has been converted into a means to achieve freedom and self-sufficiency. There were arguments early on as to whether the Key of Courage was appropriate to learn at all, or whether it would lead to repeating the mistakes of the past. Those arguments are mostly gone now, but there are still some who refuse to learn it because of its history, calling it the Key of Folly.
Benefit

Once per session, when they achieve an Advantage through conflict or Theme use that frees or inspires others, Unroyals may raise the level of that advantage by one (for instance, from Minor to Moderate). In addition, when enchanting others with the Gift they move one step faster on the time ladder.

Colin's doing a small kickstarter spinoff project focused on the Nova Commonwealth for Kickstarter's Zine quest if anybody's interested.

I didn't realize that was an option until just now. Thanks! (Sovereign with self 5 and the target's consent could totally do that using the Uncountable Spinners of Silver Cord/Thread to reincarnate them, it doesn't have the same name in some places so that's a thing I need to notify Colin about for editing purposes.)

Oh right! I was thinking of dropping a line on the SsA forums about this ages ago, but I forgot about it until all of this rules talk reminded me, and I figure you probably know too.

How is flight ("Fly because you wish it so" "Fly faster than a falcon" etc) handled through the Self-nature? Telekinesis can do it (inefficiently) through Industry, if you pick yourself up and start accelerating, but are you just supposed to shapeshift into an aerodynamic form if you want flight through Self?

Oh right! I was thinking of dropping a line on the SsA forums about this ages ago, but I forgot about it until all of this rules talk reminded me, and I figure you probably know too.

How is flight ("Fly because you wish it so" "Fly faster than a falcon" etc) handled through the Self-nature? Telekinesis can do it (inefficiently) through Industry, if you pick yourself up and start accelerating, but are you just supposed to shapeshift into an aerodynamic form if you want flight through Self?

That hasn't been weighed in on by Colin, but I've been treating self-based flight like anime flight, possibly with tradition dependent aesthetic quirks.

Colin's tinkering around with a new Character sheet at the moment for anybody who wants to weigh in on that.
The back is okay, but the front is ow. I can't tell what anything in the top is for beyond looking cool. Maybe numbers for the Natures, a box for competitive advantage, and a box for Disconnect? But it's not obvious. And it doesn't seem like the sheet makes a distinction between Civilizations and Societies.

The back is okay, but the front is ow. I can't tell what anything in the top is for beyond looking cool. Maybe numbers for the Natures, a box for competitive advantage, and a box for Disconnect? But it's not obvious. And it doesn't seem like the sheet makes a distinction between Civilizations and Societies.

Haven't floated my speculations yet to Colin but...

The Swirly Circles in the art piece up top seem to be meant for Nature ratings in 3 traditions, with each ring of circles(Outer/Middle/Inner) being a different tradition with a separate set of natures.

Still seems like useful feedback though given the lack of any prior context I provided.

Colin is making a push to get things in Sorcerously Advanced to Final Candidate stage this month.

Several Civilizations have gotten retooled Core Values.

• The Cult's became "Hold To Your Traditions" and "Know Yourself" - fairly small changes.
  • The Golden Ægis lost "Bring the Light" (which was too vague) in favor of "Raise Every Voice"
  • The Sovereigns lost "You Need Prove Nothing" in favor of "Every Soul a Fortress"
  • Those Above now have "Stand Alone" and "Seize Responsibility"
  • The Unroyals' vague "Shine Brightly" was replaced with "Lend Your Strength", and "Let None Rule You" became more widely applicable as "Let No One Reign."
  • The Worldbuilders shifted from "Be Relentless" to "Stand Again", which is clearer as to when it applies. "Plan for the Future" became the more emotional "Prize the Future".
  • In Society news, the Protean Society went from "Freedom of Form" to "Unlock Change" and the Windblown lost "Tell your Story" (though they still have an oral tradition), picking up "Caution and Order".
  • One goal for all of these was to make more reactive/defensive CVs into things that drive people to action, and thus can be used in a wider variety of conflicts.

I thought this was worth reposting here.

Quoted from Colins post on RPG.net(Stock art with Black characters)
Hello, everyone!

For National Game Design Month I'm working on finishing off Sorcerously Advanced, my current big project. I've got a ton of art for it, but none of it features Black, Indian, or African folks. All I've got are figures who are far enough away that you can't tell much about them, and close-ups who look more Caucasian or East Asian. I'm specifically looking for stock art (because I am poor right now) in the style of SimpleB or GrandFailure (to match the existing art). It doesn't even have to be close-ups, even someone who clearly has natural hair would be good. Hoping to find at least 20 pieces.

Any suggestions?

While I have ceased participation with the project(I was in a multiway procrastination deadlock, look at Sorcerously Advanced and I get the feeling I should be taking care of a different project, do that project and I get the feeling I should be looking at Sorcerously Advanced, leading to nothing getting done I could be satisfied with. Also I didn't want to be seen as a brand ambassador for the rest of my life and was getting psychosomatic stomach problems from the possibility), the full release of Sorcerously Advanced came out while SV was down. It's on Drivethrurpg as pay what you want.

Last edited:
Back