These people have to know Marble Hornets is a thing already right?

Also yes, striking the iron when it was abandoned in siberia for the last few years. At least the FNAF movie, as much as people groaned when it got announced, made some sense in the timetable it was supposed to be released.

Also... this doesn't look all that good, like it looks generic horror fare.

...How did they acquire the rights?

Like people forget this because the owner is super chill, but Slenderman is in fact copyrighted. The owner typically only uses it to put a kibosh on, well, projects like this.

...How did they acquire the rights?

Like people forget this because the owner is super chill, but Slenderman is in fact copyrighted. The owner typically only uses it to put a kibosh on, well, projects like this.

Mythology Entertainment, who owned the media rights to Slenderman, sold them to Screen Gems.

So I guess this is a thing. A thing that came by waaaay to late, but still a thing. Maybe it's a good thing it came out so late though. Even if this movie is a 10 out of 10, nobody would have been satisfied if it came out when the iron was hot. There would have been way too much hype.

Last edited:
I'll admit, if this can capture the mundane creepiness of the first dozen or so Marble Hornet installments, I'm all for it. It's a simple premise with a great monster.

That's kind of sad, really. A film that's dated as hell before the first trailer even released, and which doesn't do anything too novel with the played-out premise either.

Yeah, Sony really missed the timing here for all the Fans, but if they can make a good movie out of it...

I can see a lot of the Generic Monster cues they're going for, or I THINK I do at least. The thing with his hands is weird too, it doesn't feel like Slendy, my first thought was a Proxy...but I realized Sony likely didn't do enough research to even get that part of the lore. That all said, I see possibilities here...I'll likely try to catch it.

It really doesn't fit Slender man's MO. If I remember Marble Hornets and Everyman Hybrid correctly, those were slow burns to a large degree.

A full on Slenderman movie just seems like its missing the point, in much the same way that most video game licence movies do.
Marble Hornets and its successors are deeply products of their media. The delays between episodes, all the puzzles, all the community interaction are all part of what make this kind of horror work.

Idiot protagonists: This is how we get Katie back
*Clicks Summon Him*

There's something to be said for a memetic horror where the act of seeking help actually makes them vectors for the thing to get to you...but this isn't that. And it isn't interesting. Honestly I'd love to see something where the Protag isn't exposed until a good way in and it becomes apparent that the act of seeking the information they need also draws the threat in. Probably even play off the 'seven pages' thing for the finale.

You know it's a bad sign when most of the reviews talking about it say that the Bye-Bye Man was a better horror movie.

Idiot protagonists: This is how we get Katie back
*Clicks Summon Him*

There's something to be said for a memetic horror where the act of seeking help actually makes them vectors for the thing to get to you...but this isn't that. And it isn't interesting. Honestly I'd love to see something where the Protag isn't exposed until a good way in and it becomes apparent that the act of seeking the information they need also draws the threat in. Probably even play off the 'seven pages' thing for the finale.

See 'The Escapee' from SCP where even trying to get info shanks you mind body and soul.

Back