Skyborne: a Quest of Airships, Terror and Revolution

Voting is open
We could report the slavers and the creature, and then just blame the creature for the scientists being gone.

We even have good justification for snooping around the base, considering how we still have the letter and the base's incapacitated boss (Director Vischear) with us. Also we currently have suspicions regarding the mental corruption those scientist and Mr. Drees may have been under.

Last edited:
We could report the slavers and the creature, and then just blame the creature for the scientists being gone.

We even have good justification for snooping around the base, considering how we still have the letter and the base's incapacitated boss (Director Vischear) with us. Also we currently have suspicions regarding the mental corruption those scientist and Mr. Drees may have been under.
That might work. I'm also wondering how much the Republic officials know about the creatures mind altering abilities, we could say that the people in the base were mentally altered and not thinking straight.

Yep. Blame the unknown, mind breaking creature of the deep that feeds on human flesh.

As long as we have the letter and Director Vischear as proof, I'd see us only being contested by those who don't believe the creature exists, along with those who really want to play with the creature of the deep.

[X] Plan Research & Redirection
-[X] You liberated slave laborers. You uncovered the station's illegal transportation and enslavement of workers from the colonies, and dutifully liberated them. The orchestrators of these crimes are Mr Daan Drees and his cohorts.
-[X] Drees and his scientists. The scientists will not be seen again, which makes them a perfect scapegoat for the loss of the cargo. You'll report that they turned on you and stole away the cargo for their own selfish gain, with you regrettably unable to track them down.
-[X] [Sharp] Begin an engineering Project.
--[X] [Sharp] Study the electric engine.

[X] Plan Greed of Men
-[X] You liberated slave laborers and encountered something in the deep.
-[X] Drees and his scientists.
-[X] [Sharp] Study the electric engine.

[x] Plan Greed of Men
-[x] You liberated slave laborers and encountered something in the deep.
-[x] Drees and his scientists.
-[x] [Sharp] Study the electric engine.

I think blaming the scientists for stealing the creature might go worse if we admit knowing the mind-controlling nature of the creature. Why wouldn't we take appropriate security measures?

Perhaps we might blame the creature itself, but I am afraid they are going to trawl the sea if we give them even an approximate location of its escape.

...or not. They still have the original, after all.

I think blaming the scientists for stealing the creature might go worse if we admit knowing the mind-controlling nature of the creature. Why wouldn't we take appropriate security measures?
Just to be clear, you're worried about admitting our knowledge about the eldritch mind-control but voting for the plan that includes revealing that?

Sort of.

I want the option that admits our knowledge, and am wondering if putting the blame on a different party would work better with it.

[X] Plan Research & Redirection
-[X] You liberated slave laborers. You uncovered the station's illegal transportation and enslavement of workers from the colonies, and dutifully liberated them. The orchestrators of these crimes are Mr Daan Drees and his cohorts.
-[X] Drees and his scientists. The scientists will not be seen again, which makes them a perfect scapegoat for the loss of the cargo. You'll report that they turned on you and stole away the cargo for their own selfish gain, with you regrettably unable to track them down.
-[X] [Sharp] Begin an engineering Project.
--[X] [Sharp] Study the electric engine.

[x] Plan Standard Post-Op Debrief
-[x] You liberated slave laborers and encountered something in the deep.
-[x] You.
-[x] [Strange] Experiment in the Laboratory. You are eager to see what your new laboratory is capable of.
--[x] [Strange] Experiment with electricity.

I've come around to having socialization with Crew be a separate Ship Action. As such, you can vote for socializing on top of another Ship Action. Feel free to edit your plans accordingly.

I also realized that there is no option to poke around Director Visscher's brain, so I'm adding one!

@Photomajig - Is the Hadewijch basically a submarine strapped under a blimp envelope? The description says it has a rigid envelope, but also that said envelope is pulled down past the Montgolfier Mile or when submerged? And what exactly does 'raising the deck' entail?

I've also added socializing with Georges to Greed of Men. I think treating Visscher will have to wait untill we study the engine and do experiments with electricity. Then we can decide how to proceed with a better handle on the risks.

@Photomajig - Is the Hadewijch basically a submarine strapped under a blimp envelope? The description says it has a rigid envelope, but also that said envelope is pulled down past the Montgolfier Mile or when submerged? And what exactly does 'raising the deck' entail?

Yes and no? The main envelope is used in the ascent only, while still within the regular sky and its regular Earth physics. Once past the Mile, the unearthly lightness of the world-sky makes it unnecessary, so it's emptied, folded down and cleared away belowdecks. I suppose that makes it a blimp of a sort. After the main envelope has been cleared away, the deck is raised - weapons, ramparts and other sections which are in the way of the envelope are brought up and attached to their places, leaving the deck open to walk around in like that of a sailing ship.

When submerging, the deck is sealed instead and everyone heads belowdecks inside the ship.

'But QM, that doesn't make any sense!' Well, that's too bad. If you want realism and fancy plausible science, go make your own high skies adventure Quest, grumble grumble.

Yes and no? The main envelope is used in the ascent only, while still within the regular sky and its regular Earth physics. Once past the Mile, the unearthly lightness of the world-sky makes it unnecessary, so it's emptied, folded down and cleared away belowdecks. I suppose that makes it a blimp of a sort. After the main envelope has been cleared away, the deck is raised - weapons, ramparts and other sections which are in the way of the envelope are brought up and attached to their places, leaving the deck open to walk around in like that of a sailing ship.

When submerging, the deck is sealed instead and everyone heads belowdecks inside the ship.

'But QM, that doesn't make any sense!' Well, that's too bad. If you want realism and fancy plausible science, go make your own high skies adventure Quest, grumble grumble.

*Sad Engineering Noises*

[x] Plan Greed of Men

So this, plus we vote on Socials as well?

I've edited the plan to add Hannepin as the social action.

In other news, I just realized that buoyancy depends only on volume and the relative density of the two substances involved.
Lowering gravity doesn't help because the buoyant force will just decrease by the same amount. :(

In other news, I just realized that buoyancy depends only on volume and the relative density of the two substances involved.
Lowering gravity doesn't help because the buoyant force will just decrease by the same amount. :(

Bold of you to assume that the world-sky works by your lowly Earth physics. The scientists of this universe had just as much trouble accepting these things, no worries.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Photomajig on May 14, 2021 at 11:37 AM, finished with 24 posts and 9 votes.

Northern Waters: 26 - Flying Post
[X] Plan Greed of Men
-[X] You liberated slave laborers and encountered something in the deep.
-[X] Drees and his scientists.
-[X] [Sharp] Study the electric engine.
-[X] Georges Hennepin.

You finish your report two days into the journey, after some contemplation and a few moments of hesitation. It ends up reading honest up to the point of your departure from the North Sea Station. [Subtle: 13] With some difficulty, you write a decently compelling account where the scientists take advantage of your trust - fostered by Mr Drees' personal choice of them - and the gullibility of simple sailors in order to abscond with the cargo while you are docked at the sanctuary port. The Republic is free to follow their trail as they like. You don't think they will be found.

You expect to face accusations of incompetence, at the least. If you knew what the cargo contained, how could you possibly allow it to be guarded so lightly? But there, you hope to put the blame squarely on Mr Drees' shoulders. Your crime shall be honest faith in a fellow servant of the Republic, nothing more or less. Whether that excuse shall work will rather depend on who is to judge your case, you suspect.

Some of your crew might give a different version of events when pressed, but you doubt any have the complete story. With luck and hopefully a degree of loyalty among the sailors, the truth will not get out.

The officers, at least, are unlikely to talk. Ms Vroomen owes you her position on this ship and undoubtedly held no love of the scientists or the cargo after what she experienced at your side. Hennepin has no reason to sell you out - you think that applies for most of them. Mr van Assen, with his loyalty to the Service, is of some concern, but you've kept him generally in the dark about what exactly went down with the loss of the cargo, for his own good.

Much of the voyage back passes hard at work with the electric marvels in your hold. Whatever strange forces are at work within it, it is still simply a machine. It has its own clear mechanical logic, even if that seems impossibly obscure from the outside. There are no instructions or blueprints to help you along, but you intend to prove yourselves up to the challenge.

[Sharp: 16+2+3=21]

You, Ms Saragih and Ms Vroomen spend a great deal of time with the elaborate machines that are the engine and its accompanying Zotova generator. The basic principles are clear. Energy is converted into electrical power through the peculiar dynamo structure; the electrical power turns propellers, lights lamps, provides heat or any other use you might think to put it to. Propulsion is, naturally, what you are chiefly interested in. To get full use of your new engine, it will demand everything the generator can put out.

The growth of your understanding is gradual. The machines' secrets begin to unfold, but the deeper mysteries have yet to be cracked. You must proceed with caution or risk damaging the machine, so the work is necessarily slow. The Russians have wrung out more power from such simple ingredients than you would have thought possible. This is technology you greatly desire to have for yourself.

'Study the electric engine' is now at 21/40 Progress.

***​

On the evening of the fifth day, with the sun painted gloriously crimson through the clouds in the horizon, you walk around on deck and listen in on a conversation between one of your midshipmen and a lookout.

'Uncommon bare skies these are, by any reckoning,' the midshipman says. 'Why, we've not seen one English ship on patrol in five days. Have they all gone home to roost?'

You do not interrupt the conversation, but it is damned curious. The British believe in frequent patrols around their airspace; they often fly well-stocked long-rangers over the sea approaches which don't come down in months. You've understood it's a particularly unpopular duty for British skyjacks, but a mass mutiny on their part doesn't strike you as very likely. You've flown within sight of Britain for days after leaving the northern Atlantic behind, but you've only sighted land batteries and civilian air traffic. Where have the ships gone?

The matter is illuminated somewhat on the sixth day, when the Hadewijch passes a skittish postal courier in Hanoverian colors, running a North Sea circuit. The small ship's captain knows better than to resist when you summon her to come abreast and pass over a parcel of the latest papers from the continent. You pick out the latest Unionist from the pile and study the front page with interest.

It's not the paper's predictably rosy description of young Prince Willem's confirmation as his father's heir that interests you, however many pages they've dedicated to it. There is an article of mass mutinies among British sepoy troops in the Bengal. Rebellion in India, then. That may certainly have convinced the British to send some of their craft southwards. It's a decently long way even with a fast ship - around most of Africa and India itself - and they'll surely be flying a whole fleet. You would have thought the British to have enough forces in the area to pacify any revolt; certainly there are always squadrons roaming the Horn and all over 'Fortress Australasia'. But by the sounds of the other piece, the one of the Empire, the Dominion has trouble enough as it is.

'It'll be war in India, certainly,' Mr Hennepin says confidently when the matter is brought up during dinner. 'War, and a wretched business that will be for the textile trade.'

Signora Traversi raises a neat eyebrow. 'Surely it will not go that far. The English have dealt with mutinies before. I dare say they are experts at crushing such aspirations of liberty.'

'If the Bengal falls, the French territories will follow,' Mr van Assen notes. 'They're barely answering to Paris as it is. Pass the pudding, will you, Ms Saragih?'

'And who shall restore order? The Turk? The Insulindians?'

Eyes turn towards Ms Saragih, who appears as if she wished she were somewhere else. Hennepin does not have the patience to wait for any potential comment from the half-Insulindian woman; he barrels on.

'Frankly, it matters little, so long as someone puts the boot down. The last thing we need is instability in India. You leave them to fight amongst themselves for too long, and the Commune will be there sooner than you can say-'

Mr van Assen, perhaps emboldened by the strong liquor flowing freely at the table, interrupts him rather brazenly. 'You forget, Mr Hennepin, that the peoples of India are well capable of choosing their own destiny. Perhaps in this revolt, we see the first steps towards independence?'

'Well, why not. So long as they keep the calico coming! Let no-one say I am opposed to self-determination among the Orientals. This unnatural strangehold on trade by the British and the French and the Italians has been most unwelcome for honest businessmen everywhere. May I say, Captain, that this crème caramel is particularly good, and my compliments to the chef.'

The conversation shifts soon enough, your officers' real or claimed expertise on the Indian situation spent. It is not something that affects you greatly, or the Republic, which has little interests in India. But perhaps, as Mr van Assen suggested, this shall lead to the end of colonial rule on that great subcontinent. An interesting prospect - the world continues to change.

What remaining free time you have, you spend with Mr Hennepin. His ordeal in the deep took a toll on him, however much he pretends to have recovered. It is natural enough for you to invite your first mate for private meals or to stroll around the deck. True privacy is difficult to find on an airship - the walls are only so thick - but you try to manage it, to grant your efforts the discretion they deserve.

He is a genial companion, for the most part. It is amusing how little Hennepin tolerates untoward silences or lulls in conversation. The slightest possibility of such a hazard rearing its ugly head is driven back by the beginning of a new anecdote, comment or polite question of a matter of little importance but decent conversational value.

These same social graces make it difficult to pin him down long enough to even attempt to discuss the thing in the deep, and what it did to him. He pivots away with all the skill of a dancer whenever you near the topic. You get the strong impression that he does not wish to speak or even think of that experience ever again. As far as Georges Hennepin is concerned, it might not even have happened.

He would rather speak of anything else. The man has plenty of stories from his youth, his later years, and even hoped-for exploits in his future. It becomes apparent he was born to wealth and spent much of his youth indulging in various frowned-upon and adventurous pursuits available to the rich and connected, such as safaris, illicit boxing clubs and rocket-car racing, which you understand to be some mad sport where witless young men jump inside ramshackle sleds with rocket engines bolted onto them and hurtle down the length of an empty field hoping not to die. Either he exaggerates a great deal of it, or he is very fortunate to still be among the living.

The course of his life is straightforward enough. Born to an engineer father; learned something of the mechanist's trade in his fledgling company; sent off to university in Antwerp, where he received a full education in the classics with the intention of going into politics; lived something of a decadent youth; married and allegedly turned his life around; inherited his father's business and forged it into the behemoth of industry that is Hennepin Steel; fought for twenty years against all comers in the merciless arena of Capital; and now, finally, left his company to his sons and embarked on this grand adventure of yours.

You feel deeply sorry for having exposed him to such trauma in your very first flight. It was an adventure, for certain, but not like the ones printed in the cheap papers. Perhaps he will come around to see it as one, however, and add it to his collection of many factual and fictional stories.

The anecdotes are many and amusing. [Sense: 12+4=16] They are also, you suspect, a defense mechanism of sorts. He evades any chance of showing uncertainty or vulnerability by a relentless barrage of entertaining quotes and tales. Courtesy demands you listen to each and every one, though they are certainly not dull:

'Have I mentioned, Captain, how I met my wife? Oh, Élise, the dear creature, she fainted and fell from the stands - right into the seat of my waiting rocket. Imagine my surprise when I made to mount my vehicle for the race and found within it the fairest young lady I'd ever had the fortune of laying my eyes upon...'

'Ah, my business partner at the time, Mr Gagnon, was taken by pirates somewhere above the Alps in '41. Or was it '44? Not so long ago, in any case. We pulled a great many strings and paid no small amount of money to have him released, and wouldn't you know it? We found the lecher a happy member of some pirate queen's personal harem, and he wouldn't hear of leaving...'

'Do you suppose, Captain, that we might go flying near the Doom? I knew a fellow once who'd sailed into one of its storms on a dare. Only man of his crew to come back, and he'd lost what little wits he had. Could predict a storm's coming to the second ever since, though. Said his teeth were telling him so, though by the time I saw him, he didn't have many of them left. But I digress...'

You wonder if you should strive to learn something in particular. He is happy enough to talk away about anything for as long as you desire, but there is a difference between interesting conversation and polite prattle.

Choose one - for now.

[] [Soul] Insist on discussing the encounter. It does him no good to evade the subject. His psyche must bear a terrible wound from your encounter with the abyssal creature beneath the Station. However improper and impolite it may be, you will force him to speak of the matter.

[] Inquire of another matter. You are not here to delve into matters he does not wish to discuss. You are more interested in the subjects he is in fact eager to speak of. There is one topic that you wonder about in particular.
-[] His proudest achievements. He's had a very successful career and life - you wonder what he considers his greatest accomplishments.
-[] His regrets. He's had an eventful career and life - you wonder what he considers his greatest regrets.
-[] His hopes for the future. He's clearly not content to let life slip by just yet - you wonder what it is that he hopes to gain from his 'one last adventure'?
-[] His opinion of his fellow officers. He is your first mate and your second-in-command. You wonder how he perceives them and if he has any advice on dealing with such a motley lot.
-[] His thoughts on Daouda and the Communards. His opinion of the World Commune and its work has been quite clear. You wonder where such antipathy comes from - beyond the obvious - and if his experiences haven't now changed his mind somewhat.
-[] His thoughts on the Republic. He is a Walloon of the southern Provinces; a component of the Republic that tend to be discontent at the best of times. You wonder how he perceives the Republic and the rule of the States General.
-[] His thoughts on the Service. He must have chosen to find employment on a ship of the Undersea Service for a reason. You wonder what drew him here and what he thinks of your organization.
-[] His thoughts on you. He's seen a little of your leadership and conduct by now. You wonder what he thinks of you and your actions in your time together.
-[] Write-in. You're curious about something else.

Captain Johannes de Vries
Condition: Fine.
Finances: 800£
Personal Skills:
+4 Sense
(perception, awareness, insight)
+2 Strange (esoteric knowledge, unearthly matters)
+2 Sharp (innovation, engineering, technology)
Aero Skills:
+1 Sky
+0 Spar
+1 Saw
Possessions:

-Service Standard-Issue Sidearm (This compact sidearm fires a kind of miniature harpoon and can operate even in high pressure underwater environments.)
-North Atlantic Station Keys (A ring of keys for the North Atlantic research station.)
-Observation Logbook (A logbook of observations for March-April-May.)
Companions: None
The Hadewijch
LZ Marinezeppelin (Large Aircraft)
Structure: 21/21 (Max: 21)
Crew: 24/24 (Max: 31)
Officers: 6/7

Evasion: DC 6+1 (Sky)=7
Attack: +0+2 (Drill)=+2

Parts:
-Flight: LZ Trifold Envelope System
-Arm: VMD Mk. 1848 Deck LMGs (Damage 1/Inaccurate 1, Anti-Crew, Battery 3, Defensive)
-Arm: Thyssen-Bahr K11 Cannons (Damage 5/Crippling, Battery 1)
-Arm: Van Rijn Scuttle Guns (Damage 4/Anti-Ship, Reliable 1, Battery 2)
-Arm: VMD Mk. 1839 Heavy Long Gun (Damage 12/Accurate 2)
-Aux: OS Mk. 1841 Water Sealing (A comprehensive system of water- and pressure-proofing to allow for underwater operations.)
-Aux: Vapor Nets [9/10] (A system for gathering valuable aether vapor residue while sailing. +1 Residue/day.)
-Aux: Experimental Laboratory (An esoteric laboratory and study for the mysteries of the cosmos. +5 to Strange actions aboard ship.)
Cargo:
-Diving Suits, x3 (Standard-grade Service diving suits and operational equipment, fit for dives down to 1,500 ft)
-Makeshift Gas Mask, x3 (A gas mask constructed out of diving suit parts.)
-VETM Electric Engine I-3 (Uninstalled Flight. Unreliable 2*, Agile 2)
-Food Supplies, 36 days worth
-Munitions, 9 combats worth

Unnamed Aircraft
Van Rijn 'Zeelander' Sea-Plane (Small Aircraft)
Structure: 6/6 (Max: 6)
Crew: 5/5 (Max: 6)

Evasion: DC 15+1 (Sky)=16
Attack: +0+2 (Drill)=+2

Parts:
-Flight: Van Rijn Vd.3 Engine (Reliable 2)
-Arm: VMD Mk. 1848 LMGs (Damage 1, Anti-Crew, Battery 1)
-Arm: VMD Mk. 1830 Air Rocket (Damage 4, Burn, Limited 2)
-Auxiliary Slot
Cargo:
-None
First Mate: Georges Hennepin (+3 Suave, +1 Scholar)
-Stalwart: Whenever the ship would suffer a Crew Check, roll a 1d6. On a 3-6, the ship returns to 1 Current Crew with no further effect.
Chief Engineer: Anneke Dhien Saragih (+1 Sharp, +1 Soul, +1 Sense)
-Studious: Choose one enemy to study in each combat, gaining +2 Evasion and +2 Attack against them for its duration.
Gunnery Officer: Eleonora Vroomen (+3 Sharp, +1 Subtle)
-Overclock: Activate during combat to gain +5 Evasion and Advantage on Sky checks, but suffer additional dice in your Structure Checks based on number of turns active. 1-4: +1d6. 5-7: +2d6. 8-11: +3d6. 12+: +4d6.
Captain of Marines: Jan Spijker (+1 Soul, +1 Strike, +1 Strange)
-Jaded: Ship gains immunity to the Terrifying weapon quality.
Flight Master: Maarten van Assen (+1 Scholar, +1 Sharp, +1 Sense)
-Vanguard: The first attack made against the ship on a turn is always made at Disadvantage.
Ship's Surgeon: Antonia Luna Traversi (+1 Strange, +1 Sharp, +1 Scholar)
-Mother of Invention: Once per combat, take an additional free Full Action.

I made a prop, yay!

[X] Inquire of another matter.
-[X] His hopes for the future.

Get to know him better and keep him satisfied.

Voting is open
Back