Horror RPGs ideas for October 2020
The Colony (371 BC):

On the shores of the Black sea, far from Old Hellas, the inhabitants of Messene Pontika have now dwelt for close a century, their isolation sparing them from unwanted attention by powers far mightier then their city. Modest but significant wealth has trickled into the city in exchange for the wheat it produce in great quantity and, a few small wars in its early years nothwithstanding, it has generally managed to live in peace with the neighbouring Cucuteni tribes. Some Hellenes have even become fond of their old legends, attributing the death of the unnatural being ever thirsty for human blood and flesh who had, according to the Cucuteni, once lived in these lands, to the Greek heroes of old. Soon, however, some will have the ill-fortune to discover that the monsters of old are not all dead...

The Border Town (166 BC):

In the middle of the Nile the island-town of Elephantine has, for long centuries now, marked the border between Egypt and Kush. As it also happen to be the main link between the worlds of the Medditerannean and of East Africa the town has often been a favoured destination for traders and merchants. Nubians, Peoples of Kemet (Native Egyptians) and Medjay have long headed to the Elephantine in the hope of making their fortunes and, in recent years, they have been joined by Hellenes, Jews, Men of Punt and Damotites. Like most living beings in these lands the peoples of Elephantine depend on the Nile. The Nile is life, the only thing that provide salvation and allowed human and animals alike to prosper while escaping the fact that the desert, the arrid, the hellish desert, would have in store for them. Soon, however, a group of men and women of Elephantine would discover that the sands of desert shelter a danger that the life-giving river alone cannot hold at bay...

The Wall (154 AD):

Antonius is emperor and the light of Rome shine brighter then it has ever before, or will ever after. At the end of the lands he has taken from the Northern Britons a mighty wall has been built. Atop of it the legions are ever vigilant as Picts and Caledonians to the north dream to force Rome back south, while the new subjects of the empire are only too eager to assist them. In the newly established town of Victor Castra a tense piece reign as the men and women of both side of the Wall trade with each other as well as with the Roman newcomers in an atmosphere of fear, mistrust and firm belief that the area will know war once more sooner or latter. Soon, however, they will discover that a far more dangerous and sinister ennemy is lurking in the dark shadows...

Never heard of it, could you provide a link? :)
Here you go.

And yes, I am unashamed to say Herc is my favourite character I ever created and that the Greengrasses did kinda become my HP Darklyns :p. I'd also definitely be interested in hearing more about Crecy should you ever feel like writing in that direction.
Understandable :p. I'm always toying with writing a fanfic about her (four books covering the opening of the Chamber of Secrets, her role as a double agent in Grindelwald's circles, and her roles in the first war against Voldemort and an AU in the second), but unfortunately I really don't have the time.

Regarding Rio, I do share your feelings. Especially, I hope that some of Crimes of Grindelwald might be salvaged in retrospect, so to speak, with events latter on in Fantastic Beasts. If I advised the peoples on it my advise/request would be to make Brazil matter, to make it an integral part of the story. Crimes of Grindelwald had its faults, even if I feel that what seem to be the overall verdict is overly harsh, but I feel one of the worst was that France was kinda an aftertought. Yeah, we got to see some sites but the culture of Wizarding France didn't really matter and the french characters were not really explored. That was a shame considering part of the attraction of the Fantastic Beasts movies is to get outside Britain and see the wider Wizarding World. Compare it to the first movie for example: the culture of Wizarding America mattered, its political life mattered, its law mattered. Jacob, Tina, Queenie, even Seraphine Picquery, were all key characters who had been shaped by the US societies, both muggle and magical. THAT is what I want for Brazil in the next movie! :)
I'm 99% sure that we will see Castelobruxo, which is the combination of all the worst stereotypes of Brazil and Latin America in general in a single location. If that crap isn't in the movie, I'll already consider it a victory. :D

I'm 99% sure that we will see Castelobruxo, which is the combination of all the worst stereotypes of Brazil and Latin America in general in a single location. If that crap isn't in the movie, I'll already consider it a victory.
That's the dilemma indeed witb the FB movies: I wish to see more of the expanded Wizarding World and was disappointed by how bland France was, but I know that the portrayal of non British places amd culture is going to be approximative and careless at best, so... maybe bettee bland than demeaning especially when it comes to the treatment of indigenous cultures?

@phil03 I second your view, Greengrass is a really interesting character and I also often toy with storylines for mine. Plus my various headcanons on Wizarding Italy of course. But little time and scattered inspiration do not lead anywhere...

I'm 99% sure that we will see Castelobruxo, which is the combination of all the worst stereotypes of Brazil and Latin America in general in a single location. If that crap isn't in the movie, I'll already consider it a victory. :D
That's the dilemma indeed witb the FB movies: I wish to see more of the expanded Wizarding World and was disappointed by how bland France was, but I know that the portrayal of non British places amd culture is going to be approximative and careless at best, so... maybe bettee bland than demeaning especially when it comes to the treatment of indigenous cultures?

@phil03 I second your view, Greengrass is a really interesting character and I also often toy with storylines for mine. Plus my various headcanons on Wizarding Italy of course. But little time and scattered inspiration do not lead anywhere...
Those are very fair points, you'd hope that you could have a portrayal of the rest of the Wizarding World that is both compelling and respectfull but if it can't be the latter is obviously more important then the latter. I would argue the stuff about Magical America tend to indicate it is possible as, appart from the rather disrespectfull take on Navajo beliefs, that honestly don't really affect the core of the Ilvermorny-MACUSA info we get now that I think about it which make it all the more puzzling as to why it was included in the first place, it was both.

I guess hopefull, rather then optimistic, would characterise how I feel about what worldbuilding is to come from the other Fantastic Beasts on the rest of the Wizarding World (obviously the less input Rowling herself has on it the better at this point).

And I would definitely like to see more of Eleanor too :) I do understand the obstacles caused by lack of time tough, as in many ways finally putting fingers to keyboard regarding what I imagined would be Hercules' role in latter events is very much a pandemic project, in that the time I spent doing is time I would spend on my social life is COVID had not damaged it :(

I think a whole book would be a bit much for me but I do have ideas for a serie of scenes that would follow him through life, from Aeneas being recognised as a squib to his death sometimes latter then when we are in real life. I also have ideas to worldbuild on the Greengrasses as a whole, especially on Ulysses ''The Great'' and his fight against Loxias, alongside some Wizarding Canada stuff :)

Hercules Greengrass Bio: Part I, Under Grindelwald's Shadow
Alright, I decided to cut it in two since it really started to spiral out of control :p Next one will cover the interwar period and deal with Hercules' role in the two British Wizarding Wars.

(Will add some images latter as that part of SV is being wonky right now for some reasons)

A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part I, Under Grindelwald's Shadow
The Biographical Dictionary of Wizarding Britain, Thirty Seventh Edition, 2058

Born on March 3, 1925 at his familly manor of Foxridge Hercules Greengrass began his life at the very top of Wizarding Britain's society. While the House of Greengrass, as the Greengrass familly was know in those days, had endured something of a small eclipse during the 19th century its prestige and wealth had remained great. Moreover, in 1925 Hercules's father, Achilles Greengrass had already begun to climb the ladder of the Ministry and build a power bloc that whent far beyond the usual familly clientele. Added to the acquisition of the well garnished Carrick familly vault (whether a politically advantageous union quickly developed into a love match or if a love match happened to be politically advantageous union is unclear when it came to Arbela Carrick and Achilles Greengrass) began the process that would lead the Greengrass familly to heights not seen since the days of Ulysses ''The Great'' in the 18th century. As a second son, after his twin brother Aneas, Herculess could expect to enjoy the familly's wealth, power and prestige without having to bear the responsabilities the customs of the time among powerfull famillies gave to their ''heads''.

That prospect never came to pass, however, as Aneas was a squib and Hercules became the Heir, with everything coming with it. By all accounts of the time he seemed to have stepped in his new shoes easily enough and to have taken exceptionaly quickly to his political tutoring. Below the surface, however, the lost of his brother and best friend, proved to be the great tragedy of his childhood and was made only worse by the fact that the social mores of the old pureblood families of the time forbade him to express his grief. Many of the traits that would characterise him latter in life with all their contradictions might have been formed during these difficult moments. A never broken adhesion for the the letter, if not the spirit, of the rules of his social class, at least in public and as long as they remained all powerfull combined with a complete willingness to drop them as soon as they started to loose their influence. A wizard determinated to appear very much the perfect Wizarding Patrician that, in spite of of the importance held by Blood Purity for most in his class, was also a Blood traitor since childhood, altough he only admited to himself latter in life. A man extremely proud of his lignenage who was also a believer in meritocracy and who only loved a shoopkeers's daughter. A wizard loving the history of his society as much as any and holding tight to it and yet also a firm believer in the humanity of muggles who was famous for his hate for both Grindelwald and Riddle. A person often reluctant to share his true toughts in public and often guarded during his reactions with others but whose guard where completely dropped the second he was among a select few, his future wife Astoria Montague (1) and his cousin Tiberius McLaghen first among them. A proud member of the Greengrass familly who was yet eager to make a first name for himself. These traits would all play their parts in his latter actions, and therefore contribute to determine the course of the events in which he took part.

While his bloodline and social status would have been enough to ensure that many would have looked up to him regardless of his first actions at the school Hercules nonetheless rather quickly made himself well know as a force of his own. Hercules was shorted in Ravenclaw, to the surprise of many (his father included) who had rather seen in silver and green. By all accounts he embraced his house with gusto. A brilliant student, competing only with his future wife and his rival Sullivan Travers for the title of best student of a house known for its intelectual prowesses, he gained the respect of many of his housemates while his tendencies to use his familly's influence to shield Ravenclaw muggleborns and its galleons to ensure that the poorer member of his houses could enjoy Hogsmeade as much as any other, also didn't hurt in that regard. As a result, and due to his general charisma and evident pride in his house, Hercules soon find himself designated as a kind of unnoficial leader by the Ravenclaws of his age, a role he enjoyed alongside his then friend, Astoria Montague. Both convinced Sphinxes and fiercely anti-Grindelwaldites they used their influence over their housemates to see those the suspected of sympathy for the Dark Wizard ostracised by their fellow Ravenclaws. As the war was only gathering pace and they enjoyed the support of the teachers they succeeded in doing so. Beloved by the Head of Ravenclaw of the time, Herbert Berry, and surrounded by a group of housemates who had all shown themselves gifted in one way or another their influence among their house only grew. As Hercules and Astoria were finding their footing as newly made prefects Ravenclaw was already well on its way to become a bastion of moderate politics, and would remain so for several decades. Lord Ravenclaw, as he was already nicknamed by his fellow students, was an ubiquitous figure in the Hogwarts of his days. Many historians have attempted to entangle where Hercules political toughts and actions ended and where Astoria's began when the two where still alive, without much success.

Hercules years inside the venerable school also saw him crosspath with numerous other personalities who would have a profound impact on subsequent events in Wizarding Britain, three of them needing to be discussed further here: Sullivan Travers, Bathilda Bagshot and Albus Dumbledore. By all accounts the future theorician of much of the Death Eater's doctrine and the ennemy of both Grindelwald and Riddle took an immediate dislike to each other, when they meet during their childhoods. Their years at Hogwarts only saw their antipathy grow, first because of their academic rivalry but latter through an increasingly political tug of war. For Travers, archtraditionalist fearfull of the growing influence of muggle culture on its Wizarding counterpart Hercules was a reformist in moderate clothing, a Wizard who, in apperance might not fully embrace the changes Travers so feared but whose acceptance of them contributed to the very changes he so feared and a violent figure, willing to destroy by magical might all those who opposed him like he advocated Grindelwald and his supporters should be. For Greengrass, on the other hand, Travers was a Grindelwaldite sympathiser and an extremist at hearth. A Wizard who fully embraced Wizarding supremacy and whose pleas for peace among the magical kind and denial of any ill-will toward Muggleborns where, even if sincere which Hercules doubted, of no consequences as his writings were essentially tailor fitted to provide an ideological framework for a violent attempt to install a particularly extremist variant of Pureblood supremacy. While latter days historians generally believe that Travers was, indeed, sincere and his pacifism and, oddly enough, rather open minded by the standard of his time and class toward muggleborns latter events would prove Hercules tragically correct when he stated that ''Travers' words are gonna light a pire more terrible then a thousand of those the muggles had in store for us in the old days!''

Bathilda Bagshot had already enjoyed many years as Britain's most celebrated magical historian before she and Hercules crossed path. Always on the lockout for young historiographical talents she quickly became interested in the prospects of the young Greengrass heir, all the more so when, as a mere fifteen years old, some of his student's research allowed her to uncover the real identity of the wizard Ezkredis. For the rest of his life, with the exceptions of the years he spent in the turmoil of war, he regularly published articles on the history of his world and, while other events prevented him from spending most of his time on such intelectual pursuits before his last years he nevertheless never lost touch with them. Last but not least, the legendary headmaster played an important role in Hercules' life as, while not as close with Greengrass then with a Scamander or a Potter, the headmaster appeared to have held him in great esteem, approaching him as a future member of the ''Banes of Grindie'' as soon as his third year and teaching him martial spells more advanced then what the vast majority of the school would ever cast. Hercules' famous propheciency in manipuling air by magical means most likely began to be acquired under the Greatest Wizard since Merlin while, after Dumbledore's death, Elphias Doge stated that they're was no student in those years Albus Dumbledore desired more fervently to turn to reformist politics. This close relationship, further built upon during the last years of the Global Wizarding War only make the breach between the two Wizards that appeared in 1946 all the more puzzling (2). Whatever might have caused it proved to be durable as, in spite of Dumbledore's numerous attempts at reconciliations, they only made peace when the Gryffindor had mere weeks to live.

Of course, no discussion of Hercules' years in Hogwarts can be complete without mentionning the First Opening of the Chamber of Secrets. A member of the fabled Thirteens of the Year of the Snake, those prefects who all played some role in the latter events of which the opening of the Chamber was a portent, he played a key role in the events of the year. When, following the first petrifications, some students dared to publicly rejoice he and Astoria stamped all such talk inside Ravenclaw with all the influence they had and, in the word of one of their housemates, ''with all the fury of angry trolls!'' Following the end of the crisis he also distinguished himself as the only person in a position of influence in Hogwarts, asside from Dumbledore himself, to speak openly, in front of Ministry officials, against the official story, pointing out that Acromutenla had no preferences for muggleborns and that a dangerous criminal might still be at large. In spite of stellar grades in his NEWTS his last months at Hogwarts therefore proved rather frustrating and leaving might have even been a relief had he not been about to set up for Europe and war.

As all parties involved have sworn unbreakable vows and the relevant documents remain under the sceal of secrecy it is impossible to say what activities did his Hercules, his then newlywed wife and other Wizards and Witches of confidence he elected to bring with him to Greece perform during the second half of 1943 as part of Operation Persephone (3). There can be no doubt, however, that Minister Spencer-Moon was correct when he stated that ''The Wizarding World as a whole owe M. Greengrass, and those who helped him in that endavour, a great debt!'' Had it not been the case the role played by persons as young as Hercules and Astoria Greengrass in latter events would not have been possible. Whatever might have transpired during this most secret of mission it ended before the ''Christmas of Niké'' of 1943, when the whole of Wizarding Greece erupted in rebelion against Gellert Grindelwald and ejected its supporters from the country in one bloody night. Following their victory the no-longer exile Greek ministry and the and the local resistance forces quarelled as to how the Hellenic Magical Defense Council, a council of twelve Wizard and Witches, charged to lead the defense of Wizarding Greece for the imminent counterattack the dark wizard was sure to launch, was to be filled. Ten of the twelve planned seats were filled rather quickly but no other greek wizard or witches could gain general assents. It is was this deadlock that lead them to turn their gaze toward the British. The Greengrasses and their ''Hunters'', as those engaged in Persephone were know, had done much to help make the Christmas uprising a success and therefore Hercules and Astoria's appointments were accepted by all as a good solution to the gridlock.

A long and gruesome series of clases among the mountains of Thessaly would ensure that Hellas would remain free from Nurmengard's clutches, but at a terrrible cost for a country who had already suffered from the Global Wizarding War more then most. Thus, when appeals came from further north, when wizards, witches and other magical beings of the rest of the Balkans began to flood Greece with messages asking for help to free themselves just like they had done, most where reluctant to do much in response and prefered to adopt a defensive posture while they rebuilded their country. Nonetheless, even those inhabitants of Wizarding Greece who, in their hearts of hearts, would have rather stay put agreed that, for political reasons if nothing else, something did indeed need to be done. Thus, a decision was made to give the two youngsters, who had eagerly requested it, the mission to lead to lead their ''Hunters''and those more motived denizens of Wizarding Greece to give it a shot. When that decision was made by the more experienced members of the Hellenic Magical Defense Council, for completely understandable if not well-advised reasons, they fully expected to see them back in a few days, with perhaps a few refugees in tow. For as small an investment as possible as possible honor would be satisfied and solidarity demonstrated.

What followed instead was one of the most extraordinary campaign ever conducted in the name of the International Wizarding Confederacy, as Grindelwald's control of the Balkans quickly crumbled. Seemingly always four or five steps above their enemies the young couple also benefited from the rivalries and divisions of Grindewald's governors in the area, the inhability of the latter to act in concert accentued by a well orchestrated intoxication campaign playing on their fears of each other and of their plots. Moving north the once small army only grew, recruiting from the magical communities it freed. First they came to Macedonia, Albania and Serbia, then they moved to Serbia and Wallachia before reaching Transylvannia and Bosnia. Many, both at the time and since, noted the uncanny resemblance with Grindelwald's lightening victories in the early years of the war. As Herpo's heir's doom was approaching the table had, at last, being truly turned. Everywhere the Azure Foxes went they were accompagnied by their mighty war cry: ''FOR FREEDOM AND FOR OUR WORLD!'', who never failed to strike fear in the hearts of their ennemies. Such victories could not fail to bring fame to their authors, even they had not benefited from an eloquent plume to write their praise.

As luck would have it, however, they did benefit from the presence of such an individual: Barnabas Cuffe, future editor of the Daily Prophet and former Slytherin prefect who had served alongside Hercules and Astoria during the First Opening of the Chamber. Beginning his journalistic career as a war correspondant it was he who narated the exploits of the ''Azure Foxes'', named after the badges crafted after the Greengrass familly sigil and the color of Ravenclaw, made to allow them to recognise each other, to the Wizarding World. Under his plume Hercules and Astoria Greengrass became ''The Lord of Battles and his Lady of Victories'', war heroes who could, in every way, count among the greatests produced by Wizarding Britain. That the Sphinxes embraced them was natural and that more purist figure did as well was barely more surprising, for, alongside the Leaches, Scamanders and even Dumbledores they represented a far more reassuring type of war heroes, even if they did not embrace their hatred.

More curious at first glance was the embrace they received from many reformists, a very large portion of which being made of Wizards and Witches with significant ties to the Muggle World, especially considering other proeminent figures of the British war effort had far more similar backgrounds to theirs and politics more aligned to theirs. To a large extent such a state of affair can be explained by how the depiction of the couple by Cuffe borrowed much from muggle fairytales, of which he heard from some muggleborn fellow students. Under Cuffe's plume Hercules was attributed tropes often given to the archetypal noble prince of these stories: noble, heir to a celebrated lignenage and encouraged to find a partner of a similar rank but finding none who could gain his favour. Astoria, for her part, was given many attributes often given to the female lead of such stories: a young women of a lower status but who nonetheless was loved by the noble prince thanks to her inteligence, beauty and character and who eventually gained the acceptance of his family. That instead of immediately founding a familly they opted to wreak terror on Grindelwald's lackeys was often considered a rather appropriate adaption of these old muggle stories to the current circumstances.

The string of easy victories was soon to end for the Azure Foxes, however, as the von Krauz siblins where sent to the region by their master to stabilise the situation. Aemelia and Armenia von Krauz had carved for themselves reputations of utter infamy throughout the Wizarding World, becoming known respectively as the Cackling Grim and as the Cruel Reaper. Of the same generation then the Greengrasses, and in many regards the most terrible products of a Grindelwald-dominated Durmstrang, they engaged in battle seven times against the liberators of the Balkans. Three times the Azure Foxes had to retreat, as it proved the only way to avoid being incinerated by Fiendiefire, wripped appart by inferi or see their very skins rot quickly under their eyes. The von Krauzes and their forces also suffered the same three times, however, as they sought to avoid an air who had suddenly turned into blades wripping them appart, a rain of molten lava falling on them or, what had appeared to be normal trees but where in fact Whomping Willows. The outcome of this dreadfull and deadly game was decided by a seventh and last clash, near the magical settlement of Eztrevangar. Having heard that the Azure Foxes had found shelter there the von Krauzes attacked it hoping to surprise them. They found the town deserted, except for hordes of Quintaped! The dark wizards and witches who managed to escape proved to be relatively easy pickings when their ennemies fell upon them instants latter. After that victory many expected the Azure Foxes to finish clean up the Balkans from the last pockets of Grindelwadite resistance still standing in the region. Faith proved to have other plans, however.

Fed up by the ever increasing repression many Hungarian wizards and witches resolved to rise against Grindelwald and break their shackles. Betrayed by one of their own their plot to do so failed, but they nonetheless managed to find shelter in one of the local branches of Gringotts, deserted as the globlins working there had fled to avoid emprisonned but nonetheless strongly warded, and were besieged there by Grindelwald himself. As Leach and his Boggarts where among those traped there he ensured that a message was sent to his contacts asking for help. When he did so it was, by his own admission, with Newton and Porpentina Scamander in mind, in the hope they could make their way from the northern reaches of Italy to bring them help. In spite of their best efforts they did no manage to do so but all was not lost for the call was also heard by the Azure Foxes. By muggle means, to avoid detections, tough with their strenght enhanced by magic, a large fraction of them managed to make their way to Hungary unnoticed. There they launched a devastating assault on the backs of the bessieger just as they attempted to pierce the defenses of Gringots' Hungarian headquarters. There Hercules crossed wands with Herpo's heir himself, surviving long enough to allow the numerical superiority of its friends, and of the formerly bessieged charging forth to help their rescuers, to force the dark wizard to withdraw. While he would latter freely admit that he had no hope of victory the sheer fact that he lasted as long as he did remain a testament to his abilities as a duelist. It was also on that day that the two most remarkable students Ravenclaw had during the 20th century met and exchanged pleasantry for the first time. Surrounded by ruins the muggleborn and the pureblood patrician shook hands, the beginning of a relationship who, in spite of everything that was to come, always remained marked by mutual respect and the scene of a painting which remain in proeminent place in the Ravenclaw common room. In the next weeks, with a thirst for ambition worth that of any Gryffindor and with a sense of ambition worth that of any Slytherin, plans began to be made for an offensive which, with some luck, would only end in Nurmengard itself. Then, as it so often did in those years, tragedy immediately followed triumph.

On March 1, 1945 a series of powerfull explosions rocked several ministries and seats of magical government. Mere hours had to pass before Grindelwald and his ilk claimed credit for the deed. Increasingly desperate as the jaws of defeat where closing around them, the Army of Truth, as the supporters of the Dark Wizard called themselves, had resorted to tactics it had avoided embracing before. With the help of some local supporters it had infiltrated agents in seats of government and left powerfull explosive concoctions before leaving in a hurry. Electra Greengrass, second cousin of Hercules and object of his hate, had played a key part in the attack against the British Ministry. Providentially absent from his office on that day, Spencer-Moon survived but many of his colleagues did not have that chance. At the head of the list was Achilles Greengrass, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, defacto number two of the current administration and Hercules' father. Most expected the newlymade ''Lord Greengrass'', as the social convention of the time named Hercules as head of such an influential familly, to erupt in anger and in sadness. To their surprise, however, he showed little emotion during those terrible days, simply plunging ever deeper in his responsabilities. Only several months latter, secure, victorious and surrounded by his loved ones in Foxridge did Hercules suddenly collapsed and sobbed, sobbed and sobbed. It was well that Lord Greengrass had shown himself capable of controling even extreme emotion, for it was to him and and Nobby Leach that was given the most dreadfull task of first discovering the most terrible crime commited by Grindelwald and his lackeys.

Ostrevenburg had been a mere muggle village until, in the 1930s, its inhabitants had been scared off or worse by the Army of Truth. There many non-human magical beings were emprisoned and worked to death or forced to be subjects of horrific and depraved magical experiments. By the admission of Grindelwald himself only wizards and witches were to enjoy the gift of magic and all other sentient beings posessing it where to suffer such a faith. As the tide of the war turned against Grindelwald and his ilk young children from his the families of their open joined them and where gruesomly punished when they manifested their magical abilities, in the hope of turning them into Obscurus that could be used for martial purposes. Ostrevenburg was not the first of such camps liberated but it was the first be liberated before, for one reasons or another, the torturers guarding them had the time to conceal their deeds. It was only with the most persistent of efforts and the most firm of attitudes that the some of the wizards and witches having accompagnied Leach and Hercules in that particular expedition where dissuaded to slaughter the butchers and torturers they had just made prisonners.

Albus Dumbledre had done much to defeat Grindelwald but, for reasons that are still disputed to this day, he had always refrained from confronting him head on. Upon hearing from Ostrevenburg he found he could no longer stand asside, however. A challenge was issued and seven witnesses, from all houses and blood status, invited. Hercules Greengrass and Nobby Leach therefore found themselves representing Ravenclaw to this most fabled of duel and Hercules witnessed the final downfall of the wizard who had so often haunted his nightmare. A few weeks latter the heroes of the war found themselves back Hogwarts' grounds where, in a most splendid ceremony, Spencer-Moon praised them and gave them the decorations their deeds had entitled them to. As he passed the Order of Merlin First Class around Hercules' neck the Minister for Magic was heard that Achiles Greengrass must have been a happy man indeed, for having such a son. Some months latter, exactly months after the night who followed the Duel of the Century, Astoria Greengrass gave birth to a daughter, Niké Greengrass, named after the Greek divine personification of victory.

(1) I tought subtlety was pretty much superfluous at this point and that in-universe it would make sense for the cannonical Astoria to be named after he grandmother so I changed Artoria's name to Astoria.
(2) Basically during a visit to Bathilda Hercules and Astoria accidently came accross information on Dumbledore's former relationship with Grindelwald. Unsurprisingly they didn't take it very well. For Bathilda's sake, if nothing else, they agreed to swear unbreakable vows to not speak on it but it left their relationship with Dumbledore in ruins.
(3) Grindelwald and co where playing with the idea of using Herpo the Foul's horcrux to resurect him, something that the IWC obviously wanted to avoid at all costs. The issue was, Grindelwald didn't know that his ennemies knew about it, and that ignorance was their greatest advantage, so they couldn't really send the A team to Greece, so to speak. As a result the different ministries began to look for somebody well equiped in magical and historical knowledge while also unknown to lead a mission to destroy Herpo's horcrux. At some point during those conversations somebody whent ''hey Achilles, don't you have a son who is something of an historiographical prodigy and who also learned some nasty tricks from Dumbledore? Seem like a good match!''

Last edited:
Hercules Greengrass Bio: Part II, The Time of Illusions
A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part II, The Time of Illusions

Few wizards entered political life with seemingly more cards to play then Hercules Greengrass when he succeded his father in the Wizengamot (a formality) and at the Hogwarts Board of Governor (far less so). A celebrated war hero, the son of a powerfull figure whose power bloc he inherited and who died a martyr death, the husban of a similarly popular and politically astute witch who was all to willing to assist him he also benefited from a favourable political environment for the Sphinxes.

Following the end of the war wide swathes of Wizarding Britain recognised that their world had changed because of the war, and that it had done so in a manner that could not be reversed without great tragedies. In such an atmosphere the traditionalists appeared foolish and rather disconnected with the new state of the Wizarding World, all the more so after the majority of them had spend the last decade camped in a neutrality widely considered morally unnaceptable. The Purism to which most of them held to various degree was beginning to be seen for the repugnant belief it was, especially by veterans of the conflict who had often fought side by side with muggleborns and other magical beings, as well as against extremist purists. Two events, more then any others, showed the decline of traditionalism and the growing isolation of its supporters at this juncture of the history of Wizarding Britain. The first was the election to the Wizengamot that followed the death of Torquil Travers, the politician having succombed to injuries sustained during the attack on the ministry two years before. Traditions and norms at the time dictated that it was his only son, none other then Sullivan Travers. Alarmed by the suspicions of Grindelwaldite sympathies often attached to the intelectual many quickly rose to declare his candidacy unnaceptable. Had the traditionalists taken them seriously a compromise might have been reached and another figure sympathetic to their beliefs might have been elected but, convinced that they wouldn't dare, they proceeded to push Travers' candidacy. Once called, however, the bluf revealed itself to not be a bluf and, in what must have seemed like a final triumph over his school days rival, Hercules succeeded in getting Astoria elected to the seat.

The second is know today as the Affair of the Two Weddings: anxious to see their old allies the Rosiers be fully re-integrated by Wizarding Britain's high society the Blacks aranged the wedding of Cygnus Black and Druella Rosier, in the hope of forcing many to attend and therefore implicitely ratify that reintegration. Had nothing else interfered the gamble might have paid off but it was also during this period that was announced the engagement of Cedrella Black and Septimus Weasley, both war heroes in their own right, leading to the former being blasted from the Black familly three. The two weddings and what they seemingly indicated (that in the Black's eyes being suspected of Grindelwaldism was forgivable while reformist beliefs were not) enraged many. Druella and Cygnus' wedding was sparsely attended while Cedrella and Septimus' had a truly formidable list of guests. Partly in retaliation the Wizengamot voted the Law of Pensions, under this seemingly innocuous name the bill insituted a special tax to fund pensions for the widows, widowers and orphans of war deads that the wealthiest familly of Wizarding Britain had to pay, unless a sufficient number of their members had participated to the war efforts, in practice exempting powerfull families of moderate and reformist leanings.

At first glance the outlook for reformists was far brighter, and in several respects it truly was. Unlike the traditionalists they left the war standing tall, the glory of victory shining around them. They could also take comfort in the fact that most of Wizarding Britain did indeed embrace the idea of a more modern society, and wished for further changes to ensure that it came about. Unfortunately for them, many of these same wizards and witches also yearned for many quiet years, changes yes but gradual changes, or at least too gradual for the tastes of many phoenixes and sphinxes. As a result their wartime growth came to a halt, and was even reversed to some small degrees. In 1948, in spite of his enormous popularity, Spencer-Moon found his hope for re-election dashed and the Sphinx Willemina Tuft elected in his stead. In the days following the election Porpentina Scamander reportedly resumed the situation rather well with an allusion to a bout of muggle poetry: ''The center is in fact doing rather well!''

While his youth prevented him from occupying a key post inside the ministry Hercules' influence was nonetheless not to be underestimated. The heirs to the Slughorn and Crouch fortunes and influence were both minors in 1948, the previous generation having perished in the attack at the ministry. Bartolomeow Crouch Sr. himself would turn 17 a year latter but, first best friend and then boyfriend of Hercules' younger sister Calliope, he had come to regard him as an older brother, as somebody to look up to. Among the great famillies of the Sphinxes Hercules and Astoria stood alone, the popularity of Hercules' other younger sibling, Ulysses, as a quidditch star only making the Greengrass star shine even brighter. While there is no doubt that Sullivan Travers greatly exagerated when he attributed Hercules' willingness to let his courtesy title disapear because of social changes because ''a wizard won't care whether he is named lord or not when he is king in fact!'' there is no doubt that he and Astoria were surrounded by marks of respect usually reserved to the Blacks and that Foxridges was quickly eclipsing Grimmaud Place during this period.

For traditionalists making their way to the manor in the Pennines the experience often proved to be disconcerting. While much of what they expected to see from magical aristocrats could quickly be found several touches to the scenes they witnessed tended to show that the Greengrasses were flounting the old norms more and more openly. Yes, portraits of Slytherin and artifacts in silver and emeralds could still be seen honoring the ties between the House of Greengrass and Salazar's house but they now had to rival similar mementos of Hercules' Carrick ancestry and of Gryffindor while both were clearly eclipsed by the azure blue, the Opales and the Bronze that could be seen. Yes, the Greengrasses' old house elf Chryseus was still there, faithfully serving the familly, but having accompagnied his master to Europe and met American House Elves there he had expressed the desire to do so as a paid employee. Hercules had assented. Yes, magnificent receptions were still held at Foxridges, during which the hosts were always impecably dressed and old names well represented. Far from the old wizarding robes favoured by traditionalists, however, the Greengrasses instead elected to go for the new fashion, inspired by the capes worn by the fighters of the Global Wizarding War, who had themselves been inspired by the atire prized by the muggle upper class. Moreover, alongside the old names one could often find muggleborns which the couple had known had school and/or during the war and, during the wanning moments of those parties, Hercules could often be found smoking a cigarete, a bad habit he had acquired during his time on the continent and whom traditionalists frequently denounced as a muggle habit.

Hercules greatest sin in the eyes of most traditionalists of the time resided elsewhere however, as he cheerfully took advantage of Aneas Greengrass' growing role as an intermediary between the two governments to break the taboo usually surrounding squib relatives of old famillies. Soon the two brothers found themselves exchanging a correspondence that was by no means purely professional and rumours of discrete but frequent mutual visits began to make the rounds. At the end it proved to matter little, however, as such actions were only taken with the assurance of impunity. When, during a reception at Grimaud Place, an inebriated Orion Black confronted him Hercules looked at the Black like, in the words of some witnesses, he was ''an utterly inferior life form'' and with a cold voice asked him what he planned to do about it. Suddenly sobered Orion Black beated an hasty retreat.

In latter years Hercules would describe the period as the happiest of his life, altough he would add a ''by no little means because of my illusions''. The power of the Sphinxes seemed absolute, the Greengrasses well on their way to become the paramount familly of Wizarding Britain and his familly life destined for quiet happiness. To Niké Greengrass succeeded Perseus in 1949 as well as the twins Hector and Andromache in 1953. As Foxridge resonated with the laughter and games of his new familly, often accompagnied by the children of his McLaghen cousins, while both Calliope and Ulysses seemed to have found their path in life and, to his best knowledge at the time, the only member of his extended familly espousing extremist beliefs was dead, the sky must have seemed rather cloudless. In 1958 England won the Quidditch World Cup, with Ulysses Greengrass named player of the tournament. The magnificent feast that followed at Foxridge, attended by personalities of all opinions and blood statuses and often coined the Party of Century, has taken a special place in the history books: the last night of the period of peace, prosperity and of Sphinx domination who had followed the downfall of Grindelwald and the beginning of the slide downward, toward the horrors of the First Wizarding War.

Behind the scenes, and unknown to most, tensions had already began to rise years before that and the base of the Sphinxes' strenght were far weaker then most realised. As the Global Wizarding War receeded further and further in memories the desire of many for quietness above all things began to diminish and many began to demand larger and faster changes to Wizarding Britain's society, scandalising traditionalists who had already began to grow increasingly angry and fearfull after the changes that had already come. Many become increasingly radical and violent in their rethoric during those years, as the Dragons began to loose supporters to the Basilisks and Tome Riddle found his message warmly welcomed in more and more corners.

At the end, however, it was a policy whom latter events would prove tragically right that would began the decline in power of the Sphinxes and of the Greengrass family. Having faced many Dementors having rallied Grindelwald and seen first hand at Ostrevenburg what they were capable of both Hercules and Astoria had come to the conclusion that they needed to be remove from Azkaban and, in 1958, they changed that the moment had come. In that regard they gravely misjudged the mood of the public, however, as the idea soon met with firm, widespread and visceral resistance from all corners of Wizarding Britain, ensured that the projected change would not come to pass. Worse, while the attempted reform was being rejected Headmaster Dippet first faced the health problems that would, at last, end his academic career. As a result the ministry was approached and asked to confirm Dumbledore as his eventual successor, an eventuality the Greengrasses strongly opposed due to their conflict with the legendary professor and, as they could not muster a good reason to oppose the nomination of such an evidently qualified candidate their attempts not only failed but backfired. Seemingly triumphant only a few months ago the Sphinxes were already severely weakened and divided when the popular Wilhemina Tuft suddenly died from an alergic reaction. Her popularity was enough to ensure that her son and fellow Sphinx, Ignatius, would succeed her but the later's heratic behaviour as minister ensured that he would quickly be deposed. As 1962 and a new election for the post of Minister of Magic was around the corner Hercules announced his candidacy, more by duty then by ambition for few gave the Sphinxes any chance to prevail.

As the campaign got underway the liberator of the magical communities of the Balkans was firmly in third place behind Abraxas Malfoy, candidate of the traditionalists, and Norbert ''Nobby'' Leach, a war hero of even greater renown then Hercules as well as the candidate of the reformists and, a fact of no small political importance, a man seeking to be the first muggleborn to occupy the post. As Leach was considered by most to be the clear frontrunner most of his advisor were seeing Malfoy as the main threat, the only wizard who could truly prevent Leach from making history. The Sphinxes and their supporters were generally seen as not worth much worry, due to their current state of weakness. Only one witch among their ranks disagree: Eleanor Colville. The famous potion mistress had served as a prefect alongside Greengrass' side during the first opening of the Chamber of Secrets and had therefore witnessed first hand his political acumen and his ability to gain the respect, and even affection, of wizards and witches of background vastly different from his. Her voice was drowned by others, however.

At first the campaign followed its expected course: Leach in front, Malfoy second and Greengrass in third. Soon, however, events began to take an unexpected course: the fall from grace of the Sphinxes had removed the curtain that had hidden the worrisome developments of the 50s to most of Wizarding Britain, most particularly the growing extremism of many Purists and, helped by the evident hatred Malfoy and Leach had for each other for both political and personal reasons, they not only came to the light of day during the campaign but ratched up. Malfoy's supporters began to attack Leach's, or wizards and witches they took as such. As they defended themselves brawls began to erupt in all corners of Wizarding Britain. Suddenly, the Sphinxes began to appear like a safe heaven, the only way to put pandora back in her box, and Hercules' campaign rose from the dead. Worried by his rise in popularity, Malfoy tasked Sullivan Travers with writing a series of article attacking Hercules' candidacy. The manouver backfired in spectacular fashion, both because of Travers' inhability to appear likeable to most of Wizarding Britain and because Greengrass countattacked with a series of speeces bringing back to the table the attitude of many traditionalists during the war and their willingness to associate with those strongly suspected of Grindelwaldites sympathies as well as calling on all veterans and their familly to fight Malfoy's campaign. Soon the traditionalist bid for the Ministry layed in shamble, Hercules had climbed to the second place and had a powerfull wind blowing in his sail. An attempt by the Leach campaign to describe him as incapable to understand the challenges of the common wizard due to his origin did not yield better result, as it reminded to the public the sympathy they had felt for him after the tragic death of his father. Moreover, Astoria's role as his premier campaign surrogate and her own relatively humble origins did much to blunt whatever strenght the attack might have.

The last weeks of the campaign were have gone down to history as the Dance of Raven, for both the two main candidates as well as their main advisors had been Ravenclaw students, Colville's prescient advise having lead Nobby Leach to trust her above all others regarding such matters. All over Britain wizards and witches who had been housemates of Hercules spoke publicly and positively of his leadership, in a manoeuver calculated to hinder Leach's campaigns as much as possible emphasis was put on the protection he worked to provide to muggleborn Ravenclaws, his anger toward those who had rejoiced at the opening of the Chamber of Secrets and the compassion he had shown toward poorer housemates. Again and again the message of the Greengrass campaign resonated all over the country. ''Vote for Hercules Greengrass, a wizard who cares about both justice and the wizarding ways! Vote for Hercules Greengrass, both the wearer of a reassuring surname and a wizard of the people!'' While the political duel between the two wizards grew heated they both did what they could to restrain those in their campaigns who wanted to depict their opponent as simply another aristocratic brat seeking to avoid seeing his privilegied position challenged and as a grown man willing to risk plunging the country into civil war to avenge the frustration of his youth, respectively. Nonetheless, such accusations were indeed uttered and contributed to the achromonious atmosphere of the last days of the campaign.

To this day historians continue to debate whether the Greengrass campaign was growing until the very last moment of the campaign, and Leach's was only saved by the sound of the bell, or whether its momentum had already stop. What cannot be denied, however, is that Leach prevailed at the conclusion of an unexpectedly close race. The consequences of Leach's victory did wait long to make themselves felt. Refusing to serve under a muggleborn Purist either resigned in mass from the ministry or sabotaged its work as much as they could, while often openly inciting the wider Wizarding society to disobedience. Bloody incidents began to rise in number as purist extremists multiplied attacks against those they deemed unworthy of magic. Under Hercules' influence the moderates, for their part, continued to oppose Leach when they disagreed with his policies but did so by usual means. No appeal to disobedience was uttered, no statement according to which Leach was not legitimate because of his blood status came to be, no resignations were made and no sabotage was commited. Why Hercules Greengrass proved far less scating against the actions of the Purists toward Leach in public then testimonies of the time stated he was in private also remain a subject of debate. Charitable interpretations states that he mainly feared to make an already situation even worse while more critical ones prefer to believe that he was instead still hoping to rally some traditionalists to a future bid for the ministry and others believe that both preocupations might have played their part. Be that as it may, events would soon see him change his tune soon enough.

In 1968, taken by a sudden illness, Nobby Leach resigned as Minister for Magic. A few days latter he was already on his deathbead and Hercules was summoned to the Leach residence before it was too late. There the former leader of the Boggarts bidded him to come to his bedside and announced that he had been poisoned and, rightfully as latter events would show, that the same wizards and witches who were responsible for his death would try to take power by violence. With a feeble voice he implored Hercules to fight them, like they had fought together against Grindelwald, and defeat them. Hercules swore. As a former Minister for Magic Leach's funerals gathered much of the political class. Several eminent wizards and witches were selected to pronounce his eulogy, Hercules Greengrass was one of them. When he stepped onto the platform he probably still intended to read the rather tame speech he had in his pocket but something stopped him: in the back rows he noticed several well know purists laughing, evidently drunk, and mocking the disease. Several of those presents who had been at Hogwarts with him noted that, upon seeing them, Greengrass had the same expression of raw, cold anger then he had upon hearing some mocking those who had been petrified. Slowly pulling the speech from his pocket het setted on fire and proceeded to attack all those who had refused to accept Leach as minister despite him having gotten the job legally, once more linking their attitude with the one they had shown during the war, and, in a transparent allusion, stating that ''only morally bankrupt witches or wizards would go to such extremity to rid themselves of a political rival!'' before endorsing Eugenia Jenkins, equalitarian minded candidate, as the next Minister for Magic. After a moment of silence moderates and reformists present got up and applauded as one, essentially ensuring Jenkins' victory.

By all accounts the first months of her time in office were a time of sweeping changes, as reform after reform were ennacted. The lack of violent incident or other form of extra legal resistance, caused by the greater coordination of those willing to engage in such acts as they were now firmly under Riddle's control, created a sense of false calm in Wizarding Britain. The Squib Rights Marches shatered that illusion; describing their inception, goals, course and results would be beyond our purpose. For us it is sufficient to say that the Pureblood Riots who were launched against the marches proved to be the first instance of large scale, sustained violence in Wizarding Britain since 150 years. At a gathering of many leading figures of the ministry Hercules shocked most of those in attendance by calmly asking to put at the head of the Auror Office and requesting the authorisation to break the riots by all means necessary. Following the gasps who immediately ensued he explained that, regardless of one's oppinion on the Squib Rights Marches (1), the Pureblood Riots could simply not be tolerated as doing so would be seen by those participating as a sign of grave weakness by the Ministry. Drawing comparaison with the rise of Grindelwald in Germany and Scandinavia he stated that anything but a firm response against such large scale violence would only embolden the perpetrators, leading to something far more terrible. While he certainly made an impression Hercules nonetheless failed to convince. Minister Jenkins navigated the crisis ably, ensuring that the riots would come to an end with limited violence on all sides. A few months latter a series of brutal attacks on muggles marked the beginning of the First British Wizarding War.

Before we go further we must take a moment to discuss the younger generation of Greengrasses. With the beginning of the war and as they have either reached majority or are approaching it they would soon play a role in the course of events as their own witches and wizards, rather that simply as their parents' sons and daughters. Born in 1946 Niké was, litterally and figuratively, the child of the victory of 1945. Dotted upon by both of her parents she was the spitting image of her grandmother Arbela but instead took after her aunt Calliope in personality. A mischievous, altough kind hearted, as well as slightly hyperactive child she often find herself at the middle or dangerous and/or destructive games played both at home and at Hogwarts. Quite willing to defy the rule she often find herself at the head of impromptu expedition to the hills surrounding the Pennines and to other sections of the castle ground after curview. Shorted into Slytherin she found herself fighting a valiant, tough unsuccessfull in hindsight, fight against the growing power of Purism and extremism in her house. While she often did so by non-violent means testimonies from her housemates tend to indicate that she definitely did not deem herself above using her evident talent for martial magic. In the process she acquired a fearsome reputation that ensured none would dare speak ill of her parents in her presence. Upon graduating from Hogwarts she showed a proclivity for partying, spending much of the next two years doing so, leading some to write her off as a lightweight. As it happen they were wrong, however, for on one morning she appeared in the auror office to postulate for a job. To the surprise of her instructors, specifically selected to avoid any apperance of favouritism, she passed the rigorous tests to be admitted to the corps with gusto. Upon taking her post she was immediately affected to case involving Purist extremist, ensuring that many would desire her death.

Born in 1949 Perseus Greengrass was, by contrast, very much his father's son. Born with the Greengrass looks, naturally serious and a magical historian by temperament he and Hercules soon found themselves creating a bond which many noted was strickingly similar to the ties that had once united Hercules with his father, especially since Perseus also showed a remarkable political acumen. Shorted into Ravenclaw he quickly found himself the unnoficial leader of his housemates and gained the Head Boy's badge who had escaped Hercules. While he could present some Ravenclaws to approve of the Dark Rising to come he did manage to isolate them inside their own house, like his father had done with the Grindelwaldites. In that endavour he was opposed by the brothers Foroquil and Calvandus Travers, ensuring that the familly rivalry would pass to the next generation.

While the two eldest children of the familly had, by all accounts, excellent relationships with their parents their younger twin siblings, born in 1953, were not so lucky. Devoid of the strong personality, intelectual drive and magical talents of her older sibling Andromache often struggled to convey to her parents that she had no ambitions other then a quiet life, as the idea was utterly alien to them. Shorted into Huffelpuff, something that did not help as even after two centuries a part of any Greengrass' mind still tought of it as the house of Loxias, she obtained respectable, if not remarkable grades, before going back to Foxridge. In spite of having had several boyfriends throughout the years she only married rather late in life, to a wizard almost a decade her junior: Marius MacMillan. By all accounts a capable young wizard he was embraced by Hercules as more or less the perfect son in law until he was slaughtered, alongside most of his remaining familly since the hatred of the Death Eaters for the MacMillans was second only to the one they had for the Bones. As a result Hercules found himself acting as a father figure of a short for their only child, Ernest.

By contrast with his twin sister Hector Greengrass had much of his parents' intelligence, drive and magical talent, tough falling somewhat short of both of them in each of those respect. As a result the tensions that would mark his interactions with the rest of his familly in later year were absent during his childhood, as his parent looked fondly upon him and the positive reports they received from his tutors. In this context his shorting in Slytherin was seen as nothing then the happy continuation of a proud Greengrass tradition. This state of affairs quickly began to change, however, as either influenced by his housemates or simply now willing to say what he always believed Hector not only embraced a strong traditionalism but also a virrulent purism, tough he stopped short of supporting Riddle and his hilk. Often at loggerheard with the rest of his familly he took the habit of accusing them, not so subtly, of being blood traitors. In spite of all of this, however, mother and son managed to maintain a loving bond, as the name of Hector's youngest daughter testify. Unfortunately, it was not so as far as Hercules and Hector were concerned, in no small part because of the latter's close friendship with Lucius Malfoy, whose father Hercules despised as the assassin of his old brother in arm, Nobby Leach. The conflict between father and son would loom large over the childhoods of Hector's own daughters, Daphné and Astoria the Younger.

(1) Hercules was actually pretty sympathetic to the goals of the Marches, mainly because of his ties with Aeneas, but political concerns lead him to keep his true feelings to himself on the matter.

Last edited:
I must say that usually political headcanons of the wizarding world tend to be dystopic in a way that I don't think is warranted in the source material, while yours captures well a certain atmosphere of Victorian/Edwardian "club politics", with a sprinkle of the Weimar Republik.

Normally I would not have thought of Eleanor as a politician, but the insightful adviser role fits her rather well. I can see her maybe occasionally penning firebrand open letters on the Prophet, but not really having an organisational or very public role. She would also probably bitter leave politics after Leach's demise, her role in the future Order of the Phoenix (and case of her death I am afraid) is a bit foggy yet to me, but I think she might not want to be directly recruited. I don't think if it fits with canon, but i would see her as one of the unlucky one-year Defense teachers, maybe while Potter and Evans are at school (that goes a bit too much into fanfiction territory though).

Tiberius McLaggen, I don't see him on the frontlines in Europe to be honest, but rising to the occasion during the attack on the Ministry, finding the courage he thought he lacked when it came to helping others in mortal danger.

I think relations with the Greengrasses would cool off because of opposed views on Dumbledore and potentially McLaggen becoming more equalitarian after marrying Mary McKinnon (friendly bond changing nature after traumatic wartime experiences).

However, as you hint, they would still be dear friends, McLaggen becoming relatively important within the ministry by keeping his political leanings mostly private/leaving it to his wife to be the family activist.

PS the final sentence of your post seems to be incomplete.

I must say that usually political headcanons of the wizarding world tend to be dystopic in a way that I don't think is warranted in the source material, while yours captures well a certain atmosphere of Victorian/Edwardian "club politics", with a sprinkle of the Weimar Republik.

Normally I would not have thought of Eleanor as a politician, but the insightful adviser role fits her rather well. I can see her maybe occasionally penning firebrand open letters on the Prophet, but not really having an organisational or very public role. She would also probably bitter leave politics after Leach's demise, her role in the future Order of the Phoenix (and case of her death I am afraid) is a bit foggy yet to me, but I think she might not want to be directly recruited. I don't think if it fits with canon, but i would see her as one of the unlucky one-year Defense teachers, maybe while Potter and Evans are at school (that goes a bit too much into fanfiction territory though).

Tiberius McLaggen, I don't see him on the frontlines in Europe to be honest, but rising to the occasion during the attack on the Ministry, finding the courage he thought he lacked when it came to helping others in mortal danger.

I think relations with the Greengrasses would cool off because of opposed views on Dumbledore and potentially McLaggen becoming more equalitarian after marrying Mary McKinnon (friendly bond changing nature after traumatic wartime experiences).

However, as you hint, they would still be dear friends, McLaggen becoming relatively important within the ministry by keeping his political leanings mostly private/leaving it to his wife to be the family activist.

PS the final sentence of your post seems to be incomplete.
Thank you :) And yea, I often have the same reaction: Wizarding Britain is deeply flawed as a society but there is a profound difference between that and a dysotopia and it only truly slide there when Voldemort take power and IMO the text show pretty clearly that at no point did his supporters form anything close to majority, or even a large plurality and they could only come to power, and maintain themselves there, through force.

The Victorian era was indeed one of my inspirations, which I feel does have some strong basis in canon. The other one would be the Roman Republic: an overall oligarchy functionning around a clientele system, but who nonetheless had a few significant democratic elements (Tribunes of the Plebs, election of the Minister for Magic by universal sufrage).

Glad you are OK with it :) My reasoning was that you once mentionned she might have contributed to Leach's political career and, having seen him at work in his Lord Ravenclaw days, she would make sense as the one voice at the table worrying Leach and the others to not underestimate Hercules' ability to relate with voters the Leach campaign could easily already count in their column, and therefore rise in importance when her warnings prove to be prescient. Sadly I do agree with you regarding Eleanor's eventual faith: she is a very talented and outspoken muggleborn who is politicaly active and knew Riddle during his school days. I simply can't imagine him not deciding that she needs to die fairly early during the war and do all he can to kill her.

Regarding Tib, that make sense. My train of toughts was that they would kinda have an agree to disagree attitude regarding politics in most social occasions, altough I can definitely see him act as an intermediary of a short between Hercules and some of the more equalitarian figures knowing of his politics. The fact he didn't fight in the war also probably doesn't help either, as he would have a hard time relating with some of the most defining experiences' of Hercules life. Dumbledore would probably be a ''lets never try to talk about this again'' type of subject IMO. Mind you, on the other hand there is also other factors helping to ensure that they do, indeed, remain close. While the ideological gap between them is probably larger then in their Hogwarts days Hercules himself has significantly moved left following the war, and is pushing the Sphinxes as a whole in that direction, or perhaps more accurately he became confident to show aspects of himself and his beliefs that he know would be hard to swallow by the traditionalists and purists (the two not being mutually exclusive). Then there is also the fact that Dumbledore himself doesn't think ill of him and, if anything, is saddened by the rift and keep making attempts to bridge it from time to time.

As for the last sentence: my appologies, I really shouldn't even ended my writing session mid-sentence :p

Thank you :) When I started this I didn't know if anybody would be interested, and did it more because I do like my feelings of completions ;) so I am very happy to see that some do enjoy it :)

I have refrained from writing Lucian in, as I didn't know if you had any idea for his future, but I could definitely see him being among the first Hercules recruited for the Horcrux hunt, and therefore playing a key role in the liberarion of the magical communities of the Balkans and of Hungary.

Last edited:
Thank you :) When I started this I didn't know if anybody would be interested, and did it more because I do like my feelings of completions ;) so I am very happy to see that some do enjoy it :)

I have refrained from writing Lucian in, as I didn't know if you had any idea for his future, but I could definitely see him being among the first Hercules recruited for the Horcrux hunt, and therefore playing a key role in the liberarion of the magical communities of the Balkans and of Hungary.
Really as far as Lucian's fate you can go about in 2 ways, maybe 3 ways.

1. He goes on to fight in the wars and decides to leave back to America. With only a occasional visit to all his friends here and there.

2. He is killed in either the first wizarding war or the second. With him having married Cora Crouch or at least been involved with romantically.

3. Is he survives the wars. Marries Cora Crouch and becomes a Auror like he always wanted to do.

Really as far as Lucian's fate you can go about in 2 ways, maybe 3 ways.

1. He goes on to fight in the wars and decides to leave back to America. With only a occasional visit to all his friends here and there.

2. He is killed in either the first wizarding war or the second. With him having married Cora Crouch or at least been involved with romantically.

3. Is he survives the wars. Marries Cora Crouch and becomes a Auror like he always wanted to do.
I'd go with something along two or three myself, altough its obviously your call: When Hercules ask him to join Operation Persephone he accept as a sense of duty, distinguishing himself in the fighting and following the advance of the Azure Foxes up to Hungary.

Lucian would never be a Sphinx and his personality is simply too different from Hercules' for them to be true friends but fighting side by side did create a significant bond nonetheless. Hercules use his clout to favour Lucian's career in the auror office and shield him from those who despise his eventual mariage to Cora for Purist reasons. Lucian has a pleasant and happy life until the lead up to the First Wizarding War, in which he will be suck in with his eventual faith still unknown.

I'd go with something along two or three myself, altough its obviously your call: When Hercules ask him to join Operation Persephone he accept as a sense of duty, distinguishing himself in the fighting and following the advance of the Azure Foxes up to Hungary.

Lucian would never be a Sphinx and his personality is simply too different from Hercules' for them to be true friends but fighting side by side did create a significant bond nonetheless. Hercules use his clout to favour Lucian's career in the auror office and shield him from those who despise his eventual mariage to Cora for Purist reasons. Lucian has a pleasant and happy life until the lead up to the First Wizarding War, in which he will be suck in with his eventual faith still unknown.
That sounds pretty good. It also makes sense Lucian was more friends with Ulysse's then Hercules. But would no doubt be friendly enough with Hercules due to both being Banes and then the fighting they would do together.

A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part III, The Years of Tears
Alright, I decided to cut part II short after the Pureblood Riots, before going into the First Wizarding War itself. I did close it with a description of his kids, however, so I do recommend the reading of the few paragraphs I added to it after I posted it as a WIP. It will help make sense of of some stuff in part three while it also start to reconcile Spell of Parseltongue's canon on the Greengrasses with what we know of the cannonical Astoria's upbringing and the usual fanon on her immediate familly. It also include a new cannonical character as Herc's relative, which I had in mind for a while now. I would especially want to know if @Yanez is ok with Eleanor's fate.

A content warning tough: As you can surmise by the title this isn't the happiest period of Hercules' life, to say the least, so part of this update deal with depression and there is even allusion to suicide. If you want to avoid reading it for that reason I would fully understand.

A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part III, The Years of Tears

While some historians argue that the bloody duel between Riddle and Greengrass began as early as 1943, when the later refused to accept the explanation the other proposed for the numerous attacks on Hogwarts' muggleborns students. While there is no doubt that the future Lord Voldemort had come to see in the Ravenclaw a possible obstacle to his dark ambitions and that, by the end of the year, Lord Ravenclaw had become one of the very few somewhat immune to the Sytherin's charm their last interactions at Hogwarts nonetheless remained polite, and, while definitely concerned by many of the events of the 1960's, most of the Greengrasses remained unaware of what was at play in the shadows. No, for most Foxridges' inhabitants the First Wizarding War only began on April 17, 1971, when Bellorophon Greengrass stepped in his older cousin's study. By all accounts they had been close, the younger wizards regalling in the fairy tales and the stories on the past of the Wizarding World Hercules liked to read to him during his childhood. Latter in life this mutual love seemed to continue, as Bellorophon became a staunch advocate of the politics defended by his cousin, both inside his Slytherin robes and after graduation. Many suspected that, in many ways, Bellorophon had been the little brother Hercules would have liked Ulysses to be. Under the surface, however, the younger Greengrass had become increasingly disquieted by the changes to Wizarding Britain who were taking place, those same changes its older relative was now embracing.

The election of Nobby Leach proved to be the last straw for Bellorophon Greengrass and a few months latter he accepted to join the ranks of an organisation who was yet to bear the name under which it achieved infamy. Throughout the decades his relations with the rest of his familly but has he stepped in his cousin study, with the mission to convince him to rejoin Bellorophon's new master he had hoped that his best might just carry the day, that he might just convince his cousin that his fears and hatreds were justified and that only drastic actions could save the world in which they had grown up in, the world in which old families were given proper defference, their world. One glance was probably sufficient for him to know that this would not come pass. He had hoped to speak to his cousin alone but instead he found him in the company of his wife and his first daughter, Niké, who he had always disliked. The three were clad in black and, upon being asked why, Hercules answered with glacial tone that he was mourning the death of four fellow veterans of the Global Wizarding War, one of them having served at his side, who had been slain while trying to defend innocent muggles against the attacks of the Death Eaters, the two last words being spouted with particular venomn. In a rambling speech Bellorophon then proceeded to make his case, meeting nothing but silence from the wizard and the two witches. As he began to speak of his dark lord, however, Hercules spoke at least, with a voice colder then a Dementor's breath, and asked Bellorophon what was their familly moto. For a few seconds Bellorophon try to evade the question but Hercules asked it again, yelling this time, and, at last, Bellorophon answered: ''Jamais à Genous!'', never on your knees. These words, Hercules declared while nonchalantly blowing Bellorophon from the familly tapestry, were his answer to the so-called Dark Lord. The Greengrass familly was now at war.

Hercules' activities during the following years are probably more nebulous then at any other points in his life. Their conflict with Dumbledore still alive and well he and his wife refused invitations to join the Order of the Phoenix while, at the same time, they suffered from the discredit stricking all the main political figures having presided over the unfolding of the crisis, who had then became a war. Such was the discredit suffered by the old guard that Hercules' position of leadership among the Sphinxes, which had enjoyed in one form or another for more then two decades, did not survive the beginning of the First Wizarding War, the beginning of the 1970's seeing him eclipsed by his younger brother in law, Barthelomeow Crouch Sr. Their absence from the ranks of the Order of the Phoenix or from the decision centers of the ministry must not be taken as a sign of inactivity, however. Still possessing immense prestige abroad they spent much of this period touring wizarding communities abroad, often accompagnied by other British war heroes such as the Scamanders, to raise awareness of the international nature of the threat the Death Eaters represented. Asking for volounters and pleading for other magical governments to do whatever they could to prevent some of the magical beings under their care to join Voldemort they depicted him as a new Grindelwald, or a dark wizard who could easily be a new Grindelwald should he manage to take power in Britain. When not abroad the couple was busily at work building a network inside Wizarding Britain's upper society, which they knew as well anyone else, to gather intelligence and discourage those who might be tempted to support the Death Eaters and yet remained open to reasoning.

Of course, war cannot be truly war without blood being spilled and the First Wizarding War brought to Wizarding Britain an amount of pain and death never seen in its long and venerable history. In those early years of the bloodbath the Ministry had yet to truly allow mass participation in the conflict, trying to restrict it to an Auror corps whose ranks had grown, yes, but not exponentially. Only the legendary Headmaster and his Order were allowed to operate. The Death Eaters for their part, were leery to assassinate a wizard and a witch whom they admired as purebloods of great talent, even if they also hated them as Blood traitors, whom some of them still hoped could be coerced into cooperating, while they also feared that their deaths would make them martyrs to moderates and veterans of the fight against Grindelwald all over the world. The Ministry did, however, authorise individual citizens to gather to organise their own defense. During whatever free time their other activities left them the Greengrasses managed to cobble together a group of wizards and witches of good conscience and not unconsiderable magical abilities to help protect those willing to accept their help and who might be targetted by the Death Eaters. At the price of several trips to Saint Mungo comrades of the fight against Grindelwald, classmates of their days at Hogwarts and friends of latter days were saved. Not all could be, however, and several good Wizards and Witches whom they cared about was thrown beyond the veil in those years. While we cannot mention all of them lets nonetheless cite the names of a few of them: Patricia Bones, who served as a Gryffindor prefect at their side and even survived an encouter with Grindelwald, before being slain by Voldemort himself, Charlus Potter, the other Gryffindor prefect of the year when the chamber was openned, Edward Anlwick, muggleborn in Ravenclaw with whom the Greengrasses had been friend since their arrival at Hogwarts who had grown up to be one of the most celebrated researcher of the Department of Mysteries and, perhaps the grievous wound of all, Eleanor Colville.

While she had opted to support Leach over Greengrass in 1962 the famous potion mistress was nonetheless greatly respected by the master and mistress of Foxridge since the three of them had served as prefects toguether in 1942-43. The immense pain she felt at the death of the wizard she had done much to see elected, as well as the worst moments of the campaign of 1962, had left her rather suspicious of the Greengrasses, even if she understood that they had not approved of the attitude of the traditionalists while he was minister, and even less of his assassination. Several times they offered her their help and several times she refused. Only when she heard of a sejourn they made at Saint Mungo following a particularly brutal clash they had with the Death Eaters, when rescuing a friend, and learned just how much her death was desired (1) did she finally reach out. Seeing no other solution it was arranged for her to reside in Foxridge for the time being, as it was hoped that the mighty wards defending it would be enough to keep even Voldemort himself at bay. Hours before she was set to arrive in the Pennines, however, she was ambushed by four Death Eaters. By all accounts she defended herself fiercely, killing one before he could kill her and mortally wounding another before the Dark Lord himself was ask to come to help. The potion mistress was still alive when, having deduced that the worst had come to pass when she had not arrived, the Greengrasses arrived at the scene with a platoon of aurors, who had also been alerted, forcing the Death Eaters to retreat. It was still too late, however, and she barely had the time to tell her housemates that the terrifying wizard seemed odly familiar before Eleanor passed away.

In spite of the tears they undoutebly shed at these events the Greengrasses could have nonetheless held on to the, non-negligeable in these dark years, comfort that the year had yet to inflict looses to their immediate familly, a state of affairs that tragically changed in June 1973. Ulysses Greengrass had never married but the Quidditch star had nonetheless had more then a few mistresses throughout the years. The longest of such relations lasted through most of the late 50's and early 60's, with a french Quidditch player named Aurélie Lavallée, star chasser of the Hollylead Harpies, friendly rivals of Ulysses' Puddlemere United, and a muggleborn. Their relationship soon became an open secret, and while it had run its course by 1965 few could not guess who was the father of Achilles and Atalante Lavallée. It was during one of Ulysses' visits to his children that the Death Eaters came, ready to commit murders that, in their mindset, would both strike terror due to the fame of their victims while also holding little risk to turn badly for the servants of their Dark Lord. The latter part proved to be mistaken, however, for Ulysses had decided to organise a familly lunch of a short, and invited his favourite niece, Niké, to meet her cousins. With a two way mirrors she alerted several of her colleagues and one of the biggest clash of the early years of the war. While Achilles and Atalante survived, both to live with their uncle and to be publicly aknowledged as Greengrasses, their parents did not. Three aurors died at their side, Niké Greengrass among them.

For Hercules and Astoria the murder of their daughter and brother/brother in-law only reinforced their growing certainties that Eugenia Jenkins and those around her were leading Wizarding Britain to her doom with her insistence to limit the scale of the conflict as well as its deathtoll, an endavour in which they did not seem to have much success, and that the war could only be won by breaking Voldemort and his supporters through overwhelming. This sentiment, well spread among their political allies and acquaintances, was summed up by Hercules lapidary statement: ''I Won't Return to Ostrevenburg!'' The Sphinxes had become the party of victory at all costs and, for the last time, they were ascendant. In 1975 Eugenia Jenkins was toppled and replaced by Harold Minchum but the real power in the Ministry now layed in the hands of Bartholomeow Crouch Sr., Hercules brother in-law. As Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement his first action was to dramatically increase both the power and the ranks of the Auror force, as well as to allow them to call upon civilian volounters from both Britain and Ireland and abroad to assist them. Hercules was named head of the Auror Office, despite having never been au Auror himself, and began the heavy and crucial task of transforming the Aurors from a police force into an army.

To properly tell the tales of these dark years, to show in great details how the conflict intensified while the resistance of the Ministry stiffened and the bloodbath continued, would be beyond our purpose. Suffice it to say that, for Greengrass, much of the period was spent forging the tool that the Ministry hoped would be Riddle's doom. Even the discovery of Rockwood's network inside the ministry and its dismantling, where the Greengrasses' own network played a key role, was supervised by Crouch himself. This state of affairs came to an end in 1979; enraged by the stiffened resistance of the Ministry and of the Order Voldermort had decided to change his strategy. Rather then try to provoke the fall of the ministry by a complete breakdown of its capacity to govern Wizarding Britain and the piecemail slaughter of its support a mighty blow was to destroy it in one feel swoop. For the first time in centuries Wizarding Britain was to see the kind of large scale fighting the Global Wizarding War had become infamous for. Thus Hercules Greengrass found himself commanding an army once more.

Most of the fighting took place in and around Strachclyde forest. At first it mainly took the form of inconclusive skirmishes, the enormous magical might of the Death Eaters' Dark Lord being counterbalanced by the fact that, at every instant, he proved himself less savy at this type of magical warfare then the former leader of the Azure Foxes. Things came at last came to an end in a battle found around a hunting lodge in a clearing which had served as Greengrass' headquarters. Moments before the battle began Hercules had grimly remarked that the Death Eaters would be well fed on that night, no matter the outcome, giving its name to the battle: the Death Eaters' Feast.

As the two forces were about to clash, however, Riddle himself was absent. A few hours he had received an Owl from Greengrass inviting him to face each other in single combat before the army could face each other in single combat rather then to see those under them slain in mass. Confiding in his might and, in any case, unwilling to seem weak in front of his follower he had accepted, only to find himself alone in the pre-aranged location. Surmising, correctly, that he had been trick so as to not be with his Death Eaters when the fight would began a burning anger took old of him and thus, when one of the lackais he had brought with him to withness the duel noticed that the Ministry's army seemed nearby, unaware of Voldemort presence on their rear, he did not take the time to reflect and, in quite possibly the most impressive magical display of his career, he unleashed a torrent of raw magical might against it, only to discover that he had been the victim of a very elaborate magical illusion created by Dumbledore (the differences the Greengrasses had with him having been temporarily put asside for the occasion) and that, expertly manoeuvered around to place it exactly where it needed to be, it was a substantial part of his servants that he had just obliterated, just as they faced the onslaught of those fighting for the Ministry.

Now overtaken by not only anger but, in spite of his latter denial, fear as well, Riddle threw himself in the battle to not only save what could be saved for his demented cause but also to slay the wizard who he now hated above any not in Gryffindor. It was his eldest son, Perseus, that he found first and while the Greengrass heir was a talented wizard he was simply not nearly talented enough to survive such an encounter. Upon being informed by the Dark Wizard's magically emplified voice that their son was the dead the Greengrasses abandonned the duels they were currently waging, and winning, with Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov and sought Voldemort. Their already considerable magical might amplified by their anger and grief they fared well at first and, for one beautiful and glorious moment, they seemed to be winning! Putting all his strenght into the fight Riddle recovered, however, and they both suffered significant injuries. Astoria's proved especially grievous and she soon found herself unable to move with any speed without help, much less contribute to the fight. Refusing to abandon the person he loved most Hercules stood there, facing the full brunt of Riddle's might for almost half an hour before Dumbledore's providential arrival on the scene gave the Dark Lord an ennemy he could not defeat, forcing him to retreat as his servants had began to rout.

The Ministry and the Order of the Phoenix had won a great victory as Voldemorts' forces has suffered terribly, the mighty Giants who had been so usefull to him being particularly depleted, but they had pay a terrible price for it. Many Wizards and Witches good and true had found their end there. One of them was Astoria Greengrass, who succombed to her injuries a few hours latter. In her last breath she told her husband to not cry for ''We will meet again! When you cross the veil I will be there waiting for you!''. In latter years they're will be a few mistresses but those who knew Hercules Greengrass all agree that their was only one witch he ever loved. It was reported that, upon hearing of Perseus and Astoria's deaths Tiberius McLaghen, powerfull Ministry official as well as Hercules' cousin and dear friend, ordered that he never be left alone, not even for a second, fearing what he might do to himself if he was. Following his recovery from his own injuries Hercules once more assumed his duties as Head of the Auror Office behind the lines and resumed his role in the education of his relatives who were still minor. Those who knew him well noted a change, however, as he did not seem to take pleasure in anything anymore. When Tom Riddle died and Harry Potter lived he was invited to numerous parties and his smile never reached his eyes.

As if the Morai of the Greek legends his familly loved so much had taken him in hatred this period also saw his final estrangement with his surviving son Hector, at least for the following decade. Upon Perseus' death Hector Greengrass had assumed he would take over the mantle of heir to the familly's wealth, power and prestige but such a belief had proved mistaken. Unknow to most, for such a thing was better for the children, Perseus Greengrass had married an American Muggleborn Auror, Isabelle Lansing, who had come to Albion to fight the Death Eaters, and at whose hands she had died in 1980. Upon learning of their existence Hector demanded they be, if not excluded from the familly at the very least excluded from the lion share of its ineritance. In other days fear of the consequences of breaking the social norms of his class might have managed to twist Hercules' harm but the preceding decade had ensured he now could not care less about such matters. While Hector was not blown up from the familly tapestry he soon moved out of Foxridge and the interactions between the two wizards would remain frosty for many years. Moreover, it was widely assumed that only Hercules unwillingness to indirectly punish Hector's infant daughter had prevented a complete separation. If the meaning of such developments was not yet plain to some the very name of his two young were wearing, Clysthenes (b.1978) and Thrasybulus (b. 1980, after his father's death), would have helped them better grasp it. Hercules, and by extension the Greengrass familly has a whole, had publicly and spectacularly denounced Purism by its actions and willingly assumed the mantle of blood traitors.

In spite of all the pain of the last years the cup of poison was not yet empty, however. The reveal of Barty Crouch Jr.'s treachery would derail his father's ambitions and, as the young Death Eater was his nephew, burry any hope of a political comeback for the time being. The Sphinxes had, at last, become a spent force and while the newly elected Cornelius Fudge would burry him under honors, both as it was politically expedient to do so and due to the respect he still had for him from their years as housemates, but the reality of power was now out of reach for Hercules, and at the time it seemed it would be so forever. Through the escape of Barty Crouch Jr. he also lost his sister, Calliope, whose death he was not able to properly grieve and whose exact faith he would only learn years later. These events caused a rift between him and Barty Crouch Sr., which the latter only worked to widen to avoid the risk of seeing his brother in-law discover his secret and denounce him to the Ministry. As the 1980's Hercules had come to consider that his life was now essentially over. He would take care, or help take care, of his younger relatives until they reached adulthood and he would write a few history papers he had in mind before simply waiting to die.

Faith had other plans for him, however, both crueller and kinder. In 1983 Sybil Trelawney would make one of many predictions detailling the role some wizards and witches were to play in latter events. Unlike her most famous prophecy most of them tended to be too cryptic to be of much use and their meaning only became plain in retrospect.

''On the day of great peril he will rise, like a Phoenix he will rise this Raven of blue feathers' clad.
It is he who will wield the mighty sword, the mighty sword with whom the shadows will be pierced, the mighty sword who will slay the Great Lie!
He will return this old warrior in Bronze clad, at the moment of despair he will return.
And upon his arrival those who are true will rejoice while the falses will fall!"

Last edited:
What a read! Poor Hercules, a lot of his more dear personal achievements crumbling in such sad way. But such is the darkness of civil war.

Do I understand that he becomes a sort of father figure for Ernie MacMillan?

I must say I had not ever thought about the First Wizarding War having a climatic "field battle", but it is am interesting take, I think I like it overall.

As to Eleanor's death, I had some ideas for her death scene or disappearance so I hadn't thought about it in the way you described it. Mostly because I had grown quite fond of the idea of her managing to escape to Hogwarts for a while.

It does make sense that it is something that would happen early in the war, or even before the war, with Riddle cutting out loose ends from his school years.

But as I had not put down to paper a definite version of it, please feel free to keep this, I gave no real issues against it.

I liked the touch on Tiberius' protectiveness aftsr Hercules' tragedy. he probably has close experience of that with the whole McKinnon family being slaughtered.

Hercules certainly got the short end of the stick. Are Daphne and Astoria the daughters of Hector, then, or of the disowned cousin.

It's interesting that you mention Patricia Bones. I had something else in mind for her related to Lucretia's arc, though it would have been far less glorious. Maybe I'll write up a little something.

Some very WIP stuff on my end:

I did not sign up for this, Lucretia Black thought as she battled against the snows of the Austrian Alps. Once upon a time, not long ago,, she had imagined spending her twentieth birthday in luxury and merrymaking, surrounded by her family, friends and admirers. She could see it. She could almost feel it. Drowning in laughter with Walburga, talking politics with her father, dancing with a suitor or two. She reveled in her fantasy, savoring the magnificent taste of Kreacher's cuisine in her mouth, until a harsh and cold gust of wind brought her back to her exceedingly uncomfortable reality. She was not spending her birthday cuddling around the hearth at Grimmauld Place, but surviving an Austrian winter high in the mountains.

She hated every minute of it.

Not for the first time, Lucretia wondered what the hell she was doing there. What was I thinking? She asked herself, though she already knew the answer. I was thinking of myself. The offer had, at first, been outraging. Sometimes she still felt her anger afresh when she remembered how Scamander had summoned her to his office and had made her such an indecent proposal. The gall of it! She had scored seven NEWTs! She had been Head Girl! She was a Black! How dare Scamander demand she fight in a war in which she had no stake?

"It is very well known that your family's sympathies lie with Grindelwald, Miss Black," she could still remember his voice saying. How dare he? "Your recruitment would not raise suspicion among his ranks, and your name, blood and talent would ensure a rapid rise. Your ties with Hogwarts and Dumbledore will be valued."

At the time, she had not deigned Director Scamander with an answer. That the man wished to involve her in the front lines, where she clearly did not belong, was already bad enough. That he would order her to infiltrate Grindelwald's inner circle, to pledge him allegiance all the while secretly passing crucial information back to the Ministry was simply unthinkable. Scamander had wished to employ her as a spy. A Slytherin might not have found such a proposal indecent and degrading, but Lucretia was more than just a Slytherin. She was a Black, and the Blacks were above all proud.

It was only after storming away from the Director's office in blind fury and indignation that she would give the idea some serious thought. Victory in the war was inevitable, he had said. Grindelwald was the most powerful dark wizard in centuries, but he was only one man. He couldn't be everywhere. His forces were being pushed back. His Muggle allies were on the verge of collapse. He had said that Lucretia had a choice. She could choose to be part of the future, or part of the past. Her family name, tainted by their association to Grindelwald, would not get her very far after his downfall. The Ministry would welcome its fighters as heroes. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement would give preference to the veterans. There would be no more space at the Wizengamot for others. The future belonged to them. Lucretia could be a part of it, or she could not.

It should have been an easy decision. She was not cut out for war. Whatever Scamander said, the name of Black would always carry weight and command obedience. The doors to the Ministry would always be open to her and her money, even if her rise wouldn't be as swift as it could have been. And even then, even if the Ministry shut its doors to her, Lucretia could choose the path followed by her cousin Walburga. She had no need for work. She could spend her whole life at Grimmauld Place. She could even find a husband in a heartbeat, and wield power and influence through him.

But it wouldn't have been her power.

The Blacks were, above all, proud, and Lucretia was the proudest of them. She was the firstborn child of her parents. She had excelled in Hogwarts. She had served as Head Girl and led the students through the worst crisis in living memory. Only one mudblood of Ravenclaw house had died to Hagrid's creature, and she took pride in that. If she had not acted, perhaps more hallowed blood would have stained the castle's halls because of that oaf's monster. She had protected Hogwarts, stood up for her students and reigned as the queen of the castle. When she left Hogwarts for the last time, crossing the lake on the same boats that had taken her to the school seven years before, she had thought the world was hers to conquer.

She had been mistaken.

No one cared about Hagrid's monster outside of Hogwarts. Upon joining the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, admittedly with a little assistance from her family, Lucretia had tried to push for his conviction and imprisonment in Azkaban. No one cared. Everyone had been obsessed with Grindelwald this, Grindelwald that. But the worst shock had been that nobody cared about her. Away from Hogwarts, she was no longer a queen. She was a teen barely out of school, and, worse yet, she was a girl. A girl who by all rights should have been entitled to inherit the Black family estate, their fortune and their titles and privileges. She was the eldest child. She was the apple of her father's eye. She had been Head Girl, while her loathsome little brother would never make it to prefect. Orion would take everything from her. Her home, her fortune, her very name. He would even take Walburga for himself. All because he had happened to be born a boy. It was unfair. Through no fault of her own, Lucretia thought, she was being left behind - and if there was one thing she hated, it was being left behind.

The idea took a while to grow on her. Every time she would work from her desk at the Ministry and fill out tedious papers, she would think of it. Every time someone failed to give her proper deference, she would think of it. Every time she returned home every evening and reminded herself that Grimmauld Place would never be hers, she would think of it. Scamander's proposal had sounded indecent at first. With the passage of time, however, it came to be the only way forward.

When she brought the matter to the family, her father had strongly opposed it. It was absurd, he had said. She wasn't a soldier, and she wasn't a spy. A Black would never do the dirty work of the Ministry in a war that wasn't theirs. Besides, it would be too dangerous for his darling girl. Her grandfather, however, disagreed. Sirius Phineas Black was a venerable and dignified aristocrat, a member of the Hogwarts Board of Governors and a warlock of the Wizengamot. He knew what was best for the family, and he decided that accepting Scamander's proposal was the best for the family. It was a perfect plan, he declared. If Grindelwald won, Lucretia would serve as the invaluable bridge between the Black family and the new regime that would rule over wizards and Muggles alike. If Grindelwald lost, the family could point to Lucretia's role in his downfall to claim that they had always opposed Grindelwald from the beginning. Lucretia could finally serve this family in a way she had never done before. She would make them all proud. Prouder than Orion had ever made them, or would ever possibly make them. The future of the Black family would be deposited in her hands.

At the time, she had agreed with the sentiment.

That was how she came to celebrate her twentieth birthday high in the mountains at the height of the Austrian winter.

Merlin, I was an idiot.

What a read! Poor Hercules, a lot of his more dear personal achievements crumbling in such sad way. But such is the darkness of civil war.

Do I understand that he becomes a sort of father figure for Ernie MacMillan?

I must say I had not ever thought about the First Wizarding War having a climatic "field battle", but it is am interesting take, I think I like it overall.

As to Eleanor's death, I had some ideas for her death scene or disappearance so I hadn't thought about it in the way you described it. Mostly because I had grown quite fond of the idea of her managing to escape to Hogwarts for a while.

It does make sense that it is something that would happen early in the war, or even before the war, with Riddle cutting out loose ends from his school years.

But as I had not put down to paper a definite version of it, please feel free to keep this, I gave no real issues against it.

I liked the touch on Tiberius' protectiveness aftsr Hercules' tragedy. he probably has close experience of that with the whole McKinnon family being slaughtered.

Thank you :) I do confess that some of it was hard to write, especially the paragraph just before the prophecy and despite knowing that his part in the events was very much NOT over. At least part of it was due to me feeling the need to lean on the war is hell trope because, as much as he had gone through some traumatic events and see peoples he genuinely cared about died, his participation in the Global Wizarding War had some serious accents of war is glorious to it.

Appart from a moment where the von Krauze siblings had seemingly put him in trouble Hercules had pretty much spent the whole time going forward, dancing around his opponents and outsmarting them at every move, proving those who doubted his chance wrong at every turn. From the Lord Ravenclaw of his school years, a promising young wizard but still just a kid, he emerged from the war as the Lord of Battle, liberator of the magical communities of the Balkans and one of the Wizarding Britain's most celebrated figures, all but assured to wield a sizable degree of influence in the years to come. As important to him, any whispered talks of some of his relatives about Astoria's humbler background and her more recent muggle ancestry had also died out, as she, herself had returned home as the Lady of Victories, to once more use Cuffe's nicknames. The death of his father had been hard on him but it was part of the war as whole rather then Hercules' war, so to speak. Nobody among those he was the closest with had died in the Balkans.

Essentially, the first time around he was lucky enough to not be among those whose lives were, in spite of victory, left in shamble. When it was Wizarding Britain's turn to have her own civil war it did not turn out that way, to say the least.

One of the things that made it all the more tragic is that, both in term of magical prowess and tactical savy, he did some impressive stuff at the Death Eaters' feast, but any joy or pride he might have felt at it has obviously turned to ashes as the battle would always be the place where his wife and son died as far as he is concerned. Still, it did earn him if not quite the fear at least a kind of hate-fuelled respect from Riddle.

Regarding Ernie, yes he more or less did :) The more I tought about it the more I could see some resemblances between the two, both in their quality and in their flaws, so I tought it be fun to do something with it :)

The big set piece battle was essentially inspired by the throaway line in canon according to which the giants fighting for Riddle suffered massive casualties during a fairly small amount of time, which I have trouble imaging without some kind of large scale engagement. Mind you, the war was far from over after it, as Voldemort went back to his previous tactics with even greater ferrocity when a direct, large scale, assault, had proven fruitless. Fortunately, the Dark Wizard was killed relatively soon afterward by his own killing curse.

As for Eleanor, she still did manage to survive until almost the mid-years of the war so my train of tought was that she could have been the DADA professor for a year before that, altough you might have wanted her to teach older versions of the Marauders so if you ever want me to change it to fit something you'd like to write I would be down to do so, of course.

And that was part of my train of toughts on Tiberius as well. He can probably relate to at least some what Hercules is going through and with Astoria's death he is essentially the closest friend Hercules has so he does feel some degree of responsability toward him because of that.

Hercules certainly got the short end of the stick. Are Daphne and Astoria the daughters of Hector, then, or of the disowned cousin.

It's interesting that you mention Patricia Bones. I had something else in mind for her related to Lucretia's arc, though it would have been far less glorious. Maybe I'll write up a little something.
They are Hector's daughters. In term of ideology I imagined him, at least at this stage of his life, as essentially believing what a Lucius Malfoy would pretend to believe while in public so he would fit both the cannonical ''Astoria got an upbringing similar to Draco's during her early years, but far less violent'', as well as be inclined to stay on the sidelines, at least at first, as Astoria's immediate familly is often portrayed to do in headcanons.

And interesting regarding Patricia Bones, looking forward to learn what you have in mind :) . Cannonically the Bones got slaughtered almost to the last, hence her fate and I felt having her going down fighting was fitting.

Some very WIP stuff on my end:

I did not sign up for this, Lucretia Black thought as she battled against the snows of the Austrian Alps. Once upon a time, not long ago,, she had imagined spending her twentieth birthday in luxury and merrymaking, surrounded by her family, friends and admirers. She could see it. She could almost feel it. Drowning in laughter with Walburga, talking politics with her father, dancing with a suitor or two. She reveled in her fantasy, savoring the magnificent taste of Kreacher's cuisine in her mouth, until a harsh and cold gust of wind brought her back to her exceedingly uncomfortable reality. She was not spending her birthday cuddling around the hearth at Grimmauld Place, but surviving an Austrian winter high in the mountains.

She hated every minute of it.

Not for the first time, Lucretia wondered what the hell she was doing there. What was I thinking? She asked herself, though she already knew the answer. I was thinking of myself. The offer had, at first, been outraging. Sometimes she still felt her anger afresh when she remembered how Scamander had summoned her to his office and had made her such an indecent proposal. The gall of it! She had scored seven NEWTs! She had been Head Girl! She was a Black! How dare Scamander demand she fight in a war in which she had no stake?

"It is very well known that your family's sympathies lie with Grindelwald, Miss Black," she could still remember his voice saying. How dare he? "Your recruitment would not raise suspicion among his ranks, and your name, blood and talent would ensure a rapid rise. Your ties with Hogwarts and Dumbledore will be valued."

At the time, she had not deigned Director Scamander with an answer. That the man wished to involve her in the front lines, where she clearly did not belong, was already bad enough. That he would order her to infiltrate Grindelwald's inner circle, to pledge him allegiance all the while secretly passing crucial information back to the Ministry was simply unthinkable. Scamander had wished to employ her as a spy. A Slytherin might not have found such a proposal indecent and degrading, but Lucretia was more than just a Slytherin. She was a Black, and the Blacks were above all proud.

It was only after storming away from the Director's office in blind fury and indignation that she would give the idea some serious thought. Victory in the war was inevitable, he had said. Grindelwald was the most powerful dark wizard in centuries, but he was only one man. He couldn't be everywhere. His forces were being pushed back. His Muggle allies were on the verge of collapse. He had said that Lucretia had a choice. She could choose to be part of the future, or part of the past. Her family name, tainted by their association to Grindelwald, would not get her very far after his downfall. The Ministry would welcome its fighters as heroes. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement would give preference to the veterans. There would be no more space at the Wizengamot for others. The future belonged to them. Lucretia could be a part of it, or she could not.

It should have been an easy decision. She was not cut out for war. Whatever Scamander said, the name of Black would always carry weight and command obedience. The doors to the Ministry would always be open to her and her money, even if her rise wouldn't be as swift as it could have been. And even then, even if the Ministry shut its doors to her, Lucretia could choose the path followed by her cousin Walburga. She had no need for work. She could spend her whole life at Grimmauld Place. She could even find a husband in a heartbeat, and wield power and influence through him.

But it wouldn't have been her power.

The Blacks were, above all, proud, and Lucretia was the proudest of them. She was the firstborn child of her parents. She had excelled in Hogwarts. She had served as Head Girl and led the students through the worst crisis in living memory. Only one mudblood of Ravenclaw house had died to Hagrid's creature, and she took pride in that. If she had not acted, perhaps more hallowed blood would have stained the castle's halls because of that oaf's monster. She had protected Hogwarts, stood up for her students and reigned as the queen of the castle. When she left Hogwarts for the last time, crossing the lake on the same boats that had taken her to the school seven years before, she had thought the world was hers to conquer.

She had been mistaken.

No one cared about Hagrid's monster outside of Hogwarts. Upon joining the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, admittedly with a little assistance from her family, Lucretia had tried to push for his conviction and imprisonment in Azkaban. No one cared. Everyone had been obsessed with Grindelwald this, Grindelwald that. But the worst shock had been that nobody cared about her. Away from Hogwarts, she was no longer a queen. She was a teen barely out of school, and, worse yet, she was a girl. A girl who by all rights should have been entitled to inherit the Black family estate, their fortune and their titles and privileges. She was the eldest child. She was the apple of her father's eye. She had been Head Girl, while her loathsome little brother would never make it to prefect. Orion would take everything from her. Her home, her fortune, her very name. He would even take Walburga for himself. All because he had happened to be born a boy. It was unfair. Through no fault of her own, Lucretia thought, she was being left behind - and if there was one thing she hated, it was being left behind.

The idea took a while to grow on her. Every time she would work from her desk at the Ministry and fill out tedious papers, she would think of it. Every time someone failed to give her proper deference, she would think of it. Every time she returned home every evening and reminded herself that Grimmauld Place would never be hers, she would think of it. Scamander's proposal had sounded indecent at first. With the passage of time, however, it came to be the only way forward.

When she brought the matter to the family, her father had strongly opposed it. It was absurd, he had said. She wasn't a soldier, and she wasn't a spy. A Black would never do the dirty work of the Ministry in a war that wasn't theirs. Besides, it would be too dangerous for his darling girl. Her grandfather, however, disagreed. Sirius Phineas Black was a venerable and dignified aristocrat, a member of the Hogwarts Board of Governors and a warlock of the Wizengamot. He knew what was best for the family, and he decided that accepting Scamander's proposal was the best for the family. It was a perfect plan, he declared. If Grindelwald won, Lucretia would serve as the invaluable bridge between the Black family and the new regime that would rule over wizards and Muggles alike. If Grindelwald lost, the family could point to Lucretia's role in his downfall to claim that they had always opposed Grindelwald from the beginning. Lucretia could finally serve this family in a way she had never done before. She would make them all proud. Prouder than Orion had ever made them, or would ever possibly make them. The future of the Black family would be deposited in her hands.

At the time, she had agreed with the sentiment.

That was how she came to celebrate her twentieth birthday high in the mountains at the height of the Austrian winter.

Merlin, I was an idiot.

I like it :)

Lucretia's pride in her heritage and familly name was very well shown, while you also easily feel how it tangled with her frustration regarding Orion, who was less smart and magically talented then she was, get the lion share of her familly's legacy as well as her lurking internal awareness that her familly was already on the decline, even if it was an onspoken one, even to herself, and that she would honestly scoff at the notion if somebody was to mention it.

I can imagine she witnessed some rather unpleasant stuff, to say the least, inside Grindelwald inner circle so I am definitely curious to see how it could have changed her. I am also wondering who she might have been thinking off while thinking about a husband at this stage. Hercules would have been a logical possibility but he had already been married with Astoria for almost two years by this stage.

One quick question tough: Director Scamander would be Theseus, correct?

Side note about the whole thing: Finally tipping ''Harry Potter'' about 17k words in does definitely give you an odd feeling. Kind of like ''Oh yeah, this is what inspired this whole thing! I almost forgot!'' :p

Last edited:
I can imagine she witnessed some rather unpleasant stuff, to say the least, inside Grindelwald inner circle so I am definitely curious to see how it could have changed her. I am also wondered who she might have been thinking off while thinking about an husband at this stage. Hercules would have been a logical possibility but he had already been married with Astoria for almost two years by this stage.

One quick question tough: Director Scamander would be Theseus, correct?
That's hard to say. Typically Lucretia is not thinking about marriage yet, but it's always on her radar (maybe a prolonged betrothal). She does not want to be a housewife, after all, so getting married right after graduating Hogwarts and start having babies isn't a priority. But, as I said, she keeps marriage on her radar. Potential candidates could include Sullivan Travers and, if she's really desperate, her childhood friend Abraxas Malfoy, but most of the Sacred Twenty-Eight would do it, really.

Yes, I intended him to be Theseus, a.k.a. Dumbledore's attack dog according to the Blacks.

@phil03 you outdo yourself every post

Thank you *bowing* thank you!

Part IV is in progress and would probably be the longest by far, both because I can't find a place where I could cut it short and it would thematically fit and because I obviously have wayyyyyyyy more cannonical material to work with in term of context. It will follow Hercules until the end of the Second Wizarding War, which will also mark the victorious conclusion to his martial career. I toyed with a few titles but at the end I decided to go with his last battle cry, a slightly modified version of the one he fought under during the Global Wizarding War: ''For Freedom and For our Friends!''

Then there will be one last part, probably smaller, which will deal with his old age.

Last edited:
Part IV is in progress and would probably be the longest by far, both because I can't find a place where I could cut it short and it would thematically fit and because I obviously have wayyyyyyyy more cannonical material to work with in term of context. It will follow Hercules until the end of the Second Wizarding War, which will also mark the victorious conclusion to his martial career. I toyed with a few titles but at the end I decided to go with his last cry, a slightly modified version of the one he fought under during the Global Wizarding War: ''For Freedom and For our Friends!''
Don't forget Lucretia's funeral! :p

A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part IV, The Road to Broceliande
The next part was clocking at almost 12k words already so I decided to cut it in two. Part IV will follow Hercules until the Fall of the Ministry while Part V will bring the Second Wizarding War to an end. As previously mentionned, there would be a last part dealing with Hercules' old age.

Hope you enjoy it and happy Halloween :)

A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part IV, The Road to Broceliande

It took a long time for Hercules Greengrass to once more find taste in life but find taste in life he did. Plunging headlong in the upbringing of his many younger relatives who had lost one or both of their parents he was of all their lessons and all of their games. The sound of laughter was once more heard in Foxridge as he was through its corridors with one of his nephews, niece or grandchild sitting on his shoulders giggling. As he was becoming himself once more Hercules was visited by numerous old friends and comrades from the fight against Grindelwald who assisted him in his recovery. His cousin Tiberius McLaghen, magical herbologists and old housemates Maximus and Cixi Flume, his beloved old Head of House and famous actor Herbert Beery, former classmate and fellow veteran of the Global Wizarding War Lucretia Prewett, Auror and fellow veteran of the Global Wizarding War Lucian Kohr and editor, as well as former war correspondent Barnabas Cuffe regularly dropped by to Foxridge regularly during this period. At the end, however, it was the house elf Chryseus, his mother Arbela Greengrass and the magical historian Bathilda Bagshot who did the most to assist him.

During the years following the end of the war Chryseus proved to be an invaluable support to his former master, now employer. He could often be found insisting that feast and celebrations be held at every opportunity, talking as if nothing mattered more than him then such events while he, in fact, merely sought to distract Hercules. Arbela Greengrass, for her part, made it and habit to allude to anecdotes of his years at Hogwarts, of his relationships with Astoria, Perseus, Ulysses and others, leading the children to ask for these stories to be retold. As a result Hercules began to remember them as they lived, not as they had died. Moreover, the house-elf and the older witch were also grieving many of the same inviduals; he had someone to talk to who could understand his feelings and share them.

Bagshot, for her part, proved of much help by providing Hercules' mental energies with another outlet then reminiscing on the First British Wizarding War. Partly out of a sincere desire to help a Wizard whom she had held in some affection since its Hogwarts days but also because she truly valued his talents and potential as magical historian she managed to convince him that it was high time to give more time to his academic passion, as politics no longer stood in the way. Building on their past work, of several decades ago, they published a well-received biography of the Dark Wizard Ezkredis, before using the Greengrasses' family papers to publish the more exhaustive studies of Ulysses ''the Great'' Greengrass to ever see the light of day. The 1980's also saw them collaborate on a study of the foundation of the Ministry for Magic as well as Hercules serve as a consultant in everything related to magical warfare in the latest revised edition of A History of Magic.

The 1980s also proved to be a period of deepened ties with his muggle and squib as one of Aeneas Greengrass' granddaughter, Margaret Greengrass, began to show unmistakable signs of magic around her fifth birthday. Her granduncle was therefore called upon to help guide her in her entry into the Wizarding World. As a result she quickly created deep ties with her relatives and soon joined them in their game in Hogsmeade, providing Hercules with ample opportunities to talk with the other side of the family. He proved particularly eager to hear of the Global Muggle War; or rather the muggle front of the Global War as he was won't to call it, due to his past experiences while they were entrapped by the tales he recounted of the fight against Grindelwald.

Unfortunately the decade did not see any true rapprochement between Hercules and Hector Greengrass. During all family gatherings when the two wizards where present, often convinced to be by Hector's wife, Constantia Safiq, who had managed to maintain a good relationship with her father in-law, the tension could be felt in the air. Hector's daughters, Daphne and Astoria, were put in a most awkward situation as a result. By all accounts the older remained closer to her father, tough she and her grandfather were never anything but cordial with each other. Astoria, on the other hand, proved to be instinctively more to embrace the Purism of her father. While she had done so in her early childhood she grew sceptical of it more quickly then she simply grew. By the time she received her Hogwarts letter she often struggled to hide the visceral dislike she had acquired for most of her father's friends. By contrast she and her grandfather always got along splendidly, quickly bounding over a shared taste for academic pursuits in general and for History of Magic in particular. While he loved each of them most who knew him well would privately agree that Astoria quickly became Hercules' favourite grandchild. This state of affairs was no doubt helped by the fact that those who knew his late wife all agreed her younger namesake was the closest to her in personality out of all her descendants.

Astoria's soon evident preference for her grandfather caused no end of conflicts between with her father. During her early childhood these conflicts remained manageable but her arrival at Hogwarts, quick shorting into Ravenclaw and gaining of several muggleborn friends lighted the powder keg and her time back at home became filled with frequent scenes between her and her father. Things came to a head when she was 12, during a Christmas break. One morning she rose up and announced she was going to visit one of her muggleborn friends. Hector Greengrass forbade it, instead asking that she attend one of the dinners he liked to organise with some of his friends and their families, in a transparent attempt to get Astoria to make friends he deemed suitable. The argument who followed eventually lead Hector's to probably much more of his feelings that he probably intended, as he, unjustly, blamed his father for dragging his mother into his war and for latter failing to protect her against Voldemort. His daughter replied, far more rightfully, that by anything she had heard of her namesake she was very much her own witch and that it was unfair to blame granddaddy Herc for failing in front of the most terrible Dark Wizard Britain had ever produced. In fact, she continued, if anyone was to blame for her grandmother's death except Voldemort himself it was wizards and witches like the very friends her father wanted her to be polite to! It was Hector Greengrass who had the last word however; as he declared that if Astoria loved her grandfather so much it would probably be best for her to love with him. On the following day she moved to Foxridge and joined the happy band already residing there. In later years every single one of them would become prefect, a most remarkable turn of events although one who was no doubt due at least in part to Dumbledore's yearnings for reconciliation with his former student. One of them in particular, Ernie MacMillan, took enough after his grandfather in the way he naturally took leadership over his housemates that, remembering the old days, Rubeus Hagrid quickly gave him the nickname of Lord Huffelpuff.

Hercules Greengrass had once been one of the foremost figures of Wizarding Britain's politics but his political life had, at least, seemingly come to an end. Retired to private existence he had seemingly found contentment, and even some happiness, in a simpler life, surrounded by his books and his surviving relatives and attending to both. In such circumstances the death of Lucretia Prewett (née Black) from a sudden illness seemed like an end onto itself. Both because of the Queen of Hogwarts she had once been and because she had seemed to be, for all intent and purposes, the last member of the Black Family still alive, free and seeing herself as such. Her inheritance was fiercely fought for through all legal avenues, not for the few antics and books she left Hercules in remembrance of the momentous events they had both taken part of both but for the content of her vault at Gringots. Determined to add it to his own fortune or at the very least to withhold it from the Weasleys and the Tonks, Lucius Malfoy used all his contacts and influence at the Ministry to see the succession settled according to his tastes. In this he succeeded and, as he refused to provide much gold for Lucretia's funerals it seemed as if the grand and accomplished would not get the farewell she deserved and would have undoubtedly wanted, for neither the Tonks or the Weasleys could easily afford it. At the end it was Hercules himself, for the honorable role ''Crecy'' had played during the opening of the Chamber and in two wars, and Sullivan Travers, because of the feelings he still held for her after all those years, who footed the bill. Lucretia Prewett was sent to Avalon with all due pomp, where she would rest alongside her husband. As many wizards and witches with whom she had studies during the 1940s accompanied her on her last journey the event became a reunion of a short, and Hercules spent much of the reception speaking to old friends and acquaintances. The past now seemed truly dead and as he returned to Foxridge he fully expected to spend the rest of his life away from the eyes of the world. Then news came from Hogwarts showing that the past was, in fact, very much alive yet. Hercules' political career began to rise from its coffin and, in the hard years ahead, he often wished many of those he know and who already departed would still be on his side of the veil to fight at his side. The witch he had once been unable to trust was far from the last in such thoughts.

Having played a significant role in the events surrounding the first opening of the Chamber of Secrets Hercules found his advice sought by many, his dislike of Lucius Malfoy, who proved to be stronger than his old feud with Dumbledore, encouraging him to once more began to regularly attend meetings of the Wizengamot and the Board of Governors to help hinder his attempt to reorganise Hogwarts to his tastes. His very presence helped to reduce whatever efficiency Malfoy's threats of curses against the families of other members of the board. To try to counterattacks Malfoy attempted to imply that Greengrass' talents in that regard were a thing of the past and that he was too old to properly assess the situation. Such insinuation lead Greengrass to answer with a charming tone that he would be more than willing to dissipate any worries Malfoy had as to whether he was still his old self on the nearest duelling yard, on a friendly basis of course. Most of those presents, including many who were otherwise sympathetic to Malfoy's aims, his face at the suggestion was a sight to behold. Hercules' comeback only continued the following as his opposition the Dementors' presence at Hogwarts, born from the distrust he had for them since seeing them fight for Grindelwald, was at first ignored but latter proved prescient. Many began to look at the old warrior as a kind of elder statesman, a wizard who would no longer be at the center of events but whose advices were wise and highly coveted. Using this revival in prestige Hercules' managed to repair a great mistake: a few days after the Basilisks' demise Rubeus Hagrid's expulsion, and therefore his interdiction to wield a wand and his banning from a teaching position at Hogwarts, was quashed. Still, even with those events few, least of all Hercules he, would have predicted what was to follow in 1994 and in the following year.

A few days before the final of the Quidditch World Cup the Bulgarian team and its supporters honoured Hercules Greengrass. For them the events of the last decade palled in comparison with the memory of the Global Wizarding War and Hercules Greengrass remained the wizard who had whisked them away from Grindelwald's clutches. As such they cheered him widely and seeker Viktor Krum gave a speech stating that winning a hundred World Cups would not even approach what the guest of honour had done for Bulgaria. The whole of Wizarding Britain was therefore remembered of his past deeds. Ceremonies mattered little, however, compared to what took place a few days later. As the Death Eaters made their first assault many fearful Bulgarian fans naturally turned toward him. Old reflexes kicked him and, before he could even notice it, he found himself at head of a horde of thoroughly pissed off Quidditch fans, barking orders in posh English and in a rudimentary Bulgarian he had acquired back in the 1940s. In no small part thanks to his actions the Death Eaters were driven back and many lives saved. The relic of another time had suddenly begun to appear quite relevant to the present once more.

Worried about what such an event could hide he spent most of his time lobbying privately for a thorough investigation, speaking to all those in the Ministry willing to hear out. For many months he met with nothing but polite refusals and reassuring platitudes but he persevered nonetheless, going from merely trying to convince to use whatever influence he had to pressure those in position of power. His determination only grew after the tragic events who marked the end of the Triwizard Tournament, especially as it was reported to him that, in his last days, the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement had several seemingly attempted to convince others to bring Hercules to Hogwarts post-haste (1). In the first signs of Fudge's tragically cowardly policy he found most doors closed as rumours, latter proven to have come from the Minister's Office itself began to circulate according to which the grief he had experienced had compromised his grip on reality. Still, in spite of those rumours the fact that a wizard with a long and distinguished history in fighting dark wizards and witches, who also could not be described as Dumbledore's man, did make an impression. A political following began to reform against Greengrass, made of individuals who had either once been in his family's clientele or newcomers, those who had entered it were at this stage unwilling to embrace Dumbledore as their leader and/or fully accept the idea of Voldemort's return but nonetheless find Hercules' request to further look into what were, after all, very worrisome events rather reasonable. Famously, Greengrass' backroom dealings and arm twisting proved crucial in securing the Boy Who Lived's acquittal at his trial for illegal use of underage magic.

As time went by and the bloody incidents caused by Riddle and his servants multiplied the ranks of the Foxes, named in that manner to honour their leader, only grew while their rhetoric grew bolder, stating that, whoever was responsible for the events of the last month a war might very well be coming and that the Ministry needed to prepare. At the end, however, it was the events at Hogwarts who destroyed even the pretence of cordiality between the two former housemates. We will probably never know who sent Hercules pictures of the scars Dolores Umbridge's punishments had inflicted on several of his grandchildren, although many have theorized that future Minister for Magic Hermione Weasley (then Granger) was responsible, but there is no doubt as to his reaction. So enraged was he that some who were present when he received that particular letter would latter swore that the candles and lamps of Foxridge seemed to burn brighter for a few instants... Utterly enraged he publicly denounced Fudge at the Wizengamot through a thunderous speech, going as far as comparing Umbridge's methods to those used by Grindelwald's servants at Durmstrang during the time of his domination. Severely damaged politically, Fudge and his allies attempted to counterattack with a campaign of demonization through the press the like of which Dumbledore and Potter had already suffered. In that regard they soon met with a major obstacle, however, as Barnabas Cuffe, already prey to scruples of conscience for the role the Prophet was playing, simply refusing to go after a Wizard with whom he had lived through so much, preferring to resign. Many of his colleagues followed him and found a temporary home in the Quibbler, who was able to dramatically increase the size of its staff thanks to a large influx of Greengrass and, more discretely, Bones gold.

Soon, and despite the fact that the conflict between the two Wizards was not yet resolved, even if it had significantly lessened in intensity, there was no functional differences between the Wizards and Witches surrounding Hercules Greengrass and those, more numerous, who had instead put their trust in Albus Dumbledore. This turn of events owed much to the work of Hercules' cousin, Tiberius McLaghen, who during those months was working tirelessly to bring a rapprochement between the two wizards and unify their respective supporters into a broader War Party inside the Ministry. At every meeting of the Wizengamot the former delivered passionate speeches castigating Cornelius Fudge for his irresponsibility, incompetence and cowardice as well as blaming him for the tragedies that, according to him, were soon to come, to the point that in the following years Hercules' role as the strong and wise voice of dissent in face of dissent was compared with the role Spencer-Moon played against Fawley in the early to mid-30s.

Such a role only made his younger relatives at Hogwarts more of a target to Umbridge's exactions then they already were, in many regards allowing her to indulge in her desire of taking revenge on behalf of her great aunt, Vesta Selwin, a witch of low intellectual and magical gifts who had once desired to become Lady Greengrass despite the fact Hercules did not reciprocate, on the elder Astoria's descendants. The Greengrass kids' spirits were not broken, however and, in one of the few instances where Umbridge let such motives slip, Thrasybulus Greengrass showed that he was, indeed, truly a Gryffindor by shouting back that his grandmother was superior to Umbridge's grandmother in every way that mattered. It also, however, made him rather popular among the vast majority of Hogwarts' students who despised Umbridge, and in particular with the members of Dumbeldore Army. Many of them would speak in later years of how the sound of the voice of the old Ravenclaw would cause them to gather around the radio, cheering and laughing at the most pointed lines he delivered against Fudge and his supporters. The Ravenclaws in particular, who could not boast of having Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore or Cedric Digory among those shorted in their house, often took great pride in Hercules having been one of them.

Visited by Dumbledore upon his flight from Hogwarts Hercules agreed, in spite of some of his long held misgivings toward the Headmaster to be, at last, initiated into the Order of the Phoenix. The following weeks were spent preparing for what he now fully accepted was the second war against Voldemort. Members of the Order of Phoenix were taught all tricks he could teach while he also learned a few new ones from some of them, did what he could to mobilise his own supporters for the fight and attempted to make as good a use as possible of his international contacts. Then came the fateful day: upon learning that the Boy Who Lived and his closest friends were heading to the Ministry through her friend and housemate, Luna Lovegood, Astoria Greengrass could smell the trap but knew that she stood no chance to dissuade them. Instead she retrieved the two-way mirrors her grandfather had managed to smuggle into the school and that she and her relatives had managed to hide from the Inquisitorial Squad. Informed of what was about to pass Hercules relayed the message to Dumbledore and found Cornelius Fudge to ask of him to call all Aurors available, temporarily put them under Hercules' command and follow them back to the Ministry. It took some time to convince him but, as Rufus Scrimgeous helpfully pointed out to all those present, there were only two alternatives: either Greengrass was wrong and he and Fudge's other opponents would be justly ridiculed, or he was right and the Aurors would be indeed needed at the Ministry. Thus it was that they arrived at the end of the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, too late to prevent Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange's flight but just in time to witness it and capture the other Death Eaters present. It fell to Greengrass to be the first to speak to the press, resuming the situation in a speech he famously concludes by ''and if the God of the Muggles exist may he be with because, by Melin Beard, we will need all the help we can get!''

From these events Hercules emerged with his reputation and popularity restored to their summit of the late 40s and early 50s and then some. Many of the very same person who had denigrated him as a wizard of the past, a broken man, were now among those who hailed him as the hero of the three wars, the greatest Ravenclaw alive, and demanded that a wizard of such evident wisdom when came the time to fight the gravest of threats be put in a position where he could help save Wizarding Britain. In some occasions his very arrival in shops and taverns lead the patrons already present to erupt into cheers! Thus, when she was about to make her own bid for the Ministry Amelia Bones was asked what role, if any, she envisioned for Hercules Greengrass under her future Ministry. Without hesitation she answered that ''If he is willing he wants him to be to me what his father was to Spencer-Moon. Together we can remake the Rainbow Ministry and it would prevail against You Know Who, just like it did against Grindelwald!'' Sadly, Riddle and his servants were determined to net let such a thing happen.

Bones and Greengrass had both been the targets of assassination attempts by some of Riddle's lesser servants, desirous as many of them were to attract the favour of their master with a daring strike. Powerful wards, bodyguards, caution and their inner magical might had protected them for a time but decision was made by the Dark Lord that both needed to die, their demise being coveted above all others save for Dumbledore and Potter themselves. Riddle could not be the one slew both, however, for he had decided that their assassinations needed to happen simultaneously, to prevent one or the other to find shelter in the Ministry's most well-defended location or even at Hogwarts alongside Dumbledore upon hearing of their ally's demise. By all accounts, Riddle instincts inclined toward personally ensuring the death of the wizard who he still very much hated for the events surrounding the Death Eaters' Feast but among his lackeys hatred for the Bones still ran deep and high. With all their strength they argued that it was Amelia Bones' death which was needed above all else, for, they argued, there was none who knew the Ministry of the era, its employees and those wielding influence inside it and there was none who could seemingly unify all their enemies. Uncharacteristically the Dark Lord allowed himself to be swayed which, in all probability saved Hercules' life.

That was not to say that a grave danger was not threatening him, however. Ten Death Eaters' were assigned to Greengrass' assassination. Among them were figures such as Malvortus Selwin, Calverinus Travers (grandson of Hercules' schoolyears rival), Bellorophon Greengrass (Hercules' traitorous cousin) and, above all, Bellatrix Lestrange, each of them bearing name infamous for being among Voldemort's most cruel and feared Death Eaters, together they laid the trap that was almost the end of Hercules Greengrass. Two years before, as he was apprehensively seeing the clouds of war gather once more, Greengrass had, among other things, attempted to take many of the same steps then Dumbledore, including working to create an intelligence network in areas of Wizarding Britain's society whose discontent could be exploited by the ill-intentioned. By the summer of 1996 it had been absorbed by the Order's larger network, for Greengrass was after all one of its members now, but Hercules nonetheless still attended to some assets he had recruited personally. Thus it was that, on what had been until then a beautiful summer day where the war could almost be forgotten, a message was brought by a familiar Patronus. It belonged to Calvin Baelstroom, a Werewolf descending from a family who had fled to Britain to escape Grindelwald and had latter decided to stay. As they had been assisted financially in the process by the late Achilles Greengrass they had stayed close to the family and Calvin had been recruited by Hercules to keep an eye on Greyback and attempt to covertly undermine him among his fellow Werewolves and, according to his Patronus, needed to meet Hercules in private in the usual location.

While he would only learn latter that Calvin had been detected and put under the Imperius Curse to lay the trap before being killed it nonetheless took him only a few seconds to understand that somebody was profoundly amiss. In a stroke of luck he quickly glimpsed a Death Eaters' mask in one of the windows of shack where he was to meet Calvin. As he immediately tried to apparate away he could feel the resistance of powerful wards and, immediately understanding what was about to come, spend his last seconds before the assault sending a call to help to both Foxridge and Grimmaud Place, hoping help would come before the door in was well and truly closed by his assailants. In the end help did, indeed, come: from Hercules' home came his mother, who showed that the duel champion she had been in her youth still lived, the house-elf Chryseus, who showed the magic of his kind was only underestimated at one's peril, and his grandson Clisthenes and Atalante, who showed they had well learned the lessons he had once gave them for their own defense. From Grimmaud Place came four formidable fighters: Kingsley Shackleboth, Emeline Vance, Lucian Kohr and Gawain Ashcroft, Hercules's unhappy romantic rival during their school days and latter famous Quidditch star. Unprepared for a fair fight the Death Eaters saw control of the situation quickly escape them and left four of their numbers dead. With the Battle of the Department of Mysteries the Battle of the Hollow Shack was one of the few victories the enemies of evil scored in those dark months.
In a gruesome demonstration of the dueling, and more particularly for the enchantment of air, talent that had allowed Greengrass to survive so long Belorophon Greengrass, disowned member of Hercules' family, had seen the air he was inhaling weaponised against him. As it was turned into blades his throat had been opened from the inside (2).

Fighting at one against ten for a time had taken a terrible toll on Hercules, however, and as he finally managed to stumble far away from the wards charmed to trap him to be able to apparate away he was covered in his own blood. As he was about to flee at last he was confronted by a cruel dilemma: grievously injured he would not be able to defend himself for the time being and as his death was greatly desired by Riddle, the very identity of the Death Eaters sent against him showing as much, no place in Wizarding Britain could be deemed secured. No matter where in Wizarding Britain he would hide Hercules would depend on the strength of others for his survival, which might very well means forcing those willing to defend him to fight Riddle. If, on the other, hand he tried to find refuge in the muggle world his chances to survive his injuries would diminish dramatically.

Fortunately for him, Greengrass knew of a place that was neither truly a part of neither worlds and yet seemed to belong to both. As his family's gold had ensured that he would receive as good an education as the Muggle World could afford, and because of his own qualities, Aeneas Greengrass had done well for himself. Already functioning as a key point of contacts between the two ministries as both global wars raged he had risen throughout the rank of the muggle army in the following years, eventually being granted the title of general. Both for his own services to the muggle government and because of the influence wielded by his relatives Aeneas had also been granted command of the Special Affairs Bureau, the division of the muggle government tasked with keeping an eye on the coming and going of the Wizarding World as much as their means would allow. Betting, wisely as it turned out, that Voldemort's disdain for muggles and squibs would protect his brother Hercules appeared next to his house. A healer was quickly, yet secretly, summoned and managed to stabilise Hercules' condition. A few days later he was deemed well enough to be transferred to the relative safety of magical France, where he would receive further treatment. For many long months he would remain confined to an obstacle bed, powerless to do anything as events continued to involve in an ever more dreadful direction across the channel. It would take the best care his world have to offer, the kind of which would only be available to a wizard of his wealth, but Hercules would recover, his physicality and his appearances both intact. Potions to dull the pain would need to be taken for the rest of his life but the obstacle Hercules represented on Voldemort's path remained intact, the Ravenclaw being only temporarily incapacited. The assassination attempt had failed (3).

As his recovery was coming to an end Hercules was visited by Albus Dumbledore himself. There the two wizards, meeting for the last time, finally made their peace. There the headmaster also revealed to his own student Voldemort's true identity and convinced him that the fall of the Ministry was unavoidable (4). From his sick bed Hercules spent the next month's doing what he could to ensure that the Dark Lord's enemies could continue to operate outside the law when the time would come. Moreover, the bulk of the Greengrasses' wealth, departed from Gringott's Londonese headquarters for its Paris branch. The wealth of the Bones quickly followed for, in the absence of any living relatives in the Wizarding World, Amelia Bones' will had tasked her new political ally with protecting the interests and ensuring the security of her niece Susan should the worst happen. Moreover, and as much as it proved possible, Foxridge was emptied from its content. Luxury furniture's and cutleries, artifacts, books and jewelleries were all packed and sent to France. Portraits and tapestries quickly followed, even when they needed to be ripped from the walls. Thankfully it had long been the custom of the Greengrasses to burn their dead's, for thus their bodies could not be used for foul forms of magic, and no coffin followed. In the crypt bellow Foxridge's halls, however, statues of the dead's stood, honouring and reminding the living who they are. These too were sent across the water, with particular care to ensure that not even the smallest damage be inflicted in transport to those of Hercules glorious ancestor, Ulysses ''the Great'' Greengrass and of Achilles and Astoria. Only an empty husk needed to be left when Riddle would presumably turn the manor to Bellorophon. As Hercules' wayward cousin indeed took possession of the manor he found a letter left for him and enjoining him to enjoy his new home will he still could for, the letter stated threateningly, its true owner would return.

Then came the even the event who, by far, was the darkest among the harbinger of things to come: Albus Dumbledore himself, the Greatest Wizarding since Merlin, fell, seemingly assassinated. By all accounts Hercules wept bitter tears for the man with whom he had only recently reconciled. There was no time to dwell on grief, however, for the implications were simply too grave: with the possible exception of Grindelwald, still alive in Nurmengard, Riddle was now the most powerful Wizard alive and news coming from his contacts in the Ministry showed that the situation was only worsening. Thus came the time for the wider clan to rejoin Hercules. Thrasybulus first crossed the Channel, bringing with his cousin Astoria whom was to continue her education under private tutors until events had calmed. Hercules' nephews, Atalante and Achilles, quickly followed, the latter bringing his infant son and his wife with him. Hercules McLaghen's cousins, for the most part, also joined the movement. Not all had yet come to France, however, for Clisthenes Greengrass and Tiberius McLaghen had stayed behind with Hercules' approval to do what they could to prepare for the even darker times ahead and, for the latter, in the hope against hope that the tides of shadows could yet be stopped. For more frustrating to Hercules was the fact that his grandson Ernie MacMillan and Ernie's mother, Andromache, refused to follow, for the Huffelpuff prefect refused to abandon the very housemates who were seeing him as their leader while his mother refused to abandon him. When an angry Greengrass was told by Morris Warbeck, another Ravenclaw Prefect when the Chamber was first opened, wryly remarked that Hercules would probably have done the same thing in his own prefect days he muttered an unhappy agreement. Other individuals and their families were also, smuggled outside of Britain during those last weeks before the lights went out, most of these well-known by Hercules who sought to protect them from Riddle better than they could themselves and often believed he could use their talents in the months ahead. In most cases such smuggling took place without incidents, the most notable exception being a skirmish between Clisthenes Greengrass and Lucian Kohr on one side and two Death Eaters sent to kill the Prophet Editor and old friend of the Greengrasses, Barnabas Cuffe, on the other. In spite of a deluge of letters from Hercules asking her to let herself be evacuated Bathilda Bagshot refused, stating that at her old age she couldn't bear to leave her home with no clear prospect of returning. She thus sealed her own fate.

The details of the coup which granted Riddle control of the Ministry are beyond our scope. For our purpose it is sufficient to say that, after a short fight in the corridors of the Ministry late at night, the coup being launched then to ensure that what happened would not be clear immediately to the wider public, it fell to the hand of the Death Eaters. Clisthenes Greengrass fought well on that night, showing that he was his grandparents' grandson, and so did Tiberius McLaghen, who gave lie to his own deprecatory comments according to which he couldn't truly fight to save his life. Through their bravery they managed to keep a fireplace open for long minutes, allowing many to escapes. Good Gryffindor that he was McLaghen was willing to fight to the end but Clisthenes had more wisdom, Ravenclaw that he was. Yelling that the war was only beginning, that Hercules grandfather would need him to help win it and that he would bring Tiberius to him alive, even if he needed to stupefy him to do it. Both Wizards were among the last to leave the Ministry and arrived to Hercules' burgeoning headquarters, deep in Broceliande Forest, a day later. All over Britain Voldemort's enemies were killed, captured, forced to fly or hide, cowed into submission or forced to fake compliance while they tried to see how they could continue the fight. The Dark Lord seemed to have won.

They were those who refused to accept Riddle's victory, however, and Hercules Greengrass was one of them. At last fully recovered and, in spite of the pain and incomfort he would feel ever after, once more in full disposition of his magical, intellectual and physical capacities he gathered the most preeminent of the British exiles in the French estate he had recently bought and, with the tacit support of the French Ministry, began to lay the groundwork for the formation of the Temporary Council for the Restoration of Wizarding's Britain Legal Ministry, or the Council as it quickly became known, and for rising exiles and volunteers to return home, wands in hand (5). A declaration was soon in the work but far it was released words had already leaked that Hercules Greengrass was raising an army. Many among the exiles soon began to make their way toward him. Whatever his faults and his past mistakes his name was widely known as belonging to a fierce and mighty enemy of both Grindelwald and Riddle and to a wizard who, at a terrible price to himself, had humiliated Voldemort at the Feast. In those desperate moments his very survival was a rare ray of hope and he seemed to be the living embodiment of the fact that, in spite of all the horrors committed by so many of their scions, there was honor yet among the old families.

And yet, the British exiles where dwarfed by foreign volunteers who were to soon arrive, most of those coming from the Balkans and Hungary. For them Hercules and Astoria Greengrass remained above all the Lord of Battles and the Lady of Victories, the great captains who had freed their corner of the Wizarding World from Grindelwald. For the oldest among them they were the Wizard and the Witches who had lead them to splendid victories while the youngest had, during their childhoods, often been told many tales of the deeds of the Greengrasses' deeds. To see Astoria Greengrass' murderers seemingly victorious and her husband driven into exile had angered them greatly, to say the least. They took pity on the old battlemage and they would help him return home in the only way that was fitting and avenge his Lady of Victories, who was also theirs. Having bribed his way out of the Britain the famous Seeker Viktor Krum was the first Balkanic wizard of renown to join force with the Council but he was hardly the last. Famously, upon hearing that an army was gathering the head of the Transylvanian Department of Magical Law Enforcement herself resigned and began to prepare for her departure for Brittany. In many regards it was an old Centaur from the Black Forest, who had been freed from Ostravenberg by Leach and Greengrass, who resumed rather well the state of mind of many foreign volunteers. Upon being asked why he and some other members of his communities were preparing to make their way toward Broceliande he answered that ''since 1945 we have been owing the regretted late Herr Leach and the then young Von Greengrass a great debt. I intend to see some of it repaid!'' Still, in spite of such supports there was a long way ahead before Hercules could pretend to have anywhere near what would be needed to break Riddle's strength but it was a start and more would come.

Perhaps frightened by these developments Riddle sent Greengrass a message stating that, despite all that had happened; he would still be welcomed with open arms among the Death Eaters. Even more, to Hercules was to be granted the title of Dark Marshall and tactical command of Voldemort's armies. His Half-blood and Muggleborn relatives, whether by blood or marriage, were to be granted the status of honorary Purebloods. It is still unknown whether the offer was sincere or a mere trap but Hercules was never tempted by it and answered that Riddle would have been better served by using the paper in which it was written to commit act we shall not repeat here. Greengrass' true answer came a few days later, however, for as words of the coming of many fighters was arriving to Broceliande, Hercules and those surrounding him quickly agreed that it was high time to no longer rely on rumours and to, at last, declare to the Wizarding World what the Council stood for. Fortunately, even at such an early stage enough contact had been established with the internal resistance for Potterwatch to relay the speech he was about to make. As the Call to Hope, as it would became known as, remain better known in Britain than any other episode in Hercules' life except for one we believe it is warranted to quote it here:

''My brothers and sisters in Magic,
A few weeks ago a so called Dark Lord and his lackeys have invaded Britain's Ministry, slain many good and noble wizards and witches and seized power. Centuries old law and institutions have proved powerless to resist to raw magical might.
Unlike some more cowardly souls, or perhaps some who may in their heart of hearts sympathise with Voldemort, I do not pronounce these words to incite to resignation but rather as an appeal to action. I do not utter them to bring some to succumb to despair's perverse songs but rather as a call to hope.
The war is far from over.
The great Albus Dumbledore might have been assassinated by the hand of he who he trusted but the Boy who Lived is still with us and is no doubt working to strike powerful blows against the enemy.
The valiant auror Alastor Moody might have died wand in hand and the Order of the Phoenix forced into hiding but Kingsley Shackelboth is a worthy successor and the Order will re-emerge in due time, stronger and more powerful.
Minister Scrimgeour might have died a martyr's death but I STILL LIVE and around me have gathered Wizards and Witches of talent and characters who, not because we consider ourselves better or more deserving but simply because who are able to gather and speak openly, will ensure that there would be a voice in the world speaking for the true interests of Wizarding Britain in these dark times.
What strength wielded in the name of a tyrant and of the most disgusting of political beliefs has made an even greater strength wielded in the name of freedom and justice can unmake. There had laid the salvation of our world in the days of my youth and there, I do not doubt it for an instant, would it lie again.
The flame of resistance cannot and will not be allowed to go out. I have no doubt that we will prevail. Prevail not only against Voldie and his servants but also against this poisonous ideology that has so often turned wizards and witches into monstrous perversions of what wand wielders should be! We cannot eliminate it from all minds, for such a power is beyond any magic, but we can, must and will end it as a political force in Britain.
We are not alone in our just fight. Ministries from across the continents and even Muggle governments have contacted us to express their support (6), although what the later can do is naturally constrained by the demands of the Statute. Many braves' volunteers from the four corners of our world have also come or are coming to our assistance. Wizards and witches, aye, but also Goblins, Centaurs, House-Elves, Hags, Veelas, Merpeoples and Vampires!
Words cannot express the gratitude Wizarding Britain feel at such supports!
Onward my friends! We will fight side by side until victory is ours!''

As a piece of oratory the Call left to be desired as, like many others of Hercules' speeches, it was sometimes stilted and pompous. In the climate of 1997 such considerations did not matter much, however. What did matter was the fighting tone of the address and the fact that it, at last, unambiguously stated the political creed of all who would continue the fight against Riddle: the Thicknese's Ministry had no legal or moral authority for it had merely been established through forces and it was not only a right but a duty to fight it and Riddle to re-establish the true Ministry of Wizarding Britain, as well as to destroy the political strength of ''that poisonous ideology'', by which Hercules probably spoke of Purism itself but in which one could easily understand as merely being Purist Extremism if they so choose. In a real sense the Call was a declaration of uprising and while he never claimed the title it was during the days that followed the Call that Scottish Muggleborns remembering the pretenders of old gave Hercules the nickname under which he would be known for the rest of the war: the Minister Across the Water.

(1) Basically Crouch Sr. was trying to warn him about his son and tell him what he was planning.
(2) As far as magic uses goes this one is questionable but considering Harry himself ended up using the Cruciatus and the Imperius Curses in this war I do feel it fit with the themes of the last three books in that regard.
(3) This one instance were the narrator might be a bit biased, as getting Hercules out of the picture for long months was not an insignificant result, even it obviously fell short of what Riddle wanted and that he would be pay for that down the line.
(4) Basically Dumbledore is placing an extra piece on the chessboard of his grandplan here...
(5) Alright, this is probably the part of the whole story I am the most nervous about since it goes the furthest into headcanon/fanon. The books do speak of getting out of the country a few times, however, from which it can reasonably be guessed that they're was more then a few exiles. Moreover, having these exiles organise politically in a government in exile of a short does fit the clear paralel between Wizarding Britain during the Year of Darkness and occupied Europe during WWII. Therefore, I would argue that Hercules role here is quite compatible with both the letter and spirit of canon.
(6) Obviously its pretty much only moral support, at most they may help financially some of those who decide to hide in the Muggle World, but Hercules tought it sounded well in the speech.

Last edited:
A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part V, ''Onward Soldiers of the Light!''
A Short Biography of Hercules Greengrass: Part V, ''Onward Soldiers of the Light!''

For many in Wizarding Britain's Hercules words had ringed true and they had therefore given him a greater place in their imaginations then ever before. During those terrible months' wizards and witches whose souls were true would often gather and, in hushed voices, speak of when the Boy who Lived would come out of hiding to lead them to victory and freedom and, in such conversations, there was also one to speak of how Greengrass and his army would return from France then. In many regards the most eloquent testimony of his newlyfound status among those persecuted during the Year of Darkness could be found in a production of a play by the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, Richard III, who had been organised by muggleborns reduced to poverty after having seen their wands taken away. At the time the Death Eaters payed little mind to it but if they had done so they might have noticed that the valiant young noble who freed England from evil King Richard had undisciplined black hair and green eye and that the old, noble and wise lord whose defection at the critical moment made victory in the climactic battle possible had a posh accent, grey-ish blue eyes, was tall and lean and still have pale brown strays in the middle of his silver hairs.

In spite of the fighting words the Call contained there was a real division as to which methods the Council should employ to bring Riddle's down. To be sure, some items did not demands much discussion as all agreed that it was common sense to preserve and further build upon the assets they could still count upon inside the Ministry, to create and organise networks of safe houses that would allow Voldemort's enemies to hide and escape Britain and to continue the diplomatic struggle to further isolate the current Ministry and gain more foreign support against it. No, it was the army that was now assembling and drilling under their command who had become the object of the fiercest debates, or rather how to use it. Some openly advocated taking a page out of the enemy's book, although without imitating its sheer brutality and its willingness to kill civilians, and send strike teams across the Channel to conduct attacks on the supporters of the regime. Others, more cautious, objected for they feared the collateral damages such operations might cause, the reprisals Riddle might conduct and the consequences the Council might suffer on the diplomatic front. Better to continue to undermine Riddle from the shadows and on the diplomatic front while continue to build up an army able to destroy him in open battle. At the end it was Hercules himself who took the final decision: the worries of the more cautious were well noted but the advocates of a more aggressive course of action also had a point when they stated that they did need to strike back in some capacity, for their own credibility and for the morale of the peoples back home if nothing else. Thus a compromise was struck: Death Eaters and individuals who were actively and directly engaged in violence against the Dark Lord enemies were considered legitimate targets. Installations of the Ministry, or of their collaborators, could also be attacked but, in both cases, avoiding civilian casualties was considered paramount. Moreover, and while disguise would obviously be needed to get where they needed to be and to flee, when the time would come to carry out whatever was planned it needed to be done openly and in full sight if possible.

To speak of all the deeds of the Hopebringers, as they were nicknamed by the wider population of Wizarding Britain for the news of their actions was often much needed tonic for their morale, would be far beyond our purpose but we believe we must nonetheless give a taste to the reader. We will therefore quickly retold three of such operations that we consider rather typical, alongside the much more famous Azkaban Raid. On November 27, 1997 a detachment sent from France arrived at a printer shop in Diagon Alley. After stupefying the guards they proceeded to burn the place to the ground, alongside the many leaflets of Purist propaganda who were stockpiling in it. As a warning was also issued through Potterwatch that any other shop taking such a contract would suffer the same faith the attack significantly impended the Death Eaters' ability to spout their vile ideology and forced them to spend far more of their resources to protect the new printing shop publishing their flyers, leaflets and posters. Late in the evening of February 11, 1998 three wizards and two witches, all rather elderly, were having a rather well watered diner in one of Hogsmeade's most reputed restaurant. Underneath the rather pompous name they had been given by the Ministry these five veterans of the Global Wizarding War, on Grindelwald side, led by the infamous Arpus Runcorn, who had been freed from Azkaban upon Riddle's coming to power, were tasked with torturing the enemies of the regime brutalise those it deemed inferior. Their merrymaking was brutally interrupted, however, when a group sent by Hercules broke into the restaurant. One of the torturers was killed in the ensuing standoff by the four others were brought back to France and put on trial. The publicity that surrounded it did much to check those political figures in other countries who had been advocating for a normalisation of relationship with the current Ministry of Wizarding Britain. On March 3 the Hopebringers stroke again: a cargo of rare and very powerful Dark Artifacts had been brought to Britain from the four corners of the Wizarding World and its content had already been sold to leading Death Eaters. Before it could be delivered, however, fighters of the Council had successfully and secretly made their way to it, thanks to a clever use of the Polyjuice potion. The artifacts were destroyed and the money stolen.

Polyjuice potion also played a key role in another operation ordered from Broceliande, who both in scope and in consequence: the Azkaban Raid. To most of the outside world Hector Greengrass seemed to be, if not a true supporter of Riddle's pet ministry then at the very least quite willing to do its bidding to secure its own position, going as far as to accept a post in the Muggleborn Registration Commission. Some had their doubts as to his sincerity and loyalty, however since, as Corban Yaxley then grumbled: ''it is rather peculiar how many of M. Greengrass' accuseds have had a muggle mother who had a secret affair with a Wizard!'' but Hector's wealth was usually sufficient to deal with such suspicions through well placed bribes. That is not to say that they were not warranted, however, for unknown to most Hector was in fact in regular contact with his father and was providing him with intelligence as well as doing what he could to undermine Thicknesse's ministry from the inside. Whether he had truly renounced its Purists beliefs at this stage or simply recoiled in front of the extremism of the Death Eaters cannot be said but it is undeniable that to discover that his once close friend Lucius Malfoy was, in fact, truly a Death Eaters proved to be a beneficial shock for the younger Greengrass. In the months following the Battle of the Department of Mysteries he managed to sufficiently patch things up with his father to collaborate with him and was now doing as much as his position and gold allowed protecting the Muggleborns passing in front of him. Thus, when he learned that the Death Eaters were toying with the idea of starting to administer the Dementor's kiss to a few muggleborns in Azkaban, starting with those who had played the most important roles in the war against Riddle, in retaliation for the actions of the Order of the Phoenix and of Broceliande's fighters he quickly relayed the dire news to his father and begged to do something.

That something proved to be Operation Prometheus (Hercules' memory of the Global Wizarding War had lead him to keep providing operational names). Having managed to be named among the delegation who was to go to Azkaban on April 27, and having ensured that his daughter Daphne would be hidden before the decisive hour, Hector Greengrass managed to put its other members under the Imperius Curse and surreptitiously replace them with wizards and witches sent by his father, thanks to large doses of Polyjuice potion. Upon arriving at Azkaban they asked to be given the opportunity to interrogate the condemn one last time, in the pretended hope to gather important information. Once alone in a room with them, however, they pulled from the enchanted bag they had with them the very wands who had once been confiscated from them. Instantly understanding what was happening they joined their liberators in casting mighty Patronuses and began to free the other prisoners and give them wands as well. Upon their signal several dozens of Hopebringers who, from a safe distance, were waiting for them on brooms, poured on Azkaban. In mere minutes the human guardians of the prison were also overwhelmed and, helped by the island's isolation and the ward put around it, most of the prisoners who had surviving the fighting managed to escape. Those who didn't fought to the bitter end, afraid of a faith worst then death if they laid down their wands. Incidentally, the loses taken by the Death Eaters and Riddle's lesser servants to retake the island might have also saved some of the last captives they made, for they demonstrated how much the threat of such the Dementor's Kiss could backfire on the Death Eaters and therefore lead to rethink their decision to use it, for a few crucial days. The great breakout of 1997 had been surpassed and many of the escapees would fight on the frontlines a few days later, when the hour of truth did come.

As the afternoon of May 2 was underway and gave way to the evening Hercules Greengrass and the personalities surrounding him were blissfully unaware of the momentous events about to take place and of role they would soon play in them. Morale was high among the Council; its agents had managed to find their way to almost every rooms and offices inside Thicknesse's Ministry and were busily working to undermine it from the inside. The Azkaban Raid had lifted the Council's prestige to new heights, showed the excellence of its armed arm and seemed to promise a flow of new recruits in the near future. Most important of all, those political figures who had opposed them in other magical governments had been reduced to silence, most other magical communities had reduced their trade with Britain to a trickle, a development sure to trigger an economic crisis that would severely undermine the regime, and the perspective of a resolution by the International Wizarding Confederacy declaring that the rest of the Wizarding World needed to intervene in mass in Britain seemed closer than ever. Hercules could not share their good cheer for he feared for another of his children: his daughter Andromache. Having offered her residence as a temporary safe house for those who wanted or needed to make their way out of Britain she had been betrayed and, while she had managed to escape and go into hiding, her fate was unknown in France. Moreover, he was also mourning the death of Bathilda Bagshot, the news of the death of the Magical Historian and old friend of his having arrived to Broceliande sometimes before. The fact that his grandson Ernie had managed to hide, in the Requirement Room as it happen though that he didn't knew, before being arrested provided some relief to Hercules at least provided him some relief. Still, just like he had so often done in past wars he forced himself to forge ahead, discussing with the rest of the Council the next steps to follow, for some had been embolden by the events in Azkaban to the point where they believed the time of liberation might very well be at hand and that they didn't need the International Wizarding Confederation after all.

And then, in an instant, none of what they had discussed mattered anymore for it was announced that his granddaughter Daphne had, after spending a few days hidden by Hogwarts's Lake Merpeoples, made her way to Brittany. She was carrying a message from Hercules' old potion master, who had been recruited into his intelligence network a few months before and had played a key part in hiding Daphne, informing the Minister Across the Water of the events who just taken place at Hogwarts and telling him that the time had come to return to Britain.

The next hours were spent in a state of pandemonium where hope and fear seemed to inhabit each the hearts of those preparing to fight in equal measure. In the first moments, when the news from Hogwarts were still spreading across Britain and beyond, there had been some questions as to whom should lead the relief army that was beginning to gather, Hercules himself and Porpentina Scamander being the two names who most often came to lips for Theseus had been among those who had fell defending the ministry ten months. The debate did not last long, however, for the legendary American auror declared that ''M. Greengrass know the battlefield far better than I do. Let him do it!'' It thus fell to Hercules to coordinate as well as possible the ragtag group of Slytherin students, agents and supporters of both the Council and the Order and other personalities in their task as they attempted to gather a strong an army as possible to attack the Death Eaters and their allies at dawn, for Hercules doubted that, no matter their valiance, the defenders of Hogwarts could last longer than that.

Such a task must have seemed daunting but, in a small miracle, organisation emerged from chaos and all was indeed ready in time. The Great Relief Army, as it later became known was undoubtedly a sight to behold. Many in its ranks might have lacked experience but the well-drilled forces Hercules had brought with him from Brittany provided it with the hard core it needed and, distributed among its spine, stiffening its spine. Moreover, one look would have been sufficient for anybody to quickly recognise that it was gifted with an uncommon will to win and with numbers such had never been fielded since the tide of the Global Wizarding War had turned at Cançon in 1942. As the fighters under his command began to arrive on the Castle Ground news of Harry Potter's apparent death filtered in their ranks, shaking their faith in their eventual victory but only accentuating their determination. Whatever plan Hercules had before it was quickly scrapped as he surmised, correctly as was confirmed by intelligence he received, that Riddle would flaunt want to flaunt his victory by exposing the corps of his fallen enemy to those who had believed in him Riddle's own servants he reasoned that a priceless opportunity would soon present itself to trap Riddle's servant in mass, on exposed ground, between his own forces and Hogwarts' remaining defenders. Thus, in as much discretion and secrecy as was possible, orders were given to divide the army so that Riddle could be attacked from all sides and all retreat cut to his followers. The risk was great and surprise was paramount. In honour of the, to their knowledge, fallen Gryffindor the plan was christened Operation Thunderbolt.

We shall pause, at least for a time, before we truly plunge into battle alongside Hercules. It was in these waning moments of his time as Minister Across the Water, tough it had already become a misnomer, that Hercules was reunited with Andromache. Relieved beyond words to see her alive and well Hercules, at last, apologised to the daughter he had all too often overlooked for she was not as magically and intellectually gifted then he and his Astoria. Tearfully, Andromache accepted his apology. Soon it was Hercules', and Cleisthenes's for that matter, turn to receive apologies, however, for Hector had also made his way to the final battle, alongside several escapees from Azkaban. Whatever he might have believed even a few days before what he had seen in Azkaban and what he had heard of his companions had destroyed whatever hold Purism might still held on his mind. Upon Hector's admission that his father had been the right all those years ago, when he had refused to threat Cleisthenes any differently because of his mother the three wizards embraced. Upon hearing of his son's deeds in Azkaban Hercules, with a voice broken by emotion, uttered ''your mother would be so proud of you! I am so proud of you!''. Also overcome by emotion Hector could only answer, with the same tone, with a fierce ''Jamais à Genoux!'' As Ernie MacMillan was still alive and fighting in the castle and Astoria the Younger had smuggled herself into the army the magical descendants of Achilles Greengrass were at last united, ready to fight side by side for what was right.

Of course, we also cannot describe these last instants before the doom of the Death Eaters was sealed without mentioning their artistic portrayals. The most famous episode of Hercules' life, in Britain at least, the final preparations of Operation Thunderbolt have often been portrayed as his finest hour, a culmination of a short, the task he had been fated since birth to carry out. Famously, the scene was depicted vividly, and in a vibrant homage to her great-grandfather in law, by novelist Rose Greengrass (born Weasley) in one of the most celebrated scene of her The Thirteen of the Year of the Snake, a series of novels following Wizarding Britain's history through the eyes of those who were prefects when the Chamber of Secrets was first opened. We cannot resist the temptation to include an excerpt here:

''Among the many terrible and wondrous sights to behold during these terrible years only a precious few could compare to old Lord Ravenclaw's utter absence of fear as he preparing to face the mightiest wizard alive, the man who had left Greengrass' life in utter shamble. Such an attitude was not born from foolishness or recklessness but from his clairvoyance as to what Riddle's triumph would mean for his country and for his world. In those moments Hercules Greengrass saw, as clearly as the clearest of water, that death was preferable then to not risk anything to prevent it from coming to pass. Still, as he was preparing those wizards, witches and magical creatures that had put their faith in his hands for the clash he had faith in victory. He did not ignore how terrible an enemy he would soon fight but he held his own cunning and the steel of his army in high esteem indeed, as latter events would justify.
His courage proved contagious for wherever he went to give last orders he proved to be the strength of the weak and the valliance of the cowardly, the soul of the Great Relief Army. In the eyes of those willing to follow his commands he was the Lord of the Battles, the Liberator of the Magical Communities of the Balkans, the Victor of the Feast, the Minister Across the Water and, soon, he would also be the saviour of Hogwarts. Voldemort might be without living peers in magical world but at their head was the greatest captain of war of their world!''

As the different groups took their assigned places, somehow managing to do so unnoticed which a testament to their commander' skills, Hercules had reserved for himself a group of particularly fearsome fighters. They were veterans who had stood by his side during the Global Wizarding War and the First British Wizarding War or younger wizards and witches who had impressed him during the long months in Broceliande. Due to the distance they would have to cross to reach the Castle Yard they would be among the last to join the fray. It was Hercules' hope that they would an enemy already shaken by the first attacks. It had also been his order that the attack should be launched at the first sign of renewed violence between the Dark Lord and Hogwarts' defender, as he did not believe for a second that the latter would submit. Thus, when the screams that erupted when the Shorting Hat was lighted on Neville Longbottom's head were heard all knew that the time had come. Most around Hercules had expected the old battle of ''For Freedom and for our World!'' to be uttered once more. A younger wizard decided that it was to be otherwise, however. Before any other could be raised Viktor Krum, who had loved a British muggleborn before any other girl and who counted the Boy who Lived himself among his friends, yelled ''For Freedom and for our Friends!'' The call was taken back by all. For Ria, Perseus and Niké, for Uly and Calli, for the Bones and the Potters, for Colville, Anlwick and Myrtle and for countless others who were innocent, good, honourable and true Hercules plunged into his last battle. Amplified by magic his voice thundered accross the Castle Ground: ''Onwards soldiers of the light!''

Just as Hercules had planned, the army of the Dark Lord had been thoroughly shaken before he joined. The Centaurs and the rest of the first wave of attackers led by Horace Slughorn and Bill Weasley and unexpectedly assisted by the throng of House-Elves who came out of the Castle, had already sent them reeling and they were followed by others. Cornered by Patronuses coming from all directions, Dementors began to disintegrate, bright lights escaped from them as they did so and coursed through the battle field, fueling those made both the anvil and the hammer with purpose and hope while seemingly filling Riddle's servants with despair and exhaustion. (1) Only Snatchers were available to oppose Hercules and those who surrounded and while they were many of them they could compare in magical might and training with the weakest of their assailants. As he was busy being among those who cut through the ranks of the Snatchers like a knife through butter a young red haired wizard seemingly recognised him and, guessing that he was in command, yelled that Riddle had no Horcrux left and that he could be killed now. Inflamed by those words Hercules began to yell at Riddle by his real name and exhorting him to come and fight, adding insults against his Gaunt ancestry for good measure. In the old days such words would have been Hercules' death warrant but, for the first time in his life except when in presence of Albus Dumbledore, Riddle fled from a fight, instead ordering his Death Eaters to fight their way into the Castle, believing they would stand a better chance there. As they were doing so they were haunted by a ghost of the past, both figuratively and literally, as Mireille Myrtle appeared on the field of slaughter, taunting the Death Eaters and cheering their enemies on. As she approached Hercules he expressed his regrets to not have been able to protect her, at which the ghost girl replied by merely giving him a sad yet warm smile and uttering ''win today my lord and all will be forgiven!''.

Upon realising what Riddle had in mind Hercules attempted to pursue him but Augustus Rockwood blocked his path. Before becoming a Death Eater's and Riddle's most important source of intelligence inside the ministry Rockwood had been an eminent member of the Sphinxes and one of their most important voices inside of the Ministry's administration. The same quick wits and ability to establish connections that had done so much to help push Sphinx's sponsored political proposals were turned to devastating when put to the service of Voldemort. In many regards the duel between the two formidable wizards therefore took a great symbolic significance and became something of a fight for the soul of the former Sphinx, a fight between those, well-intentioned if mistaken, who had genuinely wanted a more just Wizarding Britain and had believed it was possible to reconcile that desire with preserving at least some of the traditions they were so attached to, and those who merely believed that giving crumbs to the muggleborns and others would help preserve the old order with all its inequities. When push came to shove the first group, Greengrass among them, had chosen the light while Rockwood was among the latter, they who plunged into darkness. Long did they fought, both greatly skilled, as Rockwood's relative youth and vigor faced Hercules' greater experience of combat.
Many times did Rockwood's attempted to use his mastery of fire to burn Greengrass to crisp while Hercules tried to muster his talent with air to cut him to ribbons. Then, at last, Greengrass seemed to have made a fatal mistake and Rockwood jumped into the apparent breach. It was a feint, however, and less than an instant latter Rockwood felt must have been a truly indescribable moment of pain, for the arm carrying his wand had been cut in flicker of Hercules' own magic.

After applying a full body-bind curse to Rockwood and, despite everything, an anti-pain charm Hercules' eye began to dart across his surroundings, where very few enemies still stood. Many brave and good wizards and witches had fallen however, and has Hercules was contemplating the scene sorrow seemed to take hold in him. The time for mourning had not yet come however, and soon, for the first time in almost a year, he heard the voice of his grandson Ernie coming from some distance away. Drenched in blood, tough it evidently wasn't his own, the Huffelpuff bellowed ''Grandfather! Grandfather! Look!'' while he pointed his wand at the part of the Great Hall where Riddle was fighting the two professors and the Auror. Soon the two wizards were among the many running toward the scene to help bring down the Dark Lord once and for all, only to be violently pushed back by the wave of magical energy produced by Riddle's anger at the death of his most fearsome lieutenant. Upon the reveal of Harry Potter's survival Hercules simply had a good-natured and triumphant laugh before declaring, in spite of the devastation surrounding him that ''by Merlin, this is turning out to be a wonderful morning!''.

Wand in hand in case the Boy who Twice Lived needed help he assisted to the final duel and, as Riddle fell for second and final he launched a yell of pure joy before joining the rejoicing. Many of the wizards and witches he met during these instants of happy hysteria congratulating him for being the only wizard to have crossed wands with both Grindelwald and Riddle and survived to see both of them death which, in the words of one of those offering such praises, ''isn't nothing!'' The warmest and most meaningful of embraces was probably reserved for a wizard with whom he had spent little time before but whom he had collaborated from a distance, and yet closely, during the last year. ''Congratulation Mr. Minister, you lead well this year!'' Hercules offered upon meeting Kingsley Shacklebolth. ''My new Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement didn't do too badly either!'' he humbly answered with a smile. For a few minutes they spoke before Shacklebolth decided to introduce Hercules to a young wizard who did not need to be presented. Most of his short conversation with the Boy who Twice Lived was limited to platitudes but, as they were separating, Harry Potter saw the future Ginevra Potter waiting for him and called Hercules back. ''Mr. Greengrass'' he called ''when I was… out there I… saw something! Your wife, your children and all the others who died, you will see them again!'' In response Hercules gave him a smile that was described as the warmest and most sincere in the world and it was said that for a few moments after Hercules Greengrass seemed young once more.

Soon he and Shacklebolth made their way to the Ministry where they were welcomed with cheers. The loudest were often those who had willingly collaborated mere hours before. Upon being named Minister for Magic Shacklebolth's first act was to fulfill the words he had spoken to Hercules hours before. Bound and gagged Sullivan Travers was presented to Hercules by some who were evidently trying to curry his favour but Greengrass merely ordered that his old rival was to be put under close guard but also provided with food and water as well as a healer to threat whatever injuries he might have suffered during his capture. For Hercules the new few weeks would be mostly spent organising mop up operations to capture Riddle's supporters still at large.

Nonetheless, it is probably fair to say that the event who truly ended the war for him took place late on the day following the final defeat of Tom Riddle the Younger. As the sun was setting Hercules Greengrass, Horace Slughorn and Rubeus Hagrid made their way into the chamber were the mortal remains of the most infamous dark wizard Britain had produced laid. Alone from all those who had been at the center of the stage when the bloody play had begun they had managed to remain alive and free to see the merciful curtain fall at last and it was them who had been tasked with writing the epilogue. From a wand a small yet mighty flame was produced and quickly consumed Voldemort's second corpse. Through levitation the ashes were put in a small urn and all three wizards embarked upon Hagrid's enchanted motorcycle. A conciliation charm was cast and they were off. For long hours they flew eastward, past hills, bogs, mountains and forests, past the eastern shores of Fife until lands had not been seen for long moments. It was then that Riddle's ashes were at last poured into the sea. There would be grave. There would be no twisted pilgrimages.

They then returned to the Castle and, at Hagrid's invitation, entered the Half-Giant's hut. There they stayed until the sun began to rise once more, speaking of the old days and drinking to the victorious deads.

Last edited:
Thank you :) Hercules as commander of the relief army who intervened in the last moments of the Battle of Hogwarts was something I had in mind for a pretty long time now so I am glad to finally get it in writing and getting feedback on it :)

I did not put it in writing because it would probably mean he survived to see Riddle defeated and I wanted your input before doing that but I could definitely Lucian among the peoples Hercules kept for his personnal command during the Battle of Hogwarts. Either that or maybe even he could have gotten his own subdivision of the army to lead ;)

Back