Operation Spyglass (IWIW: Spy x Family)

Tatsuya Endo really was like "I'm not gonna have any generic background characters, I'm going to spend over an entire month drawing everyone with unique outfits!"

It's also nice to see that Anya has become genuinely popular among her classmates after the bus hijacking. I sense a lot of scenes of Damian losing it in jealousy in the future. :rofl:

My first thought: "How did they manage to build that obstacle course in less that 10 minutes?

My second thought: "Henderson and Martha had a formal education, and this chapter all but scream at us that there were a thing in the past"

My third thought: "AAAAAAAAAAH ANYA CONFESSED ABOUT HER POWERS! There's no way that won't be a Checkov's Gun!"

Bunch of "Heh" and "Aw"s, only to end with a major "Oh sheeet".
Will be interesting to see if anything comes from it in the nearby future or if it sticks with the ending gag for the time being to retain status quo. Heck, despite it making a point of showing him turning away, Loid could have potentially heard too (seems even less likely though unless we're actually entering endgame already).

Also, while I get someone not wanting to ship young kids, I'm not sure if anyone can still insist that she actually can't stand him at all and it's all just for the mission, when she's just trusting him with her absolutely biggest secret.

One details that's subtle but says a lot : for the question of the incident that made Damian fear for his life, Anya read his mind, but for the question of who does he love best, Anya didn't do it, she already knew it. Which shows that she's the one who knows him best.

Aw. She tried to confess she can read minds. It's a bit of a complex for her, clearly, so it's sweet she tried to tell Damien of all people. Even if it didn't work.

This will definitely come back later.

Also, yes Becky. Progress!

EDIT: Also, unrelated, I thought they were going to introduce completely impossible challenges so Damien could go without dancing and then Lloyd/Anya would overcome them. Shows what I know.

"How did they manage to build that obstacle course in less that 10 minutes?

The power of friendship and/or manga comedy!!

Last edited:
Bless the Anya and here meme face may her passing meme the earth

That's one heck of a confession considering it's Anya's biggest secret and one that she's not even confessed to her parents. This coupled with the one shot of her spelling her name and the ancient language arc makes me think that we'll get her past coming up

I've already seen people say that they can't wait to see the dance between Anya and Damian animated, hoping that it'll be as good as the dance between Stark and Fern in Frieren.

Anya chosing her dress because it looks like Yor's and she misunderstood what Becky was talking about was s sweet as it was hilarious.

And another coin to the Martha x Henderson machine.

Also 1 Dalc is worth 2 US Dollars, Jesus Christ.
That means that he paid 20,000$ to rent the castle when Anya entered in Eden Academy, and that the wine bottle Yuri brought to Your and Lloid in their first meeting was worth around 600 bucks.

20,000 dollars is a small price for world peace. (and advancing the Anya backstory plot)

Last edited:
No, as much as I love SpyFam, it's not something I'd go to the cinema for. But hope you had fun.

My thoughts:

- The brief focus near the beginning on infidelity was surprising insofar as I can't recall it being focused on with such intensity in the manga, so its resolution in the first half was rather nice.

- The fight between Yor and what was essentially a Terminator expy was cool.

- Loid actually losing something was honestly surprising, even if it was something as simple as an ingredient taste test. (It makes sense in context.)

- The art and animation during the "toilet god" scenes were spectacular. (Again, it makes sense in context.)

Overall, it's basically a regular arc compressed into an hour and fifty minutes with a higher animation budget (which isn't a bad thing). I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Martha and Henry backstory arc let's goooooo!
Endo dropping any kind of implication whatsoever to tell us point-blank that yes, they are in love and yes, it was love at first sight.

I like the detail that the panel showing soldiers (to illustrate the upcoming war that's implied to had broken their relationship) has a WWI era truck on it, to show us that the war Martha and (possibly) Henderson fought in was not the same as the one Loid and Franky fought in.
Which informs us that Westalis and Ostania had been at war against each others more than once.

I wasn't expecting this kind of chapter.
I didn't even think this kind of chapter would happen.
I didn't know if I would be interested in this kind of story.

But now ?

I am totally down for it and I can't wait for the next chapter !

Something people noticed : on page 16 in the panel of everyone's graduation, there's a character that looks a lot like a young McMahon (Yor's manager and her Garden handler)

Back