Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

I write this in hopes that history finds it in the hands of a worthy predecessor. Shortly I face odds I am uncertain I can triumph over or shenanigan my way out of. Learn from my mistakes, study hard, and always remember law is written for the smooth function of society not the good of the people within it.
Chapter 1 Patricide

Zedalb

I just started a Patreon!
There is something deeply ironic about killing the man who created you. Given he trained me from birth to be a warrior you could call it a success and failure on his part all rolled into one. He was an excellent teacher but an equally terrible father. Which is why I had both the inclination and the ability to kill him.

Yet in spite of that, it was an accident. Sure the history books will paint me as a monster and yes people do fear a man willing to kill his own father and I have used that to my advantage. However in spite of all the revisions you will see in history, the facts are often more boring and banal in the cruelty and evil of the world. I killed my father, but the truth of the matter is that while I wanted to, in that specific moment I had no intention of doing so.

To be a noble one must awaken one of the three aspects of divine power. The body, the mind or the soul. To do so requires pushing your very limits until in an act of supreme effort you shatter those limits and find in some respect you no longer have limits in that regard. That brief moment that shattering, for a split second you are godlike in your power in whatever aspect you have awoken or ascended( Or any of a dozen other dreary names for it).

My father spent years trying to push me past those limits. The cruelty of destiny was that by him pushing me I was trying to endure not break my limits so his efforts for many many years were for naught.

Until they were not.

I do not know what changed. I suspect his slowly escalating cruelty in the guise of training had reached a point where I shattered my limits just trying to endure it because no mortal could. However the facts are known only to the gods and since I intend to kill all of them, I hardly suspect they will tell me.

It was a beautiful day in our keep. Most days were beautiful because we were the chosen guardians of a magical grove. Well it is more true to say we were the human representatives to the actual guardians. Our keep was not in the groove but close enough to enjoy year round beautiful weather and thus wealth from our farms.

It was a typical day of patriarchal abuse. Since my father was physically ascended it was rather like an adult beating upon a child even in my late teens. He called it sparing, but it involved a lot of getting kicked in the face after I was on the ground.

And then:

[] I awoken Physically. It was a spar and I just wanted to hit him once, just to make him bleed. It took everything I had and the weakness of my body simply evaporated away as in one perfect strike, I punched right through his wooden practice sword and equally right through his chest. I did not meant to but I felt his heart explode around my fist.

[]I awoken Mentally. For a fraction of a second I was telepathic and not only could I read his mind I could share my thoughts. I wanted him to know all the pain he caused me. Without control or experience though I sent him every single memory at once in a fraction of a second. I watched his brain melt out through his ears as he fell to his knees.

[] I awoken Spiritually. It was curiosity to see his soul and with a glance I did not just see it. I pushed it free from his body. He dropped dead like a puppet with it's strings cut.

Chapter 2 Running?
I awoken Spiritually. It was curiosity to see his soul and with a glance I did not just see it. I pushed it free from his body. He dropped dead like a puppet with it's strings cut.

It was the oddest thing. He didn't seem dead, with no injuries and signs of violence. He didn't look like a person either though. Instead he was just a mass of meat that was once a person all the parts perfectly in place but doing nothing.

It was the act of killing him and the breakthrough that awoken my first ability, Spirit Sight. Spirit Sight is the ability to see the immaterial and the esoteric. I heard stories of those who had awoken spiritually, the things they could do were always more conceptual and odd.

They could forge a blade with a destiny, cut the strands of fate, and see into a mans soul. Now I could do the last of those things but having capability and having ability are vastly different things.

I'd like to say I jumped into action but in truth my thoughts rambled on for far to long just like my words do upon this page. I had never killed a man before and it would be many years before I learned that removing someone from the board is better done with a soft touch than with murder. What I mean is, I was a rank armature in a subject I would soon become an expert on.

As a spiritually awoken I had a few choices. The kingdom was always in need of our services. There was the "Third Eye Order" who dealt with conceptual and memetaic type threats to the kingdom, anything that couldn't be stabbed in truth.

It would be a form of slavery, I'd be a free man only as long as I fought for them and as a murder they would see me as expendable. But the death of a duke is no minor thing, awakened would be chasing me, even those who had awakened more than once. Maybe if I was physically awakened I could try running but I was not.

So that left only a few options.

The magical groove itself would work. If I was chosen by the grove as a sworn ally then the kingdom would probably allow me to take my fathers place as a matter of simplicity. With luck I could learn more about my abilities in the groove, it tended to lean more towards a spiritual nature anyway.

I could turn myself in, it was a form of self defense and as a noble and spiritually awakened if I managed the politics carefully I'd be able to walk free.

So I made the choice to:

[] Join the Third Eye Order, they would take anyone and give me a new identity they did not care for politics and while I'd be likely to die if I could survive I would grow to be a powerful individual.

[] Seek the Groves Wisdom, To learn the abilities of the ethereal and seek refuge from the kingdom I had to escape for a time. I would not trust the kingdom without establishing my value.

[] Face justice with Honor, I was technically the new duke, and spiritually awakened are rare and valuable. I trusted that my fathers reputation for cruelty and lack of strong allies would be enough to allow me to take my rightful position.

Back