Marked for Death: A Rational Naruto Quest (STORY ONLY)

Chapter 16: Say hello, Twitch

"Damnit," Inoue said, staring at the faint tracks that disappeared into the forest. The 'wanderers' had fled the village.

"Should we follow them, sensei?" Mori asked.

Inoue sighed. "Not tonight," she said. "By the looks of those tracks they've been gone a couple hours already, I don't want to track them through these woods at night, and we should be getting ready for meeting our friend tomorrow." She shook her head. "They must have lit out of here like their tails were on fire the minute they finished with that meeting," she said. "If I hadn't needed to stay with the girls, I could have caught them. Meh, we'll find them in a day or two. They're only civilians—well, unless they're being deliberately sloppy about their trail. In the meantime, let's talk about tomorrow...."

o-o-o-o​

"Ninety-eight, ninety-nine, one-hundred," Hazou muttered. He stopped and unsealed a small boulder, setting it in a rocky patch where it would look as natural as possible. The situation was a little too tilted in the foreign ninja's favor; the team had spent a good chunk of the night brainstorming ways to help Hazou survive the encounter. Having a nice chain of ideal kawarimi targets leading back to the village seemed like a good plan. He'd also allowed Inoue-sensei to kawarimi with him; from now on she'd be able to switch with him at will until he revoked the permission. If things really went to hell she could kawarimi along the chain and substitute him out of danger in under a minute.

He automatically checked for threats before continuing on. The meet point was just up ahead, and his timing was good; dawn was right on the horizon. He should reach the clearing with no further trouble.

He finished his survey of the area and set out....

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Awareness:
sum 8 1D100 => 29 ; 55 ; 57 ; 62 ; 90 ; 69 ; 94 ; 56 ; total=512

Chakra Voles, Stealth:
sum 8 1D100 => 86 ; 58 ; 4 ; 76 ; 81 ; 13 ; 7 ; 26 ; total=351

...taking care to step just close enough to the chakra vole nest that they would attack, but not close enough that they'd succeed. The stupid animals collapsed the dirt where he'd been standing and were taken greatly aback by his failure to fall into their trap. A swarm of furious carnivores leaped out of the hole teeth-first, chittering madly in their ravenous desire to...

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Taijutsu:
sum 5 1D100 => 5 ; 62 ; 35 ; 29 ; 82 ; total=213
(6 dice, -1 for injuries)

Chakra Voles, Close Combat:
sum 4 1D100 => 19 ; 46 ; 26 ; 8 ; total=99

...be utterly and completely crushed at the fists and feet of a vastly superior opponent who had a major score to settle. Hazou grabbed the first two out of the air and slammed their heads together, shook the resulting meatpaste off his hands in time to snapkick the third vole into a tree (taking care to kick with his left foot, because putting any weight on that heel was still agony), then grabbed the fourth by the tail and used it as a flail to smash the fifth into the dirt, then....

It took a while, but eventually all the voles were dead and Hazou was feeling much better about the shape of the universe. (In point of fact, the voles had been dead for quite a while before Hazou started liking the shape of the universe. He didn't mind.)

The sun was just lumbering up over the horizon, so he hurried on to the clearing up ahead, trying not to be too obvious about limping on his left foot.

rolz.org said:
Hazou: total=391

Something: total=523

He arrived just as the first rays of the sun were washing across the vine-covered clearing. It wasn't technically a clearing, but 'open spot between beach and forest where nothing particularly tall is growing' was a bit unwieldy, so 'clearing' it was.

He stopped at the edge of the clearing, surveying everything carefully. A small stream fed into the lake here, and the ground cover was thick; a tumble of thick green vines had grown up out of the streambed and sprawled everywhere. Wide, flat leaves grew from the vines, completely obscuring the ground.

Hazou frowned. Ever since he'd started living in the wilderness he'd learned not to trust anything he couldn't see. Not being able to trust the ground was a bad thing.

He fastened a kunai to some ninja wire and hurled it out into the clearing a few times, slicing into the vines and probing at the earth. Nothing responded, but he kept probing. After all, he had nothing better to do until the other ninja showed up.

The eleventh throw of the kunai stirred up the expected psychotic chakra nightmare.

This particular nightmare was a carpet of crabs, each the size of his hand with claws as long as his thumb. They scuttled towards him like the onrushing tide, snapping their claws with a sound like thunder. The surprise rocked Hazou back on his heels; the massive bleeding wound in his left heel reminded him of its existence and politely requested that he not rock back on it again anytime soon.

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Tactical Movement:
sum 4 1D100 => 60 ; 40 ; 6 ; 51 ; total=157

Swarm of splinterclaws (aka Demonic Crabs o'Doom), Tactical Movement:
sum 3 1D100 => 50 ; 85 ; 5 ; total=140

The crabs were fast; in under a second they'd crossed the thirty feet between the edge of the clearing and himself. They would easily have overrun and consumed a civilian in a few heartbeats. Hazou, however, was a ninja. He pushed chakra into his legs and leaped for the trees. He'd get a little height and then go to work with a kunai and some wire; the crabs could watch in frustration as he turned them into hors d'oeuvres one by one. He twisted in midair so he'd touch the tree feet-first...

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Awareness:
sum 8 1D100 => 47 ; 91 ; 89 ; 45 ; 18 ; 57 ; 17 ; 66 ; total=430

Eyestealer bird, Genjutsu:
sum 4 1D100 => 37 ; 6 ; 95 ; 80 ; total=218

...only to note that the tree he was aiming for wasn't casting a shadow.

Still in midair, Hazou tossed the kunai and its attached wire up and forward, freeing his hands for just an instant. With the precision of the Iron Nerve, his fingers flicked through the requisite seals of a technique he'd hardly ever used but was suddenly desperately grateful to have learned.

"Dispel!"

The world dripped into a different shape around him; the 'tree' that he was headed for was actually a boulder on which sat a red-eyed crow and about a billion scuttling crab-things.

He grabbed the wire and its attached kunai out of the air, whirled it once, and flung it to the side, looping it smoothly around an adjacent tree—a real one this time! With his left hand Hazou pulled hard on the wire, diverting his course to land outside the carpet of monstrosities. With his right he hurled a shuriken...

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Weapons:
sum 3 1D100 => 15 ; 7 ; 57 ; total=79

Eyestealer bird, Close Combat:
sum 1 1D100 => 63 ; total=63

...into the chest of the crow that sat staring at him so intently as the crab monsters scuttled around it. The angle was bad and he was doing too much at once; even with the Iron Nerve he barely landed the strike. Still, it was enough. The crow squawked and fell down dead into the surging tide of crab-things, who cheerfully stripped the flesh off the bones of their erstwhile ally.

Hazou's foot touched the bark of the tree and he swarmed upwards to the very top where he stood, puffing and gasping in the aftermath of the adrenaline crash, and looked down at the crab-things that would have devoured him in seconds if he hadn't managed to break the genjutsu.

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Awareness:
sum 8 1D100 => 89 ; 49 ; 20 ; 93 ; 85 ; 17 ; 36 ; 91 ; total=480

Black Hunter, Stealth:
total=610

The branch swayed under him; before he could move, something slapped him on the back and a voice whispered in Hazou's ear: "Be still or you explode."

Hazou froze.

"Drop your weapons," it said. It was raspy, high pitched for a man but low for a woman, and he didn't recognize the accent.

Very carefully, Hazou removed the kunai holster from his belt and let it fall. His shuriken pouch and ninja wire followed.

"The last pouch is a pair of sealing scrolls," he said carefully. "One of them is for you; I'd rather not drop them if that's all right."

A bight of rope slapped over his shoulder, both ends pre-tied in wide loops.

"Right wrist to left ankle, around the tree," the voice said.

Hazou licked his lips. Even with the loops fully tightened, the rope was only about twenty centimeters long; putting it on was going to leave him effectively helpless. This might be a good time to bail.

Mentally, he shook his head. No. Whoever this ninja was, he'd apparently put an explosive tag on Hazou's back. What he hadn't done, though, was to put a knife in his back. He'd had the drop on Hazou and could have killed him. The fact that he hadn't done so yet probably meant that he didn't intend to.

Well, it could also mean that he intended to torture Hazou for a while and then kill him, but let's be optimistic.

"Now, boy!" the voice snapped.

"Okay, okay!" Hazou said. He bent down so he could tie himself as directed. He needed to use treewalking to keep himself in place; the branch he was standing on was much too narrow to balance on while in such a contorted position.

"How did you find me?" the voice asked. "Who else is looking for me?!"

"We weren't looking for you," Hazou said honestly. "We came to Iron just trying to stay off everyone's maps, and this was the first town we stopped at. When we heard the villagers talking about you we thought that maybe this was a chance—maybe we could link up, share resources and work together."

"'Work together, huh?!" the man snapped, poking Hazou at the base of the skull with the tip of a kunai. "I'll give you some 'work together'! I'll give it to you right in your godsdamned pie hole, you stinking ninja stinker!"

Hazou blinked. 'Stinking ninja stinker'?

"Um...we're happy to just leave, if you like?" he said. "But I did come with a peace offering. In my scroll there's paper, furs, and lake plums. We weren't sure what you'd like, but those seemed like things that might be useful to you."

"Useful, huh?! Useful! What do you know about useful, you stinking...hang on. Paper?"

"Yes?" Hazou said carefully.

"How much paper?" the man—he was pretty sure it was a man—asked with studied nonchalance.

"A couple dozen sheets," Hazou said. "I'm afraid we didn't have much."

"And what exactly was it you wanted?" the man said suspiciously.

rolz.org said:
Hazou, Diplomacy:
sum 2 1D100 => 83 ; 48 ; total=131

Black Hunter, Diplomacy (to resist):
total=1
Critical Fail!

"We just want to trade," Hazou said. "We'd like whatever information you have about Iron. We don't know what you're looking for, but if you tell us we can probably get it. We've got current news, we can get you whatever goods you're interested in if you tell us where to go, and we have a supply of seal blanks that we're willing to offer."

The knife suddenly dug in harder; Hazou could feel a small drop of blood running down his neck. "Seal blanks?! Seal blanks?! Do you think I'm crazy, letting you give me seal blanks?! You just want to get me killed, don't you?! Admit it! You want my face to burn off and the tentacles to grow out my ears and use my arms like puppet arms as I slowly melt into a puddle of reeking goo that I have to clean up with a mop because some jackass thought it was a good idea to mess around with someone else's seal blanks!"

"Whoa, whoa! Easy!" Hazou said, leaning forward as much as he could to get away from knife that was jabbing into his neck to emphasize each phrase in the man's diatribe. "It's an offer, you don't have to take them! They're good, though, I promise. Just examine them, see if they're valid. If they are, they're yours and I can get you plenty more exactly like them. If they're not, then you're not out anything but a little time."

"Time? You think being out of time is a joke?" the ninja snapped, poking him with the knife again. "You think it was funny that time that Kawaguchi accidentally put himself in storage and came out all mangled up?" The knife jabbed Hazou lightly in the back.

"No, not funny! Not what I meant!" Hazou said, trying desperately to evade the stabby thing that this clearly-more-than-a-bit-crazy ninja was using like a pointer at a briefing. "Look, just check the blanks, okay? I can get you as many as you want, and they're all good. I promise, every single one."

"A likely story," the ninja said, but he eased off on the stabbing. "Okay, smart guy. What do you want for these all-good blanks, hm?"

"You infuse them for us," Hazou said. "You get one blank for every one that you inf—" The knife jabbed harder. "Two! You get two for every one that you infuse for us! Ow, okay, three! Go easy on the knife, man, I'm just trying to deal!"

"Hm," the ninja said. The knife retreated. "Let's assume, just for a moment, that you're actually playing fair, you stinking stinker. You have to want more than just some blanks infused. You could get that from any sealmaster."

"We don't know any other sealmasters," Hazou said. "But, yes. We were hoping that we could trade for a while, show you that we're honest, and then maybe talk about some seal training."

The knife was back. "Seal training, huh? You want me to sit in a room and just make seals for you all day until you decide to send me off into the middle of nowhere with a group of fumble-fingered jackasses who won't keep their godsdamned hands off the face-melting unholiness, is that it? Is that the kind of training you want me to have?!" Jab, jab, jab.

"Ow!" Hazou said, wriggling on the branch in a futile attempt to dodge the repeated jabs that were starting to do actual damage. "No! Not training for you, training for me!"

The knife stopped. "What."

"My family has had at least one sealmaster in every generation as far back as we have records," Hazou said. "I was supposed to start my training once I made chunin, but now that won't happen. I could be a great sealmaster, I'm sure of it. It's something I've wanted since I was a kid; I couldn't wait to start my training, but I wasn't allowed to even open the books until I made chunin."

There was silence from behind him. Hazou took it as a good sign.

"Would it be so bad, training someone who really wanted to learn?" Hazou asked. "Wouldn't you like to leave a legacy? You must have made some amazing discoveries; do you want them to be forgotten when you die?"

The man went to one knee, yanking Hazou's head back by the hair and pressing the knife tight to his throat. "What do you know about me dying? Is your jonin coming after me? Is this all just a big distraction?" For the first time, Hazou was actually able to see his assailant's face. It was long and narrow, with a weak chin and a hair line that was already starting to recede despite the fact that the man probably wasn't out of his late thirties or early forties. The hair was brown, tangled, and full of leaves and twigs, but the eyes were what bothered Hazou; they were the eyes of a panicked wolverine.

"No, she's not!" Hazou said, taking care not to move his jaw too much lest he slice his own throat open. "We're being honest, really. I just meant that no one lives forever. Wouldn't you like it if kids were studying your theories a hundred years from now? You could be on the shelf next to Nishimura and Kita...but not if you don't pass on your knowledge."

The eyes got very slightly calmer and the knife pressed a little less tightly.

"Nishimura and Kita, huh?" the man murmured. "Hm. 'Pay attention, class: now that you've finished Kita, we'll be moving on to Kagome.'" The knife loosened a bit more and the man mumbled to himself for half a minute. "Yeah. Yeah. 'Hamasaki-sensei, may I please be allowed to check out Kagome, volume VII?' 'No! That's much too advanced for you, brat!' Yeah...." The knife fell away completely—less because Kagome (if that was his name) was taking it away and more because he was lost in his thoughts and not paying attention to keeping the knife in place.

Momma would have described this man as 'a little too tightly wound'. Momma had always said that the best way to deal with ninja who were a little too tightly wound was to speak softly and back away slowly. Momma was really smart.

The silence dragged on. Hazou stayed silent and completely still.

"Okay, kid," Kagome said, coming back from his daydream. "Where's this stuff you had for me?"

"The red scroll, in my hip pouch," Hazou said carefully. "Would you like me to get it?"

"Hells no!" Kagome said jabbing him with the knife for emphasis. "I'm not about to let you activate a seal while I'm right here. Here's how this is going to work: I'm going to step off. You're going to count to fifty—slowly!—then unseal the stuff you promised and drop it. Count to a hundred—no, to a thousand!— and then you can come down. If you mess with me, I'll blow you to the Summoned Realm. Got it?!" The knife tip made several fast jabby motions to emphasize the point. Each one of them drew blood.

"Yes! Ow, stop with the stabbing!" Hazou said.

"Oh," Kagome said, sounding embarrassed. "Right. Sorry."

Hazou blinked. He hadn't actually expected an apology. He decided to try to push very gently. "You're welcome to the stuff," he said. "I just want to point out that the lake plums are going to get squashed if I drop them."

"Oh," Kagome said. "Yeah. Uh...here, have some rope." From somewhere he pulled out a hundred-foot coil of handwoven rope. "Lower the stuff down with this. You can keep the rope."

"Thank you," Hazou said. It was actually quite a gift; that much rope must have been a lot of work and time to make. "Just one thing: I think there's an explosive tag on my back."

"You can keep that one too," Kagome said. "Assuming I don't have to blow you up, of course." His voice got hard again. "And don't think you can just take it off and throw it away, either! I'll be watching you, and I've got this entire area secured! Mess with me and I'll squash you into meat jelly, got it? No taking that tag off until you're on the ground!"

"Got it," Hazou said. He paused, but nothing happened. "Should I start counting now?" he asked carefully.

"Uh, yeah. You do that," Kagome said. The tree limb bounced slightly as he leaped away; Hazou ignored it and concentrated on counting slowly.

He followed the directions to the letter and, when the time came, he climbed down slowly instead of just jumping. At the base of the tree was a note:

Okay, kid, maybe you're not a stinking ninja stinker. I want a thousand sheets of seal-quality paper, a gallon of chakra ink, a pound of good chocolate, a gallon of honey, ten pounds of good tea, and a loaf of fresh-baked bread. Leave all that here a week from today and I'll teach you some basic theory.
PS: Make sure the bread has raisins in it, okay?
PPS: Oh, and bring a copper kettle. Making tea in a waterskin sucks.
PPPS: When you bring the stuff back, don't worry about the crabs. I'll make sure they don't bother you.
PPPPS: Oh yeah: Run.

Hazou took off like a bat out of hell, but he'd gone barely twenty yards when there was a loud crump! in the clearing behind him. A powerful wind blew inwards, almost knocking him off his feet. A moment later it reversed; an outward surge of air lifted him and practically threw him forward. He ran farther, then turned to look.

The clearing had been scourged down to bare dirt. Needless to say, there wasn't a single crab anywhere.

XP AWARD: 37

Vote time! What to do now?

- Get the team, go get Kagome his stuff, and do some seal training! This guy is awesome!
- Get the team and get the hell out of here! This guy is crazy!
- Put your pants on your head and run into the water screaming! This guy's crazy is contagious!

Voting ends on Wednesday, Feb 10, 2016, at 12pm UTC. Next update is by @Velorien.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 17: History and Current Affairs

"Nope, doesn't ring any bells," Inoue-sensei said. "But honestly, that's not surprising. Sealing's never been my thing—I'm a people person all the way—and in terms of general fame, sealmasters don't tend to get much of that outside their own village. The really good ones normally don't get sent on missions, because they're way too valuable to risk. And when you get a sealmaster who can hold her own in combat… well, it's hard to build a reputation when there's no comprehensible evidence left of what you did, and no survivors to tell anyone that you did it. I mean, look what happened with Whirling Tides."

The three genin gave her blank looks.

"Uhh, Hidden Village of Whirling Tides? Land of Whirlpools? Come on, you must know some foreign history."

Inoue-sensei looked at them despairingly.

"OK, basic education time. So there used to be this teeny little country called the Land of Whirlpools on an island down south. It was one of those islands with weird currents that made it a nightmare to sail to if you didn't know the routes, kind of like Rokushima back in Water. And despite being as isolated as it was, Whirlpool had its own ninja village, the Hidden Village of Whirling Tides. Highest concentration of redheads in the world, a paradise ultimately brought low by the jealousy of the boring-haired majority."

Inoue-sensei flicked a hand through her hair demonstratively, then noticed that the genin's faces remained resolutely blank. She sighed.

"All right, jokes aside. Apart from having the best hair, they were also the world's best sealcrafters. They could do things with seals that the rest of the world still can't replicate decades later. And that freaked a lot of people out. Now, this was all before my time, but the long and the short of it is that the Elemental Nations, minus Leaf, sent them an ultimatum: 'stop your research or we'll do it for you'.

"That went down about as well as you'd expect. The reply they got was along the lines of 'our research focus is on non-military applications; mess with us and that will change.' Classic six-year-old-boy school of diplomacy on both sides. And naturally, when six-year-old boys don't get what they want, they throw a tantrum. If by 'tantrum', you mean 'huge joint punitive force'.

"Here's the thing, though. When that force finally gets to Whirlpool, communications drop like there's a ninja with the Gravity Element around. Suddenly, no one's getting any reports back from their troops, and even summoners can't get in touch with each other. So, of course, they send a new wave of scouts to find out what the hell happened. And do you know what those scouts find?"

Inoue-sensei gave a dramatic pause.

"Nothing. Literally nothing. The Elemental Nations did a full sweep, aerial scouting, genjutsu specialists, everything. There's no Land of Whirlpools anymore."

"What do you mean by that?" Mori asked.

"There's just a blank patch of sea where Whirlpool is supposed to be now, with some really freaky weather patterns. Pretty much every village with sensory specialists went over the area, and there are no bits of blown-up island, no ninja gear or corpses sunk beneath the waves, no blood, no bone, no ash. We don't know how that's possible, and we don't even know if it was deliberate or accidental. The only thing we know is that if the Whirling Tides sealmasters are still out there, then they have the power to get rid of entire countries… and they are royally pissed off."

She gave that a little time to sink in.

"Incidentally, some villages lost a lot more ninja than others in that fiasco, and the Third Great Ninja War just happened to break out shortly afterwards. A little something to think about."
-o-​

Hazō: Awareness said:
Assorted Monsters: Stealth said:
Hazō: Taijutsu said:
Monsters: Awfulness said:
Mori: Weapons said:

The journey to Yuni was not particularly eventful by local standards. The chakra voles were no threat now that Hazō knew in advance what to look for, and even the hunter-killer dragonflies' near-silent wingbeats were loud to someone who'd been training with Inoue-sensei (who moved like a cat, in addition to being as elegant as a cat, as capricious as a cat, and on occasion as sadistic as a cat—not that Hazō was at all bitter about that round of punishments after the first encounter with Kagome). Dispatching attacking creatures had taken more of an effort—for instance, even without the advantage of surprise, the dropbears were heavy, aggressive, capable of taking amazing amounts of punishment, and very, very good at grappling. If it hadn't been for Mori and the ninja wire strangulation trick, Hazō wasn't sure he'd still have all his limbs.

The town itself was the biggest settlement Hazō had seen outside Mist. After the tiny villages the group had spent its time in, they were struck by the sight of crowds, the myriad different smells and the sound of multiple different accents. The guise they'd chosen for themselves was that of travelling mercenaries, loosely modelled after Baikan's caravan guards for extra verisimilitude. After establishing a temporary base (i.e. renting a room at the nearest inn), it was time to discuss their immediate plans.

Inoue-sensei, of course, wasn't here. She'd split off in an attempt to track the "Liberator"'s recruiters after every single villager averred that no, they had no idea where the travellers had gone, hadn't seen them leave, and in most cases didn't even know they'd been there at all. When she sent the group onward to Yuni, Hazō had asked how she'd find him and the others again, given that they'd be in disguise in an unfamiliar town, only to receive a stare of pure incredulity, followed by vengeful ruffling of his hair.

"All right," Hazō began in his burly warrior baritone, having, as usual, tuned out Wakahisa's chatter during the journey in favour of making plans. "Here's what I think we should do. Wakahisa, you can start by—"

"Hold it," Wakahisa scowled. "Who died and made you team leader?"

Hazō blinked. "Shikigami-sensei, actually, though not in that order."

Mori gave a quiet snerk, but the amused expression quickly disappeared. Wakahisa's scowl deepened.

Hazō refrained from rolling his eyes by dint of extraordinary, nay, legendary willpower.

"Look, anything I come up with is going to get run past Mori. If she vetoes it, we'll go with something else. OK?"

Wakahisa shrugged, satisfied and apparently unaware that he'd just agreed to being the only group member whose opinion didn't matter.

"Good. Now, Mori, you should go and find some ways of earning money, because I have a feeling what we earned back at the village might not be enough to cover everything that luna—um, Mr Kagome wants. Quality paper and ink are supposed to be expensive. Please figure out the most efficient jobs in terms of time, our skills and not exposing ourselves as ninja. Inoue-sensei said a lot of bigger towns have job boards for itinerant workers and such, so that's probably a good place to start."

Mori nodded seriously.

"Wakahisa, you can go and find the actual things we want to buy. Obviously, be discreet, and come up with good reasons why we want them if anyone asks. Also, if you can, use those conversational tricks Inoue-sensei taught you to try and lay the groundwork for some discounts once we're ready to buy. Try not to overdo it, though—she won't be happy if we get chased out of town with torches and pitchforks before she even gets here."

"What about you, Kurosawa?" Mori asked before Wakahisa could respond.

"I'll be looking for information. This Liberator business sounds like it's going to be a big deal. I don't know if we can make use of it or not, but we definitely don't want to get caught off guard. I'll also see if I can find out anything about ninja in the area, because getting caught off guard by them would be much worse.

"We'll meet here again at sunset and talk about what we've found out. Mori, any comments?"

Mori was silent for a little while.

"I am reminded that every last one of them is dead now. Shikigami-sensei and Kanna-sensei and Ueda and Saitō and Unabara and Yamaguchi and the rest."

For a couple of seconds, no one was sure how to respond.

Eventually, Wakahisa tried. "It's OK. They were fighting Captain Zabuza, so I'm sure they died quickly and without too much pain. And they were all strong ninja, so he wouldn't have been able to capture many of them for torture."

Wakahisa was stunned when Mori gave him a look of pure venom before disappearing downstairs. After a second, he glared at Hazō as if the whole thing was his fault, and then left as well.

Hazō was beginning to understand why so many jōnin instructors had perpetually hounded expressions.
-o-​

Until Inoue-sensei gets back, your main priority as a group is to…

[] Seek lucrative but dangerous/questionably legal sources of income

[] Seek straightforward but less rewarding sources of income

[] Seek to directly persuade or "persuade" merchants to give you the things you need

[] Seek more information on events up north

[] Seek other ninja and news from the shinobi world
Write-ins accepted.

Voting closes on Saturday the 13th, 9 am Pacific Standard Time

Last edited:
Chapter 18: Leadership

"I found several options for employment," Mori said. "Given our disguises as mercenaries we are not eligible for most civilian jobs, and many of those are controlled by the guilds in any case. We are, however, able to pursue bodyguard work, caravan protection, escort duty, bouncing at various bars and clubs, messenger work, supply runs, and illegal pit fighting."

Hazō's eyebrows went up. "Pit fighting?"

"All right!" Wakahisa said. "We will absolutely demolish any pansy-ass civilian. Candy from babies! Where do we sign up?"

"That might be risky," Hazō said carefully. "We'd lose our disguise the minute we hit the opponent."

"Also, it would be clear that we were ninja," Mori said. "No civilian would fight the way we do. On the other hand, I investigated some of the fights; the more popular ones have a great deal of money moving around. Unfortunately, they are all run by the Yakuza."

"Ah," said Hazō, momentarily flashing back to a conversation with a man covered in tattoos who had just placed a hammer gently on the table. "That...might be unwise."

Wakahisa opened his mouth to say something, then shot a glance at Mori and closed it again.

"We could talk to them about it," he said. "There's no organized ninja presence in Iron, but there are ninja. That means many of them are missing-nin like us—maybe even most of them. If so, maybe we could just go to the Yak and ask them for work. We're a lot better than most genin and there can't be that many ninja available; we could probably get good rates."

"That's...actually a really interesting idea," Hazō said slowly. "We'd be breaking cover as ninja, but the Yak would undoubtedly love to have us, and having an in with them would make a lot of things easier. Mori, what do you think?"

Mori said nothing for long seconds; her face had the blank, distant expression that the boys had seen only once before: when she'd gone deep into her bloodline to ensure Wakahisa's safety during the ninjutsu experiments.

"I think...," she said, her voice very far away, "...I think that this is a balance point. There are hazards on both sides. Speaking directly with the Yakuza carries significant short term risks, but not speaking to them carries steadily increasing risks as time goes on. If we continue to operate in Yuni the probability of them identifying us as unaligned ninja approaches unity. Once they discover us and determine that we have been operating here without their approval they will assume we are hostile, especially since we will likely have disrupted some of their businesses. They have the resources to employ other ninja and might well send them after us. We could mitigate those risks by not returning to Yuni, but this is the main center of trade and population in Iron; our resources and options would be severely constrained if we were not able to come here."

She fell silent and stood still. Her eyes were pointed at a knot in the wall near the ceiling, but Hazō was absolutely certain that she was not seeing it.

"Mori?" Wakahisa said. "Mori?" He reached out and tapped her arm gently. When that got no response he took hold of her shoulders and shook her lightly. "Mori! Hey! Wake up, Keiko!"

Mori blinked very slowly; her head pivoted slightly, her eyes passing across his face and slowly coming back into focus.

"Wakahisa?" she said, confused. She stumbled and would have fallen if he hadn't caught her and helped her to sit down on the edge of the bed.

"What just happened?" Hazō asked.

Mori blinked several times like someone just waking up from a heavy sleep. "Nothing," she said. "I am fine. I merely went a little too deep. It is difficult to analyze things with so many variables."

"Yeaaaah, how about you never do that again?" Wakahisa said, trying to sound casual and failing. It was at this point that Mori finished waking up, or whatever the term was, registered Wakahisa's hand on her shoulder, and moved away so fast it could have been a chakra-enhanced leap.

"Let's leave the Yak alone until Inoue-sensei comes back," Hazō said. "We should talk about it with her."

"Definitely," Wakahisa said. Mori nodded dreamily.

"Wakahisa, what about you? Did you find anything useful?" Hazō asked.

Wakahisa shot him an annoyed look. "Of course!" he said. "What, you think I was slacking?"

"No! I just...." Hazō sighed, then tried again. "No," he said. "That came out wrong. What I should have said was 'what did you find?'" He gritted his teeth a little and forced himself to finish without sounding sullen. "I'm sorry for the mistake—I wasn't trying to be insulting."

"Good," Wakahisa said. Like Hazō , he took a breath and clearly forced himself to be calm. "Sorry, didn't mean to snap. I'm a little stressed about all this."

"I think we all are," Hazō said, grateful to have defused things. "Anyway, trying again: what did you find?"

Wakahisa dug in his pocket and pulled out a folded sheet of notepaper; upon opening it, it was revealed to be covered in incomprehensible notes. Hazō wasn't quite sure whether Wakahisa had great skill in cryptography or terrible skill in penmanship.

"Okay, I found everything we were looking for," Wakahisa said, his eyes skimming over the paper. "It looks like this place has whatever we're likely to need for the foreseeable future, so that's good. High-quality paper wasn't too bad, and there's plenty of it. I sighed and looked put-upon, told the guy I was a local factor for a hill daimyo with pretensions to being a poet. The guy laughed and didn't bat an eye when I told him how much I needed. The paper was only middling expensive and the inkstones weren't too bad. The copper kettles were moderately spendy, but I talked the guy down to practically nothing. The bread, raisins, and honey weren't too bad, but the chocolate is insane. A pound of the stuff starts at ten thousand ryō and goes up; the most expensive I saw was twenty-eight thousand, and I have no idea how to judge the quality. Personally, I say we just steal it."

Hazō and Wakahisa reflexively glanced at Mori, having gotten used to her assessing any plan they came up with. She was still sitting passively and staring at her fingers as they twined nervously back and forth in her lap. The two boys looked back at each other and silently agreed that they weren't going to push.

"Did you—" Hazō caught himself. "What sort of prices were you able to get?"

rolz.org said:
Wakahisa, Diplomacy (haggling):
sum 4 1D100 => 83 ; 52 ; 63 ; 1 ; total=199

Pots Merchant [kettle], Diplomacy (haggling): sum 2 1D100 => 54 ; 16 ; total=70

rolz.org said:
sum 4 1D100 => 4 ; 41 ; 77 ; 97 ; total=219

Scribe [paper / ink], Diplomacy (haggling):
sum 4 1D100 => 95 ; 91 ; 39 ; 10 ; total=235

rolz.org said:
sum 4 1D100 => 84 ; 83 ; 8 ; 80 ; total=255

Various Food Vendors [bread ingredients, bread, raisins, honey, tea] (haggling):
sum 4 1D100 => 77 ; 40 ; 32 ; 87 ; total=236

rolz.org said:
sum 4 1D100 => 19 ; 93 ; 51 ; 10 ; total=173

Luxury Goods Merchant [chocolate], Diplomacy (haggling):
sum 5 1D100 => 40 ; 58 ; 27 ; 85 ; 95 ; total=305

"I had them set stuff aside for us," Wakahisa said. "The kettle we can get for basically nothing, the bread, raisins, honey and tea aren't too bad, but the chocolate is going to cost. A LOT. Assuming we go for the middle of the range on the chocolate, we're looking at about thirty thousand ryō for everything together.

Hazō winced. "That's a lot," he said.

"Hey, you want to try beating decent prices for things you don't know squat about out of grabby merchants while you have to be careful not to sound like a foreigner, you go for it," Wakahisa said angrily.

Hazō held up both hands placatingly. "I wasn't criticizing," he said. "Just noticing. Mori, what kind of money are we looking at for those various jobs?"

"Highly skilled bodyguards with excellent references command up to eight hundred ryō an hour," Mori said. She was sounding less out of it, but her voice was shaking slightly in exchange. "Although it is highly variable, and I suspect that most clients simply negotiate a retainer with significant discount built in. Given that we are new in town and have no references, I suspect we could only earn two hundred at most. Assuming we could find employment in the first place. Also, bodyguard work tends to mostly be long-term and paid on salary, although there are a few jobs where someone needs a bodyguard for a few hours or a day while traveling to an event or a nearby town. The other jobs are extremely variable in their payment, and caravan work does not fit our timeframe."

"Suppose we give ourselves references that are actually us, under different disguises?" Wakahisa suggested.

"Stop," Hazō said quickly. "Mori, don't analyze that just yet; wait until you've recovered first. Wakahisa, that sounds like a great idea to me, but let's wait until she's a little more together before we decide on it, okay?"

Wakahisa nodded, staring at Mori and looking stricken. "Right. Sorry, Mori."

"I am fine," she said. She looked down at her shoulder where Wakahisa had touched it and shuddered. Wakahisa flinched.

rolz.org (retroactive said:
Hazō, Awareness (for simplicity, one roll for the entire time):
sum 9 1D100 => 34 ; 94 ; 79 ; 46 ; 18 ; 90 ; 7 ; 64 ; 42 ; total=474

Enemy ninja, Stealth:
total=393

Seals: total=460

Enemy ninja, Stealth:
total=274

Enemy ninja, Stealth:
total=287

Something: total=549

Hazō hurried to fill the awkward silence. "Wakahisa, great job with the prices. I think I've got some good news; there's a lot of craps games in this town, which is something I'm pretty good at. Most of them are low stakes—say, fifty ryō a bet—but I found twelve just in a couple of hours. There's also a couple of casinos with higher stakes; I didn't do any betting, but I saw some craps games with a hundred ryō minimums and five hundred table max."

"What do you mean you're 'good at craps'?" Wakahisa asked suspiciously.

"I cheat," Hazō said blandly. "But nobody's going to spot me cheating; it's a bloodline trick. Also, I memorized the probabilities when I was nine and I don't bet emotionally."

"People would still notice if we won too consistently," Mori said.

Hazō shrugged. "Yeah. Also, the casinos work on a chip system. You play with chips, then you cash out at the end. It makes it easy for them to track how much you're actually winning. The private games you can win some, lose some, and as long as you're careful you can clean people out without them noticing."

"What does security look like at the casinos?" Wakahisa asked.

"Varies a lot," Hazō said. "I checked three different casinos. They all had civilian guards floating around, armed both nonlethal and lethal. On top of that, the first casino had a ninja prowling around out in the open, plus another one blending into the crowd. The second had another ninja, also hiding. The third place was the most upscale, but I didn't see anything but civilians guarding it. It did have a bunch of seals scattered around the ceiling and the tables, disguised as patterns in the wood or whatever."

"Seals?" Wakahisa said dubiously. "That doesn't sound good."

"Yeah, I know," Hazō said. "On the other hand, they had a lot of money. There was one table with a table minimum of two thousand ryō. We could go in there and make our bank in just a few minutes."

"We do not have the table minimum," Mori pointed out. "In fact, we have almost no money whatsoever."

"Oh, right," Wakahisa said. "I also talked about selling the stuff we've got. The meat isn't worth much at all; about four hundred ryō for all of it. The steelback bristles I couldn't sell at all; none of the smiths I talked to had heard of them so they figured I was just a scam artist. Fortunately, I was using a disposable disguise when I talked to them, so it shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, sell all the meat and combine it with the two hundred that we've got left after paying for the room and we've got almost nothing in terms of spending power."

"I can win us plenty in craps," Hazō said confidently.

"Hang on," Wakahisa said. "What's this trick of yours? If we're talking about gambling as our money-making strategy, that sounds like a losing proposition."

"I used to gamble back in Mist, to help my momma pay the bills," Hazō said, his voice catching. He swallowed before continuing. "I got so good that I got banned from a lot of games. I'm pretty sure that I got sent on this mission because I pissed off some Yakuza casino owners."

"That was a seriously dumbass move," Wakahisa said.

Hazō's lips tightened, but Mori broke in before he could respond.

"Please do not fight," she said, her voice still far away.

Hazō swallowed the angry retort he'd been planning to make and took a breath. "In retrospect, yes. There were good reasons at the time and I've learned from the mistake. Let's move on."

"Okay, so what's the plan?" Wakahisa said. "We need thirty thousand ryō, and we need it fast. The bodyguard work is a possibility but a difficult one, talking to the Yak could get us a lot of money but is risky, gambling has some major risks, and the other stuff sounds pretty uncertain."

Mori sat silent, hands folded in her lap. Hazō pondered.

"I think first we should get some lunch," he said. "Personally, I'm hungry. Wakahisa, could you give me a hand carrying? Mori, why don't you see if you can sleep a bit, get yourself back together; Wakahisa and I can bring something back"—he turned quickly to Wakahisa—"that is, if you don't mind helping me carry stuff?"

"Hm," Mori said, not looking at him.

Wakahisa looked at her, clearly torn, but shook his head. "Sure," he said, and followed Hazō out the door.

The two boys found a noodle shop and ordered some ramen to go; it was the cheapest food they could find, but it was still forty ryō a bowl.

While they waited, Hazō turned to Wakahisa. "Can we talk?" he said. "There's some tension between us, and I'd like to get rid of it if we can."

Wakahisa looked surprised, but nodded. "Okay," he said. "Talk."

"You and I have been striking sparks on each other, and it's getting worse," Hazō said. "You're a smart guy with good ideas, and we're living in a dangerous situation. We can't afford to have problems in the team, so I'd like to know what to do about it. How can we work together better?"

Wakahisa blinked. "Well, for one thing, you could stop assuming you're the leader and we all need to do what you say," he said. "Shikigami-sensei didn't know us from a hole in the ground. He chose you as leader pretty much at random, and I don't see why that should still hold true."

"Okay," Hazō said. "I can work on that. Do you have a specific problem with my leadership?"

"You miss things," Wakahisa said. "Like when you proposed fighting the steelback hand-to-hand. That was s—" He cut himself off, then continued more diplomatically. "I don't think that was the best approach."

Hazō nodded. "True, it wasn't. And you pointed that out and I changed the plan. Personally, I'd say that leaders don't have to be right all the time, they just need to be able to get everyone moving in a good direction and then not be too proud to take suggestions from people who have better ideas. Is that fair?"

"Yeah," Wakahisa said. "It's fair."

"Okay," Hazō said. "I'm guessing you'd like to be leader?"

"Uh...." Wakahisa paused, clearly not wanting to sound arrogant by answering 'yes'. "I think I'd be good at it," he said instead.

"What exactly would it look like, for you to be the leader?" Hazō said. "How would it work in practice?"

"Well, I'd propose plans and we'd do them," Wakahisa said.

"You'd take input from us, right?" Hazō asked. "After all, I don't think either of us is as good at spotting holes in plans as Mori is." He flashed Wakahisa a grin—a perfect grin, the same one that he'd once given to a friend in school when they'd agreed on a wicked prank. "That's not on us, though—she cheats like crazy with that bloodline of hers, though."

Wakahisa laughed. "Yeah, true," he said. "And yeah, I'd ask you guys for input."

"Okay," Hazō said. "So you being in charge would be you proposing plans, the three of us talking about them, and then—assuming we all agree that the plan is good—we do them. Right?"

"Yeah," Wakahisa said.

"What's stopping you?" Hazō said.

"What?" Wakahisa said.

"You're welcome to propose plans," Hazō said. "If I think they're good, I'm certainly not going to vote against them. I really doubt Mori would either."

"Yeah, but—" Wakahisa stopped, then tried again. "You're always pushing your plans out first," he said.

Hazō nodded. "Okay. I'll slow down, give you a chance to get yours in first. You don't mind if I suggest plans, I assume? You did say that you'd take input."

"Yeah, that's fine," Wakahisa said.

"Okay, good," Hazō said. "Do you mind if I make a suggestion now?"

"Go ahead," Wakahisa said.

"If you want to lead, you need to be focused on more than just whether we take the bodyguard job or the escort job," Hazō said. "You need to think more long-term, think about things that could get in the way. Things like bad team dynamics."

Wakahisa's lips thinned as he saw the trap. "Thanks for the suggestion," he said tightly.

Hazō nodded, the point made. "Anyway, what do you think we should do for money, O fearless leader?" He said it lightly, smiling widely and inviting Wakahisa to be part of the joke.

Wakahisa smiled back, then glanced around and lowered his voice. "You really can win at craps?" he said. "Reliably?"

Hazō nodded. "You know how craps works—the shooter rolls two dice and whatever number comes up with is the point. If he rolls two, three, or twelve then he craps out and loses his bet. Seven or eleven, he wins immediately. Otherwise he keeps rolling until he get the point again, but he loses if he rolls a seven before rolling the point. Once he loses, he passes the dice to the left." He waited until Wakahisa nodded, because Hazō actually had no confidence that the boy knew how to play craps.

"Anyway," Hazō said. "Because of my bloodline I can roll any number that I've rolled before with that pair of dice. I'll lose a few in the beginning until I learn how to roll seven and one of the good point numbers, but after that the dice will do whatever I tell them to. The only problem is if they switch dice on me."

Wakahisa nodded his understanding. "That's a pretty cool bloodline," he noted. "But that dice-switching thing sounds bad."

"Yeah, seriously," Hazō said. "It won't happen in the private games, though—well, not unless someone's cheating. The problem is that the casinos switch the dice periodically and they give you a choice of four pairs at the start of each round. I'd need to be able to tell the difference, and they might start to notice if I always chose the same set, so I'd have to learn all the pairs in each set. We'd lose a few bets here and there, but in general I can make as much as I want, as long as I'm careful to lose some too."

"Probably smart if you lose your entire stake and Mori and I do the winning," he said.

"Yeah, good plan," Hazō said, just as the chef set three bowls of ramen in front of them, packaged for take-out. "C'mon, let's get back to Mori and figure out what we're doing."

XP AWARD: 17

Chapter 19: The Bodyguards' Gamble

The night passed as such nights often do with an unsupervised genin team.

Hazō: Deception said:
Wakahisa: Deception said:

"You're cheating!" Wakahisa shouted, red in the face, as Hazō smoothly slid the last of Wakahisa's currant buns across the table. He'd decided at the outset that there was no point gambling with money—right now, theirs was in a common pool anyway—but some kind of motivating factor was still necessary. And if that motivating factor ended up indulging Hazō's sweet tooth, well, there had to be some perks to being an instructor.

Hazō nodded slowly, as if talking down to someone with a severe cognitive deficiency. "Yes, I'm cheating. I'm a ninja."

Then he remembered the earlier conversation. "But well done for catching me," he added hastily. "That was the real point of the exercise. I think you're ready to gamble for real."

Of course, Hazō had been successfully cheating at gambling for years, and Wakahisa was about as likely to actually catch him at it as he was to speak multiple sentences to Mori without putting his foot in his mouth. But, as Inoue-sensei said, submission was sometimes the ultimate form of control, and if he could maintain Wakahisa's soap-bubble ego merely by pretending to lose at something he wasn't really invested in…

Still, it was probably best to change the subject (and that definitely had nothing to do with the fact that Mori had been watching the game like a hawk, and it was her turn to gamble against him next). Hazō initiated Transformation Technique practice by turning into one of the more ridiculous mercenaries he'd seen around town—a small, rat-faced man with an ugly smirk and a sword at his belt so heavy it kept pulling down his trousers at inconvenient moments. Hazō didn't actually imitate this last part, but he certainly managed to imply it, leading to a lot of embarrassed laughter.

Mori was next. Seemingly at a loss for creative ideas, she ended up creating what looked like a late teens-version of herself, complete with sleek raven hair, a slender figure and an assassin's poise. It took a pointed look from Hazō for Wakahisa to pick up his jaw off the floor before Mori noticed (not that Hazō could claim to be entirely unaffected, but his long acquaintance with Inoue-sensei had wired instinctive suspicion of gorgeous women into some level of his brain).

Finally, it was Wakahisa's turn. Wakahisa transformed into a comically exaggerated version of Inoue-sensei, with pouting lips, a sultry expression, prominent hips, and such tremendous… secret weapons… that they must have strained the mass limits on Wakahisa's Transformation Technique. He proceeded to wink and then make an uncannily accurate impression of Inoue-sensei blowing a kiss the way she did before one of her "catch me if you can" training sessions.

Hazō's laughter was interrupted only when Mori, initially stunned, gave a loud "hmph!" and stalked off downstairs, pausing only to give the boys one of her "I thought better of you than this" looks.

"Don't say it," Wakahisa told Hazō as the sound of Mori's footsteps faded away.
-o-​

"Three thousand each?" Hazō repeated.

"Three thousand each," the tall, bald man confirmed, glancing back at his three other bodyguards (one of whom, alarmingly, was short, rat-faced and with an overly heavy sword). "It's a simple two-day trip, but I don't feel like being eaten by wood pigeons on the way."

"Wood pigeons?" Wakahisa echoed incredulously.

"Not from around here, huh? That's good. Shima will tell you all about the local critters on the way. Are you ready to set out now?" The man hefted a very large bag over one shoulder. His sleeve dropped down, exposing some very elaborate tattoos.

Client: Deception said:

"You're not telling us something," Hazō replied. "And three thousand each for two days for six bodyguards is an awful lot of money."

"You already have three whom you know," Mori added, "and you are willing to hire us without recommendation. You are planning to use us as sacrificial pieces while your real bodyguards protect you, keeping you and them safe and negating the need to pay our fee afterwards."

The man tensed, as did his bodyguards.

Wakahisa: Diplomacy said:

Client: Diplomacy said:

"Five thousand," Wakahisa said firmly. "Five thousand each, and you tell us exactly what is going on here, and for that you'll get top-class bodyguards and we'll see you and your possessions safely to Hanaoka. Between us, we've killed steelbacks, hunter-killer dragonflies, dropbears, entire swarms of waterbugs and chakra voles, and more other monsters than I can even remember.

"Or," he went on, "we could go out there and spread the word that you're trying to leave town in a hurry, and planning to cheat any bodyguards you hire."

Silence reigned for a few seconds.

"Fine," the man sighed, sounding more impressed than aggravated. "The local authorities and I have had a... fierce disagreement over the ownership of some property, and I need to disappear fast. I've got contacts in Hanaoka who can make that happen, but I've got to get there in one piece first. And since I'm talking about the real local authorities, not those pompous fools in city hall, I'm expecting you guys to have to fight off at least one pack of yakuza enforcers on the way. So if you don't mind, I'd like to not waste any more time."

Wakahisa shook his head. "No, now that we've established the real conditions for this job offer, my associates and I need to confer. You wait here."

Wakahisa took the other two around the corner.

"Wow, Wakahisa, that was actually pretty impressive," Hazō grudgingly admitted.

Wakahisa gave a not-particularly-modest shrug. "Inoue-sensei's been coaching me on dealing with guys like him. So, Mori, what do you think?"

Mori's eyes slowly unfocused.

"Wait, no, Mori! Don't do the thing!"

She blinked at Wakahisa's sudden reaction. "The… thing?"

"The thing. With your brain. You know…" Wakahisa, tongue firmly tied in a knot, glanced at Hazō for support.

"You shouldn't overuse your ability," Hazō elaborated, thinking back to the state she was in the last time she did. "Just… um… think about it normally, I guess?"

Mori seemed puzzled, but didn't argue. She took a few seconds to consider.

"The risks involved are injury or death in a combat encounter, finding ourselves in direct opposition to the yakuza, and being revealed as ninja. The first is not significant, as we will only be dealing with standard monsters and civilian combatants. The second should not be a problem as long as we have our disguises. Using disguises in combat is suboptimal, but we could manage through use of conventional weapons to avoid direct physical contact, or… by ensuring that there are no survivors who have seen our real appearances. The third is the greatest issue, but our client will not be in any position to alert anyone locally, nor will he have anything to gain by reporting the mere existence of missing-nin in this area.

"We also have to weigh the risks this will prevent. By accepting a two-day mission outside the town, we will minimise any risks of exposure and/or confrontation with the yakuza or with local ninja, as well as of any mishaps that could occur while gambling. Of course, the high guaranteed income is also important."

"Hazō?" Wakahisa asked.

"I don't like the idea of trying to fight in disguise, but I do like the idea of collapsing all the risks involved in making money here down to just one or two battles out in the wilderness where we'll have full control of the situation."

"Great. Sounds like we've got a plan," Wakahisa announced with an unexpected smile. "Let's go, team."
-o-​

She was there, somewhere, in the shadows, in a deep pool of liquid darkness. All she needed was a hand, a single helping hand to grab onto, but he wasn't close enough to reach. She was looking at him as she drowned, with eyes of despair and recrimination. "Why did you abandon me, cricket? Why weren't you here to save me?"

Hazō woke up with a start, years of conditioning kicking in to keep his body still no matter how fast his heart beat. He could always almost reach, his fingers close enough to feel the warmth of her, but they never touched. The darkness always got her in the end. He knew what it represented, of course. And he knew that if he couldn't beat it in his dreams, there was always its source in the waking world. One day…

Mori was on watch right now. Well, if he couldn't sleep, maybe he should go sit with her. The two had never really talked very much, and a team leader ought to…

Sigh. Hazō didn't trust Wakahisa with the team leadership, not really. The egalitarian approach he'd proposed was the best compromise he could come up with, but on some level it still rankled. However he'd ended up there, Hazō had been a good team leader. He'd kept the team safe, and effective, up until their escape with Inoue-sensei, and even after that, he'd played a distinct part in making things work. He resented having to give that up just because Wakahisa was too immature to accept a hierarchy where he wasn't at the top. Wakahisa lacked the self-control and reliability to be a team leader, or the ability to see the bigger picture. And while Mori was eminently reliable, and scarily intelligent, she didn't have the initiative needed for leadership. Which meant that, in Inoue-sensei's absence, it really ought to have been Hazō.

Still, being in charge wasn't the same as being in control, and it was being in control that mattered. It was a distinction that Inoue-sensei had explained to him once, and perhaps it was what he needed in order to deal with this problem.

Hazō was jerked out of his thoughts by Wakahisa, also failing to be asleep, walking up to join Mori. He initially thought to go over there as well, but then decided against it. It would be easier for Wakahisa to attempt a normal conversation with Mori if he didn't have Hazō to argue with at the same time. Instead, Hazō just listened.
-o-​

"Hey, Mori," Wakahisa sat down on the tree branch next to her.

"Wakahisa? It is not your shift yet."

"I know. I couldn't sleep. Kept thinking about stuff."

"That happens to me as well," Mori said sympathetically, then went back to staring out into the forest.

They sat in silence for a little bit.

"Mori, can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"What's up with that Bloodline Limit of yours?"

"What do you mean?" Mori gave him a strange look.
"That, uh, trance thing you go into. How does it work? What happens? Is it safe?"

Mori looked up at the sky.

"I do not know how to describe it to an outsider. It is… it is like transforming everything into ice. Perfectly clear ice, so that you can see all the way through it, and see how everything fits together. It is beautiful. Only you have to turn yourself into ice as well. And the further you go…

She hesitated.

"Ice does not care about anything," she finally said, her voice quiet. "Ice does not care about being a person again."

Wakahisa stared at her in horror. "That sounds terrifying. How can you do something like that to yourself? How can they make you do it?"

Mori's eyes flashed. "I'm a Mori. This is what we do. We train, and we learn special techniques, and we master ourselves so that we can use our power for the good of the village. We are not victims, Wakahisa. It is an insult to suggest that we are."

"I'm sorry! That's not what I meant at all!" Wakahisa backpedalled urgently. "I just meant… uh… that it must be very difficult to learn how to do what you do. I mean, Wakahisa chakra training is pretty rough too. No one ever appreciates what it means to have your chakra system torn out, rearranged and then stuck back in sideways. And then they just take you for granted because you have a support speciality."

Mori turned towards him unexpectedly. "That is exactly it! Nobody outside the clan considers the thousands of hours you must spend training in order to use your abilities. They just expect you to provide what they need whenever they need it, and the rest of the time you may as well be scenery. And in the meantime somebody else receives all the praise because their clan speciality is summoning giant crabs, even if they can only summon one the size of a dog because they spend all their time flaunting their meagre skills in front of the boys instead of ninjutsu practice."

Wakahisa laughed.

The two smiled at each other.

Mori: Awareness said:
Wakahisa: Awareness said:
Hazō: Awareness said:
???: Stealth said:

Mori and Hazō only just made it to the terrified client in time, with a confused (and disappointed) Wakahisa following half a second later. The assassin leapt back, over the three civilian bodyguards' bodies...

... and into formation with the other two enemy ninja.

-o-​

You receive 20 XP, but right now you have bigger problems.

[] FIGHT!
[] RUN!
[] SKILL!
[] ITEM!
[] STEAL!
[] TALK!
[] AUTO-BATTLE! (not recommended)

Custom input accepted.

Voting closes on Saturday the 20th, 9 am Pacific Standard Time.

Last edited:
Chapter 20: Epic Diplomancy
Mori and Hazō only just made it to the terrified client in time, with a confused (and disappointed) Wakahisa following half a second later. The assassin leapt back, over the three civilian bodyguards' bodies...

... and into formation with the other two enemy ninja.

The world slowed around Hazō , lines drawing themselves through the air around him, the skintight tunnels of the Kurosawa bloodline mapping his library of movements across the infinite possibility space of the real world.

Tonfa: close combat specialist, strong on defense. Leave her for Wakahisa; paper to rock. Bandoleers: ranged. Hazō's target, rock to scissors. Unknown...ninjutsu?...genjutsu? Leave for Keiko--ranged attacks and analysis gifts best match for wildcard.

• Team at stake, do not hold back: activate boost
  • Lightning-fire racing through veins that thrum with the power of chakra as strength and speed flood the body that has become nothing but a far-off puppet of his will and the Kurosawa blood
  • Open mouth to speak words, must take care, force sound to come out slow, comprehensible: Black Flag! the command to send team into all-out alpha strike, each against their best target—wait!
Client: Had already seen team Body Flicker, knew they were ninja, must be silenced. Kill? Perhaps. Might be salvaged. Disable...ah. Grab, fling to Wakahisa for—

"You bastard!" Wakahisa says, grabbing the client and spinning him around so that the man's body is between himself and the enemy. In the momentary concealment, Wakahisa flicks through the two handseals of the Water Whip; a water construct surges down his arms and out of his sleeves. A subtle tug and the client's shirt is untucked, his hara exposed. Water slips in, spilling across the client's body and sucking the strength out of him in seconds even as the genin punches the man in the face and knocks him flat, pulling the Whip back into his sleeve at the same time to keep it hidden.

"You never said anything about ninja!" Wakahisa says, kicking the unconscious body at his feet while Hazō trembles with the effort to restrain his chakra-enhanced body, prevent himself from leaping to the attack, calling the words, must go slow must go slow, stand down....

The enemy ninja look at each other in confusion. It's only for an instant, but it's a gap in the armor of their awareness, a failure of attention. It would have been enough--could have killed the wildcard right then: flicker, high side kick to crush skull, spin, plant foot, mule kick to ranged enemy, Black Flag to call down a storm of kunai and a crushing Water Whip, the power of his team becoming an extension of his own body as he dances through the enemy's futile attempts at blocking....

"Stand down, everyone," Wakahisa says, waving at his team without looking away from the enemy, not stupid, not slow like them, keeping the armor tight; enemy male's hand drifting so very slowly to kunai on belt kill! no, hold, wait—

"Look, guys, you're here for him, right?" Wakahisa says, stepping slightly forward, arms spread—good, smooth gesture to defuse tension, diffuse attention, movement is in the library from six-year-old self's playground scuffles, prevented a fight then, maybe now?

"He hired us to escort him to Hanaoka," Wakahisa says. "We figured he just didn't want to get eaten by a chakra vole. He never said anything about ninja; it's not in the contract, it's not our problem. You want him? You got him. We'll take the money he promised us, we're gone. You're welcome to him."

What? Enemy male's hand has stopped moving, enemy are looking at each other again, so weak, opening wider this time, so easy, so easy—

rolz.org said:
Wakahisa, Diplomacy:
sum 6 1D100 => 71 ; 82 ; 70 ; 68 ; 76 ; 52 ; total=419

Enemy ninja girl, Diplomacy:
total=246
Crushing defeat!

"We are of the Yakuza," the wildcard girl says. "We were assigned to retrieve what he stole. I cannot let you take anything from him." Seam at edge of voice, covering hesitation, uncertainty, weakness, so easy so easy—

"I get that," Wakahisa says. "Still, you're ninja, you see what is to be seen. You're facing three ninja of unknown skill and specialization. Fighting us is a pointless risk; even if you win, some of you will get killed. Maybe all of you, in which case you fail your mission."

The girl's face starts to twist, muscles shifting into an angry sneer; good. Anger is distraction, focuses her attention on teammate, narrows her focus, opens her to attack from the side—

Wakahisa sees her expression changing and smoothly cuts her off. "We don't want to fight," he says. The girl blinks in surprise. "This piece of trash"—Wakahisa waves towards the unconscious client, seeming to move so slowly when seen through the gleaming spark that is chakra boost—"hired us for escorts, but didn't tell us that he was being chased by Yakuza ninja. We had enough of being betrayed by our superiors before we left our village, and we certainly aren't going to take it from some piece of crap civilian."

Wakahisa's casual shrug distracts enemy further, scatters their awareness; they don't know how to respond, their centering is disrupted, so easy, so easy—

"Look," Wakahisa says. "He promised us eight thousand each for the escort job, but I know he's carrying at least twice that. Is a few thousand ryō really worth a risk of dying—or, worse, of failing your mission? Wouldn't it be better to let us take the money and walk away so that you can get home quickly to tell your employers that there are other missing-nin in the area?" He flashes her an easy smile and a wink. "Missing-nin, may I add, who have no problem working for anyone who has money and doesn't lie to their employees or hide important information from them."

"Perhaps," says the girl, attention shattered, center disrupted, trying to shift gears, losing focus.

rolz.org said:
Wakahisa, Diplomacy:
sum 7 1D100 => 99 ; 69 ; 48 ; 46 ; 11 ; 100 ; 58 ; total=431
(6 dice + 1 for killing intent)

Enemy ninjagirl, Diplomacy:
total=89
EPIC FAIL!

"I'm not going to argue this," Wakahisa says, cold iron pouring from his voice. The cloud of his will presses down on the enemy, the edges of it winding around Hazō like trails of icy mist. "Me and my friends are walking out of here in thirty seconds. Whether we do it over your dead bodies is up to you, but the money goes with us."

"All right," the girl says, stepping back and raising her hands placatingly, her body open, balance disrupted, kunai would slide in so easily right there. "You're right. Fighting does no one any good. Take the money and go."

"Good," Wakahisa says. "The money's in his tunic. I'm going to get it now, so just stay cool." He steps backwards, foot sweeping a smooth arc, still in contact with the ground to test for obstructions, good, balance not perfect easy to disrupt with kick to ankle must work on that during sparring but gently mind the ego wait wait slow slow—

Wakahisa sinks smoothly to one knee and rummages in the client's tunic, his eyes never leaving the enemy. He sorts the bills by touch, pulling out twenty-four thousand and leaving the rest before straightening up.

"Our employers are always interested in hiring ninja," the girl says, attempting to regain control that she never had in the first place, her posture giving away her submission, her lack of awareness, her weakness. Enemy has drawn together, too close. Unless they have more group-fighting practice than seems likely they will foul each other if attacked. Victory would be so easy, there's a tunnel right there that ends with the right fist crushing the wildcard's throat, the left smashing her diaphragm, both hands open and grip to lift the body, hurl it into remaining enemies—

"Sounds good," Wakahisa says. "We'll be in touch as soon as we figure out how to do it safely for all concerned. We'll identify with code word 'thornbush'." He straightens and steps back, opening the range, back and back and back. The team follows, slotting into place smoothly around Wakahisa; Keiko and Hazō stay turned slightly out, minding sides and rear while Wakahisa takes front. When they've gone far enough to risk their backs, they turn and leap away. Time to put some ground under their feet.

"That was extraordinary," Mori said. "I could not imagine us ending that encounter without combat, and certainly not with the money." She smiled at him.

Wakahisa shrugged, giving her a cocky smile. He was on one knee, his hand in the river to absorb chakra to replenish their supply. Unbelievably, he managed to make the posture look cool. "It seemed better this way," he said.

Hazō laughed. "I'd say so," he says. It was easy to be honest; Wakahisa had pulled off something remarkable and, miraculously, was managing to not be smug about it.

"See, Kurosawa?" Wakahisa said. "Told you I'd be a good leader."

Well, not too smug.

Hazō opened a hand in acknowledgement. "You're right," he said. "So. What now, O Fearless Leader? We've got enough money for the chocolate, but not for everything together. What's the plan from here?"

XP AWARD: 21

Four days remain before Kagome's deadline. There's still no sign of Inoue-sensei, and you're eight thousand ryō short of being able to buy everything you need. Your client is gone and your current disguises are compromised, although your true identities are probably still secure.

Voting ends on Wednesday, February 24, 2016, at 12pm UTC. Next update is by @Velorien.

Chapter 21, Part 1: Business, Concluded

After walking into town as a trio of poor (and legitimately exhausted) labourers, Wakahisa proposed his plan for getting a room at an inn without tipping off anyone watching that a group of three strange visitors was in town. It was a mark of the group's collective tiredness that no one bothered to argue.

Hazō was the one to pay for the room. Half an hour after he headed upstairs, Mori and Wakahisa turned up, both in sexy teenage girl forms, giggling and unsubtly inquiring which room their "friend" was in. Hazō strongly suspected that Wakahisa had ulterior motives for making Mori take an aged-up, underdressed transformation. Mori , meanwhile, showed unprecedented multitasking abilities, combining airheaded giggling directed at the receptionist with an aura of savage bloodlust directed at Wakahisa.​

The knock on the door came minutes after they were done settling in. All of them smoothly moved their hands to the kunai their disguises didn't have, then back again.

"Come in!"

The visitor was a middle-aged man in a non-descript black suit, with a perpetual ironic smile hovering around his lips. There was something in the way he moved, his face and body relaxed and his eyes not bothering to make an initial sweep of the room, that managed to say "I own this place and a thousand like it—this is just scenery to me".

"Good evening, gentleman, ladies, or whatever your true genders may be. I am Twist, a representative of the Yamada Group. We are the organisation responsible for overseeing commercial activity in Yuni and other regional population centres."

Hazō and the others gave various forms of wary nod.

"I am here to collect a certain debt that the three of you owe the Yamada Group. I am given to understand that you have taken possession of twenty-four thousand ryō belonging to us. In addition, since you are responsible for the failure of a shinobi mission funded by the Group, which entailed retrieval of the full sum, you are also liable for the total fees of three shinobi."

Hazō frowned. "I'm sorry, sir, but I think you have us confused with someone else. My friends and I don't know anything about twenty-four thousand ryō or a shinobi mission."

Twist: Deception said:

Twist somehow managed to roll his eyes without moving them in the slightest. It suggested a mastery of micro-expressions beyond anything they'd been taught as ninja.

"I believe you don't entirely understand the scale of the organisation you've crossed. The Yamada Group easily has the funds to hire specialists when necessary. A number of such specialists, in fact, are on standby outside this establishment, so as to ensure a satisfactory and peaceful resolution to our discussion.

"Now, to the matter of the debt."

Hazō swapped glances with his teammates.

"Can we have a couple of minutes to confer, please?"

Twist nodded. "By all means."

-o-​

"Thoughts?" Hazō asked, already having several but not wanting to tread on Wakahisa's toes as the Master Diplomancer.

"Well, we can't fight them," Wakahisa nervously replied. "The yakuza can afford enough ninja to wipe the floor with us."

"And returning the money to them is not an option given the amount of time we have remaining," Mori added. "Nor can we offer to provide an equivalent amount of labour, for the same reason."

"That's right," Hazō said. "We'll have to leave in order to see Kagome, and how could they ever trust us to come back? We are not leaving hostages as collateral on my watch—" He bit his tongue, but it was too late.

Fortunately, Wakahisa was preoccupied enough not to notice, though Hazō noticed Mori giving him an unreadable look.

"Uh, anyway," Hazō quickly went on, "Mori, do you have any ideas? Between our three skillsets, there's got to be some non-obvious way to turn this around."

Mori looked thoughtful for a few seconds. "Now that you mention it…"
-o-​

Twist: Diplomacy said:

"I think we started off on the wrong foot," Wakahisa told Twist. "You have to consider our perspective on this whole thing. We took on a typical escort job for an individual that the Yamada Group had not publicly announced to be working against its interests. We were then accosted, without provocation, by a ninja team."

Hazō: Deception/Intimidation said:
Twist: Deception said:

"A ninja team which would have been child's play to wipe out at our level," Hazō added in a soft voice, like a stiletto sinking into a velvet cushion.

"However," Wakahisa continued, "we chose not to force the Yamada Group to lose valuable assets, and instead left with nothing but the mission fee we were owed. We even accepted the hit to our reputation for failing a job, and I'm sure a representative of an organisation like yours appreciates that reputation is everything. If anything, it is we who made sacrifices, on multiple levels, out of respect for the Yamada Group."

Mori chimed in, cool and dry like an accountant. "Financially speaking, the loss of income for the Yamada Group from this series of events is close to trivial. As a conservative estimate, it is equivalent to the weekly earnings from the Ginza, Kinji or Kamomura casinos. You also receive the reputational gain from the swift capture and return of a renegade member, again as a result of our actions."

"I would like to emphasise," Wakahisa concluded, "that we are not demanding compensation from the Yamada Group for interfering with our mission. Your present actions, on the other hand, could be mistaken for extortion, something ninja traditionally respond to with the use of force.

"Now, you could go back to your superiors, and explain to them that you chose to alienate a powerful ninja team, leading to a confrontation with great collateral damage, and injury and death for a number of expensive hired specialists. Assuming, of course, that you yourself are not caught in the crossfire of a large-scale battle. Or you could tell them that you were not only able to prevent a confrontation between said team and the Yamada Group, but also to extract a formal apology—something we are prepared to provide as a show of good faith. Additionally, you will be returning with valuable information obtained for free, namely the location of our former client's contact, and the time at which they are scheduled to meet."

There was a few seconds' pause.

"Nice job," Inoue-sensei announced.
-o-​

"You know," Hazō told Inoue-sensei, "that testing thing of yours is getting really old."

Inoue-sensei laughed, and inevitably ruffled his hair. "Oh, this is nothing. My instructor used to use genjutsu to make me believe I'd been captured by Hidden Cloud, and expect me to talk my way out of being tortured for information I didn't have."

"Tip of the day, kids: treasure your fingernails," she added in exactly the same light-hearted tone.

"Anyway, that was pretty smooth. You've really matured in my absence. Which is weird, since I've only been gone a couple of days, but I'm not going to look a gift raptor in the mouth. But it's late, so you guys hurry up and report everything that's happened so I can either start putting out fires, or preferably go to sleep."
-o-​

"So let me get this straight. You took on a job with someone on the run from the yakuza. You didn't cover your tracks well enough to prevent pursuit by a bunch of common-or-garden genin. You didn't secure your camp properly. And then you let down your guard to the point where you lost the civilian escorts, and very nearly lost your client.

"And then you handed the client over to the people you were supposed to protect him from, robbed him, and ran away."

Nobody had anything to say in reply. Impulses of self-justification flickered, and then died unspoken.

Inoue-sensei let the sense of impending doom build for a while. Then, finally, she sighed. "Well, you made a bunch of excellent judgement calls in the moment of crisis. And those judgement calls just about managed to compensate for the spontaneous three-way brain death that led to you getting into that crisis to begin with.

"You also managed to gather a lot of money quickly without exposing your identities or drawing unhealthy amounts of attention, and you've set yourselves up with a potential in with the yakuza. For these reasons, and also because frankly I'm too damn tired, I'm going to go easy on you this time round."

"Um, Inoue-sensei, what about the Liberator's followers? What did you find out?"
-o-​

It was a dark and stormy night. Fujiwara Yūji hated dark and stormy nights. They brought back bad memories. So he had a lot of praise to offer his ancestors when Haka spotted a shallow cave, an ideal camping site, exactly on their path through the hills. Better yet, the place was empty, with nothing but a few human-sized boulders that must have fallen from the ceiling in some minor earthquake.

If Yūji had ever had any doubts that greater powers were watching over him, they would have vanished when another, even greater miracle occurred—over an hour of rest went by without Yagami griping about one thing or another.

But of course, no joy lasts forever.

"I still say," Yagami insisted, brandishing a leg of ham donated by the last crop of villagers, "that we shouldn't be dealing with these backwater settlements. Nothing but yokels, narrow-minded and worthless to the Liberator's cause even if they did have the sense to join up. Yuni is only a few days away. Soft beds! Cooked food! Uh, I mean, lots of missing-nin to bring back to the fortress! Think of the glory if we were the ones to recruit even a few. Next time it might be us chosen for the samurai experiments."

Yūji gave him a long-suffering look as he shifted a little closer to the fire. "We've been over this. Our assigned duty is to drum up support among the common folk. We can't afford to draw attention to the New Samurai Army until we're ready to defend ourselves from the ninja villages. Do you know how many village ninja there are in Yuni, openly or in disguise? No? Well, neither do I. That's why we leave missing-nin recruitment to the Big Four. Unless you want to be captured and tortured for information, and made to betray the Liberator before they devour your soul with their evil ninja magic, be a man and suck it up."

There was a snort from Haka, who wasn't permitted to speak at recruitment gatherings due to his abysmal sense of humour. One more time, Yūji wished their group had been assigned one of the sensible hunters. But Haka did the job, at least insofar as his skills kept the group well-provisioned out here in the wilds, and it took levels of seniority Yūji didn't have if he wanted to pick his own team. Still, he was patient, just as the Liberator taught. The time was coming when Yūji's kind would be uplifted as the new rulers of the world, and the likes of Yagami hopefully sent to the front lines to die for the greater good.
-o-​

Noburi thought he'd hated menial labour before. Now he realised that he'd only been feeling mild dislike. Real hatred took a morning like this one, in which an overfilled warehouse had presented him with an endless series of crate puzzles to solve, while steadily wearing down his stamina. And now he was the one deputised to conduct the group's shopping—all the shopping, all of it—while Kurosawa and Mori were doubtless relaxing back at the inn. And she was still giving him the evil eye. It wasn't like he'd been asking anything of her that he wasn't prepared to do himself.

The merchants of Yuni: Diplomacy said:

On the plus side, the group had been wise to choose him to represent them. His silver tongue had saved them a lot of gold, so to speak. Three thousand shiny ryō, all the fruit of his labours. He bowed politely to the merchant, and turned to leave the inn (this particular guy being a caravan trader without his own stall at the market; he merely rented an upstairs room and relied on his reputation).

Something made him hesitate as he was leaving the room. He heard two voices coming from downstairs, one rough and gravelly, the other high-pitched and anxious.

"Have there been any groups of three strangers renting a room here recently?"

Oh, crap.

"No, sir. We had four come in yesterday, but mostly it's ones and twos."

"Hmph. I figured. All right, I'm going to go quickly check your rooms. If they're smart, they'll be hiding their numbers anyway. You just stay right here."

"Sir, I… I… I must object to… to… you disturbing the privacy of our guests."

"They humiliated my team and fucked up a paid mission. I am going to get my hands on them, and if you get in my way, I'm going to show you exactly what Hidden Mist does to civilian collaborators. Are. We. Clear?"

"Here are the room keys, sir. Please go right ahead."

Don't panic. Shit shit shit I'm going to die. Don't panic. No time to panic. Shit. What do I do? Window? It's the non-opening kind. Break through it? Noise. He'll hear it and run after me. Can't outrun a chūnin. What if it's a jōnin? Going to die. Shit.

Some part of his brain taking over on autopilot, Wakahisa turned to the shopkeeper. Lie? Threaten? Throw himself on the man's mercy? Oh, he was so going to die.

His brain kicked it up a notch. What the hell, it worked yesterday.

Shopkeeper: Diplomacy said:

"Listen, I'm not here and you never saw anyone. If that guy finds me, I'm going to have to fight, and in a room this small, there's no way you'll survive a fight between two high-level ninja. So just keep quiet and everything will be fine."

The shopkeeper gave a quick, terrified nod. "Anything for my best customer."

Then Noburi thought faster than he ever had before.

First, he opened his storage scroll, and upended the contents behind the merchant, quickly arranging them so they looked like ordinary trade goods. Then he quickly pulled the mattress off the bed and put that into the storage scroll. Then he transformed into a copy of the mattress.

With admirable presence of mind, the shopkeeper threw the blanket back over Noburi's transformed form, leaving him out of direct line of sight.

A few seconds later, a tall, unshaven, grizzled-looking ninja with a Mist forehead protector walked into the room. "Hey, you. Have you seen any ninja?"

"The shopkeeper shook his head. "Not today, sir."

"Hmph."

The ninja walked over to him and yanked him up by the collar. When nothing happened, he sighed and released him.

"Damn. How many inns does one town need anyways?"

He cast a quick glance over the rest of the room, then muttered what could conceivably have been an apology, and stalked out again.

Five minutes later, Noburi fled—by a reasonably circuitous route—to the inn where the other three were staying. Their time in Yuni appeared to be up.
-o-​

It's time to return to Kagome, and do so fast. How will you accomplish this feat, and how will you deal with him once there?

Voting closes on Saturday the 27th, 9 am Pacific Standard Time.

Last edited:
Chapter 21, Part 2: How To Leave Town When You're A Ninja
"Yep, Yamad's real," Inoue-sensei said. "Not from around here, though."

"Did you by any chance scout the city when you came in, sensei?" Hazou asked.

Inoue stared at him in disbelief.

"Hello? Have you met me?" she asked.

"I just meant, is there anything you could tell us that would help us figure out how to get out of here without being caught?" he said.

She laughed and ruffled his hair in amusement. "You lot are adorable, you know that?" she said. "I really should let you flounder, but I'm feeling generous. Stop wibbling on about how to get through the gate and remember that you're a ninja. You can walk on walls and disappear into the tiniest shadow. These walls are there to keep chakra animals out, not ninja in. We'll just pick an unoccupied stretch of wall and run over it. Now, I'm gonna rack out. Don't stay up too late; we've got a big day of blowing things up tomorrow!"

Chapter 22: Seal Training, Part 1: How Not To Get Blown Up

"Kagome-sensei? It's Hazō. Kurosawa Hazō. I have your things, sensei." He walked carefully forward, holding the sealing scroll well away from his body.

"Don't move, kid," called Kagome from well back in the trees. "You'll set off the motion detectors."

Hazō froze.

"I thought we had a deal?" he said carefully. "I have everything you asked for right here...if I get blown up, all your paper and chocolate and such goes with me."

"How do I know that you're the kid I made the deal with?" Kagome asked suspiciously. "You could be somebody else under the Transformation Technique. Or a genjutsu."

"I'm not, really," Hazō said. "Here, I'll prove it's not a disguise." He knelt down and punched the ground hard enough to make his knuckles bleed.

"Could be a genjutsu," Kagome said. "Or maybe a lupchanz ate you."

"What's a lupchanz?" Hazō asked.

"Chakra monster," Kagome said, "Half plant, half animal, likes to crawl into an orifice, travel to your brain and then slowly eat it until it can totally control your body. Can use any chakra technique you know. Lupchanz."

Hazō shuddered. "That sounds horrible," he said. "I'm not a lupchanz though. I'm me."

"Yeah, that's what a lupchanz would say," Kagome said.

"Okaaaay," Hazō said. "Uh...how about this? When we first met, I fought the crabs and the chakra bird. I was throwing a kunai into the field...." He related the story of their meeting in as much detail as he could recall.

"Okay," Kagome said. "Maybe you're not a lupchanz, and you're not transformed. And I've been dispelling. Maybe it's you. Show me the stuff."

Hazō unsealed the crate containing Kagome's goods. Moving carefully so as not to alarm the very twitchy ninja in the bushes, he pried the lid off and set it on the ground, then started taking things out and putting them on the lid. First came the chocolate, then the honey—seemed smart to play to Kagome's sweet tooth—then the paper. Before he could remove any more, Kagome stopped him.

"Okay, that's good," Kagome called. "Just tip the box so I can see in."

Hazō tipped it towards the voice, reaching in with one hand to balance the wax-sealed jug of chakra ink.

"C'mon, kid, you don't think this is the real Kagome, do you?" Kagome called impatiently. "I'm just a clone. Turn it in a circle. I want to make sure there isn't a lupchanz in there waiting to eat my brain. Or maybe a hunter-nin. Or a damnbeast. Or a—"

The list went on long enough that Hazō got impatient. "Here you go," he said. He tipped the box onto one corner and spun it in a slow circle while walking around it to make sure he didn't obstruct the view from any direction.

"Okay," Kagome called. "You delivered, I guess it's my turn. You wanted seal training, right?"

"Yes please," Hazō said.

"Okay. Sit down and be quiet." He waited for Hazō to sit and shut before continuing.

"First thing: don't bother trying to learn sealing, because you'll just end up killing yourself in some horrible way," Kagome said from the trees. "Most likely you'll kill everyone near you, too. And that's assuming things go well—there's a lot worse than killing yourself that can happen.

"Second thing: If you think I'm just going to draw some pretty pictures for you, tell you to contemplate your navel for a while, and then you're going to run off and blow things up—think again! That's not how it works. Sealing isn't that pansy ninjutsu stuff that you can just teach someone. Sealing is hard! Sealing is unique to every sealsmith. Making a seal is opening a communications channel to the intelligence that resides within chakra and using your own chakra system to encode directions so that the chakra flows into your blank correctly. If you really want to kill yourself, go get in a fight with a jōnin. If you want to kill yourself horribly, learn to make seals. It's a lot slower and more painful and there's a good chance of something horrible happening at the worst time and in the most horrible way."

Kagome sure did like the word 'horrible', Hazō thought, taking care to keep a look of interest on his face as the lesson—or, rather the paranoid rambling—went on.

o-o-o-o​

"Okay, kid, we're done," Kagome's voice finally called. "I'm hungry. Get lost."

"Yes, sensei," Hazō said, standing up. He looked around carefully. "You mentioned motion detectors...?"

"Oh, right," Kagome said. "Yeah. You'll need to walk the maze to get out. Simple. You just need to step one pace right from where you are now, turn twenty degrees to the right, walk forward six steps, turn left thirty degrees, walk twenty-three paces, turn left again, walk nine...."

The directions went on and on; Hazō moved subtly through the whole list, small turns of the body and walking in place so that he had the movements safely stored in his bloodline.

"Before I leave, sensei, I have some news," Hazō said. "May I share it?"

"Go ahead," Kagome said, his voice coming from deeper in the trees than previously. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, I just wanted to extend an invitation," Hazō said. "My teammates and my sensei asked me to tell you that they appreciate the training you are offering me and, if you want to, they'd like to give you dinner and say thank you."

"What?!" Kagome said. "Your teammates are after me too? Get lost, kid!"

"The Liberator is back!" Hazō shouted just before rustling bushes heralded a ninja's clearly-stated departure.

A pregnant silence hung in the air for a moment. "The Liberator?" Kagome said. His voice came from the trees behind Hazō now.

The genin turned to face his bizarre mentor. "Yes, sensei," he said. "He's building a village up in the north end of the country. The rumor is that he's already attracted five thousand ninja and he's teaching the civilians to be samurai again."

Given how hard he was laughing, there must have been tears running down Kagome's face.

"I know, right?" Hazō said with a laugh. "Ridiculous. Still, Inoue-sensei said that there really is a village there, and there really are ninja in it, and civilians training with weapons. She didn't go in, but there were chūnin on patrol, so there's at least some reality to the story."

"You know what this means, right?" Kagome said. "Those stinking ninja stinkers in Leaf are going to burn that place to the ground. Then they'll fan out through the country looking to see if they missed anyone, and stick them in boxes to use as chakra batteries for tired ninja. Maybe they'll just put trained lupchanzen in our ears so that we do whatever they tell us. Then the other Great Village stinkers are going to decide they don't like Leaf having a large force of expendable lupchanz ninja, so they're going to unite and attack and it's going to be World War Three all over again, except this time it'll be World War Four."

"Uh...sure," Hazō said. "That could happen, I guess. Anyway, I wanted to make sure you knew. Inoue-sensei said to tell you that we're going to stick around for a while, but you're welcome to join us if you want someone to watch your back."

"Watch my back?! Watch my back?! What does she plan on doing to my back?" he demanded. "Is she going to tattoo explosive seals on my back so that she can blow me up if I don't work fast enough? Is that what she's going to do?!"

"No!" Hazō said. "We just meant that we're grateful for the training you've given me, and we'd like to show it. You don't have to take us up on it."

"Uh-huh, sure," Kagome said. "We're done here, you stinking stinker. Tattoo things on my back, will you? I don't think so! Go blow yourself up on your own time, you stinking stinker! Get out of here and don't come back! Leave me alone!"

"I have more chocolate!" Hazō called out.

Silence.

"...more chocolate?" Kagome asked.

"Yep," Hazō said. "Inoue-sensei bought more before we left Yuni. I'd like to buy more lessons from you, if you're willing. We'll pay in chocolate."

Long silence.

"How much chocolate?"

Hazō smiled and sat down to bargain.

XP AWARD: 10 for not blowing yourself up, you stinking ninja stinker!

Vote time! You'll be busy training with Kagome for the rest of the week. What do you do afterwards?

Voting ends on Wednesday, March 2, 2016, at 12pm UTC. Next update is by @Velorien.

Last edited:
Chapter 23: Friends

Slitherbeast: TacMov said:
Hazō: TacMov said:

Lungs full of spears. Can't see. Thing still there. Snapping at heels. Can't keep going. Swimming for too long. Need to breathe. Need to breathe.

Slow, they said. Easy to outrun, they said. Aquatic, they didn't say. Going to die.

Stupid Wakahisa. Went first, nicked leg. Blood in the water. Now this. Need to breathe.

Leg about to cramp. Need to breathe. Going to die.

Body slowing. Can't feel arms. Need to breathe…

Light!

Hazō burst out of the water at the end of the underwater tunnel, gasping desperately for air. The slitherbeast followed…

Mori: Weapons said:
Slitherbeast: Taijutsu said:

Mori stabbed the thing's flat, sinuous head again and again as it came out of the water, driving the kunai deeper each time. In agony but somehow still not dead, the screeching slitherbeast turned and lashed out at her, Hazō forgotten. The serpentlike monstrosity twisted its head sideways, driving Mori against the wall as its jaws opened around her waist, rows of teeth shining in the sunlight.

With a scream, Mori threw the kunai she was holding into the slitherbeast's mouth. There was a gurgle, but the berserk monster kept coming. Its jaws began to close…

Wakahisa: Taijutsu said:
Slitherbeast: Taijutsu said:

Wakahisa's heel came down across the creature's spine, slamming it down into the rock beneath. At the same moment, its jaws snapped shut, scoring sharp lines across Mori's body. But the impact of Wakahisa's kick had driven it down and back, pulling it just short of biting Mori in half.

Before the slitherbeast could move, the three genin descended on it in a swarm of piercing metal. They did not stop until long after its original shape became unrecognisable.

No matter what, Hazō decided as he applied first aid to Mori's cuts, the rest of the team could never learn the truth: that this entire thing was his fault.

"Inoue-sensei," he'd innocently asked, "do you think we could have some special team-building training tomorrow?"
-o-​

It was the morning after his request that Inoue-sensei gathered them together.

"Good news, kids," she said, grinning from ear to ear in a manner that sent chills down their collective spines, "I have some extra-special training for you today."

She walked over to Mori and whispered something in her ear, something that made the girl stare at her, aghast. She repeated the process with Wakahisa, causing him to go flaming red. Finally, she approached Hazō.

She said only eight words, but those eight words awoke a feeling of unbearable shame in Hazō, followed by humiliation and then horror. He watched Inoue-sensei, knowing that something terrible was coming.

"In case you're wondering," Inoue-sensei said, "back when Shikigami invited me to be part of his project, I made the effort to dig up some dirt on every member of the team in case they stepped out of line. And while you kids are too young to have any real skeletons in your closets, you're also young enough to be really easy to embarrass.

"So here's the deal. This," she held up a map, "shows the shortest route from here, through the Vermin Hills, under the Blue Cliffs, across Rendclaw Forest and to the Crimson Waterfall. You have until sunset to climb to the top of the Crimson Waterfall and exterminate the nest of reaper mantises there. You'll have just enough time if you're quick. Oh, and if you fail, the entire group gets to hear what I just told you."

Hazō's horror increased by several levels.

"Wh-What do we get if we pass?" Wakahisa asked in an unusually high-pitched voice.

"A sense of pride and satisfaction in your own abilities," Inoue-sensei beamed.

"Oh," she added as an afterthought as she walked away, "this is meant to be a challenge. Don't even think about using chakra, or I'll know."

The group was silent for nearly a full minute.

Finally, Wakahisa, still red, turned to Mori. "At least tell me you can figure out some shortcuts."

"Um, sorry," Mori replied, squirming a little. "She asked me to assist her with the map. She told me she wanted the most efficient route for a group such as ours to traverse those areas by sunset assuming we did not stop to rest."

Hazō and Wakahisa stared at her mutely.

"She said it was for an emergency escape route! How could I have known?!"
-o-​

The sun was getting low in the horizon, and they were still in Rendclaw Forest, having got themselves turned around several times while fighting off various interestingly-coloured (and thus probably extremely venomous) snakes. The trees were thick, the sounds of the wildlife alternately intimidating and eerily quiet, and occasionally there were clumps of bones which definitely belonged to local animals.

"You know," Hazō began, "I'm starting to think that when Inoue-sensei designed this training, she—"

"Shh!" Mori hissed.

She was right. Now Hazō listened, there was definitely something moving behind them.

A second later, a roughly human-sized, grey-furred creature resembling a hunched-over rat stalked into view. It made no sound, and did not move to attack or flee, instead merely staring at them with hollow black eyes.

"Why is it just standing there?" Wakahisa whispered to Hazō.

"I don't know. Be careful—we don't know what it's capable of."

The creature raised its paws. Without a sound, black three-foot claws emerged from them.

"OK, I guess we do."

"What's the plan?" Hazō asked.

"Uh… OK," Wakahisa said. "I'm going to lock down its movement with ninjutsu. Mori, soften it up from range, then Kurosawa can finish it off while it's reeling."

There was a rustling sound, and then a second creature emerged from behind them. It, too, produced its claws, and then did nothing but stare. Its gaze seemed cold, almost lifeless.

"Change of plan. I'm going to keep this one busy. You two take the other one out and back me up as fast as you can."

Three more creatures emerged, positioned unambiguously to surround the group.

"Change of plan," Wakahisa began.

"Run!" Hazō yelled.

Hazō: TacMov said:
Rendclaw pack: TacMov said:

Hazō ran at a gap in the circle of monsters, but without chakra-enhanced speed he couldn't quite make it in time before their ranks closed with an eerie smoothness. The others weren't doing any better, leaving the group in a gradually tightening circle. More creatures were arriving by the second.

Hazō thought fast. He hadn't brought any exploding tags—he'd used up his individual supply while training with Kagome-sensei. But what he did have was a few practice blanks that Kagome-sensei had said looked like "they might not blow your head off unless you screw up". Of course, he'd also been very clear that Hazō was not to try infusing them until he'd had more training, at least not within ten miles of Kagome-sensei.

But desperate times…

Hazō slowly pulled out a blank, not noticing that the creatures immediately stopped moving, and concentrated as hard as he could as he slowly ran his finger across the surface of the seal.

Hazō: Sealing said:

In Hazō's mind, the blank was a labyrinthine landscape of impossible geometry, the flat drawing of the seal a compression of several intertwined dimensions that only loosely corresponded to conventional space and time. A single line out of place could signify time being told to run backwards, or matter twisting in on itself as a circle without beginning or end, or a channel pointing not up or down or left or right or towards or away but out, and if you were unlucky enough, something on the other end of that out might notice and decide to come in.

But when the blank was right, and Hazō's exploding tag blanks had recently become always right, it felt like he was the creator of his own miniaturised world. His chakra filled in the paths prepared for it, breathing divergent laws of physics and spatial relationships into what had once been a simple piece of paper. An exploding tag wasn't a firebomb—it was a command to the universe in the universe's own language, and the universe should consider itself lucky that Hazō wanted nothing more of it than a managed spherical energy release.

The moment of euphoria faded. Hazō gazed at his new exploding tag for the merest instant, then stuck it to a kunai and threw.
-o-​

"This is bullshit," Wakahisa stated flatly when they finally stopped to catch their breath at the edge of the forest.

Hazō was thinking the same thing. "We're going to get killed if we keep going without using chakra. I'm not even sure if using that exploding tag disqualified us—exploding tags are chakra-based, but on the other hand they do count as standard ninja tools."

"That was a skilled throw," Mori said. "But did you not say earlier that you depleted your tag supply when Kagome-sensei instructed you to obliterate that weasel 'because it was looking at him funny?'"

"He thought he recognised the expression of a Hidden Rock infiltrator." Hazō pounced on the opportunity to change the subject from the fact that he had risked killing them all (or worse) with an on-the-spot act of sealcrafting he hadn't been strictly allowed to do.

"Anyway, I agree with Wakahisa," he went on. "We've got to stop this. Inoue-sensei's gone too far this time."

Mori gave a reluctant nod.

Of course, forfeiting would mean Inoue-sensei humiliating everyone with their embarrassing secrets. But then… you know what? After being nearly eviscerated by erynies, snapped up by slitherbeasts, paralysed by pain vipers and, well, rended by rendclaws, Hazō was not prepared to let her win.

"I wet the bed until I was nine years old."

"What?" Mori asked confusedly.

"That's my secret," Hazō said, with very little trembling in his voice. "That's what Inoue-sensei was going to tell you all. My mum said the Iron Nerve had complicated effects on a developing body… and I was having a hard time with things, OK?"

Wakahisa laughed.

Hazō felt a strong impulse to curl into a ball.

"No, no, Kurosawa, chill," Wakahisa said, still laughing. "It's just… part of Wakahisa Clan training is having to sleep with your chakra barrel next to you above your bed. And if your chakra control lapses while you're asleep… well, you get the idea. So wetting the bed? Really not a big deal from where I'm standing."

Hazō stopped wanting to curl into a ball.

But he was the only one feeling better. Mori chewed her lip and crossed her arms, while Wakahisa looked at the ground with his hands closed into fists.

Finally, Wakahisa grimaced, turned to face Keiko, and opened his mouth. "Mori, I…"

"I kissed a girl once!" Keiko shouted.

The two boys looked at her with expressions of wonder on their faces.

"It was for a dare!" she desperately insisted. "It did not mean anything! Stop looking at me like that!"

Seeing her so uncharacteristically flustered, Hazō did his best to laugh it off. "Hey, you're still doing better than me on that front."

She snerked, and seemed to relax a bit.

Then it was Wakahisa's turn. He took a deep breath.

"Mori, I… I… the thing is… you're… I… I have a crush on…" He wilted. "No, I'm sorry, I can't do it."

But Mori took a step towards him, and gave him a warm smile. "It is fine, Wakahisa. I feel the same way."

Wakahisa froze. "You… do?"

Mori nodded. "I do."

She looked somewhere into the distance. "Is she not amazing?" she sighed.

Hazō was awed by Wakahisa's willpower as the latter visibly restrained himself from going over and hitting his head repeatedly against the nearest tree.
-o-​

Hazō, Wakahisa and Mori sat around the campfire as the sun set (figuring that if Inoue-sensei wanted them, she could damn well find them herself). There was a curious feeling of warmth enveloping them that had little to do with the dancing flames.

"You know," Hazō said, "we've been through a lot together. Remember what terrified little newbies we were back at the Swamp of Death? Now look at us."

Wakahisa gave him a sceptical look. "Are you saying you're not terrified anymore?"

Hazō shrugged. "More like… I know you guys have my back. All those bizarre chakra monsters we've fought? None of us could have faced them alone. I think today just drove that home. And that goes for all the infiltrations as well. I like how I have you to brainstorm plans with, and point out errors, and how you guys can do things I can't, and the other way round, without me having to feel bad about it. I never really had that with my old team. I was a loner, and that suited both me and them fine."

Wakahisa lounged back and looked up at the stars. "You know what I like? The two of you have never once treated me as a walking chakra battery, and Inoue-sensei hasn't either. That's what I was expecting when I went on that mission. You don't get to shine as a Wakahisa. No matter who you are or what you can do, everyone just wants you to power them up and then stay in the background while they steal the spotlight. And… you don't do that. So thanks, I guess."​

After a while, Mori spoke up. "I… I do not object to being in the background so much. It is satisfying to feel that there is something only I can accomplish, even if it does not appear impressive. I am not saying I want to be here, not knowing what will happen next, and fearing for my life every day, but I am glad I can be of help to someone, and I am glad not to be alone."

"What do you want, Mori?" Hazō asked. "We've been so focused on running away, we've never discussed our plans for the future."

Mori looked surprised. "Want? I want all of this to be over. I want my life to make sense again. But that is not going to happen, is it? You cannot come back from being a missing-nin."

"Maybe not," Hazō replied. "But I think you can move forwards. We've all grown a lot compared to how we started out. Maybe not yet, but sometime soon we can start thinking about where we want to be, and what we want to do. I don't know about you guys, but I only ever had one thing tying me to Mist, and that was my mum. Now she's on her own, and…" Hazō took a second to repress a wave of… sadness? Guilt? Worry? It was a mixture of feelings he couldn't and wasn't sure he wanted to untangle. "And I want to get her out of there, or at least make sure she's safe. Then I can move on with no regrets."

"No regrets, huh?" Wakahisa echoed. "I like the sound of that. Let's face it, we've got a really badass jōnin leader, a girl with a brain the size of a planet, and a rising star of ninjutsu. Oh, and Kurosawa, you can be pretty good in a fight too. Sometimes. I don't like the idea of getting killed any more than the next man—and the next man is Kagome—but I feel like it would be a waste not to do something really big with all that talent sooner or later."

Keiko gave him a weird look.​

"How can you sit here, on the edge of a forest filled with lethal monsters, in the middle of nowhere with Mist hunter-nin out there in hot pursuit, and say anything of the sort?"

Wakahisa's reply looked like it floored her.

"Because, Mori, once Kurosawa and I have a plan, I trust you to figure out how to make it work."

Mori's mouth opened and closed soundlessly as she tried to come up with a reply to that.

Taking pity on her, Hazō tried to think of something to say. Now he thought of it, perhaps it was time to voice a thought he'd been wondering about quite a lot in recent days.

"Guys," he began nervously, "we've saved each other's lives several times each now, and we're probably going to be stuck together for the foreseeable future. And I could be wrong, but I feel like... we're becoming friends.

"Do you think that," he swallowed, "maybe it's time we moved to first names?"

An awkward silence filled the clearing. The fire seemed to burn more quietly.

"I… I mean, if you don't think that's…"

"You've really got to chill out… Hazō," Wakahisa said, stretching out the syllables experimentally. "You always have to take everything so seriously. Right, Kei… K… Ke…"

"Don't push yourself," Hazō advised as his anxiety faded. "It's not like we don't have time to get used to the idea. If you're both OK with it, I mean."

Keiko didn't say anything, but gave a faint nod.

"Hey, kids," Inoue-sensei waved from right behind Noburi, making him jump. "Guess you've passed my secret test."
-o-​

"Have I mentioned how that's getting really old, Inoue-sensei?" Hazō grumbled.

Inoue: Taijutsu said:
Hazō deployed the special move he'd been training in secret, darting his head out of the way in a quarter-circle as Inoue-sensei's hand came down in a somewhat leisurely fashion. However, she lunged forward at the very last second, her hand twisting to violently ruffle his hair.

"One day," Hazō muttered to himself.

Inoue-sensei laughed. "You can call me Mari, by the way. Wouldn't want to be left out of the team bonding experience."

Hazō gave his best vengeful smile. "Of course, Inoue-sensei."

Inoue-sensei gave him a look in return. "Anyway... You kids have successfully accomplished the second strongest defence against blackmail: let the secret out before somebody else can."

"Strictly speaking," she added, "it's a two-stage process. Let the secret out, then assassinate the blackmailer later."

"What about the strongest defence, M-Ma… Inoue-sensei?" Keiko asked.

Inoue-sensei sighed. "The first and most effective defence is simply to assassinate the blackmailer without faffing about with other countermeasures. But sometimes that's impractical, at least in the short term. And the third, for your reference, is to find out some of the blackmailer's secrets as counter-blackmail, and then assassinate them later. Any questions?"

She looked hopefully at Noburi, but Noburi had already exchanged glances with Hazō.

"Actually, yes, Inoue-sensei."

Inoue-sensei's shoulders slumped. "Go on."

"What's your most embarrassing secret? Sharing that was a key part of our 'team bonding experience'."

Inoue-sensei looked at him flatly for several seconds. "Well played."

She sat down by the fire, prompting Noburi and Keiko to shift to make room.

For a few seconds, she was lost in thought, or perhaps she really was coming up with something she found hard to admit in public.

"Actually… I was too scared to sleep with a man until I was eighteen."

Three sets of eyebrows rose to maximum elevation.

"B-But," Noburi stammered, "you… seduction missions… how is that even…?"

Inoue-sensei closed her eyes for a second. "All sorts of ways, many of which I don't think you're ready to know about. Let's just say that there is room for a variety of support roles on a seduction mission, and I just let somebody else… take point… every time."

After Keiko's revelation earlier, it occurred to Hazō that "sleep with a man" was suspiciously specific, but he decided it would be best not to seek clarification. Instead, he felt that Inoue-sensei's admission had earned her a certain amount of team bonding, though he intended to keep using her surname for a while longer. Perhaps until she stopped ruffling his hair…

"So Inoue-sensei, we were talking about our plans for the future. What do you want to do?"

"Future, huh?" Inoue-sensei asked. "No idea. Never did. I mean, I figured I'd settle down eventually—very eventually—if I met the right person, but I never met anyone in Mist who could keep up with me and wasn't taken, and I imagine that would go double for civilians. And really, what was there to do other than to keep taking missions, and get whatever fun I could out of life?

"When Shikigami brought me on board, his project seemed like a chance to do something big, something meaningful. But look what happened to that. Thanks to him, right now survival is top of the agenda. Anything more would be a luxury.

"Then again," she added after a second, "I always did like my luxuries. Keep your eyes open, kids. Maybe we'll find something bigger and better somewhere along the line. It's a policy that's served me well so far." She winked.

"I think I can help with that," the ninja in faded green clothes told her. Then he jumped down from the rock outcropping he'd been sitting on, and raised a kunai to throw.
-o-​

Inoue-sensei's hands were a blur of seals.

"Silent Night Technique!"

The kunai dropped out of the ninja's hands as his entire body relaxed—except for his eyes, which remained locked on Inoue-sensei's.

They'd drilled for this sort of thing. Hazō got out a length of ninja wire and approached the enemy carefully, while Keiko prepared to throw kunai at the first sign that he might be breaking free of the genjutsu. Noburi came in from the other side to Hazō, water clones flanking him and ready for action.

Ninja: Taijutsu said:

As Hazō reached out, the ninja suddenly sprang into action. He grabbed Hazō's arm, twisted—and threw him bodily at Inoue-sensei.

Inoue: Taijutsu said:

Inoue-sensei dodged sideways in a brief flicker of movement, but couldn't help being clipped by a flailing Hazō. It took her an extra moment to reach the enemy ninja, by which time Noburi had already engaged.

Team Noburi: Taijutsu said:
Ninja: Taijutsu said:

Noburi executed a near-perfect flanking manoeuvre, himself and two of his clones forming a semicircle around the ninja's left while the third clone slipped around to cut off the enemy's retreat.

Unfortunately, Noburi had committed an error: the enemy ninja wasn't there. A clone puffed into non-existence, leaving Noburi and his water clones as nothing more than a wide obstacle between Inoue-sensei and her target, as well as blocking Keiko's line of fire.

Then the enemy attacked.

A powerful two-handed palm thrust punched through two clones in a row, causing them to explode outwards in a big burst of water—just as Inoue-sensei reached them. The sudden splash of water into her face caused her to do arguably the worst thing one could do in a high-level ninja battle. She blinked.

The next thing she knew, she was on the ground with one of the ninja's hands around her throat. He raised a kunai…

And then he was a metre away as Keiko's shuriken passed through the space where he had just been.

Putting his hands down by his sides, the ninja gave a big smile. "I think I like you four."
-o-​

Inoue-sensei moved from prone to upright without visibly passing through any intermediate stages. "You could have killed me then. If you weren't going to, why attack?"

The ninja gave another smile. "I just wanted to establish the power dynamics before this conversation went any further. It only takes a few seconds, but it can save both sides a lot of time and effort.

"By the way, that technique of yours. Am I right in thinking it's an adaptation of Mist's White Night genjutsu? Very nice work, combining the original's brute force with… I guess I'd call it a certain playful elegance. Much like its wielder."

Inoue-sensei did not lower her guard. "If you're here to seduce me," she told him coolly, "you should've brought chocolate."

Without missing a beat, the ninja reached into a sleeve and pulled out a small box, which he tossed her in a slow, non-threatening underarm throw.

Inoue-sensei opened it carefully, then gave a surprised laugh.

"All right, smooth operator. Why don't you introduce yourself, and we'll see how things go from there."

"You can call me… Yūjin," the ninja told her, sweeping into a quick but dramatic bow. "Bad manners to give an alias, I know, but things would get messy if my name started floating around Iron just now."

"Well… Yūjin," Inoue-sensei shifted out of combat stance, "I take it you already know who I am?"

"Inoue Mari, known as 'Heartbreaker', though I hope never to find out why. And these three must be Mori Keiko, Wakahisa Noburi and Kurosawa Hazō. A pleasure to meet you all.

"You see," he went on, noticing Hazō's eyes narrow in suspicion, "this is exactly why it's good to know each other's power levels in advance. You don't have to decide whether you should be trying to kill me, because you know you can't, and you don't have to fear that I'm trying to kill you, because you know I've chosen not to. So now we can skip all that and move on to civilised discussion.

"I know you must have many questions. Who is that outrageously handsome man? How did he find us? What does he want? Is he single? But for now we must constrain ourselves to practicalities. I'm here to offer you a job."

Inoue-sensei raised her eyebrows. "I'm sorry, but working under strangers isn't my style. Maybe we should take some time to get to know each other first?"

"You wouldn't rather have an exciting blind date with an international man of mystery? No? Very well, I shall skip to the end and fill you in."

His expression turned serious. "Something is happening in the north of Iron that risks catastrophically destabilising the region—at a time when any wrong move could spark a Fourth Great Ninja War. My network is weak in Iron, and I need reliable operatives here, which is why I've chosen to contact you four. I need you to infiltrate an organisation called the New Samurai Army, based north of Shinamachi, and find out everything you can about it—its resource base, numbers, the identities of its leadership, everything. And I need you to start now. We may have only months before it's too late to act."

"And in return?" Inoue-sensei asked.

Yūjin gave a roguish grin. "In return, whatever you want. Flowers? More chocolate? A date with the most eligible bachelor on the continent, which is to say me?

"But I won't press you for an answer now. From what I hear, you four don't know yourselves what you want yet, and far be it from me to demand commitment at such an early stage. This mission should give you time to figure out your own answers, and at the end I'll be here with my huge network, ready to make all your dreams come true. Why, we might even end up with a long-term working relationship."

"I see," Inoue-sensei said. "But I'm afraid I'm going to have to talk to my kids before inviting a man like you into my life."

She looked around.

"What do you three think?"
-o-​

[] Accept Yūjin's offer and head north immediately
[] Accept Yūjin's offer and head north after making preparations
[] Reject Yūjin's offer and leave
[] Reject Yūjin's offer and kill him

Write-ins accepted as always.

You have received 25 XP for not being devoured and strengthening the bonds within your team.

Voting closes on Saturday the 5th, 9 am Pacific Standard Time

Last edited:
Chapter 24: Meeting the Liberator

"That's a lot of codewords," Yūjin said in amusement.

"There are a lot of possible scenarios to prepare for," Keiko said.

Yūjin shrugged. "Okay, uh...let's go with...oh, I dunno...'dango', any mention of Princess Genchi, 'boudoir', 'lingerie', 'panty shot', and 'bubble bath', respectively."

Inoue-sensei raised an eloquent eyebrow. "'Panty shot'?" she said archly.

Yūjin shrugged. "What can I say? I was under pressure. Still, it's already been set so it's too late to change it now. Anyway, I've got to run. You kids have fun now, okay?" He slammed a smoke bomb into the ground and was gone.

Hazō turned to Inoue-sensei. "I know the dispelling didn't work, but I don't suppose that was one of your training sessions using that super-genjutsu of yours?" he asked hopefully.

Inoue-sensei shook her head, looking unusually serious. "I swear, it wasn't. This is the real deal as far as I can tell."

"How did you not see him?" Noburi demanded. "You're a jōnin, how did he sneak up on us?"

Inoue-sensei's shook her head again. "I don't know," she said. "Shikigami and I used to do E&E practice together; it was a tossup who would win, but I usually at least had a sense that he was around. Maybe I'm having an off day or maybe this Yūjin really is that good."

Noburi sighed. "Fine," he said. "Okay, we need to infiltrate a village full of samurai with an unknown number of ninja. So, how are we doing this?"

o-o-o-o​

"Halt!" the guard said, drawing his sword and holding it in a guard stance that owed a lot more to popular entertainment than to actual swordsmanship.

Inoue-sensei slung the chūnin's battered and unconscious body off her shoulder and heaved it forward so it landed at the guard's feet with a wince-inducing thump.

"Kid, this has already been a long day," she growled. Her scowl was clear even through the veil she wore across the lower half of her face. "I missed breakfast, I really need a bath, and I'm not in the mood for bullshit. Take this guy to your medbay and let me go talk to your leader."

"Who are you?" the guard demanded.

"Oh, for kami's sake," Inoue-sensei muttered. "I'm the one who just beat the crap out of your chūnin, you idiot. These are my students." She waved casually over her shoulder at where the genin stood, trying to simultaneously look casual and also keep a watchful eye out for threats.

Inoue-sensei turned and cupped her hands to her mouth. "Hey!" she yelled. "Guards! Olly olly oxen free! I need some guards here! Preferably some with a brain!"

"Hey!" the guard shouted, gesturing threateningly with his sword. "This isn't a joke! Get on the ground or I'll kill you!" He waved the sword again. "I warn you, the Liberator has trained me in the arts of the samurai!"

"Kaoru," Inoue-sensei said, not looking at the guard.

rolz.org said:

Hazō blurred forward, snatched the sword out of the guard's hands, and smashed him to the ground with an overhead elbow strike. The man went down like a bag of bricks, screaming in pain as his collarbone shattered.

Inoue-sensei glanced over. "Excessive, maybe?" she said. "I mean, sure, positive impressions can take many forms, but there's such a thing as too positive."

Hazō shrugged. "You heard him: he was trained in the deadly arts of the samurai. I couldn't afford to take chances."

Noburi facepalmed.

Inoue-sensei shrugged back. "Yeah, fair enough. Anyway-- Ah, good, here you are! Good morning, gentlemen."

A dozen guards arrived at full civilian sprint, swords drawn. "What's going on here?" the leader demanded.

Inoue-sensei rolled her eyes. "Obviously, we're a bunch of ninja who just beat the crap out of your friends—first that patrol chūnin and then this idiot with the sword. Now, since I have yet to beat the crap out of you, it should be obvious that I'm here for a job. So, take me to your boss before I lose the last few shreds of patience that I am so generously holding onto."

The guard looked at her for a moment, then sheathed his sword and waved the others to do the same. "My name is Tanaka," he said with a bow. "Please, follow me."

Tanaka and two of his underlings escorted them to a small building in the center of town. Along the way the team were treated to the sight of dozens of new houses going up. The most interesting thing was the attitude of the peasants doing the work: excited, hopeful. Smiles were common and everyone moved with an energy that was very unusual for civilians.

The house wasn't ostentatious—one story, door opening directly into a sitting room the size of which suggested there were only two or three other rooms.

"Would you please wait here?" Tanaka asked with a bow. "Refreshments will be brought momentarily."

"Hn," Inoue-sensei said, dropping bonelessly into one of a dozen surprisingly comfortable chairs that circled a low table. "Make sure there's some teriyaki," she said. "I love teriyaki." She folded her hands over her stomach and let her eyes fall closed.

Tanaka bowed again and waved for one of his men to go fetch their food. Tanaka ducked through the inner door.

With the second guard standing uncomfortably in the corner the team couldn't talk without being overheard, so they sat in silence until a tall, broad-shouldered man walked in with Tanaka trailing a step behind.

"Good morning," the tall man said. His voice was a rich baritone with the tones of a trained orator; he stood straight and proud despite showing none of the signs of ninja training. "I am Fukui Taiki, the head of this village. How may I help you?"

"You can get our first month's pay," Inoue said, not opening her eyes. "A hundred thousand for me, fifty for each of the kids. Then show us where we're going to be staying and get us a hot bath."

Fukui laughed. "I must apologize; I seem to have forgotten the occasion of your hiring. It might have something to do with the veils."

Inoue-sensei opened one eye and gave him an oh really? look before letting it close again and settling a little more comfortably into the chair with a distracting wriggle. "Don't be stupid," she said. "You've got...what, six ninja? Eight?"

Fukui smiled. "A bit more than that," he said. "Our cause is righteous, and we have attracted people from all walks of life. Even ninja."

"Yeah, whatever," Inoue-sensei said. "Look, your people are probably chūnin at best. I'm a jōnin, you can't afford to not hire me. On top of that, my kids can beat your ninja into the ground. We're cheap at twice the price but I'm in a good mood so I'm giving you the friends and family discount."

"I see," Fukui said. "That's very kind of you."

"What can I say? I'm a kind person," Inoue-sensei said. "Speaking of which, wasn't there going to be some teriyaki?"

"I'm sure it will be along momentarily," Fukui said. "As to hiring you, I'm afraid I can't afford your prices. I could offer sixty thousand for you and ten each for your...genin, I'm assuming?"

Inoue-sensei's eye drifted open and locked on his face. She didn't appear to move, but suddenly Hazō was uncomfortably aware of what a beautiful woman his teacher was. Fukui shifted slightly and swallowed, clearly feeling the impact himself.

"Ninety and forty," Inoue-sensei said.

"I really couldn't go any higher than one hundred thousand for the four of you," Fukui said. "I will leave it to you how you divide it."

"One twenty," she said.

"One ten," Fukui replied. "And you will be paid at the end of the month like any other employee." He studied her seriously for a moment. "I'm afraid that's really my final answer. There's only so much tea in the cup."

"Include room and board and you've got a deal," Inoue-sensei said. "I'll warn you, Kaoru eats like a pig."

Fukui laughed and bowed. "Done," he said. "Tanaka, would you please escort our honored employees to their new house? I believe the crews are finished with number eighteen."

Tanaka bowed to his leader and then to the team. "Would you please follow me?"

o-o-o-o​

"I have to admit, I didn't think that would work," Hazō said. He sat back with a sigh, enjoying the pleasant heat of the tub.

"Of course it worked," Inoue-sensei said from where she and Keiko lounged in the tub on the other side of the divider. "I'm the brash and abrasive one that everyone hates and yet wants to sleep with. Keeps the attention on me, lets you three be much more in the shade. Just remember to keep your veils on under your transformations."

"Yes, sensei," the three genin chorused.

o-o-o-o​

"Excuse me," Kei said diffidently to the doctor. "My name is Kobayashi Aimi. I believe you have two patients who came in yesterday—a ninja and a guardsman? I was hoping I might speak with them."

"You family?" the doctor asked.

"No, sensei," Keiko said. "I simply wanted to apologize to them. My sensei is the one who put them here."

The doctor's eyebrows went up. "That's a first," he said. "A ninja apologizing for hurting someone?"

Kei shifted uncomfortably and looked away. "Sensei is a great woman but she can be...impulsive," she said. "She is not always as patient as she could be. May I enter?"

The doctor studied her for a moment. "Sure," he said. "It's not like I could stop you anyway. Matsumoto is out already—he just needed a sling and some plaster—but Kawaguchi is in fourteen." He waved down the hall.

Kei bowed and walked to number fourteen. She knocked softly on the door and called, "Hello? May I come in, please?"

"Yeah," said a voice from inside. Keiko slipped inside to find the ninja sitting up in bed, a bandage on his head and a cast on a leg and an arm.

"Who're you?" he asked.

Kei bowed. "I am Kobayashi Aimi," she said. "My teacher is Takenaka Noe. She is...the one who attacked you yesterday. I am here to apologize for her actions. They were uncalled for and excessive."

The ninja stared at her in amazement. "Did she send you?" he asked.

Kei shook her head. "No," she said. She shifted uncomfortably, one hand gripping the opposite arm. "She is unaware that I am here. I would appreciate it if you did not enlighten her. She would be angry, but I felt it was necessary. She is a good woman, ultimately. Merely...impulsive."

The ninja snorted. "Yeah, well, your 'impulsive' teacher broke my leg in two places, shattered my humerus, and gave me a concussion. I'm still seeing double."

Kei hung her head. "I am very sorry," she said quietly.

The ninja sighed. "Yeah, me too. S'what I get for tangling with a jōnin. She is a jōnin, right? I've never seen anyone move like that."

"Yes," Kei said. "She is very skilled." The last was said proudly.

The chūnin nodded, then winced and touched his head. "Yeah, that's for sure. Anyway, thanks for the apology, kid. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to lie here, try not to puke, and see if I can get some sleep."

Kei bowed and slipped out.

o-o-o-o​

"Hey there," Noburi called. "You guys mind if I join you?"

The trio of teenagers looked up as he walked over. "Sure," a red-headed girl said. "You're new, huh? Where are you from?"

"Hoshino, be polite!" scolded the other girl. She was perhaps a year older than her friend, fifteen instead of fourteen, with streaky blonde hair that she wore loose. "Hello," she said, smiling at Noburi. "I'm Fujioka Rina. It's nice to meet you." She eyed Noburi's blond-blue-buff and just-her-age form with an appreciative smile, twirling her hair around one finger artlessly. The boy sitting next to her glowered.

Noburi gave them a friendly smile and a small bow. "It's a pleasure," he said. "I'm Mukai Tsubasa; I'm a genin studying under Takenaka Noe. We just got hired yesterday. Mr. Fukui told us to take a day to settle in and meet people." He winked at Hoshino. "Best assignment ever."

Hoshino's eyes went wide. "A genin, really?" she said, leaning forward in excitement. "Ooh, that's so cool! I never met a ninja before my family came here."

"I did," the boy said. "A team of them stayed at my dad's inn. Didn't pay, took a case of the best sake with them when they left."

Noburi winced. "I'm sorry for that," he said sympathetically. "They shouldn't have done that. Ninja are supposed to protect people, not abuse them. That's what sensei has always taught us, anyway."

"Uh-huh," the boy said.

Noburi gave him an apologetic smile and then turned back to the girls. "So," he said with a smile. "I don't suppose you ladies would like to show the new guy around? Maybe tell me a little about yourselves?"

The girls were on their feet so fast it would have made a credible Body Flicker.

XP AWARD: 5

• Sneak out, go back for a lesson with Kagome-sensei. It's only a few hours away!
  • See what sort of missions the Liberator wants to send you on
  • Make friends among the guards
  • Chat up some of the other kids
  • Challenge one of the ninja to a spar to assess their skill level
  • Break into the Liberator's office and rifle through his papers
  • Write in

Voting ends on Wednesday, March 9, 2016, at 12pm UTC.

Back