Luster

Rust 7.a18 (Alexia)
Eight years, nearly nine. That's how long ago it was when Elena and I arrived in New York in the dead of night, a pair of headlights all we had to guide us down pitch-black back roads. Eight years, nearly nine. That's how long we had been building a life here, a home, a family.

It took me eight, maybe nine minutes to tear it all down.

Elena was out with Klaus—I didn't even recall why. It didn't matter. All that mattered was the opportunity. I trashed our apartment. Drawers open, rummaged through, but nothing taken. Paper strewn everywhere. Ripped cards out of the rolodex. Pictures removed from the walls. Anything and everything I imagined the PRT might suspect and check, had they actually raided our place. None of the things that would be expected, had I decided to leave.

I took William and fled. I left it all. Clothes, formula, diapers, bottles, my heart. I couldn't stand the thought of either of them knowing I chose to leave.

"Aaa maa?" William squirmed on my shoulder, babbling uneasily as I hurried down the street, afraid to even hail a taxi this close to… home. A clock in the window of a passing bodega read quarter to nine—way past his bedtime. Of course he would be fussy at being jostled so much.

I was in the neighborhood over before I felt safe enough to flag down a taxi. The ride was uneventful, and William blessedly fell asleep, nestled into my neck, but my heart would not stop thundering in my chest. Reaching our destination only made the sensation worse and deprived me of almost all my petty cash, but I was nearly done.

The PRT headquarters. I needed to go in, to explain I knew where the Butcher lived, and… and my feet refused to carry me forward across the plaza to its doors. Everything I had done until that moment could still be undone, but this? This was the point of no return. The point where I betrayed the trust of the woman I loved and the man I once trusted. The mother of my child… and the father of the child I gave up.

"A name and a date." I hugged William closer to my chest, gentle enough to not wake him. My foot felt like lead, like the worst treachery, but I stepped forward. "I will not allow you to become a name and a date."

"Ma'am?"

I jerked violently, my head snapping around and my heartbeat redoubleing its tattoo as I squeezed William to my chest. Miracle of miracles, he didn't wake up.The woman who'd spoken held up her hands apologetically, the gesture causing the curly black hair hanging over her shoulders to shift like an oily scarf in the artificial light illuminating the plaza. I belatedly noticed the ID card hanging from the woman's neck—PRT.

"Sorry. I was just about to head in, and you looked like you might need some help?"

"Yes, I…" I swallowed, forcing down the bile in my throat. "Yes. Please."

She laid a gentle hand on my back. "Let's get you taken care of."

A/N: Want to read chapters early? Interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord! (this link will be active for a week)
Psst! Want a bonus incentive? ALL of Alexia's arc is up on the Discord!

Last edited:
Rust 7.b13 (Deimos)
Fear. The great unifier, the beginning and end. Torn from the womb, afraid, dragged from the cave into the light of this strange, new world. Then sickly or loudly, quietly for the lucky few, but all overwhelmed by our dread of the darkness creeping over us once again.

My first memory is of the darkness. Of the muck lining the cold concrete of the depths. Of the heady aroma that gripped me. Of the hole it promised to fill. I crawled out of that darkness into a pale imitation, a night pervaded by as much light and color as prey.

I was no god when I first ventured beyond the cave.

On my third moon, I learned the name of that world, New York. Around a quarter-cycle of the moon, I learned the name of its protectors, the PRT. After a half-cycle, I learned the names of its genos—the Adepts, the Blinds, Lost Garden, the Gladiators, and so many more. By the time the cycle completed, they knew mine.

Deimos.

Their dread drew me, and from their lives I drew strength. For every soul I ate, I let four more flee. My unwitting harbingers. Vermin allowed to live that they might multiply tenfold. More for the slaughter. I kept no tally after the first hundred.

But my claims of godhood were hollow. What domain ruled its god?

Providence. I learned of her by chance, overheard by happenstance as I stalked Blinds. A defunct genos, the Teeth, had fallen apart when their leader was murdered. Why? Inheritance. Powers handed down ten times over claimed, but territory and manpower rejected. Diamondback. Thief. Coward. Butcher.

Invulnerable.

Three cycles, then four more passed. I taught Diamondback my name, and I became a god.

Want to read chapters early? Interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord!

Rust 7.a19 (Alexia)
"You have to be careful," they had told me. "Witness protection works, but only when you do what we tell you to."

"I will," I told them.

"Never make contact with the Butcher, Heavensword, or anyone else affiliated with the Teeth."

I didn't. I couldn't, no matter how much I wanted to. To protect my son, I would never, ever speak with Elena or Klaus again.

"Your name is Riko Fujiwara. Your son's name is Jacob Fujiwara."

I thought giving up 'Alexia' would be simple. I gave up 'Junko' without so much as a second glance. So why did being 'Riko' make my heart heavier by the day? Why did calling my boy 'Jacob' feel like the worst sin?

"We'll set you up in Brooklyn with an apartment, and we'll help you find a reasonable job. Beyond that, you'll receive a stipend as 'alimony,' which we recommend you use for childcare while you work."

I thought it was a mistake when the first 'alimony' check arrived. Surely it was too much…? But the checks kept coming, always the same amount and never a day late. I was given so much money, I didn't need a job. I could dedicate all my time to… to Jacob. Give him my everything.

"Don't be social beyond what's necessary. The less people you interact with, the less chances there are for someone to see through the fiction."

We lived over a grocery, one that stocked baby supplies no less. Four employees, but just the one if I only shopped once a week. I had more money than I knew what to do with, so I paid the neighbor to buy us clothes instead of doing it myself. Less people, less problems. And no going outside! That was how the Teeth found us, walking in the park, and for what? Clean air? Sunlight? Nowhere was clean in New York, and we could get sunlight just fine through the window! There was no reason to go outside—none. Nothing but danger lurked out there.

I should have known better. Danger was everywhere.

I heard the alarms, loud and shrill, cutting through the walls like not even the traffic could. Of course. Of course the first Endbringer attack in the US would be here. God, where was the closest shelter?! I knew where one was by our old apartment, but that was in Queens. It would be suicide to go that far, much less on foot with a toddler in tow! I banged on the neighbor's door without reply, and everyone had already fled the grocery.

Alone.

I took my son to the tub, the furthest place we could get from the exterior wall. I held him tight as the fighting grew closer, shushed him in vain when he began crying and wailing.

Did it hear him, that monster? Did it hear my little boy?

Why did I hide in the tub? What good was a tub against such a demon?

The ceiling cracked above us. I tried to flee. Too late.

I threw my son to safety.

Want to read chapters early? Interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord!
(and in case you were wondering, the last two chapters of Alexia's story are up to preview there!)

Rust 7.c8 (June)
[Butcher: You're a fucking coward, Sixteen.]

I didn't bother replying. There was no point. How he hadn't gotten bored of trying to goad me yet, I wasn't sure. The worst of the Chorus had all hounded me non-stop for the first few days after Nothung fled, and that was even worse than it sounded since inheriting Footloose's power meant I no longer needed to sleep.

I rolled over, careful not to lose my page or my concentration on the pennies I had secreted away into forgotten corners. Becoming a Brute, it seemed, did not mean I couldn't find my cell's cot horrifically uncomfortable. My eyes returned to my book—

A clicking, uneven purr slithered through my thoughts, drawing an unconscious shiver out of me. [Deimos: Layers upon layers… Mmmmm…]

That… was new. And unpleasant. Deimos?

[It is evil you anticipate?] The purr swelled, devolving into uneven exhales I only recognized as chuckles from passed on memories. [How long will it be, I wonder, before she comes for you?]

I stiffened, peripherally aware others were speaking up, the loudest jeering, Deimos laughter buoyed by theirs. She wouldn't, would she? Surely not. Not after what happened. As if summoned by my fretting, officers guarding the perimeter of the building snapped their weapons up out of idle readiness to attention.

No… No… [Deimos: Ke ke ke.] [Belial: Speak of the devil.] [Rotlimb: Oh please, oh please…] [Diamondback: Not long at all, it would seem.]

They opened fire, and chaos ensued. My spinning pennies stuttered, almost falling to the floor. I almost melted the bullets before clamping down on the instinct. It might not be them. It could be the Teeth. It could be anyone attacking the PRT. But no. No, I could feel it in my bones, something unspoken, unshakable.

"Elle."

The wall swelled, a bulbous growth that grew from an amorphous mass into a shape I knew very well. [Footloose: Yo, what?] [Toro: Oooh…kay?] We had read so many books together over the months, among them the rest of the Narnia books, but that first one had always held a special place. But was it a lie? My heart clenched at the thought. [Footloose: Oh! Oh, y'all are into that, huh? Wouldn't have thought!] [Edict: Is that thing dangerous…?] [Deimos: Delicious.]

"Come, fortunate favorite of the Queen."

I grimaced, folding in on myself and only belatedly realizing Elle had begun to make the simply awful cot into a proper bed, its softness molding around me. God. Even after everything… she still cared? [Klaus: Get your mind out of the gutter, Foot!] [Toro: Fucking whatever. If this weird shit gets us out of here, then I'm all for it.] No! My attention snapped back to the fighting outside, where family was being shot at.

"Elle, please. This isn't helping. Just…" [Footloose: You ask the impossible, good sir.] [Rotlimb: Listen to your, uh, freaky wolf friend and get out of here!] Words failed me. If they were willing to go so far as to attack the PRT to try and break me out, then what could I say that would convince her to leave? [Butcher: Worthless, scared pussy.] "Just get everyone out of here." Useless. Pointless. Fuck. Fuck. "Go."

[Alchemist: Very eloquent, June darling.] The wolf's attention shifted, rising with its hackles. It was already pandemonium out there. What could be drawing her attention? [Deimos: Ke ke…] Had one of our friends been hurt? [Delible: Would you stop giggling like some sort of demented lizard clown?] What was hap—? I flinched, my eyes snapping up as well at the sheer velocity of what I'd felt. Was some—? Another?! [Deimos: I do as I please, Lethe cursed.] Two more bullets damn near exploded into my range, making it unequivocal. Someone was sniping out there. The PRT? Special ops units use— [Edict: Special ops units use—] … ugh, more of these unwanted memories... [Edict: —snipers for Blast… err, shit. Now I feel bad…]

The wolf's low growl as it stared up through the ceiling drew my attention, and my heart constricted all over again, the turmoil above us fading into the background. [Toro: Good, lean into that feeling, shitstain.] She didn't get it, did she? There was no rescue without a hostage. There was no love without… "Elle, please…" [Klaus: Oh, June, honey…]

"No." My pennies wobbled again, many falling to the floor. It was the wolf who had spoken, but not as Maugrim, the White Witch's captain. Tears pricked my eyes. Hearing Elle's voice after a week apart… Fuck, I hadn't realized how much I'd needed to hear her. I wanted to wake up from this nightmare, to just wake up already in her arms, to just let it all out as she held me tight. [Quarrel: Ugh. I'm gonna be sick.] [Belial: You can have that, Juniper. But you cannot have it here.]

The seal on the door released, and my heart nearly stopped as Legend walked into the room, his star flecked cloak of impossibly dark cloth almost floating around him. I hadn't seen him since after the fight, when I… when I surrendered to him. [Rotlimb: When you squished that girl like a bug, you mean.] I grit my teeth, and forced myself to focus on Legend as he asked, "Might I ask you to listen to your friend?"

Elle's construct bent its knees in response, one of its back legs crossing behind the other but otherwise didn't reply. [Rotlimb: Girl, that's a fucking compliment. You were straight savage!] Legend took it in stride, pressing on without concern, "Meteor is here of her own choosing. Please stop, or I must make you."

I nervously eyed the shadowy apparitions that had followed Legend in, and as expected, Strobe was among them. Basically every thread about the Triumvirate featured someone rekindling the old argument about whether he should still be counted as a member. But that was stupid, because how were you supposed to give hope if you were dead? No, Legend had inherited that role after Rukh killed Strobe. [Toro: Served him right getting dusted, the self righteous prick.] That power alone would probably be enough to take out everyone in our crew, and Legend had that plus two more I didn't recognize at his disposal. Elle had to—

I froze. All around the street above us, the metal in range began to shift and vanish. Street lamps, manholes, cars—everything I could touch up there was being subsumed. I knew this feeling. I knew it well. Elle was changing things. Fuck, it felt like she was changing everything. Changes of this magnitude, meant she was having a very, very bad day, and yet…

The wolf bared fangs of gleaming white. "No. Running."

… but she spoke. A construct speaking with its own voice was normal—hell, this one in particular spoke to me the night before Providence—but Elle spoke. Twice. [Klaus: Is… is that significant?]Very significant.

"I see." The apparitions shifted, and my breath caught in my throat. "I give you one last chance to recon—" [Footloose: Yo, they're about to fight over you! How flattering is that?!]

"Legend, sir, wait!" Therese? If I hadn't recognized the voice at the door, I doubt I could have pulled my attention away from the brewing conflict. I turned, and instead of the armor I expected, Therese was in casual attire, her clothes and hair disheveled and the domino mask over her eyes was askew, obviously hastily applied. "You'll want to hear this." [Klaus: Oh shit.] [Rotlimb: Well look who the cat dragged in.]

But it wasn't her who held my focus. That honor belonged to my mother, who stood next to her in full PRT officer attire, helmet tucked under her arm.

"Parley, Legend." Elena fixed Legend with a tight smile, her features on full display. Absolutely nothing hid her identity. [Butcher: Hn. The traitor comes to save her daughter. Surprise surprise.] [Belial: Ah, Elena, as expected. I wonder what she has conjured up to spirit you away, Juniper.]

Wha— But she's unmasked! Why?!

[Belial: Why indeed. This will be interesting.] "You are not one of my staff." Earlier, he had spoken with only his voice, but faced with an unknown aggressor, his words were layered as if spoken in sync by a ghostly choir. "Who are you?" [Rotlimb: She's just being a dumbass.]

"Elena Anders, at your service," she answered without hesitation, doubling down on revealing her identity and leaving me dumbfounded. "Though you would know me better as Heavensword." [Toro: What the fuck.] [Alchemist: Quite an interesting turn of events, one must admit.]

Klaus?? Do you have any idea what she's doing??

[Rotlimb: Hellooooo. Being a dumbass, like I said.] [Klaus: I have absolutely no idea…] Strobe shifted, but there was no sign of his signature blue-white lasers. Casual but ready, his expression made inscrutable by his shadowy body like all of Legend's apparitions. "I had expected you to be fighting amongst your compatriots," Legend remarked, his voice still ethereal. "To what do we owe the dubious honor of the Teeth's presence this evening?" [Rotlimb: I swear that crazy bitch is always doing shit that makes no fucking sense when it involves you.]

"I am here to negotiate the release of my daughter." [Rotlimb: See? Told you.]

"Ah, intriguing." Legend spared me a glance before returning his attention to Elena. His apparitions never once looked away from her. "Yes, I see that now. I presume you have a means of communicating with your people. Call them off, and we may parley."

"You presume incorrectly, nor would I, even had I the means. It would rather ruin my proposal." She looked away from him, her eyes casting over the ceiling with a gleam. "I shall begin by confessing I coordinated this little soirée. I used my sway over the Teeth to convince them of the lie that my daughter is the new Butcher and being held against her will by the PRT. More importantly, I did so within Labyrinth's range, knowing she would warn the rest of her teammates."

She… what? [Belial: Ah. Yes, I see.] [Footloose: Yo, I am so confused right now, not gonna lie.]

Elle's wolf did not appear impressed with her apologetic tilt of the head, but Elena forged ahead regardless. "You and yours do not trust me," she said, pointedly ignoring her own hypocrisy, "and you would not have listened, had I told you your planned jailbreak was almost certainly doomed to fail. And so I gave you what you expected, plans of perfidy, and maneuvered you towards our only true chance."

"I am ordinarily in favor of villains monologuing," Legend remarked, openly glib, "but lives are at stake. I will only entertain your theatrics for so long, Heavensword." [DZ: Wait wait wait. She wanted your team to believe she was betraying them, so they would betray her, which she needed in order to betray them? Am I getting that right?]

"Then I shall be brief. The Teeth are attacking your headquarters, and I will rain devastation upon everything and everyone nearby."

"Mother, stop it!" The words left my lips before I realized what I was saying—what I was admitting. [Edict: Ha…] [Rotlimb: Ugh. I'm gonna be sick.] I might have imagined the sheen in Elena's eyes, but I couldn't focus on that, couldn't take back what had been said. [Klaus: Oh Elena… How long has she waited to hear that…?] There was only the path forward. "Stop it right now. What is this madness supposed to accomplish?!"

Her lips twitched, the faintest hint of a smile. I had no doubt what she wanted to do, but she held back, refusing to lose sight of what was happening. "Because you and your crew, who were here to negotiate a mutually beneficial path forward, will openly capture us all and in so doing solidify public perception of yourselves as making a turn for the heroic. The PRT's PR dilemma will be at an end." [Caterpillar: Yes, that could work.] [Belial: Clever girl, is she not? I approve.]

You're mad, all of you! I sprang to my feet and gestured wildly at the concrete walls, as if to remind her what, exactly, I was really here for. "Even if the PRT went collectively insane and decided to play along with your lies, I refuse. I— I murdered Pan— Am— Goddammit, I belong in here! And I'm not gonna let you hold people hostage in some fucked up self-sacrifice ploy over me!" [Diamondback: Stop arguing against your own freedom.] [Toro: Jesus, would you quit it with the fucking pity party already?]

Elena stepped forward and lifted her hands, and I caught myself thinking she was beckoning me in for a hug. She gripped steel and drew it over the thin skin beneath her eyes, blood oozing freely in dark trails down her cheeks as a crown bloomed into existence upon her brow. "The past is dead. Don't cling to it like your foolish mother." [Delible: Oh, Elena…] [Diamondback: You are wasting her sacrifice for no reason.] Real tears mixed with blood. "All I have ever given you is pain and suffering. If I can at least give you back your future, then I will be satisfied." [DZ: Fuck, dude…]

"Why are you just sitting there?" I was not crying as I whirled on Legend. "All that power, you can stop all of this right now!"

"Why are you?" The choir was gone. Had he always sounded so small without them? [Klaus: It's no good, June. Elena will have covered every possible option. She had to know he would be here.] "What good is your remaining here? What ill does it spawn?" [Belial: You have been outplanned, Juniper.]

Elle's wolf stepped forward, and the walls meeting at the corner of the room began to curl in and away from each other, giving way to a rough hewn, cracked stairway covered in vines. A wrought iron gate littered with patches of rust slipped into existence at its apex as Elle's wolf tucked its head around my leg and tugged me towards it.

The last of my pennies fell to the floor, and I felt the tug—the fugue. [Toro: Goddammit…] [Klaus: No. June, no.] [Belial: Tsk.]

"You're afraid." I blinked, languid, my eyes drifting to Therese where she still stood by the cell door, alone. [Footloose: I dunno why y'all are gettin' pissy. Sixteen's super fun when she lets go!] "Of the harm you can do. Of not knowing what's you anymore."

I didn't reply. Couldn't. The words were too hard. I just needed… to sink. [Delible: C'mon, June, don't do this!] [Klaus: Fight it!]

"It's too much for just you, and having powers doesn't make that any better. You don't believe in yourself." [Butcher: Ugh.] [Alchemist: Thought we were getting somewhere for a moment… Alas.]

Sword Mother frowned. Disappointed. "This is not help—"

"But you're not doing this alone." The cute girl's hands glowed, pretty, pink and pastel. Then all of her. "Please forgive me."

She hugged me, and I woke up.

"Now let's go save your friends."

A/N: Want to read chapters early? Interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord!

Rust 7.a20 (Alexia)
Darkness. Trapped under rubble, a tub my tomb.

I screamed.

Had he made it? Was my little boy safe??

I screamed, but no one heard.

I couldn't hear him. I should be able to hear him, right? I couldn't hear him.

I screamed, but no one replied.

I pushed, but couldn't escape. I pulled, but nothing budged. I needed to get to my boy. I screamed—

Darkness. Specks of light littered it, but what were droplets to an ocean? The darkness swelled, consuming, and there was nothing I could do. How could an ant fight a god? It gripped me, nicked and bled me, and I screamed to the void for help. Two stars grew closer, and lighthouses on a distant shore. I reached for one, and though I had no hands, it saw me. Glorious and shining, it cast away the depths and filled me, destroyed and rebuilt me, its beacon.

—and the light answered.

I shone with it, and around me the rubble that trapped me was illuminated. I roared, defiant, and lashed out.

Reckless.

My light cut through the rubble in an instant, erased it as easily as it would the dark. The remnants shifted immediately, no longer stable, but I didn't care about that.

My baby boy. Blood and bone, crushed and scorched.

I screamed, and the light answered.

It erased the remnants of our home. Of my William.

But it couldn't erase Behemoth or what it had done. What I had done.

A/N: One chapter left for Alexia's story. Want to read it early? Just interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord!

Rust 7.b14 (Quarrel)
I'd been a hero, once upon a time. A punisher of the wicked and protector of the righteous.

I had been weak, so I learned what parts of the body subdued someone when hit. I had been caught and shot sneaking up, so I joined a local archery club to work from afar. I had some of the wicked I punished come back when they healed, so I started maiming instead of subduing. I had 'heroes' begin complaining about my methods, so I avoided working with them.

I'd had problems, so I had solved them. And Deimos, he had been a problem. One that grew stronger the longer it went unchecked, who the heroes could not and would not solve. And so I had tracked him, hunted him… And when the chance had come to solve the problem of Deimos once and for all, it was stolen from me by a self-righteous 'hero' who dared to claim moral superiority over me. My quarry escaped, and it returned worse than ever before as the latest Butcher. 'No one can be allowed to kill him,' the pretenders had cried, afraid to do what needed to be done, afraid they would be too weak willed to resist.

But I'd had a problem, and so I had solved it. I killed Deimos, the thirteenth Butcher, took on the burden; just another problem to solve. And in the days that followed, I finally realized there were no wicked, no righteous. There were only problems, and I could either solve them or be solved by them.

I'd been a hero, once upon a time. What a fool.

A/N: That's the last chapter this short for the remainder of Rust, and the end is in sight. Just three chapters to go!
Want to read next week's chapter now? Interested in supporting me? Check out my Discord!

Rust 7.a21 (Alexia)
Warning: This chapter contains multiple suicide attempts and copious suicidal ideation. Please read with caution.

The battle was over. Suspended over the city, buoyed by a power I barely understood, I could clearly trace the still smoldering path Behemoth took from Long Island through Queens to Manhattan. Had it been after the Chrysler Building? Grand central? Not Rockefeller or the Empire State—its unstoppable, unwavering march had been in a near perfectly straight line. Whatever its aim, Brooklyn had come through nearly unscathed.

But not us.

I had to be thousands of feet in the air, but I could see it all with impossible clarity. The grocery and our little apartment block had been reduced to shattered brick and smoking, broken boards, identifiable only by its proximity to Cypress, the large cemetery a few blocks away. People had begun to leave the shelters, horror and terror on every face as they searched for loved ones.

All I could think of was blood and bone and the light erasing them.

A noise clawed its way up out of my throat, one I hadn't known I could make—that I feared I shouldn't be able to make. There, on the far side of Queens, I could see Far Rockaway. I traced the streets effortlessly, my eyes sliding over the survivors flooding the sidewalks and the street signs suspended over them. Not some strange facet of a power I didn't understand, but a far more mundane familiarity born of living here for years. There. The apartment we had shared with Elena.

Untouched.

"William Klaus Anderson." Could Elena hear me up here? See the pure light I had become? See the woman who had betrayed her to save our child… only to put him directly in the line of fire? "June 1st, 1995… November 6, 1996."

A name and a date.

I lifted the sliver of steel my light had cut from a car. I lifted it and set its edge against my throat. Wasn't it supposed to be harder? One little cut, and I'd become a name and a date. Maybe that was why that force of nature had marched through New York. To remind us how easily we die.

I'm sorry, William. I slit my throat.

… what…? No. No! I felt it! I felt it, goddammit!

My free hand groped my throat, blood smearing as my fingers blindly traced over every inch of it. No cut.

I jabbed the steel through. Left it there for good measure. The protrusions fell away, and my breathing began to grow erratic, as I fumbled for a solution. I just— I just needed to turn it off, right? Right! That was all! There—I could feel it inside myself, a switch set to on. I flipped it, and the light suffusing me vanished.

I plummeted.

I survived. The light returned, stopping me just above the pavement. I tried again, screaming at the light to leave me alone and let me die, but it kept coming back. Eyes were on me, people stopping to stare, all those eyes watching me never leaving staring won't stop won't let me die won't won't won't

I moved. I hadn't meant to. I didn't recall doing it either. Had I lost time? One moment I was hovering over the streets of Cypress Hills, the next I was at the park by the lighthouse. The park where the Butcher had attacked us. Where Klaus had killed him.

Untouched by the destruction, the tower loomed imperiously over the East River. The lighthouse's lantern was out.

I couldn't die. I had killed my son, but I couldn't kill myself. Could I drown myself? Or would the light drag me out, purge the water from my lungs? Would this curse ever be done with me?

I lifted into the air and over the river, carried by the light and its warmth, and came to a stop before the lighthouse. The power was out, I realized. Of course it was. And without it, there was no light. I reached out to touch the glass surrounding the lantern, tracing my fingers over the pane. The light in me began to swell. Would I run out? Could I give the city everything and just… stop?

The sun set. I didn't.

All night, I lit the waters of the river and the shores beyond them. No one came to investigate. I could only presume they had bigger problems to solve. The water ebbed and flowed beneath my rays, and with it, my breathing began to calm. Slowly. So, so slowly. But the more I gave and the longer I watched the river, clarity settled in.

I had killed my son. But so had Behemoth. The battle was a blur, my memories murky, but I remembered helping. I remembered struggling with what I could and couldn't do. I remembered striking that wretched beast until it fled.

I would kill it. I would use my power. Become better—stronger. Enough that someday I could hunt that monster down and kill it.

And when that day came… maybe I could finally die.

The sun rose, and with it the power returned. Behind the glass, the lantern flared to life, and my duty done, I rose into the sky.

My gaze lingered on the lighthouse below, and so did my thoughts. A half forgotten history lecture came to mind, and with it a name.

The Lighthouse of Alexandria.

I watched the lighthouse, and it watched me.

A/N: Y'all, I have been waiting for this moment for ages. What do you think of Alexia's journey? Love it? Hate it? Super fucking confused by it? You can tell me all about it here or on my Discord!

Rust 7.b15 (Sarah)
Warning: This chapter depicts a history of self-harming and shows an attempt to self harm. It also features graphic description of violence and the undoing of that violence, including first person perspective of being beheaded. Please read with caution.

Is this it? I thought as the car rolled to a stop next to the curb of the mall. The exterior was aging and dreary, but last I knew, management had begun revamping a few entrances on the far side. There was probably a metaphor to be found in fixing the outside before the inside.

"The mall closes in four hours. When shall I meet you here to pick you back up, Miss Livsey?"

"Closing is good," I absently muttered, already half out the door. The muggy June air seeped straight through my shirt, leaving me uncomfortably tugging my sleeves down. I hated doing this here, tainting good memories. Bittersweet, but good; memories of better days. But there were too many watchful eyes at home, and it was getting harder to find privacy at school.

"Miss Livsey…"

"Yes?" I fought down a frustrated huff. My driver that evening was a new hire—Helena, if I recalled correctly—who I neither knew nor gave a shit about. But I could just imagine my parents somehow catching wind of me being rude to the staff. I had enough to worry about from them already. "What is it?"

She turned to properly look at me, her voluminous black curls shifting with the gesture, nearly engulfing her neck. She gave me a look I couldn't parse. "You can always call me early, if you want. I'll bring you straight back home."

"Sure." I tried for a polite smile. "Thanks."

I won't be. I closed the door.

The car pulled away, and I turned back to the mall and headed in. The doors parted, and cold, blessed air conditioning pried me free from summer's grasp. I tugged my sleeves down, trying not to fidget as I oriented myself. There was a time, once, when I knew this mall like the back of my hand. Funny how it felt like a stranger. My feet carried me deeper into the building, and when I reached the fork, I briefly considered heading to the lingerie shop I had forced Reggie into last summer. Just to soak in the memories, to wallow in the past.

I scowled at the feeling of water pricking at my eyes. What good had crying done for Reggie when I was too late?

I pointedly turned left. Technically the bathroom down that way was a hair closer, but I didn't trust myself. One of the mall cops I passed eyed me longer than I liked, so I passed the first bathroom in favor of the one by the food court further down and carefully checked to make sure no mall cops were in sight when I slipped in. I heard a mother gently shushing a baby in the back stall, likely using the changing table. It was nice the bathroom was nearly empty but unnecessary. I was accustomed to managing at school; I could manage here.

I started towards an empty stall in the middle, but the unfamiliar girl in the mirror caught my attention. Dark blond hair pulled back in a loose, messy tail contrasted sharply with the high quality—if misplaced in the summer heat—long-sleeve shirt of banded white and gray that hugged her just right. Likewise, the almost dainty collection of freckles over the bridge of her nose didn't match the lips curled in a perpetual frown whatsoever. But it wasn't the mismatched, opposing elements of her appearance that truly caught me. It was the dark storm that lingered in her gaze, held back for fear of how much worse she would make things if stopped holding it in.

The mother exited the back stall, breaking the spell the mirror held over me. I brushed past her, ignoring her confused expression as I dipped into the stall I'd eyed before. Door shut and secured, I sat on the lid and pulled my sleeves up. I looked right at home, surrounded by the graffiti scratched into the dividers. I pulled my foundation compact out of my purse and jammed my fingernail into the thin groove lining the edge of the plastic casing, prying it apart with practiced ease. The contraband I'd hidden within would have sent my parents into a frenzy had they known.

The razor didn't glint in the dim light of the bathroom. It was dull, reflecting only my pain and failures. Admitting I had suspected something was wrong. Months of my parents' hate and accusations, of my every move being hounded. They needn't have bothered; I loathed myself enough for not finding him in time.

I plucked the small wedge of steel out of its hiding place and hesitated. Not about the what—only the where. It wasn't the first time I had second guessed myself, been tempted. I held the tip of the blade over my wrist. One cut. Life didn't have a reset button, but it did have a stop. I couldn't undo all the pain I'd caused, but I could make mine end with one cut.

But Reggie deserved better. And I deserved to suffer.

An explosion shook the building, the walls, the toilet, my wrist. The blade slid across my skin, but by a minor miracle, the explosion had prompted me to jerk back and away—I missed the artery.

"What the fuck?" Another explosion. Closer? I wasn't sure. I heard screaming in the distance. "What. The. Fuck?!"

I sat there, paralyzed with terror as the screaming grew louder. What was happening? We were in a mall. Why would there be explosions in a mall? A gas leak in the food court maybe? Terrorists? Should I make a run for it? Stay?

A third explosion rocked the room, making my decision for me as the aging infrastructure began to give up the ghost. I scrambled off the toilet, the compact clattering to the floor and coating my legs in a cloud as I fumbled with the stall door. I narrowly avoided a falling ceiling tile as I rushed for the exit, my heart in my throat. I reached for the door, and it flew open to meet me. The painted steel connected with my wrist first, nearly breaking it and barely slowed for it before colliding with my face. The bang of corroding steel against the wall felt distant as I was thrown to the floor, but the screams only grew louder as the woman from before rushed back in, her screaming baby clutched to her chest.

"Wha's—?" I nearly choked on a glob of blood and teeth before weakly coughing it up. "Wha's happ'n'n?"

The door opened, and I blinked, briefly believing the sight to be the result of my head trauma.

A great maw of fur and teeth stood within the door. Its focus fell upon me, and it was only when I saw the crooked, yellow grin inside of it that I recognized I was looking at a man. A man swathed in cloth and fur and blood. A man with bones arranged around his head like a predator's jaw.

A man who chucked a cheeseburger into the ruined remains of the restroom.

I stared, unsure what to make of the unspoken non-sequitur. Unsure why the mother's screams redoubled, her child wailing in her arms as she tried and failed to scale the mound left by the partially collapsed ceiling. Dazed as I was, staring at that yellow wrapper was likely the only reason I noticed the bolt of something as it flew through the air and stuck the burger.

I certainly didn't miss it beginning to swell and glow.

The door began to swing shut, the beast of a man leaving. The woman finally recognized the futility of trying to flee and settled on throwing her child up into the ruined ceiling. And I had no idea what that swelling cheeseburger meant. I lunged for the door anyway. I wasn't going to make it.

It was a strange feeling, coming to the end of a journey.

The door slammed shut, and pain beyond words overwhelmed me. I rolled to a stop, floor before me, blood to door. The beast man was shaking—laughing?—walking away. I breathed but couldn't, gasping, drowning. Reggie? Let me up, Reggie! It hurt—I hurt—please please please!

A tear escaped and crawled down my cheek—

I was alone—no Mom and Dad, no scars, no Reggie. There was only the abyss and the better days that haunted it, pinpricks in an empty void. Fury roared out of me like a peal of thunder. I didn't want to remember, to bear the weight of him anymore. It would be easier to only know the dark, to have never known the light of day. But I didn't deserve it. The light grew, twin starbursts in a world too small for their terrible magnificence, who wept when they laid eyes upon us. It was their mercy that cut them down, and it was their mercy that found me.

—only to reverse course, climbing back into me.

Blood. Bones. They came back like a river, flowing, under and around the battered steel door across the hall. The world lurched sideways, and life pried me free from death's grasp. My vision doubled with a wet squelch as an eye I only now realized had burst reformed and popped back into its socket. I felt with horrible clarity as vertebrae and nerves reconnected, as bones reformed from dust, as my blood slithered back into veins reborn.

I breathed. I breathed, and I screamed

I was drowning in the void, the light crushed and scattered, made mere motes, harbingers of the grave awaited creation. Where before I cast it away, now I welcomed it, but through the doors flung wide came the grave robbers with their stolen sparks, shards of a greater whole I could never dream of fathoming. They wept in the face of the end, mighty rivers built of their ill-gotten bounty, and I drank of the water.

— I blinked, slow and languid. Pieces of something were rushing towards me, and I was sideways…? I pushed myself to my feet, struggling to… remember…? Oh. Oh.

"What the fuck?" I was naked. I was naked, and people were screaming. "What. The. Fuck?!"

"Well fuck me." My eyes snapped up. A man stood down the hall, looking back over his shoulder with a hint of a dazed expression and an ugly leer, a toothy smile sat within a headdress of bones and fur arranged like the maw of a beast. He turned back to me, the large satchel slung across his chest shifting with the motion, tugging at the studs of his leather jacket. "You've got powers? This just got way more exciting!"

His hand dipped into the satchel, pulling out a… burger? A man like him makes a statement like that then pulls out fast food? It was dangerous, had to be. Right? My body was already in motion, even as I wrestled with parsing my own logic. Rushing forward while dodging as he chucked meat wrapped in bread wrapped in plastic, as something my eyes refused to focus on shot out of his finger after it. I was upon him in an instant and gripped the strap of his satchel, yanking hard and throwing him after his own projectile. As he flew down the hall, the satchel strap caught on his jacket again, tugging it and him off and sending him into a tumble that threw him headfirst into the floor well short of the burger swelling and glowing ominously.

How did I do th—?

The burger exploded. The force of the shock wave knocked me back and the breath out of my lungs, the only reason I wasn't left howling in agony as the remains of the tile floor tore into me. My exposed body was nearly flayed apart by the intact floor further down as friction dragged me to a stop. I heaved, greedily sucking in air, feeling faint. My everything hurt. What had—? The man. The burger. I needed to get away, I needed to get out of here, I needed… needed…?

I felt strange, like running water was slipping under and past me, except it stayed—it stayed, and the pain left and the… the something left too. I shook my head, trying to clear the cobwebs and grasp what was eluding me, but it was gone. With a sigh, I flexed my abs to pull myself upright.

My abs? I didn't— "What the fuck?" Forget the fucking abs, why was I naked? "What. The Fuck?!"

A groan drew my attention back to my surroundings, and I gaped at the chaos and destruction around me. The hallway half reduced to rubble, the jacket and bag in a heap nearby, and the man splayed over the floor further down the hall, his clothes cobbled together with bones and fur half scoured away and burns left in their absence. People were screaming somewhere nearby. Had there been a bomb? Bombs? I instinctively grabbed the jacket, throwing the heavy, studded leather over my shoulders in a vain effort to preserve my decency.

"God, I— I need to get out of here," I whispered to no one. Certainly not the broken man on the floor, his moaning continuing in refrain. "Get up, Sarah. Just get up. Get up, a-and go."

I pushed myself to my feet and pulled the jacket on properly after the movement nearly sent it slipping off my shoulders. I sprinted down the hall and away, sucking in deep breaths as I stepped out into the… mall? Right, I had wanted to come here, wanted to—what? Memories were elusive, like I was trying to grab water with a strainer. I should have been worried, horrifically worried that I couldn't recall what I had done that day, but all I could muster was a sense of unease and frustration.

Even caught up in my head as I was, I knew to run away from the screaming. There was no running away from the arrow that shot through leather and my shoulder alike, sending me tumbling from the sheer force of the strike. I'd scarcely hit the floor when the air beside me erupted in a ball of flame, instantly torching the skin not covered by leather.

"You. Who are you?"

I barely heard her over my torturous wail, let alone registered her words when my every thought was consumed by the sheer, unadulterated pain… flooding…? I shook away a sense of déjà vu, blinking at the sight of skulls strung on a cord of leather over samurai armor embellished with barbed blades and bone fragments. God, déjà vu?? How had it taken me even a moment to place where I knew this cape? I'd seen her on the news recently, hadn't I? An arrow clattered to the floor from somewhere as I scrambled back, my ass cheeks catching on the tile as I tried to put distance between myself and the Butcher.

"A regenerator." Past her, I could see Teeth everywhere, hunting and torturing mall patrons, watching their twisted festivities, looting—both stores and the bones of victims. But my eyes refused to focus on them, not with the Butcher herself looming over me, a bow the length of her height in hand with an arrow already nocked. "Interesting. What did you do with Spurt?"

"S-S-Spurt?" I shook my head, bewildered. "What? Who?"

Without warning, my world became pure pain. Nothing I had ever felt came close, not even breaking my arm on the playground as a child. How could a broken bone compare to the agony suffusing every last bit of me at once? There was no room left for thought, only blind, instinctive reaction. I flailed, I howled, I begged, I cried—

"Do not try my patience, girl."

It was tiny, the anger those tears birthed in me. Near infinitesimal measured against the pain that had provoked it, but it grabbed me and grew with vengeance, a spark on oil that burst into an inferno.

"Where i—?" She reacted before I was even in motion, the all-encompassing pain instantly vanishing as her wide eyes shot down to trace my foot as it arced towards her stomach. A pressure around my neck disappeared, and it was only as gravity asserted its dominance over me that I realized she had been holding me up by my throat. The world around me changed, and an explosive force tore into me even as I was baptized in flame.

The fracture of shattering ceramic tile, the whoosh of innocent mall foliage set ablaze, the rip and crack of leather and iron armor torn in two, the shouts of people rushing towards us. Over it all, it was the grunt of air escaping the Butcher that I heard as my foot slammed into her stomach, undeterred by the rest of me being ripped apart. And as we fell together, I pulled on the wrist I had never released, the wrist I had apparently grabbed while I was choked and flooded with alien agony. I pulled her, and as we fell into the broken shards let by our violent arrival, my fist met her. The painted metal of her mask fared no better than the armor over her abdomen, but again, it was no the sound of split steel that caught my ears—

— it was the crack as her head snapped to the side.

We collapsed, strings cut, the play over. Cue the curtain call to the tragedy. How had I even found my way here? What had I done to earn the attention of the Butcher? A rasp slipped out of me, as my head lolled. I didn't need to see the damage she had done to me. Every inch of me was screaming, and not because the dead Butcher next to me willed it. This puppet was done, spent, and the hands that had made me dance were content to let me burn, return to the ashes…

"Ah, I see." My eyes cracked open with a wince at the harsh glare of exposed fluorescent bulbs above me. A shadow passed over me, and I blinked, bleary-eyed but relieved from the shade. "Another is crowned."

"See what?" I slowly sat up, tired and confused. "Where am I?"

"You are here, quite naturally." I turned to give the unfamiliar voice a look for daring to sound so amused while waking me up from my apparent catnap, but stopped short at the feeling of ash and hot tile shifting under my butt and heavy cloth draped over my bare thighs.

"What the fuck?"

Standing in a silent circle around me were unknown men and women wrapped in cloth and leather, all adorned with blood and bone. The person who had spoken was knelt beside me, a bloody tooth resting in the palm of her hand. Her cheeks were lined with tears of caked blood and caressed by a spiked crown of dull, dark steel, but it was her eyes that grabbed me. Hurricanes caught for a time, death suspended until the right moment.

"What. The. Fuck?!"

She rose to her feet as the sound of sirens reached us, and gestured to the people surrounding us—to the Teeth—scattering them. An injured one lingered, his costume and headdress of bones and fur ripped and scorched clothes sparking overwhelming déjà vu, but he left a moment later.

"I apologize for this unfortunate introduction." I blinked, bewildered by the hand up she offered me. "Come, we must leave."

Maybe it was the thought of how much fuel it would add to the fire that was my life, of trying to explain how I woke up at the mall surrounded by Teeth, with only the shredded remnants of a leather jacket and a bolt of dark blue cloth to protect my modesty. Or maybe it was her eyes and how they reminded me of the girl in the mirror, of the fear that every day I kept going, I would keep making things worse.

Maybe that was why I took her hand.

A/N: And that's a wrap on track B. We have one chapter left, the conclusion of track C, then Rust will finally be done. Depicting Sarah's resets from a first person perspective was a very novel form of narrative irony—we learn information along with her, then she forgets. I hope it was as interesting to read as it was to write!

What do you think of Sarah's trigger and the events surrounding it? Love it? Hate it? I'd love to hear your thoughts here or on my Discord!

A quick side note: I went back and tweaked Elle's interlude because it really wasn't working for me on reread. You may want to go back and give it another look over.

Rust 7.c9 (Therese)
This was originally supposed to go up last week. It was also originally supposed to be perhaps half the just over 8600 words it now is. Hopefully that makes up for the delay.

Warning: This chapter contains dead naming, transphobia both from others and self-facing, and pretty heavily depicts suppression of gender dysphoria and the depression that evokes. Please read with caution.

I couldn't remember exactly when I had realized I was different from other boys, but I did know the exact date, the exact moment, I realized my parents wouldn't accept me for it.

I sat my phone down on the side table, trying to swallow down my nerves. We had finished the dinner the staff provided an hour ago. I had been probed about how my academics were going while we ate, and afterward we had all retired to the sitting room where they both dove into their work without a further word. Another day in my gilded cage. And come Saturday, I'd be on a flight back to school, my chance gone. It was now or never. "Father…? Mother…?"

When one grew up the heir to a prosperous family-run and -owned company, there was no such thing as school break. That isn't to say we never went on vacation, though I remain convinced most, if not all, of the trips we took were just shows of status, no different than my constantly updating designer clothes. No, I meant that I had no life outside of the one my parents were shaping for me. Elite boarding school, personal tutors, leadership camps, etiquette lessons—my parents were sculptors, and I was their marble to shape.

"Yes, Dean?" My mother looked up from her tablet, stylus tilted in her hand as she regarded me. Father remained fixated on his laptop, but I perhaps had half his attention. He thought himself a multi-tasker, and maybe it was true. Maybe I was just selfish, wanting his eyes on me instead. "What is it?"

We had been in LA for a conference on emerging trends in the tech sector. Or rather, my parents had been, and I was brought along as well. As a rising middle schooler, I had apparently reached the age where I needed to begin learning how to handle myself in business situations, and my parents had deemed the conference 'low stakes' enough for me to practice. It went without saying that it was a test. But if it hadn't been for one particular moment on that trip, I don't doubt it would have become just another hazy memory of a childhood sacrificed upon the altar of capitalism and high class society.

"I, uh—" I faltered, and in doing so had already failed. My mother's eyebrows lifted by the slightest margin, nigh unnoticeable if one didn't know what to watch for. My father's eyes flicked up towards me, lingered for a moment, then returned to his laptop. A charitable reading of their reactions might conclude they could tell I was anxious about the topic I wanted to discuss and were giving me space to speak. But all I heard was echoes of my decorum tutor's silent judgment for using an unintended filler word.

That moment began so innocuously that my memory of how it started remains hazy to this day, not at all like what followed. As we rode the elevator from the penthouse down to the lobby to depart for the conference, two women had gotten onto the elevator. Looking back on it later, I might have noticed they looked a bit different. But regardless of whether hindsight had colored my memory, I had identified them as women then returned my attention to my posture, knowing Mother was likely watching me and taking note. A perfectly normal, everyday occurrence—right up until my parents hurried me out of the elevator.

"I need to tell you something," I forced out. I was already admitting weakness; compounding that with failures would only make this harder, would make them more likely to reject me than they already were.

Had we been late, I wondered? My parents never rushed and were never late, but it wasn't an altogether alien concept—merely incompatible with my view of my parents. I might have asked, but I nixed that the moment I had glanced up to Mother in confusion only to find her expression stony. I learned why a few minutes later once we were in the back of the car and Father had sealed the divider between us and the chauffeur.

"Any further delay, and we'll die from suspense." If one was unfamiliar with Father, they might have laughed at the deadpan delivery. I recognized it for what it was; a mask to hide his impatience.

The women had been men—crossdressers, deviants, abominations—Father had informed me. People who had no business being in such an establishment, Mother had added. And as they went on to explain the signs to look for, what to do if I encountered one, and so on, it took every fiber of self-control that had been drilled into me to keep my face placid, to 'mhm' and 'yes' and 'I understand' in all the expected places.

Any further delay, and I might not say it. Might let it lie another day, week, month, year. Might keep the truth trapped in my chest, where it would wither and die, where the rot of its corpse would contaminate me, poison me, until I too died. Because when the only choices left were certain death or an impossibly thin ray of hope, the odds of failure stopped mattering.

Because once upon a time, a little girl that everyone thought was a little boy was told by her parents that she was an abomination. "I'm trans."

Brockton Bay was an oddity in New England. The ocean to the East and the hills enclosing the city on all other sides meant the Spring evenings weren't cold enough to kill the unprepared.

It was easier to imagine I hadn't been allowed to pack a bag or take a coat because my parents knew I wouldn't meet my end at the weather's hand.

They threw me out. I felt numb, staring at the gate to our property. Their property. The metal bars gleamed with the bloody light of the sun setting behind me. A distant part of me knew I needed to find somewhere to stay overnight, but— but surely this was just another of their tests? Or if it wasn't, then cooler heads would prevail? They wouldn't really throw me out…?

I wasn't sure how long I waited, not without my phone. Long enough for the sun to finish its retreat. Long enough for the light in my parents' bedroom to turn off.

"They threw me out." The bars were cold in my grip. Wild laughter bubbled up out of me. How long had I wanted a life outside these bars, outside the cage I had been born into, and now I wanted back in?

I hadn't put together any sort of supplies. I'd been only just keeping it together, and acknowledging the very real chance—likelihood—of being disowned would have sent me teetering into the abyss. Damned by my own ineptitude, I made my way to the nearby park, the only place my brain could scrounge up right then. I settled on a small copse of trees off the path I could only barely make out in the thin moonlight, and I eased myself into the groove between two of the thick roots sinking into the cold dirt.

Where would I sleep tomorrow? A shelter? Would they ask for ID? They had to, I was a high school freshman, clearly not an adult, so they'd want ID, and I wouldn't have it, and they'd call the police, and they'd find my parents, and I'd fail the test because this had to be a test, it was always a test, so no—no shelter, no. So I needed to find somewhere warm to sleep because I was so cold, and I didn't know if I could do this another night, and oh—oh, what about food? I wasn't hungry now, dinner wasn't so long ago was it? (I didn't know) But I was going to be hungry, and that meant I needed food, and I would be hungry before I needed to sleep, so that meant food, then food two more times for lunch and dinner too, then sleep, then all over again until the test was over. (It was always a test).

I blinked. The sky above me had begun to turn… blue? I slowly pushed myself up out of the roots, confused and drained. My body heavy, I eventually climbed to my feet and stumbled past the tree trunks and found burnished hues creeping over the skyscrapers dominating downtown. Sunrise—I hadn't slept. I thought of the boys in the dorms back at Horizons Academy, of being roped into all night movie marathons the night before break and falling asleep on the flight home, of fanciful dreams where I was made into a girl for some outlandish reason, of my parents being forced to admit it was all beyond my control, of there being no choice left but to just be a girl. I hadn't failed the test—the test had failed me.

My stomach growled, and I put one foot in front of the other. I couldn't eat dreams.

It took me three weeks to realize I had failed.

I met Gin and Hana on my third day, an older pair of homeless, who took pity on me. They were cautious of me—of my clothes, I later learned, which marked me as not one of them—but two nights of fitful rest in the dirt and grime had sullied the image enough to inspire doubt. My desperation had done the rest. They showed me the ropes, let me crash in their tent at the abandoned ferry station, let me use the heavy shawl Hana had found in a dumpster behind a boutique on the boardwalk some years ago, apparently so out of style it couldn't even merit the discount rack. Perfectly serviceable clothes, thrown away instead of being donated. It was no blanket, but what little warmth it afforded me during those cool nights left me feeling like a queen.

It all came to an end two weeks later. It wasn't cops chasing me down for rummaging through dumpsters like I'd feared. It wasn't my parents somehow finding me and welcoming their daughter home after passing their test like I'd hoped. It wasn't anything particularly special about my newfound homelessness whatsoever. I was hit by car. Running a red light, because of course they were.

A car driven by my parents' CFO.

He didn't run. He called 911 when I couldn't stand, and he gave the EMTs his insurance information while they loaded me onto a gurney, and he apologized to me and wished me a swift recovery, and he was telling the officers called to the scene what happened as I was wheeled away—

—and he acted like he had never met me in his life, like I hadn't dined in his home more times than I could remember, like he hadn't given me personal lessons on financial investment at my parents' behest.

"I'm Dean!" I shouted at him, as I was loaded into the ambulance, the name like ash in my mouth after Gin and Hana had used my name, had called me Therese, after I had been me for two weeks, but I needed him to see me—! And he did. He looked right at me, and the officer did the same and asked if he knew me.

"No."

I wanted to scream and shout, to get answers, but the EMTs did something, then I was limp and loose, limbo swallowing me. And they asked about my family, and I don't know what I told them before I woke up, my side sore and the lights bright. The nurse asked me about my family, and I thought of the man I had known, who had lied directly to the police, and before I knew it, I was rattling off the name of the CIO. And when they came back and said she didn't know me, I gave the CPO instead, and he said he didn't know me either—

Name after name, denial after denial. People I had eaten with and learned from, people who had told bad jokes I politely laughed at, people I had loathed but pretended to like anyway, people who I had known for years and years. And with each name I gave the staff, each denial it bought, the staff grew more distrustful. A patient advocate came to speak with me, to reason with me. "I want to help you, but I need to know who your parents are, 'Dean,'" and I could hear the quotes around my name when she used it. And as much as I hated that name, as much as I never wanted to use it again, it was me, the mask I took off to feel free, that I needed to wear again.

"Dean Stansfield," I whispered, not looking at her. I couldn't stand looking at all the little tells, the skepticism she was trying and failing to hide. "I'm Dean Stansfield."

"I thought you might say that." That got my attention, dragged over my unwilling eyes. Her expression sent dread trickling down my spine, ice pooling in my chest. "We can notice a trend, 'Dean.' It's impressive, memorizing so many names from the Stansfield Systems org chart like that."

I know them, I wanted to say, to scream and shout. But there was no point.

She showed me an article from the newspaper. The lie that two weeks ago, my parents had unexpectedly pulled me out of boarding school in the middle of the semester, citing health concerns necessitating home schooling for the foreseeable future.

It had taken me three weeks to realize I had failed the moment I admitted I was trans.

"'Dean'?" She waited for me to respond. But I couldn't. "Okay. I'll let you get some rest then. But if you change your mind, if there's anything I can do to help, you can use the bed phone to call my extension, okay?"

She scribbled 'Yelena #0320' on the room's whiteboard and left after one final look over her shoulder, her black curls disappearing around the corner. Dinner came a minute later, and I aimlessly picked at my fried green tomatoes until I eventually drifted off, exhausted with failure.

I dreamed of my parents, of tests, of darkness and stars, and when I woke up, I had powers.

"PRT non-emergency line. How may I assist?"

Having powers meant I had options, choices I hadn't had when I fell asleep. I could be an independent hero or a rogue, though things would be very rough until I got well established, perhaps even then. Vigilante laws gave independent heroes some leeway with what they could do with money secured from villains during their capture, but I'd heard there were lots of caveats, and the nature of the 'income' could obviously be sporadic.

"Hi, yes." I winced, clearly envisioning my parents staring me down. "I-I have powers. And I, uh—" I winced again. "—didn't have them yesterday?" A lovely summarization.

Rogues had less limitations that I knew of, and I could envision a few careers where sensing emotions could be beneficial—less so for my energy blasts I intuitively sensed I could make but dared not test while trapped in a hospital bed. I could be a therapist, an interrogator, a lawyer… just about any job where having a sense of what someone else was feeling would be helpful, really.

"Okay, understood," the operator replied, his tone shifting slightly. I felt a small twinge of annoyance that I couldn't identify what he was thinking as easily as I had seen my morning nurse's mild frustration laced with frantic worry and weariness. "Are you calling to inquire about joining the Wards?"

But being a hero, joining the Wards, that appealed the most. I could help people without needing to charge them and without needing to worry about meeting my basic needs. I could have room and board while saving money, and maybe… maybe I could have a fresh start.

"Yes, b-but, I need more info." The words practically tumbled over each other out of my mouth. My cheeks burned with the shame of failure, of judgment I couldn't shake. "I'm at Bayside, room—" I checked the board the advocate had written her number on "—1803. My parents, they're… please, they can't know."

That hardly did the situation justice. I could only hope it was enough. "I understand. There are some special circumstances where that may be appropriate. Our field rep is on the way and will be able to make a better determination."

It wasn't.

"Thank goodness you've found him!" my mother said as she rushed past the PRT field rep to my side, perfectly playing the part of the worried sick mother. Disgust, deceit, determination—her colors, cold and contracted, swam and shifted so rapidly I had trouble keeping up. "Dean, love, are you okay?"

"I'm terribly sorry for the hassle," I heard my father tell the rep by my room's door in hushed tones, his apparent relief contrasting starkly with the greedy glee that dominated most of his aura.

My parents were the CEO and CMO of a lucrative tech company, and it wasn't because they were stupid.

"Emotion reader, hm?" my mother whispered into my ear, as she leaned in to wrap her arms around me.

"We pulled him out of school after a breakdown on campus," my father lied with such ease I almost believed him, almost doubted my own sanity. "All this powers business… We hadn't expected he'd just walk out in the middle of the night."

They hadn't just disowned me for being an abomination. They had also sown the seeds of the perfect cover story, just in case.

"You threw me out," I croaked, too quiet for the rep to hear. I wish I had yelled. Shouted. Screamed. But would it have made any difference?

"What are you talking about, dear?" she hummed into my ear, the tone dissonant against my thoughts, out of time with my thundering heart.

"I've spoken with our staff, adjusted responsibilities. We'll make sure he's kept at home until he's better."

They would have security footage from the night I was thrown out, artfully edited to show only what they wanted. They'd have pulled strings with their C-Suite, who would all suddenly recognize me, all with believable excuses for why they didn't recognize me before.

At home. Satisfaction and vindictiveness. Where they controlled the narrative. Each flowed into the other. Controlled everything. Looping endlessly. Where they could do anything. "I—" Anything they wanted to me. "I—" ANYTHING THEY WANTED.

Something was beeping.

"You're welcome to do so, but the Wards program is happy to cover—"

"I'm sure the PRT's therapists are experts where powers are concerned," my mother interjected, her hand on my arm nearly as cold as the emotions wrapped around her heart, "but I think our boy needs better care than that."

More beeping. I needed— needed to say— needed—!

"If you're— I'm sorry, nurse? Nurse?!"

In the end, I didn't join the Wards. Dean Stansfield did.

There were mornings when I'd wake up, and nothing felt real. When I looked in the mirror, Dean Stansfield looked back. When I looked in my closet and drawers, I found Dean Stansfield's clothes. When I went to the abandoned ferry dock in Downtown, I never found Gin or Hana. When I went to my parents' parties, everyone knew Dean. When I unmasked to my teammates, they met Dean. When I had therapy, we talked about Dean's week, Dean's dreams and fears.

And my parents, they loved Dean. They were more successful than ever with Dean's help. Mandatory family bonding time, part of the agreement their lawyer struck with the PRT. And Dean's parents loved bonding with him when they were at the negotiating table. Not with him, of course, that might have made the PRT bring down the hammer of NEPEA-5. But he could see auras just fine through walls, and if he happened to talk about the pressure points and weaknesses when there was microphone nearby and broadcasting directly into their hidden earpieces… Well, that was just the best way to bond with them.

And Therese? She was no one. A fiction made up as a coping mechanism, Dean's therapist told him. Understandable for a young boy under so much pressure to succeed.

There were mornings when I'd wake up, and nothing felt real.

"What? I'm hungry."

But June, she taught me to dream again.

"Good. You've arrived." Armsmaster started towards Faultline and Meteor, and I dutifully followed while puzzling over the conundrum in front of me.

Of course, I hadn't known her name was June at the time. Meteor, she called herself. A new cape in the city who had made some waves with the local gangs before joining Faultline's mercenary outfit. A maybe-Tinker, definitely-Shaker I had been brought along to help assess. A girl whose voice and body seemed… off from the footage I'd found of her in my preliminary research, different in ways that didn't quite fit the transition from a recording to the real deal.

A girl whose aura was utterly mesmerizing.

"As promised."

If I had been asked to summarize Meteor's feelings in that moment, 'unfettered elation' would have been the best response I could muster.

"Indeed. Let's keep this short. The boots, if you would?"

Every move she made, everywhere she looked, her aura radiated unadulterated joy, the lovely pastel pink dominant in a way I so rarely saw, the depth of her aura boggling to behold. She was feeling everything so intensely, her aura so saturated, that I wasn't sure if I had ever met someone feeling so much at once.

Meteor whined, need and affront welling up in her, not even remotely dissuaded by Faultline's, "Meteor," in rebuke.

This was her boss, her source of income. She was a new cape, likely in dire straits if the petty robbery we'd tied to her was any indication. She needed this woman's support right then. And she stood up to her as easy as breathing.

"But I'm hungry!" And she was. She was… intensely hungry, the need I'd never seen anything like it.

Before I knew it, I was feigning a chuckle, a half-baked excuse tumbling out of me. "I must confess I'm interested in some food as well."

Armsmaster paused. Was he consulting his lie detector? God, why had I said anything? I was a bit peckish… Hopefully it was enough.

My heart skipped a beat before he grunted, "Faultline?"

"I was planning to let Meteor get food while we were here anyway," she began, her irritation softened by the fondness bleeding through it, "but I suppose we could join you."

Disaster averted, my attention moved back to Meteor and dissecting her enchanting aura as she began to order her food. I'd seen the shade of her joy, but never so much all at once. Feminine pride. Why? Why was she feeling it so strongly? It made no sense! I'd almost exclusively seen that shade at clothing stores, the few school dances Victoria had dragged me to, flirting in the halls—times when girls leaned into their femininity. Meteor's costume had a skirt, but it hardly exuded femininity, so why…?

"That covers it, yeah? I'll take my change in coins."

Having missed most of her order, I was shocked to notice the $18.03 on the register's screen. "Wow. That's… a surprising amount of food for a girl your size."

Worry. Gratitude. Mild deceit. And beneath and over and through it all, that feminine pride surged.

"Well I was dieting until recently, but my doctor told me, um—" Oh. Oh. "—I was overdoing it and needed to stop for now."

Everything clicked into place. Her suddenly long hair. Her seemingly different proportions.

"I… see."

And Amy Dallon's complete one-eighty.

"Do you think…?" I started to ask, the words escaping me before I could stop them. Too late. Too late to take the words back. Too late to stop me from dreaming again.

"Think what?" Meteor asked, a gentle confusion rippling over her overwhelming pride in how far she'd come.

"Do you think she could do me too?" "No, never mind. I'm sure your doctor can handle it."

Meteor was a terrible liar. "Not interested, sorry. Trade secret."

She was irreverent. "And I am obligated to not give you the finger."

She was outrageous. "She's saying I'm a crude bitch who speaks what's on her mind."

She was a messy eater. "Hughly scheet, dhish eesh gooooo!"

She was a back-talker. "Whaaa? But take-homesies!"

But one thing she was most definitely not was an abomination.

"It was nice meeting you or whatever!"

I think I successfully masked my laugh with a cough.

It was nice meeting you too.

And if she wasn't… then maybe I wasn't either.

"Please tell me you're joking."

She wasn't.

"I wish I was," Hannah said with a grimace, her aura a complicated swirl of sympathy, vicarious anger, and a myriad more colors competing for dominance. It was a cold comfort that she was handling this instead of Colin.

My hands trembled as I pulled the paperwork closer, colored tabs and obnoxiously bright yellow 'sign here' arrows jutting out of it. Years of experience at my parents' negotiating table had my eyes instinctively processing the tidy table of contents at a glance. Dossiers for potential relocation cities. Rebranding ideas from marketing. Application for a GED. The forms for a legal name change order.

"It's out of my hands." I didn't need my power to hear how much she hated to admit that. "They've… at least given you a few cities to choose from. New York is on the table—learning from Legend could be a game changer for you."

I had already changed my name legally. Missy had given me such a big smile—and meant it!—when I told her it was the best Christmas present I'd ever gotten.

"They're just— just rumors." I knew it wouldn't make a difference. But I couldn't stop the words or the tears from coming. "I can— I could take a few months off, just rebrand, not— not—"

Not change my name.

"Therese—" Her aura shifted, shame and sympathy mixing with her resignation as I failed to completely suppress an involuntary sob. She'd realized too late that she had stepped onto a land mine, but she at least had the decency to nudge the tissues closer without otherwise drawing attention to my cracking hold on my emotions. "I'm so sorry, but it isn't. The PHO moderators have been doing their best to keep up, but you know how the internet is. Reporters have caught wind of it and are pressing for comment."

I hiccuped and pulled away from the paperwork. I couldn't meet Hannah's eyes. She'd left unsaid my parents' response. I hadn't heard from them since my eighteenth birthday just three days ago, but their company's press conference that same day had made their position quite clear. "Clarification in light of our child coming of age," their spokesperson had called it. I called it airing our dirty laundry in public, using the truth about our strained, non-existent relationship to obfuscate the lie that I hadn't had a future in their company for years.

I abruptly shot to my feet, practically tripping over my chair as I all but fled. Hannah didn't follow. That was good. I didn't want her to see me like this.

I stumbled down the hall, nearly swearing when I realized that meeting with Hannah in the Ward's wing meant I hadn't brought my helmet, a mask, anything that could hide I was crying. I started hurrying down the hall, rubbing furiously at my eyes in a vain attempt to scrub away the evidence. I passed the gym, the overnight dorm in sight. I just needed to get to my room before—

Light hunger and mild boredom came into view ahead as Missy emerged from the kitchen with a plate of snacks. Shit! I whirled around, but I'd seen the surprise and worry overwhelm her boredom.

"Tee?" I ducked into the gym, a last futile effort. No such luck. I felt the air behind me shift as she used her power to shorten the space between us down to a single step. She caught the door, following me in. "Tee, what's wrong?"

"Nothing!" I forced myself to say as I started towards the punching bags at the back of the room. The wall was floor to ceiling glass panes behind them, the city outside glittering in the setting sun. "Thought I'd get in an evening workout. Missed the door for the gym."

I didn't need my power to know she didn't believe that one bit. Her tone said it all, clear as day. "You're wearing jeans and a blouse."

"I-Impromptu." I would never—never—regret starting HRT, but I could have really done without the mood swings right then. I forced a laugh out as I reached the bags. I sounded like a balloon losing air. "Never know when Empire might try and jump me!"

Fuck, what the fuck was I saying?

She pulled the door closed, and I heard the lock turn. "C'mon, don't— I thought we were…"

"Dammit, Missy, I just—" Everything was out of control, my life, my breathing—dammit! I started punching one of the hanging bags, my half-ass excuse abruptly becoming real. "I just—" punch "This isn't—" punch "I just need—!"

DAMMIT! I snapped out another punch, hitting the bag as hard as I could. A blast the size of my fist gave it enough kick to smack into the ceiling with a plasticky thwack. I twisted on my heel, shifting out of the way of the bag's downward arc and rounding on my wide-eyed teammate.

"My parents have all but disowned me! I knew they didn't love me—had never loved me—but I thought that maybe they could at least love what I could do for them! Piggot wanted me transferred to another city when I came out, did you know that? Everyone wanted me to transfer, get me out of this hellhole, nazi-infested city, make a clean break, be a different hero. I told them no so I could stay, no so I could try and salvage something with my parents. And look what that got me!"

I only half noticed I had started pacing, the repetitious back and forth draining my steam. But I couldn't stop. Not yet. "I used my power for them, figured out how to pressure other companies into better deals! You know what that means, right? That's illegal! It was i-illegal, and I—I don't even know how many times I did it. I'm a c-c-criminal. I l-l-let t-them use me, and— and— and people somehow know I'm Gallant, and now I— I have to— to change—"

"Fuck them."

I started, shocked out of my devolving ramble. "W-What?"

"Fuck. Them." Missy jabbed a finger out the window in vaguely the direction of my parents' headquarters. "They don't get to tell you what to do!"

"It's not them though! It's—" Actually, maybe my parents were the source of the leak? Perhaps they had begun to fear the fallout if I revealed what I'd done and had preemptively triggered it while they could control the outcome better? That wasn't the point though. "—Piggot and Image, they're putting their foot down. Someone keeps leaking my identity. They want me to change cities a-and my name."

God bless her, she barely hesitated. "I repeat: Fuck. Them."

The image of Missy marching into the Image department downstairs and telling them all to fuck off left me giggling more than a little hysterically. "Missy?"

"They can force you to move—that's theirs. But your name—either of them!—that's yours. Yours, got it?"

All momentum lost, my resolve crumbled. I flopped down against the glass pane, the sleek surface cool against my flushed neck as I finally let myself cry. As it turned out, crying wasn't quite as bad with a friend.

It helped that she had a plate full of thin mints.

"I might have stolen these from Dennis," she admitted in a dramatically hushed, conspiratorial tone. "He bought two dozen boxes! Two dozen! He's not gonna miss one."

Helping my parents violate NEPEA-5 was decidedly not on the same level as pilfering Girl Scout cookies. Missy had to know that. She also had to know that with my identity doomed to becoming public, that 'Therese Stansfield' couldn't just move to a new city without people connecting me to whatever new hero identity the PRT foisted on me. I'd be dooming myself to the whole cycle repeating itself.

I gamely tried to meet her halfway, though my warbly voice easily undercut my weak, attempted humor. "As a hardened criminal myself, your secret is safe with me."

I popped the last of my cookie into my mouth then froze. Wait.

"Excellent." She passed me another, missing that I was suddenly a million miles elsewhere, and bopped her own against mine in a faux toast. "Then we have a pact, fellow ne'er-do-well."

June. What if… What if I joined Faultline's crew? I'd mostly used ball-shaped blasts as Gallant, but I could change that easily, and my emotion-sensing wasn't public knowledge at all. The PRT would put two and two together, but the general public? That was a lot less likely, especially if I leaned hard into a very different cape persona. Could I do that though? Not 'would they let me,' but could I do that? Loosen my morals, use my powers for profit? I had debated it when I triggered…

Rationally, I knew that pondering whether to give up being a hero to become a mercenary wasn't why the Endbringer alarms went off. That didn't stop me from feeling like it had. It didn't stop my guilt.

And it didn't stop me from seriously considering leaving.

I thought I had made the right choices.

I can't stop this cape alone, I had thought as I went to Meteor for help stopping Loki, ignoring every sign something was dreadfully wrong with her.

She can help them after, I had thought as I convinced her to help me first instead of her teammates, dooming Faultline to bleed out.

We need to end this now, I had thought as I ignored that she was regenerating after crippling injuries, a power she hadn't had before.

These people need immediate medical attention, I had thought as I let her fly off after, unknowingly sending her off to find Faultline on the verge of death.

This needs to end, and she needs to know she's in control, I had thought as I set her on the path to making Nothung flee, to letting her fall right into Amy's arms.

She needs the truth, and Victoria needs it too, I had thought as I argued Meteor's mother down from murdering Amy on the spot, letting her daughter hear exactly what I thought she needed to hear.

I thought I had made the right choices. Made them with good intentions.

But good intentions didn't stop the consequences. Didn't stop the sound of Amy's scream from ringing in my ear or the image of June's horrified face from haunting me as the rest of the Wards left to go home, as I paced the hall outside her cell, as I desperately tried to remember what parahuman law attorneys I knew.

Didn't mean I hadn't failed.

I was falling, buried beneath my failures, trapped in a grave of shadows with the dull embers of everything I'd done, every one of my hopes and dreams. It was all so little, in the end. And at what cost? I couldn't find my way in the dark, couldn't walk that path again even if trusted myself to. I gave up and was glad for it, and in my acceptance, they found me. Lights more numerous than I could count, than I could ever have imagined. I remembered. Remembered they had trusted me, remembered the child they had entrusted to me, who had watched and learned and grown.

"—llant?" I groaned, heavy. Where…? "Gallant, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I lied, trying to shake off whatever had come over me.

"You've been here for hours, kid." It took me a moment to place the aura as Cache, one of the Protectorate here. We'd only met briefly… before…

His aura was behind me.

He started ferrying me forward to where the elevators were down the fall. "C'mon, you need sleep. You've been up for, what, a day and a half?"

"I…" Beside me now. I wasn't looking at him. I wasn't looking at any of the auras I felt all around us. What? "But—"

"No 'buts.' And don't get back up until you've had some proper sleep, or I'll get Standstill to make you stay in one place until you do."

Behind us, June's shifting aura got further and further away.

To say it was unnerving, being mere steps away from the crossfire of an argument between so many dangerous people, did not do my feelings justice. Legend, a member of the Triumvirate with an absurd number of incredible powers at his disposal. Labyrinth, a cape so strong in the right conditions that the PRT had designated her a Shaker 12. Heavensword, a woman whose ruthlessness more than made up for any deficit between her own considerable strength and the two titans to whom she stood opposed.

And Meteor. June. My friend who could now obliterate a city if she wanted.

I shouldn't have been there. I should have fled the moment I had led the disguised Heavensword to her daughter. I should have trusted Labyrinth to convince her friend—her girlfriend, if perhaps no longer—to stop wallowing. I shouldn't have been there. I shouldn't have been allowed to speak, to make more choices, more mistakes.

But my friend needed help. "You're afraid."

June's gaze slowly drifted to me. Her aura was difficult to decipher, even after I'd changed, but I didn't need my powers to understand the haze of detachment settling over her slackening features.

"Of the harm you can do." She needed help, and for all their power, these three didn't understand what she was feeling. They didn't understand what it was like to be so scared of hurting what you cherish that you're left paralyzed, so scared of yourself that you can't act. "Of not knowing what's you anymore."

But I did.

"It's too much for just you, and having powers doesn't make that any better. You don't believe in yourself."

I didn't believe in myself either.

Heavensword's frustration and anxiety swelled, her self-loathing worst of all. "This is not help—"

But June had. "But you're not doing this alone."

Even when I had told her I was what she feared. Even when she had left for space to process, there had been trust in her heart. Doubt, yes, and so much fear, but there had been trust, and it was still there.

I latched onto that. The determination burning in my heart, the need to stop standing still, to act.

I stepped forward, my power rearing up in me.

"Please forgive me."

I wrapped her in my arms and let go, my power flowing into her. Changed. Untested. I was going on pure instinct, on how my power felt like it would work. It could have been the worst mistake I ever made.

June stirred, the detachment washed away—replaced. And in its absence, my feelings remained, burrowing into place.

"Nothing permanent," I had told her at the park. Not anymore. God help me, not anymore.

Please forgive me. I started to pull away, shaking as I waited for her to realize what I'd done, to crush me like she had Amy. She grabbed my arms, and my heart leapt in my throat as she tugged me closer.

She hugged me. It was brief, so quick I almost didn't believe it had happened. And when she pulled back, there was a fire in her eyes. A fire I hadn't seen in months. Some of the weight on my shoulders bled away. Barely any, truth be told.

But it was enough. "Now let's go save your friends," I said, the words tremulous.

"Labs." June turned to Labyrinth's wolf projection, her hand reaching for the helmet under her mother's arms. Hope sparked in the woman's aura as she let it leave her grasp, metal and non-metal components alike warping and twisting into liquid metal. "Help with my costume, please?"

Even before she'd finished speaking, the PRT prisoner fatigues had begun to shift like the helmet, the loose, uncomfortable cloth shrinking around her body and settling into the form of her costume while the liquid metal flowed around different segments of both her and me. June—no, Meteor was in the air before her scarf had even finished wrapping around her face.

"Let's go."

The rusted iron gate blocking Labyrinth's stairway to the surface were thrown wide as Meteor flew us up. I slapped my hands over my cheeks, the wind whipping past us fast enough that I worried my temporary domino mask might get torn off. We were at the surface in seconds, thrown straight into the madness. The square surrounding the PRT headquarters was gone, replaced with an ancient maze of cracked stone walls standing easily several dozen feet high. At one of the nearby entrances to the structure, PRT agents and a hero I couldn't place at that distance were trying to take cover from several of the Teeth while holding them at bay with suppressing fire.

"I'll focus on the remaining capes." Meteor set me down, the metal around my limbs withdrawing. "You're not anchored, so Labs' traps can affect you. Stay out of the maze. Are you safe to provide support with armor?"

I let the somewhat dimming determination in my aura swell, the steely hue of it filling me up again. This wasn't the time or place to explain the changes to my powers, so I simply told her, "Got it. Go."

I saw a flash of steely trust in her aura before she shot off into the sky. I started running, not wasting a second. Up ahead, black lines began to appear in the air and enclose one of the Teeth, only for the bone adorned figure to leap out and pepper the cape's position with shots from an automatic rifle. Cache, if I remembered correctly; a cape best suited to ambushes, not a protracted fight from behind cover.

Let's even the odds. I was upon them a few seconds later, one of the Teeth turning to cover their rear at the sound of my sneakers striking pavement. I might have been able to survive the gunfire, but I didn't have nearly enough faith in my untested powers, much less when I was beginning to feel emotionally drained. Instead, I took the fear that spiked in me as they lifted their gun to fire, and I pushed.

They yelped and fired, which wasn't ideal, but the spray went wide, making my instinctive dodge unnecessary. By then the other member had realized a bigger threat was upon them, but it was too late. I smashed the first one's rifle aside with a backhand, sending it clattering to the pavement. Their stance broken, I then punched their sternum hard enough to send them flying back into their compatriot.

"Keep them down!" I heard one of the PRT officers call out, the sound of boots on pavement in my ear.

Couldn't give them my focus. The one who'd been bowled over had somehow managed to keep a hold on their rifle. I lashed out with a kick, but his grip on it was strong. The first burst of bullets grazed my shoulder, the rotation of my kick having twisted me out of the way. Dumb luck made the next burst miss altogether, tearing through where I would have been as I lost my footing from inexperience judging the strength and speed to expect from my emotions.

Shit! Still falling and about to be shot, I threw my aura forward, swiping desperately at the rifle. The glowing embodiment of my wavering determination pulled out of me, the life-sized self-image of pastel pink energy on the Teeth in a flash, mirroring my swipe and knocking aside the barrel just as the third burst erupted from it in a burst of sound and light.

Another bang made me flinch as I fell, but other than the strange sensation of falling onto pavement and only dully feeling it, no pain came. The man who had just been shooting at me, however, snarled in agony as he was roughly flipped over onto his face by the officer. Blood began to pool under his arm as his wrists were secured, so I moved my attention back to the first person. Just in time, it seemed, as they had been about to scramble out of the black lines forming around them. I pushed my fear into them, my heart still hammering from nearly being shot, the sudden shift in their emotions disorienting enough to let Cache's power finish snapping into place.

Gotta keep going. I pulled my aura back over me, letting it overlay my skin, and started climbing to my feet while Cache's aura jogged over from behind me.

"Are you injured?"

Upright if a little wobbly, I checked my shoulder and found that though my t-shirt was torn, the skin underneath was red but whole. Apparently the emotion had still been strong enough to tank the bullets. "I'm good, thanks."

"Good. We appreciate the assistance, but this is no place for a fresh cape." …what? Did he think I was…? "How did you get through the maze?"

I turned to properly acknowledge him. "I was already here…?"

The strangely tinged relief I had come to associate with comprehension threaded through his aura. "Hadn't realized we were meeting a potential recruit today, sorry. Look, you still have your visitor badge? Get to the front door and show it to the officers posted there, okay? Go!"

He didn't recognize me. I could only stare as he rushed off with most of the officers, one staying behind to guard the captive Teeth. How had he not recognized me? He'd helped me to bed my first night here, he knew me. Did my changed powers really throw people off that much without my costume?

I didn't get more time to think on the matter, as a portion of the maze wall nearby exploded, peppering me with shrapnel and knocking me to the ground.

Shit. I scrambled to get back on my feet, my arm screaming at me. I eyed it concern and saw that while the pastel hue of my determination was still there, but it had gotten too weak to protect me. Some of the shattered rock had torn a gash in my forearm.

I didn't have time to curse the fickle nature of my durability—one of the Teeth had stepped through the newly formed hole. While some members, like the Butcher or Heavensword, had more widely known appearances, most of their members wore similarly barbaric outfits, making it difficult to tell which members were parahumans. I didn't recognize the headdress of bones and fur, but with no one else following him, odds were he was the source of the explosion. The satchel slung around his shoulder—was he carrying explosives? Something to aid an explosive power?

"Ayy, last wall," the man remarked with a leer, his eyes alighting on me as I finally got back upright.

He reached into the satchel, a sneer on his face, and ice shot down my spine. I wouldn't be able to dodge, not from this close. I wouldn't be able to dodge, and I had no idea if my power could save me, if what I was feeling would be strong enough even if it theoretically could.

And that was fucking terrifying.

I grabbed hold of that terror and shot forward into a sprint, my legs protesting from the sudden movement. My skin glowed a sickly green, the dark undertones making me think of a corpse.

He threw something, and I slammed my eyes shut, teeth clenched.

Thunder filled my ears, hot air rushing past me. No pain.

My eyes shot open as I tore through the explosion. I might only have a second before the effect failed. I shut everything else out as best I could, focusing as intently as I could on the fear that uncertainty elicited, the fact this guy might be a cape and immune to explosions, might drop another explosion right on my feet.

Snarling, the man drew back his hand, wild-eyed. To punch me? To throw another bomb? I still wasn't close enough to—!

A blue laser streaked with white tore through his head, spraying blood and gore over the wall.

Moving too fast to stop, I made a stumbling jump over the body as it flopped to the ground sideways with the force of the impact. Rolling over my shoulder, I skidded to a halt on the pavement and nearly gagged at the sight as the last vestiges of the dead man's aura faded into nothingness, my breaths ragged.

Legend shot over, coming to a hover beside me. "Easy, easy. You're going to be okay."

"Y-You k-k-kill—!"

"I killed him, yes. As I feared he might have done, for a moment there." He heaved a sigh of relief. "Fortunately, your new powers were up to the task."

I shook my head, trying to get a hold of myself. Some of my curls poked me in the eye. "You… knew?"

"Glimpses," he replied. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the answer. One of the apparitions behind him turned to look into the maze, and his own gaze moved to mirror it a moment later, relief filling his aura if not his what little of his expression I could see beneath his ornate masquerade mask. "This is not the best situation for unpracticed powers, but that is fine. The fight is finishing up as we speak."

Relief started to push back at the anxiety left behind by my withering fear. "That quickly?"

"Her teammates had been doing quite well, truth be told." His grin turned wry. "I would not have let Heavensword go on quite so long otherwise. They subdued Reaver and Hemorrhagia quite early, and Meteor handled Vex before helping with Animos. They should have Spree and the stragglers momentarily."

And you got Heavensword. I carefully did not look at the corpse in the corner of my eye. ... and Spurt.

"There we are." Legend lifted up into the sky as Labyrinth's walls began to creak and groan as they sank back into the pavement they had sprung from. My heart shot up in my throat when the body I'd avoided directly looking at began to twist and change, my aura springing to the ready.

Flowers. Hundreds of flowers sprung from what had already halfway changed into a grassy mound, a short, stubby sapling sat atop it.

"Ah." I exhaled, the tension that had shot through me flowing out. Labyrinth's doing. "Thanks."

I hoped she heard.

Behind me, up in the sky, Legend shook hands with Meteor.

A/N: Good god damn, that chapter was long! Like I said at the top, this was originally intended to be half the length it is, but some of the scenes took on a life of their own. Namely the scene with Missy (who was originally not even in that scene!) and the first scene of Therese winding up to coming out.

The events in the past that scene outlines are based on true events that happened to me with my own parents (though I am on much better terms with them than Therese is with hers!). Ironically, I saw a comic today exploring the theme of parents being their kids' first bullies. It's an important message, and I'm glad we got to explore that here with Therese.

And so, Rust is finally—finally!—done. It's taken about a year longer than I anticipated with everything going on in my life, and I know we've lost some folks along the way. I want to thank each and every one of you so, so much for reading and for being patient as we make our way through this story I want to tell! I cherish you all, and I want you to know that how much I appreciate you.

There will be no chapters for the next two weeks. I usually take a break post-arc, and while I wish I didn't need it after making y'all wait so long for this arc to finish, these are the last weeks of my coding bootcamp, not to mention needing to finalize prep for Arc 8, Anneal. As always, you can reach out to me here or on Discord in the meantime. Take care, y'all!

Last edited:
Anneal 8.1
"You've got five minutes."

The door pulled shut behind me with a harsh clang that promptly fizzled out, the strange metal used to build the walls dampening the sound rather than echoing it. The probing fingers of my power could touch it, could feel it when the lock engaged, but it was slippery. Tinkertech? Tinkers made materials too, didn't they?

I tsked. Stupid. Why was I focusing on dumb shit like the walls?

[Rotlimb: Heh. I could think of a few reasons.]

I didn't bother responding. The guard had said I had five minutes, after all. I might be able to push for more time—things were very, very different than how they had been just a few hours ago—but I refused to waste what might be the last chance I got to see my mother.

"Hello, Meteor," she greeted me from where she sat on the edge of her cot.

[Delible: Elena…] The greeting brought me up short, my tongue tripping over what I'd been about to say. I managed a, "H-Hi?" in reply that prompted a round of laughter at my expense in the confines of my own head. An excellent start, unquestionably.

I swallowed down the bitter self-loathing and ignored the jeers in my head. Later. "Hi," I reiterated, no longer a question. "It's— I wanted to see you."

"That's sweet of you." She smiled. The expression and her relaxed posture gave one image, but her eyes another. There was a storm brewing in them, and I didn't just mean their color. It wasn't anger, that much I could tell, but I couldn't parse the emotion hiding in them beyond that.

There was a lot I could have asked her. Too much, really. There was the looming specter of our time limit, sure, but more than that, "How am I supposed to do this?"

"Meteor?" [Toro: Jesus fuck, is this shit eloquent or what?]

I cringed, Rotlimb's reedy laugh and Butcher's deep chuckles ringing in my not-ears. "I mean, this—this right now. How am I supposed to just talk to you after fifteen years of not knowing you? Except I do know you, just it's—"

I thankfully stopped short of admitting I had memories that weren't my own. I'd eat my hat—right after I bought one—if the PRT weren't listening in on this conversation. I absolutely did not want the scrutiny that admission would invite.

"I know what you mean. Finally finding you, it's like I've always known you." She knew what I meant, of course. She was protecting me again, as easy as breathing. Unbidden, Klaus' memory of that first night rose to surface of my thoughts, of when she called, inconsolable after finding their— our apartment had been raided. [Klaus: 'Inconsolable' … that's one way to put it.]

I had intended to take things in a different direction, but with that fresh on my mind, I found myself saying instead, "I'll find her."

She stilled. "Ah. Gregor spoke with you?" [Alchemist: The walls have ears, do not forget.]

Gregor? No, no time. "I don't know what happened, but I'll figure it out, okay? I'll ask Faultline…" The anger from before was back, a fire in my chest, flames licking at my throat. Fuck. How could I have forgotten for even a fucking second that she was dead?

[Belial: Being hard on yourself… Well, it's understandable, Juniper.] "Meteor, I've been where you are." [You weren't ready for the world to know you're one of us, so you didn't use your full power.] "It's easy to blame yourself, to listen to the devil on your shoulder." [And now you are faced with that most dangerous of questions: 'What if?'] "Do not let it consume you like I did…" ['What if' you hadn't held back? Could you have saved her?]

[Klaus: Goddammit, Belial, would you stop it?] [Delible: Quiet! Both of you!] I wanted to laugh. Or cry. [Belial: Stop? Ah. How little you think of me.] Maybe both. [Delible: Stop!]

The lock slid open, and the guard swept back in as the uneasy truce in my head fell apart, the bickering of the chorus overwhelming all space for thought. One voice stood out from the rest, grabbing my attention not because it was the loudest or the nastiest but by just how broken it was. [Delible: Wait, no—! Elena!]

And maybe that made it easier. Having no room to talk myself out of it, and having solidarity in my mind of madness.

"Use my name," I told her.

A moment of silence swept over the chorus, something unspoken compelling them. A smile let up Elena's face as the guard ushered me out with a barely heard command, unimportant in the face of that joy. I didn't push back or ask for more time as I whisked away into the hall, too stunned by my own temerity. The door slammed shut, and the lock slid back into place, but my mother's smile didn't leave me.

I barely noticed as I was led back through the security checkpoint to where Therese was waiting just down the hall from the elevator. She looked terribly out of place in her domino mask and casual clothes, the toe of her converse bouncing on the ground as she waited for my return with poorly concealed anxiety.

"Are you okay?" The words nearly tripping over each other on the way out of her mouth.

Fourteen people were arguing in my head, tearing one another and me apart, with only the ever hiding Ror's voice absent from the chaos. I was most certainly not okay. She knew that, could see that. She knew that I knew she could see that. But she'd asked anyway. For a moment, I thought her words empty, a blind grasp for something to say in the face of someone in pain.

"You really take care of those, huh? … Your shoes," I added, when she blinked at my non-sequitur.

I don't know why I latched onto that. Something to ground me, maybe, the rhythmic tap tap tapping a counterpoint to the pennies spinning on the floor of what had been my own cell, only one separated from where my mother waited for the powers of bureaucracy to decide her fate.

I coughed, suddenly overcome with self-consciousness, but pressed on anyway, sheer stubbornness compelling me to finish the thought. "Soles look like they're right off the shelf. Did you just clean—?"

"Take it upstairs," the guard cut in, his tone nearly as lifeless as his bored expression. He had just reached the elevator, punctuating his statement with a jab at its button.

"Of course." Therese pushed off the wall, her words short and perfunctory. She stepped towards him and the coming elevator, posture closed in a way I couldn't place. "Sorry."

"Make me."

Silence. Silence in the hall, silence in my head. I had said those words, I realized. No, not 'said'—I had growled, the two syllables raked over gravel and injected with more venom than I had known I possessed. My teeth were bared behind my mask, silently daring the guard, egging him to respond. Behind me, cylinders, armrests, and handles jerked—the pair of guards in the checkpoint swiveling around to face the brewing confrontation. The hand of the guard at the elevator twitched, an aborted move for the gun at his hip.

Genuine restraint? Or recognition of futility? [Belial: You are untouchable.] "I've stopped a sniper bullet I didn't even see coming." [You are unassailable.] "I could liquefy that pistol, leave you to drown with it sloshing around in your lungs." [He lives because you are merciful.]

"Meteor!"

"I could bring this whole goddamn building down, bury you under a hundred thousand ton gravestone!" [Belial: He should be bowing before you.] "With a flick of my wrist, I could—!"

Water over the fire, I passed into the eye of a storm I barely recognized I was in. Therese's hand was on my forearm, gentle and glowing, the rest of her between the guard and me. I blinked down at it, my breathing as heavy and veins pulsing despite enforced… It wasn't—I wasn't—calm. I was… worried? No, the emotion was more complicated than that. I shook my head, the chorus' bleating discernible again.

[Butcher: That's more like it.] [Edict: Whoa, kid, what are you doing?] [Diamondback: What is the point of this?] [Klaus: This is a can of worms you don't want to open!] [Rotlimb: Aaay, now we're talking!] [Caterpillar: 'A flick of your wrist.' If you wish to be incognito…] [Toro: Always a pleasure watching you work, Two.] [Quarrel: Do you see now, Sixteen?] [DZ: Do they have a panic button? They probably have a panic button…] [Alchemist: Oh dear, oh dear.] [Footloose: Daaamn, girl, that was fucking hot!]

"What did you say?" I didn't need Deimos' dry, stuttering laughter to notice the fear the guard was trying to hide under his bravado.

Tripped though I'd been, momentum still carried me forward. I didn't glare, but I did eye him again, though this time with quiet restraint. "Be grateful my family and I were here to save you from the sword at your neck."

The elevator pinged its arrival, the jaunty bloop cutting the remaining tension and leaving it to bleed out over the floor as the doors opened to reveal Legend within. The fall of his heavy boots muffled as he stepped out to stand next to the guard, leaving his apparitions behind. Strobe, the only one I recognized, raised his arm to hold the door open. The humanity of the gesture was almost enough to offset the implicit threat of what that raised arm could do.

"I trust you had a good conversation?" Legend blithely asked. He looked over the situation, his masquerade mask turning from one side to the other, from the curly, shining sun beams jutting out to caress his right temple to the smoothly curving arc of the moon hanging down over his left cheek. "Need more time, maybe?"

The last of the friction flowed out of me, and I eased into the calm Therese had pushed into me. I might have stopped spinning the pennies in my old cell. But no—unthinkable. "Yes."

"Sir—" the guard began, cut off by Legend lifting his hand in the universal gesture of 'stop.'

"To both? Yes, to both," Legend remarked, asking then answering his own question. "And how much more time would you require?"

Earlier that evening, after the battle with the Teeth, I had shaken this man's hand. The hero I thought I would never meet, the only one I respected— I shot a glance at Therese. She was still looking at me. Her domino mask couldn't quite hide her expression, though it did make it harder? Relief and concern?

I shook my head, returning my attention to Legend and his unanswered question. "More than you could give."

Delible made a noise of discontent at that but didn't speak up. Perhaps because I was right. Perhaps because I felt the same way.

"Perhaps future visits could be arranged," Legend mused aloud. He turned to the guard and dismissed him with a gesture. A thrill crawled up my spine, leaving icy trails in its wake as I watched the man struggle to comport himself as he stiffly marched past us to his compatriots in the checkpoint. "Shall we?"

Therese and I followed him into the elevator. I may have been watching Strobe's hand keenly until it retreated upon our entry, the elevator door sliding closed. Legend pressed one of the buttons with an explanation of, "Your teammates are waiting for you." [Diamondback: Wise, keeping an eye on that one. I've seen videos of those lasers. Very impressive.]

He didn't press any other buttons. I flicked my eyes up to meet his, deep wells nestled within ornate finery. "Sorry to drag you away from your work." [Butcher: Don't apologize. You are above that.]

[Alchemist: We have been over this, Butcher. There is no shame in being apologetic in the right circumstances.] Legend dipped his head, his expression neutral. "Accepted. And I meant what I said before. I cannot make guarantees, but send word if you wish to see your mother again and can maintain your composure." [Butcher: Fuck off, Eight.]

Ah. I'd figured as much. "I'm fine." [Footloose: Heh. Y'know what 'fine' means, Sixteen?]

"Now," he acknowledged. His eyes shifted to Therese, who was doing a remarkable job of looking constipated. "With help." [Footloose: Fuckable, insatiable, naughty, and exotic!]

"… now," I agreed with a wince, fighting down a sigh and the urge to demand silence from the chorus, as they degenerated into more bickering over Footloose's bastardization and taunts of my responses to Legend.

But Legend's eyes had not moved from Therese. Her apparent constipation grew worse, and I realized she was desperately fighting down the urge to squirm under the intensity of his gaze. "Have you made a decision, Gallant?"

Decision? Whatever Legend was referring to, the mere mention of it left Therese to come undone at the seams. Her face took on an unhealthy pale, the discomfort on her face twisting into despondency. Her eyes flicked to me and away so quickly I might have convinced myself I'd imagined it, except she couldn't settle on where to look. Trapped in an elevator with two people she apparently couldn't—wouldn't?—bring herself to face directly, she looked everywhere except us, but she couldn't keep her focus on any one place for longer than a few seconds at a time.

"I, I— I had—" Again, I swore she looked at me, but with her gaze as fidgety as it was, I just as easily could have imagined it. "—but things are…"

"Complicated, I should imagine." Something was off. Instinct inherited from the chorus had me furtively searching the elevator for the source while maintaining my outward composure.

"Thank you for your patience—"

There, the cables! "The elevator," I cut in, barely realizing I had spoken over Therese. How had I not realized it wasn't… moving…?

Our surroundings changed. Whether the reveal was conscious or a side effect of my drawing attention to the effect on the elevator, I couldn't tell. The walls, the doors, the floor, our clothes, us—we were all blue. Shades ranging from rich velvet to bordering on black. One of Legend's apparitions, their bodies of black shadow cast in blues of deepest midnight, turned to look at me. There were no eyes, but I knew it was looking at me because I felt it.

"What is this?!" Therese hissed, stepping towards me and gripping my arm tightly enough I might have winced if it weren't for my inherited powers. "Legend?!"

"Changing one's name is difficult in any circumstance," Legend replied, entirely unperturbed by the blue effect. "much less now."

"Legend," I demanded, and if I hadn't been more alarmed by his obvious power use, I might have spared a thought that I was growling again. "Explain."

"She called herself 'Blueshift,'" he acquiesced, his words taking on an almost nostalgic note. "A scientist, you see. A simple power but an effective one. Up to an hour compressed into the previous second past, nearly unnoticeable by most. But then, you are no longer 'most,' Meteor."

Was he implying that he knew? The thought sent a shiver down my spine, and I insisted, "The cables should be moving if the elevator is."

He dipped his head. "Your mastery of your power is impressive. You truly belong among the Triumvirate."

… what?

"You have potential, Meteor. You could be a very good person. Or a very bad person."

What. The. Fuck?

"I would feel better knowing you are better equipped to be the former, and Gallant here seems quite up to the task of being the angel on your shoulder. All the better, then, that she is in desperate need of assistance you can provide."

I was confused. I was in the Triumvirate? Did Legend know I had inherited the Butcher powers? Gallant needed help? My help? I was very, very confused.

"And so I apologize for overstepping—" The hues of the blue world around us began to change, at first slowly but quickly accelerating rapidly back to normalcy, leaving the cables moving again and the chorus once more chattering in my head. Maybe I would have enjoyed their absence more if I had noticed it sooner; as it was, I only just resisted the urge to groan. "But might I insist the two of you discuss a mutually beneficial arrangement over some night breakfast? The cafeteria is open, and the pancakes are sinfully good. My treat."

And with that enigmatic statement left to hang, the apparition who had stared at me before—'Blueshift,' apparently—swiped her hand, and Legend vanished. The rumble of a stomach cut through the silence that followed, prompting Therese to admit with a wince, "Eating… does sound good."

[Footloose: Wait, did you just negotiate eating out Knight Girl? Sixteen, you dog!] That time, I couldn't stop the groan. "Foo— uh, invasive thought, sorry," I told her when she blinked in confusion. "… and yeah.

"Yeah, food sounds good right now."

And we're back! New year, new arc—that's how it works, right? I'll do my best to make sure the next one doesn't take forever.

Jokes aside, I'm finally gainfully employed in my new field (hooray!), and my schedule is relatively stable (also hooray!), so I should hopefully be able to keep a steadier schedule. I dunno if I'll be able to get back to a chapter-a-week schedule right now; I'm working two jobs, one of which requires 45min drive each way to get to, meaning my time is a bit spare these days. So for now, my goal is a chapter every other week, and while I'm not going to bloat chapters beyond what they need to be, I fully expect we won't be seeing any super short chapters like we did in Rust.

As always, chapters go up first for folks on my Discord. There's also information there about supporting me financially, which would help get me to the point I don't need a second job and have more time to write.

Back