Let's Play RPGs I Missed! [Now Playing: Trails in the Sky]

Wild Arms (Part 1) - Rudy's Introduction, Berry Cave
Hey there!

This thread surely wasn't inspired whatsoever by that other one by Omicron, chronicling all of Final Fantasy - that would be silly. I'll eventually get back to my LOTRO playthrough (I took a hiatus on that for a while) but there's plenty of other games of a less massively multiplayer nature that I'm interested in, and writing out what I'm doing tends to help me in experiencing it more fully than just hitting buttons to make things go by faster... so having a thread to put my LP stuff seemed useful. For reasons that have nothing to do with getting a new rig which permits me to play a broader range of games than before, including ones on old consoles (through means best left unmentioned), I've been catching up on games I missed. And RPGs were always my favorites.

For the most part, I'll probably focus more on the story, setting, and lore than the mechanical specifics - I've been known to cheat my way past difficult bosses in the past because I'm far less interested in tedium and proving my mettle than just having fun. I'll note down if I actually needed to do that, though, heh.

Instead of stepping on Omicron's toes, I wanna focus in on some games that I played very little of when they came out, or only saw advertised but never tried. Games like those card-based RPGs on the GameCube, Baten Kaitos, or Skies of Arcadia, or the Shadow Hearts series, or that space RPG... Rogue Galaxy? Anyway, I'm sure there's dozens of others I'm forgetting here - I've only played like one Tales game, for example. I'm starting here with Wild Arms, mostly because I remember the box art, and it had a Western theme going on, which seemed neat. It got no less than four sequels and some spinoffs, so there must be something there worth looking into...

LP 1: Wild Arms
LP 2:
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Wild Arms was made by the Japanese company Media.Vision which was also responsible for the Chaos Rings and Valkyria Chronicles series, several portable entries in the Shining series, and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. Not bad! It was originally released in Japan in 1996 for the original PlayStation, and was later localized and released in North America in 1997 and Europe in 1998. The game is 2D for its normal gameplay, but the combat takes place in three dimensions - though those graphics are rudimentary. Wild Arms' release was overshadowed by hype for the upcoming Final Fantasy VII, but it was still a critical and commercial success, so it got a slew of sequels on the PSX and PS2 over the next decade, including an enhanced remake of the original. I'll be playing the OG here, since it's generally better-regarded and the remake apparently retconned in elements of its sequels.

Prologue - The Fall of Arctica

Before even pressing Start, there's a scene which plays if you just stick around on the title screen for a little while - it's sometimes referred to as a 'hidden scene' if you look it up online. It takes place in a spooky castle in an icy wasteland, with glittering snowflakes descending from above. Several armed men make their way down the castle's passages surrounding a figure in white robes, the brother of a king who has recently died and thus the new monarch. His protectors are revealed to be a trio of Fenril knights sworn to protect him, with the dark-haired guard as their leader, a Chief Coldbird. ('Fenril' here is a translator's mangled take on 'Fenrir', the great wolf from Norse mythology. Expect many language foibles.)

After getting into an altercation with some minor demons on an oddly anachronistic elevator, the group makes its way over towards a so-called 'cocoon', which is believed to be the target of the demonic invasion currently in progress. The demons struck under the cover of a snowstorm, and things are going badly for the local population. Soon the monarch's retinue encounters a wounded red-haired lady who is identified as the 'Sword Princess' Elmina. She tends to the wounds of one of the blond knights, Garrett, whom she's evidently familiar with. Suddenly an axe swings in from nowhere and bisects the nameless third knight in one blow, catching everyone by surprise.

A strange creature then coalesces next to the group - it's difficult to describe, but it is like a large dog-like blob with a golden crown for a face and a few limbs sticking out from under its voluminous white cloak. This is Alhazad, of the fabled demon race of legend, and he is here to demand the thing the inhabitants here call a 'cocoon!'

The dead king's brother is all too happy to immediately give up the treasure in exchange for his life, prostrating himself instantly, much to the horror of his loyal knights. Alhazad vaporizes the sniveling man on the spot, and declares that all he can give in return for the cocoon is a painless death! Coldbird instructs Garrett and Elmina to escape from Arctica Castle so they can let everyone in the world of Filgaia know what has happened here, while he guards the retreat. The two quickly scamper off.

During their escape down a long, long corridor, the pair take a brief moment to catch their breath. Elmina tends to Garrett's wounds, then declares from out of nowhere that Garrett is a bigger coward than she thought. Garrett is obviously taken aback by this, but she goes on to explain that she believes he has no courage - because he's probably already thinking of a way to defeat the demons even now, right? All he'd be doing is throwing his life away! Is that courage? It's hard to admit, but they won't be able to defeat the demons right now, and fighting an unwinnable battle isn't courageous at all in her opinion. Garrett wonders what would be the courageous thing to do, but she doesn't answer him.

The pair run off once more, but Elmina lags behind due to a leg wound. They reach the gate leading to the frigid outside and Garrett runs straight through, but Elmina stops and closes the portcullis while she's still inside, locking him out. Garrett returns to the closed gate and demands to know what the girl is doing, but she explains that she definitely won't make it out due to the severity of her wounds. Garrett reminds her that she just told him that throwing your life away isn't courageous, but Elmina replies that while it's funny for her to say this as the Sword Princess, she's learned that you gain nothing from war. But she now fights to protect something important to her - and while she won't gain anything from this sacrifice, she won't lose anything either! Protecting something important is not a waste of your life!

Garrett begs to be let back in, repeatedly demanding that Elmina should open the door so he can help her fight against the demons, but she insists that Garrett must make it to the outside world of Filgaia to warn them of what's happening here. Also, he really shouldn't worry - she has no intention of dying here. She is the Sword Princess, after all! She then tells him that the ribbon she wrapped around his arm while tending to his wounds was very expensive, and she can't die until she gets that back! Talk about your classic cliché lines, huh?

Alhazad shows up once more, relishing in the fact that there are only two humans left alive in this castle. Elmina brandishes her sword and sets herself in between the demon and Garrett, yelling at her friend that he must have courage, now - he must deliver the Fenril spirit to their friends! He should run! He can overcome anything! Garrett tearfully promises to return her ribbon to her, then takes off. Alhazad then drives Elmina into a corner and giggles to himself about how noble and beautiful she is, and how his body is trembling with joy… (Ew.) Outside we see Garrett run away from the castle until he falls down into the snow and the screen fades to white.

There's one last glimpse of the hall where Alhazad first appeared, and this time the demon is present alongside another of his kind, one who is shaped like a super-sized traditional knight with a purple cloak. The camera pans up from where that earlier scene took place to reveal that they were standing right next to a strange object - a cocoon - attached to the walls by wires or webs, a strange pulsating blob of white and purple matter resembling a huge egg sac…

The inset shows the two demons (or demon and big-ass knight) watching.

So... the game doesn't take long to reveal two things: firstly, that its localization is spotty (as was customary at the time, even for major titles) and that the themes are going to be hammered into our skull with all the subtlety of a brick to the face. Mr. Garrett over here is set up with the theme of 'courage', it appears, given that Elmina denounces his apparent inclination towards a suicidal charge of vengeance and basically pushes him out the door to get stronger and find his reason for fighting. More generally, I think we can assume this introduction introduces some of our major villains - Alhazad is a creepy inhuman creature, but a humanoid figure is shown towards the end, so I assume that the demons of this setting are more varied in appearance...

With that bit of mystery seeded, let's get into the actual game. There's immediately a choice to make - character selection! In a move that may well have been adapted from Final Fantasy VI, you can pick whichever one of the three starting scenarios you want to play and in what order, though you'll want to do them all before getting too much further in the game, just to get the party rolling. This game doesn't have a huge cast, so I won't be switching out my party - three main party members is what you're going to get, at least in this first entry of the series. These three people are a wandering blue-haired anime youth, a roguish treasure hunter with a furry pet, and a mysterious girl from an abbey with a wild streak. Luke, Han, and Leia archetypes, in other words. Time to saddle up!

Introduction - Rudy

I chose the Classic JRPG Hero™ route first, of course - for one, it's the one that's auto-selected. A text crawl appears over a rustic brown-hued Wild West town, setting the scene - and the depressing reality of this setting. The narrator announces that life is gradually fading from the land. Slowly but surely the destruction of Filgaia continues, as a devastated environment filled with ferocious monsters plagues the people who desperately cling to their suffering world. Huh, this was contemporary with Final Fantasy VII, right? Two dying worlds for the price of one? Anyway, those who dare to venture out are called [Dream Chasers], and there is a boy in the village of Surf - it's hard to believe - who has the potential to become such a Dream Chaser. What does he seek?

The Luke vibes are heavy on the ground as we open up with a literal farmboy hero who just finished stacking barrels. He was hired at the recommendation of Mayor Pifer. I'll stick with his default name: this is Rudy. The farmer pays me for my hard work with a healing berry, then tells me to head over to the Mayor for more work. Before that, I have a look around town - I toss some conspicuous boxes around and find my first loot, a Hardy Apple, which raises the user's defenses a bit. There are a few different kinds of these apples which allow you to buff the characters along the way, though equipment generally has a more pronounced effect. After a boy called Tony annoys me by being a little shit, a nearby farmhand explains that there were once powerful berries called Holy Berries in a cave down south, but the last seed was used to kill a monster, so there's none left!

I ask for more information about that, and I get the full story - long ago a monster prevented the villagers of Surf from collecting berries from that cave, apparently their main export. They hired many bounty hunters to take it out, but it kept coming back to life over and over again. Everyone began to give up until one of the bounty hunters had a brilliant idea - to plant a Holy Berry seed inside the monster while it was regenerating. The berry sprouted and, sure enough, sealed the beast with its magic. Nobody really believes that story anymore though, it's considered a fairy tale. Unfortunately this is a JRPG, so naturally every single legend is entirely true (and god is probably evil.)

A boy near a well explains that every year the water gets a little lower than the last. Not too many people know this, but he's heard that the world is coming to an end, so this must be an OMEN! Another guy informs me that the village used to be livelier when there was still an active berry trade, but times are harsh now. Also, he's heard that there's a city holding a festival to the south, and he wants to go… I'm guessing that's going to be a Chrono Trigger-style mini-game festival, later? Gotta hit all the classic tropes! There's also a mention of the legendary outlaw Calamity Jane - stories of her battles are famous! She's probably very beautiful…

While scouring the village for petty cash I learn that Rudy is an orphan, as well as a silent protagonist - as was the style at the time. The implication is that he does actually speak to people, but we just don't get to read his lines. Oddly, this applies to Mr. Blue Hair alone, not the other two protagonists. This game is having its cake and eating it too, I suppose? I quickly head upstairs in the mayor's house, the largest building in town, and here I should briefly comment on screen transitions in this game - they're smooth as butter. Unlike a lot of games where you have loading screens at every door and staircase, different levels of the buildings just reveal themselves as required here, overlaying themselves automatically, so barring transitions to entirely separate maps like the world map or new floors of dungeons, everything flows together seamlessly. It looks pretty snazzy. Anyway, the mayor compliments me on my work, then rewards me… with infinite bombs. Wat.

Yeah, seriously. The mayor explains that what he's giving me is actually an artifact he dug up while exploring ancient ruins, which I might find handy. These bombs are powerful enough to destroy most small objects, some large objects, and large chunks of weakened walls, and they never run out. In the good old days he used those bombs to clear out debris at the southern cave, but there's no need for them now that the berries are gone. The world is fading, he laments, and the village is starting to feel the impact. This new [Bomb] is the first of a number of specialized tools that the three main characters will receive in this game, essentially Zelda-style world traversal upgrades you can unleash with a single button press. Switching between them can be done whenever, though right now there's only one option to choose from. Each character gets three or four of them, and you can easily change them out whenever you want with a button press. It's neat!

I try to leave so I can explore the much-discussed berry cave, only for a rude asshole to run me over on the stairs with urgent news for the mayor. Apparently a child from the village has gone into the Berry Cave! Convenient, that. The Mayor laments that there's not much they can do since the cave is verboten, then says that he'll have to talk to the townsfolk about this situation, and also asks for it to be kept quiet. Uh, there's like ten people living around here or something, who exactly are you keeping it quiet from? Either way, I head out to do some life-saving with my newly obtained bombs! They basically work like Bomberman ones, you drop them at your feet and they take a few moments to detonate. Luckily they don't really do anything to other people or yourself, and the only things they blow up in town are the fragile boxes I could toss around already. Meh.

Dungeon: Berry Cave

The world map is fairly barren, as befitting the backstory of Filgaia, but once you get near a point of interest the camera zooms in so you know you're getting somewhere even when there's nothing visible on the actual map.

I head down a short distance towards the nearby cave and find a guy there who says that a kid got past him - nobody's allowed inside, so what is he to do? Eat my dust, guy! Inside the cave, I immediately run into a so-called Balloon, and it's… well, basically a semi-spherical ball of screaming red souls surrounded by bloody tentacles. Joy. Apparently this thing is in basically every Wild Arms game? Sorry, man, you're not as evocative an enemy as a Slime from Dragon Quest or a Bomb from Final Fantasy…

Nice.

More importantly, this is my first look at the combat screen and the battle model for Rudy - which is just entertainingly comical in its adorableness. He straight up looks like a chibi action figure of himself, with an oversized head and big elongated dots for eyes. In combat he can hit things with his sword… or pull out his ace weapon - his ARM! Rudy's special trick to deal with this weird fantasy universe is, naturally, to pull out a freaking handgun! Rudy's packing heat! His gun only has eight bullets at the moment, but it's a big old hand cannon which deals a ton of damage, so that's no real problem…

Combat in this game is mostly just a stock JRPG of the era, where you get experience and money at the end (with 'gella' being the currency.) You also have a bar called 'Force' which fills up as turns pass, as you attack, and when you get attacked - Limit Break style. If you reach a full four levels of Force you will get 'Condition Green' which eliminates any bad status effects that character currently has (but it doesn't restore HP or MP.) Every character slowly unlocks four skills across the game which are paid for with increasing amounts of Force - 1 to 4, naturally. Rudy's current skill is a lock-on which ensures that his next gunshot has 100% accuracy (and it might also power it up some, it seems like?) You get new ones via various in-story events, so I don't think you can really miss them, barring one optional sidequest reward.

This first dungeon is pretty simplistic, and reflects some of what we can expect from all of them - elementary switch/block-pushing puzzles galore.

There's also long paths which you can't sprint down lest you run into nasty bats. Sprinting in this game basically locks you into a direction until you bonk off objects in your path and get knocked on your ass, so maneuvering quickly is a bit of a slip and slide affair where you have to manage your momentum if you want to turn, and you can't just stop on a dime. Yes, falling off edges like in Zelda is a risk, though you do respawn somewhere close. The bats can spread a [Bad Omen] status effect which increases your encounter rate, making it even more of a nuisance to get through, so it's best to keep things slow. There's a Holy Symbol in a chest nearby to cure that status effect, just in case you got afflicted. I soon get to a save point - for some reason it's a Star of David - as well as a chest containing a Bullet Clip, which will refill my gun even if I'm not in town to do it for some petty cash. Handy!

I soon find the lost boy I'm looking for - Tony, the snot-nosed brat from the beginning. He explains that he came here to look for berries for his father, who's quite ill, and that these berries can be found on the other side of a nearby blocked passage. He knows it's not safe in here, but he needs to get those berries! He recognizes me as a Dream Chaser and asks if I can move the boulders. Some quick bombing later - these things pack a punch, contextually - I get into a partially submerged cave area where I pick up a Bandanna, my first piece of equipment. I also find a large glowing monolith with a spooky eye and an inscription, faintly glittering berries growing at its base. That's not concerning at all, I'm sure.

The moment I grab those berries, my control is taken away - Tony rushes in to thank me for my help and declares that with these berries his father can be healed, then he drags me back to the entrance of the mini-dungeon. The camera lingers on the monolith, however, which begins to crack from base to top, its spectral glow fading away. At the same time there's a violent tremor, an earthquake, and the camera pans out over the world map, highlighting a castle to the south, a bridge, and an abbey even further south, all of which experience this violent disturbance… Crap, did I just doom the world by accident? I did, didn't I?

Rudy and Tony return to the entrance to the Berry Cave, where the entire population of Surf seems to have gathered to meet them. Tony's mom tells her son off for always causing so much trouble, but after some bickering from various townspeople the Mayor decides that since Tony's safe, that's all that really matters - it's time to go home. Everyone goes to leave, until there's suddenly an awful noise from deeper within the cave, and a monstrous creature jumps out to attack the group. It's enormous and has glowing red eyes… It's our tutorial boss battle!

[Boss: Zombie]

The Zombie is the first boss of the game, and it honestly looks neat - it's more like a strange minotaur than the classic zombie like the name would suggest, with huge horns and spikes sticking out of it, as well as skeletal-looking limbs tipped with claws. For lack of better options I start unloading my gun into the thing, using the lock-on power whenever possible since normal hits are only about 85% accurate and I'd hate to waste my limited supply of bullets. Every few turns I'm forced to use a healing item, but that's fine. The most dangerous thing here is the Zombie's Rotten Breath attack, which has a chance to inflict the all too familiar poison status effect, but I manage to avoid that fate.

After reducing the monster to nothing, it seems that's not enough, as it begins regenerating like the stories claimed it could. Rudy quickly pitches the Holy Berry he retrieved from the monolith towards the boss, thereby preventing its resuscitation just like in the legend. Seems like when I took that from the monolith earlier, it was actually the exact same berry that was used in ancient times to lock this creature down there in the first place. Whoops!

Tony is happy about my victory, but the rest of the village isn't quite so pleased. The earthquake caused by the seal breaking did a lot of damage to the town, and Rudy flaunted his possession of the forbidden power of [ARM] by shooting the zombie with his big gun in front of everyone, so he gets shat on for that apparently great sin too. The Dream Chaser has cursed them all!

The Mayor thanks Rudy for saving Tony, but follows it up by reminding him that he opened the forbidden path and put everyone in danger in the first place. On top of those grave sins, there's also his possession of an ARM! He tells me I'll be judged for these misdeeds according to village law, and asks if I agree. Regardless of my answer I end up back in town, on the second floor of the Mayor's house, staring out the window while the people of the town discuss my fate a floor below. I'm able to overhear them, though, and it doesn't sound promising.

The elders soon come to their conclusion - I will be asked to leave town. Since the Mayor took me in after my parents passed, he says he'll inform me of their decision. When he gets to my position, he deduces that I was eavesdropping, so I should already know what's been decided - I'll have to start packing my bags to leave, and I shouldn't come back. My actions have brought chaos to this village, and if I have any conscience at all, I'll leave them to their peace!

I make one last round of the village, and it's discouraging - everyone's gotten quite xenophobic due to the perceived untrustworthiness of Dream Chasers which Rudy demonstrated, and some won't talk to the 'criminal' at all, or tell me to take responsibility for the mess I made. Only Tony's family is on my side, thanking me for saving their kid - the dad apologizes profusely, since his own injuries led to all of this in the first place. Tony himself catches up to me as I go to the edge of town, and he says that he should be the one who gets the blame, not me. He knows I did the right thing, and that the village is wrong… and he's terribly sorry for everything.

The screen fades to grayscale as the opening text crawl returns, declaring that even though Rudy used his skill to protect them, the people of Surf rejected him out of fear. Within him is a power he never asked for… the skill to use the forbidden ARMs. He still wanders the world in search of his soul… unaware of his inborn power! Well, he's a protagonist in a classic Japanese RPG, what else did you really expect?

Much like the intro to the game, the introduction of Rudy gives its own share of new questions - like the nature of the ARMs. It seems that even possessing a gun is considered forbidden, and it does seem pretty anachronistic in this fantasy medieval setting of scarcity and limited means. It's also consistently capitalized like that, suggesting it's a proper noun situation, like FF7's SOLDIER or WEAPON. The final text crawl suggest this is some sort of secret inborn power, the ability to use guns, so perhaps this is a DNA lock type of situation? This world comes off as kind of post-apocalyptic, so maybe these guns are weapons from the before-times? Rudy dug up an old footlocker from before the nukes fell?

Of course, if ARMs are that, then what does that say about the Mayor? Didn't he mention he dug up the infinite bombs in an ancient ruin? Did he give me some ARMs, then immediately turn around and banish me for using them? What a dick!

Next time: let's see what our other protagonists are up to, shall we?

Last edited:
Nice! Wild ARMs is a game that's really stuck with me, so I'm interested in seeing how you take certain things.

There are some translation hiccups in Wild ARMs, as was typical for the time, but if I recall correctly it was at least mostly readable, so you shouldn't have much trouble. I'll point out the hiccups I'm aware of as we go along, but I'm not particularly learned on this score.

Speaking of, Rudy! Apparently in Japanese his name is closer to Rody. Personally, I prefer the translation in this case, but it's worth noting.

Edit: On the events of the story itself: yeah, Rudy's starting story is just oof. Poor guy. According to the manual, he's only 15 too.

I have a couple more thoughts on Rudy himself which aren't spoiler-ish, but I'll wait until you've gone through all the characters' introductory bits.

Last edited:
Wild Arms (Part 2) - Jack's Introduction

Introduction - Jack

We're back at character select, and this time I pick the treasure hunter option, arguably the shortest of the introductions (because it's largely just a dungeon delve rather than a town full of NPCs.) Curiously, the descriptions from the start are gone, and the other two characters are now only identified by their locations… We open on a shot of the ruined 'Memory Temple', where we see a blond treasure hunter in a fancy brown coat speak to his surprisingly talkative pet, some kind of small blue rodent. His name is Hanpan, and he is the best.

The mouse comments that he hopes the treasure hunter didn't waste too much money for the information about this place, since it's actually a famous site - there's surely nothing of value left here, after being picked clean for so many years! The treasure hunter swears his instincts tell him otherwise, and he gets into a squabble with Hanpan about it, before declaring that they'll check it out anyway. Perhaps this will be the place where he'll find clues to obtaining the [Power]!

The duo enter the ruin, and the treasure hunter immediately starts touching some nearby device, while Hanpan yells at him not to touch that! The mouse interacts with it instead, and the magi-tech device asks if the user is the 'Keeper of the [Memory]' and instructs the user to engrave their name to enter. As a test, the treasure hunter puts in his own, which is where we get to name him. His default name is Jack, so that's what I'm going with.

This is not the correct password, obviously, and for that transgression - and to protect the [Memory] - he gets cast to the bottom of the abyss. A trap door opens up under our feet and we fall down into the depths. It's notable that the way the device reacts is very much like a computer… ancient magitech confirmed?

While a dramatic Indiana Jones-esque segment plays out, in which Jack and Hanpan race down passageways dodging giant boulders, sharp spikes, and generally get chased down narrow pathways alongside endless pits, the narrator finally pops up again. They introduce our new character, Jack van Burace (or 'Jack Vambrace' with better localization), a Master of the [Fast Draw] technique of sword-fighting.

He's a Dream Chaser like Rudy, and a treasure hunter to be specific, prone to delving in ruins for ancient goodies. His Wind Mouse companion Hanpan is a curious and knowledgeable creature, but also a little arrogant. With no regard to danger, treasure hunters like Jack roam ruins seeking treasure and adventure. He seeks the ultimate [Power] surpassing any other existence. He relentlessly searches - is it a sword he seeks? Is it hidden here? Once again, Jack will be challenging the ruins in search of this elusive [Power]...

After the slapstick sequence ends - and it's pretty fun, honestly - Jack finally falls down another big hole and ends up in a small room lit by huge braziers. He immediately declares that the chase was cool, but Hanpan is pretty done. He says that they should forget about exploring, and just get outta here! I get control back, and I head out to inspect the surrounding area, discovering that it's already well-looted. There's an open treasure chest just outside the door, with a note on the wall next to it which declares that someone has already taken everything of value.

Other nearby chests are also conspicuously empty. There is, however, a chest across an impassable gap which even the note-posting treasure hunter before me couldn't get to. Hanpan pipes up and introduces the first of Jack's [Tools] - himself! Hanpan functionally works as a long-distance retrieval missile, so presumably he's some sort of flying squirrel type creature? Jack can toss him in straight lines towards objects or chests that he can't reach, and the flying mouse will quickly pilfer them and bring back what he finds. If it's not too heavy, at least. Speed and wit are his forte! As a bonus, opening trapped chests with Hanpan allows you to dodge taking damage from them, since he's out of there with the loot before they detonate! Inside the chest I find an intact Cowboy Hat, and obviously I immediately equip it. At least we've got our Wild West representation on the team, huh?

Making my way down further, dashing through a hallway full of spears - they are activated by motion, but can't quite reach me in time when I'm going at full sprint.

There's also several simple switch puzzles here, but using Hanpan to activate them works. Eventually I have to situate myself on one of the switches and shoot him at another to activate two at the same time which opens up some kind of magical portal deeper into the dungeon - to the very end, in fact.

Jack and Hanpan soon reappear from the teleportation device in front of a very sci-fi platform plugged into a dozen thick pipes - Jenova vibes, you know? Hanpan warns Jack not to touch it, only for the machine to activate on its own and project a green sphere into the air, within which hovers a humanoid figure. Hanpan recognizes it immediately - that's an Elw! There's clearly a bit more going on here than classic fantasy - there's some serious 'ancient aliens' vibes, with lost high tech civilizations and all that. Sure enough, when Jack asks his pet what an Elw is, Hanpan helpfully explains that long ago, an alien race used to live here on the planet of Filgaia, and they were an advanced race who used technology laced with magic.

These ruins here are the remnants of that race, whose lives were in sync with the laws of nature! Jack wonders if what he's seeing is really an Elw, and Hanpan corrects that this is just the holographic image of one - they must have found a data storage device of their race, full of information left to be retrieved later! This really is a Temple of Memory! Suddenly Jack is affected by the machine - the Elw begins speaking directly into his mind. Hanpan is amazed at the technology capable of getting through such a thick skull!

'Seek not Lolithia. She sleeps in her tomb. Lolithia's icy breath can only destroy. Seek not Lolithia in her tomb. The Elw have departed. Seek not Lolithia, for she is bound in the [Land of Light]. She is the Death Wind. The heartbeat of annihilation, an absolute destructive power…'

Jack immediately zones in on that final line - this must be the absolute [Power] he's been looking for! He asks where this supposed Land of Light might be, and Hanpan muses that in an ancient tongue, the word Adlehyde means 'Light', so maybe that's related? It's a kingdom located not far from here…

With a goal in mind, Jack quickly teleports back out to the entrance chamber and heads south towards the world map to hunt down this lead. The narrator returns, declaring that there is a price to pay when the Power is attained. Free thyself from the past - but what awaits in the future? Does man seek strength because he believes that the Power will light the darkened path to the future? He has no idea that the Power he seeks is also binding his soul!

…It's clear that Jack, for all his fearless derring-do, must have some kind of evil streak or possibly a dark and ominous past - he's way too obsessed with gaining power not to have a reason for it, right? He comes off as kind of a dumbass, but being a dork doesn't really make up for ignoring the clear warnings of an alien race not to mess with this stuff. Of course, those same aliens then gave specific directions to this forbidden location, so maybe they weren't thinking this through either. Either way, Jack's got the moral complexity of the party, I'm guessing - Rudy's too much of a boyscout for it.

Also, about the Elws… those are basically space-elves, right? They're an alien race of ersatz Vulcans that brought advanced technology to a relatively primitive planet in the distant past, and for one reason or another they're no longer around. The whole thing where they lived in harmony with nature is classic Elf stuff - did they leave because evil Man began ruining the environment by exploiting it? Filgaia is clearly doing poorly at the moment, given that the world is apparently dying… The parallels with Final Fantasy VII are thick on the ground here - the Elws are basically the Ancients, this race of itinerant nature-conscious aliens who disappeared due to some historical event which will definitely not become plot-relevant at some point. All we need now is the cause of their death - their equivalent of Jenova!

It's kind of interesting how this game doesn't take long to let its odd sci-fi anachronisms slip in - it doesn't pretend to be a low-fantasy setting. The world is clearly medieval for the most part, what with people's main weapons being swords and the like and living in small villages living off berries, but on the other hand one of our main characters uses a presumably ancient alien handgun, and another spends their days exploring the long-abandoned remnants of a more technologically sophisticated species…

As for the third member of the party...? Let's go see what she's up to next...

Last edited:
Curiously, the descriptions from the start are gone, and the other two characters are now only identified by their locations…
I think this is an issue with coding rather than a deliberate choice--the game uses the same screen in other scenarios, so it's more convenient to have it by default show the characters' locations, so it might've just been set to only show the descriptions the first time because they didn't want to bother with setting up a flag for it. Or something. I'm not a PS1 game dev, after all :V
His name is Hanpan, and he is the best.
this is super true, and we need a hanpan game stat
The duo enter the ruin, and the treasure hunter immediately starts touching some nearby device, while Hanpan yells at him not to touch that! The mouse interacts with it instead, and the magi-tech device asks if the user is the 'Keeper of the [Memory]' and instructs the user to engrave their name to enter. As a test, the treasure hunter puts in his own, which is where we get to name him. His default name is Jack, so that's what I'm going with.

This is not the correct password, obviously, and for that transgression - and to protect the [Memory] - he gets cast to the bottom of the abyss. A trap door opens up under our feet and we fall down into the depths. It's notable that the way the device reacts is very much like a computer… ancient magitech confirmed?
Fun fact, you can actually enter the right name here. You'll still fall down though--I can't recall if it just pretends you didn't enter the right name, or if there's a bit that means the pitfall opens anyway.
Hanpan pipes up and introduces the first of Jack's [Tools] - himself! Hanpan functionally works as a long-distance retrieval missile, so presumably he's some sort of flying squirrel type creature? Jack can toss him in straight lines towards objects or chests that he can't reach, and the flying mouse will quickly pilfer them and bring back what he finds. If it's not too heavy, at least. Speed and wit are his forte! As a bonus, opening trapped chests with Hanpan allows you to dodge taking damage from them, since he's out of there with the loot before they detonate!
If I recall correctly, Hanpan is one of the more useful Tools in the game. You'll be using him quite a bit.
Jack immediately zones in on that final line - this must be the absolute [Power] he's been looking for! He asks where this supposed Land of Light might be, and Hanpan muses that in an ancient tongue, the word Adlehyde means 'Light', so maybe that's related? It's a kingdom located not far from here…
Calm down there, Vergil :V
Also, about the Elws… those are basically space-elves, right? They're an alien race of ersatz Vulcans that brought advanced technology to a relatively primitive planet in the distant past, and for one reason or another they're no longer around. The whole thing where they lived in harmony with nature is classic Elf stuff - did they leave because evil Man began ruining the environment by exploiting it? Filgaia is clearly doing poorly at the moment, given that the world is apparently dying… The parallels with Final Fantasy VII are thick on the ground here - the Elws are basically the Ancients, this race of itinerant nature-conscious aliens who disappeared due to some historical event which will definitely not become plot-relevant at some point. All we need now is the cause of their death - their equivalent of Jenova!

It's kind of interesting how this game doesn't take long to let its odd sci-fi anachronisms slip in - it doesn't pretend to be a low-fantasy setting. The world is clearly medieval for the most part, what with people's main weapons being swords and the like and living in small villages living off berries, but on the other hand one of our main characters uses a presumably ancient alien handgun, and another spends their days exploring the long-abandoned remnants of a more technologically sophisticated species…

As for the third member of the party...? Let's go see what she's up to next...
It's a bit funny you make the comparison to Jenova, because WA1 came out just a bit over a month before FF7. It's interesting regardless to see the similar ideas at play--I hadn't actually made that connection before you pointed it out.

And yeah, this game lets you know right out the gate that although the contemporary era is more along the lines of vague middle ages with smatterings of more modern ideas, this is also a setting which has some very sci-fi-esque ideas.

At the same time, though, it's still a fantasy setting, which is something that it also makes abundantly clear from the ruins' explicit use of magic with its technology (edit: and makes even more clear with Cecilia's introduction). This isn't the most uncommon thing, of course, but it's something that left an impression on me.

Last edited:
Fun fact, you can actually enter the right name here. You'll still fall down though--I can't recall if it just pretends you didn't enter the right name, or if there's a bit that means the pitfall opens anyway.

Unfortunately it just names Jack the name you put in and ignores that it's correct. Even if it didn't, though, I think you need Cecilia to get further in, so sequence breaking wouldn't even do much here. Ah well.

It's a bit funny you make the comparison to Jenova, because WA1 came out just a bit over a month before FF7. It's interesting regardless to see the similar ideas at play--I hadn't actually made that connection before you pointed it out.

There's some pretty heavy FF7 vibes later on - though perhaps the close proximity in time makes it a pretty easy reference here. Like you can compare the mad scientist type characters to lots of things, but Hojo is right there.

And yeah, this game lets you know right out the gate that although the contemporary era is more along the lines of vague middle ages with smatterings of more modern ideas, this is also a setting which has some very sci-fi-esque ideas.

At the same time, though, it's still a fantasy setting, which is something that it also makes abundantly clear from the ruins' explicit use of magic with its technology. This isn't the most uncommon thing, of course, but it's something that left an impression on me.

Yeah, it's magi-tech... which is another similarity with FF7, honestly. Stuff might not run on Mako, but the theme of the world running on fumes and the players being as powerful as they are by consolidating the bits that remain into useful weapons of war is still there anyway. Runes, man! It's ersatz Materia! :D

Wild Arms (Part 3) - Cecilia's Introduction

Introduction - Cecilia

To close out our character introductions, I head for Curan Abbey. This segment opens in blackness, with a voice calling out to the 'Innocent One', declaring that they can feel their mind in hers… That's… ominous? A blonde girl in a white-and-pink dress hovers in the dark and wonders if the voice is calling her - she can't see anything! Lights blink around her and a vaguely colored background forms, before the voice continues. It declares that she should take their wishes into her heart, Innocent One, and to say her name so they will again be bound by the ancient contract! The girl is confused by this demand, but the voice insists that she should hurry - what's her name? Once again, the word is engulfed by darkness. Quickly now! Reluctantly the girl agrees and gives her name. (Don't! The Fae --)

Our protagonist's default name is Cecilia. After answering the dream-voice, the light gets brighter and a ball of light resolves into the vague outline of some strange inhuman creature resembling a geoduck clam or turtle, and it declares that Cecilia should let go of her ego and seek the power in the book!

She wonders who she's even talking to, and why it called her the Innocent One, but it just repeats her name, only for that to transition into a teacher calling the girl's name - apparently Cecilia fell asleep in class and she dreamed all that! Class is over! A classmate muses that Cecilia is turning seventeen years old today, so she should probably work on not being so spaced out so much - after all, isn't she supposed to head back to Adlehyde soon? He worries about the future if their Princess has mental problems! Cecilia, annoyed by the backtalk, snarks that they're being really nice to her today!

The teacher, Sister Mary, tells Princess Cecilia that she's almost ready to leave the abbey - her life from here on is going to be a journey, and she must be cautious!

Before I leave this place, though, I head over to the nearby bookcase and to my delight there's actual books there with lore snippets!

Basic Magic: Spells are created by binding two elemental crests onto a Crest Graph.
Filgaia: No one has been able to stop the degeneration of Filgaia.​

I then head east towards a library, though only a few bits of lore are accessible because the place is a mess:

History of Filgaia: About a thousand years ago, a race of Metal Demons tore through Filgaia. The Guardians, the Elws and the Humans won the war at a considerable cost. After the Guardians lost their strength, the land could not maintain its life force... The weak faded away... The Elw disappeared, never to be seen again.
Ancient Civilization: There are advanced machines found all over Filgaia. Many of them are weapons. Scientists refer to them as ARMs. Ancient Relic Machines, ARMs. ARMs and relics of ancient battles have been excavated from the same layer of soil.​

So, uh, that fills in a few huge knowledge gaps, huh?

We're definitely dealing with a post-apocalyptic setting, and given the hints of science-fiction so far, I can conclude a few things. Firstly, the 'Metal Demons' - those have to be some kind of magic robots, right? A rogue AI situation maybe, some sci-fi apocalypse that was interpreted through the lens of a less developed civilization years down the line. The 'Guardians' are a mystery, but the Elws and Humans of the time evidently worked together with them to combat this threat, but the victory was extremely pyrrhic. The Guardians lost their strength, the world itself began losing life force, and 'the weak faded away.' The implication is probably that many of the more vulnerable died, but it might be that the Elws as the more nature-oriented beings were too closely tied to the dying Earth to survive the ordeal? Shades of the Ancients again, there.

The other book here gives us the definition of ARMs! I was right that these are leftover weapons from the war of a thousand years ago, still scattered everywhere, and these Ancient Relic Machines are known by a descriptive acronym. They were excavated, though, which probably means that it took a long while after the war ended for human civilization to reestablish itself to the low-tech state of today, and basically everything about the world from beforehand was lost in the process, beyond what scientists can literally dig up. (Curse you, Ted Faro!) Rudy's ability to use these ancient weapons might indicate he's a descendant of these ancient people, like having the Ancient Gene in Stargate (but those are different Ancients, heh.)

Anyway, the librarian tells me that I've got good timing in coming here - he knows I'll help him out! He was sorting books, you see, but he made a terrible mess of things. He knows that the magician Anje has a magic [Pocket Watch] and wonders if I could head over to her to get it, since it'll help clean the library? It'll reverse time, thus putting all the books back on their shelves! Presto!

Before following up on that errand, though, I head one room over, to another classroom where I learn about the magic of this world. A boy describes the four elements - Geo, Fray, Wing, and Muse - which stand for earth, fire, wind, and water respectively. Interestingly the colors are a bit odd - the earth element is blue for one, and the water element is black. The teacher also helpfully informs me that the forces of two elements together create a spell, including two of the same element, and you can then bind the resulting spell to a Crest Graph. She gives me one, and tells me to head over to the Magic Guild to actually bind the elements for use. A book in the corner reassures me that you can just dissolve a spell at any time and pick another - it's pretty freeform.

While heading towards the Magic Guild I run into a girl who explains that here in the Curan Abbey, the Guardians are the center of worship - but she's not here to worship, she's here to learn magic! Ah, so the Guardians are the local equivalents of the gods, then - the people here are polytheistic despite the less than subtle Christian vibes that an 'abbey' calls up. I wonder if this means that the ancient war against the demons was essentially Filgaian divine magic and Elw magitech against the technological prowess of the Metal Demons from space? That sounds pretty badass…

Over at the Magic Guild I can bind spells or dissolve them and get the Crest Graph back - it doesn't really cost anything, but you have a limited amount of Crest Graphs (depending on how many you looted in the world) which naturally limits your repertoire of spells.

There are a total of 32 spells to be formed here - 16 white magic spells, and 16 black magic ones, which are naturally divided into more defensive and utility options as well as offensive moves. There's also advanced spells further down the line, adding a further 32 spells, but many of those are just stronger or multi-attacking versions of their lower end counterparts, though there's a bunch of extremely useful ones in there. For now I just bind 'Heal' (White magic, Muse/Muse) and leave.

There's a couple staircases near the entrance to the abbey, and up one I find what is essentially an inn, where a girl named Lila is recovering from an illness after she ate something spoiled, and I'm also offered a bed to rest. When spoken to, Lila unexpectedly declares that Cecilia eats so much that she's gotten to be known as the [Glutton Woman], the great mage of… Cecilia smacks her. Good for her! That was incredibly rude!

I next head up the other staircase to find Anje, and she's got a big lump of rock sitting on her table! She declares that it's a Guardian Stone, which responds to the power of the Guardians! According to her studies, Anje declares that the Tear Drop has some connection to these stones - and apparently we have that particular [Tool] on us! Cecilia raises the magic gem in question and sends sparkles everywhere which activate the Guardian Stone, and Anje is pleased that there's a visible reaction.

Apparently the Tear Drop is actually the secret treasure of the Adlehyde royal family, though its exact function is left vague here. In exchange for the dramatic demonstration we get the Pocket Watch we came here for, a second [Tool] for Cecilia - this one will reset a room if we ever mess up a puzzle and want to start from scratch. Handy way for the developers to ensure they can ignore the possibility of people locking themselves in, heh!

After going back down to the ground floor I find the food court nearby, and the serving lady there declares that she'll miss Cecilia after she leaves - her and her appetite! God, people are so rude around here! I return to the library with the Pocket Watch and the librarian is quite relieved, and he asks me to fix things up while he goes to Sister Mary and gives some excuse for why he hasn't done his actual job yet. He's counting on me! Cecilia hates using magic for such a mundane purpose, but she activates the Pocket Watch anyway to send all the books back to their proper place, only to discover that one is mysteriously left behind.

As she approaches that book, a spooky voice declares that the Innocent One should release them - they're trapped within the [Sealed Library]! Cecilia concludes it's the same voice from her dream. What's the Sealed Library? Is it located somewhere in the abbey?

Now that the library is cleared, I can access the other books on the shelves, by the way:

Guardian Religion: They are the protectors of Filgaia. As faint as they are, the Guardians are living among us on this desolate world. All things come from the Guardians' power.
The Four Powers: The Earth Dragon, Gurdijeff. The Fire Bird, Moa Gault. The Wind Tiger, Fengalon, The Water Turtle, Stoldark. The four elemental Guardians.​

So, a bit more information about the gods of this world - they've been weakened by the war like everything else, as mentioned, but they're still around. The four Guardians described for the four elements are clearly directly inspired by the Four Symbols from Chinese mythology - the Black Tortoise of the North, the Azure Dragon of the East, the Vermillion Bird of the South, and the White Tiger of the West. These are also sometimes known as the 'Four Guardians.' The elemental overlap isn't the same, though, beyond the fire-bird and water-turtle, because the classical four elements are not the same ones that the Chinese used (they had wood and metal instead of wind.) I imagine having a metal tiger would kind of mess with the plot, given that the demons are made of metal…

I ask a student about the Sealed Library and I'm told it's a rumor that's been floating around forever - it's supposed to be full of forbidden texts, with scary books.

If I want to know more, I should ask Sister Mary or one of the older teachers! Another student suggests that the head chef and Lila might know something too. I ask the teacher first, and Cecilia quickly explains what happened to Sister Mary, including the strange dream she had, the shadow she saw, and the book which spoke to her. Sister Mary concludes that it sounds like she's being summoned by the Guardians, and if she really is their Chosen One, she'll have to handle this one on her own. Sister Mary warns that the Sealed Library holds many monsters, though, so I should be careful - and may the Guardians be with me! (...How would she know?)

I ask the chef about the situation, and he explains that he's heard rumors of the Sealed Library before - something about the showing of a light being the key to opening the passageway in there. Apparently the abbey itself was built on an ancient ruin, so maybe that's related?

Anje tells me that the sealed books contain forbidden information, and Lila is also less than helpful, but a random guy in a passageway lets me know that while he doesn't know anything about secret libraries, he does know that the two statues in the courtyard have secret switches - he wants to push them real bad! Another tells me that for some people those statues are as light as a feather, but for others they won't move at all. I make my way over to the courtyard, and sure enough there's now secret switches which unlock the two statues, allowing them to be moved around freely.

With some basic RPG logic I quickly move the statues so that they're facing each other, which causes a nice bit of audio feedback with a jingle. Then, to satisfy the chef's part of this puzzle, I also use the sparkly Tear Drop and lights begin to coalesce and rush around me, before heading north back into the abbey. Following them, the lights form a symbol of the Tear Drop on the wall, with a down arrow pointed at a blank wall. Subtle. The spooky voice returns and declares that they are the Eternal Darkness, and that the Innocent One should come to them and bring her inner light!

Anyone else getting major bad mojo vibes at this point? Just me…? Next time we'll go in and see what's actually down in the Sealed Library... I'll hold my thoughts on Cecilia's whole deal until we get some (read: a lot) more context in the next dungeon!

Unfortunately it just names Jack the name you put in and ignores that it's correct. Even if it didn't, though, I think you need Cecilia to get further in, so sequence breaking wouldn't even do much here. Ah well.
You do, yeah. You can still technically sequence break this if you go back here once you have Cecilia and enter the right name, but it just nets you some items. Which as you can imagine, is pretty useful for speedruns.
Yeah, it's magi-tech... which is another similarity with FF7, honestly. Stuff might not run on Mako, but the theme of the world running on fumes and the players being as powerful as they are by consolidating the bits that remain into useful weapons of war is still there anyway. Runes, man! It's ersatz Materia! :D
Yeah. Though, for some reason, the styling of how Wild Arms meshes the two seems to have stuck with me more. I have some thoughts on that, but going into them would probably be leaning too much on spoilers.

Now, onto the update...
She wonders who she's even talking to, and why it called her the Innocent One, but it just repeats her name, only for that to transition into a teacher calling the girl's name - apparently Cecilia fell asleep in class and she dreamed all that! Class is over!
Well, I bet that won't come back at all. Nope. No sirree.
Before I leave this place, though, I head over to the nearby bookcase and to my delight there's actual books there with lore snippets!

Basic Magic: Spells are created by binding two elemental crests onto a Crest Graph.
Filgaia: No one has been able to stop the degeneration of Filgaia.
I then head east towards a library, though only a few bits of lore are accessible because the place is a mess:

History of Filgaia: About a thousand years ago, a race of Metal Demons tore through Filgaia. The Guardians, the Elws and the Humans won the war at a considerable cost. After the Guardians lost their strength, the land could not maintain its life force... The weak faded away... The Elw disappeared, never to be seen again.
Ancient Civilization: There are advanced machines found all over Filgaia. Many of them are weapons. Scientists refer to them as ARMs. Ancient Relic Machines, ARMs. ARMs and relics of ancient battles have been excavated from the same layer of soil.
So, uh, that fills in a few huge knowledge gaps, huh?
Oh yeah, always check the books when you can. You can find some interesting details there that might not be so obvious otherwise.

By the way, since it hasn't come up yet, Filgaia is a localization thing--it's meant to be "Fargaia". I don't remember the exact reasoning behind the name, though.
Apparently the Tear Drop is actually the secret treasure of the Adlehyde royal family, though its exact function is left vague here. In exchange for the dramatic demonstration we get the Pocket Watch we came here for, a second [Tool] for Cecilia - this one will reset a room if we ever mess up a puzzle and want to start from scratch. Handy way for the developers to ensure they can ignore the possibility of people locking themselves in, heh!
I don't actually remember 100% of what's going on with the Tear Drop, so re-learning what its deal is should be interesting.

Also, that Pocket Watch is really funny, because the manual just. Says this about it:
Article:
Pocket Watch The hands of this watch rotate counterclockwise. It has the ability to turn back time, returning broken wooden boxes or objects that were moved to their original state. Though it is potentially a very powerful object, it will only work in certain places, and does not work on living beings.
Which is a pretty blatant way of saying "don't think about it too much" to any possible questions someone might have about its usage :V
As she approaches that book, a spooky voice declares that the Innocent One should release them - they're trapped within the [Sealed Library]! Cecilia concludes it's the same voice from her dream. What's the Sealed Library? Is it located somewhere in the abbey?
Whoa! Who could have guessed!?
Sister Mary concludes that it sounds like she's being summoned by the Guardians, and if she really is their Chosen One, she'll have to handle this one on her own. Sister Mary warns that the Sealed Library holds many monsters, though, so I should be careful - and may the Guardians be with me! (...How would she know?)

I ask the chef about the situation, and he explains that he's heard rumors of the Sealed Library before - something about the showing of a light being the key to opening the passageway in there. Apparently the abbey itself was built on an ancient ruin, so maybe that's related?
My thoughts are that either it's word that's been passed down across generations that the Sealed Library is filled with monsters, and Sister Mary is either informing her or reminding her--or, Sister Mary has actually been there before. I could buy either, really.
The spooky voice returns and declares that they are the Eternal Darkness, and that the Innocent One should come to them and bring her inner light!

Anyone else getting major bad mojo vibes at this point? Just me…? Next time we'll go in and see what's actually down in the Sealed Library... I'll hold my thoughts on Cecilia's whole deal until we get some (read: a lot) more context in the next dungeon!
I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiiiiine, don't be such a worry wort :V

Wild Arms (Part 4) - Sealed Library

Dungeon: Sealed Library

Using the Tear Drop next to the wall teleports me into the Sealed Library proper, and it also opens the nearby locked door. What follows is a series of rooms filled with minor challenges similar to most of Jack's introduction segment - they're puzzles involving throwing boxes to find or activate more switches, essentially meant to explain how dungeons are going to work and (if you screw up and break the boxes) to use that Pocket Watch we got.

Eventually I reach a large central room, and the ominous voice from before declares that three books act as a door - these are called the [Books of Doors] and the key is fire! I should open the door and light the path! What this cryptic nonsense means in practice is that I need to find three specific books which have been discarded around this huge room, and toss them into a bonfire at the back of the room in order to move forward. Literal book burning to progress, huh? Seems legit…

Before that, however, it's time to gorge ourselves on infinite lore! There are a lot of books in this forbidden library, and they fill in various bits of early game mechanics, plus there's a lot of fairly obtuse trivia about areas and enemies from way later in the game - but they also give a pretty good context for this setting and where it came from. The apocalyptic war which set things in motion gets covered in some detail, and plot seeds are planted very early here. There are also references to events and terms used in the other two introductions, though Cecilia would have no reason to make the connection herself.

Commandment 1: Knowledge can be a guide or an obstacle depending on how you handle it.
Commandment 2: Knowledge has true power when it is needed. Sometimes, though, it is more
important to act on intuition.
Commandment 3: Too much knowledge can blind the viewer. There is never a moment when
this should be forgotten.​

Those three books are right at the entrance - a warning to not do exactly what I'm doing now, I guess! Given that this is a secret library that's implied to be part of some ancient ruin from pre-modern times since the abbey was built on top of it, does that mean these books are from the before-times? I think the actual content suggests to me that some sort of scholarly order used to exist here, but that they perhaps dug too greedily and too deep - hence the warning commandments at the front door… Incidentally, I also find some new headgear on the upper level.

The Guardians: No one really knows who the Guardians are... The only place one can see them is in the legends.
The Guardian of Desire: Guardians, Elws and Humans fought to protect Filgaia. Of the Guardians, the Guardian of [Desire] sided with the demons. The shadow of a black wolf, the Guardian of Desire, disappeared with the Demon Race.
Falling from the Stars: There once was a Guardian who chased the tail of a falling star. He came crashing down to Filgaia with the falling star. The Guardian of the [Star Light], [Ligudobleit]. Does he still sleep next to the fallen star somewhere in Filgaia?
Nature's Might: The Guardians sometimes use their power for earthquakes and lightning. But it is all part of the energy we need to sustain life on Filgaia.
The Lost Guardians: In the ancient days, Guardians represented basic human nature. There were three Guardians who were in charge of higher energies beyond the four basic energies. These three Guardians were in charge of those who lived their lives according to their energies. These were: The [Courage] Guardian, who had the power of growth beyond oneself. The [Love] Guardian, who had the power to protect what is precious. And the [Hope] Guardian, who had the power to believe in the future. In the old days, these three energies existed in everyone's hearts. Now, people have forgotten the meaning of these energies.
Esoteric Guardianism: There exists a secret sect of Guardianists who worship the power of the Guardians. These extremists believe in a complete return to nature, as opposed to the harmonized coexistence with nature taught by Curan Abbey. They left the safety of the common world to develop and instill their beliefs discreetly.​

There's a lot of Guardian lore here - and it's clear that there's more gods around than just the four elemental ones previously mentioned. At the very least we learn here of the Guardians of Desire, Starlight, Courage, Love, and Hope - and that the gods have been gone long enough that the people of today don't really know the specifics anymore. Given that they've apparently 'faded', I'm guessing that religious people worship them without expecting the beings to actually influence the world much - many of these gods might be dead and gone, but nobody would really know because nobody can really track down lost spirits, right?

Honestly the book on the Lost Guardians is depressing - the situation is so bad in the world that people have lost their grasp on courage, or love, or hope… Something which was already alluded to in the introduction, when Elmina invoked courage and told Garrett he didn't understand what it really meant. Also, it took me a moment to grasp what the book on 'Esoteric Guardianism' was talking about. I was wondering what a 'return to nature' means if harmonized coexistence with nature didn't count - but I'm guessing it's a 'return to monkey' type deal? They renounce technology and live in the wild? Perhaps we'll run into a tribe of essentially cavemen somewhere out there? They are extremists, after all…

Kema: During the age of creation, one woman had received a secret book from a heavenly messenger. The book contained information about the creation of the universe. It is said that it contains theories on alchemy and the ways of the heavens.
The Arrival: The Thousand Poem Legend prophesied the coming of Angol Moa. The demigod, Angol Moa will arrive at a promised time to destroy and recreate all. He is known as the ultimate existence.
The King of the Beasts: Since the war with the demons 1000 years ago, many monsters have been born all over Filgaia. [Ragu Ragula], the King of the Beasts sleeps somewhere in Filgaia.
The Rings of Timespace: The Rings of Timespace contain a power that no human should ever possess. The Rings of Timespace are a seal that holds down the boundaries of time and space. The Ring consists of two alignment circles. Once circle designates Northwest, Southwest, Southeast and Northeast. The other circle designates West, South, East and North.​

I group these together as obvious sidequest-bait… I'm pretty sure these are some major endgame bosses that are being described here, and secret locations or items. Also, unless I'm very much mistaken, I think the Rings of Timespace one just straight up includes a puzzle solution, since that's a very particular order to mention those directions, isn't it? I'll refer back to these books when we eventually get to parts of the plot where they're relevant, but it's kind of neat that they're sprinkled into the literal introduction here.

The Forgotten Continent: The [Ring of Grace] has forgotten this land... Our continent will eventually end in warm desolation.
The Demon Invasion: The Demon Race has technology that allows them to travel across time and space. They have also developed a device that utilizes this technology to instantly transport troops to a faraway location. The demons' attacks seemed to use this strategy...
The New Moon: The other moon that floats above the night sky, shines its dull light down on the surface of Filgaia. Some say it's the Castle of the demons and is made of magic silver... We have no way of knowing now...
The Body of the Demons: The cold hard bodies of the demons are made of metal. Their metal bodies, however, have most of the same traits of a biological entity. The ancient Mages of the art of Alchemy studied captive demons to learn from their technology. That is how we came to create the golems.
Ancient Human Weapons: The eight golems were built by humans a thousand years ago to fight off the invasion of the Demon Race. All but one still remains deep inside the ruins... A real study of these artifacts can only be done when all eight of the golems are excavated.​

Worldbuilding! I'm not sure what the 'Ring of Grace' means, but I presume this is speaking about the slow desertification of the world - the world's climate is screwed up and it's slowly getting worse. The rest of these books are more informative about the demons and their invasion. Apparently these demons were technologically advanced, as I suspected, as they not only had the means to teleport to places and thus invade anywhere, but they brought an honest-to-god Death Star, a second silver-hued moon which is still there to this day! Wanna bet we somehow end up going there or blowing it up later…?

The demons themselves are apparently made of metal, but otherwise very similar to biological creatures - which suggests maybe they're not robots but more biomimics like the liquid metal Terminator. Very alien to Filgaia, but they may have just evolved that way instead of being built. At any rate, studying their bodies allowed humans to construct for themselves an octet of superweapons… the Golems! All but one are still locked up in ancient ruins… but what happened to the last one, I wonder? Also, are these actually just giant robots...? Boy, this room is really dumping all the plot threads on us at once, isn't it?

The Guardian Blade: At the bloodiest point in the war, one Elw forged a sword of ultimate power. This sword had the ability to channel the Guardians' power through its blade. There is no record of the sword being used in battle, but it was about that time that the demons withdrew from the war. There is no doubt that the Guardian Blade was a major factor in the war.
The Emptiness of Sand: The dead area called the [Sand River], was caused by the battle against the Demon Race a thousand years ago. The massive destructive powers drained the life from the entire area.
The Tree of Life: After the great war, a huge magical machine was built to restore the land from the devastation. The machine was named [Yggdrasil], after the tree in the legends. The demons discovered the machine and stole the reviving mechanisms. Rather than use the mechanism to give birth to new land, the demons' leader [Mother] used it to give birth to more demons.
The Demon's Heart: Together, the Humans and the Elws were finally able to defeat the Demon Queen. The Queen's heart was forever sealed into three separate Guardian statues.
The Lifeline of the Land: The life of Filgaia has been sustained by linking the weakened Guardians together, through a pipeline called the Rayline. This was a last ditch effort of the weakened Guardians to support Filgaia to this day.​

More war-related worldbuilding! It's suspicious that the Elws forged a super-weapon of their own, a magical sword of supreme power, but then never actually used it to win the war… because the demons just suddenly withdrew? Suspicious. I suspect that this 'Emptiness of Sand', a huge dead area caused in an unspecified battle, might be related - something hugely destructive drained the entire area of life. Did the Elws fuck up, and that's why they're gone? I'm guessing this Sand River is the reason the world is desertifying - the final battle delivered a catastrophic wound to the planet. Did the good guys cause the Jenova impact, and after the first plan of using the Yggdrasil machine failed, that forced the local Guardians/gods to use the last-ditch emergency measure of linking themselves together to preserve life? Oof.

Also I noticed those namedrops of [Mother] as the leader of the demons - I'm guessing this'll be the Mother of Monsters equivalent, spawning the demons? I have to assume that there was a delay between the end of the war, when the demons retreated, and Mother's eventual defeat - because she was apparently involved in taking the Yggdrasil machine to spawn more demons, which seems difficult if she was already locked away in statues. Note that it doesn't mention the Guardians among those who took down the Demon Queen, so I assume they were already busy preventing all life from dying out. Things got real close to extinction, didn't they? To the point that a thousand years later, things are still dangling on the edge of a cliff…

Reach for the Heavens: Is it because humans do not have wings that they constantly strive to reach the heavens? With science seemingly limitless, some people reached for the heavens from a massive tower dedicated to magic.
Battle Magic: Use the different elements to enhance your power against the opponent's elements. Using fire against ice monsters, for example, will increase the effectiveness of your attack.
Kinds of Magic: After many failures, the Magic Guild was able to organize the crest combination into 32 secret spells. Some continued the research to take the magic even further…
The Hidden Magic: The basis for the elemental crest magic is the binding of two elements together to generate magic. There are 32 secret elemental spells kept by the Magic Guild that are more powerful than the normal spells available.
The Use of Magic: It is normally impossible to cast two spells at once. The Great Mage Dhee devised a method to cast two spells simultaneously.
The Hidden Powers: Each unassuming tool has a mystic power within it. This power can be brought out of the tools depending on the psychic abilities of the user.​

We get some more stuff on magic, too - references to researching flight with magic, or at least reaching 'the heavens.' Given that there's an alien space station up there in the sky, I guess they have a reason! There's also hints in here about dual-casting, and the implication that the [Tools] we use are in some sense empowered by the users' psychic abilities - which might explain why only some people can use specific ones, or why Hanpan can speak at all.

The Elws: In the realm of the Elws, the powers of nature are used as magic… They live on the path of eternity. They have long, hairy ears but their silhouettes are human. No one knows the reason why they left or where they have gone…
Enigma of Elw: The enigmatic Elw race... Much of the Elw magic was truly astonishing. They specialized in magic related to biology. One of their technologies converted life force to energy for transport to other locations.
The Elw Dimension: Soon after the war with the Demon Race, the Elws disappeared from Filgaia. They used what powers they had remaining and moved an island still teeming with life to another dimension. Their destination is known as the Elw dimension.​

We end on some more info about the secretive Elw race - who really do seem like elves employing a more druidic sort of bio-magic. Firbolg-ish, maybe, given their long furry ears? They're mentioned to have the technology to turn life into energy and transport it - teleportation. The exact same thing the demons were apparently using to get places. Coincidence? Or are there two competing teleporting factions here, and that's why the war wasn't an automatic victory for the baddies? At least we get an explanation of where the Elws went - they voluntarily departed after the war ended, using their fading powers to excise an entire island into another dimension, vanishing from realspace. So… were the Elws really aliens, as mentioned before, or extradimensional? Were they from the same place as the demons, or not…? No answers as of yet…

There is one more book which can't be accessed, 'De Le Metalica'. since it is sealed with magic which prevents it from being read.

While browsing this huge lore-library I also run into the enemies of this place - small gargoyles and animated books that are flying around. Very Harry Potter, which makes sense in a magic school.

Cecilia isn't very physically strong compared to the other characters, given that she's the mage of the party - but thankfully it seems there's largely solo battles here instead of several enemies at once for the more brawny characters. I did switch out that healing spell for a fire-based attack, by the way, just so I can do better damage than by ineffectually whacking at stuff with a stick. Eventually I'll get enough spell slots to cover my bases, but for now I have to be conservative.

After tossing the three stray books into a convenient fire at the back, a pathway opens between the two torches nearby, a staircase leading one level down.

This to a small room with a book on a desk. Once I go to read it, however, a portal opens in the middle of the room and disgorges an enormous horned monster which snarls at the fact that a human wants to touch the forbidden tome! It shall grant the reader's wish and make her part of his story! Cecilia announces that this is not the being which called her here, and the creature replies that as a daughter of magic, she should become his flesh and blood inside the forbidden book!

[Boss: Nelgaul]

Nelgaul is another simple tutorial boss - and after a relatively brief battle of mostly just blasting it while making sure I don't die, it evaporates. Immediately a new shadowy figure emerges in the middle of the room, but this one is more in keeping with the one seen in Cecilia's dream, some kind of slug/turtle creature. It introduces itself as Stoldark, the Guardian of Water! (Sup, god?) For ages, he explains, that demon locked him in this terrible book. He waited a long time for the Innocent One to free him, she who would receive the Guardian Spirit!

Cecilia wonders what any of that means, and Stoldark explains that the world is at the turning point of darkness again - can't she hear the anger of the land, and the wind? The screams of the sea and sky? He asks Cecilia to wear him as armor, as he will protect her in the fight for life. The battle for Filgaia starts again - and everything begins with [Lolithia]. After that ominous bit of instruction the turtle-god turns himself into what amounts to a blob of Materia - a Water Rune which gives stat buffs and allows the user to channel the power of the associated Guardian in battle. With enough focus you can even Summon them for a big dramatic blast of damage or other effects. Cecilia wonders what 'Lolithia' might mean, though…

We're teleported out of the dungeon, and Sister Mary welcomes us back and declares that Cecilia must now realize the responsibilities of the women in the Adlehyde family - they share their thoughts with the Guardians, and must carry the burden of their destiny with them for the rest of their lives. No one can understand the pain and pressure which she must endure, but they can help her cope with it and make her life easier. She tells Cecilia to walk proudly from the abbey, and travel her own path from now on!

With my path ahead clear, I take one last stroll around the abbey - one boy tells me that he has no chance to match me - not when it comes to studying, and not when it comes to eating. He has no chance against my hunger for knowledge and hamburgers! (Again?!)

I also learn a little more about that festival that was mentioned before, too - apparently it's called a Ruin Festival, and it's more of an archeology exhibit? Another boy warns me to be careful with my eating problem - but then, when has eating ever been a problem for me?

Oh my god, why is literally everyone calling me out on this? Are they fat shaming the Princess of their kingdom? To the gallows with ye! Most of the people wish me luck and wonder what kind of princess I'll become. Chef Lacques tells me not to cry just because I'm going to miss his hamburgers! OH MY GOD, SHUT UP!

Leaving all these annoying body-negative people behind, I head out and finally get a closing narration. The Guardians from the legend have spoken only to her, they declare, and without a sound the wheels of destiny have started to turn. The path she followed in the past was guided by her surroundings, but she knew she would have to pave her own path to the future. Even for the Innocent One, whom the Guardians speak of, it may be too heavy of a burden to be the sorceress of the ultimate power at such a young age…

Cecilia gets the most girthy introduction sequence, but a huge part of that is just that part of it is puzzling together clues... and part of it is the mother of all infodumps. I get it - it's a giant secret library full of forbidden lore, so it makes sense to stuff it to the gills with hidden lore to make that sensible. It's logical! But it does feel like we're just suddenly inundated with a lot of information that won't be relevant for ages, and much of it could probably have been conveyed in a more interesting way than just piecing together narratives from various books which all have only a paragraph or two of information. Foreshadowing endgame stuff? Neat. But I do hope that the game actually explains a lot of this stuff narratively, rather than relying on early game optional lore books to be what fills us in on what's going on in the setting.

Cecilia, as a character, honestly still doesn't have a lot of definition - she's apparently a Princess who was sent to grow up in an abbey and learn magic there, but beyond the fact that she has petty disagreements with some of the kids there, and that everyone likes reminding her she likes eating too much, she's mostly just confused. Despite her apparent cluelessness about even her own religion, though, she's the Chosen One of the narrative - not Rudy, as I'd expected given his status as blue-haired JRPG protagonist boy. Her role here seems more shamanistic than anything - one of the few people who can still communicate with the weakened Guardians who are otherwise mostly powerless. Her status as a royal is mostly irrelevant at the abbey, but I'm guessing it'll be more important once she actually heads back to visit the capital of Adlehyde...

I hate to keep drawing on Final Fantasy parallels here, but the Guardians - judging by Stoldark - are essentially the equivalent of Summon Materia, at least in how you actually use them. You get a Rune which you can equip on a character, each representing their specific Guardian and allowing Cecilia to essentially briefly manifest the remnants of that god into physical reality so they can beat up her enemies. I think the entire party can do that with the Runes, actually, but I'm not sure the others would actually be able to talk with the Guardians. Blessed by the gods, it's no real surprise then that Cecilia is going to be one of the most powerful sorceresses around, but she's also a seventeen year old who doesn't really know much about the world, and her only thing to go on is that it starts with... Lolithia. That name again, huh? Things are converging...

Next time: Our three characters head for the city of Adlehyde, and my favorite character shows her face!

Last edited:
The Body of the Demons: The cold hard bodies of the demons are made of metal. Their metal bodies, however, have most of the same traits of a biological entity. The ancient Mages of the art of Alchemy studied captive demons to learn from their technology. That is how we came to create the golems.
Ancient Human Weapons: The eight golems were built by humans a thousand years ago to fight off the invasion of the Demon Race. All but one still remains deep inside the ruins... A real study of these artifacts can only be done when all eight of the golems are excavated.
The demons themselves are apparently made of metal, but otherwise very similar to biological creatures - which suggests maybe they're not robots but more biomimics like the liquid metal Terminator. Very alien to Filgaia, but they may have just evolved that way instead of being built. At any rate, studying their bodies allowed humans to construct for themselves an octet of superweapons… the Golems! All but one are still locked up in ancient ruins… but what happened to the last one, I wonder? Also, are these actually just giant robots...? Boy, this room is really dumping all the plot threads on us at once, isn't it?
It's this kind of thing which leads to the magitech stuff that Wild Arms has standing out more to me--it doesn't all come down to sci-fi stuff, and it does some interesting things with the aesthetic that I feel like I don't see too often.
Reach for the Heavens: Is it because humans do not have wings that they constantly strive to reach the heavens? With science seemingly limitless, some people reached for the heavens from a massive tower dedicated to magic.
Battle Magic: Use the different elements to enhance your power against the opponent's elements. Using fire against ice monsters, for example, will increase the effectiveness of your attack.
Kinds of Magic: After many failures, the Magic Guild was able to organize the crest combination into 32 secret spells. Some continued the research to take the magic even further…
The Hidden Magic: The basis for the elemental crest magic is the binding of two elements together to generate magic. There are 32 secret elemental spells kept by the Magic Guild that are more powerful than the normal spells available.
The Use of Magic: It is normally impossible to cast two spells at once. The Great Mage Dhee devised a method to cast two spells simultaneously.
The Hidden Powers: Each unassuming tool has a mystic power within it. This power can be brought out of the tools depending on the psychic abilities of the user.
I find it interesting that it's called out as secret spells. That would mean that there are spells that don't fit in that mold, and that the Crest spells have a specific purpose. Which makes sense, but iirc we don't really see those other spells.

It probably wasn't thought about too much, but it's easy to come to the conclusion that Crest Magic is primarily used for combat and healing purposes.
The Elws: In the realm of the Elws, the powers of nature are used as magic… They live on the path of eternity. They have long, hairy ears but their silhouettes are human. No one knows the reason why they left or where they have gone…
Enigma of Elw: The enigmatic Elw race... Much of the Elw magic was truly astonishing. They specialized in magic related to biology. One of their technologies converted life force to energy for transport to other locations.
The Elw Dimension: Soon after the war with the Demon Race, the Elws disappeared from Filgaia. They used what powers they had remaining and moved an island still teeming with life to another dimension. Their destination is known as the Elw dimension.
definitely won't be relevant, I'm sure :V
We're teleported out of the dungeon, and Sister Mary welcomes us back and declares that Cecilia must now realize the responsibilities of the women in the Adlehyde family - they share their thoughts with the Guardians, and must carry the burden of their destiny with them for the rest of their lives. No one can understand the pain and pressure which she must endure, but they can help her cope with it and make her life easier. She tells Cecilia to walk proudly from the abbey, and travel her own path from now on!
Oh, that might be it. That implies at minimum that previous Adelhyde women went down into Sealed Library. It's not difficult to come to the conclusion that they shared information on monsters being down there.
With my path ahead clear, I take one last stroll around the abbey - one boy tells me that he has no chance to match me - not when it comes to studying, and not when it comes to eating. He has no chance against my hunger for knowledge and hamburgers! (Again?!)
smh
Cecilia, as a character, honestly still doesn't have a lot of definition - she's apparently a Princess who was sent to grow up in an abbey and learn magic there, but beyond the fact that she has petty disagreements with some of the kids there, and that everyone likes reminding her she likes eating too much, she's mostly just confused. Despite her apparent cluelessness about even her own religion, though, she's the Chosen One of the narrative - not Rudy, as I'd expected given his status as blue-haired JRPG protagonist boy. Her role here seems more shamanistic than anything - one of the few people who can still communicate with the weakened Guardians who are otherwise mostly powerless. Her status as a royal is mostly irrelevant at the abbey, but I'm guessing it'll be more important once she actually heads back to visit the capital of Adlehyde...
There's a detail I want to point out that I feel comes up at some point, but that gets signs pointing to it from as early as this introductory section for Cecilia. I'll refrain for now, even in spoilers though.

So, now that we've been introduced to all the protagonists, you've probably noticed something. Both Jack and Cecilia talk and have actual dialogue--however, Rudy doesn't. Heck, the only line I can recall him having in the entire game is actually an addition in localization. This isn't too uncommon, however, something that is uncommon (for RPGs, anyway) is that, despite him being a silent protagonist, I'd say that him being silent actually adds more to his character than it detracts. You've only seen a little of what makes me think that so far, but I'm curious to see how your thoughts shake out on the matter.

It's this kind of thing which leads to the magitech stuff that Wild Arms has standing out more to me--it doesn't all come down to sci-fi stuff, and it does some interesting things with the aesthetic that I feel like I don't see too often.

We haven't gotten to most of that yet - a lot of the more magitech-heavy areas have a remarkably industrial feel to them. They don't really come across as very magical, but neither are they just straight-up 'white hallways and smooth lines' futuristic. They're generally more like giant hardware factories, save for the occasional crazy high-tech location that definitely leans towards the hyper-advanced tech-side rather than magic... I'll get into that when we get there, I suppose.

I find it interesting that it's called out as secret spells. That would mean that there are spells that don't fit in that mold, and that the Crest spells have a specific purpose. Which makes sense, but iirc we don't really see those other spells.

It probably wasn't thought about too much, but it's easy to come to the conclusion that Crest Magic is primarily used for combat and healing purposes.

It's noteworthy that we're in an abbey dedicated to the four elemental Guardians, and all our spells are also based on those four elements in various combinations, so you could easily see that there's more magic out there to be discovered that isn't limited to elemental crests - presumably the Elws and the Golems have their own unique flavors of magic going on? The 32 spells on offer at the Magic Guild are just the ones humanity has managed to redevelop independently, with the advanced 32 as their latest forays into experimental wizardry?

So, now that we've been introduced to all the protagonists, you've probably noticed something. Both Jack and Cecilia talk and have actual dialogue--however, Rudy doesn't. Heck, the only line I can recall him having in the entire game is actually an addition in localization. This isn't too uncommon, however, something that is uncommon (for RPGs, anyway) is that, despite him being a silent protagonist, I'd say that him being silent actually adds more to his character than it detracts. You've only seen a little of what makes me think that so far, but I'm curious to see how your thoughts shake out on the matter.

Yeah, he has a total of two lines - both of which are added by localizers as far as I know, and both of which are pretty minor. One is during the first visit to Adlehyde when each character is still on their own, and the second is later on in a dungeon. It's kind of odd how other characters do end up narrating that Rudy told them stuff - it's just not explicitly shown in-game. It's an interesting quirk, and I suppose we could interpret it as him using sign language or something instead of speaking?

Man, this takes me back. I recall playing and enjoying this back in the day but it's been so long I've forgotten almost all of it; reading this is a constant experience of "Oh, I remember that now!"

It's noteworthy that we're in an abbey dedicated to the four elemental Guardians, and all our spells are also based on those four elements in various combinations, so you could easily see that there's more magic out there to be discovered that isn't limited to elemental crests - presumably the Elws and the Golems have their own unique flavors of magic going on? The 32 spells on offer at the Magic Guild are just the ones humanity has managed to redevelop independently, with the advanced 32 as their latest forays into experimental wizardry?
I figure that the crests are just a tool to channel/focus the magic of the world in a useful way rather than a source of magic in themselves, but not the only tool that can do so; the Elws magitech being an example already seen. The Crests are likely an "easy mode" for channeling magic given that this is a post-apocalyptic setting that's lost most of their knowledge.

Wild Arms (Part 5) - Exploring Adlehyde City & Castle

Adlehyde

With all three introductions finished, you get to pick whichever character you want to continue with - they're all basically the same, just with minor textual differences until the point that everyone's reunited. Actually, whichever person heads the party while talking to some NPCs can have an impact on dialogue for most of the game, so I'll sometimes try that out to see if I get anything new out of people. Usually it's only relevant when you're interacting with people who would actually know you (like Adlehyde's people being more respectful to their Princess.) Incidentally, you can't just rush over to Lolithia's Tomb immediately, you get booted out:

So for now I just head for Aldehyde as Rudy. Upon entering town, someone shouts 'Holy cow!' - apparently there's been an accident at a location called… [Lolithia's Tomb]. You know, Wild Arms, this is going from a one-time convenient coincidence to silly contrivance real quick. What are the odds that someone would call that name right when I get there, exactly? Though, I suppose, Rudy is literally the only one of the three main characters who wouldn't know that that name signifies… This whole sequence would still happen with all three characters, mind you, which means two of the characters have a reason to look into it because of the mention of 'Lolithia' in the name, while Rudy… actually, he doesn't really have a reason to go there, does he? Just because it sounds like heroism, I guess? Though you'd think his last experience would put him off caves for a while.

Several people gather on the street, and one shouts that they should find Emma. This is out of their hands! Another argues that the injured should be their first priority. The group squabbles for a bit before they leave, and I'm left behind, bemused.

A nearby town crier tells me about the upcoming Ruin Festival - read the room (or street), my guy! I take a look around town and discover a man in the inn who will recharge my ARMs for 50 gella per shot - honestly not a bad rate. At least it makes sense that this town would have an ARMs expert around, given their apparent interest in archeology. Anyway, I soon learn that the earthquake Rudy caused by releasing that Zombie from its imprisonment is the reason for the situation at Lolithia's tomb - there was an excavation there and some stuff collapsed due to the shaking. While Rudy's castigating himself over it, I'm also told that if I need work, I should go to Emma.

Apparently she's a bit of a mad genius inventor who's always looking for help with her schemes… Basically she's Lucca from Chrono Trigger. Awesome.

Another man in the street lets me know that the princess will be coming back for the festival - she's been gone for almost ten years, and he concludes she must be very beautiful. Yikes - she's seventeen my dude, cool your jets. Another person informs me that the Ruin Festival will be held in the East Plaza, but I can't go there at the moment due to the ongoing construction. Via a circuitous route I also discover a person hidden in the far northeastern corner, who concludes I must have been bored to come all the way here and gives me a Heat Salve item for my trouble. Lame.

Another person tells me that Professor Emma has invented a machine to help with the excavation, and another credits Adlehyde Castle's Guardian, Zeldukes, for the good weather. There's a lot of Guardians around, huh, if even an individual castle can have one? Guess these are like house spirits?

I then get to a small hospital, where a nervous receptionist tells me that this hospital is never crowded - maybe it's because people don't like the doctor? Two people are currently in bed, one of them with a light injury caused by monsters - he argues that his injury is minimal and he shouldn't have been hospitalized at all. The man next to him, meanwhile, argues that said man is a wimp who shouldn't cry over a monster bite… Which one of you is speaking the truth…? The doctor proclaims that the fact that this hospital is always empty must be the sign of a great healer! The last bed's occupant complains that everyone's talking about the festival, but he'll be in bed for it…! I know this place looks pretty humdrum, but we'll check in with it later. It's one of my favorite ongoing gags...

Nearby I also find Zeldukes, Guardian of Stability, off among the plants. Or his statue, at any rate.

The mayor's house is, once again, the biggest in town - but since the King lives next door in a castle, that's less impressive here. Mayor Cuthburt informs me that the preparations for the Ruin Festival are going well, and excavated artifacts are being brought in from all over. King Adlehyde himself is even backing the excavation of the main attraction, so this is going to be the most exciting event in the Kingdom, ever! Apparently King Adlehyde is well liked, and has had a peaceful rule for many years now. Well, if that isn't an ominous thing to say when a party of JRPG protagonists rock up to town!

I head for Emma's place next, and inside there's a large mechanical device, which is apparently an invention by the Professor herself - the Emma-Motor! It's still experimental, but she'll get it going soon, and then they'll have… He catches himself and realizes he's spouting secret information to a stranger, and tells me to head upstairs and meet with Emma herself instead.

There's a manual on ARMs here, too:

All About ARMS: To operate an ARM, the user must synchronize with the machine completely. That is why the military models are fussy about who they synchronize with.​

Emma's assistant can upgrade our ARMs for us, too - for a price. Attack power, hit chance, and bullet amount are all things that can be upgraded, though the price goes up exponentially over time. Still, a good money sink. For now, I only have my handgun to power up, but obviously we'll be getting fancier attacks over time.

The moment I speak to Emma herself, there's a commotion - people run up the stairs (again!) and declare that there's an alarm - there's been an accident at Lolithia's Tomb! They broke through a wall damaged by the earthquake, and accidentally unleashed monsters into the ruin! Some of the workers were injured by them. Emma concludes that they should gather anyone with military experience, but the men say that none of them have ever fought monsters before - she couldn't pay them enough to go in there! Emma accepts this and tells them to focus on repairs instead, then, while she does something about the monsters.

She turns to me immediately after that, and states that Rudy seems capable - he can fight, right? She just found out she needs some monsters slain, and she offers 500 gella if I head over there and clear a path. She warns me not to underestimate the place, though - I should bring friends! Note that depending on who you are playing, she tries to incentivize you in different ways - she tells Cecilia she can study the tomb all she likes, and tells Jack he can take any treasures he finds in the tomb. As for Rudy? She just tells him this tomb looks like an interesting place, right...? She's seen straight through him already...

I head downstairs, and dialogue in town has updated - people know about the emergency now, and worry that it might put the Festival in jeopardy. The Mayor wonders what happened, while someone else mentions that there's a story that Lolithia's Tomb is the palace of the gods. Another says that there will be an artifact found by a Dream Chaser at the festival, retrieved long ago from a cave to the north. Ominous!

Before moving on, though, I decide to have a look around the nearby castle, and learn that Adlehyde Castle actually dates back to before the Demon War. Interesting...

In the kitchens, I am told that when the princess was small, she hardly ate anything - they had to bend over backwards just to feed her! Huh. Given the way everyone kept nattering on about Cecilia's eating habits in her introduction, I wonder if that was less of a 'let's shame the Princess for being a glutton' thing, and more that the fancy food at the castle just wasn't to her taste, and she'd much prefer 'commoner' food like hamburgers instead? It's certainly an odd contrast... (Alternatively, the food at the castle sucks so much she's making up for the lost calories elsewhere.)

I loot a Crest Graph and an anti-poison accessory from some treasure chests - nice - and run into a sealed door which can only be opened with a magic key, something to keep in mind for later.

One of the guards advocates paranoia, telling me that you never know when disaster may strike - a few years back the Kingdom of Arctica was destroyed overnight, you know! I guess that means the game takes places only a few years after the opening scene of this game, and that wasn't a scene from the original Demon War - this is new! Which probably means that the reason Cecilia is getting mindwhammied by Guardians is that the demons are back on the prowl and conquering places once more! There's also a guy on the walls who mentions Calamity Jane again - and how she also has another name. Seeding plot elements, huh?

The King, known simply as King Adlehyde, tells me about the upcoming archeological Festival, and asks me to attend since a lot of the artifacts on display were gathered by Dream Chasers like myself. He's got an administrator named Johan too, who mostly just talks up what an awesome person the King is... but politeness is appreciated.

I head out of town and southwards to Curan Abbey, where I can talk to some of the NPCs from Cecilia's path without her. Lila tells me she'll be a reporter on magicians and become famous throughout Filgaia, while the librarian has been assigned to clean-up duty again due to his earlier failures - it's not fair! Outside on the world map we can also find Cecilia herself, fresh from her intro, and I tell her about the earthquake and the situation at the tomb. She's interested in the mention of 'Lolithia', and she tells me she too must go there - and she'd feel safer if we could go together. Though, she did hear that Rudy might be responsible for that earthquake in the first place. Regardless, she joins the party!

I then head west and find Jack's sprite on the overworld as well, who asks me if I've heard of any good adventures to be had. When he learns that I caused the recent earthquake, he's interested to know what I know about such powerful events. He realizes I'm asking for help to take care of this problem at the tomb, and announces that he could be useful. I let him into the party as well, and he declares that this settles it - he could use the company anyway!

There's actually quite a bite of variety in dialogue here - depending on which character you pick, you get dialogues with both other party members regarding their recruitment, including separate response for when you refuse their help (but thou must!) Cecilia tells Rudy that he can help out at the tomb to make up for his mistake in setting off the earthquake, for example. Anyway, regardless of whatever order you decide to recruit these people, you eventually party up and set out. You can head back to town and read some more dialogue from the other two perspectives, or head over to Lolithia's Tomb at last, to see what all the fuss is about! By the way, here's our three heroes in their battle poses:

By the way, there is a (somewhat) secret scene which triggers if you head back to the castle after gathering your party together, but before heading to Lolithia's Tomb. In that scene, Cecilia asks Rudy and Jack to wait for a moment, then she sneaks over to the King and whispers to him that she'd prefer to remain anonymous for now. The King is confused why she's back so early when the Festival hasn't even started yet, but Cecilia claims to have her reasons, and that she doesn't want everyone to make a big deal of it. The King acknowledges that she's never liked crowds, he remembers that, and then compliments her looks - she looks just like her mother! Cecilia just repeats that she's prefer her identity to remain a secret until the Festival, then returns to the party. (It's slightly weird that quite a few people seem to react like they recognize her anyway, but I guess Rudy and Jack aren't listening too closely.)

Next time we'll be dungeon-delving in Lolithia's Tomb, which we were expressly warned about from two different sources - the extinct Elw race who told us that whatever was locked up down there was super-dangerous, and Stoldark the Guardian, who gave no details whatsoever but sent Cecilia out to deal with it anyway. Also Rudy is there, and he has a gun!

Last edited:
I figure that the crests are just a tool to channel/focus the magic of the world in a useful way rather than a source of magic in themselves, but not the only tool that can do so; the Elws magitech being an example already seen. The Crests are likely an "easy mode" for channeling magic given that this is a post-apocalyptic setting that's lost most of their knowledge.
The one reset clock, while a meme, does also lend support to this idea.

And Wild Arms 2, while in any sane world is a different universe along the same lines as every Final Fantasy being only connected by similar narrative ideas, does lend further support to this with three of its playable characters. Even the one who uses Crest Magic gets in on it with multiple Tools.
With all three introductions finished, you get to pick whichever character you want to continue with - they're all basically the same, just with minor textual differences until the point that everyone's reunited. Actually, whichever person heads the party while talking to some NPCs can have an impact on dialogue for most of the game, so I'll sometimes try that out to see if I get anything new out of people. Usually it's only relevant when you're interacting with people who would actually know you (like Adlehyde's people being more respectful to their Princess.) Incidentally, you can't just rush over to Lolithia's Tomb immediately, you get booted out:
You can actually switch between the characters even while separated at this point. I think you do it by select? It's the same button you use to switch characters when everyone's together.

Incidentally, this is used to great effect in the speedrun for this game.
I head for Emma's place next, and inside there's a large mechanical device, which is apparently an invention by the Professor herself - the Emma-Motor! It's still experimental, but she'll get it going soon, and then they'll have…
There are some pretty funny gags with Emma, but the one that immediately comes to mind is actually from WA2, wherein a character basically says "It's an acronym. Don't go thinking it's named after someone called Emma or something like that."
Note that depending on who you are playing, she tries to incentivize you in different ways - she tells Cecilia she can study the tomb all she likes, and tells Jack he can take any treasures he finds in the tomb. As for Rudy? She just tells him this tomb looks like an interesting place, right...? She's seen straight through him already...
Well, Rudy doesn't have anywhere to go or stay at this point, so...
In that scene, Cecilia asks Rudy and Jack to wait for a moment, then she sneaks over to the King and whispers to him that she'd prefer to remain anonymous for now. The King is confused why she's back so early when the Festival hasn't even started yet, but Cecilia claims to have her reasons, and that she doesn't want everyone to make a big deal of it. The King acknowledges that she's never liked crowds, he remembers that, and then compliments her looks - she looks just like her mother! Cecilia just repeats that she's prefer her identity to remain a secret until the Festival, then returns to the party.
Well I'm sure that's not relevant to anything at all.

Wild Arms (Part 6) - Lolithia's Tomb

Dungeon: Lolithia's Tomb

After heading into the tomb from the overworld, I quickly find a man who asks if we're the helpers that Emma talked about, and he just tells us to go find her already - she's around here somewhere! I guess we slept in today?

In a nearby room we find a guy who warns us that some treasure chests are rigged to explode if you're not careful. In practice this means you need to use Hanpan to open these from a distance so you don't get cut down by their detonation - you can tell trapped chests apart by their golden color. Nearby, one superstitious sod is certain that the earthquake and monster invasion is due to a curse on the tomb - only a fool would uncover it! There are things which no human is meant to touch!

After making my way to the higher floor of this opening room, I find a guy standing near a precarious ledge, and merely speaking to him is enough to send him hurtling over the edge, and he comically falls down to the floor below - that was very rude! He could have been hurt, you know!

Emma can be found in a room nearby, at the end of a circuitous route around the opening hall, and she tells me that the three of us together can probably break the seal on this place... She also tells us that past the room with the spooky demon statue lies a… She trails off, but tells us that we can do this! With confidence, one can even learn to fly! Yeah, I'll hold you to that, Miss Cid...

After bombing the nearby wall with Rudy's infinite supply of explosives, we reveal a fairly obvious hidden entrance, and acquire a Buckler from a chest. I spot another chest across the way which I can't yet get since I need another Tool to cross that gap. For the moment I jump down and blow up another entrance to get deeper in.

The dungeon is fairly large and elaborate, but it's mostly just a matter of running around and solving block-pushing puzzles for the most minor of rewards.

There's several levels here blocked off by colored bollards, and hitting switches causes some to rise and some to lower, opening different paths through the room to different minor treasures. It's time-consuming, but eventually I open the way forward, which leads to the stone statue that Emma mentioned. There's a small button which causes some blocks to fall from the sky, and you have to push them to surround the central statue, thus aligning them with images on the ground, in order to solve this minor puzzle as well. A walkway rises out of the ground afterwards which leads up to a large door at the end of the hall…

Emerging from the darkness beyond the door, a huge black creature covered in spines arrives, screeching in challenge. It's the Magtortous, and it's Boss Time!

[Boss: Magtortous]

Honestly, I had some difficulty with this fight, but mostly because it has a fair amount of hit points, not because I was actually dying. I just ran out of uses for my gun, and MP for Psycho Crack, the first of Jack's Fast Draw techniques and his equivalent to Rudy's gun.

This thing also has a electromagnetic laser-blast which hits the entire party at once, which can be a hassle.

Eventually I whittle the big-ass turtle down, though, and it detonates into a satisfying series of mini-explosions as its model fades out. We quickly move into the next room after that - which looks pretty great, since it's got this scenic god-ray thing going on - apparently this room is open to the sky? You'd think that would make traversing the actual tunnels less necessary, but whatever. A huge stone robot is the main feature here - or the magical equivalent I guess, a golem! [Cue Regirock noises.] It's one of the eight ancient super-weapons mentioned in those books from the sealed library! Well, that doesn't seem plot-significant at all, digging up the anti-demon weapons just as the demons are doing a comeback tour!

Cecilia is amazed at finding an actual golem - it's the same one written about in legends! In ancient days, Hanpan explains, Filgaia was surrounded by forests, and it's said that there were eight weapons of the ancient giants, sealed away in some secret place after they nearly destroyed the world. Some of these weapons were found in ruins in this area, but he had no idea one of these was hidden near Adlehyde! This explanation by Hanpan doesn't mesh with earlier information that the golems were human inventions based on demonic technology, so I'm guessing that Hanpan is relaying some mangled mythological interpretation here… or it's just more dodgy localization. Perhaps they meant they were ancient weapons which were giants, rather than that they belonged to giants? Anyway, the fact that the golems nearly destroyed the world might tie into the pyrrhic victory of the war and the giant sand sea - maybe one of the golems went wild? It did specifically mention that only seven of the golems were accounted for, right?

Jack asks if the power in this tomb is different from the [Power] that he has been seeking all this time, and Hanpan concludes that the power they felt here was probably from the golem. Jack is disappointed - how is he supposed to use this thing? It's huge! He could barely even lift it! Hanpan just thinks Jack is crazy for even thinking of trying that, and concludes we should inform Emma of our findings. I am amused that Jack's understanding of powerful things is just 'can I hit people with it?' No wonder it assumed the [Power] would be a sword or something in his introduction narration...

I quickly employ the Escape spell to get back to the entrance of the dungeon, and then walk back towards Emma. The superstitious guy on the way there warns me not to dig up the golem - bad things will surely happen! I also toss that one dude over the edge again. Heh. Still funny. Emma is ecstatic when we tell her that we actually found the golem, of course, declaring that she was right to pick this site - she's a genius! Oh, and the three of us are great too! She can't just sit around, though - she has to head over to excavate it! We should take some of her crew to the site where the golem was found, now! She's counting on us! Cecilia just muses that Emma is kind of bossy…

We immediately switch back over to the final room of the dungeon without having to walk there, and Emma soon descends from above with a hook and chain, telling her crew to attach the golem to a harness so they can pull it out of the ruins without breaking it. After the crewmembers start rushing across the golem's frame to attach ropes, it slowly rises towards the ceiling as the camera pans up.

We switch over the surface, where everyone has already gathered to witness the last stage of the retrieval, as the huge golem slowly lifts out of a huge hole in the ruin's ceiling using two enormous wooden cranes. Emma declares that it's a pleasant surprise that her Emma-Motor was so effective here - it was instrumental in providing the force to pull this off! She then names the golem Lolithia! Isn't it cute? It's unbreakable, and still in mint condition… and completely dormant! Yeah... I'm gonna doubt that one. How long before this thing goes berserk and we have to fight it to the death?

Emma informs Rudy that his promised 500 gella will be ready for him tomorrow when we get back to town - payment for a job well done! She'll be too busy prepping for the Ruin Festival today. We then get summarily spat out onto the world map to make the trip back to Adlehyde on our own.

Emma is fun, you know? She's clearly the 'kooky science genius' archetype of this game, the Lucca, the one who's developing newfangled technologies like combustion engines and excavating ancient tech to learn from them - and given how much she keeps referencing flight, she's probably also this game's equivalent to Cid too. I do like that she comes across as competent, though - for all that she's a bit of a free spirit who just steams ahead at full power, her hunch here was entirely correct - she had people digging into this tomb because she suspected a golem was hidden there, and she was correct. 'Lolithia' is presumably an ancient name for the thing, but the characters didn't know that... Emma found out, though! Bit conceited, but with a good heart, that's my read on her so far.

As we enter Aldehyde again, Jack concludes that since the money won't come in until tomorrow, he'll just wait until then before leaving for the next ruin to explore.

Cecilia is sad to hear they'll be parting so soon, but Jack just tells her that's the life of a Dream Chaser. He says they should just get back to the inn, for now - the festival starts tomorrow, and he wants to attend! Cecilia admits that she's still not sure why she was instructed to head for Lolithia's Tomb in the first place, and tells the others that after today she might not be able to travel with them again. Still, she won't forget this adventure, and hopes they'll continue to treat her in the same way as she's treated them so far! Right, she still hasn't let them in on her royalty, has she...?

After that's over the screen fades to black, and we get a brief scene of Cecilia heading over to the castle by herself to meet with her father the King, though we see no dialogue this time. After that, we're swiftly moving on the next morning, when the Ruin Festival is due to start - now with the newly excavated golem as an exhibit! I'm sure things will be just fine.

Next time: Let's do the Chrono Trigger intro, I guess!

Last edited:
This explanation by Hanpan doesn't mesh with earlier information that the golems were human inventions based on demonic technology, so I'm guessing that Hanpan is relaying some mangled mythological interpretation here… or it's just more dodgy localization. Perhaps they meant they were ancient weapons which were giants, rather than that they belonged to giants?
Not sure for this one, but seems probable that it was a localization gaff.
Jack asks if the power in this tomb is different from the [Power] that he has been seeking all this time, and Hanpan concludes that the power they felt here was probably from the golem. Jack is disappointed - how is he supposed to use this thing? It's huge! He could barely even lift it! Hanpan just thinks Jack is crazy for even thinking of trying that, and concludes we should inform Emma of our findings. I am amused that Jack's understanding of powerful things is just 'can I hit people with it?' No wonder it assumed the [Power] would be a sword or something in his introduction narration...
He's such a dork, I love him.
I just find this hilarious. Emma is definitely prideful, but she doesn't seem to like, deliberately put people down. She's just purely caught up in her own hype, or something along those lines.

I may or may not make an edit for this at some point. Stay tuned :V

Wild Arms (Part 7) - Ruin Festival

Ruin Festival

The morning of the Ruin Festival arrives, and everyone's quite happy to talk about it - apparently the Ancient Civilization exhibit is on display, so we can immerse ourselves in a time that has long since passed. Someone comments that it's surprising that golems are found all over Filgaia and not just in the northern ruins, though I guess that's mostly just their narrow view of the world talking... I also check in at the hospital and the clerk informs me that she'll stay there since you never know when an emergency will come in. The healer is also still there, and mentions that he has to work today - if he were to leave here, the people would get very angry! The lone patient in the furthest bed grumbles that the festival must be fun, but he's going to stay right here! In the pub, I get a free drink...

Rudy and Jack head east to the Ruin Festival, where people are celebrating with various games, all set up around an archeological display. Apparently the King is really into these ancient relics, and he'll use anything for an excuse to party. As I talk to people, I begin to notice a pattern, though… there's a certain fatalism in the air. Some of the people there think that there might not be any future festivals, and others are fearful of the artifacts on display, musing that since they were used as weapons of war against the demons, they're pretty terrifying on their own. Most of the visitors to the festival are also from Adlehyde itself - for all that this is some grand spectacle the King set up, not many people actually made their way here. I think this is just another sign of the world's deterioration, where even relationships between different places and people are breaking down.

Passing below the festive banner, it's time to enter the display area...

In the bottom left corner you can participate in Lucky Mole Catching, which is basically whack-a'-mole, where you have 30 seconds to pull as many moles as possible out of the ground, getting a variety of minor rewards depending on your time. It's kind of a pain to play, honestly, and the rewards aren't really worth it unless you're pretty good at them - you can get stat-increasing apples if you do particularly well. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper to just buy healing items at the item store. I do appreciate that they went with the 'moles wearing black sunglasses' look.

I also run into Emma, who immediately gives me the 500 gold she owes us, and tells us to have a look around - there's surely something that'll interest us, too! There's a guy who sells flowers near her - I'll take some in Aerith's honor! (These flowers increase your Luck stat, which affects a few different things, probably most notably your critical hit chances. Stocking up on them here is probably smart, they're only 2 gella each.)

There's several interesting artifacts displayed around the place - there's a meteorite containing strange minerals, for example, which appears to be the source for the metals that make up many of the artifacts on display. This suggests to me that most of this stuff is probably demon-tech - they are the ones allegedly from space, after all, and literally made of metal... Granted, it's never explicitly stated that this was human technology, just that it's ancient.

They're also displaying a chunk of metal that's incredibly tough and which nobody can duplicate, as well as an odd metallic skeleton which is associated with the ancient times - though nobody knows what it could have been used for.

There's an ancient flamethrower ARM on display too which only some people can use since these things need psychic synchronization to function, as mentioned in that book at Emma's place. Seems a bit huge to be practical for Rudy, though. Finally, there's a mysterious black box - a control device, maybe?

In between the displays I speak to a couple who have lost track of their child, and they tell me he just disappeared into the crowd. The mother asks me to help look for him, as he might be in trouble - he should be easily recognizable by the red balloon he's holding. If I see him, I should bring him back here! …I'll keep that in mind, but for now there's some mini-games to play!

One of those mini-games is tossing a ball into a bullseye - there's no real strategy to it, as the exact location where the object drops is somewhat random, so you just have to keep doing it a few times and spending money to get the grand prize, a ' Secret Sign' which lowers the MP cost of a technique by 1. Pretty handy later on to reduce the cost of particularly impactful abilities like Meteor Dive on Jack to basically nothing, so you can spam them against everything.

Next to that game is the Ultimate Chicken game, which basically means running at full speed at a wall and stopping in time to prevent you from bonking into it. The closer you stop to the wall, the better the prize. Don't try this at home, kids! You get a Magic Carrot for winning this, an MP recovery item. Not impressive. Finally there's also a race-track to train your agility in dashing and turning corners, but there's no prices associated with it - it's just there to play around. (Editor's Note: The only noteworthy thing about it, I think, is that 'McDullen' is the current fastest runner, and that's a name which will pop back up later in the game...)

The main attraction of the whole thing is the golem, of course - or golems, as surprisingly there's not just one! There's three! The first is Diablo, a very powerful golem wielding a flamethrower for close combat, with tough but agile armor and good hand-to-hand abilities. It's nicknamed the Crimson Wind, and was apparently excavated in Arctica. It stands 59 feet tall and weighs 160 tons. Next is Barbados - the weapon on its shoulder is a fire device, whatever that means, and its hard armor reminds one of an indestructible fortress. This one was excavated from the Ocean of Sand, stands at 63 feet without its weapon, and weighs in at 210 tons. Finally there's Lolithia, also known as the Ice Queen, since in ancient legends it froze enemy demons to death. It was excavated near Adlehyde, obviously, and stands at 53 feet tall and 120 tons in weight.

It's kind of interesting how the game is introducing these giant inanimate statues like this, when it's blatantly obvious that we're basically getting Boss previews, right? The descriptions mention their particular elements and quirks, for example, which will probably be reflected in their attacks when for some reason or another these things are going to go wild and attack everyone. They really do remind me of WEAPON from Final Fantasy VII - these leftover relics from an earlier age that were left dormant after they had no use anymore, but which were also capable of destroying much of the world, as we've already heard from a couple sources. And the people are just cluelessly displaying them as neat relics. They don't belong in a museum!

After satisfying my wanderlust at the festival and winning a few random items from the games, I ask around a bit more about that missing kid. People either didn't see anything, or tell me that they saw him head back towards the center of town, away from the festival. Figures.

Moving back over to Adlehyde, I soon find the kid with the balloon in the middle of the plaza - he's still looking for his mom and doesn't know where she went, and evidently got himself lost. He accidentally releases his balloon as I talk to him.

As it slowly rises up towards the sky dark clouds roll in, the music shifts, and everything gets… really fucking dark. Laughter and murmurs cease as bits and pieces of the sky itself seem to slowly tear away as a hole is shattered in space-time - it's not hard to guess this is related to that demonic traveling technique mentioned in the Sealed Library. A silent nightmare spreads out over the citizens of Adlehyde as the gap in reality yawns wide. The Beginning of the End is here! Bright beams of white light then strike the land from the opening, and a wall of fire rushes across the horizon as rocks fall from the sky…

The scene shifts back to town, and after a flash of light and a cascade of meteor impacts… holy shit, everything is on fire!

The town is wrecked, and the balloon kid is… did… did they just kill the little kid? They sure did. Huge swathes of the town are burning or getting destroyed, a ton of people are very dead, and various minor demons have set up shop, mostly skeletons and lizardmen, and are wandering everywhere.

In a little in-set box I also see Cecilia again, surrounded by monsters somewhere in town - she's clearly calling for help. I don't need any more instruction than that - let's be heroes. I quickly head north towards the castle to challenge the invading demons and save our former party member, who actually appears on screen twice for a bit there. The enemies are just minor minions, thankfully, and they go down in only a couple blows of our mighty swords.

After taking out a few of them, Cecilia tells me that the gates of the castle will remain open for another five minutes to let any straggling refugees in, and I'm then given 5 actual real-life minutes, with a counter in the corner, to head around town and gather anyone left behind. Let's hustle!

This isn't really a difficult challenge, by the way - there's more than enough time to hit the entire place, and dodging the overworld monsters is easy enough since they don't chase you, which means you don't necessarily have to fight anything - this is a weird change from the usual random encounters, but I guess it's just to make the puzzle a bit more manageable. Any character who doesn't look super-dead already will happily agree to head for the castle, so it's just a matter of canvassing the whole town for all ten survivors. (I'm fairly sure you get rewards based on how many you save, later.) When I'm sure I got everyone out I head north as well.

This is when the scene switches back over to the south, to show the place we just left behind in ruin… In the middle of said town, a skeleton and lizardman congregate in front of a huge hulking green guy wearing a pirate bandana - this is the demon Belselk (Berserk in a proper localization) who declares that it's not even a close contest today - the weak humans are helpless! He instructs one of his minions to send a message to one of the humans running into the castle - if they don't give up the Tear Drop, the demons shall tear the castle to pieces! He then asks one of the lizardmen about the three golems at the Ruin Festival - are they here, and are they working? He's pleased to hear that they're junk, since he has no interest in fighting those things! With demons in control of those machines, this sure is an interesting situation, he reckons…

Wow. The tonal shift in the middle of this festival was every bit as foreshadowed and expected as it was brutal. Like, I knew some sort of attack was probably going to happen - but I expected the golems to go on a rampage or something. Instead, the moment we find that kid with the balloon… the entire town just gets annihilated. The kid with the balloon gets murdered right next to us by a fucking meteor strike, what the hell? Gotta respect the sudden dark twist...! The surviving townspeople rush for safety inside the nearby stronghold, which makes sense - but now what? The demons are in charge now, and while I'm guessing we're gonna be Big Damn Heroes and beat up Belselk next time, given the sheer power level on display here in carrying out this attack, I'm not sure that's gonna end well for us…

More curiously, Belselk is apparently here for the Tear Drop. Why? And why now? It's been safe in Curan Abbey for at least a decade, but within a day or two of Cecilia using it to free one of the Guardians, the demons decide to come for it? That's probably no coincidence. Did we cause this? Between Rudy setting off that earthquake and Cecilia probably unleashing the prophesized demon apocalypse, feels like Jack is the only guy here who hasn't yet contributed to the end of the world, heh.

Someone comments that it's surprising that golems are found all over Filgaia and not just in the northern ruins, though I guess that's mostly just their narrow view of the world talking...
To be fair, civilizations in general tend to be confined to a few places. For a case like this, of course, it makes sense for them to be all over the world, but I could see things from that Era being an exception rather than the rule, even here.
I also check in at the hospital and the clerk informs me that she'll stay there since you never know when an emergency will come in.
That's not foreboding at all.
There's a guy who sells flowers near her - I'll take some in Aerith's honor! (These flowers increase your Luck stat, which affects a few different things, probably most notably your critical hit chances. Stocking up on them here is probably smart, they're only 2 gella each.)
It's only temporary, but that's probably why they only cost two gella.
There's an ancient flamethrower ARM on display too which only some people can use since these things need psychic synchronization to function, as mentioned in that book at Emma's place.
The idea of psychic stuff comes up again in WA2 iirc, where the Force stuff is explicitly called out as also involving psychic stuff, though I can't remember exactly how it's brought up. It might also be in further entries after that. It's just a strange background detail you may not realize is there unless you pay attention.
Moving back over to Adlehyde, I soon find the kid with the balloon in the middle of the plaza - he's still looking for his mom and doesn't know where she went, and evidently got himself lost. He accidentally releases his balloon as I talk to him.

As it slowly rises up towards the sky dark clouds roll in, the music shifts, and everything gets… really fucking dark.
And here, we, go.
The town is wrecked, and the balloon kid is… did… did they just kill the little kid? They sure did. Huge swathes of the town are burning or getting destroyed, a ton of people are very dead, and various minor demons have set up shop, mostly skeletons and lizardmen, and are wandering everywhere.
Yeeeeeeep.

Anyway, we've finally hit the proper start of the plot. The demons are back in earnest, and this entrance does a good job of showing just how dire that is.

To be fair, civilizations in general tend to be confined to a few places. For a case like this, of course, it makes sense for them to be all over the world, but I could see things from that Era being an exception rather than the rule, even here.

I mean, we already learned that the demons have legit space stations and that the Ewls could teleport - global reach seems to be underselling what the civilizations of a thousand years ago were probably capable of!

That's not foreboding at all.

Yeah, this entire segment is like a farewell party to good times, heh.

It's only temporary, but that's probably why they only cost two gella.

From what I understand the Luck status can change upon resting/leveling up? either way there's a way to get free flowers later on, but it's a bit of a hassle compared to just shelling out a few gella here without needing to run back and forth between places.

The idea of psychic stuff comes up again in WA2 iirc, where the Force stuff is explicitly called out as also involving psychic stuff, though I can't remember exactly how it's brought up. It might also be in further entries after that. It's just a strange background detail you may not realize is there unless you pay attention.

It's also used in reference to the [Tools] here, so I guess everyone's at least a little bit psychic and synchronizing with technology is important somehow. Given that it involves not just magic gems or infinite bombs but also mundane stuff like lighters or hookshots that seems a bit odd though...

And here, we, go. Yeeeeeeep. Anyway, we've finally hit the proper start of the plot. The demons are back in earnest, and this entrance does a good job of showing just how dire that is.

I'm talking from the perspective of someone who played the entire game already (and I'm slowly editing my LP for posting at the moment) and I do feel like the game struggles to reach the same level of 'Oh shit!' that it manages here. There's a couple 'disasters' later on which are much less competently handled, unfortunately...[/quote]

I mean, we already learned that the demons have legit space stations and that the Ewls could teleport - global reach seems to be underselling what the civilizations of a thousand years ago were probably capable of!
Eh, I guess.
I'm talking from the perspective of someone who played the entire game already (and I'm slowly editing my LP for posting at the moment)
Ah, I see. That does explain some of your earlier comments. I'm still gonna wait until various moments to make particular comments, because it'll make more sense in that context.

Wild Arms (Part 8) - Adlehyde Occupation

Adlehyde Occupation

We rejoin our party at Adlehyde Castle in the wake of the demon invasion, and one of the guards helping to block the passage south tells us to head inside - quickly now! The walls will keep the enemy at bay until we can regroup.

Another is panicked, yelling that the King himself was wounded during all this mess… What are they going to do now?! There are still monsters in town, so they can't leave - how long will the food supplies last? Several other people nearby are exhausted and haven't been able to move any further than this - they used everything they had to even get this far. They're confused and terrified, wondering how this could be - monsters are everywhere! Is this really happening? A guard asks about this whole 'sky cracking' business the refugees mentioned - what does that mean?

The kitchens are in disarray too, as they've already determined that there's not enough food to keep all the refugees fed for long - though the nearby tables certainly seem well-laden with scrumptious meals. A cook's assistant worriedly mentions that if the monsters break in here, they'll have to fight as well… He also says that there's a secret passage to the cellar nearby which was sealed long ago, which leads back towards the town. If the monsters find it, that could be disastrous! …Thanks for foreshadowing the next plot-point, my guy.

In one of the side rooms of the castle we can actually find the town's survivors, including all those people we saved - this includes the sick guy from the hospital, who demands a bed, now! Most of the rest are downright depressing to talk to, having lost their wives or children in the attack. Ugh. One of the men asks how long the monsters plan to stay in town - it belongs to the people of Adlehyde! Others are less bothered - one decides this is the last sign they needed to move to the countryside, while another complains about being sober at his age - he never thought he'd have to go through this again! One of the only kids there wonders where all his friends are - oh, dear god. I don't think the mother of balloon kid survived - or at least they didn't make it to the castle in time, and a guy with the same sprite as the husband is asking whether she made it.

Talking with the castle's personnel using Cecilia in the front of the party gets me some more respect - the guards are far more gracious, and I can pass through areas which are for royals alone - I guess Rudy and Jack are included as retinue. One of the guards along the way tells me that they hadn't figured on the King being attacked, and they apologize for allowing him to be harmed. What a tragedy! He's being tended to in his chambers. Another guard laments the attack and wonders if the Castle's Guardian is useless against these monsters… (Actually it says 'Castle Guardian' - maybe Zeldukes is the Guardian of Castles? Weirdly specific, but sure.)

I head to Cecilia's room before visiting the ailing king, and she has a couple books lying around:

Light and Ice: Adlehyde is the [Light]. Arctica is the [Ice]. Both are from the ancient blood of benevolence... Adlehyde looked for the warmth in the heart. Arctica looked for the answers from the past to sing the songs of man across Filgaia. Both kingdoms pledged to world peace.
Tear Drop: Small crystal sphere that fills in the palm of a child's hand. Invaluable. Radiates a subtle heartbeat of pure magical light.
Benevolence: One...know thy subjects. Two...Always lead by example. Truth will always prevail.​

I think I see the shape of things here - Adlehyde and Arctica were ancient allies - 'born from the ancient blood of benevolence - and we already learned this castle dates back more than a thousand years. These two kingdoms teamed up during the original Demon War, and they're also the prime targets of the demons on their return, attacking both of them in turn to take out their ancient enemies. That's probably why Belselk was so dismissive of the current human resistance too - he probably knows that this kingdom was a lot more imposing back in the day. The Tear Drop is a secret treasure of the Adlehyde bloodline, so he probably knows about that because it also dates back to those ancient days...

To extrapolate a little further into guesswork - Adlehyde and Arctica are affiliated with 'light' and 'ice' here, respectively… but the golem dug up from the ruin near Adlehyde is Lolithia, associated with the element of ice, while Diablo, the one associated with fire, was dug up in Arctica. Is there a symbolism to that? Did they do a golem exchange of sorts? At any rate, both of those kingdoms having a golem suggests I'm onto something with them being powerful and important back during the first war. The third golem at the festival was excavated from the Sand Sea left behind when some weapon went out of hand and destroyed a huge chunk of the land - presumably that very golem. I'm gonna guess it's the earth-element one, given the sand theme…

Enough dawdling. I head over to the king's chambers, and one of the guards at the door mentions that King Adlehyde was injured by a monster right as he was leaving the castle. At his bedside, Minister Johan informs me that this has never happened before, monsters taking over an entire town like this. (Except for in Arctica, I guess, but I don't think word of that got out.) What do they even want, he wonders? The King admits to us that he was wounded badly in the fighting against the demonic invasion, admitting he was careless. He hopes his men got away in time. He's clearly suffering terribly, and asks to speak to Cecilia - he needs to tell her something, before he… Switching party order again, the King is glad to see his daughter is all right, and warns her that the monsters are actually after her, and she must defeat them!

A soldier rushes into the room and declares that the monsters have sent word - they demand the surrender of the Tear Drop or they will storm the castle! Cecilia says that while the Tear Drop belonged to her mother, and as such it's very dear to her, she would give it up for the sake of her kingdom. The demons can have it!

The King is aghast at the very thought, and says he won't permit it. No, she won't do this! The Tear Drop is not just an heirloom, you see, it holds the key to unleashing the power of the ancients! Only a princess of the Adlehyde family may possess it! One who hears the will of the Guardians can use the Tear Drop to change the world! Cecilia points out that if she does nothing, many will die because of her. The King begs her to understand that life can be cruel sometimes, and then commands her to stay in her room, no matter what happens…

The three of us are quickly escorted back to Cecilia's room. She clearly doesn't agree with her father's words - innocent people shouldn't suffer over some bauble! It's not right! She knows that there is a secret passage in the dungeon, though, which should still be there. When she was a little girl she tried to use that to get to town! They can sneak out through there to give the demons the Tear Drop so they'll leave the people alone!

Cecilia… is being a dumbass here, but she's also a teenager who was dumped into the role of Chosen One without any choice, and the gods seem pretty hands-off with letting things come as they may. Zeldukes sure didn't put up a fight! More curious is that neither Rudy nor Jack have any real input here… nor did we really get a payoff for them discovering that Cecilia is the Princess… Maybe that comes later?

Anyway, once we leave Cecilia's room and head out into the castle, it quickly becomes apparent this will be more complicated than just walking to our destination the normal way - since Cecilia was commanded to stay in her room by her father, all the guards are now hostile on sight and will run at us to capture us, so running away from them is a must - we need to stay ahead of them and find a way back towards the kitchens without getting sent back to our room to sulk. The route I end up taking leads across the castle walls and back through the freaking throne room to get down to the kitchens - that seems positively bizarre, I'm sure, but there's no guards there at the moment since the King is on his deathbed! Score for logic!

The cook is actually quite willing to go along with this little trick, but warns us that there's a curfew in place, and there's powerful monsters down there - are we still willing to go? Sure! He opens the cellar door for us, and we tumble down into the dark, landing on a save star in the latest dungeon - which is basically a sewer level, with all that entails. Hit the counter, Sivvie! Seriously though, there's solid walkways on both sides of the water, there's bridges to cross, it's all there. These are the same in every game, aren't they? Seriously though, this is the least interesting 'dungeon' yet, and the enemies are bog-standard sewer rate nonsense too.

It's not a very long trip, thankfully, so I pick up a few stat-apples along the way and make my way over to a small warehouse in town, where I shove some boxes aside to make my way towards Belselk. The demon in question is still just chilling in the middle of town, waiting for a response from the besieged castle. The moment we three show ourselves, Belselk immediately demands that we hand over the Tear Drop, and Cecilia obliges, asking if Belselk is guaranteeing the lives of the people in exchange for the artifact. Belselk agrees, stating that he's a busy guy, so if we just hand over the item, we won't see him again! Cecilia then gives him the gem without protest, and the demon goes to leave, keeping to his bargain.

That's when Jack suddenly shouts that he's not done with the demon yet, and angrily announces that he's not sure how the demon got here, but…! Belselk curiously wonders what Jack means to do, exactly. Jack declares that he's in this for revenge - that's what he lives for! Knew it - dark, tragic past involving the demons killing his entire family or something. Is Jack from Arctica?

Belselk responds that, like he said before, he's a busy guy… so let's make this quick, shall we? Cecilia interjects and tells Jack he can't do this - he's crazy to go after this demon by himself! Boss Time…

[Boss: Belselk]

'Humans break so easily… You guys don't make very good toys. We have to be so delicate with you humans. Here, how about a little dance?'

The fight against Belselk is relatively tough - he mostly just dishes out regular physical attacks, but occasionally he whips out his Disrupting Flail which can annihilate a couple hundred hit points at once, instantly putting one of the characters in danger of dying, while Spinning Flail is an area of effect attack which hits everyone for a solid hundred instead, which means I need to pull out some Mystic-empowered healing items. Thankfully Belselk also has a taunt move which just has him dancing around menacingly, which does nothing except give me time to get everyone back to full before he starts flailing again. Eventually Belselk gets bored at getting assaulted by the equivalent of gnats and decides he's just going to leave. Still counts as victory, though. Belselk tells Jack to come back when he's a bit more of a challenge…

The scene then shifts to the East Plaza, back where the Ruin Festival was being held, which seems to have made it through the firestorm pretty well considering there's no obvious damage - no inhabitants either, though. A horde of flying bat-demons grab onto the three golems and lift them into the air to steal them away, complaining about their boss along the way. Belselk is a slave driver - why do they have to lug this junk back? The demons have to do what they're told, so they've got to get this done… That means the demons now have three of the golems in their possession, at least, as well as the magic gemstone of the royal family… that's not going to be a problem, I'm sure.

Back inside the castle, we catch up with our crew as they revisit the King at his bedside. Cecilia apologizes for going against her father's wishes, and explains that the Tear Drop is now in enemy hands. The King accepts everything that's happened, but insists that the Tear Drop must not be used for evil. Cecilia tells her father not to strain himself by talking, and confirms that it's her responsibility to somehow reclaim the Tear Drop.

Minister Johan is upset at hearing this, but Cecilia stands firm in her decision. Adlehyde's resources should be conserved for the sake of reconstructing the town. Meanwhile, she and her trusty new friends will help her to reclaim the treasure that was taken! She turns to Rudy and Jack to ask for their assistance - for the sake of the future of Filgaia! Jack says he understands what needs to happen, and figured Rudy agrees with him - they were going to volunteer anyway.

Jack then immediately turns around and argues that Cecilia should stay here - she'd just slow them down! If he'd known who she was, he would have thought twice about working with her. He's never trusted royalty - never will. He kind of had an idea of what was going on, of course, but Cecilia still hasn't actually told them the truth from her own mouth. She likes to hide her identity and roam the land, huh? How romantic. Feh, he says they can count him out if he has to deal with that. Johan is upset at the Dream Chaser's words, but Cecilia apologizes to Jack for her behavior - she explains that people tend to become distant if they find out the truth - and she was just lonely. Still, her passion to save Filgaia is no lie! How can she convince him of that?

The King regains consciousness and calls for Cecilia again, and she asks Jack for permission to use his sword. He is weirded out by this and asks what she wants to do with it - it's far too heavy for her! She insists, and as she holds the heavy blade she muses that what she feels now is the weight of destiny. Jack asks to have his weapon back, while Johan proclaims that she can't support it on her own! That's when Cecilia grasps the blade and chops through her long hair, severing her locks as a symbol of parting with her past.

She pleads again for Jack to join her in reclaiming peace, and he warns her that if she does this and heads out with them, there will be no turning back… The King just tells his daughter to be strong - and to protect what is hers. These are his last words.

So… that was a lot. Cecilia's decision to hand off that gem was dumb, but she's stepping up to the plate here.

Cutting off hair in ancient Asia symbolized being banished or rejected from your home. In modern times, cutting long hair into a short cut still means to forget the past, leaving the old and starting anew. Cecilia clearly feels trapped in her role as Princess, lonely and unable to make meaningful connections, and she's unwilling to just be the sort of royal Jack evidently mistrusts, the type to lie to people's face. She symbolically leaves that all behind to join her friends and take on the world as Cecilia, just another ruffian on the road. She gets an actual different sprite out of it, too! She finally got that personality I was looking for in her introduction, we just had to wait a while! In a sense, Cecilia chooses to become a Dream Chaser herself, here, it just took her a little longer than the others… Incidentally, Jack just handing off his sword to the magic chick who has never held one before like 'let's see where she's going with this' is great.

As everyone stands around the bed of the deceased king, unsure of what to do now, Minister Johan declares that they can't just sit around feeling sad - they must honor the dead, both their beloved king and the men who fought so bravely to keep the demons at bay. He then leaves the room to start making preparations, and the scene shifts to the outside of the castle as the narrator reappears once again to declare that three separate agendas gather here today with one common goal. The stage is now set for the fall of Filgaia - and the real story starts here! That took a while…

We watch a procession of knights carry the casket with the king's dead body down the steps of the town, a procession led by a black-clothed Cecilia and Minister Johan. They pass rows of knights who raise their swords in a ceremonial gesture, as well as many regular citizens, some of whom are carrying unadorned caskets of their own, presumably for all the regular people who died in the attack. Credits begin to roll here - yes, all this stuff was ultimately just the introduction to this game, its first act. Time to get this show on the road.

Partway through the introduction, the camera stops following the king's casket and focuses on a girl clutching a red ball in her hands, probably referencing that boy with the red balloon, a victim of the attack that we were unable to save.

The husband survived, at least, and between that and the relatively unscathed festival ground, it might mean that most of the people in town survived the attack by escaping town - most of the inhabitants of Adlehyde had gone to visit the festival, after all. Given that the intent is to rebuild the town, I assume many of the people resettling will be those who lost their homes in the blaze. The girl joins Jack and Rudy who are watching from the side of the path as Cecilia makes her way to the Guardians church in town and heads inside alongside the row of caskets, and the screen fades to black.

And that's the moment we get, at long last, our title drop.

Last edited:
Wild Arms (Part 9) - Mountain Pass to Milama

Adlehyde Aftermath

We skip forward a week - it's ambiguous if this is after the invasion or after the funeral - where we rejoin Jack and Rudy as they wake up from a nap in a guestroom in the castle, ready to get moving. Jack argues that this is their destiny - the three of them, going after the monsters together! Impatiently he argues they should really just go fetch the princess already, since they're running out of time just waiting around! In one corner of the screen there's another small inlay depicting Cecilia - she's currently up in her room, it looks like, and dressed rather differently than before with a red hair band and a skirt rather than an unwieldy dress. Switching is not possible, though.

We can explore the castle again, which now reflects a post-invasion world-state - one guard tells us where to find the princess's room, but since we already went through this whole place before, I know exactly where to go. Some of the people around have information about a new location they're willing to share, apropos of nothing - it's some kind of mountain pass which was formerly taken over by bandits who stole a magical map which records locations you've already visited. Neat, wanna guess where we'll be heading next?

We can also speak to Minister Johan in the briefing room, and he brings a metric ton of loot with him. I'm fairly certain each of the ten treasure chests in the room represents one of the people you can save from the demon attack, and since I got all of them I get a lot of goodies, including a nice 1600 gella, a Luck-boosting accessory, and a slew of consumables. Neat!

After finishing my rounds I go to Cecilia's room, and she's quite pleased to see us, asking if we like her new hair - it's a lot easier to manage like this! Her clothes also make it easier to move!

She figures she can't just sit and cry forever, and she's just waiting for the rainbow after the rain stops, now. She promises she'll be strong again, and asks if we'll take her with us, and this time even Jack agrees without reservation. I head back to the briefing room afterwards, and Johan is happy to see us all together again, mentioning that he hates that we're the ones carrying the burden by ourselves, but that the future depends on our journey…

Cecilia promises him that things will be alright - she'll reclaim the Tear Drop from the demons, for the glory of Adlehyde and Filgaia! She mentions that Stoldark, the Guardian of Water, spoke to her about the dangers. If he insists that she is the Shaman Princess of the Guardians, then she is proud to be this 'Innocent One!' Johan is amazed at the mention of her vision, and concludes that there is no doubt now. Cecilia must follow her destiny and go west, through the Mountain Pass (Aha!) to find the town of Milama. There, she'll find a large shrine - if she is truly the Innocent One, that's where she needs to go! Cecilia admits that she knows nothing about being a shaman, really, but if she can be of any help she'll deal with whatever is expected of her. Johan instructs us to find the western cave by following the signs posted around the world map, and then pass through the mountains from there. Sure thing! Let's get going!

Before leaving I make my way through the ruined town at the castle's base, and discover that the hospital is actually a bit more populated now. Makes sense! One patient mentions that he's been injured, sure, but he's honestly more worried about this hospital than the monster which put him here!

Another patient says he doesn't think he has many days remaining - not after that foul drink he was forced to take just now! In the far bed, the perpetually sick guy now insists that actually he's not sick at all! Why is he even here? The doctor is none too pleased with suddenly having so many patients, of course…

I also find the statue of Zeldukes - it's been desecrated, unfortunately.

Mountain Pass

After leaving behind the destroyed town of Adlehyde, it's time to head westwards towards that mountain pass. It's pretty much the only point of interest in that direction besides the ruin from Jack's origin story. At the entrance of the cave network we encounter a military barricade, but the guards let us through because they're from Adlehyde and knew about our arrival - they were probably stationed here to keep an eye out for those bandits. One of them warns me about dangerous winds in the pass...

Not much further into the cave, the darkness of the passageways becomes oppressive, and only a tiny circle of light is visible around us - which makes navigating a bit of an issue, especially since there's toxic plants around which can harm you if stepped on. After stumbling around blindly for a bit I find a lighter on the ground - and it turns out that's a brand new [Tool] which Jack can use to light temporary fires in some lanterns, or to burn certain obstacles along the way. Convenient!

The actual 'dungeon' here is pretty simplistic - it's just a whole bunch of dead ends with a single long path which loops around all the way to the south-west. Passing through more of these dark caverns, we have to bomb a few rocks, light the occasional lantern to lead the way, and avoid the poisonous-on-touch plantlife by shooting any chests among them with Hanpan. Eventually the path leads us to a barren mountainside - the mountain pass itself.

There, on a tall land bridge which gives me strong Mount of Ordeals vibes, we discover a patch of strong winds which give Jack pause. He stops, pondering, and decides that these gusts of wind are significant in some way… If he could harness their power!

With that I unlock a new Fast Draw hint, a way to get Jack's sword technique equivalent to Rudy's ARMs or Cecilia's fancy spells. Jack's techniques are all discovered by visiting special overworld locations, and you then have to use these new '???' attacks successfully in battle to learn the details of what they actually do - basically Jack has to invent his own new moves. Upping your luck stat helps in increasing the odds of that happening. This particular hint is for Sonic Buster, a pretty useful attack since it hits all enemies with wind damage.

After crossing the pass the party has to delve through another darkened cavern, lighting more lanterns along the way - they only stay lit for a brief window of time, so you have to hustle through - until we finally get towards the other end of this mini-dungeon. There's no boss, just like in the sewers in Adlehyde, but the various hidden side-paths lead to a host of minor items, including some more Crest Graphs to get Cecilia some much-needed spell variety. Between her scope of powers and Jack's sheer physical might, Rudy's a bit of a standout here - if not for his ARMs super-moves, he'd be pretty useless in battle compared to the others. Anyway, not all spells are frequently useful, but there's a variety of elements to cover, and the defensive buffs are invaluable against bosses. Plus she handles the healing, of course! The 'Mystic' Force ability is a godsend for turning one healing herb into group healing on demand.

Also missable, for some utterly bizarre reason, is that 'magic map' mentioned before - it basically allows you to see the various world locations you've been to on the map as little lights, but at the moment there's obviously not many since we haven't really been around much. I'm not sure why they decided to make this pretty obscure function an optional unlock in a side-path of a dungeon hidden behind a bombable map, but sure! I guess it's not necessary.

Milama

Exiting the cave, we arrive on the overworld near the village of Milama - which is large, rich, and full of water!

Indeed, the world map itself seems a little more vibrant and less desert-like on this side of the mountain range. We've reached the oasis of the world! Time to have a look around… One man confirms that this region still has some natural resources left, but if you go across the mountains to the east - where we just came from - it's all just sand! An old man comments that if we're headed for the Guardian Temple to the north, we should maybe hit the pub first, as the owner might know something about it. Somewhat blatant as hints go, but okay!

In a house with a pair of squabbling children, I also find a book:

The Tale of the Sheriff: True bravery will be rewarded with the [Sheriff's] title. The bravery badge is called a [Sheriff Star]. Do you understand?​

Endgame item for winning some challenge, I'm guessing? Elsewhere in town a man laments that nothing remains of the deep Guardian worship that used to happen in this place, and that there's a strange pyramid far to the north, but nobody could enter the chambers inside because the door was magically sealed. Neat. There's also a boy tending to his overly excitable grandpa who is apparently a Jedi, because he declares that he can kill monsters with one strike of the [Force]!

Someone also reiterates that the pub owner claims to be the son of a Guardian priest, but he personally doesn't believe it. I guess that explains why I should talk to him, huh? If you ask around some more, you also learn that the shrine of the Guardians lies abandoned, and nobody really goes there anymore. Some wonder if the people have simply lost faith…

After stocking up on items at the shops and upgrading my gear, I decide to hit up that pub everyone's talking about. A patron tells me that there's a town called the Ship Graveyard somewhere to the far east, beyond the desolate ocean made of sand - from what she hears, only the best Dream Chasers will get through the cave to get there! The pub owner himself has no time to talk to us since he's on the job, but we get the option to ask him about the Guardian Shrine anyway. He's actually surprised that anyone even remembers the Guardians! Weird. I guess Milama is where all the atheists hang out?

The barman then tells us to grab a bite to eat while we wait out the clock, as he's willing to sit down with us to discuss matters after closing time. Cecilia immediately orders five hamburgers, and the man is understandably caught off guard and wonders who's going to eat them all… The scene fades. When we return, Jack is impressed, or appalled, at the fact that Cecilia somehow managed to eat seconds. She then helpfully explains that magic casting requires a lot of energy, that's why she's always hungry after battle. Also, she really loves hamburgers! She learned to enjoy eating and cooking hamburgers at the abbey. Guess that explains those comments from earlier, huh…?

Cecilia continues to reflect on her past, and reveals some of her insecurity when she muses that everyone loves her because she's a princess, but not because of who she actually is… Still, if people need her because of what she symbolizes, then she'll do what's asked of her - she will retrieve the Tear Drop! I assume growing up at the abbey was difficult for Cecilia, given that she lacked any anonymity there and everyone had big expectations of her - she didn't seem like she had any friends there, just a few people making fun of her. This whole rebellious streak of running out to save the world on her own is probably a manifestation of her insecurity, then - trying to find an identity of her own that's not just what other people expect of her.

Unfortunately, she bungled her way straight into being the freaking Chosen One of the gods with even heavier expectations than being a royal. Oof. I'm interested to see if she sees the futility of her rebellion here, or if it's different because this time she actually has friends to share that load…?

The owner of the pub finally closes up shop and says he's ready to discuss the matter at hand - the Guardians! He explains to the party that there is a room at the Temple up north that only priests were ever permitted to see, and his father made him memorize the password to the room, probably believing he'd be the next priest - though his son never did follow that calling and became a barman instead.

The password is, in fact, the clue to a riddle:

'Light the fire at 2, then at 10. When you light the fire at 6, the doors will open at 12. Go through the temple with the light.'

The owner doesn't know exactly what it means, but he's sure we'll be able to find out. He also gives us something else to take along, something his father left behind which he doesn't need anymore. It's a Holy Medal, which functions as the key to the shrine. With everything we need in hand, it's time for us to leave town again and head northwards towards that old abandoned temple, built on a small island in the middle of a lake just a short distance from town...

Next up: did someone ask for character development? For everyone? Coming right up! @ApocalypticFish - I'm gonna guess you'll have comments on that one.

Cecilia apologizes to Jack for her behavior - she explains that people tend to become distant if they find out the truth - and she was just lonely.
Cutting off hair in ancient Asia symbolized being banished or rejected from your home. In modern times, cutting long hair into a short cut still means to forget the past, leaving the old and starting anew. Cecilia clearly feels trapped in her role as Princess, lonely and unable to make meaningful connections, and she's unwilling to just be the sort of royal Jack evidently mistrusts, the type to lie to people's face. She symbolically leaves that all behind to join her friends and take on the world as Cecilia, just another ruffian on the road. She gets an actual different sprite out of it, too! She finally got that personality I was looking for in her introduction, we just had to wait a while! In a sense, Cecilia chooses to become a Dream Chaser herself, here, it just took her a little longer than the others… Incidentally, Jack just handing off his sword to the magic chick who has never held one before like 'let's see where she's going with this' is great.
Yeah, remember this?
There's a detail I want to point out that I feel comes up at some point, but that gets signs pointing to it from as early as this introductory section for Cecilia. I'll refrain for now, even in spoilers though.
Pretty much everyone in the Abbey, to varying degrees, refers to her as a princess iirc. There's some ribbing, but you get people being concerned about the future of the country from how she acts, the prophecy-thing which the nun talks about, and even the ribbing is about something fairly shallow. She doesn't appear to really have any friends, either.

It's not perfect, but then, she's been living there for several years. Some amount of familiarity is to be expected.
welp that's it, game's over, kinda weird it ended right as it was getting started but I guess that's fine, it was pretty good while it lasted--
Also missable, for some utterly bizarre reason, is that 'magic map' mentioned before - it basically allows you to see the various world locations you've been to on the map as little lights, but at the moment there's obviously not many since we haven't really been around much. I'm not sure why they decided to make this pretty obscure function an optional unlock in a side-path of a dungeon hidden behind a bombable map, but sure! I guess it's not necessary.
I think WA2 includes it as part of your normal map? Could be misremembering.
The scene fades. When we return, Jack is impressed, or appalled, at the fact that Cecilia somehow managed to eat seconds. She then helpfully explains that magic casting requires a lot of energy, that's why she's always hungry after battle. Also, she really loves hamburgers! She learned to enjoy eating and cooking hamburgers at the abbey. Guess that explains those comments from earlier, huh…?
I actually wasn't sure when this was said when it came up earlier, so I had to look it up on the script FAQ to see if you just missed it or not. You didn't, so I didn't make any comment about it at the time.

Wild Arms (Part 10) - Temple of the Guardians

Dungeon: Temple of the Guardians

Let's head to character insight central!

Inside the temple, statues of armed angels are placed around a fancily decorated room, and the large door in the middle has a note which proclaims that when the time comes, you must show the sign! The Holy Medal doesn't do anything, though. If you take one of the side-passages in this room you can reach an upper level which has a dozen braziers standing in a circle. It looks kind of like a clock, doesn't it? Sure enough, using the clue given by the barman and the door, this puzzle is easy enough to solve - we just pretend the braziers are the numbers on a clock, and run over to the second, tenth, sixth and twelfth in order and light them up for all the rest to spring alight at once. Afterwards you can head back to the door downstairs and show off the medal, and it'll permit passage into the deeper floors…

Part of this dungeon is mirrored, so if you do stuff on the left side, you can do mirrored things on the other for exactly the same rewards. This includes grabbing two new Crest Graphs (nice) and a few other pieces of miscellaneous loot. Deeper into the dungeon, there's also another puzzle room with braziers, but in that case lighting one brazier locks off part of the room with barriers, which means you can only light them all in a very specific order. Due to the limitations of which braziers are accessible, however, it's a quick process of elimination before you know which is the proper one to activate first - the one at the top right. From there it's just a matter of running around and lighting everything until the next door finally swings open.

We soon reach a door with a full size mirror on it, and a ball of light beckons Cecilia to enter - it's Stoldark sending her a message. She hops into the mirror and disappears, and Rudy and Jack briefly wonder what to do, before deciding to just yeet themselves through as well, off into the great unknown…

When the scene returns, it turns out each of the three party members got separated by the mirror, and popped up on similar-looking ledges over a deep pit. The game helpfully informs the player that the next segments have to be played solo by each character, and switching over to one of the others is as easy as using the same menu that contains the tools. These are three challenge gauntlets which reflect the abilities of each of the three characters, though none of them are terribly hard - they're just a bit of a final test of the basic Tools that everyone has gathered thus far.

Jack's segment is very easy - it's just a lot of flinging Hanpan around to activate switches, including a few diagonal throws - nothing too complicated. At the end of his path he finds a sword stuck in the ground, and Jack is immediately convinced that this sword contains the [Power] that he's been seeking and goes to pull it out, declaring that now he can have his revenge! This is [Absolute Power]!

Suddenly the sword catches on fire in his hands and fades away, and a confused Jack finds himself lost in darkness… a vast nothingness that's like a dream.

A bluish circle of light then appears under Jack's feet, and he wonders if someone is there in the darkness - they should come out, whoever they are! He's soon surrounded by six shadows, people covered by darkness, and Jack is shocked by what he perceives, recognizing them somehow.

Voices call Jack out for being the one who ran - he's a sword who seeks power, but who refuses to use it! Jack argues that he's never run from anything before - he has accepted every challenge he's faced! The voices snarl that he ran from his friends and responsibilities - and most of all, he ran from himself. Doesn't he get it? A [coward] can destroy, but true power is the power of protection! Jack argues that he knows that, he really does, which is why he's seeking it. He asks the specters to be patient. When the ghosts leave him, Jack panics - he's going to be alone again? He reappears by himself on a small patch of land, back in the real world, and waits for the others to join him…

Okay, holy shit, I am so slow on the uptake. The voices call Jack out for being a coward who ran away, as someone who seeks some sort of power for revenge but is chided for it, as they state he should use his power to protect instead of destroying things like a coward would. Those are Elmina's lines, rephrased, from the introduction to this game! There our old buddy Garrett ran away from Arctica, a 'sword' of the kingdom abandoning his kingdom. Jack is Garrett! The power Jack's been searching for all this time is the might required to take down the demons which destroyed his kingdom - and that's why he was so vicious against Belselk, seeking vengeance for Arctica (and for Elmina.) No wonder he's been digging into old ruins, either - he's looking for anti-demon weapons! He does have a dark backstory I expected, and I just completely failed to make the connection even when I speculated he was from Arctica? Well, I guess they got me.

Cecilia is up next - time for more character-redefinining developments? Because she doesn't really have a tool of her own yet, and since her Tear Drop is missing, her challenges mostly revolve around pushing blocks. Riveting!

At the end of her sequence, the scene suddenly transforms into Adlehyde Castle. Minister Johan is there, and he declares that the princess herself is coming to save the world! May the Guardians be with her! He then announces that the princess is responsible for being a princess - because it's the title which serves as a symbol here. It's far more important than Cecilia herself! That's why nobody calls her by name, you see… They don't really care about her. The King appears and agrees with the Minister, declaring that his daughter must know by now that nobody loves her, so why act so surprised…?

Finally a duplicate of Cecilia herself appears, wearing the dress and long hair from the opening of the game, and she announces that Cecilia claimed she requested this dangerous adventure because she wanted to be loved by someone, but she's really just going off to save the world because it's her duty as a princess. What she really wants here is sympathy, isn't it? Her other self calls her a hypocrite for continuing to both reject and also use her privilege. No one loves her, but she doesn't love anyone either - it's time for her to wake up!

As Cecilia crumples to the floor, overcome by her insecurities, before the scene fades and she appears alongside Jack on the small patch of land. When Cecilia speaks to him, he muses that the Guardians apparently caused them both to have flashbacks or visions - but why would they do that? Are they even on humanity's side!?

Okay, so, I was not wrong. Cecilia's insecurities are put on full display here - and her loneliness recontextualized. It's not just that people treat her like this special somebody on a pedestal, but Cecilia witholds herself from making those connections as well. She's so convinced that everyone just treats her decently because of her status that she won't even let any of them try to make a connection. She's isolating herself, simultaneously lamenting her loneliness while also being the source of her loneliness - cursing her royal birth, but also relying on that status to keep herself apart. Cecilia's… not okay, is she? And even her hallucinations call out that while she might claim to be on this journey to find herself, she's still treating it as her duty. She might claim to be a free-spirited wanderer now, but really she still believes this is all just another layer of obligation to fulfill… And then the gods showed up to make her the Chosen One? Yikes.

Rudy is the last in line, and his gameplay gauntlet is all about blowing up blocks of stone with bombs to find a path through a maze. At the end he reaches a room with a small boy standing in front of several tall mirrors. It's Tony from the intro sequence, who declares that the monsters are coming!

After Rudy holds off a red monster, however, Tony snarls that Rudy himself is just as scary as the monsters - his powers are not like theirs! Other villagers then appear and declare that there is no place for Rudy in this world, that he's not needed here, nobody wants to be with him… he's a stranger. Who is he fighting for, exactly? What does it prove to use one's powers to help people? He's still distancing himself from people! One of the villagers then says that ARMs contain a form of energy that is different from the one found in humans - which means they could have originally belonged to the demons! That makes Rudy just another monster, someone they don't want in Filgaia! This world isn't for him - he doesn't belong here! Rudy walks over to the mirror, and his reflection has changed, now identical to the red monster he slew before… The people fade away as Rudy crumples to the floor, only for the scene to fade.

We've… seen this. This exact moment. Jack was confronted by ghosts of his past, and Cecilia haunted by her insecurities… but Rudy's nightmare is now. It happened maybe a week or two ago - he found himself an outcast, exiled for doing the right thing, or for making a mistake. But what he took away from it was that they saw him as less than human. As no better than the monsters and demons he fights. This is reflected in his use of ARMs, then - if the golems were created by studying demon technology, then what about those ancient relics? Humanity took the weapons of its enemy to fight them, and here Rudy is seen as a demon himself for picking up those guns again. Someone they don't want in Filgaia - someone who doesn't belong anywhere… Ouch.

With all three heroes back together, thoroughly unsettled by their experiences, a new voice begins to speak, asking if this is the girl that Stoldark has chosen. It's one of the other elemental Guardians, Gurdijeff the Earth Dragon. A second voice answers that she has a weak mind - the weakening of the world is really the weakening of the human soul!

Do they really want to let this one decide Filgaia's destiny? This voice is Moa Gault, the Fire Bird. A third voice muses that they have no choice. Jack gets fed up with all this stuff that apparently only Cecilia can hear and sense in her heart - the voices and emotions of the Guardians, their anger and rage, their doubt and sorrow. Jack just shouts that they should show themselves already, and stop toying around with them!

The world fades to black after that, and Gurdijeff reveals himself - and he's basically Space Godzilla. Moa Gault appears next, a rubber chicken with fiery Phoenix wings. The third voice declares that he looked into our souls, and they're weak and vulnerable, not strong enough to defeat the demons who they have been fighting for a thousand years. He is revealed to be Fengalon, the Wind Guardian, a derpy tiger sitting in a tornado. Together they are the remaining spirits of the four elemental Guardians, since Stoldark is already with us in the form of a Rune. And they need help! Not that they'll be gracious about it.

Gurdijeff opines that Fengalon may be right about our weak souls - we look defeated already by those visions we received. Nevertheless, we are the Guardians' only hope! Jack, annoyed by this, declares that he's not deaf or blind, and he demands to know why these spirits have been showing them all these nasty illusions. What's that about? The Guardians don't really answer his question, but instead explain that they do not have enough power to fight the demons directly without the Tear Drop - its power is needed to defend Filgaia. Cecilia wonders how they know about its loss, and they explain that they can sense it, for it shines with the same light that gives them life. It's the key to their existence!

Cecilia asks what exactly the demons want with the Tear Drop. Do they want to destroy the world with it? Gurdijeff confirms that with the artifact in question, that is certainly possible. The demons are, however, trying to do something else with it first - they mean to use it to revive their old master, the Mother! The Guardians then ask if we're still looking for their power, and Cecilia confirms that we can't possibly defeat the demons by ourselves. Jack just says he wants the power to win. The Guardians parse this and conclude that we seek power because we are weak… and they'll oblige us, as time is running out. We unlock the ability to summon the Guardians into reality, and all three declare that they'll turn themselves over to us as Runes before they weaken any further.

We are then tasked with stopping the demons from regenerating the Mother, and the Guardians promise that they'll make sure the three of us get to their lair. Cecilia wonders how exactly that works, and they explain that they can still sense the power of the Tear Drop, and the only way a warrior with a weak mind is able to defeat the enemy is by striking at its heart. So come now, and show our faith by taking a leap! To reclaim the Tear Drop, they…

The vision abruptly cuts out, the spirits fading away.

Our three heroes, very confused, wander around the little platform aimlessly, with no clue as to what just happened. Finally the reedy voice of Gurdijeff resurfaces, explaining that what interrupted the communication was a shockwave from the Dark Spear of Zeikfried, one of the vile demons. While the Guardians are not strong enough to transport us to battle directly, Gurdijeff promises he'll still guide us towards our destiny. We must prevent Mother's rebirth! Cecilia calls out to the spirit, just as the screen fades to white. The Tear Drop, Gurdijeff declares, is a source of life - it must not be used for the birth of destruction…!

Villain HQ

We suddenly change perspectives to a strange room that's somewhat similar to the one from the end of Jack's introduction - it features a technological platform with various conduits running from it, several tall stasis tubes full of bubbling liquids, and a floor consisting of hexagonal plates which seems to depict the sky, and possibly a blast crater directly below. We meet Zeikfried, the knight-like demon from the end of the opening scene of the game, who is angry that Gurdijeff managed to scan this area with his mind. Suddenly a new person arrives, the human-looking red-haired Lady Harken, who says that the scan has been stopped - the Duke's mansion is superb! (Editor's note: I'm fairly sure this is a mangled reference to the late-game area Malduke, in which case that's actually pretty clever foreshadowing.)

Still, now they know that humans are in contact with the Guardians! Zeikfried then muses that when the fight is lost, the decay begins - just look at this place! The Earth is a dying land of cowards! Humans, Elws, and the Guardians - none of their defenses remain effective. They don't even have a world to defend anymore! The demons have nothing to fear from the Guardians now. Alhazad fades into existence and concurs with his Lord, stating that now that the Elws are no longer helping humanity, they don't stand a chance. Belselk also enters the room and observes that when he saw the humans squirm in the flames of Adlehyde, he could feel his power rising…

Lady Harken critiques Belselk, stating that they could have gotten the Tear Drop with far less destruction, but Belselk is offended at criticism by the newbie of the group. Zeikfried intercedes and tells them both to stop it - the Quarter Knights gather for a single purpose, to break the seal which binds their leader, the Mother - not to squabble amongst themselves!

The dreaded Guardian seal must be undone! Belselk decides to take responsibility for dealing with this task and walks out, after which Alhazad fades away, complaining that there's no reason he should get all the fun. Lady Harken disappears without a word, leaving Zeikfried to tell Mother that when she finally wakes, he's not sure the rest of the Quarter Knights will share their dreams. The camera pans up to reveal that Zeikfried is speaking to the Cocoon from the opening, the chrysalis and prison of Mother…

The Quartet Knights are, I think, a not too subtle nod to the Four Fiends from the early Final Fantasy games - we've already had a preview of Belselk, but I expect Lady Harken and Alhazad to show up as bossfights too, which Zeikfried coming across as more of an endgame boss faced just before Mother does her thing. We'll see how accurate I am about that. Incidentally, I did notice that the location the demons are holed up in shares nearly identical design features with that Elw dungeon Jack was previous exploring - did they coopt an Elw installation of some kind, or did the Elws leave a warning message on old demon technology? Or is this yet more of this 'let's copy their tech to use against them' that we've seen with the golems...?

Next time... let's get our Chosen One journey on in the land of uncomfortable ethnic stereotypes and Final Fantasy IV flashbacks.

It's always nice to have the heroes do a face the mirror thing, although I would have held off a bit longer to let the heroes get some more losses under their belt before needing to confront their deep seated emotional issues.

Still, tally-ho!

It's always nice to have the heroes do a face the mirror thing, although I would have held off a bit longer to let the heroes get some more losses under their belt before needing to confront their deep seated emotional issues.

This is the start of Act 2, though, and these glimpses don't actually resolve anything... all three of the heroes succumb to their inner demons. This is more a revelation of what's actually going on under the hood, presumably whatever they'll have to work through during the game. Rudy needs to learn how to accept who he is, Jack needs to learn to put aside vengeance in favor of protecting another, and Cecilia needs to discover self-worth and to make connections. Seems legit!

Or, you know, they could learn how to kick god's ass.

Back