Let's Play Every Final Fantasy Game In Order Of Release [Now Playing: FFVIII]

…Irvine, who shows up, shoots down the guard, tries to do a dramatic slow-walk in, and gets kicked in the butt by Rinoa which causes him to roll down a set of stairs while she berates him for not agreeing to come with her earlier. When she sees Squall, Rinoa has a bit of internal monologue where she's simultaneously relieved to see he's alive and trying to convince herself she knew it all along.

We knew Irvine was a ridiculous poser from his introduction, but now we're past the reveal from when he couldn't make the assassination shot initially, which means we can get characters dunking on his attempts to look cool.

It is kinda weird that this structure is in fact fully emerged, considering we just said it was buried underground? But I guess it emerged at some point during our escape. The big secret of the D-District Prison, it seems, is that it is mounted on giant drills, so that it can either bury itself underground or rise into the sky depending on what is most convenient at the time. Prisoners heading down? Bury the whole thing in the sand. Fugitives heading up? Just pull the whole thing out and leave them dangling at five hundred feet. It's a… 'Clever' design is a little excessive, but in terms of overblown, excessive displays of fascist power and wealth, it does the job.

I think the bottom door is an emergency panel of some kind, and is never actually useable under normal circumstances. I think the gimmick is that the prison is only accessible when submerged, and it only does this to let people into/out of the prison. When in the air there's no way off, thus making it an 'inescapable' prison. As long as the guards can retain control of the main mechanism, even a riot can't go anywhere. Plus we know that Galbadia have flying power armour and mechanical units, so in an emergency military forces could provide support from the outside.

A massive over-engineered boondoggle of a prison for political prisoners, but absolutely something that a state like Galbadia and Deling would do as a show of 'strength'

"Sorceress Edea… Now she's what I call a queen. Oh… What strength. What power. She's beautiful."

...It's all beginning to make sense. This is why they had a clear copy of the Arc de Triomphe, and they're full of people who simp for powerful women stepping on them. We're in Omicron country.

Carraway: "We were afraid of Esthar. We occupied other countries to build up a force. Things have been going awry ever since then."

It's interesting that you've commented on how the Gardens seem to have become prominent by acting in reaction to Galbadia, when it seems that Galbadia became what it is itself in reaction to Esthar.

What this means in practice is rather convoluted and takes me several attempts to figure out. What he means is that we have to throw a game using the Ifrit card, so that he'll then take our Ifrit, and only then will he start playing the Rinoa Card, which we must then win in the normal way. Because Galbadia is still under 'Random' rules, this would take an impossible amount of time to do if I still had my full collection; as things are it merely takes a dozen attempts to both draw Ifrit, lose the match on purpose, and not accidentally play a card the AI decides it wants more than Ifrit, such as Diablos.

I'm afraid you will struggle to proceed much further on your path without learning the Deep Magic. Namely the secret mechanics for manipulating the card games rules. By strategically playing games in certain regions and also losing cards to the Card Queen you can change the rules of Regions. The most common strategy which people follow is to permanently kill the Random rule from the world entirely, and generally also to spread Open and Same as well.

Heading back to the missile launcher room, more guards ask us what's going on and ask us for help if we continue to bluff, which has served us well so far. The power has gone out, so they need help manually slotting the launcher into place, which we do with another QTE.

I do love that on the best version of the missile base run when you're only exposed at the end, the game forces you to participate in preparing the attack that you're here to stop. It does wonderfully for building tension, because you don't want to blow your cover, but also what you're doing makes the danger more prominent.

Specifically, he identified us because our salute was wrong

This guy definitely accuses soldiers of being spys all the time, he just got lucky on this occasion.

But this is now the third time in this game that our team takes out a Galbadian squad, moves on, and then the officer finds the strength to crawl to some comm device and trigger the Black Widow Mech/the prison monsters/whatever's coming our way now. At some point it's getting obnoxious.

It is a bit, but I will excuse it in this case specifically because the party is racing the clock.

At first, I just assume I am missing the obvious next action, but no. There is no action to take. There is nowhere to go. We can't find a door to interact with. We can't leave through these massive steel gates. All we can is just run around like headless chickens until an arbitrary amount of time has passed and…

This is video games doing something that no other medium can do. Much like you discussed in FF7 with Cloud at the forgotten capital, the illusion of control can be illustrative like nothing else. Here, the game lets you retain control, so you think that there is something you can do. It puts you in the shoes of the characters, desperately looking for an escape, some option, some action you can take, until you realize that there is nothing.

Last time, Selphie, Quistis and Irvine were presumed lost in the destruction of the Galbadia Missile Base. Now, we are back with Squall, Rinoa and Zell, who have just arrived in Balamb Garden (no word on how they did the trip).

It does bring up a lot of questions, but would cut the urgency if it showed a bunch of irrelevant interstitial scenes right now.

Incidentally, if we choose to swear allegiance to NORG, the guy lets us go through without a fight - however, I don't want to end up accidentally locking myself into having to fight other students if it turns out that's required to keep up the pretense

Unlike the missile base, in this case every scene with the Faculty where you have a choice operates independently, so you're never committed, though it ultimately makes little difference.

It's really interesting how we're seeing a split between people who believed in Balamb Garden as an institution, who care about its teachers or students, and people who seem to have treated it in a purely cold-blooded fashion, as an instrument of some conspiracy.

Worth noting it was the Faculty who cut Cid off when he started talking to Seifer saying he wanted them to be able to make independent decisions, and now they're running around demanding blind obedience again.

We are greeted by another student labeled as Nida, a name I've never heard before, and Squall asks him pretty rudely who he is, whereupon it turns out it's the fourth student from the graduation ceremony, you know, the only other guy to make it into SeeD, who was on the same exam and at the same ceremony as Squall, who plain doesn't recognize him.

You thought he was in the game for a one-off gag, but here he is again!

So what does Meltdown do? "Target receives damage under Vit 0. Also causes Vit 0." Given that in VI, Meltdown was a self-destruct spell, I'm worried what this means. Well, it turns out this information is incomplete; what "Vit 0" means is that Meltdown deals damage and sets its target's Vitality and Spirit to 0, those being the resistance stats of the game. So it sets the enemy's Defense values to 0.

This is… probably really good?

One of the best spells in the game, notably for not only retaining use into the endgame, but also improving effectively. As enemies and bosses get beefier their defence stats get chunkier as well, effectively making Vit 0 a more and more useful status. Also worth nothing that it doesn't expire with time, and that enemies are incapable of curing it.

Oh yeah, baby. It's T-Rexaur time.

Very funny moment to hit this if you've been lucky previously and never encountered them in the training centre.

It's truly incredible to me that this guy can watch the whole school busy trying to kill each other and go 'I, an enlightened centrist, understand that there are good people on both sides.

I mean we've seen that Squall's identity is tied up in being the cold professional mercenary who completes the mission, who obeys orders without judgement, because as mercenaries they cannot be blamed for their actions. Unironically I can see Squall complaining that they've ruined Balamb Garden by bringing politics into things. :p

How was this not the very first place the Faculty looked up? How are they not placed there right now, just in case there's something useful to be found in the headmaster's own office?

He's the head of the school for the most elite mercenary force on the planet. The group that can fight wars, conduct sabotage, infiltrate as spies, and assassinate heads of state. Do you expect the Faculty to seriously believe the Headmaster of that institution would hide under his desk in his office, the first place they'll look for him? Of course not, it would be beneath his no doubt impeccable dignity, so they didn't even bother to check such an embarrassing hiding spot.

Squall: [He steps forward.] "Sir, I'd like to handle whatever it is that you're planning."
Headmaster Cid: "And why is that?"
Squall, mentally: "(...I don't know… Because you might screw up.)"
Squall, mentally: "(…Because I want to do more than announce the evacuation.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this place is important to me, too.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because I want to find out your plan.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this is my home.)"
Squall, mentally: "(I have too many reasons. I don't know why… Who cares?)"
Squall: "My feelings have nothing to do with it, sir."

Squall continually put off by people showing their humanity and emotions in front of him. He wants Cid to give him a firm decisive order, not waffle about the emotions that drive him to do it.

I don't know what an 'oil stratum' is supposed to be in this context.

It should definitely be 'residue' rather than 'stratum'. To indicate that the entire area is heavily stained with it.

Listen, we've seen giant glass tubes in both VI and VII at this point, and in both cases they were very bad news. What the fuck was going on in this building? And why is the aesthetic so much grungier, more, like… Rusted dieselpunk?

The aesthetic is great. We're clearly in some sort of 'lost forgotten technology of an ancient civilization' zone...but it's also clearly more primitive than the tech Balamb garden normally uses.

The missiles are sentient, evil demon planes.

God, we actually see that eye/camera lens swivel around to track its surroundings and the pupil contracts like a real animal. Outstanding stuff. Why are the missiles not behaving like normal missiles? Because they're full of malicious intent.

Yeah, it was my bad to expect the missiles to obey base realism and resemble real armaments. This is magitech. Whatever those things have going on in their on-board computer, it's at most only half real computing, and probably mostly paramagic.

I would love for more settings to do this. Pull an Eva and pull back the veneer of high-tech futurism and reveal the flesh beneath.

…and Balamb Garden emerges from the smoke, having used its newfound flight capabilities to outrun the blast.

Sick as all hell/

When Cid initially said Balamb Garden used to be a shelter until he 'remodeled it' I'd genuinely thought he meant that, like, most of BGU's surface construction was a modern building built on top of an old bunker complex. But no, not at all! He literally just House Flipped a vast and unknown magitech structure by swapping the decorations and turning the old bridge into his office!

Hey, if no-one was using it, it's free real estate. Plus there's a feeling of security in building a military academy on the foundations of some secure structure.

The system for that has come up in previous updates, but honestly?
Weapon Upgrades count for very little of your overall combat power in FFVIII.

Just as a quick comparison to FFVII, Cloud goes from the Buster Sword (2 materia slots, +18 Attack, +2 Magic) to let's go with Ragnarok since Proud Clod is mandatory and drops it (6 materia slots, +97 Attack, +43 Magic, +35 Spirit). Or for a closer comparison, Mythril Saber can be bought right out of Midgar for +23 Attack and +4 Magic, or Hardedge can be stolen in the Shinra Building for +32 Attack and +6 Magic.

By comparison, Squall's initial Revolver increases his Strength by 11... and his next weapon tier increases Strength by 14. Sure, that adds a bit of extra attack when things like Strength +X% are thrown in, but also magic junctioning is a static number depending on the spell junctioned and how many you have. 100 copies of Fire/Blizzard/Thunder will give you +10 Strength, 100 copies of Water (super easy to obtain before Fire Cavern with refining) gives you +20 Strength... junctioning pulls a lot more weight than weapon upgrades tend to.

Ah, but don't forget, upgrading weapons also increases accuracy, and unlocks finishers for Squall's limit breaks.

I found it amusing how "what kind of attitude is that" in the Japanese script is "what is with your defiant faces". The Garden Faculty unleashes monsters on the party because he doesn't like their faces.

As an aside, the "you" in "you're just supposed to follow orders" is specifically "students" in Japanese. Which might imply some unspoken assumptions in general about Japanese attitudes towards students, rather than SeeDs in this setting in specific.

We have already seen that there are certain factions in the Garden that don't want independent thought, just a focus on how to build the Garden's reputation.

It should definitely be 'residue' rather than 'stratum'. To indicate that the entire area is heavily stained with it.
You know maybe it's because I bought the Etrian Odyssey games on Steam since previously posting, but suddenly I'm reminded of those games calling each new environment/set of floors a "stratum" and just picturing the underground machinery part of Balamb Garden going on for hours of dungeon exploration.
Ah, but don't forget, upgrading weapons also increases accuracy, and unlocks finishers for Squall's limit breaks.
Ah, fair, fair - I didn't consider either of those since I was comparing to Squall's weapons which always have max accuracy and forgot that was how he gets more finishers. Still don't think equipment makes a particularly big difference compared to the rest of the series, but yeah that's a factor to consider.

Talking to the girls at the counter has them ask us if we'd like some hot dogs. Zell shouts in triumph; finally, after all this time, he's finally getting the much-desired cafeteria hot dogs!

It turns out they already finished the last of the stock. Peak comedy.
The fact that Zell gets a callback like this makes me wonder if there's anything in this sequence for Quistis, if you bring her. I mean, she was a teacher, right? The Garden Faculty are her coworkers, she ought to know them personally.

The fact that Zell gets a callback like this makes me wonder if there's anything in this sequence for Quistis, if you bring her. I mean, she was a teacher, right? The Garden Faculty are her coworkers, she ought to know them personally.

Not that I recall, except for one minor moment.

When Cid says 'Quistis was right, you have trouble expressing your emotions' Squall glares at her while she does one of the 'awkward' poses before moving on.

Accuracy increases by very little for all characters bar Squall and Selphie with better weapons. Excluding Selphie and Squall weapons give you at best +10 Hit%, while junctioning 100 Double gets you +40 Hit%. 100 Triple gets you +150 Hit%, but Triple is also the best spell to Junction to speed and you might want it on that stat.
TBH Squall getting better finishers is tha main reason you care for unpgrading weapons, Str/Hit% are secondary concerns at best.

...I assume the missiles are conducting a "pop up manouver" which is a real thing, so that missiles strike the less armoured top side of a vehicle/bunker/what have you

Our next Faculty member is on the way to the library and sends a Grat after us, which is honestly beneath my dignity to post screenshots of.

Oh my god, one of the students in the library has a crush on Zell. That's adorable. Good for you, Zell. She manages to stammer her way through giving us a 'Mega Phoenix,' which is an item I've never seen before in the series but from the name alone I'm gonna guess it's a Full-Life item.

A lot earlier, on BGN :

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...st/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20191019023735

Seems she supports him from a long time. I am cheering for you, library girl with a pigtail ! As you don't have a name, let's hope you will not die before dating Zell !

(btw, without Zell, she only gives you a Remedy...)

As in Zell and Rinoa (who are coincidentally also the party members chosen by the Japanese script site)
That's because they're the better team to bring to Balamb, since, as mentioned, bringing Zell means getting a Mega-Phoenix (which is a rare item that revives the entire team when used, so a great reason to always have a person with Items), whereas otherwise:

(btw, without Zell, she only gives you a Remedy...)
That. And not only it's obviously impossible to give Rinoa a tour of the Garden if you leave her to be exploded at the Missile Base, but the FMV where she looks around as the Garden is flying only triggers if Rinoa is in the team; if she's not, then you get only the first half of the FMV, showing the flying Garden but not the other characters.

Not that I recall, except for one minor moment.

When Cid says 'Quistis was right, you have trouble expressing your emotions' Squall glares at her while she does one of the 'awkward' poses before moving on.
In the Italian version, Quistis also has a minor line to Xu about "you don't trust me?!", or something to that effect (I haven't replayed that far yet) when you're explaining about the missiles.

Irvine, unsurprisingly since he's never been there, has no particular interaction with anybody at Balamb Garden, so bringing him along is the worst option, from an objective standpoint.

Last edited:
Back