Intro to Questing!

How can I encourage more people to vote? I currently have two active participants in my Vampire: The Masquerade quest, which poses a problem when those two differ on how to solve a problem. Splitting the difference has its limits as a way of reconciling varying approaches.

How can I encourage more people to vote? I currently have two active participants in my Vampire: The Masquerade quest, which poses a problem when those two differ on how to solve a problem. Splitting the difference has its limits as a way of reconciling varying approaches.
Beyond advertising in the Quest Advertising thread, the other way to go about it is to mention it on the general threads for that property, and you're probably going to have to keep doing this unless a popular QM takes notice and gives your work a shout out.

I'm less concerned about the number of readers and more focused on how to get those who are already watching to speak up and contribute to the decision-making process. I've got some regulars who upvote, but don't post to the thread.

Often people don't vote for two reasons: They don't have enough information to intuit which choice is better in their view and thus refuse for fear of making a mistake. Or, they don't find any of the options appealing or meaningful enough to vote on.

So give them info, ask them to vote and if they do not, then flip a coin.

New to the site and format, and have been thinking of running a quest on here for bit but had a few questions.

I'm not used to posting on a web forum compared to the other site I've ran quests on, and was wondering if mirroring or posting a story only version of a quest I ran elsewhere is something okay? Something to help learn how to post things and experiment with formatting my posts on here. From my understanding that'd go in the quest-archive sub forum though if I were to, right?

My other question is are the rules for running a quest on/across multiple websites?

New to the site and format, and have been thinking of running a quest on here for bit but had a few questions.

I'm not used to posting on a web forum compared to the other site I've ran quests on, and was wondering if mirroring or posting a story only version of a quest I ran elsewhere is something okay? Something to help learn how to post things and experiment with formatting my posts on here. From my understanding that'd go in the quest-archive sub forum though if I were to, right?

Correct and there is nothing wrong with doing that. Though, I suspect it would not attract many readers. Most questers prefer to be there as a quest grows and evolves, so posting a completed one is not going to really appeal to them as much.

My other question is are the rules for running a quest on/across multiple websites?

No, it's rarely done because of the hassle and annoyance of getting voters on multiple different sites to coordinate. It can be very tricky especially if power blocs start to form and people begin to feud across site lines. Debates can already get heated when everyone is from the same site, if they don't even have that connection? Could be nasty.

That said, it can be handled, it's just that few QMS feel much of a desire to ride that particular tiger if they don't have to. I have sometimes mused about running the same quest on SB/SV but I have never really gotten around to it.

Correct and there is nothing wrong with doing that. Though, I suspect it would not attract many readers. Most questers prefer to be there as a quest grows and evolves, so posting a completed one is not going to really appeal to them as much.

Thanks! I don't really aim much to get readers for the quests I try to mirror over here, it's more just bringing them here as a way to learn how to use the site and experiment with how I want to format my quest posts. That way when I do run the quest I want to over here, I'll be able to get things ready faster without having to edit a post a few times to get things right.

Last edited:
I'm new to SV so apologies if this is the wrong place. How long should I open votes for in the beginning?

That's honestly up to you. There's no set length, and it depends how complex the choices are and how many voters you think you will likely have. I'd say that a day or so is more than fine. You don't want to give the impression of rushing but I know that some people prefer to do character generation posts or early updates more rapidly to build steam. Your call.

How come the Tally tool keeps failing to pick up people's votes? It's been incredibly finicky for me.

How come the Tally tool keeps failing to pick up people's votes? It's been incredibly finicky for me.

It is probably something to do with the settings. Make sure that it is configured to automatically count the newest vote by a poster only, otherwise it may disregard new votes if that person has already voted. It is kind of finicky but I generally get it to work nowadays with a minimal of annoyance.

It is probably something to do with the settings. Make sure that it is configured to automatically count the newest vote by a poster only, otherwise it may disregard new votes if that person has already voted. It is kind of finicky but I generally get it to work nowadays with a minimal of annoyance.
I don't think that's the issue, my Quest is so small that everyone only votes once and there's like four votes total.

The tally tool has a dedicated thread if you wish to report a bug (accessible from the options menu via a button).

My guess would be that you might be missing threadmarks for some updates, and the tool's default is to count from the latest threadmark until the end of thread.

If the quest in question is the one in your sig, the latest update is not threadmarked, making the tool count from the one before it. It counts last update's votes for those who hadn't voted yet, and new votes for those who did.

I didn't notice it failing to pick up a vote, though. Mind describing the situation in the thread above?

Last edited:
The tally tool has a dedicated thread if you wish to report a bug (accessible from the options menu via a button).

My guess would be that you might be missing threadmarks for some updates, and the tool's default is to count from the latest threadmark until the end of thread.

If the quest in question is the one in your sig, the latest update is not threadmarked, making the tool count from the one before it. It counts last update's votes for those who hadn't voted yet, and new votes for those who did.

I didn't notice it failing to pick up a vote, though. Mind describing the situation in the thread above?
Well, I had threadmarked the last update I was counting from that the Tally was refusing to count, and the issue was that update, before the unthreadmarked update (which is now threadmarked).

So I don't think that's the issue. Which thread above do you mean? I don't see a link.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Built in Vote Tallying

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/attachments/1-png.760/ https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/attachments/2-png.761/ Hmm... what's this? If you guessed yet another new feature, congratulations! There is now vote tallying for quests built into the forum. Its feature set is currently very...

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

Built in Vote Tallying

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/attachments/1-png.760/ https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/attachments/2-png.761/ Hmm... what's this? If you guessed yet another new feature, congratulations! There is now vote tallying for quests built into the forum. Its feature set is currently very...
Oh, that thread? TBH, I really don't want to necro it, it's like six months old. That seems like it could be an issue.

Oh, that thread? TBH, I really don't want to necro it, it's like six months old. That seems like it could be an issue.
It really isn't; it's so much not an issue that it's enshrined in the rules:
Rule 4 said:
Commonly called "necroposting", posting in threads long after the last reply is not in itself disruptive. However, contentless complaints about "necroposting" are disruptive and can be infracted. If a post long after the last reply is disruptive, that would be because of some other reason entirely unrelated to how long after the last reply it was made.
Seriously, if you have - or think you have - an issue with the the tallying system, either post it there or in the Tech Support sub-forum.

It really isn't; it's so much not an issue that it's enshrined in the rules:

Seriously, if you have - or think you have - an issue with the the tallying system, either post it there or in the Tech Support sub-forum.
Thank you for telling me, my brain was working on the AH.com system where if the thread is like a month old it may as well be radioactive. I'll post there now.

Is there such thing as too long for a chapter to begin the quest with? I'm a little worried that the length of the introductory chapter might put people off.

There are no set limits or rules, but it speaks good of your ability as a writer and an editor if you can fit an interesting premise into 2-3k words, or split it in a way that would let players make meaningful choices about what kind of story they want.

If it's more than 5k, I personally put if off for later, which may be never, unless I know the author. Not everyone is like this, but these people exist, yes.

Oh, that's good, I noticed most quests don't exceed 500-1k for the first post, so I was worried 2k would be too much, but that reassures me. Thanks.

Back