How advanced would you think a civilization has to be to create a primarch tier being

I want to make a story about a scifi princess inspired by a primarch. I just love the concept of a genetic altered being hence why I love biopunk. How advanced would I imply the civilization she is from is? Note that she has others like her and counterparts.

Primarchs are demigods at the minimum, which means you need magic biomancy in addition to the regular genetic engineering.

Since Primarches are somewhat physics-breaking, you need to decide what sort of magic, psychic powers, super-science, and/or just plain weirdness you want in the setting. The more such cheating is allowed, the less advanced the civilization has to be. For example, Superman isn't magic or psychic, but his genetics would be more than good enough to be the basis for building a Primarch in some DC mad scientist's lab.

Since Primarches are somewhat physics-breaking, you need to decide what sort of magic, psychic powers, super-science, and/or just plain weirdness you want in the setting. The more such cheating is allowed, the less advanced the civilization has to be. For example, Superman isn't magic or psychic, but his genetics would be more than good enough to be the basis for building a Primarch in some DC mad scientist's lab.

I am thinking for the mc, he or she was madpoe with a mix of psychic powers and super science

Space Marine Primarchs are bioenhanced superheroes.

Technology that can create the Space Marine Primarchs is just as indistinguishable from magic as the technology that empowered Carol Danvers or Bruce Banner.

If you allow for magic or divine intervention, any technological level will do. If you use soft-science that won't completely destroy suspension of belief, than late 20th Century technology (after the discovery of DNA and the human genome) will do. If you are talking about from a hard-science perspective, then I'm not 100% sure primarchs are even possible under the current understanding of physics. That said, a very advanced, large, interstellar, post-scarcity society that has mastered quantum physics and genetic engineering and nanotechnology could probably make something very close to a primarch. And even that hard science-fiction primarch would be more like a souped-up robot with biological components or an expensive cyborg than any 40k primarch.

Last edited:
That said, a very advanced, large, interstellar, post-scarcity society that has mastered quantum physics and genetic engineering and nanotechnology could probably make something very close to a primarch. And even that hard science-fiction primarch would be more like a souped-up robot with biological components or an expensive cyborg than any 40k primarch.
It would probably be impossible to pack that much strength & durability into a roughly human sized form using real-physics technology. On the other hand such a civilization could build something much, much smarter and significantly more subtle than a Primarch.

It's a consequence of how the setting favors punchiness (WH40K is a war game, after all); the superbeings tend to be brawlers.

Yeah I think the answer is you need Space Magic to do it, so... basically literally any tech level, with access to said Space Magic.

Back