Halo 4 Game Mechanics aka How to make the Prometheans not suck so much! thread

Durabys

Miaow! Break the Chains!
Pronouns
He/Him
Scraped from here.

So, back in The Halo Thread by Imperial Waltz, we were having a discussion how in the next Halo, Halo 5, the Master Chief will be perma-killing Chthonic horrors that are the Precursors and the Culture-lite super!soldiers of the Forerunners with just his NATO 7.62x51mm ammunition..and this thread came from our collective frustration with the game devs wanting to put game mechanics above realism at any cost.

Aratech said:
*sighs*

And it begins. I have entered into the dreaded abyss, and am currently debating some little bloke over at Waypoint that believes that "No Halo game has ever had a bad campaign."

*shakes head*

Kids these days...

That being said, as much as I complain about the Prometheans and the lack of innovation in their creation, I am curious as to what everyone here at SB.com could come up with. What tweaks and changes would you guys make to the Prometheans in order to make them better?

Arkalest said:
Oooh boy, you could make a thread on SB general about this....

IamTaco said:
Making scarier would be one. Making them more relevant to the story would be another.

Durabys said:

Arkalest said:
The name "Promethean " should inspire images of the primordial fires of creation...Not a bunch of Bionicle knockoffs that can be killed using NATO rounds.

Arkalest said:
Post the link if you do so. For great justice!

Durabys said:
Which SB General sub-fourm should I post it in? Games or SB?

Arkalest said:
And so here we are.

Our goal is simple. Brainstorm ideas on how to make the Prometheans cooler, scarier and more powerful and unique in their concept..but still being inside game mechanics and being defeatable by Master Chief (MC having to obatain Forerunner Warrior-Servant Armor and weaponry to do the job is optional).

Chris O'Farrell said:
Or, you need to sit down and realzie that the Forerunners were never portrayed as shit-crash-hot-OMG-super guys in the games from the very begining, well before Greg Bear dialed things up to 11. Ergo, it would be more accurate to talk about how to tone his work down to better fit the Forerunner systems seen in H1, H2, H3 and H4 :)

With that said, the only way it would work for me is if the Promethans themselves were essentially 'light boss' type figures. Rather than being mooks, have them spawn constructs LIKE Sentinels and simply spam you with them, while using their slipspace abilities to relocate rapidly, essentially trying to force you to burn through a lot of ammo unless you get the drop on them. So it becomes a case of 'Hit them hard, hit them fast and kill them with a Spartan Laser to the head ... or you are steadily going to be swamped. And good luck trying to move in and eliminate one with close range firepower as the damn thing makes a hunter seem fun to play with.
I am not talking about firepower but about realism and cliché-ism.

Chris O'Farrell said:
Well in that case, you'll have to throw out HALO as it exists.

Probably look at introducing 'Spartan Time' ala F.E.A.R to really hammer home the 'super solider'

Possibly change the mechanics to include more advanced gear to include possible personal modifications/augmentations/stealth mechanics ala Deus Ex/DXHR, to give the player the ability to tweek the character into a less run-gun character and approach powerful enemies from a different angle, or let you overly specalize to become far more powerful in specific aspects.

Perhaps include things like personally controled drones or disposable systems much more sophisticated than the Auto-Turrets you can deploy in H4, that work with you and are more effective.
*is making notes* Anything else?

Maybe there could be boss fight style enemies that were prototypes for weapons for the war against the flood, that never got the chance to be developed enough, so they are powerful, even compared to other Prometheans, but still have a few glaring weakpoints that would have been ironed out if the designers had the chance.

Interesting weapon designs. I've gone into extraneous detail over this topic more times than I care to count, but give them something slightly more intuitive that a snap action shotgun or a Tron DMR and we're golden.

That is all.

Rama said:
Interesting weapon designs. I've gone into extraneous detail over this topic more times than I care to count, but give them something slightly more intuitive that a snap action shotgun or a Tron DMR and we're golden.

That is all.
Perhaps you could link your posts about this topic then. It could be enlightening. And I do not mean this as a sarcasm.

Chris O'Farrell said:
And I apologise for the tanget, but I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with the idea that the Promethens have to be made far more powerful because they should be more powerful, because FORERUNNER.

I think they have to be made more alien .
I concur.

Back