Grasp the Stars (Stellaris: Overlord)

You know, with some of those anomalies I really wish Stellaris would offer Enterprise-style science ships.

I'd be willing to pay the price of a battleship for an advanced science ship capable of self-defense or at least a more reliable retreat if they do meet something scary.

[X] (Science) Hmmm. Are the fungi edible? (+ Food & + Influence, which is used for constructing starbases)

Influence for our quickly-expanding Empire!

Last edited:
[X] (Science) Approve the project (Pay Alloys for a new science ship & pay Unity to promote a scientist to cover for Dr. Wang at home)

Scheduled vote count started by OliWhail on May 17, 2022 at 12:06 AM, finished with 8 posts and 7 votes.

• [X] (Science) Approve the project (Pay Alloys for a new science ship & pay Unity to promote a scientist to cover for Dr. Wang at home)
    [X] (Science) Hmmm. Are the fungi edible? (+ Food & + Influence, which is used for constructing starbases)

"Fine, I admit it, we can't get in close enough to scan the platform directly", Captain Reid finally admits. The remote scans of what appears to be an ancient lighter-than-air atmospheric structure have provided interesting data by themselves, but you can see it pains the meticulous scientist to leave a stone unturned.

"Maybe you'll be able to come back with a more robust ship some day," you try to reassure her. "But for now, there's a lot of important work still to do."

She just sighs. "You're right. Like always."
-o-o-o-
The new science ship, the ISS Aldrin, floats free of its dockings, carrying the now-Captain Wang toward his passion project. His replacement -

Who was hired to supervise sociobiological research?
[] Cheryll Pickett, a fellow biology expert (Expertise: Biology)
[] Mitsue Watanabe, a jack of all trades with a reputation as a quick study (Adaptable)
[X] Luke Chamberlain, a brilliant polymath (Spark of Genius)

"What do you mean they had already figured it out?" you ask Dr. Wang incredulously.

"When we landed, the research team on the ground came to meet us and brought a file explaining everything they had already puzzled out." He sounds genuinely dejected. "The fungi were responding to sound, and transmitting electromagnetic waves in response - like a living wireless microphone. But as far as they could tell, it wasn't transmitting to anyone - perhaps it was designed by some former inhabitant."

You consider your colleague's situation.

Who should hold captaincy of the Aldrin?
[X] (Ship) Dr. Wang; the man clearly needs a vacation
[] (Ship) The new hire; you need Qiang's expertise at home
[] (Ship) Nobody; you need those alloys back

What should its mission be, assuming it will stick around?
[X] (Task) Surveying
[] (Task) Act as an additional orbital lab around Earth

Last edited:
[X] (Task) Surveying

Let's give this man some space.

Last edited:

Spark of Genius is a flat research boost regardless of sub category of tech so is the most useful.

[X] (Task) Surveying

[X] (Task) Surveying

[X] (Task) Surveying

[X] (Task) Surveying

Captain Wang departs to spearhead the exploration of the Sejanis Expanse nebula. Frankly, it seems like the change of pace suits him - a weight of some kind has left his shoulders. In contrast, Dr. Chamberlain has taken to directing the sociobiology program like a duck to water, and work on selective xeno-defoliants is proceeding apace.

With three scientific expeditions now prospecting for resources, the UN has approved the commission of an additional construction fleet to keep up with creating new orbital infrastructure.

The preponderance of dead aliens out there is getting ridiculous at this point.

The Azophi has discovered what appears to be the site of an ancient battle on Roschon III - an area scattered with metal and radiation. Captain Okada has expressed a preference to leave it for a different crew, given her expertise is in surveying rather than archaeology, but she thinks they do possess the necessary equipment.

[] (Site) Begin excavation!
[] (Site) Perhaps later

Alone in your room that night, you review the compiled scans of all the alien sites your scientists have found so far. Is humanity doomed to the same fate, or can we defy the odds and build something that will last?

[] (Doom) Only time will tell
[] (Doom) Never tell me the odds! (Cordelia Whitfield gains the traits Stubborn (gain experience slower) & Expansionist (reduce costs to build new starbases))

Galactic Situation said:

That's a nice starting location. Mid-rim with some good FTL paths for a good early expansion, and by the looks of it some areas for Star Fortresses. The mid-game is looking bright.

[X] (Site) Perhaps later
[X] (Doom) Never tell me the odds! (Cordelia Whitfield gains the traits Stubborn (gain experience slower) & Expansionist (reduce costs to build new starbases))

[X] (Site) Perhaps later
[X] (Doom) Never tell me the odds! (Cordelia Whitfield gains the traits Stubborn (gain experience slower) & Expansionist (reduce costs to build new starbases))

[X] (Site) Perhaps later

[X] (Site) Perhaps later

[X] (Site) Perhaps later

This is really just making me want to save up for a computer so I can play Stellaris... Thank God Starbucks is increasing hourly rate in August LMAO.

[X] (Site) Begin excavation!

Found this and am interested in it! Though got to ask when will we be able to build our first warship? This is Stellaris and I know Pirates/Hostile Civs are right around the corner so I'd like a few ships to protect us and our colonies.

Though got to ask when will we be able to build our first warship? This is Stellaris and I know Pirates/Hostile Civs are right around the corner so I'd like a few ships to protect us and our colonies.
Warships will definitely happen as soon as hostile forces appear! For now, each inhabited system has an upgraded space station + a defense platform. In-universe this is for "asteroid defense/management".

One memey thing I know about Stellaris is that multiple cute species have a tendency to spawn with utterly genocidal shit governments. Yet they're designed to look hyper cute to the human players, which sparks a question: will they look adorable to in universe humans?

How will our humans cope with kawaii uguu aliens that are space facists? Will the cognitive dissonance be weaponized? Will humanity ever find a lover in this cold dead space? Can not a species form a quasi-romantic alliance with another? Just how far can I run "Xenophilia" into the ground?

Back