Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Dear reader! Whether you are new here, archive-reading and whatnot, or you are already someone who has been with us for quite a while, I would like to say a few words that I believe are best kept close to mind.

-This is an MLP quest. And more importantly, none of us are gratuitously cruel. So good things will happen on this quest, and I hope that enough good things have already happened to prove that.
-This is also a horror quest, so bad things will happen. Bad things might happen to good characters if you are not able to protect them, and you most certainly will not be able to intervene if you lack the tools to do so.
-And finally, this is a quest in which you jostle with powers greater than yourself, with all that it entails.

Please, do keep those things in mind as you go forward. But ultimately, this is also a quest in which it is hoped we all have fun! So if any of the above points is not exactly your cup of tea, or somehow make the experience as a whole "not worth it", then this quest might not be for you. Which is fine! Individual tastes are a thing, so don't think any more about it if you don't want to read anymore. And regardless, I hope you have a lovely day!

PSA for whoever needs to hear it:

Readers should take their own mental health into consideration when voting and not subject themselves to triggering narrative elements like rape or constant mental torture of a friend just for the Greatest Good of a world that doesn't exist.

If those are fine for you or Regrettable is even more triggering, then GREAT! More power to you. But you aren't a bad or selfish person for picking the option that keeps the characters you've emotionally connected with safe. [REDACTED for spoiler warning]

This is a high intensity quest that doesn't hold back when it comes to horror and negative consequences. Take care of yourself.
(Quote slightly edited to avoid spoilers)

Last edited:
Doubt it's Celestia, if only because of the "Secondary goals"
let's be honest? would we even have a chance to actually KILL her?

I'm now imagining it being meant as a joke

"If we fail to befriend convert Luna we'll obviously have to settle for killing her"

"What do you mean you killed her!? That was sarcasm, you imbecile!" :V

or who knows, maybe in this continuity Alicorns are immortal

I didn't get the impression of sarcasm from the Leader, though.

Either a sort-of mechanical emotioless statement or resolved declaration, sure, but not sarcasm?

In cultist simulator leader of the cult becomes progressivly less human but not necessarily evil. I actually expect leader to be that kind of pony who went really far into Moth lore that he lost ability to speak in anything but vague riddles. And the reason why he can't teach us past certain point is that you must arrive to deeper truths yourself and not just be guided to it.

And I can see how Equestria can be considered unnatural existence. Really, the only things that support current order is immortal goddess and artificial relics. No way in hell it was supposed to be that way. So I can see how Alicorns can be some eldritch beigns who came to this world to cultivate specific enviroment where they can thrive. And maybe eat pony's souls rich in harmony after they die or something. It is cultist simulator after all. No way [Harmony] and [Magic of Friendship] is just what it says on a tin.

Heyia! Just posting to address some things, and talk about some others.

First of all thank you all for the kind words! It is honestly lovely to get so many compliments. Especially since (as some of you said) this is a first-post quest (literally, the quest was out for a day when i first posted it because first posts pend mod approval) and because i wasn`t really active in here for the longest time.
So thank you! Really!

Secondly, lets see...

Just in awe that Starry Dancer almost sabotaged herself. Also, concerned about what our maid thinks of all this.

Likewise. Its a bit heart wrenching to roll dices and see something like that.
But i've read good quests where loved characters died thanks to the hateful 1, so i hope i can live up to it in case something important goes awry. And in the end you all will vote on it, so its how the cookie crumbles.
Also, Starry Dancer is most definitely the Diplomacy advisor. You would have learned something about her if it wasn't for that 100, but for now your character knows about her as much as was presented.

With what I saw from the Leader, I have this persisting feeling that they are actually a SI.

Pardon, I'm not genre-savvy. Whats a SI? Is it a reference to some other media or the likes?

the question then becomes if the Master would have been a different being if we chose a different lore focus.

I'll say that yes, the Master would have been adapted to your starting choice. The whole setting would alter slightly depending on it, but only slightly, but no need to dwell on that right now.
(And it would be Mistress had you picked Grail)

It being Celestia would be funny. 'Your secret goal is to draw Princess Luna into the web of the cult( make friends with my little sister without her suspecting my involvement) !'

I love this immediately.

And about some other things.

Just asking for some advice. How grating do you think typos are?
I'm fiddling with the current option of "writing and posting" as each choice is finished, but said writing sometimes ends... late. So I have to pick between posting it, or keeping it for another full day for "cooldown" and then posting it after adjustments are made.
The point is, if typos really feel like they somewhat hamper the fluidity of your reading, I'll have no problem in keeping an update for just a bit longer in order to post a better version. But for now, i've been posting and on the next day doing a typo-run to fix mistakes.

On another note, does anyone know a good dice thrower site/program? Im currently using one from Wizards of the Coast (pretty sure i can't post links here, but hope this much is fine), but i cant vouch for its randomness.
Don't post links here if it will cause you problems, just point me in the right direction if that is the case.

And finally, let me see... Ah, right.
The "write in" option is there. I can't really think of an in-character reason for you to betray your cult as it currently stands, but i assure you that certain things will happen and you will be given the option to vote on "what is your character's personal opinion on this". From there the seeds of rebellion will be but a step away, if it's the direction you would like to take it.
And of course, you can always provide a compelling enough argument for the "write in" not to be vetoed, then amass the votes.

I hope that covers some things. I'll go see about that typo-run now.

In cultist simulator leader of the cult becomes progressivly less human but not necessarily evil. I actually expect leader to be that kind of pony who went really far into Moth lore that he lost ability to speak in anything but vague riddles. And the reason why he can't teach us past certain point is that you must arrive to deeper truths yourself and not just be guided to it.

And I can see how Equestria can be considered unnatural existence. Really, the only things that support current order is immortal goddess and artificial relics. No way in hell it was supposed to be that way. So I can see how Alicorns can be some eldritch beigns who came to this world to cultivate specific enviroment where they can thrive. And maybe eat pony's souls rich in harmony after they die or something. It is cultist simulator after all. No way [Harmony] and [Magic of Friendship] is just what it says on a tin.

Oh, right! forgot to mention the "Learning with Master" Lore option.
I thought i had mentioned before that the Lore level can increase if you highlight yourself positively, but in case i didnt: your Master will be willing to teach you greater levels of Lore if you grow in his eyes (does that term exists in english...?)

Well, i believe you all understood it.

Do remember that this is literally "turn 2 of mission 1". So far you havent achieved anything (or rather, you haven't presented any achievements yet, this will happen in the comming reunion with the other advisors) so the Master is only willing to teach level 0 Lore scraps as he has done up until now (also the reason why you started with Level 1 Moth, having learned a level 0 scrap from your time in the cult until the start of the game).

Thank you for reminding me about this Yokmakarok

Edit: aye, Master is willing to give you level 1 scraps.

Last edited:
Whats a SI? Is it a reference to some other media or the likes?
It's a trend/ pattern. It's not a reference to any particular media as it is a a thing writers( typically only fanfic) do to insert themselves into the plot of an existing fictional story. They, the author, self-Inserts themselves as a character( or fully as themselves), and then the goal is typically to see how they would act or react to their situation. It's also a bane as a majority of SI are badly done, cliche or failure to execute the premise.

Pardon, I'm not genre-savvy. Whats a SI? Is it a reference to some other media or the likes?
self-insert. Basically yourself (or at least someone from Real Life Earth) inserted into a fictional story, often to satisfy self-fulfillment fantasies.

There ARE some REALLY good Self-insert fics around (This Bites for One Piece, Dreaming of Sunshine for Naruto...), but most are...pretty bad. And it doesn't really fit here I think.

I love this immediately.
Luna was always the most goth/edgy of the two. A cult was the best way to reintroduce her to modern society!

I'm fiddling with the current option of "writing and posting" as each choice is finished, but said writing sometimes ends... late. So I have to pick between posting it, or keeping it for another full day for "cooldown" and then posting it after adjustments are made.
The point is, if typos really feel like they somewhat hamper the fluidity of your reading, I'll have no problem in keeping an update for just a bit longer in order to post a better version. But for now, i've been posting and on the next day doing a typo-run to fix mistakes.
I don't think you had any horrible typos yet, so I'd prefer you kept to faster updates. You can go back to correct them later in case, and if you ever find you're making too many mistakes you can always change your mind.

On another note, does anyone know a good dice thrower site/program? Im currently using one from Wizards of the Coast (pretty sure i can't post links here, but hope this much is fine), but i cant vouch for its randomness.
Don't post links here if it will cause you problems, just point me in the right direction if that is the case.

You could always use the one in the forum, but I think some qm use rolz.org.

And finally, let me see... Ah, right.
The "write in" option is there. I can't really think of an in-character reason for you to betray your cult as it currently stands, but i assure you that certain things will happen and you will be given the option to vote on "what is your character's personal opinion on this". From there the seeds of rebellion will be but a step away, if it's the direction you would like to take it.
And of course, you can always provide a compelling enough argument for the "write in" not to be vetoed, then amass the votes.
oh, I agree that right now we really have no reason to betray the cult. It's something to consider in case our goal end up being too extreme, or we get emotionally compromised with the Elements/Luna/anyone else.

And who knows, if we end up "converting" Luna, we might end up in a Cult led by HER at some point. Wouldn't that be interesting? She HAS to have some interesting occult knowledge from a 1000 years ago, and Celestia would likely support her up to a point

Oh, right! forgot to mention the "Learning with Master" Lore option.
I thought i had mentioned before that the Lore level can increase if you highlight yourself positively, but in case i didnt: your Master will be willing to teach you greater levels of Lore if you grow in his eyes (does that term exists in english...?)

Well, i believe you all understood it.

Do remember that this is literally "turn 2 of mission 1". So far you havent achieved anything (or rather, you haven't presented any achievements yet, this will happen in the comming reunion with the other advisors) so the Master is only willing to teach level 0 Lore scraps as he has done up until now (also the reason why you started with Level 1 Moth, having learned a level 0 scrap from your time in the cult until the start of the game).

Thank you for reminding me about this Yokmakarok
oh, you already told us this.

Except you said he teaches Level 1 scraps currently, which means we'd need 1 to go 0-->1 and 2 to go 1-->2.

It's a trend/ pattern. It's not a reference to any particular media as it is a a thing writers( typically only fanfic) do to insert themselves into the plot of an existing fictional story. They, the author, self-Inserts themselves as a character( or fully as themselves), and then the goal is typically to see how they would act or react to their situation. It's also a bane as a majority of SI are badly done, cliche or failure to execute the premise.
except for the few REALLY good ones. They're rare, but when they're done well...

I think This Bites is probably the best One Piece fanfic bar none, and it's a self insert.
Pittauro threw 2 100-faced dice. Reason: because Total: 113
14 14 99 99

A literary convention in which the author is written as a character, and then placed within another work, hence the acronym (self, for character based on the author, insert, for what's happening to the character).
Not that much. I can notice them pretty quickly, but they really don't bother me.
This website actually has a mathematically reliable dice roller on it, though it lacks a bit of flair.
(does that term exists in english...?)
The idiom appears to translate literally, so it's understandable, yeah.
And who knows, if we end up "converting" Luna, we might end up in a Cult led by HER at some point. Wouldn't that be interesting? She HAS to have some interesting occult knowledge from a 1000 years ago, and Celestia would likely support her up to a point
The forbidden sleepover cult.
chocolote12 threw 1 6-faced dice. Reason: It's an option when editing. Total: 3
3 3
chocolote12 threw 2 6-faced dice. Reason: Look next to the save button Total: 8
4 4 4 4

Last edited:
They, the author, self-Inserts themselves as a character

Ohhhh. [Laughs in Deep Mandaic] I think i understand.

I could entertain the argument that "if it's a written story, arent all non-canon characters self-inserts?" but i completely get the "power high" that it could be.
Well, i can assure you its not a self insert, but i hope it doesn't really matter in the long term.

Thanks for the answer!

not going to lie, I haven't even noticed any typos so not very grating at all.

Oh and going back to what the leader of our cult might be, honestly I kinda get the impression that he's something from equestria from before the world was made into what is today. An ancient spirit that wishes to bring the world back to how it once was.

I just caved and finally got Cultist Simulator after watching LPs for two years. Unfortunately it takes lots of time to get anywhere and I just let my first character die of starvation after I got tired of clicking for more work.
Unfortunately I didn't get any insights on ideas to try in this quest from it.

Turn 2 - Results, part 3
[X] Friendship is Ritualism
-[X] Last Turn's Purchase Options
--[X] BOOK – FORGE Level 1, buy for 7 bits
--[X] BOOK – KNOCK Level 1, buy for 7 bits

-[X] This Turn's Purchase Options
--[X] You haven't forgotten about it, you just put it on hold until a more convenient time. (Purchases done here will arrive/be completed at the end of this turn.)
---[X] ARTIFACT – HEART Level 3, costs 200 bits
----[X] Buy
-[X] On what must be done (finding a way to reach Princess Luna)
--[X] You have reached the Dreamlands, or rather the place where the Mansus touches the Dreamlands. Now you must explore it.
---[X] If she truly is the sovereign of dreams, then she must stroll through her realm. Learn the paths she takes between dreams and attempt to track her hoofsteps. But keep to the shadows, for the dangers of the Dreamlands are unknown to you.

-[X] On furthering the cause
--[X] There are books that could be of use. You should start looking for them. (may involve random expenditure of bits).
All sub-choices not suspicious.
---[X] In Ponyville, and its… great assortments of libraries? (no extra cost)
----[X] In addition to your own searching, see if your ponyservants find anything neat.
--[X] You cannot expect to succeed working alone, that's why you are in a cult. Take some time to help one of your colleagues. Who knows, you might even learn something from them.
---[X] Help Starry Dancer, the pink mare who seems to be in charge of the talking.

-[X] Your personal life, or at least the non cult-y part
--[X] Much to your own satisfaction, you now have a personal life outside of your maids, immediate family and business related meetings. You could choose to spend some time with…
---[X] Rarity, who bears the Element of Generosity
----[X] Just a social call, nothing more than that.

- - -

You take the last bite from your breakfast, a smile on your face. Count yourself surprised, but today you're actually feeling giddy!

A napkin floats towards you as you hum a soft tune, and moments later you are out of your seat. You kiss your daughter's head as you pass her, and soon enough you're opening the door to-

"Sweetheart… is everything okay? You seem to be a bit…"

Until Stormchaser's voice interrupts you, causing your horn to freeze up while its magic is reaching out to the doorknob.

But of course, your husband's puzzled eyes have been following you this whole time. How could you not have addressed that?

"... uncharacteristic, today?" he finishes his sentence, after a good few seconds of fishing for words.

You turn towards him with an actually sincere smile.

"Whatever you mean by uncharacteristic?"

"Well the…" he fumbles for a few moments, until he points to where you were seated a few moments ago, "the humming? And the smiling? And the…"

"Oh," your smile disappears from your face, "you mean I'm uncharacteristic because I'm happy today?" you ask, raising an eyebrow with a you-are-now-digging-your-own-grave tone of voice.

"What? No! That's not what I meant, I mean," he looks at Silky Stream for help, suddenly realizing he was being cornered, but your daughter is too oblivious in her own breakfast to even notice the conversation.

You laugh, cutting him off before he can continue. Stallions are so easy to dance around.

"I'm joking dear, and I know what you mean," you say waving an apologetic hoof, "I'm just a bit excited because I'm visiting a friend today!"

You realize you are sounding a bit like a filly right now, but you can't help yourself for a few moments as you continue.

"Not an official meeting, not anything work related. I just realized this morning that I might not have done something like this in years! In fact, I think I've been so engrossed with work for such a long time that if it wasn't for Silky here with me, while you're out for business, I would have gone mad years ago!"

You can feel that you would actually have trotted in place for a bit while saying that, if you didn't know that it would have been a horrible idea for your leg.

But for all your smiles and excitement, for some reason your husband's quizzical look just grows deeper.

"But… don't you go to that book club of yours every so often?"

You freeze up for a second, a facehoof being very nearly avoided by all those years of etiquette classes. How could you have let that slip by you so easily?!

"Oh, that?" you laugh nervously, waving your hoof dismissively, "well, book club nowadays is almost a job in itself dear. Of course I enjoy it, but I feel like I'm actually starting to get competitive about it" you finish, recomposing your smile and hoping your husband would buy into it.

"Competitive about… book club activities?"

Nope, he definitely didn't buy it.

"You wouldn't get it, dear," you give him a wink, sighing in relief when you see him rolling his eyes and just giving up on the conversation.

And you walk out of the dining room before anypony else can stop you.

- - -

Despite all of that, you were being honest.

Granted, you will have to be more careful when balancing your "social life", or at least how other ponies perceive your supposed social life. You are after all, as far as anypony is concerned, a mare who attends a "book club" every so often. It might be less than once a month, but you can't just rave like a little filly whenever you meet a new pony who's not related to that.

Still, back to the topic at hand. Going to meet your friend.

Well… acquaintance? It doesn't matter. Today is a free day, and you intent to use a good part of it to do nothing important at all, be it work, family or cult related.

Now… where can you even find her to begin with…? You recall her saying something about a boutique, the same way you recall her not pointing you where it was, so…

[Searching for Rarity, breakpoints 40/60/80]

[Roll: 59 + 8 (Martial) + 5 (SECRET HISTORIES bonus) = 72, you find her, and she's not alone.]

It really wasn't hard at all, you must say.

At first you thought Ponyville's uniqueness would work against you, with almost every house being somewhat different from the other. You even passed by a place, you think it was a bakery, that was styled like a real cake, with brown roofs of "chocolate" and white tiles for "icing", and even a cupcake-shaped... room on top of it? The thing even had giant decorative candles on top of it which might have doubled as chimneys.

You mentally mark that place to make sure you never go near it with Silky Stream, or else she might break the front door or a window while rushing towards it.

But in the end, Ponyville's personal charm actually helped you find your quarry, you think to yourself, as you stand before the aptly named "Carousel Boutique". A soft blue and pink circular building that, upon closer inspection, does seem to be quite like how the fashionista would have liked it.

Even the small windows on the door are diamond-shaped, and you think you recall her cutie mark being something related to that.

You ponder on knocking on the door for a few seconds, but the stylish "open" sign quickly makes you decide against it. A soft bell rings as you open it, and you have to admit you are impressed.

The whole place seems to have been designed to awe from the moment a pony opens the door. Several mannequins are immediately in your view, each with a different kind of clothing, and the whole place seems to have been designed as if it was telling stories of sorts. A mannequin with a male overcoat and a top hat here, apparently courting one with a dress... a trio in summer gowns of different colors there, arranged as if having a pleasant conversation.

You even eye two of them, a more casual dress with an accompanying umbrella next to a filly-sized mannequin in a matching dress, that very much look perfect for you and Silky to wear together.

And the whole place is marvelously detailed. Mirrors at different heights for different points of view flanked by richly colored veils, several dressing rooms, and other small details wherever you look.

You were being honest when you told her that you didn't exactly knew much about fashion, a few weeks back, but even you can tell that the mare has talent.

"I'll be with you in a moment" you hear a familiar voice coming from deeper within the store, followed by the soft hum of levitating magic. Moments later, Rarity comes into view from behind a large set of hangers, each with a different piece of clothing. She doesn't freeze, much to your relief, but you can clearly see surprise in her face.

"Miss Velvet! Such a lovely surprise, what can I help you with?"

"Well, I was going to say I just came for a visit," you walk towards her, still looking around and taking in the decorations of the place, "but forget about me, this place is simply wonderful!"

"I try my best, Miss Velvet," she says with a slight blush, "but thank you, I am indeed a bit proud of my work."

"Oh, enough of the whole 'miss' thing. And you are telling me you designed all of this by yourself? I would have thought this was the hoofwork of at least three different ponies."

"Au contraire darling," she swings her mane, her blush turning into a delighted smile, "everything at Carousel Boutique was made by yours truly."

She walks around you, drawing your gaze to the several different outfits as she continues.

"Of course, inspiration is sometimes hard to come by. But Ponyville has yet to fail me on that regard-", your brief tour, and Rarity's proud smile, are suddenly interrupted by the sound of a short yelp, followed by something falling down, coming deeper from the boutique.

"Oh my, I almost forgot! Please wait a second here darling, I'll be right back," she says, hastily going to the source of the mysterious sound.

And, obviously, you go after her a few moments later.

"Oh I'm so sorry dear. Here, let me help you with this," you hear Rarity's voice, clearly nervous, coming from just a bit further ahead.

"Hey, wai- ouch! Careful with the pins!", followed by another voice you don't know.

"Rarity? Is anything the matter?" you ask, finally reaching the place from where you were hearing her.

You see Rarity, her expression slightly flustered, helping another pony take out an overly large dress that is clearly still in development stage.

Not a pony, you realize, a filly. Her coat as white as Rarity's, and her mane a pink and purple tone that is just a touch lighter than Rarity's. But in all other aspects, the small unicorn is basically a mini version of her.

She looks at you with a somewhat pained expression while the older mare tries to unfold the dress from around her. It clearly looks like the filly tried to walk in that overcomplicated thing, and tripped before her first hoof even touched the ground.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were attending somepony else before I arrived."

"Don't worry about it darling," she says, concentrating on her magic while trying to unknot a web of frills, "my sister was just helping me with modelling when the doorbell rang."

Which causes her sister to shoot a glare at her, prompting an uncomfortable smile from Rarity.

"Although I may have left Sweetie Belle on a particular pose for too long while we… chatted," she admits, still with an apologetic expression.

But a few moments later the dress is successfully untangled, and you can take a better look at the filly as she is safely floated to the floor.

"Oh, she looks the same age as Silky Stream," you say your thoughts out loud once you take a better look at the recently-freed pony.

"Silky? The transferred filly?" Sweetie Belle looks you from head to hoof, "oh right, you do look a bit like her."

"I had no idea you also had a sister, darling."

You let out a short laugh at Rarity's remark, quickly covering your mouth with a hoof. The two sisters look at you curiously before you can properly answer.

"Oh, sorry. I am actually referring to my daughter, you know."

Sweetie Belle simply nods, as if it was obvious. But Rarity, on the other hand.

"Daughter?! Why, but I thought… Around Sweetie Belle's age?" she looks you over again, twice, three times, her expression aghast.

"Mhmm, she still doesn't have a cutie mark either," you answer, watching the young filly embarrassedly try to hide her flank.

Oh, so she is already at that age then. You'll make sure to be mindful about it.

"But you… Velvet I never would have guessed it, you have the looks of a princess about you!" Rarity finally says, starting to settle down from her surprise.

You wave an embarrassed at hoof at her, that was quite the refined way of saying you are a good few years older than she thought you were.

"Well, I'm flattered. But here, let's not bother your sister with our grown mare talk. Why don't we take this somewhere else, and you tell me about what you have been working on?"

You see Sweetie Belle sigh in relief, both at the prospect of not having to pose anymore for some experimental dress, and because her blank flank was no longer a subject.

"Oh, I'd love to darling. Here, allow me to introduce you to a place I know. The tea is simply fabulous over there," she guides you towards the door with a satisfied nod.

And the two of you walk out of the boutique, idly chit-chatting as you make your way to the streets.

You and Rarity are no longer acquaintances, you are now actual friends!

You are now acquaintances with Sweetie Belle.

For the record, a reminder you have the "Beautiful" trait. And on another note, finding Rarity with another Element Bearer would have been at the +80 breakpoint.

- - -
- - -
- - -

[Book Hunting in Ponyville]

[Roll: 86 + 12 (Learning) + 5 (SECRET HISTORIES bonus) = 103]

You are in the middle of Ponyville, under the afternoon sun, taking in the sight before your eyes.

And quite honestly, you are currently weighting your options.

You have passed by that building before, of course, but this is the first time you have actually realized what it is. For the longest time you had thought it was the house of some eccentric botanist pony, but you can see now that it isn't.

"Golden Oak Library… huh…" you muse to yourself.

On one hoof you went out today to buy books, not rent them.

But on the other… there could be a few interesting ones in there. And besides, if you recall correctly, you have been to libraries in Canterlot where there were some sort of sales section, when you were younger.

"Although this is a small-town library… it might not have something like that."

What finally makes you decide, in the end, is the afternoon sun. Your thoughts are starting to go from "books" to "how cool it might be inside a tree", so you realize it might be a good time to get inside a nice and shaded place.

You walk through the bright red door, the candle painted on it amusing you somewhat.

And you are greeted by a completely unexpected sight.

"Twiiiliiiiight! I told you somepony would show up!"

The library is a mess.

There are books strewn around the floor and all over the place. Well, not exactly strewn, some of them are neatly piled in columns, but still there isn't almost a single one of them that is actually in a shelf.

However, the mess in itself isn't the most shocking part of it. What made you freeze up for a good few seconds is the fact that-

"I'm sorry miss but uh… We're kinds closed for maintenance right now?"

There is a dragon in the middle of the library!

"Well, more like 'absolutely necessary reordering', according to somepony" he says, making a mock mimic of a voice as he talks, followed by a grumpy expression.

"I heard that Spike," another pony appears, and you hear her walking down the stairs as she speaks, "and I told you, there's no way anypony will be able to find anything in here unless we reorder it by genre and author name. This is important!"

But you don't even notice her, your eyes still locked on the dragon.

Sure, he is small, and purple, and doesn't even have wings yet. But he's still a dragon.

"I'm sorry miss, can I help you with anything?", you nearly jump in surprise as the purple mare appears at your side, carrying a stack of books with her glowing horn.

You recall her walking towards you in your peripheral vision, but she could have teleported there for all you were paying attention.

"Oh, I'm sorry," you take a deep breath, shaking your head a bit, "I was just surprised by your little friend there."

You finally manage to take a better look at the mare who is talking to you. She is quite young looking, to the point where you think she might have only recently become an adult. Her eyes still have that sort of innocent and curious looks that you would expect from a pony who is growing up, but the ease with which she is floating a rather large stack of books shows you that she knows a thing or two (but probably more) about magic.

"Don't worry about it. Spike can be quite a head turner once you meet him, but you get used to it," she says, turning away from you and filing the books in the air, quickly reading their sides and floating them towards a specific cabinet.

"Its just that I've never seen a dragon in my life. I didn't know there were any here in Ponyville."

"We are actually from Canterlot, but you're right, dragons aren't common over there either," she says with a bit of a giggle, "I'm Twilight Sparkle, by the way."

"Velvet Covers, a pleasure to meet you. And you too," you say towards the small dragon, "Spike, wasn't it?"

The purple dragon simply waves you with a dispirited expression, as the other unicorn starts floating more and more books for him to organize as well.

It takes you a few more seconds for your brain to finally make the connection.

This is Twilight Sparkle? This is the pony who is Princess Celestia's personal student? The one who defeated Nightmare Moon after gathering the long lost mythical Elements of Harmony?

She is way younger than you expected.

"Nice to meet you! And I'm sorry about the current state of the library, but so few ponies actually come here that I didn't think it would be any harm to try and rearrange it right now. Oh, are you here for anything in particular?" her expression suddenly lights up, "can I help you find a specific book or something?"

Some books fan around her as if in display, and you honestly wonder if it is intentional from her or some form of subconscious excitement. Either way, she must really like books.

Well, that's something the two of you have in common then!

"Actually I am," you say, and Twilight reacts almost instantly, "no single book in particular, but I do love having some literature to go through during my spare time."

"That's great! You must be the first pony I heard say that since I moved in from Canterlot," she claps her hoofs together, "here Spike, take my share for a few minutes, I'll help our guest search for what she's looking for!"

You feel a tinge of pity for the small dragon as a second pile of books floats towards his head. But instead of being neatly lowered down, they are instead "un-floated" above him, with gravity causing the expected result.

You thank the excited unicorn, of course, but you make sure to stay for as little time as possible to spare Spike the herculean task that he will have to do alone for as long as you are here.

But not before you find a few books that catch your eye, of course.

-A treatise on the relationship of Equestria and its neighboring lands – SECRET HISTORIES Level 3, costs 30 bits

-A dramatic reading of an ancient war – SECRET HISTORIES Level 2, costs 15 bits

-A historical atlas of Ponyville and its surrounding lands – Reveals TWO places for expeditions, costs 15 bits

You leave the Golden Oak Library, satisfied with what you have found, as well as with who you have met, and head back home..

Public access libraries will only ever give you books that are up to level 3, and the incremental +20 rolls while searching cap at 100.

Books are always rolled randomly, but certain cities have a greater "weight" to certain aspects.

- - -
- - -
- - -

The two stallions leave the package at your main hall, at your behest, and you quickly have it opened and moved to your room.

It is flamboyant to say the least, and definitely extravagant. And even though you are looking at it directly you cant quite decide if it is a carpet or a thick blanket. You also can't identify what animal that skin belonged to in life, but by the heavens it is soft.

You put it in your storage for the time being. The thing caused a few murmurs among your servants, but all of them of carefree nature, nothing to be worried about. And you are sure that none of them… felt, what you felt coming from the thing.

It isn't a worrying feeling, but you're also not about to put it as a carpet in your study room or start sleeping in it either. And you definitely will instruct your servants to not let Silky Stream see the thing. There is definitely some Heart going about that item, and you will be wary about it until you can properly study it.

[Acquired a HEART artifact]

Not long after, a servant comes to you with an excited face. You quickly recognize him as the one you sent to go looking for interesting books.

"Good evening ma'am, I have returned from the errant you sent me."

"Good evening. Go ahead, did you find anything?"

[Book Hunting in Ponyville – Servant Action]

[Roll: 1 + 12 (Learning) = 13]

[Rolling for lost bits…]

He moves to take something out of his package, but instead of the report you were expecting, or a list of books and prices you thought he would present, he takes out an actual book.

You raise an eyebrow.

"It was almost like it was meant to happen, ma'am! I didn't even make it to the first bookshop before this wonderful wagon stopped next to me. They had all sorts of books, and once I told them what I was looking for, those helpful unicorns immediately presented me this copy!"

Your raised eyebrow slowly crumbles into dawning horror as you float the book out of his mouth and closer to your inspecting gaze.

"Something something…" you read the jumbled and convoluted title of the blue book, "deep mysteries? By the Flim & Flam book press?"

You quickly go through a few pages, realizing there is nothing useful in that book, and closing it before you actually start to feel sick about it.

"Yes ma'am!" the pony continues, excited, "and I know you told me to report back with a list. But they told me they were travelling merchants, and that it was the final copy they had! I just HAD to get it there and then!"

Several options went through your head. Facehoofing yourself was one of them, facehoofing him was another. Hunting down those two "helpful unicorns" and having a large stallion facehoof them several times was a third, equally alluring option.

But in the end, you simply thanked him for his work, and dismissed him for the rest of the night.

[Lost: 10 (base) + 9 (1d10 roll) = 19 bits]

- - -
- - -
- - -

You gather, once again.

It happened in the same way, the crossroads appearing before your eyes as soon as your head reached your bed. You had almost expected a dizzying sensation, as if you had just been pushed off a cliff, but it never came. You simply looked around, realized you were alone, and made your way towards the Woods.

And once again, you arrive at that same clearing, coming out of the bushes almost at the same time as the other five.

You nod towards your compatriots, with Copper Secateur waving back at you and Starry Dancer doing the same in a perhaps too excited manner.

But once the six of you form a loose circle... nothing. Nothing but silence, and the sound of wind against leaves, happens.

You strain your ears for a sign. Searching for the buzzing that should be mounting in your head, listening for the breaking of a twig that would surely come, waiting for the noise of things scraping against the bark of wood.

But you neither hear nor feel any of that.

Until one of you, a voice you have never heard before that you soon realize is Jade Whistle, starts speaking.

"We hit a roadblock, for a while," she turns her back to the woods and faces the rest of you, an action that the rest of you copy, forming some sort of talking circle, "I thought the best candidates for any magic ritual we might attempt would be among those who had already made their way into the Woods. Affinity, understanding of secrets, a mark of those sorts of things. But I finally settled for those who seemed to have better innate regular magic to them, pony magic that is. And Ponyville has a lot of farmers and weather pegasus, a few them among our numbers, so I'm somewhat confident we have a fledgling magic-oriented team. We just haven't had the opportunity to test them yet."

Her voice seems a bit unfocused as she speaks, somewhat dreamy and droning. But when she finishes, she turns to look at Comet Feet who is sitting next to her. The large pegasus looks around, as if not entirely sure of what he is doing, before starting to talk as well.

"I've got almost nothing. Ponyville is too peaceful, and almost nopony in our cult proper has any affinity to the Edge. I have two, maybe three ponies who have the slightest clue of what to do, but that's it. Our cult almost entirely lacks muscle, and I'm considering going for other cities or hiring help if we need anything done. Although hiring would also involve at least going to a bigger town, where people looking for shady work might be. But for Ponyville itself, recruiting anypony for hard work is utterly fruitless."

He lets out some sort of gruff snort, and turns his head to face Starry Dancer.

"Oh, my turn? Well… I tried to work my way into the town hall for a few weeks, and I thought I had a shot at it. Well, a shot, until Velvet here came along!" she points at you excitedly, "she had a talk to the mayor and suddenly I became her personal assistant! I don't think I'm close enough to actually sway her, but I think she trusts me. At least enough to give me the copy of some keys, including the town hall and its archive!"

She nearly prances with excitement as she delivers her news, then turns to Copper Secateur.

"We are doing well, I'd say. I was far less subtle than I usually am, but Ponyville itself seems oblivious to it. But far more importantly, I think I found a group of ponies who I can train to help me look for conversion candidates. And since we are starting to move with purpose now, I suppose that working towards a web that can expand by itself is the obvious direction to go."

She then turns to Windy Flakes, and the unicorn seems to think for a while before he starts speaking softly.

"I don't have much to report, unfortunately… I do have a plan, I mean. We obviously need a better source of income for the cult, and a place we can gather more easily, but the problem is that initial push. This would be like trying to start an enterprise from scratch, and we simply don't have the bits for it. I did find a good place for it though, a building for sale to the south of Ponyville, distant from the more urban area and away from prying eyes, but still central enough to be a business location. But it is for sale, and we don't have the bits…"

He hits his hoofs lightly while thinking, the soft clopping sound echoing in the clearing.

"I have been entertaining thoughts about… convincing the owner of that building into being more generous," he lets out a wry smile, looking at Comet Feet.

But soon after, he is looking at you, and its your turn to report on your doings.

You open your mouth to speak, but you stop, and you finally feel what Jade Whistle must have felt from the beginning. The whole… forest seems to turn its attention to you. Dark trees seem to bend slightly in interest, the wind seems to howl just a little less as if to allow you to talk.

Your Master is listening, that much becomes crystal clear to you.

You pick your words carefully, and begin your own report.

[You must pick one of each category. Planned voting.]

[ ] On the dreamlands

-[ ] You have not found your any way to the Dreamlands.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands, beyond the crossroads and towards the horizon.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands and explored it, but found no evidence that Princess Luna is there.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands and explored it, finding rescued dreams that confirm that Princess Luna is active in there. (This is the full truth for a report)

[ ] On Rarity

-[ ] There is no need to comment about meeting Rarity.
-[ ] You have met Rarity, a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, and believe that you are on good terms with her.
-[ ] You have met Rarity, an Element bearer, and found out she has a little sister. And that is exploitable.

[ ] On Twilight Sparkle

-[ ] There is no need to commend about meeting Twilight Sparkle.
-[ ] You have met Twilight Sparkle, the young mare who exorcised Nightmare Moon.
-[ ] You have met Twilight Sparkle and her pet dragon Spike, who seems to be small enough to be an easy target.

[ ] On your helping of Starry Dancer

-[ ] There is no need to talk about helping Starry Dancer.
-[ ] Highlight how helpful you were when helping Starry Dancer, gloating before your fellow advisors.

[ ] On your acquisitions

-[ ] There is no need to talk about your acquisitions.
-[ ] You have recently purchased an interesting curio that clearly hums with Heart, and you will study it.
-[ ] You have recently purchased an interesting curio of Heart, and will donate it to the Cult.

[ ] On your servants

-[ ] You have a stupid servant who cost you 19 bits on a stupid book, does anypony need a living body for a ritual?
-[ ] Just forgive him already.

[ ] On the Things that Stalk

-[ ] Keep that to yourself.
-[ ] Mention that there are dangers in the Dreamlands, but that you have no idea what they are.
-[ ] State that there are... things in the Dreamlands, and demand your Master explain what they are.

There will be at least 24 hours for voting.

Your character sheet will be updated to reflect your current (end of turn 2) situation.

Last edited:
Edit.
In the unlikely case someone finished reading it during the five minutes i was editing the character sheet, one last set of choices was added to your report picks, about the things on the Dreamlands.

Contacts and Names
List of contacts:
(These are ponies you do not share a specific pre-quest bond with. As a rule of thumb they are divided into groups. But be advised that these groups are YOUR OPINION on the matter, and their reaction to certain "situations" might diverge from what you would have excepted, depending on their own personalities and moral compasses.)

The "levels" of a contact, much as something like friendship is nearly impossible to quantify, are roughly divided like this:

An Acquaintance.
-An acquaintance is a pony who you met at random or by design, or somepony you have had a reasonable "first contact" experience with. Anypony who is not an acquaintance, or who you do not know for any other reason, is a total stranger to you, and it won't even cross your mind to try and look for them. (Well, we all know you will use your OOC knowledge to try and arrange for certain interactions, but oh well...)

A Friend
-You turn an acquaintance into a friend by spending time with them. Mechanically speaking you need only spend a turn with an acquaintance, no tests involved most of the time, just to get to know them a little better. Being lucky enough to just "bump into them" while performing other actions might also be enough.
-Friends can be called for "Write-ins", although the can deny participating in your action, and they can be expected to act on their own interests while accompanying you. Still, their skills may be called upon.
-Keep in mind, however, that bringing in somepony for an action of yours will involve their own efforts as well, if they do help you. That might mean that they can fail, and ruin your own success, or that they can share in your spotlight if you succeed, or perhaps even steal your glory and its dividends.

A Good Friend
-You turn a Friend into a Good Friend by spending more time with them, together with a little something else. Simply spending time with them will proc a situation where you will roll a test, but you may expedite that by spending bits in your action, or by doing something else of relevance.
-Good Friends can be expected to join in your actions, with "Write-ins", and can be expected to act with your interests in mind, seeing that their honest intention is to be there to help you.
-Good Friends may be introduced into the cult, without fear of things going terribly wrong if you fail at that.

Confidant
-A confidant is a pony who is personally loyal to you, or who believes that they owe you a great debt, or who believes that you are worthy of being followed.
-A Good Friend may become a confidant through great effort on your part, or through a relevant action which is of great relevance to them, or that would incur debt, inspiration or loyalty.
-If you were cruel, then perhaps the term you would have used is "Minion", or perhaps the description applied would have been that "they can be expected to obey you", but that is not the case.
-Calling a Confidant to do something extremely dubious might yield varying results, but unless many wrong buttons are pushed you can expect them to keep your secrets and remain loyal.
-Upon reaching the Confidant level, you will be given the choice of automatically introducing said character into the cult.

But as it goes with friendships, and the particular antics of personalities, these are rules of thumb.
It is also important to note that this is the "mechanical" part of things. Context borne from the narrative circumstances can also be equally important.

Fellow members of the Inner Circle, as well as creatures from the Mansus, will not be classified on the scale above.

Minions - these are the ponies that you can truly claim to be yours.

-Rarity, great [GRAIL], lesser [FORGE]:
Current occult level: Disciple (Grail Level 3, Forge Level 1)
Bearer of an Element of Harmony, a hopeful (and talented, you must say) fashionista who dreams of "making it big". She is absolutely enamored with Canterlot and the glamour of other major cities, and has a little sister who's your daughter's age. She is quite zealous about her craft, a good trait for someone as talented as her, and knows a few of your personal secrets, now that you trust her. She has become, in her own opinion, deeply indebted to you after you gave her the opportunity of making her dream "come true", after you mediated a contract between her, your family and the Needle family, in which she will have her work sent over to them under the guise of a talented, but recluse, fashionista.
She HAS BEEN INDUCED into the Wildhoof Club, but is not yet privy to the deepest secrets of the cult.

-Rarity will become (or remain) a minion as long as your Grail level is greater than hers.
-Rarity will become (or remain) a minion if you ever have a maximum level Grail influence upon you.
-If neither of those two circumstances are applicable, Rarity will revert into a Confidant.

Confidants – ponies you could probably trust to help you hide a body (even if after some stern scolding)

-Fluttershy, great [WINTER] lesser [UNKNOWN]:
Current occult level: Initiate (Winter Level 1, Unknown Affinity 0/nonexistent)
Bearer of an Element of Harmony, a recluse pegasus mare who seems to be more at ease around animals than ponies. She lives in the nebulous area between the outskirts of Ponyville and the Everfree forest. And despite her extremely shy nature, she somehow got in touch with Comet Feet.

You have no idea how, and you have no idea why. But apparently, well...
Apparently, the mare was in touch with Comet Feet for a long while. She is a mare of few words, and the opportunity to ask for details never seems to appear, but you think it happened during the early months of the Cult's activities, while Comet had exiled himself to the edge of Ponyville.
And then apparently, something happened between them, that caused the mare to worry about him.
And apparently, you ultimately helped her.
From your experience, you know exactly what is going on. But Fluttershy is a quiet mare, who seems to be quietly happy. And Comet Feet is a sharp stallion, who you would very much prefer stay the way he is right now. So, you have decided not to poke around too much, and definitely not to poke around at all whenever the stallion is within earshot.

Still, Fluttershy is comfortable around you. The fact that you are already friends with Rarity, a pony she knows, only helps. So, you think you have landed yourself a spot among the very select group of ponies with whom she stays in touch regularly.

Good friends – ponies that will come to your aid if you ask, who you can trust that you could introduce into your cult, or who wouldn't completely cut ties with you if said attempt went horribly wrong.

-Currently none

Friends – ponies with whom you actually have a good, casual relationship with, and who might agree to join you if you call for them.

-Cheerilee: your daughter's teacher, who views her job as important mainly because it helps build the future of her students. She seems to be capable of truly dedicating herself for others.

-Filthy Rich: a wealthy stallion who has business in sales and retails at Ponyville. He is a good father, and you feel that he is a dedicated husband, but you can also tell that there is some sort of problem in his family right now...

-Applejack, [FORGE] of unknown intensity: Apple Bloom's older sister and middle daughter of the current generation of the Apple Clan. A dependable and responsible orange earth pony.

Acquaintances – ponies who you met once, and who wouldn't be strangers to you if you met again.

-Mayor Mare: the de facto leader of Ponyville.

-Twilight Sparkle, [LANTERN] of unknown intensity (currently LOCKED as an Acquaintance)
Leader, from what you heard, of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. She is younger than you expected, and far too young for the weight of her achievements. She lives in a library and seems to be fascinated by all things academic. Despite her already extensive education and scholarly life, she claims to have a dream of going to a university or some other institution.

You have given her a taste of the occult, and her reaction to it was... far more extreme than you expected it to be. Luckily, it didn't reach the point of her breaking down, but you honestly fear that it might have come to that if you had not intervened, or if her friends had failed to help her if you had not come to her.

Eventually, the two of you travelled to Canterlot and you learned just how attached she is to Princess Celestia, her mentor. The result of said trip being that a rather unfortunate encounter with Princess Luna ended up being too much for the young mare to bear. She fled back to Ponyville, and you eventually found and consoled her, convincing her to keep faith on Princess Celestia no matter what.
From what you surmise, she was kidnapped or swapped by the changelings shortly after that.

Twilight Sparkle was held as a prisoner of the Wildhoof Club. You endeavored to rescue her, but when you finally reached her you also realized the mare remember certain things that you wish she didn't.

Following her rescue, you were also forced to manipulate her brother into investigating her situation too much, lest the young mare ended up saying something that might incriminate you.

And shortly after that, she simply asked you never speak to her again.

Foals - sons, daughters, children. They might not be in "your" circle of friendship, but it is always good to keep track of them. (These characters will never "advance" in your social bonds)

-Sweetie Belle: Rarity's sister. She is your daughter's age, and seems to be terribly conscientious about her lack of a cutie mark.

-Spike: Twilight Sparkle's pet dragon, who lives with her. They seem to have an almost familial relationship. DECEASED (Drained dry of his life by changelings)

-Diamond Tiara: Filthy Rich's daughter, and a friend of your own daughter.

-Silver Spoon: a grey filly of rich upbringing who is friends with your daughter.

-Apple Bloom: a yellow filly, who won the Sisterhooves Social with her sister, and is friends with your daughter. She is a member of the Apple Clan and lives in the Sweet Apple Acres.

-Scootaloo: an orange pegasus filly. You can tell at a glance that her wings are... smaller, than they should be for a filly her age. Her parents also doesn't seem to live in town, and you are not sure who takes care of her, so you let her stay in your house whenever the situation warrants.

Close Family:
(Allowing any of these characters to be harmed will incur in severe, possibly game-ending, penalties)

-Selene [MOTH 3] [WINTER 3] [EDGE 3] [KNOCK 3]:
Selene is your daughter, and you will brook no argument that claims the contrary.
She is Princess Luna, turned into a child by powers beyond your comprehension and entrusted into your care by... by her parents. Although to this day you do not quite understand what exactly happened on that place.
But right now, all that matters is that she is a very shy filly. To your absolute happiness she seems to be growing close to your daughter, and she is slowly opening up to your and your husband as well. However, you know that she still has a long way to go, and part of you dread on what that might entail...
But still, that is something for you to worry about in the future. What peeves you the most on the present, you must add, is that to this day she has not yet called you "Mother".

-Silky Stream:
-Your daughter, the pegasus who you absolutely adore. She has her father's eyes, and a sweet tooth you hope she will grow out of. Despite her cleverness she is still young and needs to be watched closely, but as far as you can tell she channels her earnestness towards good causes. She sees her maid and guardian, Soft Sweeps, as an older sister of sorts, and you hope that said feeling doesn't "fade" as she grows older.
-You have discovered that she seems to have inherited, at least partly, her father's "sense" to notice when something is particularly important.

-Stormchaser, great [SECRET HISTORIES], lesser [KNOCK]:
Current occult level: Disciple (Secret Histories level 3, Knock level 1)
Your husband, a pegasus weather specialist from a family of wealthy cloud merchants. Despite the fact that your marriage with him was arranged, you two have come to love each other. He has an ability, of sorts, that he has never spoken about with anypony else, apart from you that is. He can, sometimes, realize when a particular object or moment is important, and he has no other way of describing it, or explaining how it works.
After what might perhaps have been too long, you finally admitted to him everything that has happened between you and the Cult these last years. To your great happiness, he doesn't seem to hold any of that against you, and will stand with you against the Cult. And he has also (finally) agreed with you that the occult knowledge is not inherently bad, and is willing to learn about it.
However, he has made it very clear that he will stick to his moral values. And even though there are no longer any secrets between the two of you, you understand that he might not be willing to follow you down the darker paths.

-Soft Sweeps:
Your daughter's caretaker, a dedicated pegasus mare with a not so fortunate upbringing who... had a family back in Canterlot that she used to support.
An extremely loyal mare who slowly grew to become not only your daughter's guardian, but also her older sister. To the point that the two of them bonded greatly during a Sisterhooves Social.
However, during the changeling catastrophe on Canterlot, her entire family was killed.
You are not entirely sure yet how she will react to that, and how that experience might change her. But you do know that, now, you care too much about her to simply leave her alone.

You know that you will never be able to give back to her what she lost, but that doesn't stop you from considering Soft Sweeps a member of your own family (you consider Soft Sweeps to be you own daughter, and will treat her as such).

Family and Home:

-Ponpon: your personal maid, a discrete and sweet earth pony mare.

-Velvet Hill: your father, and let's stop this right here.

-Soft Charm: Your estranged mother. Your only opinion of her is that, on hindsight, you don't think she was a very good mother.

-Velvet Wings: Your older brother. Having been borne a pegasus caused him not to even be considered as a possible heir of the family, something that only became more clear when you were borne. Your relationship with him, as you grew up, slowly became more complex and forced, until the day he was old enough to leave for the wider world. You hope he understands that those complications happened by you father's design, but you have not had much contact with him ever since.

-Velvet Pride: Your younger brother. A fine unicorn, from what you have seen in the paintings, although he is not an adult yet. You have never met him in person, and you have no doubts that your father prefers it that way.

-Velvet Steppes: Your uncle, your father's younger brother. He is an affable, charming and loyal unicorn, or at the very least one who is well liked enough to be welcome in the circles of Canterlot's nobility, despite being a Velvet. He is known as the "Facilitator", but to this day you have no idea why.

-Velvet Horseshoe [DECEASED]: The founding ancestor of your family, the pony who first attained the title of nobility from Princess Celestia years ago. Tales speak of him as a ruthless stallion and, apparently, he was known by some as "Velvet Dagger". His legacy, for good or bad, lives on in his family to this day.

Others:

-Needle Pin: A mare of the Needle family, and their chosen representative when dealing with the patronage of Rarity. She seems to be a business-keen mare, but you can tell that her family's expectations on her weight heavily on her back.

-Princess Mi Amore Cadenza
The Princess of Love, and adoptive niece of Princess Celestia herself. A... surprisingly approachable pony, who you are starting to view more as a regular mare who somehow ascended into alicornhood while she was still somewhat young. She spent the years following her ascension under the tutorship of Princess Celestia, and has grown up to be a capable advisor. During Celestia's absence, you must add, she also proved to be quite willing to flex her authority, especially when trying to deal with the unruly nobility, although history will tell if that was a stroke of genius or a mark of incompetence. She is apparently in a (hidden) relationship with a stallion of the Royal Guard, and cares enough about him to directly intervene, by means of her authority if necessary, if his work risks putting him in danger.

You have been able to get closer to her, you think, and you can see just how taxing rulership can be. Especially given how complicated things turned out after Princess Celestia returned form looking for her sister. Still, the two of you talked, and you believe she has taken something you told her to heart. Enough, perhaps, to even earn you her respect and friendship: "In the end, Cadance, we're all doing the best we can with what we have, and limited by what we know. Sometime that doesn't feel like enough, but all we can do is try and do better. Sometimes we regret our choices, even while we think it was really the only choice we could have ever made. And sometimes, it helps to have a friend to talk to, someone that will listen and give some advice without judging you for your weaknesses. they can give you strength when you find yourself with none of your own."

-Captain Shining Armor: a unicorn stallion, and a captain of the Royal Guard. He is a competent and dedicated member of the guard, and has risen to his rank through his own merit. You find him quite agreeable, although he can be quite hardheaded when he thinks he must stand his ground about something, be it an opinion or anything else. He is apparently in a (hidden) relationship with nopony other than the Princess of Love herself, although by no means you disagree in Cadance's good taste. You have also learned that he is Twilight Sparkle's older brother, which means he has good looks and brains NOTHING. Which means nothing a respectable mare would care for, except that you would very much like to meet his parents.

-Princess Celestia: The Sunbringer, the Immortal, the eternal ruler of ponykind and protector of Equestria. Her titles are many, but for all of her awesome might... you still can't shake the impression that deep down she is just a mare. You know, or at least you think you know, that she was borne into this world. Much like you know, or you think you know, that she has made some sort of covenant with Harmony. But for now, you are but a mare that has met her, and that perhaps she has taken a slight interest in.

-Midday Dew: A thin, skittish and bespectacled earth pony stallion who you met while working at the Lunar Bureau. His documentation, and the things he has access to, imply he has Princess Celestia's trust, or at least that she values him for his skills... whatever those might be. You suspect he is an equivalent "figurehead" the same way that you are, and that he is in charge of whatever secret research Princess Celestia wishes to see done. You have come to call the institution he works for "Eclipse", if that place even has a name at all.

-Fair Trial: An unassuming unicorn mare of noble background. She is the current head of her family, following her father's unfortunate demise at a relatively young age, and an Equestrian Judge by title and tradition. Apparently, she presided over a rather scandalous case early in her career, and her (quickly reversed) harsh sentence caused her to be "quietly moved" to the "glamorous" job of a Circuit Judge. After that, she spent a full decade of her career travelling Equestria, representing justice in the smaller and more distant communities. That is, until Princess Celestia herself promoted her to the highest, greatest and most powerful court in all of Equestria, giving the unicorn Her own seat in the Solar Court itself.

The Cult:

-The Master [???]: whoever this pony is, you only know their voice. The snap of a twig heralds their presence, and they seem to know a great deal of things.

-Comet Feet [EDGE]:
A large pegasus with a gruff expression that you could easily picture as a member of the guard. He is the pony in charge of the cult's "dirty business", although Ponyville seems to lack anypony of his caliber. He is currently living in solitude, honing his knowledge of Edge, in an abandoned house within a forest at the very limits of Ponyville. Despite his rather aggressive demeanor, though, you think he might have something akin to a sense of honor, or at least obligation, and that he might be a very dedicated pony.

-Starry Dancer [HEART]:
A pink pegasus mare. What she seems to have in good intentions she also seems to have in clumsiness, but maybe you're being too hard on her. She (supposedly) is in charge of the cult's formal talking, and she also currently owes you one. A big one.
From what you have heard and observed it seems that she is either illiterate, or has a great difficulty with reading. It also appears that she is somewhat close to the Master, or at least that she trusts them very much, or perhaps even depends on them a little.

-Copper Secateur [GRAIL]: the very first cult member you met, an earth pony mare who is in charge of scouting out recruits. She can be terribly sly when she wants to, and apparently is also in charge of other "shady businesses" in the cult. It has come to your attention that she might have a problem of sorts, although you have no idea of what it might be.

-Windy Flakes [WINTER]:
-The unicorn who owns the shop where your cult currently meets. Always has a grin on his face, and sometimes has a strange sense of humor. He is in charge of the cult's finances.
-After your cult's "acquisition" of a particularly large building, he has moved on from his shop and become the manager of the Wildhoof Club, which is also the "lair" in which your cult meets. His demeanor still remains unchanged, though, to the point where you wonder exactly how his depth on his Lore (if he even has been dedicating himself to it, that is) might be affecting him.

-Jade Whistle, great [LANTERN], lesser [HEART] [CONFIDANT-LEVEL BOND]:
Current occult level: Disciple (Lantern Level 3, Heart Level 1)
An earth pony mare who seems a bit aloof, her expression always neutral. She is in charge of the more "occult" doings within the cult.
You have learned that she had a younger brother, who perished after a horrible accident in the Everfree Forest. Her mother and father left shortly after that, although with different definitions of "leaving" being applied to them...
She is an extremely observant and intelligent mare, and for the longest time she lived alone in her house. Because of that, and several other reasons of course, she developed a serious problem in connecting with other ponies.
However, after much effort from both of you, you finally managed to... perhaps help her take a step forward and away from her past. She tells you that she recently rekindled with another old friend of hers, and you trust her when she says that she is trying to move on from her past.
Although she made it very clear that she will not step a hoof anywhere near her old house, which she nearly burned down at one point.

-Baldomare: not a part of the Cult proper, but an extremely interesting mare who lives in the Mansus, with her lover Illopony. She is currently living in your estate, and has claimed a room on the topmost floor "to better watch the sunrise". You have come to learn that she is a very good storyteller.

-The Daughter-of-Axes: not a part of the Cult proper. Instead, she is a creature of the Mansus. A snakemare (if such a thing even exists) and a self-declared Name. She certainly has the Knock-knowledge to back such a claim, of course. But she also has a fiery temper and a very foul mouth, to the point that most of the time you think you are dealing with a teenager rather than an Era-old monster.

-Mareinette, Our Lady of Wires: not a part of the Cult. Not a part of this world. Not a part of the Mansus. She was declared an abomination even in an era that was full of monsters. And yet she still lives, even after everything else crumbled to dust. She is very old, you know. Very old, and very wise, and so very thirsty. Still, she is far more intelligent than she looks. And for all that she causes you fear and revulsion, you also can't help but feel fascination whenever you think about her.

Last edited:
"Yes ma'am!" the pony continues, excited, "and I know you told me to report back with a list. But they told me they were travelling merchants, and that it was the final copy they had! I just HAD to get it there and then!"

Several options went through your head. Facepalming yourself was one of them, facepalming him was another. Hunting down those two "helpful unicorns" and having a large stallion facepalm them several times was a third, equally alluring option.

But in the end, you simply thanked him for his work, and dismissed him for the rest of the night.

[Lost: 10 (base) + 9 (1d10 roll) = 19 bits]
So, why precisely was he walking around with nineteen of our bits? Did he run all the way back to our estate in order to take the money from us? I sure hope he's not trying to bill an expense to us that he made with his personal money, but there's no other explanation for why it'd come out of our pockets.

Edit: I'm just saying, if we ever need a pony sacrifice, we know who to call. Now to think about the vote.

Last edited:
Known Rituals, and Lore invocations
On the Lores, and their applications:
Lores can be applied in two ways, by Knowledge and by Application. Both apply in the Mansus and in the Wake.

KNOWLEDGE bonus is the measurement of how intimate you are with said Lore, how well you understand it, or how much of its power you carry.
-Your Knowledge bonus is always your Lore level times 10, OR the level of your strongest Aspect-related Artifact available (also times ten).
-Your Knowledge bonus is applied to surpass hurdles in the Mansus (something blocking your in the Mansus, a Mansus-borne curse, etc).
-Your Knowledge bonus is also applied when performing Rituals (but more on this up ahead).
-Yes, you may completely neglect leveling up an Aspect if you carry around an Artifact of sufficiently high level as a "focus", both for Mansus traversing and Ritual performing. But an Artifact is a physical object, and knowledge is not.

APPLICATION bonus is the measurement of how well you can apply your Lore knowledge in practical circumstances.
-It is the specific bonus that you gain with your current Lore level, which can be seen in your Character Sheet.
-These bonuses are applied to "broadly described" tests, and may also come in the form of status boosts or more.
-These practical bonus are more easily boosted, with certain rituals or by summoning Influences (more on this up ahead, on the Two Aspect Ritual Circle).
-An Artifact whose level is greater than your own Lore Level will NOT "unlock" the equivalent Application Bonuses. You are merely using a tool which you do not fully understand for its power, but you know not how to properly apply it in practice, save in the most brutish of manners.

Current known trend of the Application bonus:
-Level 0, an entry point: you gain +1 on specific tests.
-Level 1, a subtle hint: you gain +5 on specific tests.
-Level 2, a lesson learned: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and +1 on a status.
-Level 3, a realization: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and you undergo a subtle change of mind and body.
-Level 4, a confident certainty: you gain further +5 on a specific test, and one dice Re-Roll per month, for a test which involves said Lore.
-Level 5, a Sacrament: ???

On tests related to Lores:
Most Lore tests have a "base" CD (which most of the time will be 50), and an "Expected Level" CD. This will be more clear once you check the Ritual section, but the basic idea is as follows:

The BLANK DOOR, for example, had a CD of 70.
It had a base CD of 50, and it expected you to have a WINTER Lore (its chief Aspect) of level 2, since it is the entryway to the second level of the Mansus. Hence, 50+20=70.
Of course, understanding it also applied your LANTERN application bonus, so you brute-forced your way in. But that's the Mansus' problem, not yours.

This "base CD" will become greater under certain circumstances, as you will see ahead. But you will always be told what the CD of a Hurdle is (or at LEAST what its chief Aspect is), so it is usually a good way to know what you can expect to see on the other side of said Hurdle, or what the nature of said Curse is.

Great, but how do you improve your Lore level?
An example: Say you are studying a book or an Artifact. If the artifact is a HEART Level 3, and you current Lore of HEART is 0, then this means you are looking for a Level 0 scrap of Lore.
So this is how the test will look like:

CD: 50 (base CD) + 0 (ten times the Level of scrap you want) = 50

And the bonus you will apply is: YOUR CURRENT "LEARNING" + 30, because the Artifact is Level 3.

Notice that while attempting to LEARN a scrap of Lore, your own level didn't help you. This is because your level is your own current understanding, and you aren't trying to apply it, you are trying to increase it.
Your level will only be mentioned if your own level is higher than the source you're studying. In which case it will do nothing but bite you, since you can't learn anything from a source of knowledge whose Lore level is inferior to yours.

Studying something of the same Lore level is still fine, though. But keep in mind that you are better rewarded from studying from your superiors, as for every two full levels your source of knowledge is over you, you gain one additional scrap of Lore if you succeed in studying it.

And finally, there are the Influences, which can be quickly explained.
An Influence is, basically, a "blessing" of a certain Aspect. It is something that covers you and accompanies you for a while.
Influences will give you both a Knowledge and Application bonus, that can be of +10, +20, +30 or +40. These bonus apply for every roll, EXCEPT for Ritual rolls. Influences will allow you to draw on the laws more easily when applying what you know, or they will shield you from the Hurdles of the Mansus or Mansus-borne Curses, but their effect are too overbearing for the delicate execution of rituals.
And also because Influences can be gained via rituals, so you will all just start a "vicious cycle" of self-buffing Influences if you are allowed to.

But beware, Influences are a "mantle" around you, they are a small dose of Aspect-strength, or a legitimate overload of the thing. They might affect how you think, and they might have certain effects on your social interactions. Remember "That Old Yearning"? That was a Moth influence.
But who needs social interactions when you can have power, right?

- - -

RITUALS

Rituals will, invariably, have several different CD, all of which you must pass in order to complete it. Each CD will be of a different Aspect, depending on the effect of the ritual.
But you cannot be expected to be a master of every single Aspect. And even if you are, you cannot trust your knowledge alone to see you through, not when the stakes are dire and the needs are urgent.
So you can always "boost" your rituals... through a certain price, of course.
It is possible, depending on the complexity of the Ritual Circle, to offer it more incentives to bind the laws of the Mansus, through the correct use of sacrifices.

LIFE
Sacrifice the life of a sapient creature, and the passing of its essence shall boost the Ritual.
-Pony life: boosts every Aspect by a factor of +10.
-Changeling life: KNOCK +20, GRAIL +30, MOTH +40
-Gryphon life: ???
-Dragon life: ???
-???
"Blood has always been the currency of the world. Any world."

ARTIFACT
Destroy an artifact, and its Level will be applied (with a factor of +10 per level) on the Ritual.
"This thing gently emanates the energy of an Aspect, but we need more than 'gentle' for this. Wring it for its every last drop."

REAGENT
Consume a reagent, and its Level will be applied (with a factor of +10 per level) on the Ritual.
"Ink for the pen and fuel to the flame, grease for the cogs and gifts to the Name!"

???

Single Aspect Ritual Circle

"This is the simplest configuration in which we may draw the attention of the laws of the Mansus, although its uses are extremely limited. It is not so much of a ritual circle as it is a magnifying lens, through which we may look more easily into the Mansus, or perhaps through which it may see us more easily."

This Ritual Circle has no need for sacrifices.

"The Attention of the Laws"
-CD: None, instant success.
-Cost: None.
-Duration: Lasts until the end of the turn when it is cast.
-Effect: You may pick a single Aspect, and double its Application Bonus for a single action. Casting this more than once, on the same Aspect, will not accumulate effect, but merely allow you to apply it in two different actions. Casting this on different Aspects allows for the two "doubled Aspects" to be applied on the same action.

"Rite of Childhood's End"
-Cost: A bundle of crocheted blankets, knitted with love. To be mercilessly torn and burnt by the lead ritualist.
-Duration: Instantaneous. Transformation ritual.
-Effect: There is nothing good about this ritual. It is a thing to be done in desperate times only, and its effect is akin to waking up on a cold morning, from a dream of happiness long lost. This will instantly wake Princess Luna, no matter how unprepared she is. And this will be the end of the dream called Selene. (Not a ranged Ritual. Selene must be present.)

"Rite of the Mother and the Father"
-Cost: A mother, a father, a daughter who is asleep. (Does not require a ritual circle. Does not cost an action. Velvet Covers will refuse to perform it with a pony who is not Stormchaser.)
-Duration: Instantaneous.
-Effects: "It is time to wake up."

Two Aspect Ritual Circle

"Two concentric circles, the second more complex than the first, but not so much that they do not complement each other. Like a sun eclipsed by the moon, or like the dance of life and death, the centerpiece circle maintains its function as a "magnifying lens", but it is used instead to draw the laws of an Aspect for a lesser function, a "base" for the ritual. The outer circle, which allows for more complex application, uses that base for the intended purpose."

This Ritual Circle allows for ONE sacrifice.

"The Forge's Redemption"
-CD: GRAIL 60, FORGE 100
-Cost: 20 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Permanent.
-Effect: Permanently removes a "Lasting Wound" or other body-affecting malus.
-Failing this ritual risks you suffering a Wound.

"The Incision of the Heart"
-CD: EDGE 60, HEART 100
-Cost: 20 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Permanent.
-Effect: Permanently removes a "Lasting Mental Debuff" or any other mind-affecting malus.
-Failing this Ritual risks a non-permanent Mental Malus.

"The Path Through Nightmares"
-CD: KNOCK 60, MOTH variable
-Cost: 50 bits on materials.
-Duration: Instantaneous. Offensive Ritual.
-Effect: Sends your target into a nightmare, with escape CD set to your MOTH roll. Every failed attempt at escape causes a psychological wound (one Dread, Fascination, or something else) and gives the target a +10 bonus for the next attempt. In average, mortal ponies will die if they spend too long with three or more psychological wounds. May be "dosed" to stop at a certain point, as in "before target goes insane" or "as soon as target is sufficiently frightened/intimidated".
-Failing this Ritual yields no maluses, bar frustration.

"The End is Beautiful"
-CD: LANTERN 60, WINTER variable
-Cost: 45 bits on materials. (Originally 50)
-Duration: Instantaneous. Offensive Ritual.
-Effect: Target rolls against your WINTER CD. Divide the difference between your roll by 17, rounded DOWN. Target takes that number as Wounds.
-Failing this Ritual is... impossible. Somepony, somewhere, will die.
-It is extremely unadvised to cast this Ritual more than once per month.

"The calling of Influence"
-CD: Any aspect, as follows:
Desired Effect+10+20+30+40
CD6080110150
-Cost: 30 bits on simple materials.
-Duration: Until the end of the NEXT turn. Can be "banished" by will, permanently, if you are worried about talking to someone.
-Effect: The "Desired Effect" bonus will apply to ANY Roll that involves said aspect, except on rolls related to Rituals.
-Failing this Ritual yields no maluses, bar frustration.
-This ritual may only affect the pony casting it (a pony may not cast this ritual to give an Influence to another pony)
-You may only have one Ritual-called Influence at a time. Attempting to summon a new one will cause the previous one to be dismissed.

"The Reflection of the Tapestry"
-CD: SECRET HISTORIES 60, LANTERN variable
-Cost: 30 bits on materials. (Originally 35)
-Duration: Instantaneous/Permanent.
-Effect: Choose a "Subject" or "Location" to learn about. LANTERN roll provides information based on its value, subtracted by any defenses (mundane or otherwise) that the target might possess. Information given is incrementally better at every +20 rolled over the target's basic "resistance". Undefended targets have a basic resistance of "0".
-Failing this RItual yields no maluses, bar frustration.
-Information given can always be trusted to be true, even if frustratingly hard to interpret.
-It is possible to search for an "Item" (artifact of specified level) in order to reveal where it might be found. It is possible to target a known dungeon to scout it. Application of ritual is open and vague.

Three Aspect Ritual Circle

"Despite the great size of the Third Configuration, very few parts of it are fixed and common to all rituals. Those that are unavoidably draw the lines of Knock, and other things that are required for passages to be formed. The rest of the area that is left must be used to specify exactly who, or what, you are summoning. And once you realize just how wrong things can go, the space that is left feels small."

The Three Aspect Circle allows for TWO sacrifices

Base rules for summoned creatures
-As a rule, all creatures have a "General bonus". Unless stated otherwise, that bonus will apply to all tests that creature performs.
-As a rule, all creatures last THREE MONTHS.
-IF a creature has a bonus that applies to a specific circumstance, it will be noted. If that is the case (like a specific bonus for combat) than that bonus will apply instead of said "General Bonus"
-A creature CAN apply the "Application Bonus" based on their Lore. That bonus compounds with their own "General Bonus" and has the same description as your own. (Edge for combat, Moth for sneaking, etc).
-Summoned creatures do not accompany you into the Mansus.
-Any other details or particularities will be noted on a per-creature basis

The following is the information you currently know about creatures you are capable of summoning:

Mansus creatures:
"It is surprisingly silent, as it moves. And even though its eyes are dead and rotting, one can tell that there is a certain cunning to them. Soon, although not terribly soon, the Wood-boughs that have flourished on its insides will take root, and it will stop moving forever. But until that happens... it will obey."

Flourishing Risen

Summoning details:
-Summoning a single Risen of either kind is a FREE ACTION. (Summoning additional Risen costs 1 action per two extra dead bodies. 1 Action for a total of 3, 2 for a total of 5, etc.)
-Summoning a Flourishing Risen requires the use of a dead body.
-Summoning a Flourishing Risen does NOT require a Ritual Circle.
-They exceptionally last only TWO months.

Health: 1/1
General bonus: +5
Aspects: MOTH 2, WINTER 2
[MONSTROUS APPEARANCE]: Cannot be used for Social Actions.
[UNINTELLIGENT]: Will perform badly at Actions that require academic knowledge. (This creature is still cunning, and will not walk into traps or act foolishly)

"Whenever it moves, its bones creak like broken glass. Sharp bone fragments protrude from its dead skin, and you have no doubt that the creature is quite able at using them to cut up flesh. But there is no feeling in it, no lingering malice or any other need inside the vessel. It will follow, and it will obey, until its bones can hold it together no longer."

Torn Risen

Summoning details:
-Summoning a single Risen of either kind is a FREE ACTION. (Summoning additional Risen costs 1 action per two extra dead bodies.1 Action for a total of 3, 2 for a total of 5, etc.)
-Summoning a Torn Risen requires the use of a dead body.
-Summoning a Torn Risen does NOT require a Ritual Circle.
-They exceptionally last only TWO months.

Health: 1/1
General bonus: +5
Aspects: EDGE 2, WINTER 2
[UNINTELLIGENT]: Will perform badly at Actions that require academic knowledge. (This creature is still cunning, and will not walk into traps or act foolishly)

"A self-perpetuating manifestation of hate, this thing is not much of a creature as it is a force of nature. Controlling it is easy, but not simple, for this is a creature that may only spread its malice, and destroy everything around it. It is especially vicious towards ponies, and its mere presence is enough to bring forth a small snowstorm."

Windigo

Summoning requirements: WINTER 90, KNOCK 60, EDGE 70.

Summoning cost: 60 bits.

Summoning details:
-This creature affects its surroundings in an unsubtle manner, and it must be given an active and violent order every turn, or else it must be unsummoned;
-For an additional 15 bits on summoning costs, a Windigo may be summoned inside a sealed vessel. It may be kept indefinitely inside its vessel (its "summoning period" will not count down) for an additional 20 bits per turn to maintain the binding.
-An unbound Windigo may not be re-bound (or at least, not without efforts that would be greater than to simply banish it and summon a new one)

Health: 3
General bonus: +20
Actions that will harm ponies: +30
Aspects: EDGE 5, WINTER 5
[Malice and Pain]: Windigos operating together provide a bonus to each other, scaling with the number of Windigos.
[Incorporeal]: If a Windigo survives a battle, it will heal back to full health.

[In Service To Our Father]: If a certain quantity of Windigos is present, they will immediately break free from their bindings.

[VIOLENT]: Must be ordered to perform a violent action, or be unsummoned/banished.

"They are always mares, their coats are always bleached-white, and they always look oh so real. But upon closer scrutiny, one begins to see the more disturbing details. Like how their expressions always mimics your own, or how they almost don't leave hoofprints on the floor as if they were light. But they look normal enough. And when in the presence of other ponies, perhaps because they can mirror them, they feel even more natural."

Mare-in-the-Light [INCOMPLETE INFORMATION, you must successfully summon one for a complete status file]

Summoning requirements: LANTERN 80, KNOCK 60, EDGE 60.

Summoning cost: 55 bits. (Originally 60)

Summoning details:
-[CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]

Health: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
General bonus: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
"Specialty" bonus: [CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]
Aspects: LANTERN 5, EDGE 3
[LIGHT SNATCHER]: May be sacrificed to reduce one level of Fascination from one character.

[Other traits negative, unknown]

Names:
"Pleasant to talk to, and with a face that is surprisingly young for the voice she speaks with. There is a light in her eyes, although the ignorant will simply think that to be a piercing and observant gaze, and she doesn't seem to have a shadow. It is also curious how nopony can ever remember if she is a pegasus, unicorn or an earth pony. You think she can choose."

Baldomare

Summoning requirements: LANTERN 100, KNOCK 80, SECRET HISTORIES 60.

Summoning cost: 95 bits. (Originally 100)

Summoning details:
-Baldomare is willing to extend (reset) her summoning period if you gift her an UNREAD book of Level 5 or higher. "Of course it has to be unread, dear. What use do I have to a book that has already been read?"
-Baldomare is capable of CHANNELING the highest intensity of Influence in her Lores, and gifting it to you for a full month.
-Baldomare is considered to be a Minion, and does not mind being sacrificed for Rituals.

Health: 2/2
General bonus: +30
"Search actions" bonus: +50
Aspects: LANTERN 6, SECRET HISTORIES 6
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. She has reached high within its ranks.
[RITUALIST]: Unlike most Names, she is willing to perform any Ritual, even if they do not involve one of her preferred Lores.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Baldomare is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lores of Lantern and Secret Histories, should you fulfill her requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Baldomare grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lores.

[NONCOMBATANT]: Baldomare refuses to engage in any sort of fighting, and has adjusted her health to reflect that. "I barely ever wear a body! So why would I want to feel pain on the rare occasions I do?"
[UNIQUE]: Baldomare is a unique creature. She may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three full months should she be unsummoned for any reason (including if she is killed).

"She claims that she was the Daughter of 'another', before, but that she had to bind herself to a new patron once her Mother 'did what she did'. Always wearing a cloak upon her body, and a scowl upon her face, you have slowly come to realize that, perhaps, her problem is that she simply isn't good with words. Or with ponies. Most likely with both, to tell the truth. You are also pretty sure that she has scales underneath that cloak, instead of fur, but you will definitely not pry. Especially given how she seems to hide that great horn-topped axe so easily underneath that cloak. And considering her Lore nature, you wouldn't be surprised at all if the inside of her cloak is a lot larger than it appears."

Daughter-of-Axes

Summoning requirements: KNOCK 120, EDGE 60, WINTER 60.

Summoning cost: 100 bits.

Summoning details:
-The Daughter-of-Axes is capable of crafting THREE "Wrong Keys" to you, in a single turn. however, she is only willing to do that ONCE per summoning period.
-The Daughter-of-Axes is capable of CHANNELING the highest intensity of Influence in her Lore, and gifting it to you for a full month. She is also capable of CHANNELING a lower-intensity Influence of her secondary Lore, although both of you consider that to be a waste of her time.
-The Daughter-of-Axes is considered to be a Minion, and does not mind being sacrificed for Rituals.

Health: 5
General bonus: +30
"Expedition actions" bonus: +50 (applies to any expedition roll that is NOT combat [or social] related)
Aspects: KNOCK 6, EDGE 3
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. She has reached high within its ranks.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: The Daughter-of-Axes is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lore of Knock, should you fulfill her requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: The Daughter-of-Axes grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lore.
[CRAFTER]: Is capable of producing "Wrong Keys" (three in a single action, but only once per summon).

[PROUD]: Will refuse to cast any rituals that do not involve Knock.
[UNIQUE]: The Daughter-of-Axes is a unique creature. She may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three ONE full month should she be unsummoned for any reason (including if she is killed).
[UNINTERESTED]: Will refuse any gifts to stay in the Wake (however, her cooldown for re-summoning is a single full month)
[ANTISOCIAL]: All her bonus, regardless of circumstance or situation, fall down to a flat "+10" if she attempts to engage in any social action (even her usual +50 expedition bonus, if the hurdle being faced is social in nature).

"WRONG KEY" (Wrong Keys are explained here, since they are curios, but any Wrong Key you hold will be listed in together with your other "temporary items" and summons)

Consumable Item

-Can be used as a "Knock 3" reagent
-Single use (breaks when used)
-Can be used reactively to completely deny an enemy offensive ritual aimed at you or at ponies near your immediate physical vicinity.
-Can be used to instantly inflict a single wound to a summoned creature if used in combat.
-Breaks at the end of its fifth month of existence.
-Using a Wrong Key as a sacrifice to summon the Daughter-of-Axes will decrease the ritual cost by 50 bits, and will give you one level of [Priority] over any opposing rituals.
-([Priority] meaning that, if an opposing party attempts to summon her as well, you will not "compete" for the summoning and will always "win", as long as you successfully roll the minimum required for her summoning and have a [Priority] level greater than your foes).

"An old and battered uniform, worn proudly. A small knife and a blowpipe, used to lethal effect. A sagged and wrinkled face, hiding eyes that are hard and cold. Everything about this stallion is old. And yet, he wears all those characteristics as if they are medals. He moves slowly, and carefully, like a mindful grandfather. But no action he performs, from lighting his pipe to crushing a pony's bone, may be denied."

Biedde

Summoning requirements: EDGE 100, KNOCK 80, MOTH 60.

Summoning cost: 100 bits.

Summoning details:
-[CURRENTLY UNKNOWN]

Health: ??
General bonus: ??
"Specific" bonus: ??
Aspects: EDGE 6, MOTH 3
[NAME]: There is, or was, a hierarchy within the Mansus. He has reached high within its ranks.
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Biedde is willing to offer you Sacrament in the Lore of Edge, should you fulfill his requirements.
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Biedde grants a full level up to the Secret Library for his preferred Lore.
[OTHER POSITIVE PERKS, UNKNOWN]

[UNIQUE]
: Biedde is a unique creature. He may refuse summons at will, and will refuse re-summons for three full months should he be unsummoned for any reason (including if he is killed).
[OTHER NEGATIVE PERKS, UNKNOWN]

Other Rituals:

"Do not invite her to drink. Do not leave her alone with foals. Under no circumstances try to look at the hoofs of her hindlegs. She is large, larger than a pony could ever possibly be. If her horse-shaped silhouette can even be trusted, that is. She wears a dark-red and regal cloak, and she reeks of old blood. Her bony visage clacks whenever she speaks, and at times you swear she is nothing but a puppeteer's trick. And yet, for some maddening reason, you cannot point out a single thing that is wrong with her, and you cannot explain to yourself why you shouldn't treat her as anything but an honored guest."

Mareinette, Our Lady of Wires

Summoning requirements: Grail 100, KNOCK 100, HEART 100. (This ritual may never be cast again)

Summoning cost: 100 bits, to procure a black boar to be sacrificed, as well as other items besides. (This ritual may never be cast again)

Summoning details:
-Upon successful completion of the ritual, Mareinette will be PERMANENTLY and COMPLETELY summoned into the Wake. She will no longer reside within the Mansus.
-Upon successful completion of the ritual, Mareinette will be bound and obedient like a regular summon.
-However, her bindings will only last for three whole turns. It will be necessary to rebind her, somehow, once that time is up.
-Mareinette may be voluntarily rebinded by either a suitable gift, or the acquiescing of a request. She will usually offer a choice on the eve of her unbinding.

Health: ??/??
General bonus: +40 ("Old and Terrible")
"Social action" bonus: +60
Aspects: GRAIL 6, HEART 6
[ONE WHO IS VERY GREAT]: Mareinette is willing to offer you Sacraments in the Lores of Grail and Heart, should you fulfill her requirements.
[OUR LADY OF WIRES]: Mareinette is immune to the effects of "Monstrous Appearance".
[HONORED GUEST]: Mareinette can "step in" on Velvet's horseshoes, and perform social actions in her stead even if only Velvet should have been able to perform them. (HOWEVER, see "Old Intelligence")
[WEIGHT OF PRESENCE]: Mareinette grants a full level up to the Secret Library for her preferred Lores.

[OLD INTELLIGENCE]: If Mareinette is alone while performing a social action, and a vote is offered, she will instead pick the vote based on what she thinks is best. (This will be based on her personal knowledge of you, as well as her loyalty. This trait can be either positive or negative, depending on interpretation)

[MONSTROUS APPEARANCE]: Cannot be used for Social Actions. (Immune)
[PROUD]: Will refuse to cast any rituals that do not involve Grail or Heart.
[THE SECOND BIRTH]: Mareinette may choose to sacrifice a tremendous amount of health to immediately break her summoner's bindings.
[NEVER ASK A LADY HER AGE]: Mareinette may elect to hide some of her characteristics from you. (She certainly is hiding her health, and she may be hiding other negative traits or skills)
[Other traits negative, unknown]

Last edited:
[X] Professional (Non)-Disclosure
-[X] On the dreamlands
--[X] You have found a way to the Dreamlands and explored it, finding rescued dreams that confirm that Princess Luna is active in there. (This is the full truth for a report)
-[X] On Rarity
--[X] You have met Rarity, a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, and believe that you are on good terms with her.
-[X] On Twilight Sparkle
--[X] You have met Twilight Sparkle, the young mare who exorcised Nightmare Moon.
-[X] On your helping of Starry Dancer
--[X] There is no need to talk about helping Starry Dancer.
-[X] On your acquisitions
--[X] You have recently purchased an interesting curio that clearly hums with Heart, and you will study it.
-[X] On your servants
--[X] You have a stupid servant who cost you 19 bits on a stupid book, does anypony need a living body for a ritual?
--[X] Just forgive him already.
-[X] On the Things that Stalk
--[X] Mention that there are dangers in the Dreamlands, but that you have no idea what they are.

I see no reason not to mention our full progress with the dreamlands; if we don't trust them with a status report we should have left the cult before the story started. Plus, it's our job, so doing well is how we get headpats.

That being said, no need to highlight the weakness of the element bearers. That we've met them is too pertinent to hide, but I'd rather not present a lever unless we intend to recommend its use, and Spike and Sweetie Bell are our daughter's age, which feels like a line too far right now.

I have no clue why we have to pay for public library books (game balance would be fair enough; it's not something I object to overmuch), but it'd be kind of weird if we couldn't find them later, unless somebody else is stealing them. The mechanics around that might be a bit weird.

I chose both servant options for comedy more than an actual desire for his death, but am baffled that he managed to get his hands on the entirety of our remaining money and fritter it away on a single useless book, thus also invalidating our entire personal book-searching action. Like, we wasted two actions and a search result of over a hundred, because we have no money to buy them and they disappear at the end of the turn. That's insane.

yeah this works

also think maybe next turn we should maybe try to help out Windy Flanks and Jade whistle. our Noble status might be able to help windy open a few doors that would otherwise be close and we are building up a nice collection of useful lore that could help Jade.

Last edited:
"I'm joking dear, and I know what you mean," you say waving an apologetic hoof, "I'm just a bit excited because I'm visiting a friend today!"
fear the evil cultist. FEAR HER I SAY!

-A treatise on the relationship of Equestria and its neighboring lands – SECRET HISTORIES Level 3, costs 30 bits

-A dramatic reading of an ancient war – SECRET HISTORIES Level 2, costs 15 bits

-A historical atlas of Ponyville and its surrounding lands – Reveals TWO places for expeditions, costs 15 bits

sooo... meeting with Rarity went well. We met Twilight. And we found enough books to bring Secret Histories to level 3 directly. That's nice... but can we afford them? we're a bit short on bits I fear.

Actually isn't this a public library? are we paying this much just to RENT the books? no free loans?

"Oh, my turn? Well… I tried to work my way into the town hall for a few weeks, and I thought I had a shot at it. Well, a shot, until Velvet here came along!" she points at you excitedly, "she had a talk to the mayor and suddenly I became her personal assistant! I don't think I'm close enough to actually sway her, but I think she trusts me. At least enough to give me the copy of some keys, including the town hall and its archive!"

Nice of her to acknowledge our help.
[ ] On the dreamlands

-[ ] You have not found your any way to the Dreamlands.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands, beyond the crossroads and towards the horizon.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands and explored it, but found no evidence that Princess Luna is there.
-[ ] You have found a way to the Dreamlands and explored it, finding rescued dreams that confirm that Princess Luna is active in there. (This is the full truth for a report)

I don't think we have a real reason to not give a full report here.
[ ] On Rarity

-[ ] There is no need to comment about meeting Rarity.
-[ ] You have met Rarity, a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, and believe that you are on good terms with her.
-[ ] You have met Rarity, an Element bearer, and found out she has a little sister. And that is exploitable.
[ ] On Twilight Sparkle

-[ ] There is no need to commend about meeting Twilight Sparkle.
-[ ] You have met Twilight Sparkle, the young mare who exorcised Nightmare Moon.
-[ ] You have met Twilight Sparkle and her pet dragon Spike, who seems to be small enough to be an easy target.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of suggesting using/threatening Sweetie Belle and Spike as leverage though. I'd go with the middle option for both, it just feels better. It's not even a lie, we met them both and it was two good meetings. No reason to bring up the kids yet.
[ ] On your helping of Starry Dancer

-[ ] There is no need to talk about helping Starry Dancer.
-[ ] Highlight how helpful you were when helping Starry Dancer, gloating before your fellow advisors.

eh, she already acknowledged our help, no reason to gloat.
[ ] On your acquisitions

-[ ] There is no need to talk about your acquisitions.
-[ ] You have recently purchased an interesting curio that clearly hums with Heart, and you will study it.
-[ ] You have recently purchased an interesting curio of Heart, and will donate it to the Cult.
[ ] On your servants

-[ ] You have a stupid servant who cost you 19 bits on a stupid book, does anypony need a living body for a ritual?
-[ ] Just forgive him already.

I kinda want to keep the artifact as private knowledge, at least for now. Once we know what it does we can change our mind. Alternatively we could even mention it, but I'm certainly AGAINST donating 200 bits worth of artifact!
[ ] On the Things that Stalk

-[ ] Keep that to yourself.
-[ ] Mention that there are dangers in the Dreamlands, but that you have no idea what they are.
-[ ] State that there are... things in the Dreamlands, and demand your Master explain what they are.

THIS I want to ask. The more we know the safer we are... unless the knowledge itself is actually dangerous, obviously, but this shouldn't be the case here :p

-Sweetie Belle: Rarity's sister. She is your daughter's age, and seems to be terribly conscientious about her lack of a cutie mark.
...I just realized. Will our daughter become the fourth Cutie Mark Crusader :V?

So, why precisely was he walking around with nineteen of our bits? Did he run all the way back to our estate in order to take the money from us? I sure hope he's not trying to bill an expense to us that he made with his personal money, but there's no other explanation for why it'd come out of our pockets.

Edit: I'm just saying, if we ever need a pony sacrifice, we know who to call. Now to think about the vote.
You know, I always thought it was a shame what happened to the Flim Flam Brothers in their first appearance.

After that one they were mostly shown scamming ponies in various ways, but the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000™ was honestly a smart, good, working machine. They could have made good money with that by simply rebuilding it and NOT turning it up to 11 a second time.

TLDR: For every TWO levels your source of knowledge is higher than your current level, you gain ONE additional scrap from studying it.
ah. so It's no longer 1 scrap per level of the book. more difficult to raise lore, but it makes sense.

I kinda wanted to actually ASK about the dream creature, but then again it sounds maybe a bit too aggressive, and our master will likely only explain what they are if he feels like it, so it doesn't really matter if we actually ask.

I kinda wanted to actually ASK about the dream creature, but then again it sounds maybe a bit too aggressive, and our master will likely only explain what they are if he feels like it, so it doesn't really matter if we actually ask.
I say build ourselves up as a more trusted and competent cultist before we start demanding answers to things so we become too useful to just throw away out of annoyance. Though even if we get that far our leader is the lead of a MOTH cult so getting a straight answer will be unlikely.

I have no clue why we have to pay for public library books (game balance would be fair enough; it's not something I object to overmuch)

Let's just keep it as "game balance" explanation.
An argument could be theory-crafted, either that your character has a compulsion to buy the books for her personal collection (noble upbringing), or that they need to be cross referenced every now and then for Lore maintenance (so renting them wouldnt cut it), or something else. But for now this is just game mechanics.

I am however thinking about a "library card" mechanic. It would be a (cheap) monthly fee for the option of having a single book rolled for you monthly, but the book (that roll) would also disappear if you didn't study it that month.
"But its a public library, why would books disappear!"
I'd rather you think of it as "it is rented by somepony who is extremely tardy". Or else we can just have that Spike is consistently burning books by accident, and hiding it from Twilight.

And we found enough books to bring Secret Histories to level 3 directly
ah. so It's no longer 1 scrap per level of the book.

Pardon, i thought the earlier posts gave the impression that a single studying would always yield a single Lore scrap, as intended.
What was being addressed was the fact that you could have a level 0 Lore, and yet studying a level 5 book would still give you a single scrap, which i though was what the current understanding was.
Studying will always only give you a single scrap, but studying from a high-level source will yield you additional scraps over that base 1.

Back