Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Dear reader! Whether you are new here, archive-reading and whatnot, or you are already someone who has been with us for quite a while, I would like to say a few words that I believe are best kept close to mind.

-This is an MLP quest. And more importantly, none of us are gratuitously cruel. So good things will happen on this quest, and I hope that enough good things have already happened to prove that.
-This is also a horror quest, so bad things will happen. Bad things might happen to good characters if you are not able to protect them, and you most certainly will not be able to intervene if you lack the tools to do so.
-And finally, this is a quest in which you jostle with powers greater than yourself, with all that it entails.

Please, do keep those things in mind as you go forward. But ultimately, this is also a quest in which it is hoped we all have fun! So if any of the above points is not exactly your cup of tea, or somehow make the experience as a whole "not worth it", then this quest might not be for you. Which is fine! Individual tastes are a thing, so don't think any more about it if you don't want to read anymore. And regardless, I hope you have a lovely day!

PSA for whoever needs to hear it:

Readers should take their own mental health into consideration when voting and not subject themselves to triggering narrative elements like rape or constant mental torture of a friend just for the Greatest Good of a world that doesn't exist.

If those are fine for you or Regrettable is even more triggering, then GREAT! More power to you. But you aren't a bad or selfish person for picking the option that keeps the characters you've emotionally connected with safe. [REDACTED for spoiler warning]

This is a high intensity quest that doesn't hold back when it comes to horror and negative consequences. Take care of yourself.
(Quote slightly edited to avoid spoilers)

Last edited:
Changed my mind back to the eventual betrayal again, have been teetering on the edge a lot and some of the arguments in the thread have pushed me more towards betrayal though I can't really put fingers on what, I am so very much on the edge of those 2 though so it hard to decide.

[X] You nod, a grim understanding coming to you: Equestria is in danger, and something must be done about it. You have not reached the point where you think a line has been crossed, not when considering what you have just seen. But you will keep that line close to your heart, for you know that you will lose something the day you cross it, and it is not something you wish to lose if you can avoid.

I can't do anything to vote right now, but for @Undead-Spaceman @RebelYell @cedeelbe And other people who voted for choice #3 and #4, would you guys be interested in moving your votes to Choice 1.

We have roughly the same pro-cult stance though both 3/4 go farther in their aggressiveness. However 3/4 have very few votes and are unlikely to win at this point, but if you guys switch to choice 1 there is a good chance of winning and the choice is much closer to your votes than Choice #2.

Choice 2 is definitely in the opposite direction of your current votes.

#DownWeGo

Last edited:
[X] You nod, a grim understanding coming to you: Equestria is in danger, and something must be done about it. You have not reached the point where you think a line has been crossed, not when considering what you have just seen. But you will keep that line close to your heart, for you know that you will lose something the day you cross it, and it is not something you wish to lose if you can avoid.

Still there is a pleasing symmetry in voting to be on the fence, and the vote to actually go ahead and start working against the cult losing by the slimmest margins.

Adhoc vote count started by BirdBodhisattva on Sep 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM, finished with 261 posts and 83 votes.

That was insanely close, but in the end Velvet had to decide. Although if this doesn't say she is conflicted, nothing ever will.

Turn 5 to follow.

Well I'm happy that vote won, if any one remembers the 40K rebel quest the players instead of rebeling chose the heretek mechanics option instead of mutants or psykers and after chose to do barely anything rebellious or heretek in the first dozen updates and it just looked like a rehash of Deus ex Mechanicus. That was disappointing.

That is NOT to say, for example, that the whole dream sequence wasn't an illusion, or that any single other part was fabricated, not fabricated, trustworthy or not.
This rectification is specifically to avoid misinterpretation caused by writing artifices, so you know exactly what Velvet saw, or was made to see.

On all other matters, and all the other ideas raised and discussed, I will offer no remark unless directly asked.
May I ask then: what does your use of italics in the dream sequence mean?

I'm specifically not looking for OOC information here, but rather trying to understand how those should be decoded in the context of Velvet's experience of Luna's nightmare. I.e. in what way does what Velvet experiences from the italic text differ from the normal text?

Last edited:
BirdBodhisattva, I know you didn't invent the Principles but I'd still like to express how much I love them. They're all unique, interesting, and delightfully weird in their own way. And while some seem oppose each other (Heart-Edge, Grail-Winter) they're not opposites, rather than being 180 from each other they're more like 120, when their themes combine they don't cancel out, instead striking out in a direction equidistant from its parents and with its own unique personality.

That was insanely close, but in the end Velvet had to decide. Although if this doesn't say she is conflicted, nothing ever will.

Turn 5 to follow.

I like it. We WERE really conflicted after all.

Interactions with Luna once we find her will be interesting. We'll likely care about what she goes through more than the master at the very least.

just as a reminder, the winning vote and all we get from it

[] You nod, a grim understanding coming to you: Equestria is in danger, and something must be done about it. You have not reached the point where you think a line has been crossed, not when considering what you have just seen. But you will keep that line close to your heart, for you know that you will lose something the day you cross it, and it is not something you wish to lose if you can avoid.

-You will learn from the Opening Lessons.
-You will take note of the Deep Observations.
-You will accept the Terrible Revelation.
-You will remain in your cult, but you will be attentive to your actions. The decision of whether what you are doing is correct, or not, will be made by you later.
-This is the "neutral" option. Call it noncommitment or call it wisdom, but the pony sitting on the fence can see further and clearer than those on the ground.

The Opening Lessons:

-You accepted what had to be done, and aided in delivering a blow against a demigoddess, and in that there is a lesson of EDGE. Gain one scrap of EDGE Lore, if the lesson is embraced.
-A great power of MOTH was called upon, and you paid special attention to how it was called for. Though you did not understand what language was being whispered by your Master, if that was a language at all. Though you are not sure if what you saw was real to begin with. Gain one scrap of MOTH Lore, if the lesson is embraced.

The Deep Observations:

-You went deeper, and deeper, and deeper. You went down, and down, and down. And that has revealed to you that passages are not only roads or bridges or dreams, and also that roads and bridges and dreams are always passages. Taking note of this observation will award you with one scrap of KNOCK Lore.
-It was only a glimpse, but it was a glimpse through the eyes of something old, while you felt her feelings and thought her thoughts. There was something different about ancient Equestria, as if it was closer to something that is not quite as abundant today, and you felt it firsthoof. Taking note of this observation will award you with one scrap of SECRET HISTORIES Lore.

The Terrible Revelation:

-You have learned how the world will end, how all the worlds end, and you shall carry that knowledge for the rest of your life. But whether if you will carry it as a scar that only marked you, or as a burden that pains you, is up to you. Gain two scraps of WINTER Lore, unless you deny this revelation.

Regardless of your choice (unless you choose to flee), the following will also apply:

You have seen too much, you now know what exactly is at stake. And considering that "everything" is what is at stake, you are gripped by a sudden sense of urgency. You will receive +1 action per turn, as well as the option to "Neglect work to gain more actions", although those will inevitably draw suspicion.

Princess Celestia will now actively start hunting for whoever struck against her beloved sister. Delayed, as all efforts are being directed at locating Luna.

The Grand Galloping Gala has been canceled.

A vote-picking turn will follow, as your cult reconvenes to iron out the next and immediate priorities. By then the news of Luna's disappearance will already have reached Ponyville.

which means we get

1 Scrap of Edge
1 Scrap of Moth
1 Scrap of Knock
1 Scrap of Secret Histories
2 Scraps of Winter
+1 action per turn, and the possibility of gaining more by neglecting our work.

EDIT: And THIS is just from the last update. there was more before that, like the 2 scraps of Moth from out temporary transformation

We also now know a ritual that can be used to heal our wound (VERY suspicious, though we might a way to cover for it), and a way to heal our mental trauma (moderately suspicious, but we could probably sell it as getting over it if we play it right.

Last edited:
We also now know a ritual that can be used to heal our wound (VERY suspicious, though we might a way to cover for it), and a way to heal our mental trauma (moderately suspicious, but we could probably sell it as getting over it if we play it right.
Yeah, I was actually going to point that out. Honestly, the only people who would notice are, like, Silky, our husband—I forget his name for some reason—and maybe the maids? Silky is a kid, so if she even cared it would be really easy to brush off or explain away. The husband is barely even present and this easily explained as missing our "getting over it" process. And the maids... eh? We could probably get it past them too, unless they're willing to risk their jobs digging deep enough to find a discrepancy in our story.

On another note, I also noticed this:
But beware, Influences are a "mantle" around you, they are a small dose of Aspect-strength, or a legitimate overload of the thing. They might affect how you think, and they might have certain effects on your social interactions. Remember "That Old Yearning"? That was a Moth influence.
But who needs social interactions when you can have power, right?
So influences are a mantle, right? They affect both your thought processes and social interactions, and are basically wrapping yourself in the power of that Lore... which got me thinking. When the Master was surprised after the ritual, their aura of mystique disappeared. As in, to the point where we could have sworn it was just a normal pony sitting in front of us, and only failed to confirm due to the pitch black darkness of the area. Now, if they were a proper eldritch horror, that shouldn't happen. You don't just lose your unnatural nature and presence just because something caught you off-guard. Instead, I think they're honestly a normal pony, who's just been spamming high-level influences to make us think they're an Eldritch entity. It makes a lot of sense, too since they would of course want to be hiding constantly from the Big Bad Worms, and when you consider that their first instinct when trying to get us to the ritual was to just shove an influence in us. It also explains their misinformation and lack of things like the two-Lore ritual circles. I could totally see someone rising just high enough to get a very basic glimpse of the truth and maybe learn a secret or two for invoking influences, and think that makes them all sorts of wise and powerful.

Yeah, I was actually going to point that out. Honestly, the only people who would notice are, like, Silky, our husband—I forget his name for some reason—and maybe the maids? Silky is a kid, so if she even cared it would be really easy to brush off or explain away. The husband is barely even present and this easily explained as missing our "getting over it" process. And the maids... eh? We could probably get it past them too, unless they're willing to risk their jobs digging deep enough to find a discrepancy in our story.
I'm pretty sure it's less like therapy to get over a minor limp, and more like hopping up one day and not having paraplegia. Our leg is withered and gnarled; that's not the sort of thing a pony who sleeps in the same bed as us isn't going to notice changing. Not to mention how all our friends know about it, like Rarity when we were at her boutique. It's a thing we'd have to explain, unless we cut all contact with them.

Of course, our social circle isn't so broad that it'd be impossible to come up with an excuse that would stop any more controversy. We might even use the opportunity to read them in on the existence of the deeper magic; recruiting them has been an option, and our leg being healed would be a pretty good demonstration. (I wouldn't want to officially have them inducted into our cult or anything, though; that doesn't sound like it'd be good for them).

I'm pretty sure it's less like therapy to get over a minor limp, and more like hopping up one day and not having paraplegia. Our leg is withered and gnarled; that's not the sort of thing a pony who sleeps in the same bed as us isn't going to notice changing. Not to mention how all our friends know about it, like Rarity when we were at her boutique. It's a thing we'd have to explain, unless we cut all contact with them.

Of course, our social circle isn't so broad that it'd be impossible to come up with an excuse that would stop any more controversy. We might even use the opportunity to read them in on the existence of the deeper magic; recruiting them has been an option, and our leg being healed would be a pretty good demonstration. (I wouldn't want to officially have them inducted into our cult or anything, though; that doesn't sound like it'd be good for them).
...I meant the second option? You know, the mental healing, rather than the physical one? As you say removing scarred would be far too noticeable at the moment for a relatively small advantage, but removing our Scared debuff would be much less suspicious, and would make us a whole lot more capable of defending ourselves. Like, we've literally been sitting at negative combat modifiers since the beginning... in Ponyville. Where all the weird and dangerous shit happens, and with the Everfree Forest right next door. That needs to change as soon as possible.

in any case the DC are really high, so we'll want to wait to try them. And we'd likely want to start from the mental healing, which is easier to explain away.

We can consider healing the leg later, possibly once our close contacts learnt of it, or if we manage to explain it away.

For example, if we ever ally with the princesses for some reason (and can explain our knowing them to our contacts) we could say THEY healed it with some ancient alicorn magic that really tires them and can't be used by anyone else.

Or... we could, for example, say we bought a potion from someone we don't know and were desperate enough to try it. Or maybe we could pass it off as an effect of our healing artifact. It DOES affect health after all.

May I ask then: what does your use of italics in the dream sequence mean?
It was an attempt at "reading it in a different voice", so to speak.

Like say, if Velvet said "Stormchaser dear, you know how much I dislike when you tell Silky those sorts of things" versus "Stormchaser dear, you know how much I... dislike when you tell Silky those sorts of things"
Different feeling, with the punctuation helping wonders, of course. But considering how the update was large and paragraph-heavy, having a whole and longer paragraph about a single subject (the flash of Luna having made a covenant with something) felt like it would stick more if it was in full italics.

That sort of thing.

BirdBodhisattva, I know you didn't invent the Principles but I'd still like to express how much I love them. They're all unique, interesting, and delightfully weird in their own way. And while some seem oppose each other (Heart-Edge, Grail-Winter) they're not opposites, rather than being 180 from each other they're more like 120, when their themes combine they don't cancel out, instead striking out in a direction equidistant from its parents and with its own unique personality.
All the idea of the wonderful writers of Cultist Simulator!

And on other boops, certainly the "Frightened" debuff being taken away will be much less noticeable. But although there hasnt been opportunities to demonstrate it, Velvet's though process reveals she is quite the worried mom, especially considering she has a flying daughter. Certainly those closest to her, at least, will notice that she will be a lot more relaxed when dealing with her most precious filly.

Editing turn 5. Gimme a few moments.

I don't think it's worth it, Incision of the Heart is on the same order of magnitude difficulty wise as Luna's ritual, Path Through Nightmares, which required the whole cult. And all that for a -10 to personal combat on a character that shouldn't be getting into any combat anyways. I'd much prefer to get Edge to level two, that would cancel out the debuff and gets us all the other benefits from upgrading a lore.

I don't think it's worth it, Incision of the Heart is on the same order of magnitude difficulty wise as Luna's ritual, Path Through Nightmares, which required the whole cult. And all that for a -10 to personal combat on a character that shouldn't be getting into any combat anyways. I'd much prefer to get Edge to level two, that would cancel out the debuff and gets us all the other benefits from upgrading a lore.
It didn't really though? Like, sure, Jade Whistle and her people helped, but even without that the Master had enough magical muscle to power through equivalent DCs on his own if necessary. Granted, we're not nearly at that level yet, and we should definitely wait until we're closer, but I don't think it's impossible. I would also prefer not to have two levels of Lore bonus being spent on simply cancelling out a debuff that we could theoretically remove with... what, one action and 20 bits? I'm not quite sure how the rituals work with AP but it probably won't cost more than that at most.
Also, while the argument of "this character isn't meant to be in combat" has some merit, there's also the old adage about plans and enemies, and we're living in a place that isn't likely to give us much choice.
Like, I'm not arguing we do it now, and there's definitely ways to compensate, but it should definitely be done at some point. Heck, if we end up getting a Cult of our own like I want, we could get them to help without monopolizing the current one's attention and resources.
I was confused by the indefinite implied pronoun, sorry.
Perfectly understandable. To be honest, I kinda didn't realize that the bit I quoted also mentioned the physical healing ritual until you pointed it out.

Turn 5
Are you supposed to just continue to live normally? Are you supposed to just go back home, and start your day as if nothing had happened?

You step out into the streets, but you don't even bother being cautious or discrete about it. There is too much on your mind right now for you to care about anything at all.

This, all of this, has just been too overwhelming. From the moment you woke up today, it has just been one thing after the other. First of all you have these… memories about how you got to the cult meeting to begin with. You vaguely remember having a conversation with your Master, perhaps in the Woods during a dream, but after that you only recall images and sensations.

The feeling that your body was smaller than it should be, the idea that even the soft moonlight might have blinded you if you looked at it directly. Nothing that really makes sense.

And then there was the cult's gathering proper… and the ritual itself.

You saw through the eyes of Princess Luna. You were Princess Luna during certain parts of it. You felt her confusion at her sister's sudden proposal, even if it was within a dream. You experienced the incredibly deep bond that they share. You saw the world through her eyes and even felt her deep and honest happiness as if it had been your own… at least for the first few parts of the dream.

And of course, there was also what came next…

The alicorns, or at least the two royal sisters, seem to have come from somewhere else. From the "outside" as your Master sometimes calls it, or maybe you should refer to it as Nowhere. But they are not from here, regardless. And their actions, or perhaps the peace that they enforce, is causing something to grow within Equestria.

And this light, this music, whatever it might be called, is in turn attracting…

You shudder, the memory too recent and all too real for you to want to focus on it.

You felt what she felt, and after you left her body you continued to witness what she went through. It is impossible for you not to feel dazed at what happened. You are not sure if what you are feeling is empathy for the suffering of somepony you were for a short while, pity for what she suffered, shame over your own actions, or perhaps some sort of sympathetic fright, borne from the fact that during a few moments you thought that Princess Luna's agony was your own, even though you were already watching from far away.

Well, as far away as you were watching from you could still see clearly, and you could still hear.

You hope that one day you will forget that sound.

But what about it then? What can you possibly do about the things that you have just seen, the things that you have just learned? You are but a single pony, a mortal mare among the countless masses that inhabit Equestria. What can you do to stem the tides, to have some influence over powers whose scope seems to be the entire world, if not far, far more?

What can you possibly do to influence forces of such magnitude? Destroy the peace? Turn Equestria into a land of misery? Much as your Master insists that the world is not as it should be, that surely can't be the way. Equestria is still not a bad world… right?

You do not know. You have a sudden and chilling thought that, perhaps, that terrible fate you saw is the price to be paid for being allowed to feel happiness. As if the whole universe is wired in a way that no hope or joy can truly be experienced for free. This thought hits you like an icy breeze.

You do not know what to do. You are not sure if you know anything anymore.

But you are sure that you must do something, and if nopony else knows what that is, at least your Master seems to have an idea.

- - -

You are finally home and… you let out a tired sigh.

The front gate is locked, of course.

But being locked outside your own house is not the cause of your distress. Even though you are on this situation because something happened, and you have the vague memory of having jumped over the walls around your estate as you left late in the night, heavens know how.

No, what is causing your heart to weight is a simple, almost unrelated question.

"When did this start?"

You eye the keyhole of the heavy gate.

When did this, all of this, start happening?

When was the first time that you looked at a keyhole, much like this one, and started to think of it as a simple road or as a morning dream, instead of as the complicated piece of metal that it is?

You recall a few Knock secrets and focus your magic on your horn for a few moments. With a rapid succession of clicks the lock juts into an open position, its movement so effortless that you might as well have just used the real key you probably left back in your room.

When did you learn to do something like that? Or rather, the question is not when did you learn. But when did it become so obvious that doing something like this can be so simple?

You walk into the main hall of your house, although for some reason even having a roof over your head doesn't help you stop feeling that you might see something in the sky if you look up. Even though you know you will only see those things in the Dreamlands… you hope.

You go up the main stairs, towards the corridor that leads to your family's rooms, and the question strikes you again.

When was the last time, you can't help but wonder, that you walked up these stairs and actually produced any kind of noise that you could hear? You know that some of the wooden steps creak, even if only slightly, you have heard it from when the servants go up and down through it. But when was the last time that those specific spots weren't jarringly clear for you? When was the last time you did not avoid them almost out of instinct?

You open the door to your room, again soundlessly, and peek your head inside.

Your husband is still there, fast asleep and snoring lightly. He appears to be hugging your side of the bed, perhaps thinking you are still there. You try to smile at that, but not even that thought seems to summon any sort of happiness from you right now.

You go into your daughter's room instead, and sit down next to her bed. You try to gaze at her peaceful expression while she sleeps, perhaps that might help you put things into some sort of order or perspective.

But it does not help either. Every time you look at her, you wonder if she is dreaming. And every time you wonder if she is dreaming, you shudder at the thought that there might be something, at this exact moment, trying to force its way into her dreams.

To the balcony then. And if even the company of a book will not do, then perhaps solitude might be the only option left. At least for now.

At least until you sort out your own thoughts.

At least until you can answer the question that is haunting you. The question of...

"When will I ever again see the world as I used to?", you whisper to yourself as you close the balcony door behind you, locking with a flick of your magic.

You already know the answer, of course, but it still torments you all the same.

Up until now you had always seen going to the cult as some sort of hobby, a fancy that a bored noble mare would indulge in, in to forget about the less pleasant parts of her life. You always thought, even if only partially, that your Master's speeches about how the world is wrong were just semantics, a narrative that focused on certain aspects that certainly are pony-influenced, but nothing more.

But after what you have just seen? The world has never felt more wrong, like it is the mixture of several pieces that simply do not fit. Or perhaps you are the piece that no longer fits in it, so the discrepancies that were once subtle are now crystal clear from your crooked perspective.

For the whole day you think you are alone in these thoughts, alone in this point of view. For the whole day, as much as you feel your husband's worried gaze through the window of the balcony, and as much as you picture your daughter's scared expression as she spies at you, you feel you are alone in thinking that something is deeply wrong with… all of this. You think you are alone in this horrible realization.

Until the end of the day arrives and the sun does not set, as if to warn the whole world that nothing will ever be the same.

You have gained a scrap of EDGE Lore.

EDGE Lore is now level one.

You have gained a scrap of MOTH Lore.

MOTH Lore is now level three.

You have gained a scrap of KNOCK Lore.

KNOCK Lore is now level two.

You have gained a scrap of SECRET HISTORIES Lore.

SECRET HISTORIES is now level two.

WINTER
Lore is now level two.

- - -

- - -

- - -

A full week passes, ever since that morning, before you reconvened.

The six of you are alone now, in the Woods. Your Master has just left after giving you the most basic of instructions.

He seemed dismissive, almost. Distracted. Although in all honesty there was not much to be discussed. Everypony already had a good idea of what needed to be done even before the reunion started.

There was only a single detail, of course, a specific task whose only uncertainty was to whom it would be trusted. But all else went somewhat as expected.

Windy Flakes is to finish establishing the new commercial front for the cult, and Starry Dancer must get in the know with the local merchants and bit-handlers in order to help him. Her task of trying to gain influence with the ponies who enforce the law has been aborted, since there is now an active investigation going on due to a murder. A crime of this gravity is already relatively rare in Ponyville, so her sudden presence and interest could very well be equated (correctly, somepony might add) to some sort of link to it.

Comet Feet has been ordered to continue furthering his understanding of Edge, and to lay low while at it. The Master was specific for him to get away from the town, although summoning him back if needed will not be a problem thanks to the very Woods in which you stand. Copper Secateur, on the other hand, must be more active. The mare has been asked both to attempt to interfere with the ongoing investigations, as well as to try to convert as many initiates as possible, taking advantage of the current ruckus on Canterlot.

And then he gave his final and most awaited instruction, although you cannot honestly say that you expected it to be given to the remaining two of you.

"Jade Whistle and Velvet Covers are to search for the fallen alicorn. Our next step would have been to reach for the Ritual Circle that allows for three Aspects, so that we might summon creatures from the Mansus to do our bidding. But this golden opportunity cannot be allowed to pass us by. Bend your every effort into it."

After saying his piece, the Master simply left, the wind accompanying him with a strange and soft sound that almost sounded like somepony mumbling under their own breath.

And the six of you were left alone.

"Well then ladies, if you will excuse me!" Windy Flakes says with a brilliant smile, turning to walk towards the darkness that surrounds you. Comet Feet leaves at the same time, but without saying a single word.

You, on the other hand, intent to stay and discuss your plans with Jade Whistle, but you can't help but see that the other two mares are still here. Much like you can't help but notice that one of them seems to be almost rooted on the spot where she has been sitting this whole time.

"Starry Dancer?" Copper finally takes the risk, addressing the mare that has been unusually quiet, "is there anything you would like to talk to us about?"

The pink pegasus seems to think for a moment, a nervous expression marring her usually cheerful face.

"Well… I know that Master seemed busy, so I didn't have the opportunity to ask him but… are any of you…?" she clearly hesitates, and mulls over her words for a little while longer, "…about the thirty two ponies who…?"

Copper had been vague enough so that she might be asking whether if Starry Dancer had any ploys she would like to discuss, but the more you learn about Starry the more you realize these social subtleties are not at all needed with her. She may have not even worded a proper question, but you all immediately understand what she means.

The same way you can all see that she is, somewhat, dreading what sort of reactions you might all have.

"Oh Starry, why didn't you just come out and say it?" Copper walks towards her, a calming smile on her face, "we all saw the same thing you saw," she says, and you can see that she means it.

"So you feel bad about it as well…?" Starry asks, slowly, as if somewhat not sure if she should.

"How could we not?" Copper's smile turns bitter, but she keeps it on her face regardless, "but you have to agree as well that it was…"

"In order to protect what is important, sometimes one must do questionable things," Jade Whistle interrupts, or rather complements, Copper Secateur, much to your surprise. She still has her usual expression, that neutral gaze that seems to be only slightly bored.

But this time, you actually feel something a bit deeper about her tone.

"But Windy seemed to have a smile on his face and…" Starry retorts, still downtrodden.

"Windy Flakes always has a smile on his face", you talk over Starry Dancer before she can even finish her sentence, trying your best to seem well humored about it as well.

You also try your best to make it sound like it was just the unicorn being himself, and not that he was acting amused specifically because of the particular thing you are talking about. Although you strongly suspect that was the case.

"But what we mean, Starry," Copper continues, "is that we… well, I think I can say we are all in this together. We have to, after all, you know we do."

It is clear that you are all just trying to cheer her up, to embolden her even if just a little. What all of you are saying is true, or at least you think everypony is being honest. But the weight of the things you are leaving unspoken is just too heavy for this to feel like anything more than bravado. You aren't actually addressing the subject, there isn't really anything that can be said, but the three of you are still here for her regardless.

And you hope this helps her, even if just a tiny little bit. You even dare say that you hope that this helps you too, as well.

You hope that knowing that you all feel the same, and are wordlessly promising to have each other's hinds, will help you focus a little more on what you have to do. That it will shed just a little more light on the whole situation.

"I… I think I understand… thank you," she says, with a lot less energy than usual, but still with a noticeable tone of honesty, even if only dejected honesty.

The answer that you three gave her was clearly not been the answer she had hoped for. But you know that anything else would have been either cold indifference… or the little lies that you would tell a filly to shield her from the truth. But all of you have witnessed the same things, there was no way you could even attempt to say those lies. They would have chocked in your throat even if you tried.

Knowledge is never kind, and the one you all just grasped is perhaps the most unkind that you have ever learned. But you truly hope that she will manage to harness it and work upon it, rather than be consumed by it.

Much like you hope you will be able to do that yourself.

- - -

- - -

- - -

Last turn's shopping list
These are the items that you had the option to purchase last turn. They must be bought with the resources you had available then, but if bought will be immediately available for use or study at this turn.

Last turn's available bits: 201

[] ARTIFACT – MOTH Level 2, moderately suspicious, buy for 100 bits
"The cut off appendage of some insectoid creature, encased in glass. Your servant also wrote that the salespony insists that the artifact is, somehow, cursed, although he did not get into detail."

(Books not bought will be lost, other items will be available through the following turns, but have a chance of being sold to somepony else every turn)

---

POSSIBLE ACTIONS

Specify which action will be carried out by your ponyservants. They will apply ONLY your status bonus, as they will follow instructions or carry your name and influence, but they will not apply personal bonus (bonus given by Lore, personal items, personal Characteristics or of any other nature).
Some actions will be tagged with a suspicion level. These are the actions that can be carried out by your ponyservants, and the suspicion level refers to how well they would (or would not) take to your task. Tasks that involve high suspicion might be outright refused, carried out with the inevitable gossiping, or even sabotaged if your servants believe that what you asked them to do is wrong.

Keep in mind that suspicion level refers to what a servant would think if asked to perform such task, regardless of them performing them, being caught or not. If you choose to perform the task yourself, you will take the necessary steps to be as subtle as you can, but the task itself will still raise suspicion if you are caught.

[ ] Before this month starts, you will perform a ritual to draw the attention of [SPECIFY LORE] (This is a free action to summon "The Attention of the Laws")

[] How much will you dedicate yourself to your family's affairs this month? (You must pick one)

-[X] A sense of urgency: There has never been any need for this, not for this much at least. No more double-checking, no more zeal. There are far more important things to be done. (5 personal actions and 1 servant action. Does not cause suspicion. DEFAULT PICK)

-[] A measured commitment: Give everything a once-over, sign everything in stacks. The farmlands wont just crumble and burn if you miss a few numbers this month. (6 personal actions and 1 servant action. Might be noticed by those closest to you. Will not be noticed by the family head if you do not do this often.)

-[] A furious dedication: You will not be able to do what really matters if you dedicate so much of your time to such mortal affairs. Do as little as it is acceptable, then move on. (7 personal actions and 1 servant action. Will worry those closest to you. Will be noticed by the family head, although you cannot say to what extent.)

-[] A desperate obsession: Everything is falling down, everything depends on this. You will not even sit on your office this month. (8 personal actions and 1 servant action. It is guaranteed that you will be called out for this.)

This turn's available bits: 321 (minus items you decided to buy)

Monthly revenue: 120 bits/month

[] A fleeting opportunity (rumor mills spin, opportunities come and go. These actions will never be available again)

-[] You heard from Rarity that Twilight Sparkle will be going to Canterlot to try and visit Princess Celestia, due to her worries. She has not called for any of her friends to come with, but you just might "coincidentally" be visiting your family back in the capital for similar reasons. (Costs 20 bits on transportation)

[] On what must be done (searching for Princess Luna)

-[] Jade Whistle said that she will try to devise a Ritual to locate Princess Luna. The Mansus is the only advantage you have over the search parties, so helping her on this is surely the way to go.

-[] You seek the Princess of the Night, and perhaps you are the only pony in Equestria who can access the Dreamlands, bar your compatriots (to whom you showed the way). She is bound to be there. And even if she is not, she is bound to sleep, and everypony has a door.

-[] You are a noble, albeit a lesser noble. But the crown has called for every stallion and mare for help, and it would be very noble of you to join in the searches. Offering your help to the search parties will surely give you useful insight, on their progress if nothing else. Not suspicious, but servants will take no proactive action other than bring back information.

[] On the treasures that bits may buy (actions where you search for things to purchase)

-[] There are books that could be of use. You should start looking for them. All sub-choices not suspicious.
--[] In Ponyville, and its… great assortments of libraries? (no extra cost)
--[] In the great libraries of Canterlot… the ones that are open to public access, that is (20 bits in transportation)
--[] In the many small bookshops that dot the side streets of Manehattan (35 bits in transportation)

-[] In all honesty, the Cult lacks an appropriate place for gatherings, at least when it comes to lesser meetings to discuss small matters, or to simply stash certain things. Scout for a suitable place, or other buildings that might be for sale. Not suspicious.

-[] Although you are personally judicious about such habits, you are still a noble. Searching for "peculiar items" to "add to your collection" is certainly not out of place… right? Not suspicious. Suspicion might arise if you later decide to buy the item, depending on its individual suspicion level.

[] Ponyville politics (furthering your influence in this town specifically)

-[] There is somepony in charge of the "heavy lifting" within your cult, of course, but you could do with a few strong hoofs at your personal disposal. Go looking for such contacts. (Low chance for success in Ponyville, according to Comet Feet) Moderately suspicious.

-[] There are bound to be, among all of those large, strong earth ponies, some who wouldn't mind a way to make some extra bits on the side. Reach out to them. (Scout out for ponies willing to get their hoofes dirty among your own employees. Low chance of success in Ponyville, according to Comet Feet). Highly suspicious.

-[] You are the highest authority from your family in Ponyville, and have countless earth pony farmers working under you. The next logical step it to scout for those who would be loyal to you and your cult. (Scout out for cult candidates within your own employees). Highly suspicious.

-[]Copper Secateur may be in charge of finding suitable candidates, she even was the pony who first introduced you into the Wildhoof Club, but you could use followers of your own.

-[] You have access to ledgers, but only your ledgers, and the fact that most of your produce is syphoned to Canterlot or to the railroads means that you actually don't have much of a feel when it comes to the merchants and bit-handlers of Ponyville. Attempt to contact the merchant guild of Ponyville, or whoever makes bits exchange hoofs, and expand your influence. Not suspicious.

-[] They're not the Royal Guard, but they're still guards, and as much as they might not have that much work on their hoofs, they're still the go-to ponies in case something worrying happens. Find out how the guard is structured in Ponyville, that will be the first step in getting to know them better. Moderately suspicious.

-[] A pony needs not to be a faithful of your cult in order to be useful, said pony needs only know what to report to whom, and when to keep one's mouth shut. Ponyville has an underworld, small as it might be, and their eyes and ears could be useful. Attempt to contact them. Highly suspicious.

[] Canterlot politics (furthering your influence in this town specifically)

-[] Despite the current kerfuffle you have with your family, you are still a noble. Try and reach out to others like you. Expanding one's influence has to start somewhere after all.
--[] Reach out to your family, at least the ones you go along well with.
--[] Reach out to other minor nobles of Canterlot.
--[] Reach out to other higher nobles of Canterlot, although that might be more complicated.

[] On aiding the cult (options not related to your current task, but related to the cult or with interactions with its members)

-[] Help Comet Feet
--[] He is out of town in… whoever knows where. Reach out to him, he could definitely use some company.
--[] He definitely is attempting to go deeper into the Lore of Edge. Help him.

-[] Help Starry Dancer
--[] She seems somewhat rattled. You all are. Lend her an ear, or perhaps a shoulder.
--[] She is supposed to get into the good graces of the local merchants, but you can't help but worry that she will be swindled out of her every bit during the whole thing. Give her a hoof.

-[] Help Copper Secateur
--[] She was the first pony you met from the cult, and you two have become good friends. Pay her a visit.
--[] What she did when she first met you, the whole recruiting dance, seems to be something she does often. Accompany her during one such night out and see if you can be of use.
--[] She has her plate full, this time, and trying to impede an official investigation is not something to be done lightly. Offer her your aid.

-[] Help Windy Flakes
--[] You realize you don't know very much about him at all. Time to remedy that.
--[] He is setting up a new business, isn't he? Surely you can be useful on that front.

-[] Help Jade Whistle
--[] She might not be as quiet and disconnected as she seems. Get to know her better.
--[] She is attempting to devise a Ritual that will aid you in finding Luna. Help her. (Already an option as your current assignment).

[] On furthering your knowledge (actions directed at increasing your Lores, as explained in the Informational threadmark)

-[] The matters of [SPECIFY LORE] intrigues you, petition your cult's Master for a lesson (currently willing to teach all Lores up to level 4, gives a single scrap of Lore WITHOUT triggering a test)

-[] There is something about this… thing, and you must learn what it is (pick a single artifact to learn from its Lore, and check it for hidden abilities).
--[] No artifacts available. (Unless if recently bought)

-[] It doesn't have to be just during a leisure weekend evening, you can fit a few minutes of reading even when walking between rooms if you really get into it! (Pick up to two books to attempt to learn a scrap of Lore. Consumes books).
--[] BOOK, HEART Level 1. "A small book that covers a particular kind of elegant dancing".

[] The Mansus is a place of contradictions. It exists, and yet it doesn't. It is frightening, and yet it calls to you. Only through exploring it will you learn its secrets.
(Exploring a known part of the Mansus will yield the most varied of rewards, through a hidden roll of a dice. But beware that most rewards will be temporary, such as an Influence or a temporary buff. It is possible, however, to learn fragments of Lore as well, or to be rewarded nothing at all. Proceed at your own risk.)

-[] The Woods
--[] Explore the Woods, and its many whispers
--[] There are other places connected to the Woods, but that are not in the Mansus proper. Look for them.

-[] The Blank Door
--[] Explore the Blank Plains, the first afterlife of ponykind
--[] Visit the Lodge of the Sage Pony. You may not be able to talk to Baldomare, but you surely can listen very well.
--[] There are other parts connected to the Blank Plains. Look for them.

-[ ] You have studied the Lores, and are now more knowledgeable than before. It is time to climb even higher in the Mansus. (Mansus Hurdle CD 80, WINTER)

[ ] On the matters of house and heart (actions directed towards your own family, the part that you care for deeply as well as… the rest)

-[ ] Of course you love your family very much, but you could always spend a bit more time with them.
--[ ] Just another pleasant day that you will spend with them. Perfect for cooling your head off.
--[ ] Alright, this might be a BIT on the cult-y side, but… why not start giving your family subtle hints of Lore here and there? You might catch their attention, or perhaps even their interest.
--[ ] WRITE IN (other ways to spend time with your family, or anything else)

-[ ] Bits are the engine of Equestria! You have been working your hooves off for years now, so it can't be seen as scandalous if you write a letter to your father requesting an increase in your share of the family's grants… right?

-[ ] You do know "your place" in the family, but bits are still important. A letter asking for a one-time gift will surely be better received than one asking for a permanent "raise", right?

-[] You really shouldn't, but needs must. Every single ledger from the farms east of Ponyville pass through you, it would be a simple matter to have some "administrative mistakes" make some bits disappear from the coffers and appear in your pockets. Highly suspicious.

[] On those who surround you (actions directed at your contacts and friends)

-[] Go into town and try to meet somepony interesting.

-[] Sit down and work on a letter. Reach out to nobles who do not live in Canterlot. They, much like yourself, might not be deeply entangled on the webs of politics that surround the capital, but that just means they can also act with more freedom, right?

-[] Much to your own satisfaction, you now have a personal life outside of your maids, immediate family and business related meetings. You could choose to spend some time with… (SPECIFY if it will be "a social call" or "a step forward to converting said pony". SPECIFY if "you are willing to spend bits on this", for that little extra leverage)
--[] Rarity, who bears the Element of Generosity (will not deepen your connection with her, will probably not respond badly if you start attempting to convert her)
--[] Twilight Sparkle, who leads the bearers of the Elements of Harmony
--[] Cheerilee, your daughter's schoolteacher
--[] Mayor Mare, the de-facto ruler of Ponyville
--[] Filthy Rich, a well-to-do and wealthy bussinespony
--[] WRITE IN (arrange to take your daughter to meet some of your younger acquaintances, or plan something else entirely)

[] You haven't forgotten about it, you just put it on hold until a more convenient time. (Purchases done here will arrive/be completed at the end of this turn.)

-[] ARTIFACT – MOTH Level 2, buy for 100 bits (in case you have not bought it at the end of the last turn)

[] On invoking the Lores (see RITUALS for more information, as well as CD and cost. SPECIFY if you will offer SACRIFICE)

-[] "The Attention of the Laws" (specify Aspect)
-[] "The Forge's Redemption"
-[] "The Incision of the Heart"
-[] "The Path Through Nightmares" (specify target)
-[] "The End is Beautiful" (specify target)
-[] "The calling of Influence" (specify Aspect)

--[ ] To be performed your cult's gathering place, where it is discreet but the cult will know of your actions. (Jade Whistle's Cadre can currently aid with a +10 bonus)
--[ ] To be performed at your own home, where the cult will not know of your actions, but you probably will be discovered or leave traces of it.
--[ ] To be performed on another location (you do not yet know or own any such location)

[ ] Others WRITE IN (anything, but I will have to consider it, and it might make the voting period a bit longer)

Contacts who are "Good Friends" or better (currently only Rarity) have a better chance of reacting well or being useful if you include them in "Write In" options, although caution (and basic common sense on who to call for what) is advised. This might change if she is carpet-bomb called for everything.

While I honestly do not expect nearly as many voters to participate, the turns will start to get a bit more complex on their planning. There will be at least 48 hours of voting.

All voting will be in plan format, INCLUDING the decision of what was bought last turn.

And one last thing that must be addressed. IF you wish to keep the results on your attempts to find Luna a secret, make sure you do it away from your fellow cult members. You cannot be expected to convincingly lie on your reports if you take Jade Whistle to tag along, for example, or if you ask help for anypony else on that matter. Considering the mixed stand you seem to have about the Master, I figure this is relevant for you all to know.

Last edited:
Let me know if the spacing between the choices is too large now. It has also been overhawled, but please let me know if its still confusing, or if you have any suggestions on a better configuration.

Or also if I should take the liberty to remove actions that will clearly not have that much interest, and that could instead be suggested via write-ins.

If everything goes as planned, tomorrow there will be a small interlude.
Certain thresholds of Lore will trigger these, and you have reached that threshold for Moth.

But tomorrow. For now, the Character Sheet will be updated, and this will be it for tonight.

Yeah. O.k. forget morals.

If the master doesnt do something he/she/they/it is going to lose the cult entirely.

As boneyM wonderfully put it.

A small council is a weapon.

If they do not take steps to maintain and improve it, it is going to fail at the worst moment. Or they will cut themselves fumbling it.

Even with all of... this. I'm getting a real "the cult desperately wants real leadership" vibe, and its cheesing my muffins.

Dropping something like that in a bunch of ponies laps and then just... expecting them to deal with it?

Edit:
Master: "Hey. I know I just obliterated your worldview and all, but I have more important things to do! Good luck sorting it out among yourselves!"
Cult: *incoherent and eldritch screaming*

Last edited:
Back