Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Dear reader! Whether you are new here, archive-reading and whatnot, or you are already someone who has been with us for quite a while, I would like to say a few words that I believe are best kept close to mind.

-This is an MLP quest. And more importantly, none of us are gratuitously cruel. So good things will happen on this quest, and I hope that enough good things have already happened to prove that.
-This is also a horror quest, so bad things will happen. Bad things might happen to good characters if you are not able to protect them, and you most certainly will not be able to intervene if you lack the tools to do so.
-And finally, this is a quest in which you jostle with powers greater than yourself, with all that it entails.

Please, do keep those things in mind as you go forward. But ultimately, this is also a quest in which it is hoped we all have fun! So if any of the above points is not exactly your cup of tea, or somehow make the experience as a whole "not worth it", then this quest might not be for you. Which is fine! Individual tastes are a thing, so don't think any more about it if you don't want to read anymore. And regardless, I hope you have a lovely day!

PSA for whoever needs to hear it:

Readers should take their own mental health into consideration when voting and not subject themselves to triggering narrative elements like rape or constant mental torture of a friend just for the Greatest Good of a world that doesn't exist.

If those are fine for you or Regrettable is even more triggering, then GREAT! More power to you. But you aren't a bad or selfish person for picking the option that keeps the characters you've emotionally connected with safe. [REDACTED for spoiler warning]

This is a high intensity quest that doesn't hold back when it comes to horror and negative consequences. Take care of yourself.
(Quote slightly edited to avoid spoilers)

Last edited:
Turn 7 - Closing
[X]Plan What Needs To Be Said
-[X] {Age} Filly
-[X] Moth
-[X] Everything
-[X] Officially adopted (Filly only)
-[X] Not everything, but enough. Tell Stormchaser that there is more be said, but this is what he needs to know:
--[X] The Lore; enough to demonstrate the hidden nature of the world, and how we now have abilities beyond the typical.
--[X] The Worms; enough to convey the cataclysmic threat they pose.
--[X] The Moon Princess; enough to show how she has suffered, how she cannot bear the weight of her memories, and how Celestia tragically appeared in those memories.
--[X] The Cult and the Master; enough to explain where we learned what we know, and to caution that while you are largely on the same side, the Master is unlikely to treat a vulnerable Alicorn with the kindness and gentleness she needs.
--[X] Selene. How she used to be Luna; how her memories and nature have been sealed until she can deal with them; how you have made a promise to help her.
--[X] ...And your goals for her. How you intend for her to be hidden and taught and loved. Stormchaser should have enough context to understand, by this point. Why you can't bring her to Celestia - for she needs to be taught, both to recover and to face what was and what is still to come. Why you can't bring her to Master - for she needs to be cared for, and not merely used. Why she needs to be here.

[X] Plan: Maximum GRAIL power
-[X] Shopping list
--[X]
KNOCK Level 2 – "An absolutely boring encyclopedia about how the tunnels, on the mountain in which Canterlot is perched, were dug. Reading this will be a challenge…", costs 15 bits.
--[X]
GRAIL Level 2 – "It's a book. About food. It has food on the cover, so that's what it is. If your daughter ever finds it, that's what you'll tell her. If your husband finds it, however…", costs 15 bits.
--[X]
SECRET HISTORIES Level 3 – "A curious scroll, a copy from the original of course, detailing the appearance of King Sombra, centuries ago.", costs 30 bits.
--[X] At the end of the cult meeting, tip off Windy Flakes about the
MOTH artifact we found.
-[X] Before this month starts, you will perform a ritual to draw the attention of GRAIL
--[X] Apply to talking to Luna when we find her
-[X] How much will you dedicate yourself to your family's affairs this month?
--[X] A sense of urgency: There has never been any need for this, not for this much at least. No more double-checking, no more zeal. There are far more important things to be done. (5 personal actions and 1 servant action. Does not cause suspicion. DEFAULT PICK)
-[X] On invoking the Lores
--[X] "The calling of Influence" for
GRAIL
---[X] To be performed your cult's gathering place, where it is discreet but the cult will know of your actions. (Jade Whistle's Cadre can currently aid with a +10 bonus)
----[X] If anyone questions why we're doing this, claim that we're trying to smooth over the reputational knock caused by Windy Flakes invitation and maybe help some business deals on the side.
-[X] On furthering your knowledge
--[X] Study books
---[X] GRAIL Level 2 – "It's a book. About food. It has food on the cover, so that's what it is. If your daughter ever finds it, that's what you'll tell her. If your husband finds it, however…", costs 15 bits.
---[X] SECRET HISTORIES Level 3 – "A curious scroll, a copy from the original of course, detailing the
appearance of King Sombra, centuries ago.", costs 30 bits.
----[X] Invite Twilight for book study with tea and biscuits. Try to pique her curiosity with the scroll's topic and allude to possibility of unearthing unusual non-explicit, implied knowledge.
---[X] Do both of these before casting "The calling of Influence"
-[X] A fleeting opportunity
--[X] You have everything you need, or at least everything you can muster. Due to your knowledge of how the searches are going, you can guarantee that the Royal Guard will find Princess Luna soon, you devised their routes yourself after all. Time is of the essence. (Normally, Expeditions do not "expire", but thanks to your insider's knowledge you know that Princess Luna will be located by the Crown at the end of Turn 8 in two month's time. Jade Whistle might also detect her, with her ritual, from the beginning of the next month, so this action is marked as a fleeting opportunity) (Voting for the details of how you will plan the expedition will be done when it begins. See "On Expeditions" for more details)
-[X] On aiding the cult
--[X] Help Jade Whistle
---[X] Jade Whistle is a very interesting mare, even if not one of many words. Spend some time with her, and try to goad those few words from her with the help of a pleasant time.
--[X] Help Comet Feet
---[X] He is out of town in… whoever knows where. Reach out to him, he could definitely use some company... again.
----[X] Ask for a lesson in EDGE. Tell him we've come to realise that we may find ourselves having to use it in the future, and we'd like to be prepared. If necessary, be willing to talk about how we got our scar and the fear that has been with us ever since, and how we think we need to overcome it.

-[X] Ponyville politics
--[X][Servant action] You have access to ledgers, but only your ledgers, and the fact that most of your produce is syphoned to Canterlot or to the railroads means that you actually don't have much of a feel when it comes to the merchants and bit-handlers of Ponyville. Attempt to contact the merchant guild of Ponyville, or whoever makes bits exchange hoofs, and expand your influence. Not suspicious.
-[X] Rarity
--[X] Focus on her work. She has a contract with high-end merchants and a noble family, after all. (DEFAULT PICK) (Picking this focus guarantees her to succeed, not picking will still have her working throughout the month, but since she wont dedicate herself to it she will roll a test for success) [QM advises this pick. For a few months, at least.]

- - -

You are Ponpon, and you are…

Well, you are basically doing your job.

Although you have not done this particular aspect of it in a long, long time. Neither you can say that it is a part of it that you enjoy doing.

But as much as you might not like doing it in general, you are especially willing to do it right now. At least in this household.

"… like this? All this time?!"

You hear another bout of shouts, coming from a distance, and you grimace a little bit more at that.

You are on the second floor of the estate, standing a few hoofsteps away from the main stairs itself. To put it in a few words you are literally blocking the corridor, more specifically you are impeding access to the very last door on the corridor which leads to the master bedroom of the estate. But you are blocking the whole corridor because, well…

"… years, Velvet. YEARS. And… older than our DAUGHTER…"

Because raised voices, and outright shouts, can carry over very long distances.

To be honest, everypony has problems in their personal lives, and everypony deserves their privacy. However, you have found out, as the years went by, that this is something especially important to be mindful of in your career. Everypony has problems, yes, but not everypony has dozens of servants working in their house, and the absolute power to simply fire a lot of them if they are in a particularly bad mood, or if they hear a small offhoof comment about this or that. Be that comment imagined or not.

And you have seen that happen before, especially the "imagined" variation of it.

So as the longest-standing maid in the mansion, as well as because you are Lady Velvet's personal maid, it is an unspoken understanding that these sorts of more delicate situations fall under your jurisdiction. Most of the other servants, especially those who have already served in other houses, understood what is happening almost immediately, as soon as they saw you planted on the spot where you are right now.

The others, less experienced ones, simply took the clue and avoided being anywhere near the entrance hall altogether.

But this whole situation has started a while ago. As it currently stands, a few of the other older maids have already come to you for instructions about this and that, and helped spread the word that everypony was to complete their assignments as soon as possible and simply leave. You also told them to make sure that the cook had tomorrow's meals ready as well, just in case that it turns out to be "better" that as few ponies as possible come to work tomorrow.

You also told them to have somepony call for Soft Sweeps. The mare was having a day off today, by Stormchaser's leave, but… well, it is safe to say that things have changed.

Speaking of whom, as you think that you finally see her arrive, closing the large doors of the entrance hall behind her and looking around at the unusually empty place. Moments later she spots you, and makes her way up the stairs.

"Ponpon, did something happen?" she asks as she walks towards you, "Bins came to your house and called for me, saying that-"

"That is NOT what I meant, and you know it. Would you please LISTEN…"

Lady Velvet's shout, muffled by the distance and the thick wooden door, interrupts Soft Sweeps.

Her reaction is instantaneous, wings slightly opening and freezing in shock, her eyes going wide open and aimed at the door to the master bedroom.

"I… is everything…" she looks at the door, and then at you, "what's happening…?" she asks, and you hear a tinge of fear in her voice.

You let out a small sigh, and gently pat the young mare's wings back into place while you think.

Some of the other maids have already worked in other houses, you recall, as has Soft Sweeps. But her situation is rather different. She has probably seen nobles fighting, of course, but you know that she was rather… young, during her time in Canterlot, so you know she didn't have the necessary perspective to face that sort of situation.

Well, she already told you she had plenty of nobles shouting at her, but that's another thing entirely.

"Alright Soft," you say, your voice gaining the slight ring of focus it usually has when you are ordering the other maids around, Soft Sweeps included, "listen closely to what I'm about to say."

Causing her posture to immediately straighten up, knowing that you are being serious. And you smile a little at that.

Soft Sweeps is a good girl, you know.

"First of all, I think you agree when I and the other older servants say that Lady Velvet is a good boss, right? She and her family, that is."

"Of course they are!" she answers, her posture disarming a little bit at that, her expression growing slightly worried as she wonders where you are going with that.

"Yes, good. Trust us on that. But just so you know, not more than two hours ago Lady Velvet returned from her trip, and she brought a filly in tow with her. Nopony knows what the hay this is all about, but not a minute after she arrived she and her husband locked themselves in their room and have been there since then. And it looks bad."

You see Soft Sweeps look towards the ground at that, her expression thoughtful, before she looks back at you and slowly nods.

"And I… well, take it from me, this is a really good place to work at. I think it's the very best house I've ever worked in my entire life, in fact," you admit, after thinking for a few moments, "but I need you to keep in mind that this is the sort of situation that must be handled very carefully."

You say those words slowly, determined to make sure that Soft understands exactly what it is that you mean by that. You have already seen situations like this, after all. Places that were good environments turning sour because a noble family started having problems of that sort, and it usually follows that when the higher ups are in a bad spot, those below them suffer even more so. You have already seen ponies being mistreated or outright fired because of simple, even stupid, things, during moments like these.

And you know just how infatuated Soft Sweeps is with this place. You're happy for her, in fact. But you need to remind her that your employer is still a noble mare, and that this is not the sort of thing that one should mess around with.

"Listen. I trust Lady Velvet, you trust Lady Velvet, and all of us dearly hope that this will blow over in a few days, or hours if Celestia wills it. But I have a feeling that it won't. And as much as I trust our Lady, I have no idea how she might react to this sort of thing, do you understand?"

After all, your boss and her husband have practically been the quintessential lovey-dovey couple through all these years, and this sort of situation has never happened before. You have no idea if she will turn aggressive, or sour, or simply break down due to… whatever the hell just happened. You don't even know if she will simply brush it off, and walk out of her room with a pleased trot as if she just had her mane done.

What you do know is that you have to make sure that everything in this house is running smoothly, regardless of how Lady Velvet reacts.

"I… I understand…" you see her answer with a pained expression.

She is worried for them. Good, so are you, but you have the years of experience to hide it and to know how to act.

"But what do we do then, Ponpon?" she asks, as many other ponies have, throughout the day.

Of course she is asking you that. You are the head maid after all.

To some, you said that they should simply go about their duties, quietly, for the next few days. To others, you asked that they be especially attentive to rumors, after all it won't do for certain things to start being whispered about the house. You know how certain words can be the spark that makes a powder keg explode.

But you and Soft Sweeps, especially, have a few more things to be mindful about.

"You leave the two of them to me. Actually, try to interact with them as little as possible," you say, looking her in the eyes. "You have to focus on Silky, and whoever that other filly is. I know they will eventually catch up to this, we know Silky has a sharp eye for her age, but right now you can't let them come anywhere near the second floor."

Noble or not, it's always ugly to see a foal hear their parents having a nasty argument like that. You would very much like to spare them that, if you can.

"But how am I supp…?" she starts to ask, but the words die in her mouth.

And she thinks for a few moments, before nodding back to you, her expression determined.

She really is a good girl, you think with a tinge of relief.

"Any idea of where they are?" she asks, to which you shake your head.

Soft Sweeps then gives you a nod, a worried yet focused nod, before she flies down the stairs in the search for the two foals.

Leaving you alone, once again, on the beginning of the corridor of the second floor.

You hear another muffled bout of shouting, but although you can't make out the words this time you know that it doesn't sound any better than the last few ones.

You really hope this turns out alright.

- - -

It has been a while now.

The shouting has died down, but you are worried about the silence that settled on its place.

You silently approached the door when that happened, putting an ear against it to see if they were still talking, but you couldn't hear anything. You didn't hear crying, which was good, but you didn't hear anything else either.

Lady Velvet's husband is a pegasus, so you have the strong impression that she was alone in her room, now.

But experience told you that it would be better if you didn't knock on the door. You were close to her, but unfortunately not close enough to be able to help her with that.

So, you did the next best thing. You went to check on how Soft Sweeps was doing.

And you found her on the garden, with the two fillies.

"Oh, that's Ponpon! She's the maid that works with mom," you hear Silky's voice as soon as you find them.

And for the first time since this entire ordeal started, you lay your eyes on the filly that might very well be the cause for this whole situation.

"Good afternoon," you say, with a gentle smile, "I am Ponpon. What is your name?"

"I'm Selene," she answers, rather shily.

She is… well, she is a perfectly normal filly. Her coat is dark, a color that you can tell isn't exactly black, but some shade of purple or blue, and her short mane is a lighter color of that. But other than that, she is a perfectly normal earth pony filly.

Her expression is somewhere between overwhelmed and confused, but not in a way that you feel you should be worried about, so you safely attribute her current feelings to being bombarded by Silky Stream's usual excited antics, since you can also see that Soft Sweeps looks normal and unperturbed.

Outwardly unperturbed, that is. You don't miss the look that the maid sends your way while the two fillies are not looking.

"It's lovely to meet you, Selene," you say, then turning towards the other maid, "and I just came to ask if any of them would like to take a bath, since little Selene here just came from a rather long trip from what I've heard. I can have it ready in a few minutes if that's the case."

Soft Sweeps slowly nods at that. You being here is already telling, but the main bathroom is also on the second floor, so that all but confirms that, for better or for worse, she can let them go to the second floor now.

You also see a tinge of relief on her face, and you wonder if it is because she knows that the worst of the fighting must be over, at least for now, or if it is because subtly making the two fillies stay away from the mansion itself must have been extremely hard.

Probably a mixture of both, you conclude.

"Oh! Lets lets lets! I think the three of us can fit in the bathtub without a problem!" you hear Silky Stream answer, while she starts jumping in place.

To which you laugh a little bit, while Selene takes a step back from the other filly, and Soft Sweeps quickly starts saying something rather diplomatic about personal space.

You leave them at that, making your way back towards the mansion. You still have work to do, and a lot of it.

You had all the other servants dismissed for the day, after all. A slight overextension of your authority as head maid, but one that you are sure nopony will mind given the circumstances. But you still have things to take care of, so you better make sure everything is accounted for in case Lady Velvet decides to come out of her room.

You doubt that she will though, but still…

[Contact the Merchants – Servant action]

[Roll: 80 + 11 (Diplomacy) + 3 (Cult presence, Ponyville) = 94]

[You have successfully introduced yourself to the merchants of Ponyville. More options to interact with them have become available.]

If she does, at least you have a slight bit of good news to deliver to her, in the form of a report that awaits her at her desk.

Last edited:
...usually QM suffering is a good thing for the players, but I'm not sure that's the case here. Someone hold me, I'm scared.
It's another "family is a malus" thing, isn't it.
You guys worry too much. QM just wanted a few nice rounds of Mansus exploring and book hunting, not a sudden fire that needs to be put down.

Was it really too much to ask to MOTH your way through it...?

I jest, whatever you guys decide to do is lovely.

The dice clearly want a speedrun of this game, and the players are happy to oblige.
Huh...?
(Checks how low you are on the Mansus.)
(Checks if you have the first clue on how to reach Harmony)
(Checks if you have the slightest idea of whatever you have to do about the Moon of the Mansus)

I... guess...?

Editing Turn 8 to post. Gimme a few more.

Well that's good at least, though it still looks like we got into a fight with Stormchaser. At least it was the kind of fight where both of us were shouting at each other, instead of him getting pissed and us just standing there freaking out? Like, that suggests we didn't absolutely shatter our relationship, just had a disagreement. Much easier to work with, I think.

Super hero that ponpon is I doubt were going to spend any AP on her. Gift basket?

Hm.

Perhaps the best thing we could do for her anyway would be to make our house harmonious once more.

It sounds like Soft Sweeps would greatly appreciate that as well.

Last edited:
It's more that the dice went all in on the Act 1 Quest, so all the endgame progress got left a bit on the wayside.

A feeling there should be a short name for: I-do-not-regret-being-the-kind-of-person-who-does-what-I-did-but-this-has-nonetheless-destroyed-something-precious-to-me

Well, we clearly went one threshold above Wolf Bait. We skipped straight ahead to the 2 action long argument (hopefully without such a severe time cost though).
Now, hopefully, we'll have time to mend what we broke.

@PrimalShadow very interesting how the different scenarios play out

1)Do the most logical, yeat possibly heartless, thing. Get major Winter minor Lantern, and what's basically a success. (4 measures of glory, whatever that means. Probably a level cap of some sort. Forget that. It's obviously an other name for scraps of lore. 1 to reach lvl 1, 2 to reach lvl 2...)

2)Sacrifice your power to save your husband: You'd NORMALLY get Heart... but as you're giving up the power needed for the lores to actually affectthe real world when the glory is gone, you get nothing

3)Greed obviously comes with a LOT of power, but at a price

4)The hidden truth is, maybe predictably, related to Lantern and Secret History. Also Stormchaser's last words are obviously supposed to be really important, but beyond giving us a motivation/moral compass I'm not sure what's hidden behind them.
1) I should mention that 1 is the "right answer" in this situation. If the readers saw through what was going on - that they were facing an illusion/test - then choosing this option basically gives a clean victory, with no downsides or issues. Velvet contextualizes her experience as a challenge or attack, and won't worry any further about it, anymore than one would worry much after having a nightmare before realizing you are dreaming and successfully willing yourself awake. Basically, this is a "clean win".

2) In the same way that (1) is the right "right answer", (2) is the "wrong answer". You obviously wouldn't choose this if you see through the illusion, and also it is generally reckless. If this wasn't an illusion, you'd probably get a roll for how well you do; as it is, this is just a flat failure, with Velvet getting no rewards. Though, like the post says, she got exactly what she had hoped for; is that not reward enough?

3) This is also arguably a failure. The hidden trait Velvet gets is... well, it isn't exactly a malus, since it has both positives and negatives, but it is certainly a complication. But you get some extra power for it (+50% more Glory), so that is a counterweight to the trait, plus it should make sense thematically.

4) As for the Hidden truth, this is also a "right answer", in that it gets you about as much mechanical advantage, but it makes the situation a lot more complicated. It is sometimes said that ignorance is bliss, and that is a way that (1) is far better than (4). With what you've learned, Velvet is not going to be sleeping nearly as calmly.

In terms of what the truth is, exactly - well, let me offer you a nudge.

The illusion you faced was included two people: Velvet, and "Stormchaser". But of course, the actual Stormchaser was never involved; it was an illusion. So then, let me ask you a question: if it wasn't Stormchaser talking to you, then where did his words come from? If you answer this, some of the pieces should slip into place.

You know, I actually feel a little bit sorry for Selene, too. Like, she's all lost and confused right now, and we let Silky get her hands on the poor fully. Especially for a Moth Selene, that's gotta be awkward. Like shoving an extreme introvert and extreme extrovert together and telling them to play nice.

By now, I'm half-convinced that, in the end, we'll settle for a lesser victory of some sorts instead of seeking Glory.

Becoming the founder of Equestrian Bureau Institute of Mansus Exploration, I think I saw in the thread?

And... and that'd be fine , it's entirely in character and more bittersweet than sugary with spices of action and intrigue. It'd be a nice end to a nice story of a nice pony, written magnificently by a magnificent author.

...still, I crave a salty and savory taste of a Wolf-pleasing tale, despite having no arguments for changing the course of action.

/end rant
/i am terribly sorry for this, but it was boiling for a while

Actually, what end ARE we aiming for? Ascend to Glory? Restore Mansus? Alicorn of Lores? Institute of Mansus Exploration? Becoming an Hour?

You know, I actually feel a little bit sorry for Selene, too. Like, she's all lost and confused right now, and we let Silky get her hands on the poor fully. Especially for a Moth Selene, that's gotta be awkward. Like shoving an extreme introvert and extreme extrovert together and telling them to play nice.
Moth Selene is supposed to be quiet and stealthy and a bit avoiding, yes, but also a chaotic trickster! They'll be fine. It's not like she's Winter Selene...

Her expression is somewhere between overwhelmed and confused, but not in a way that you feel you should be worried about, so you safely attribute her current feelings to being bombarded by Silky Stream's usual excited antics, since you can also see that Soft Sweeps looks normal and unperturbed.
Glad to see Silky Stream is playing her part though

Actually, what end ARE we aiming for? Ascend to Glory? Restore Mansus? Alicorn of Lores? Institute of Mansus Exploration? Becoming an Hour?
To stop the Worms from consuming Equestria, however that might be done

A feeling there should be a short name for: I-do-not-regret-being-the-kind-of-person-who-does-what-I-did-but-this-has-nonetheless-destroyed-something-precious-to-me
This is a direct result of the decisions we made, and I think we should "regret" a number of them.

And by that I mean learn from them and do better next time.

Still no reaction from Rarity. As is fitting.

"… like this? All this time?!"
"… years, Velvet. YEARS. And… older than our DAUGHTER…"
...well, it's going about as well as we could reasonably hope for it seems.

It's good that he's angry and shouting, actually. Silence and Pain would be MORE worrying.

"That is NOT what I meant, and you know it. Would you please LISTEN…"

Lady Velvet's shout, muffled by the distance and the thick wooden door, interrupts Soft Sweeps.
..yeah, it's really not that bad.

Nopony is silent and unable to speak for any reason after all.

"First of all, I think you agree when I and the other older servants say that Lady Velvet is a good boss, right? She and her family, that is."

"Of course they are!" she answers, her posture disarming rather slightly at that, her expression growing slightly worried as she wonders where you are going with that.

always nice to be appreciated :oops:

And you know just how infatuated Soft Sweeps is with this place. You're happy for her, in fact. But you need to remind her that your employer is still a noble mare, and that this is not the sort of thing that one should mess around with.

"Listen. I trust Lady Velvet, you trust Lady Velvet, and all of us dearly hope that this will blow over in a few days, or hours if Celestia wills it. But I have a feeling that it won't. And as much as I trust our Lady, I have no idea how she might react to this sort of thing, do you understand?"
..I like to think that AT LEAST THESE TWO have really nothing to fear from us, but it's a completely legitimate worry.

Especially for the other, nameless servants.

Still, a bit of respect and "this isn't by business" attitude will be appreciated.

To some, you said that they should simply go about their duties, quietly, for the next few days. To others, you asked that they be especially attentive to rumors, after all it won't do for certain things to start being whispered about the house. You know how certain words can be the spark that makes a powder keg explode.

But you and Soft Sweeps, especially, have a few more things to be mindful about.

"You leave the two of them to me. Actually, try to interact with them as little as possible," you say, looking her in the eyes. "You have to focus on Silky, and whoever that other filly is. I know they will eventually catch up to this, we know Silky has a sharp eye for her age, but right now you can't let them come anywhere near the second floor."

Noble or not, it's always ugly to see a foal hear their parents having a nasty argument like that. You would very much like to spare them that, if you can.
Good plan.

Bless you, PonPon. Really.

[Contact the Merchants – Servant action]

[You have successfully introduced yourself to the merchants of Ponyville. More options to interact with them have become available.]

If she does, at least you have a slight bit of good news to deliver to her, in the form of a report that awaits her at her desk.
well, at least some good news.

I'll say that, while it's interesting to see this from the outside, I think the previous not-update with Velvet and Stormchaser was better though. Then again this probably didn't go THAT differently. slightly less hurtful to Stormchaser, but not much more than that.

Also we don't get to see the roll apparently?

Stopping the Worm apocalypse, though personally I'm holding out for... well, all of these as the method. Lore Alicorn status would probably come from mixing Harmony and Glory somehow, and so probably include Each of these.

Turn 8
You are Velvet Covers, and a lot of things have happened recently, in a very short span of time.

Due to your lateness, the Expedition cost its full price. 50 bits have been deducted from your personal coffers.

You have had a nasty argument with your husband. Your marital situation can be currently described as "strained" because of that.

You have chosen to harshly reveal a truth, with no thought of how that could affect the receiving party. You have gained one scrap of LANTERN Lore.

You have NOT told Stormchaser about the following:

-The more unsettling details about your Master's nature, or at least what little you have interacted with them (your husband does not know that your Master is... well, he thinks they are a regular pony);
-The murders you believe your cult has committed;
-The cult's actions about Princess Luna's ritual and eventual disappearance;
-Details about the cult itself, and details about the Lores.

Your husband is now aware that the "book club" is a cult, that a reasonable amount of ponies are a part of it, that the Lores exist and are real, that the Worms exist, that Selene is Princess Luna and the reason as to why she cannot be taken to Princess Celestia.

Your husband was shocked, and feels betrayed that you have hidden that for so long. He will be absent for a few days, but will return before your turn properly "starts". He was also shocked that you told him that "there is more to be said", but not telling him more than you did was better than telling him everything.

Your daughter will realize something is wrong as soon as her father returns.

Due to your good standing with your servants, your daily life will hopefully not be very much affected by this latest turn of events. Ponpon, especially, will watch your back from behind the curtains.

[And how well did you take that? Breakpoints 30/60/100]

[Roll: 51 + 8 (Martial) + 10 (WINTER bonus) = 69]

[First breakpoint reached: You will NOT be forced to take an action regarding Stormchaser]

[Second breakpoint reached: You will NOT receive a general "-10" malus during this round due to stress]

[Third breakpoint failed: You WILL receive a general "-10" malus due to stress if you do not devote an action to addressing this situation, this turn]

- - -

Things… did not turn out the way you hoped they would.

Stormchaser left.

That is a combination of words you never thought you would think about, much less witness, but he left. He looked around the room, looked at you, as if he couldn't recognize any of it, and simply said he needed time to think as he went for the window.

The worst part was that you could tell that doing that hurt him as much as it is hurting you right now.

And a part of you thinks you deserve this pain.

You stood there, facing the open window, for a long time. Your bed felt very cold and empty after that.

But you can't let that shake you down, you still have important things to do. First and foremost, you have a daughter to take care of, and make sure that she doesn't… well, you don't really expect to be able to hide that from Silky, seeing how awfully clever she is. But you fully hope that you will be able to tone it down as much as possible.

Actually, you have two daughters to take care of now, don't you? Three if you count Soft, but she's a grown mare so you will actually be relying on her a lot for this whole situation.

Anyways. Yes, two daughters. It is strange to think that you are doing this to Princess Luna, but…

When you think that you are doing this for Selene, a small and frightened filly who is the very opposite of an immortal alicorn, and when you think about the experience you had on that abandoned house… When you think back on the promise that you made, it feels a lot more obvious and clear to be doing this. It feels natural, even.

You promised her parents you would take care of her. You promised her that you will take care of her.

So now you have two daughters.

With that in mind, you make triple sure that you are presentable as you look at yourself on the mirror, before you head towards the door and gently unlock it with a flick of magic.

You had the whole night to wallow in your own misery, but you keep that part of you inside your room as you close the door behind you. It might be waiting for you there when you return at night, you know, but right now you have things that are more important than yourself to take care of.

You are also very hungry, seeing that you have not eaten in more than a full day.

"Ah! There are my girls, good morning," you say, as you step into the dining room.

"Mom! Good morning! Welcome back!" Silky immediately jumps in your direction, wings buzzing as she zips towards your chest, enveloping you in a hug.

"I missed you too, dear," you say honestly as you hug her back, not really finding it in you to remind her that she shouldn't fly in the dining room.

Rules are important, sure, but so are exceptions.

"And good morning Selene, did you sleep well?" you ask towards the other filly, who is nervously sitting on one of the chairs around the long table.

It is rather curious, now that you look at her more calmly. She is looking rather meek, for a lack of better word, and you can only imagine how utterly intimidating this whole ordeal must be to her. Not to say frightening, even.

But more than that, there is something about her that… that makes her hard to notice?

Maybe it's the way her mane is cut short, lending her an even smaller frame. Maybe it's the way she is sitting, a posture that is neither one in which she is crouching or trying to hide, nor is it one that is exactly outgoing and comfortable.

That particular trait, that strange impression you had just now, makes you immediately worried that she might be the kind of filly that is especially easy to lose in a crowd, of course.

But considering her situation… that trait of her might actually be for the best.

"Hi Mrs. Velvet…" she answers, still looking towards her food as she talks, her tone low, "and I slept fine…"

You gently nod at that, while you hear Silky excitedly say how she showed her around the estate yesterday.

"That's very good to hear. From the two of you," you say with a smile as you float your daughter back to her seat with a flick of your horn. "But I have something important to say, so I would like you to listen carefully," you continue.

Which gets the attention of the two fillies.

"Actually, I have something important to say to all of you," you also address Soft Sweeps and Ponpon, who are standing on the sides of the room, "and I'd like to ask you to relay that to everypony else in the house, Ponpon."

The two of them nod at you, their expressions somewhat curious as well.

Well, if they are curious then that shows you that Selene probably did not mention it to anypony yesterday, since she is the only one, apart from Stormchaser and Rarity, to whom you have disclosed the information you are about to reveal.

"Well," you say, mostly focusing on the two fillies, on Silky specifically, as you speak, "I found Selene while I was travelling, as you probably realized, and she is a filly who very much needed help when I found her. And I know that you must have noticed that as well, when you met her yesterday, so I really hope you can help her with whatever it is that she needs from now on."

You see Selene cringe a little bit at the sudden attention being directed at her, but Silky nods at that, her excited smile giving way to something a little bit more focused.

Something close, perhaps, to the focus you saw on her face yesterday when she first saw Selene. But not quite that, obviously, not quite a "click".

"Now, I don't mean what I am going to say next in a mean way, and I would like to ask that this particular tidbit stays between us. Everypony in this room are ponies you can trust, Selene," you continue, gently saying towards the other filly, "so letting them know this will help."

You then turn towards the two maids for a few moments, seeing them nod as well.

"But I need you all to know that Selene here unfortunately has no memories of how her life was, before I found her. All she could remember when we met was her name. So I hope we can all be especially nice to her, while she is here."

You face the two fillies again, as you finish what you need to say.

"Especially because me and your father are going to adopt Selene. I know this kind of thing takes time, and everything will happen as slowly as they need to happen," you say towards Selene, your voice even covered with a tone of experience as you recall how your own marriage started, as you recall how important it is to pace this sort of thing, "but from now on, the two of you are sisters." You finish with a smile, saying those last few words to Silky.

It is safe to say that Silky Stream is overjoyed when she hears that.

It is also rather ironic how it can be said that she is beaming like the sun at that, since from now on she will officially be Selene's sister.

The other filly, however, simply nods in a rather uncomfortable way.

But you know you really can't blame Selene for her reaction, you think.

After all, you have not told her who she is, neither do you plan to do so for a long time. So, she is nothing but a filly without memories, who woke up one day on an abandoned house with nothing but a strange mare promising to take care of her.

With all your heart, you hope that you will be able to slowly show her that you will make good of your promise. You hope that, above all else, she can be happy here.

You also privately hope that, much like how you were "forced" into marrying Stormchaser but slowly turned into the happiest mare in the world yourself, that your decision right now is one that will allow Selene to be equally happy.

At least for as long as she stays here with you.

And you don't even finish thinking about all of that before Silky throws herself at her newfound sister with a tackle hug.

To your surprise, however, Soft Sweeps is already upon them before you can even finish charging your horn with magic. That sort of thing must be habitual from your daughter, you realize, if Soft has already developed such a reflex.

- - -

Last turn's shopping list

These are the items that you had the option to purchase last turn. They must be bought with the resources you had available then, but if bought will be immediately available for use or study at this turn.

Last turn's available bits: 61

-There are no items to be bought from last turn.

(Books not bought will be lost, other items will be available through the following turns, but have a chance of being sold to somepony else every turn)

- - -

POSSIBLE ACTIONS

Specify which action will be carried out by your ponyservants. They will apply ONLY your status bonus, as they will follow instructions or carry your name and influence, but they will not apply personal bonus (bonus given by Lore, personal items, personal Characteristics or of any other nature).

Some actions will be tagged with a suspicion level. These are the actions that can be carried out by your ponyservants, and the suspicion level refers to how well they would (or would not) take to your task. Tasks that involve high suspicion might be outright refused, carried out with the inevitable gossiping, or even sabotaged if your servants believe that what you asked them to do is wrong.

Keep in mind that suspicion level refers to what a servant would think if asked to perform such task, regardless of them performing them, being caught or not. If you choose to perform the task yourself, you will take the necessary steps to be as subtle as you can, but the task itself will still raise suspicion if you are caught.

[] Before this month starts, you will perform a ritual to draw the attention of [SPECIFY LORE] (This is a free action to summon "The Attention of the Laws")

[] How much will you dedicate yourself to your family's affairs this month? (You must pick one)

-[X] A sense of urgency: There has never been any need for this, not for this much at least. No more double-checking, no more zeal. There are far more important things to be done. (5 personal actions and 1 servant action. Does not cause suspicion. DEFAULT PICK)

-[] A measured commitment: Give everything a once-over, sign everything in stacks. The farmlands won't just crumble and burn if you miss a few numbers this month. (6 personal actions and 1 servant action. Might be noticed by those closest to you. Will not be noticed by the family head if you do not do this often.)

-[] A furious dedication: You will not be able to do what really matters if you dedicate so much of your time to such mortal affairs. Do as little as it is acceptable, then move on. (7 personal actions and 1 servant action. Will worry those closest to you. Will be noticed by the family head, although you cannot say to what extent.)

-[] A desperate obsession: Everything is falling down, everything depends on this. You will not even sit on your office this month. (8 personal actions and 1 servant action. It is guaranteed that you will be called out for this.)

This turn's available bits: 181 (minus items you decided to buy)

Monthly revenue: 120 bits/month

CONFIDANTS AND SUMMONS

-The ponies and creatures listed below can be given a "focus" for this turn. Not mentioning them will incur in their "default picks" being selected. Be wary, also, to the "expiration date" of summons.

-The ponies and creatures listed below may be safely taken for a single one-turn (five days) Expedition without hampering their "focus". Taking them for a two-turn (6+ days) or greater Expedition will cause them to not execute their selected "focus".

Rarity (currently an Enlightened, GRAIL Level 0, FORGE Level nonexistent):

Current Health: 2/3

-[] Focus on getting better. (This will regenerate her health fully without the need to throw a dice. Since she currently has your HEART artifact, picking this action is probably not needed)

-[X] Focus on her work. She has a contract with high-end merchants and a noble family, after all. (DEFAULT PICK) (Picking this focus guarantees her to succeed, not picking will still have her working throughout the month, but since she won't dedicate herself to it she will roll a test for success) [QM advises this pick. For a few months, at least.]

-[] Accompany you, and lend her hoof. (Pick HALF of your own personal actions, rounded DOWN, and Rarity will accompany you while you perform them, giving narrative advantages or mechanical buffs as needed)

-[] Act as your emissary. (Pick an EXTRA action from your own pool, Rarity will perform it to the best of her abilities, ALONE, and report to you later)

-[] Call her. Give her tasks, and books, and lessons. Turn her into an Initiate. (This will level her up, at the expense of her own focus action instead of an action of your own)

-[] Call her, you have a lot of things to tell her… and then a few introductions to make. (Induct her into the cult)

-[] Lead an Expedition. (Select her as the leader of an Expedition in which you will not take part, plan the other details of the expedition accordingly. You will still have to fund the Expedition yourself)

-[] Other (WRITE IN, in case you have a viable idea that I have not thought about. Certain ideas might even enter this list if they make sense)

Selene (MOTH 1; WINTER 0; EDGE 0; KNOCK 0):

As an alicorn, Selene has TWO actions.

-[X] Go play. (Selene will live a normal and happy life. This option costs one of her actions, it will always be picked, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.)

-[] What might be learned from a simple game of hide-and-seek? (Subtly teach Selene a lesson of MOTH)

-[] Whatever happens, there are always certainties in life, and family is one of them. You will always have us, so don't worry. (Subtly teach Selene a lesson of WINTER)

-[] Life is an adventure, so go live it! (Subtly teach Selene a lesson of EDGE)

-[] There is always something more to be learned from our dreams. (Subtly teach Selene a lesson of KNOCK)

[] A fleeting opportunity (rumor mills spin, opportunities come and go. These actions will never be available again)

-[] You have a marriage to… well, you hope it doesn't come down to "save". But you have a husband to talk to. (WRITE IN how you will breach the subject, or don't if you want Velvet to do it herself)

[] On what must be done (searching for Princess Luna)

-[] Jade Whistle said that she will try to devise a Ritual to locate Princess Luna. The Mansus is the only advantage you have over the search parties, so helping her on this is surely the way to go.
--[] Honestly help her.
--[] Subtly attempt to sabotage her efforts and win yourself time.

[] On the treasures that bits may buy (actions where you search for things to purchase)

-[] There are books that could be of use. You should start looking for them. All sub-choices not suspicious.

--[] In Ponyville, and its… great assortments of libraries? (no extra cost) (HEART, FORGE)
--[] In the great libraries of Canterlot… the ones that are open to public access, that is (20 bits in transportation) (applies "Royal Favor") (LANTERN, GRAIL, SECRET HISTORIES)
--[] In the many small bookshops that dot the side streets of Manehattan (35 bits in transportation) (MOTH, EDGE, KNOCK)

(Due to SECRET HISTORIES 3, now you have a better idea of what you are more likely to find in each city)

-[] The cult now has an appropriate place to meet, but you could still use a discrete location that is all your own. Scout for a suitable place, or other buildings that might be for sale. Not suspicious.

-[] Although you are personally judicious about such habits, you are still a noble. Searching for "peculiar items" to "add to your collection" is certainly not out of place… right? Not suspicious. Suspicion might arise if you later decide to buy the item, depending on its individual suspicion level.

[] Ponyville politics (furthering your influence in this town specifically)

-[] There is somepony in charge of the "heavy lifting" within your cult, of course, but you could do with a few strong hoofs at your personal disposal. Go looking for such contacts. (Low chance for success in Ponyville, according to Comet Feet) Moderately suspicious.

-[] There are bound to be, among all of those large, strong earth ponies, some who wouldn't mind a way to make some extra bits on the side. Reach out to them. (Scout out for ponies willing to get their hoofs dirty among your own employees. Low chance of success in Ponyville, according to Comet Feet). Highly suspicious.

-[] You are the highest authority from your family in Ponyville, and have countless earth pony farmers working under you. The next logical step it to scout for those who would be loyal to you and your cult. (Scout out for cult candidates within your own employees). Highly suspicious.

-[]Copper Secateur may be in charge of finding suitable candidates, she even was the pony who first introduced you into the Wildhoof Club, but you could use followers of your own.

-[] You now have a better grasp of the merchants in Ponyville, having had several letters of introduction sent around in your name. But what would you like to do next?
--[] Meet a few of them in person, and ingrain them to your cause. (WRITE IN if you will try to win them as personally loyal to you, or if you will point them in the direction of the cult)
--[] They are bit handlers, and that means they are a source of income. "Borrow" a few bits from your family and do a few quick investments. Everything will be back to its place by the end of the month, and you will be a little richer for that. (Attempt to gain a few more bits on the side, using your family's fortune as a lever) Highly suspicious.
--[] They know somepony who knows somepony who knows somepony. Use that to your advantage. (Ask them to search for an artifact. Specift LORE and LEVEL, up to Level 3. It will be added to your available list, but will be more expensive than normal) Not suspicious.
--[] Something else. WRITE IN.

-[] They're not the Royal Guard, but they're still guards, and as much as they might not have that much work on their hoofs, they're still the go-to ponies in case something worrying happens. Find out how the guard is structured in Ponyville, that will be the first step in getting to know them better. Moderately suspicious.

-[] A pony needs not to be a faithful of your cult in order to be useful, said pony needs only know what to report to whom, and when to keep one's mouth shut. Ponyville has an underworld, small as it might be, and their eyes and ears could be useful. Attempt to contact them. Highly suspicious.

[] Canterlot politics (furthering your influence in this town specifically)

-[] Despite the current kerfuffle you have with your family, you are still a noble. Try and reach out to others like you. Expanding one's influence has to start somewhere after all.
--[] Reach out to your family, at least the ones you go along well with.
---[] Reach out to your mother, as much as it might be… complicated. (costs 20 bits in transportation)
---[] Attempt to locate your older brother, Velvet Wings, as much as it might be difficult. (attempt to locate him, at first, via correspondence)
---[] Go there yourself and try to talk to your younger brother, Velvet Pride, although getting caught will probably be bad. (costs 20 bits in transportation, involves invading your family's own mansion)

-[] Reach out to other minor nobles of Canterlot.

-[] Reach out to other higher nobles of Canterlot, although that might be more complicated.

[] On aiding the cult (options not related to your current task, but related to the cult or with interactions with its members)

-[] The Bright Library! Windy Flakes mentioned he has a hall ready for it, but you still need to hash out the details with him, as well as prepare the books you have already read so they can be placed there.

-[] Help Comet Feet
--[] He is out of town in… whoever knows where. Reach out to him.
--[] He definitely is attempting to go deeper into the Lore of Edge. Help him.

-[] Help Starry Dancer
--[] Now that you know her a bit better, you can always just spend time with her.
--[] The mare seems to be on a good streak and in high spirits. This time, she is supposed to get on the good graces of guards and law enforcers, and you are interested in helping her.

-[] Help Copper Secateur
--[] She was the first pony you met from the cult, and you two have become good friends. Pay her a visit.
--[] What she did when she first met you, the whole recruiting dance, seems to be something she does often. Accompany her during one such night out and see if you can be of use.

-[] Help Windy Flakes
--[] You realize you don't know very much about him at all. Time to remedy that.
--[] His business is all set up, and now he has to run it. And do you know who is good at running businesses? That's right, you are.
--[] Windy Flakes has messed with you, so now you will mess with him. (WRITE-IN HOW, specify if you will do it with good intentions [just to scare him] or with bad intentions [actually hinder him])

-[] Help Jade Whistle
--[] Jade Whistle is a very interesting mare, even if not one of many words. Spend some time with her, and try to goad those few words from her with the help of a pleasant time.
--[] She is attempting to devise a Ritual that will aid you in finding Luna. Help her. (Already an option as your current assignment).

[] Set out on an Expedition.

-[] You don't have anywhere interesting to go, currently. Look for one. (Attempt to locate an interesting place to prepare an Expedition to. WRITE IN, if any specific theme is in mind.)

[] On furthering your knowledge (actions directed at increasing your Lores, as explained in the Informational threadmark)

-[] The matters of [SPECIFY LORE] intrigues you, petition your cult's Master for a lesson (currently willing to teach all Lores up to level 4, gives a single scrap of Lore WITHOUT triggering a test)

-[]WRITE IN, to petition your Master for a question. (Mind you, however, that this will involve "trying" to talk to him, not a guaranteed audience, and he just might be very Moth about his answer.)

-[] There is something about this… thing, and you must learn what it is (pick a single artifact to learn from its Lore, and check it for hidden abilities).
--[] No artifacts available. (Unless if recently bought)

-[] It doesn't have to be just during a leisure weekend evening, you can fit a few minutes of reading even when walking between rooms if you really get into it! (Pick up to two books to attempt to learn a scrap of Lore. Consumes books).

--[] BOOK, HEART Level 1. "A small book that covers a particular kind of elegant dancing".
--[] BOOK, FORGE Level 2. "A book about ingenious farming equipment, and how they function".
--[] BOOK, HEART Level 2. "A novel about a mare who fell in love with a drummer, the romantic parts all written in rhyming poetry".
--[] BOOK, HEART Level 3. "A study about yak culture. The part about their history and folklore is of little use. The chapters about their songs, however…".
--[] BOOK, KNOCK Level 2 – "An absolutely boring encyclopedia about how the tunnels, on the mountain in which Canterlot is perched, were dug. Reading this will be a challenge…"
--[] Some other book (select a book you have bought this turn)

[] The Mansus is a place of contradictions. It exists, and yet it doesn't. It is frightening, and yet it calls to you. Only through exploring it will you learn its secrets.
(Exploring a known part of the Mansus will yield the most varied of rewards, through a hidden roll of a dice. But beware that most rewards will be temporary, such as an Influence or a temporary buff. It is possible, however, to learn fragments of Lore as well, or to be rewarded nothing at all. Proceed at your own risk.)

-[] The Woods
--[] Explore the Woods, and its many whispers.
--[] There are other places connected to the Woods, but that are not in the Mansus proper. Look for them.

-[] The Blank Door
--[] Explore the Blank Plains, the first afterlife of ponykind.
--[] Visit the Lodge of the Sage Pony. You may not be able to talk to Baldomare, but you surely can listen very well.
--[] There are other parts connected to the Blank Plains. Look for them.

-[] You have studied the Lores, and are now more knowledgeable than before. It is time to climb even higher in the Mansus. (Mansus Hurdle CD 80, WINTER) (applies DIPLOMACY to traverse the Blank Plains, and SECRET HISTORIES Bonus to search, added to your WINTER Level)

[] On the matters of house and heart (actions directed towards your own family, the part that you care for deeply as well as… the rest)

-[] Of course you love your family very much, but you could always spend a bit more time with them.
--[] Just another pleasant day that you will spend with them. Perfect for cooling your head off.
--[] Alright, this might be a BIT on the cult-y side, but… why not start giving your family subtle hints of Lore here and there? You might catch their attention, or perhaps even their interest.
--[] WRITE IN (other ways to spend time with your family, or anything else)

-[] You are on the good graces of Velvet Steppes, your uncle, although he feels like the pony who has his entire family on his good graces to begin with.
--[] Call him over! He hasn't met his own grandniece yet, after all, and better late than never when it comes to knowing him better.
--[] He is called the Facilitator. You have no idea why, but the effect is self-explanatory. Ask for his help regarding… (WRITE IN a favor you would like to ask, or COMBINE this action with another, to involve your uncle in it) (Your uncle is very good at making things easier)

-[] Bits are the engine of Equestria! You have been working your hooves off for years now, so it won't be seen as scandalous if you write a letter to your father requesting an increase in your share of the family's grants… right?

-[] You do know "your place" in the family, but bits are still important. A letter asking for a one-time gift will surely be better received than one asking for a permanent "raise", right?

-[] You really shouldn't, but needs must. Every single ledger from the farms east of Ponyville pass through you, it would be a simple matter to have some "administrative mistakes" make some bits disappear from the coffers and appear in your pockets.
--[] Have a servant do it, having an actual scapegoat is ideal if things go wrong. Highly suspicious.
--[] Do it yourself, it's better this way.
--[] Wait, right, the Wildhoof Club. Get in touch with Windy Flakes, and see how serious he was when he mentioned the whole "laundering bits" thing.

[] On those who surround you (actions directed at your contacts and friends)

-[] Go into town and try to meet somepony interesting.

-[] Sit down and work on a letter. Reach out to nobles who do not live in Canterlot. They, much like yourself, might not be deeply entangled on the webs of politics that surround the capital, but that just means they can also act with more freedom, right?

-[] Much to your own satisfaction, you now have a personal life outside of your maids, immediate family and business related meetings. You could choose to spend some time with… (SPECIFY if it will be "a social call" or "a step forward to converting said pony". SPECIFY if "you are willing to spend bits on this", for that little extra leverage)
--[] Teach Rarity, and have her turn into an Initiate
--[] Induct Rarity into the cult
--[] Twilight Sparkle, who leads the bearers of the Elements of Harmony
--[] Cheerilee, your daughter's schoolteacher
--[] Mayor Mare, the de-facto ruler of Ponyville
--[] Filthy Rich, a well-to-do and wealthy bussinespony
--[] WRITE IN (arrange to take your daughter to meet some of your younger acquaintances, or plan something else entirely)

[] You haven't forgotten about it, you just put it on hold until a more convenient time. (Purchases done here will arrive/be completed at the end of this turn.) (Does NOT cost an action)

-[] ARTIFACT – MOTH Level 2, buy for 100 bits.

[] On invoking the Lores (see RITUALS for more information, as well as CD and cost. SPECIFY if you will offer SACRIFICE)

-[] "The Attention of the Laws" (specify Aspect)
-[] "The Forge's Redemption"
-[] "The Incision of the Heart"
-[] "The Path Through Nightmares" (specify target)
-[] "The End is Beautiful" (specify target)
-[] "The calling of Influence" (specify Aspect)

--[ ] To be performed your cult's gathering place, where it is discreet but the cult will know of your actions. (Jade Whistle's Cadre can currently aid with a +10 bonus)
--[ ] To be performed at your own home, where the cult will not know of your actions, but you probably will be discovered or leave traces of it.
--[ ] To be performed on another location (you do not yet know or own any such location)

[ ] Others WRITE IN (anything, but I will have to consider it, and it might make the voting period a bit longer)

Keep in mind you have ONE LESS ACTION this turn due to the Expedition nat 1.

Contacts who are "Good Friends" have a better chance of reacting well or being useful if you include them in "Write In" options, although caution (and basic common sense on who to call for what) is advised. This might change if a contact is carpet-bomb called for everything.

There will be at least 48 hours of voting.

All voting will be in plan format. DO NOT INCLUDE actions you do not wish to take. No need to specify that "you will NOT buy X item" if you do not want to buy it. Merely do not mention it.

Velvet Covers is devoted to taking care of Selene. Actions that may ultimately lead to said duty being threatened will be extremely difficult to pull off. QM will comment if anything like that is being voted on.

Voting is getting more complicated. Kindly observe a
SIX HOUR MORATORIUM before suggesting your plans, so as to avoid editing them too much, and to have enough discussion to know what you intend to lay down. These six hours are included in the first hours of the 48 hour period.

I hope I don't have to say that all actions are subject to writing-ins. Don't feel constrained by the abovementioned options, but keep in mind that they might be vetoed for in-character reasons.

[] The Attention of the Laws [SPECIFY LORE]

[] Number of actions
-[] 4+1
-[] 5+1
-[] 6+1
-[] 7+1

[] Rarity
-[] Heal
-[X] Focus on her work.
-[] Accompany you.
-[] Act as your emissary.
-[] Level her up.
-[] Induct into cult

[] Selene
-[] Moth.
-[] Winter.
-[] Edge.
-[] Knock.

[] A fleeting opportunity
-[] Talk to your husband (Write in?)

-[] Help Jade Whistle on her Ritual.
--[] Honestly help her.
--[] Subtly sabotage.

[] Shopping
-[] Books
--[] In Ponyville.
--[] In Canterlot.
--[] In Manehattan.
-[] Search for a place to buy in Ponyville.
-[] Search for Artifact

[] Ponyville politics
-[] Look for muscle-for-hire in town.
-[] Look for muscle-for-hire among your employees.
-[] Scout for cult candidates among your employees.
-[] Scout for cult candidates in town.
-[] Merchants
--[] Interact
--[] Attempt to raise bits for yourself.
--[] Ask for specific Lore artifact.
--[] WRITE IN.
-[] Contact Guard and law enforcement.
-[] Contact underworld(?) of town.

[] Canterlot politics (furthering your influence in this town specifically)
-[] Your family
--[] Contact your mother.
--[] Look for your older brother.
--[] Contact your younger brother.
-[] Reach out to other minor nobles.
-[] Reach out to higher nobles.

[] On aiding the cult
-[] The Bright Library
-[] Help Comet Feet
--[] Contact him.
--[] Help him with his task.
-[] Help Starry Dancer
--[] Contact her.
--[] Help her with her task.
-[] Help Copper Secateur
--[] Contact her.
--[] Help her with her task.
-[] Help Windy Flakes
--[] Contact him.
--[] Help him with his task.
--[] Get back at him.
-[] Help Jade Whistle
--[] Contact her.
--[] Help her with her task. (already on Fleeting Oportunities)

[] Set out on an Expedition.
-[] Look for a place to go.

[] On furthering your knowledge
-[] Lesson from Master [SPECIFY LORE]
-[] Ask Master a question (risky)
-[] Study artifact (none availabe)
-[] Read book (write in which)

[] The Mansus
-[] The Woods
--[] Explore.
--[] Look for other places connected to it.
-[] The Blank Door
--[] Explore.
--[] Visit Baldomare
--[] Look for other places connected to it.
-[] Go higher in the Mansus

[] Personal life
-[] Family
--[] Idle interaction
--[] Attempt to teach Lore.
--[] WRITE IN (other ways to spend time with your family, or anything else)
-[] Velvet Steppes.
--[] Call him over.
--[] Ask for help (Write in on what)
-[] Ask your father for a raise.
-[] Ask your father for a one-time boon of bits.
-[] Steal bits from your family
--[] Have a servant do it.
--[] Do it yourself.
--[] Do it through the Wildhoof Club

[] Contacts
-[] Try to meet someone new.
-[] Contact other lesser nobles away from Canterlot.
-[] Interact with Known Contact
--[] Level up Rarity
--[] Induct Rarity into the cult
--[] Twilight Sparkle
--[] Cheerilee
--[] Mayor Mare
--[] Filthy Rich
--[] WRITE IN

[] Buy previous aratifact.
-[] ARTIFACT – MOTH Level 2, buy for 100 bits.

[] Rituals
-[] "The Attention of the Laws" (specify Aspect)
-[] "The Forge's Redemption"
-[] "The Incision of the Heart"
-[] "The Path Through Nightmares" (specify target)
-[] "The End is Beautiful" (specify target)
-[] "The calling of Influence" (specify Aspect)
--[] To be performed your cult's gathering place
--[] To be performed at your own home

[] Something else? (WRITE IN)

Last edited:
This is a direct result of the decisions we made, and I think we should "regret" a number of them.

And by that I mean learn from them and do better next time.

Still no reaction from Rarity. As is fitting.
I think we did actually make the right decisions from the ritual onward, even though they led us to this point. If this damages our personal life, well, no one ever said saving the world came without personal sacrifice.

No one said we were doing well at it.
slow and steady. A speed-run would have likely required villain-Velvet.

The illusion you faced was included two people: Velvet, and "Stormchaser". But of course, the actual Stormchaser was never involved; it was an illusion. So then, let me ask you a question: if it wasn't Stormchaser talking to you, then where did his words come from? If you answer this, some of the pieces should slip into place.
really no idea about the source of the words.

He TALKED like Stormchaser, so my first thought would be that it was Velvet's subconscious. But the words about not wanting to die... maybe somehow it's a message from the entities that originally lived in the Mansus?
ehi, anime taught me it can work! :rofl:

nah, but really, extroverts can be good for introverts. the problem is more, in my opinion, with the NUMBER of people.

I consider myself moderately introvert, and I... well, not hate, hate is too strong a word, but I get really bored when with too many people.

I want small groups, to focus on one to 4 people at a time. And after some time I need some solo-time to recharge my "social" battery.

Ehi, who said we have to chose only one? THey all seem relatively compatible to me (except maybe the Hour one, but who knows how being an alicorn would interact with being an Hour... Maybe the Alicorn would be sort of a mortal avatar, a lesser part of us, possibly Name-level.)

and now on to the PLANNING update!

Would it have normally cost less? I'm confused.
Yes. You must have the "full" pony-per-day amout of bits to set out on an expedition. But the money will be "refunded" if you return in less days than necessary.

Also, before the questions appear.

Rarity, and her reaction.

Rarity is a Confidant. She is not someone with whom you are married, so you have an extra set of attention when dealing with her, and you do not make mistakes while talking to her because you are not disarmingly comfortable near her.

Your options to "reveal Rarity everything" is more on the focus of "what knowledge is she armed with, from now on?"

You are a smart cookie, so you know HOW to relay that information without causing her to panic or whatnot, or how to put yourself in a good light while doing so.

So, instead of "yeah, I killed some ponies", you gently said "and I think some of the ponies in the cult might be... dangerous, so please take care".

So don't worry about Rarity's reaction. Not really much of a Confidant if you can't trust them, right? She does, however, now knows everything, and you have not yet done anything that might "push a button". Your reason to keep Selene is sound (Ritual and horrors in the form of Celestia) and YOU have not yet, for example, killed someone or said her mane looks bad today.

I think we did actually make the right decisions from the ritual onward, even though they led us to this point. If this damages our personal life, well, no one ever said saving the world came without personal sacrifice.
Saying the truth to our husband was not a part of trying to save the world.

Last edited:
Back