[X] Mechanics Based Nation Builder (From the Ashes/Elysian Dream)

No preferences on scifi or medieval as long as the quest has the narrative to engage. On that note I don't believe runaway expansion is a problem as long as the narrative remains fun.

[X] Narrative Based (Great is the Fall of Gondolin)

While I've enjoyed many of your quests I have to say that Figwit left the greatest mark, though if that's because it was narrative based or just the quest itself being enjoyable I've no idea.
I have to agree about Figwit. Although, in my case at least some of that is my love for anything Silmarillian related.

It's a shame it would be hard to do a mechanical nation builder set in that setting or using those characters.

Well, maybe if the Noldor, after the Kinslaying at Alqualondë, land not in Middle Earth but instead at [Insert setting here]. But that is still a shakey premise.

No preferences on scifi or medieval as long as the quest has the narrative to engage. On that note I don't believe runaway expansion is a problem as long as the narrative remains fun.
It will need a lot of care there then. One of the worst things to happen to a game is for there to always be one 'right' option, something that isn't even a real option because it may as well be mandatory.

[X] Mixed Narrative/Nation Builder (Atlantis Rising)
[X] Medieval (Lord of the Rings, generic fantasy, fictional history, etc.)

The lack of peer enemies made a slow and unstoppable steamroll effectively inevitable
Sadly, that's simply a fault of EU4 in general (the game Sayle largely based the mechanics on, for those not in the know): it's universally better to expand than to not expand.

There must be opponents and rivals across a spectrum of powers.
And that one's solidly our (the mod team's) fault for not providing the natives adequate means of resisting the Byzantines/Elysians (in the still-ongoing Persian development, giving the natives agency and a chance to come out on top is my personal number one goal). Our plans to do exactly that remain just that: plans.

That being said, I enjoyed this quest for what little time I spent here.

EU4 is generally more engaging in the Old World than the New, given that you would be several tech levels ahead of the natives, making 1 Tag in colonial eras simple.

With regards to lack of comparable enemies/challenges, it would be appropriate to have other colonies be a main opponent, which you couldnt really do because you made the unforeseen mistake of surrounding Elysia with natives.

Taking a weakened Castille into account, it would make sense for other colonial powers to maybe get a boost over them. Maybe French or English colonies nearby in place of a native nation. Hindsight is 20/20 though, maybe you wanted to have Byzantium's main challenge be the Old World and launch a reconquista or some variant of that idea. African Byzantium maybe?

Overall this quest was doomed to stagnate or at least stall out because...

Its EU4. EU4 has no late game crisis or big bad looming in the horizon that other paradox games uses (Sunset Invasion, Mongols, Swarm, etc.)

Most EU4 games devolve into blobbing in the late game for this very fact.

Interested to see a Stellaris quest run by you

[x] Mechanics Based Nation Builder (From the Ashes/Elysian Dream)
[x] Scifi (Stargate, Star Trek, Stellaris, etc)

You know what i have not seen yet? A stargate nation building campaign. That is a game filled with a loosely governing hyperpower whose constituent superpower states are perpetually at war with each other.

I really enjoyed this while it lasted although I must say as it progressed I found the mechanical aspects getting a bit too micro-heavy and repetitive

[x] Mixed Narrative/Nation Builder (Atlantis Rising)
[x] Medieval (Lord of the Rings, generic fantasy, fictional history, etc.)

I've only participated in the one quest, but based on how this one went, maybe a mixed narrative might be more sustainable next time.

My first love has always been the mediaeval era, whether in fantasy or history, so I'll have to say that.

On the off-chance people are watching this thread and haven't noticed, a revised version of this quest is now running here. Things have already changed, and the future will certainly be a great deal different. I hope to see you there!

Back