Diamond Tangent

Acatalepsy

Firewall Proxy
Diamond Tangent Design Doc

Diamond Tangent is a cold, speculative game about transhumans managing technological change and existential crises. Players seek to push tipping points in a favored direction by subversion and manipulation and are drawn into often violent conflict with reactionary forces. The push and pull of the conflict tilts the tipping point into a resolution (sometimes chaotically), so the players use lateral thinking and transhuman capabilities to push things in the right direction.

This is an RPG project I've had in the back of my head for a long time now, and have only recently started getting serious and getting it actually done. The full (and by full I mean hilariously incomplete) design-doc-in-progress is here.

Where this comes from...
This concept is in many ways a reaction to Eclipse Phase. You may have noticed that I love Eclipse Phase, but find myself immensely frustrated by its mechanics and structure. Leaving aside ambiguities, hacks, the inconsistencies within the paradigm - of which there are legion - Eclipse Phase at its core fails to be a game about its ostensible subject matter.

It is a game that sets technoprogressives against bioconservatives and then doesn't provide mechanics or tools to allow technology to advance. A game about conflict between reputation economies and capitalism has extremely limited (or outright terrible) systems for gaining and spending reputation, and essentially none for living in a capitalist system. A game about existential risk has no systems with which to threaten existence. A game about the power of mind-altering technology has crude, secondary, mechanics for changing a player's mind. It's a game about transhumanism which doesn't make transhumanism meaningful as anything other than another set of +5 bonuses to keep track of.

Eclipse Phase is an amazing setting, but as a game it effectively fails to be about any of the things it purports to be about. As someone who really likes the stuff Eclipse Phase purports to be about, this is mildly upsetting.

There are two basic approaches here. One is to try and fix EP's mechanics on its own terms, and turn it into a decent simulationist game; let the players play around in the setting but with less-broken mechanics for simulation. This means something like a total system rewrite of a crunch heavy system into a better system. Fortunately, GURPS exists, and @Eukie is on it.

The other approach is to make a game that is actually about those things, and do it right this time. This is where Diamond Tangent begins.

(Other inspiration includes Night's Black Agents and Shock, at least in terms of design starting points.)

Theme
DT is cold - that means that mechanical resolution should be definite. There should be hard, unappealable consequences for success and failure.

DT believes that intelligence is the defining factor of opposition. Actions taken against unintelligent opposition (1) aren't interesting and (2) very straightforward. Intelligent opposition creates uncertainty and conflict.

DT is transhumanist; it believes that there is such a thing as a posthuman condition, and that furthermore, it is (or at least can be) good. Transhumanism means that characters are in transition between human and posthuman, even if they don't know where it ends up.

DT believes that technology is dangerous to humanity, but ultimately impossible to stop and extremely beneficial as well. What matters is deciding how we will use technology to change our society. For the purposes of being an RPG, these issues are packaged into tipping points, where intervention on the part of the PCs can change the outcome of these events.

DT is speculative. It asks players and GMs to imagine 'what if' and run from there. It asks players to consider concepts from the incremental to the game changing to those that rewrite what it means to exist. Not all of these things are viable for every game or group of players, but DT gives players hooks to engage in speculation and structure to work in (or escape from).

DT is physicalist. That is, everything about a person, or system, or society ultimately emerges from physical characteristics (even if that isn't always the best way to think about things). Sometimes you can subvert higher level systems by working on lower level ones.

DT is cybernetic, in the sense that it's about feedback loops, control, and systems hooking into each other and become part of a larger system.

Continued here, for those that didn't click the link above.

So, what is this thread for? Discussion. Criticism. Desperate please for help. Eventually, organizing playtesting. What does my first second something-th draft look like, SV? What is interesting, what looks promising, what is absolute yuck, what needs clarification?

Oh, and I'd also like to thank (and continue begging for help from) @open_sketchbook, @Admiral Skippy, @Raumgespenst, and also Cai and Limnist (who should get SV accounts, seriously guys this would make organizing this stuff so much easier) for their help in fleshing out ideas.

Disordered thoughts:

As far as incentivizing players to stay in character, the first thing that comes to mind is a consumable pool of willpower. Actions which run against the inclinations of the character cost willpower points, while indulging the character generates them. This also opens up situational modifications such as sleep deprivation, morale, or distractions. If generalized as a sort of executive control it could apply to factions as well. A small nation totalitarian dictatorship would have a great deal of "will", which could be applied to allow it to flexibly pursue anything it wanted, but the aggregate's lack of organic motivations would require it to constantly burn that will to get anything done and heavily restrict the total amount of oomph it could put forth. A well-designed and carefully cultivated network of autonomous cells pursuing a shared set of goals would be very powerful at what it was designed for, but the very weak central coordination would make it difficult to wheel it about and conduct long-term strategy.

If a major part of the game is competing interests trying to shape the world to fit their different values, it may be useful to have a mechanic to represent those values. Fortunately, there is another factor model which represents the most fundamental factors by which humans tend to determine the morality of something.
  1. Care/harm
  2. Fairness/cheating
  3. Liberty/oppression
  4. Loyalty/betrayal
  5. Authority/subversion
  6. Sanctity/degradation
Someone who places most of their emphasis on the care/harm and authority dimensions while having a low emphasis on liberty would be attracted to the idea of a nanny state of heavy regulation. Someone heavily invested in liberty and fairness while having low interest in care and authority might have visions of a Randian paradise. Naturally, this wouldn't cover all sources of conflict because two people with heavy emphasis on sanctity might have different opinions of the relevance of it to germ line genetic modifications and gender swapping, but it carves out broad niches. That might actually be a way to create a mechanic for tipping points. A given niche in a given population would likely have an equilibrium state of being dominated by a single philosophy and intra-niche conflict might actually be more vicious than inter-nice conflict because of that inevitability. Characters could shape things by encouraging the rise of a more desired philosophy with at least one of same main emphases but different secondary emphases, or sap away at the prominence of a philosophy by raising multiple others with its main factor as their secondary factors.

(This post available in GDoc format here! Comments welcome.)

So, after doing some testing, playing around with various mechanisms, writing out some flow charts, I realized that this wasn't working - that the foundation I was hoping to build on was, simply put, not there.

And going back and looking at why, it was because I was trying to make a game about the big picture, and make all games played fit into a fairly rigid loop of what the players were doing. And that tied back to my conceit that the players were, for narrative/anthropic/game reasons, the Important People whose decisions would Change The Future in big, mechanically spelled-out ways. And that kind of big picture play is really more appropriate to a game that has players in much more narrative roles than one in which their only levers on the setting are a single character's actions, with most of the narration offloaded on the GM. And while that's a valid game to play, it's not the game I wanted to create; it demands more of its players creatively and gives them more concrete, primitive actions to work with.

There were really two or more very different games being built, and eventually the contradictions piled up to the point where the whole thing couldn't stand up. So I'm backing up, looking at the wreck, seeing what pieces I can pull out, what I actually want to do, and where we go from here.

I think I need to continue designing DT as a much more 'conventional' RPG that has mechanics that support doing the things I want, rather than prescribing a specific game flow and campaign goals. As much as I admire the 'games as mind control' and 'every RPG is a one page RPG', it might not be the correct decision to approach this project from that angle. At the end of the day what I suspect I really want is an RPG that's explicitly simulationist, that gives GMs and players the tools to create a fantasy world of transhuman adventure - and that what I have been missing, what I have really wanted, is simply a better toolbox. In a sense I have always been doing this, insofar as I've been assuming distinct roles for GMs and players along the well-trodden lines of basically every RPG out there.

With that in mind, I'm going to start listing some of the thoughts I have on specific mechanics, specific systems, and some open questions I have with regard to big design questions.

Skills, Direct
I think I've pretty much settled on a "Skill + 2d10 vs Difficulty" as my most likely main mechanic; the 2d10 because it's a fairly flat curve, and to keep the numbers small and manageable. I've chosen the "roll, add and compare" method rather than "roll under" because it cleanly separates the inherent difficulty of the task from the various factors that might aid or hinder a character.

It's familiar, it's simple, and we can load the variance one way or another by allowing players to roll extra dice (and keep only the top/bottom two).

I'd be looking to condense the core skills down to a fairly small list - no more than fifteen distinct skills, and then some subsystems to allow specialization. Note that skills here mostly refers to things that are done in the context of the character's immediate actions and surroundings, and not things like 'what the character knows', or handling long-term projects. I'm trying to think about the level of specialization I need to recognize here; my goal with "characters have skills" as a thing is to create the fantasy of controlling skilled individuals with distinct histories, talents. There are a couple of different possibilities that I might end up using to support that:
  • Familiarity: A kind of binary 'are they familiar enough with this thing to apply their skills in this context'.
  • Specialization: A distinct subcategory of a skill that would have its own rating and apply a bonus. Some specializations might function as familiarity gates.
  • Tricks/Stunts: Specific things you can do using a skill in a way others can't.
  • Synergy: Ways of combining skills in unexpected ways in certain situations, with a character's own skills or with other characters.

Skills, Indirect
In Eclipse Phase, and a lot of other games, skills like 'doing scientific research' and 'shooting a person with a gun' are unified by the same mechanics. This is done for a good reason (keeping mechanics simple and consistent), but in some areas the way different activities are carried out - when they're carried out, how they're carried out, are different enough that it's worth considering if they need to be separate mechanics. In the case where the dice and the character's skill are answering questions like "how well do I evade someone I'm running from" and "how do coax the information out of the nervous contact", the simple unified system to decided based on weighted randomness is probably the best solution.

However, for activities that are long duration, highly abstract, and more creatively involved, different mechanics are needed. Having two different 'basic' mechanics seems like the right choice in two ways. First in that giving explicit mechanics and rules to create things is the most straightforward way of getting players to do those things. Second in that handing off control to a more abstracted mechanic with more narrative 'push' is a way to avoid create fantasy of controlling a competent character without needing to bog down the game in hours of planning and micromanagement, especially when that planning and micromanagement involve situations that are literally beyond human comprehension (as I would expect a transhumanist game to quickly run into).

My assumption thus far has been than this sort of mechanic will involve spending points from a pool, where the points represent some abstract level of time or resources; this could be separate pools for different things (one pool for business contacts, one for military planning, etc) or a single pool (shared among a party or team?) with skills modifying how much 'bang' you get for each pool point spent. I'm less certain on this. To the extent that these sorts of 'skills' represent things external to the character (their contacts, the institutions they embody or control, their wealth), they might be different from 'skills' that are more literally skills, even if they function in a similar manner. Those that function more explicitly as social context might have a component of worldbuilding to them in addition to defining the character.

In the original DT concept this would be spending points to create 'nodes' where 'nodes' represent institutions, advantages, etc, with strong mechanical representation and effects on the state of technology and tipping points. I'm not sure how much of this concept will survive, given the decreased emphasis on that play mode.

Characteristics, Motivations, Psychology
I've thus far avoided having anything like 'basic stats' for a character, and I think that that's going to continue. Having something like 'basic stats' for a character's perception, strength, etc, tend to be just a layer of obfuscation on top of skills or a mechanism to juggle buying costs, which I don't really think of as a useful measure.

That said, how to represent a character's basic psychology is a big part of what I want to touch on, but it's something that I think will need to be handled...fairly delicately. If you're ever having a rule dictate to the player what their character does, you have a problem.

So there is a need for a system here to incentivize player behavior. The closest thing I've seen is something like WoD's Virtue/Vice or Nature system, though that isn't really sufficient. My current thoughts on what I need are a bit scattered, but include:
  • Players should be incentivized to play their character's psychology, and have an interesting psychology in the first place.
  • Players should be capable of changing their psychology, through experience but also through technology.
  • Some psychological traits are straight up better than others in significant ways. Sometimes, experience just makes you a better person - and sometimes, technology does. Similarly, this same system should be able to handle mental incapability and illness.
    • For extra fancy points, things like brilliant pattern recognition and obsessive compulsive disorder might be linked in non-obvious ways - not always, but as an option.
  • I don't know yet whether or not the players need the ability to use this system against non-player characters (as part of persuasion, manipulation, or more direct subversion), but I suspect that I will.
    • Ideally this will tie into more general purpose mechanics to subvert a system, but that seems difficult in practice.
Ideally, this would be unified with the skill system, and things like "being good at piloting aircraft" would be psychological trait that could be modified via experience or technology like any other trait, though this might prove unwieldy for actual play.

This is a big chunk of what I want to accomplish and the least fleshed out, so there's a lot of work to be done here. I might go so far as to say that, if there's a one page RPG in this, this is where it would need to be found.

Setting
My initial assumptions with Diamond Tangent was that it was, essentially, settingless; to the extent that it offered a setting at all it was 'sometime in the future', and what it was offering was not a setting full of details and places and interesting things but rather a set of paints and brushes to paint a future in broad strokes, according to the dictates of a particular game and its assumptions or questions about technology and the future.

Now...I'm less sure that that's the right course. On the one hand, it's easy to horribly fuck up world building, and even when you don't fuck up people might disagree with you because of politics, or for any number of communication issues. On the other hand, not doing the worldbuilding just means that the GM has to do (some) of it, deny both player and GM the chance to look over a world and decide where they want to play, and robs me, the game designer, of the ability to support the game's themes, aesthetic, and gameplay through setting.

This one I'm torn on. If I do any worldbuilding, I'll do it last (because that's a big, addictive rabbit hole to go down), but I'm at the point where I'm not sure it's possible to avoid doing it entirely.

Technology
The initial concept of the technology tree was something of an inverted mirror of Night's Black Agents' Conspyramid and Vampyramid; it took the tropes of 4X games and re-imagined them as a combination of tools that the GM could use to plot out a future course by imagining the course future technology could take - and then, critically, allowed players or events in-game to change how a technology is expressed or where it goes.

Ultimately this seemed to fall apart, for the simple reason that it was trying to make simple and mechanical parts of the game that couldn't afford to be. So while the goal of the game is no longer, necessarily, the management of technological and existential revolutions in the abstract, I still want DT to be a game at least partially about changing technology.

My current thought on the matter is that this might be an excellent use of the equipment pages. It seems, if you've read many RPG books, that inevitably, tables and lists of equipment (or magic spells, which are basically equipment) seem to take over far larger chunks of the book than their ostensible importance to the RPG itself. For a game about technology, however, using equipment - how a device is introduced to the world, what happens when it becomes ubiquitous, what the initial prototypes can do compared to the refined versions - can reinforce the idea that the current technological state is transitory, provide players (or antagonists) concrete advantages for being on the bleeding edge of technology, and highlight how advancing technology can be frightening, no matter which side of the bleeding edge you're on. An actual explicit tech tree may or may not be needed; if there's one thing that will get players to sit down and pay attention to questions of setting technology, it's making their toybox dependent on details of the setting.

Of course, all of this implicitly assumes that there's a setting, or something close enough to one that 'table of equipment' can be a thing.

(And, of course, you still need to support players advancing technology, trying to prevent specific advances, etc.)

Action, Initiative, and Stalking
The simple, expected method of handling action is to basically have everyone roll some kind of 'initiative' dice, and then have everyone act in order in bursts of a few seconds, and then rinse and repeat. While I'm stealing a lot of underlying assumptions from other RPGs, this isn't necessarily one of them.

I have a bunch of things that I want to question or look for alternatives in terms of conventional RPG design, and a few ideas for things that seem like they might work (but for the life of me I can't figure out how).
  • The dichotomy between 'slow' time where everything is tracked to small numbers of seconds and 'fast' time where time is essentially not tracked seems like a false one. Hell, in old school D&D a 'turn' was ten minutes, and most of the game took place in those. Perhaps resurrecting the concept of a turn, or at least more tightly coupling mechanics to some sort of implied time frame, would be worth it?
  • The assumption that everyone sees everyone else when 'in combat'. The problem being, of course, when you're going around shooting each other with modern firearms - nevermind future railguns and smart missiles - most 'combat' takes place with the different sides either at large distances or not in direct line of sight to each other. If you think of movie or video game conflict between armed gunman, the game is often one of cat and mouse, rather than direct standup brawl where one eventually burns through the other's luck/shields/armor and lands the killing blow.
    • Presumably, this involves making tradeoffs between motion to get into position or evade an enemy, observation to locate an opponent (or at least where they aren't), and stealth (ie, hiding).
  • One experience I had recently was playtesting someone else's homebrew RPG system. One thing that struck me was the system for turn order - in this game, everyone declared their actions from the lowest initiative to the highest, and then resolved those actions from the highest to the lowest. Being higher in the initiative order was a huge advantage, but it was an interesting advantage, as, with the ability to preempt and second-guess the opponent's moves, an otherwise rote tactical system became an interesting puzzle to decipher. The ability to mechanically 'outguess' the opponent strikes me as a great way of representing transhuman capability (or simply being 'inside the decision cycle' of an opponent), and allows the GM to create deadly, numerous, competent (ie, the GM doesn't need to pull punches on their tactics) opposition and let the players have the tools to outsmart and defeat them.
    • Obviously, this is easier said than done - and ideally, there would be some kind of interplay, room for feints and deception. Still, if you uncouple the precise timing, and are willing to uncouple the declaration and resolution of actions, there may be plenty of room to build a combat system that by its nature creates these sorts of interesting tactical problems by putting players ahead of the information curve (most of the time, anyway).
How exactly to implement stalking gameplay, is a big question, and as far as I know I've never seen it done. I have some ideas - the idea of an 'evasion' counter that you build up and expend (and throw away if you start sprinting, or shooting) - but it's a big question, as is whether or not the idea of stalking gameplay is compatible with variant initiative ideas discussed above.

Subversion
Subversion, in my view, is getting a system to do something you want, that it wasn't intended to do, by using knowledge of deeper/lower-level components. Hacking gets the computer to do what you want by using your knowledge of the code that makes it up. Social engineering gets the bureaucracy to do something its rules forbid by using your knowledge of the humans that make it up. Persuasion causes a human to change their beliefs or actions in a way they otherwise wouldn't by leveraging knowledge of underlying impulses, desires, and mental shortcuts.

I don't know if these things need a unified system, but I sure would like one - it fits the theme of the game perfectly, and since 'subversion' describes a basic, common activity for an adventure-centric game, giving players a tool kit they can proactively go out there and use on the world can be almost nothing but good.

Transhumanism/Posthumanism
I toyed around with the idea of explicitly making characters swap out character sheets as they upgrade. Something like that still might be around (if only to get players to clear off their damned sheets), but I've turned pretty hard against the idea of making transhumanism explicit in the mechanics. The fact that you can upgrade your own psychology is transhumanism; if you include that, I think the rest follows.

One of the original ideas was that, as technology advanced, you were on an inevitable course for posthumanity, and once you got there the game ended. As much as I liked what the said (or just the fact that it was saying something), I don't think that's appropriate. A more interesting question is whether or not non-human (AGI, Uplift, Synthetic, etc) characters are appropriate, and whether or not, or at what point, a character is 'unplayable'. I think that I need to explicitly answer that question, especially if I'm going to include some kind of 'posthuman' or 'exhuman' designation.

I was also initially considering engaging posthumanism; more specifically the idea that we're blurring the lines between our selves and our (social, ecological, technological) environment, but...well, to be honest I've already got enough stuff that I'd like to add that posthumanism doesn't make the priority queue. Maybe it will emerge naturally from some other system, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the gripping hand...
I started out this whole thing by turning against open_sketchbook's "one page RPG design philosophy". But maybe it would pay to revisit the idea, and after having spilt all that digital ink, see where we originally started and if there are other ways we can re-phrase the original concept into one or more different ideas that might be the seed for a new game (and that might grow like some sort of game-Shoggoth to encompass its protoplasmic siblings and add their strength to it).

The design document skeleton from open_sketchbook's "Cancel Your Fantasy Heartbreaker" presentation:
  • Devise a Tone
  • Match to a Conceit
  • Determine the Conflicts in the Conceit
  • Determine Outcomes of the Conflict
  • Create your Mechanism
The original skeleton of Diamond Tangent:

Diamond Tangent is a cold, speculative game about transhumans managing technological change and existential crises. Players seek to push tipping points in a favored direction by subversion and manipulation and are drawn into often violent conflict with reactionary forces. The push and pull of the conflict tilts the tipping point into a resolution (sometimes chaotically), so the players use lateral thinking and transhuman capabilities to push things in the right direction.

I still think this could be a very good game, but it wasn't the direction I ended up going. The mechanism in particular is lacking (how exactly do you 'use lateral thinking'?), but there's definitely the core of something there.

Is there a viable method to re-rail the project back to this (or, at least, make this work and see if I still feel the need to make this other thing)? Are there any other game 'skeletons' that make sense for this document, or for what it seems like I've been grasping towards? Well:

ALEPH is a tense, thrilling game about transhuman agents attempting to conspire for security and certainty in chaotic times. Players are both hunter and hunted in search for technology and secrets, and so risk discovery, capture, death and worse to secure their objectives. This is accomplished by balancing patient exploitation of information advantages against limited resources/time and omnipresent chances of failure.

BETA is a tense, speculative game about transhuman conspiracies on the bleeding edge of technology and society. Competing visions over what the future of humanity will be create confrontations between players and other factions, so finances, social orders, and technologies are won and lost . This is accomplished by spending limited resources to create assets and tools that can influence outcomes.

GAMMA is a speculative, psychological game about transhuman creations involved in conspiracies on the bleeding edge of technology. Existential shocks create technological horrors that must be contained or survived, so players must choose what they will sacrifice to defeat the threat. This is accomplished by subverting systems and people by manipulation of their deeper layers.

...there seems to be something there. I might be able to do more, even, and all of these seem like good ideas. It's also possible I'm just bad at recognizing good ideas. In any case, it's another line of attack on the problem (though not on the 'Acat cannot design mechanisms' problem).

(Basically: help me, @open_sketchbook Kenobi. I am super confuse. Also other people who design games and stuff. @MJ12 Commando ? Other people I've bothered with this stuff?)

Last edited:
I have literally had this tab open to read for more than a week...

Yeah.

In the original DT concept this would be spending points to create 'nodes' where 'nodes' represent institutions, advantages, etc, with strong mechanical representation and effects on the state of technology and tipping points. I'm not sure how much of this concept will survive, given the decreased emphasis on that play mode.
I like the theory behind this mechanic. In some ways though it sort of reminds me of the XCOM geoscape metagame- and one has to be very careful not to either render that metagame too powerful or to render it too meaningless.

If you wanted to sort of take a hint though, that's probably where I'd take it from. The 'node geoscape' is something that players do between games, and the games are things that determine their future resources for the next round of geoscaping, if that makes sense.

One thing that struck me was the system for turn order - in this game, everyone declared their actions from the lowest initiative to the highest, and then resolved those actions from the highest to the lowest. Being higher in the initiative order was a huge advantage, but it was an interesting advantage, as, with the ability to preempt and second-guess the opponent's moves, an otherwise rote tactical system became an interesting puzzle to decipher.
I like this, because I think it's useful, especially if -

How exactly to implement stalking gameplay, is a big question, and as far as I know I've never seen it done. I have some ideas - the idea of an 'evasion' counter that you build up and expend (and throw away if you start sprinting, or shooting) - but it's a big question, as is whether or not the idea of stalking gameplay is compatible with variant initiative ideas discussed above.

The first thought that came to my mind is "misses happen- a lot". The problem is perhaps that's not where you want to go.

Let me explain. Most RPGs- as you point out- use some kind of burn-through combat mechanic. You hit and you hit and you hit until the other guy runs out of HP. That's not really thematically appropriate here. The most common alternative is a miss-based mechanic. Attacks do a lot more damage, but are much more likely to miss; thus you sort of balance out the combat scale by having most shots essentially waste themselves.

This seems to be more in line with what you want, but perhaps not totally there yet.

Perhaps what you want is essentially a modified miss-based mechanic with a rock-paper-scissors counter system, which might end up getting you where you want to go.

I once tinkered with a system like this: a single direct hit could generally kill a PC, which is why it was so important that your character have the appropriate counters in-inventory, because the counters were your primary defensive attribute- but they were expendable.

The vibe I get here is that you as the low-initiative player are essentially forced to 'gamble' your countermeasures - based on the enemy's expected ordinance, relevant environmental factors (cover, etc) and the actual risk of being hit by the enemy in the first place. Even with a very basic built-in evasion system (cover, speed, etc) you could very well get a 'stalking' system working simply because of the cat-and-mouse ordinance vs. counter-ordinance.

If you wanted to sort of take a hint though, that's probably where I'd take it from. The 'node geoscape' is something that players do between games, and the games are things that determine their future resources for the next round of geoscaping, if that makes sense.

That was the theory, kind of. I divided the game in Operations and Preparation, but preparation wasn't meant to be just sort of "that thing you did before the real game happened" or getting you better guns or whatever for the real mission, but rather it was about using your resources to direct technology and society away from trouble, and make sure that the trouble that did happen was something you could deal with, or that you could exploit. But I wanted to avoid subordinating one to the other; and I think that the more I looked at it the more it seemed like trying to do both was going to do that.

The fundamental problem with the node geoscape I had was that it...wasn't really a roleplaying game? There was no place to put scenes where player would be placed in the role of their character, no place to narrate the changes going on in the world as part of the march of technology. It was something more akin to Microscope, and needed rules more along those lines. Trying to mash the roleplaying game I wanted to make with this other thing that, however cool, wasn't a roleplaying game was just obviously not working.

Let me explain. Most RPGs- as you point out- use some kind of burn-through combat mechanic. You hit and you hit and you hit until the other guy runs out of HP. That's not really thematically appropriate here. The most common alternative is a miss-based mechanic. Attacks do a lot more damage, but are much more likely to miss; thus you sort of balance out the combat scale by having most shots essentially waste themselves.

I'm actually being a bit more abstract than that, I think. When I'm talking about evasion, I'm talking about the situation where you don't have any clue where the enemy is in the first place. Where most of the actions you take aren't some form of attack, because shooting randomly when you don't know where the enemy is is pointless in most cases.

I'm envisioning three basic types of conflict:

Overt-Covert; where one side can't or doesn't need to be evasive, and their opponent seeks to ambush them, escape, or accomplish some other objective without getting murdered. A team of corporate mercenaries sweep an apartment complex for a hacker. A scavenger runs and hides from a malfunctioning warbot. A chameleon-cloaked sniper hunts a squad of religious extremists through a concrete jungle. (You might break this into two different types of conflict, one where the stronger side is being overt while the weaker is tracked down, and one where the stronger side is covert while the weaker side is being picked off and ambushed).

Covert-Covert; neither side knows precisely where the other is, and both are dangerous enough to each other that victory is a matter of who can track, outguess, or predict their counterpart's move. Two agents with pistols stalk each other through a construction site. A biomechanical horror and an armored cyborg play cat and mouse through laboratory corridors.

Overt-Overt; both sides know where they are and start slinging ordinance at each other. The question is then not finding the opponent, but rather lining up a good firing solution without being 'solved' yourself. This is closest to what you're talking about, I think; even in this case you're still more focused on avoiding being hit than tanking hits, but we've traded tense cat-and-mouse for explosive brawl, with most shots missing (being used for suppression and such) but still fundamentally being used against a valid target (rather than being used to smoke out somewhere you think the enemy might be). A robotic SWAT team gets into a gunfight with terrorist. A cybertank supports a squad of infantry against infected citizens. A gang lays seige to a rival's headquarters with small arms.

I guess my most basic question is...how do you want this to play? I can think of a number of potential methods (thematically), but I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Well, "how do you want this to play" is a pretty broad question. I'm not really sure how to answer it. But, like...I want players to be able to get into trouble (or have trouble find them), and then need to sneak, shoot, and run their way out of it. Or have an objective and need to sneak/shoot their way into place. So, like...."Okay, you are on the second floor the apartment building. Triad enforcers are searching the first floor and watching the entrances, looking for you. What do you do now?" "I want to get to the third floor, and see if there's a way out of this place" "To get to top floor, which means going through the stairwell. They might see you if you do that." "Okay...not a lot of options. Can I pull a fire alarm to create a distraction, and then go?" "Sure, roll your $SKILL, with $MODIFIER because you're in an building and have created a distraction." Is that what you mean?

Some conversations with a friend made me think that using a sort of zone-based movement with a bunch of different terrain types might be the answer. Like "building interior" might be a type of zone; you can hide in a zone and be missed (via hiding, or evading).

The other idea that I think I'm shifting towards more is representing transhuman capability by ability to spend points to

I think this is a brilliant idea, but I really liked the dual nature of the first iteration: the strategic and tactical layers so to speak.

Now, that could be a personal preference, but I think it's a feature that could be worth keeping. Perhaps the strategic aspect can be done between tactical play sessions? Essentially, each strategic turn become a cooperative world-building exercise similar to how a Quest is run, while the tactical Operations become scenarios that the players take part in when everyone gets together?

I think this is a brilliant idea, but I really liked the dual nature of the first iteration: the strategic and tactical layers so to speak.

Now, that could be a personal preference, but I think it's a feature that could be worth keeping. Perhaps the strategic aspect can be done between tactical play sessions? Essentially, each strategic turn become a cooperative world-building exercise similar to how a Quest is run, while the tactical Operations become scenarios that the players take part in when everyone gets together?

Maybe. One idea I've toyed around with is *avoiding* the default assumption that the game will be played in meatspace. I play most RPGs electronically these days, and IRC or PbP games don't directly translate well from tabletop. And, realistically, DT in any form is more likely to be played in the internet than anywhere else.

If you start with the default assumption that an RPG will be played online, it changes how you think about the game, I think.

I just have to say that from what you are describing, it sounds like your strategic layer might be better visualized less in RPG design terms and more in board game or even card game terms. So you might have a sort of network node grid laid out and during the strategic phase players and the GM set down tokens or cards or what have to take control of bits of the network and bend them to their will. For the players they are developing assets for their characters, but the GM is basically building up elements of future encounter. This means that players and the GM can try to directly counter each other in the strategic play by disrupting the assets of the others before they can come to fruition, or they can ignore each other and build up for the future. This would give the social and technical specced players more to do directly, although the combat players could perhaps have actions like "Drive off thugs" or "Smash enemy resources" in the strategic layer, while you could have various morale, hacking, and buffing effects for the social and technical specced players to do in the tactical layer.

So like maybe in the strategic layer the group is trying to establish a laboratory to research better weapons that can be used both personally in the tactical layer and by their affiliated forces in the strategic layer, but the GM is setting up an intelligence agency to track down the lab. Everyone goes back and forth making their own plays to either advance the research by collecting resources or to keep the lab from being tracked. Eventually you reach a point where a confrontation is forced, but what actions get played can determine if the lab is under assault and you have to hold off the enemy forces long enough to evacuate the data, or maybe you are running through an apartment complex hunting down the intelligence agent with the data on your location, or maybe you are assaulting a security station to relieve pressure. Whatever it is, you have built in flashpoints in the strategic level that result in tactical sessions, with the outcome of the tactical sessions then perhaps giving extra actions or altering the strategic elements already in play.

(Basically: help me, @open_sketchbook Kenobi. I am super confuse. Also other people who design games and stuff. @MJ12 Commando ? Other people I've bothered with this stuff?)
Suggestion: Spend at least a few hours reading the archives here. It's not the place where I learned all my skill, not even most, really - that was from trawling designers blogs and hacking @ShirowShirow's system into something marginally better-balanced. But it's got a very, very large number of systems, quite a few are well-implemented, and frankly it's a lot less work to build a good tiny system than to balance a huge one, as recent experience has shown me.
If you'd like more than that, I do have some specific theory I've distilled:
  • There are approximately two ways for actual conflict to happen: Racing, and Matching.
    • Racing is based on direct contest - DPS, accuracy/dodge-chance, chasing and fleeing, etcetera. This is probably the more common system.
    • Matching is based on, well, type matchups. Rock-Paper-Scissors is the best-known variant, but there are lots of others - not every element needs a weakness, or a strength.
  • I'm only really aware of one-and-a-half other rule fields: Resource-management and chaos-management. As a broad overgeneralization, card games tend to hew toward the former, while dice tricks hew toward the latter.
  • Pay attention to where you want the players to focus. Bad rules are ones which distract from the intended focus, good rules are ones that assist it. The focus does not have to be simple.
    • Likewise with aesthetics. If it's not doing its job, change it.
    • Playtesting helps. So does the idea that you'll use discarded material for other things, sometimes.
    • If you find your vision has changed over time, that's fine. That's why the 'polishing stage' was invented.

Last edited:
Back