>B] Enter the temple. Ask for your friends to keep an eye on you.

What does shadow mean in this context? Do we have someone or something literally following us? Is it a reference to Father Pevrel, who doesn't want to go in? Maybe someone is spying on us with mystical means and can't see us here? It could also just be literally dark enough inside that we have no distinguishable shadow.

It might be the shadow of our ourselves, and being a temple to Time and Dream it could be the anything related to our past or future, a shadow of things that were or the shadow of our desires for the future.

I don't think it will literally tear us to pieces. Maybe we will learn something that could break us, or at least snip off the parts of our mental/emotional well being. I don't know how we exactly heard the prophecy from Dream, but did we literally hear the word tears or could it be interpreted as "Tears" :cry:? Strong positve or negative emotion could be involved.
(The prophecy from Dream was heard in Chapter 67: Curiosity.)

Last edited:
(Incredibly insightful observations, @TheButterNut ! Thank you both for being so quick on the draw with the vote, too! We are winding down to the end of Arc 9, and so I'd like to knock out one more update tonight. The vote is locked here! Writing now.)

>B] Enter the temple. Ask for your friends to keep an eye on you.

This temple is neato.

Chapter 84: The Temple
Chapter 84: The Temple

Moving to open the handle of the temple's front door, you look to both of your friends with a dozen questions on your mind. Only one leaves your lips.

"I have been doing so much better in the last few days, but will you— will you both please keep an eye on me?"

Both of them give you a look that says 'you never have to ask.'

The iron handle is rusted. You worry for a moment that you'll cut yourself just opening the door, so you wrap some of your cloak around your hand, and find that the opening is also rusted shut. It takes several tries to wrench it open— braced against the glimmering walls on either side— but you manage to nearly rip the door off its hinges after a few good pulls.

Inside the building is absolute darkness. It only takes a second to get out a lantern, who's light stops abruptly at the door.

There's no need for fear. With only love for the Gods in your heart, you step across the threshold.

You gasp upon entering the temple, and immediately take several strides deeper in. It's not utterly dark. Thousands of stars can be seen within an endless sky. In the vastness of space, swirls of amethyst and indigo twist and shift before your very eyes. Sand drips and shifts from many stars, creating a film of fine silt through the entire temple's air. Rising up from the rickety wooden floor are dozens of ancient pillars— all of the same, starry make as the exterior of the building— which fade away the higher they stretch up, until they end in nothingness.

Out of consideration for your friend's safety, your eyes fall to the floor, which is a mundane series of wooden planks. Many are rotten, but you can recognize at a glance which ones will support you and your companions. It's not an issue to pick a safe path across the temple, heading straight for the altar.

Row after row of wooden pews are in various states of ruin and decay. They line the main aisle, reaching to the structure's circular walls. No tables or windows adorn the space. There are only a few decorations of interest, and they capture your attention completely.

You stop walking for just a moment. On the furthest ends of the temple— just behind the altar, opposite where you entered— there are two massive tapestries hanging upon the wall.

One of the ornate figures is stitched in the likeness of Dream, though not as you've ever seen Him. It's a terrifying and fascinating interpretation. The God of Nightmares has eight arms, and a brush held precariously within each one. Piercing eyes of blue cover every inch of His otherwise human-like body. Smears of paint have been slathered down the tapestry from the point where His face would be, and atop His head is a crown akin to a crescent moon. His head and eye-covered feet are wreathed in stars.

To your amazement, there is a name you've never seen before, stitched at the top of the fabric. You read it out loud, just to see how it feels.

"Esthete."

Father Wilhelm makes a face that you can't quite place. It's obvious that he's never heard the name before, either. Something between love, jealousy, and the need to know more has him only whisper, "it's lovely."

The other tapestry depicts an ageless woman with an hourglass figure. Sand is draped across Her body in lieu of clothing, simultaneously creating an illusion of modesty while leaving nothing to the imagination. The perspective is odd. Though She is splayed out across a sundial— posed elegantly around its highest features— the night sky is behind Her. It's as if the viewer were gazing up at the stars, only to find the Goddess blocking their view.

All that isn't what gives you pause, though.

She has a human face. Serene and more beautiful than any you've ever seen before.

In gorgeous script below Time's figure is another name you've never heard or read of, in all your studies. You breathlessly mouth the word, unsure if you love how it sounds or how She looks more.

"Arentia."

Taking another step forward, you nearly lose your balance to a rotten plank of wood. You get a brief glimpse at the dilapidated, vacant foundations beneath the building, and a drop that's at least 20ft down to solid stone.

Father Wilhelm and Father Pevrel both reflexively grab at the back of your robes to keep you from falling in.

"Watch it! You're going to get us all killed, Anscham—!"
"Easy there!"

Staggering backwards, you take care not to knock over either of your friends, and direct your attention back towards the altar. It's just a few steps away.

Your lanterns aren't of any use in here, so you extinguish yours, free your hands, and try to keep your fingers from shaking with excitement.

Atop the altar is a single, wood-framed hourglass; a strange and three-foot-long conical item with glass on either one of its ends; and a colossal holy book.

Father Wilhelm just about loses his mind over the stranger of the three items. "Do you see this—?!"

His hands are shaking, while he slides past you, around the side of the altar, and picks the elongated cone up as delicately as he can. He blow the dust off from it (away from the altar), which creates a thick cloud in the dimly lit air.

The priest of interpretation holds the item by its smaller end, holds it up to one of his eyes, and looks to the night sky. The way he's smiling looks like he's about to break down and cry.

"By the moon and stars. It works. I'm not certain how we can see the night sky in here during sunset, but you can make out the stars! Truly! Look—" He hands the item off to you. "—up there."

You inspect the item for a few more seconds. You couldn't imagine traveling with it due to its length, and judging by how ornate it is, it likely was never meant to leave this building. Its metal exterior is etched with the moon and stars, swirls of sand, and a single phrase in a simple script.

"For Prudence. With love, Wilkin." You melt a little at the heart dotting each 'i'. "This was a gift. I wonder if Prudence was the Mother of this temple..."

Taking a look through the item, you nearly fall over again. The sky is magnified by twenty times, and then some.

Pulling back and away from the lens, you blink several times, and confirm that there's been no spell cast on you. No curse.

Father Wilhelm is trying incredibly hard not to laugh at the look on yours and Father Pevrel's faces. "Go on. It's not going to hurt you."

More carefully, you slowly raise the item to the sky, and scope out the moon and stars. Their proximity paints an entirely new vision of the night. Stars you've never seen before come into view, and several streak past in dizzying shades of light.

You sigh Dreamily, and hand the item off to Father Wilhelm. "Thank you for showing me. How did you know of its purpose...?"

"I've read of one once before, as an artifact kept by the Church of Storm. It's said to aid tremendously in navigation while out at sea. I can't begin to imagine how closely dear old Bart would guard something like this! Why, if he knew we found one all the way out here?"

"Does it have a name?"

"A te-le-scope."

You don't get to flex your education often, but you seize the opportunity. "Far-seeing. How appropriate..."

"Mmhmm." The priest is back to staring up to the stars. He's smitten by them.

Father Pevrel looks seriously hurt. "It works on sight, does it?"

"Worth a try," Father Wilhelm says, gently handing the telescope off.

It takes all of thirty seconds for Father Pevrel to look through the item, to hand it back to Father Wilhelm, and to storm off towards the entrance of the temple in the exact same path that you came from.

"Father Pevrel!" You holler after him, terrified that he's going to crash through the floor.

The priest dismissively waves over his shoulder at you. "You seem to be alright. I'll guard the entrance. Atticus, keep an eye on him."

You and Father Wilhelm look to each other, to the moody priest, then back to the altar.

"He'll be alright," Father Wilhelm mutters, greedily shifting towards the open book.

The priest of Spirit, Dream, Time, and Agriculture in you simply can't resist. You hold your breath as you lean over the open page, covering your nose and mouth with your hands— and pray to all the Gods that you don't blow the pages out of existence with a cough or sneeze.

There are no illustrations on the open page. It's all text— and it's all glowing under the moonlight.

Your heart soars. It's not only in your language, but is close enough to your age to be something you can understand.

Father Wilhelm bumps into you gently, trying to get closer to the holy book. You give him a little more room. Several seconds pass by in fascinated silence, with the scent of ancient sand thick in the air.

You turn to the side, remember how to breathe, and assume a whisper. "This details a society that worshiped darkness. You don't suppose that this temple could be from the age of King Vaughn?"

"A King of shadows, ruling over a world that lived by the night?" Father Wilhelm winks at you. "It's blasphemy of the highest order, but crazier things have happened."

Both of you turn back to the pages. It's guidance for nocturnal worship of Dream, through perverse observance of Time's will. Along with general rules for conducting oneself after dark, there is a detailed routine. It details sleeping for a scant four hours during the day, with the goal of working through all the sunset and night.

"The placement of this temple, it— this makes much more sense. They placed this structure here to take in the valley's sunset." You carefully sigh, hoping against hope that you can really see the stars tonight. "I wonder what it must look like after dark...?"

Father Wilhelm is frowning at the page. "I wasn't joking, you know."

"About the guidance they provided...?"

He nods. "Distorting one's sleep to try and avoid the need for it? Twisting the body and mind into such a thing flies in the face of Dream's will. I can't imagine this being healthy for anyone in the long-run, either. Mind, body, or soul." He leans towards you with a knowing look. "There's good reason why you've been feeling better. It's thanks to all the rest you've been getting. And don't get me wrong— there are certainly exceptions to the rule. I've encountered a handful of individuals who can survive on so little sleep— but to teach an entire congregation such a thing?"

You both look to the ruined pews, the empty aisles, and to the dust caking the altar.

"There is good reason why we haven't heard any of this sacrilege during our age." Father Wilhelm takes a long draw on his cigar, making a point to blow the smoke away from the altar. He's obviously still curious about what's on it, but looks nervously towards the front of the building. There's no sign of Father Pevrel.

The leader of the Church of Dream keeps his eyes to the pages on the altar, and murmurs, "I'm a bit worried about him, but this is a rare opportunity."

>A] Attempt to read more of the holy book. (A ROLL WILL BE REQUIRED. Write-ins on how you wish to do so may add bonuses!)

>B] Ask Father Wilhelm if you can keep the telescope. He can't say no if you insist, but there's no need to mention your authority when you have many other reasons to acquire it.
>1] You're a priest of Storm, so surely, you'll be able to learn more about how to properly use it. You'll be seeing Father Barthalomew sooner than he will, too!​
>2] You're a priest of Storm, Dream, and Time. As such, your service to all the Gods demands nothing less than every tool you can have at your disposal.​
>3] You're the leader of the Church of Mercy, and so you'll be requisitioning this priceless item for the good of the nation's security.​
>4] You're the foremost researcher of the Catalyst. In the name of humanity's survival, you can't cast aside something so useful.​

>C] Graciously insist that Father Wilhelm keep the telescope.
>1] It's only right that the leader of the Church of Dream has such a thing. He could teach generations of holy men and women with it.​
>2] You've said many times that you could never pay him back for all the kindness he's done for you. This is a good place to start.​

>D] Inspect the hourglass. (A ROLL WILL BE REQUIRED. Write-ins on how you wish to do so may add bonuses!)

>E] Leave to go make sure that Father Pevrel is alright. There's probably something else that's bothering him, and you know how to cheer him up better than anyone.

>F] Write-in.

Last edited:
>A] Attempt to read more of the holy book. (A ROLL WILL BE REQUIRED. Write-ins on how you wish to do so may add bonuses!)
Seems like spirits wheelhouse, though we could also call on dream for insight on how to interpret it?

>1] It's only right that the leader of the Church of Dream has such a thing. He could teach generations of holy men and women with it.
>2] You've said many times that you could never pay him back for all the kindness he's done for you. This is a good place to start.

Use the telescope to look at the book/pages. There might be things hidden that can only be seen through the looking glass.

>1] It's only right that the leader of the Church of Dream has such a thing. He could teach generations of holy men and women with it.
>2] You've said many times that you could never pay him back for all the kindness he's done for you. This is a good place to start.

We would not really know how to use it. it would be better in Father Wilhelm's experienced hands, though we can carry it for him in our bag of holding to keep it safe for the time being.

>D] Inspect the hourglass. (A ROLL WILL BE REQUIRED. Write-ins on how you wish to do so may add bonuses!)

How big is it? If it is small enough I suggest that we take it with us.
How much sand is in it? While it is called an hourglass, it may not run for an hour. It's important to know how long the hourglass will run for. I would like to turn it, but it might not be mundane.
is anything written on the wood of the frame or inscribed in the glass? I would also look through the glass to the inside side of the wood frame.

Also telescope this as well.

>E] Leave to go make sure that Father Pevrel is alright. There's probably something else that's bothering him, and you know how to cheer him up better than anyone.
Your shadow flees from the sight.
It seems the Dream was quite literal in this case. We can talk to him once we leave and explore this building's mysteries.

>F] Write-in.
What's down the hole we almost fell in? It seems this place once had a basement.
Would we be able to take the tapestries? They are beautiful interpretations of our Gods and would be better appreciated elsewhere, but they are so big it might not be possible. If we can't, mark this place for reclamation at a later date.
Next time we summon Mercy or Agriculture we should ask whoever we bring about these other names. Are Mercy & Agriculture just their titles? Do they just have regular names as well?

He would know how to use it better than us, and if we ever need it we know where to find it!

(Great stuff guys. I'm going to lock the vote here and will call for the roll shortly. Please do not roll at this time.)

(Also I completely spaced out on mentioning this: I would love to run a session today at a faster pace! I know this is incredibly short notice, so if there isn't a whole lot of turn out I'm not going to worry too much about it. Thought I'd mention it, though!)

Roll 2d100.
Because you are blessed by all of the Gods, the best of the first three sets of rolls will be counted.
(E.g. if three people roll 2d100, their rolls are the ones that will be counted. Rolls from anyone after that will not be counted.)

The first roll will represent your attempt to read the holy book. The total modifier that will apply to the winning roll is -30.
-110 SOUL ACHE (You've recovered dramatically in your last three days of rest, but this wound will still take Time to heal.)
+30 THE FATHER OF CREATIVITY (Father Wilhelm is on standby to assist with this endeavor.)
+20 FOREMOST RESEARCHER OF THE CATALYST (You've trawled the countryside looking for information on the Catalyst. Finds like this are rare, but you know how to handle them.)
+15 SCHOLAR (You've been trained to study ancient tomes, have dealt extensively with material like this, and should know how to care for a crumbling book better than most.)
+10 PRIEST OF SPIRIT (Your love of the written word has led to a lifetime of study. You'll know a few tricks on how to handle this from personal experiences, too.)
+5 TELESCOPIC (A telescope should illuminate any details you may otherwise miss!)

The second roll will represent your attempt to examine the hourglass. The total modifier that will apply to the winning roll is -30.
-110 SOUL ACHE (You've recovered dramatically in your last three days of rest, but this wound will still take Time to heal.)
+30 THE FATHER OF CREATIVITY (Father Wilhelm is on standby to assist with this endeavor.)
+20 PRIEST OF TIME (Your obsession with Time is without compare. Suffice to say, you'll treat this object with reverence.)
+15 SCHOLAR (You've been trained to study artifacts, have dealt extensively with material like this, and should know how to care for an ancient hourglass better than most.)
+10 CLEVERNESS (Thanks to your ingenuity and intimate understanding of Time pieces, you should have this handled.)
+5 TELESCOPIC (A telescope should illuminate any details you may otherwise miss!)

If you wish to invoke Spirit to make the first roll's modifier an auto-success, please say so CLEARLY in your post. Majority vote will decide. You do not need to be the one rolling to vote for this.

Last edited:
I am unsure if we really need to invoke Spirit here unless we find something else weird about the book that normal observation and reading cannot decipher. if there is a cipher in the book we could also spend Time decoding it ourselves for some Spirit brownie points. Nothing is stopping us from taking the book and looking at it again later once our soul isn't tearing at the seams either.

Regardless, lets roll.

Edit: Hopefully the third roll will be better.
TheButterNut threw 2 100-faced dice. Total: 56
10 10 46 46

Last edited:
I am unsure if we really need to invoke Spirit here unless we find something else weird about the book that normal observation and reading cannot decipher.
(It's so decayed that you guys were worried about breathing on it and blowing the pages away as dust. There is a high chance of simply destroying the book by touching it.)

(It's so decayed that you guys were worried about breathing on it and blowing the pages away as dust. There is a high chance of simply destroying the book by touching it.)

If it will be so easily destroyed by handling it, I would definitely want to save its contents as it would not survive a journey elsewhere. I would invoke Spirit to see if we can either fortify the pages or absorb its contents if it cannot be saved. I would also only do this after looking at the hourglass to avoid soul ache penalties for that roll.

If it will be so easily destroyed by handling it, I would definitely want to save its contents as it would not survive a journey elsewhere. I would invoke Spirit to see if we can either fortify the pages or absorb its contents if it cannot be saved. I would also only do this after looking at the hourglass to avoid soul ache penalties for that roll.

I would just like to say that at -110 we should really not be invoking for anything other than a literal life and death situation. We can live without knowing instantly the contents of this book, I will oppose invoking in this case and as a general rule I think we shouldn't invoke ever if we are above a -100 modifier.

I would just like to say that at -110 we should really not be invoking for anything other than a literal life and death situation. We can live without knowing instantly the contents of this book, I will oppose invoking in this case and as a general rule I think we shouldn't invoke ever if we are above a -100 modifier.

If the book is destroyed by handling, this is probably the only one of its kind. It then becomes impossible to know its contents ever. This is less about knowing the contents instantly and more about preserving a unique text.

Edit: If there is a good reason for invoking Spirit, this would be one.

Last edited:
If the book is destroyed by handling, this is probably the only one of its kind. It then becomes impossible to know its contents ever. This is less about knowing the contents instantly and more about preserving a unique text.

We can try to preserve it in other ways without invoking Spirit, especially considering that the last time we did something like this back in Ostedholm it was considered an abusive invocation.

We can try to preserve it in other ways without invoking Spirit, especially considering that the last time we did something like this back in Ostedholm it was considered an abusive invocation.
Last time it was piles of books in fairly readable condition. We could have spent the Time reading them, but we were very pressed for Time. I think the issue we had there was that we were impatient and there was nothing stopping us from coming back at a later date to read those or the fact that we made Celegwyn literally Magic away the rest of the library, of which we realize now is great sacrilege.

The books back then still existed to read. This one might not. Though to be fair I do not know if invoking Spirit can reveal the contents of destroyed pages.

(Richard would not know if Spirit is capable of doing such a thing, so you guys would not either. It wouldn't prevent you from trying, though.)
Then let me refine my vote. I would like to invoke Spirit only if the integrity of the book would prevent us from reading any pages we have not already read or to reconstitute damaged pages. As a matter of last resort.

(Got all of this fabulous discussion noted! Since I'd really like to keep things moving today, I'm going to lock the vote and count up the rolls now.

For the holy book, your total (after modifiers) is 16. The majority goes towards invoking Spirit, though with the caveat that to only invoke for reading pages that are not already read and/or reconstituting damaged pages.

For the hourglass, your total (after modifiers) is 54. No matter what, you'll do this first to minimize the effects of your soul ache.

Great stuff guys. Writing now!)

Chapter 85: Silver and Glass
Chapter 85: Silver and Glass

"It would seem Dream was quite literal, in this case."

Father Wilhelm snickers, no doubt at you regarding Father Pevrel as your shadow. "It would seem so."

"We can talk to Father Pevrel the moment we leave."

Once we've explored this building's mysteries.

You shift around the side of the altar, right in the front of the hourglass, and take several broad steps back. "May I see the telescope?"

You're carefully handed the item, while Father Wilhelm moves beside you. He's all smiles. "Do you suppose there's more to this, then?"

"We're about to find out."

The item is caked so deeply in dust, you have to blow off an inch-thick layer just to see any of its details. It's no more than half a foot tall. The wooden frame is rotting, and the lovely inscriptions it bears are mostly lost to Time. The glass itself is perfectly intact, at least, and a fine blend of purple and blue dyed sand lies within. Your eyes sparkle at the sight of it, wondering if the substance possesses some otherworldly properties.

Keeping a safe distance, you put the telescope to work. "As badly as I would like to flip the glass to test its duration, it may not be mundane. We should be careful." You're smiling now, too. "Did you know that sand glasses— or sand clocks—"

"Clocks?"

"A Time-keeping device."

"I see."

There's no stopping you, once you get going about this sort of thing. Love for your Goddess lifts your soft-spoken voice into one of confidence and admiration. "The creation of sand glasses can be attributed to findings from the ruins. They're Relics of their own sort. Lost inventions from a more modern age. Sundials and water clocks are most commonly used in Corcaea today, but the convenience of a sand glass is second to none. If one can find a glass blower, that is. Sand glasses are portable, and are used at times in the Church of Mercy by my clergy. Miniature ones can track the time for taking a pulse. They're favored by sailors, too, as they can be used reliably while sailing on water. The waves do not disturb them..."

You think you see something behind the glass, etched onto the interior of the wooden frame.

"What is it?" Father Wilhelm leans a little closer.

"It's in another language." Your frown could cut the glass that's distorting your view. You squint. "It's so small, I couldn't have seen it without the telescope. Just a few symbols—"

You nearly drop the telescope. Your head feels a little light just looking at the sigil. "It's elvish. Magic."

"What does it say?"

"I— I can't read it." This isn't going to deter you. You redouble your search on the item. "There must be some sort of enchantment on it. I can't imagine that it would be a curse. I will have to find a translator..."

Several minutes pass by in tense silence, while you scrutinize every other inch of the time piece. The rest of the etchings you can make out in the wood are of dunes of sand, rocky riverbeds, countless numbers, and beaches absent of the sea. There's no other writing, symbols, or glyphs that you can tell, aside from the phrase you already located.

You lower the telescope, hand it back to Father Wilhelm, and approach the hourglass with steady hands. Ungloved.

Ready for whatever pain is about to befall you, you take the item in both hands, and gently lift it from the altar. No curse befalls you. No terrible message from the Gods. You're just tired, and in so much pain that all you can think of is setting the item down as soon as possible.

"Judging by its size and weight—" You pause a moment, fighting against the pain in you to hold the hourglass up. It's mostly to get a better feel for it. The pain is also exquisite. You're blushing. It's fine. "—and its location and lightness, this is most likely a sermonglass. I'd say that this wouldn't be capable of even measuring a full hour. The preacher who once owned it may have had a better way with brevity than I—"

Father Wilhelm chuckles, moving to help you with the item. You can only imagine that whoever led this temple must have used the item on countless occasions to time their sermons. It has you wistfully sigh, while seeing if you can fit the timepiece into your satchel.

It fits into the bag's opening easily, though you do have to wonder if it will hold up alright in the endless carrying space. Thinking better of the matter, you locate a spare shirt, and wrap up the sand glass in an ample amount of black fabric. It completely cushions your find, ensuring that the bundle goes back inside of your things without further incident.

Your gaze once again goes to the tapestries. "Father Wilhelm?"

"Hmm?" He's looking at you with serious concern, but doesn't pry.

"Would you help me with these tapestries? I want to see if they'll— if they'll fit in my satchel."

"Whew." He rolls back his blood/grass/paint-stained sleeves. "Alright."

The two of you manage to unhook the tapestries from the wall after no less than ten minutes of seriously struggling. Ultimately, you have to get Father Wilhelm up on your shoulders, utilizing your unusual height and his knack for creativity.

The fabric drops to the ground in a devastating cloud of dust, smelling intensely of mold. It feels damp to the touch while you set about rolling the first one up. You went for Arentia's, of course.

I have to ask Mercy and Agriculture about this. Are the names that I know Them by just Their titles? Do they have regular names as well? Are these regular names? Is this something that Mother Aimar would know about, too? Why have I never heard of any of this before?

Rolling the tapestry into the tightest bundle you can still has the item sitting at almost a foot in diameter. The roll of fabric is five feet long, and is so heavy that Father Wilhelm can't lift it without extreme difficulty.

Bracing yourself, you set about cramming the entire roll into your satchel. It just barely fits.

You take another half hour to get the tapestry of Esthete off the wall, and to get both items completely into your bag. You're sweating by the end of it, your arms are aching, and you have no idea how you'll get either item out. Still, you couldn't be more pleased.

"These beautiful interpretations of our Gods will be better appreciated elsewhere."

Father Wilhelm gives you a hand to get up from the floor. Both of you laugh as he's nearly pulled down with you.

"I don't suppose you'll be wanting to take the rest?" He's being incredibly careful with the telescope, and brushes more sand off the end of the item. Both of you are getting caked in grit too, thanks to the constant downpour from the ceiling.

"I'd like to see that for just one more thing, but you should be the one to keep it."

He doesn't even try to hide his smile. "Are you sure...?"

"It's only right. You're the leader of the Church of Dream. Just think of the generations of men and women you could teach with such a thing. And— and besides, I—" You want to say that you could never repay the man for all of his kindness, even if you had one hundred artifacts at your disposal this very instant. You're fidgeting with the sand that's collected on your shirt, but you manage to keep smiling at him. "I really wouldn't know how to use it. I trust that it would be best held in your experienced hands."

He pulls you into a one-armed hug. "Thank you, Richard. I'll put it to good use."

You return the hug with both arms, and enough gusto to make the priest shout a little from the force of it.

"Easy!" He's still laughing. "Easy. Don't make me go asking for Mercy, now."

You ease up, eyes lingering on the holy book still sitting at the altar. "I'd be happy to keep the telescope with my things for safe-keeping, when we're done here. Just while we're traveling, of course."

"Of course." He hands the item off to you, also looking now to the altar. "Let's do this carefully, then."

The book's bindings are nonexistent, having been lost to the sands of Time. Literally. There is sand caking the entire top of the book. It's only thanks to the text's luminescent properties that you were able to read it at all. The cover has disintegrated along every visible edge, and you're more certain now than ever that it could be blown away if you do so much as breathe in the book's general direction.

Just to be sure, you take several steps back, and angle the telescope to get a better look at the top two pages.

They're magnified so closely, you can't read more than a letter or two at a time. It takes many minutes of pouring over the page to confirm that the telescope does not have any enchanted properties that would synergize with whatever secrets this text might hide.

Sister Cardew's glasses would have come in handy, here.

Cursing a little to yourself, you bundle up the telescope in the same fashion as the sand glass, and nestle it within your satchel.

Father Wilhelm stares you down, puffing away at his cigar. "You're going to invoke, aren't you?"

"Yes." You clasp your hands together.

He takes a couple of steps back. "I'm right here if you need me. Alright?"

Your hands part, looking to your mentor with disbelief. "You're not going to try and stop me?"

"I said I would keep an eye on you, so here I am." The mild-mannered priest gives you a tired smile. "It's none of my business how you live your life, Richard. Besides, I do believe this is out of our hands otherwise."

You take a minute to give him another hug (he gladly returns it), before standing before the center of the altar.

There's simply no way that you're getting any further information out of this text— or preserving it for future study— without resorting to divine intervention. Flipping a page would destroy it. If you had the materials on hand to repair the pages, you might be able to restore this text over many weeks, if not months, but certainly not now.

"Father Wilhelm?"

"Hmm?"

"You— you don't suppose that Spirit knows how to repair pages, do you?"

"Ah." His smile falters. "I do doubt that. She's the Goddess of the immaterial, after all."

"Right." You're in a cold sweat. "And how do you interpret all of this?"

"I haven't changed my tune. I think this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." The brunette sheepishly grins. "I wouldn't ever dare ask you to invoke on my behalf unless it were a matter of life or death— but I would be lying if I said that I didn't hope you would find a way to preserve this. It's just as important to me, in regards to study of my church, as well."

You're going to hug him again, at this rate. "I know I can live without knowing its contents— and with the shape that I'm in, I—"

"You might as well go on ahead." He takes another step back, for good measure. "It's alright."

Hands clasped together, you close your eyes, and pray.

"Spirit. Though you are never far from my thoughts, I call upon you now as a last resort. Before me lies a relic of a forgotten age. Share with me your wisdom, that I may preserve Your word. Their knowledge. Our people's worship. Their lives should amount to more than dust. I ask this of you with the utmost respect for your creed. I ask this of you out of devotion to Time and Dream. I beg of you, permit me to save this most holy work! Permit me to serve Dream and Time through your sanity. Grant me your sight. Grant me your integrity! Goddess of Knowledge! The immaterial MUST be known!"

Your soul tears at the seams.

A scream rips itself from your lips, but you manage to not fall forward onto the altar.

"Richard—" Father Wilhelm keeps his distance, watching in horror as strands of thread start to stream down from your eyes.

Father Pevrel bursts through the front doors of the temple, and practically comes running. "What the fuck—?!"

You clutch to the sides of the altar, unable to blink. The thin, white substance leaking from your eyes pools around your hands, and rapidly snakes into the holy book resting before you. Each thread swiftly begins to reconstruct its exterior.

At the same time, you're hit with an endless font of knowledge.

There are countless pages within the tome that are lost to Time— but not to Spirit. That which is decayed or faded beyond all recognition floods into your mind. It's not encoded in any way. There is no hidden text. These are the plain teachings of a forgotten civilization.

King Vaughn "the Vengeful" attempted to unite all the people's of Corcaea under the banner of equity. Every man, woman, and child was to uphold his law to the letter. An unseemly system, designed with clergy and King in mind. The King of Punishment saw to it that his religious teachers would educate the populace on the merits of prolonged suffering. Minor infractions were to be punished with far more extremes than even what you are used to witnessing today. Major infractions would be met with fates infinitely worse than death.

The common man could never be expected to uphold the strictness or cruelty of such a rule. There is no talk in this text of uprising, though. The mouthpieces of the Gods would speak only of servitude.

Along with the King's law, there's talk of balance among the Gods. A revolutionary system was proposed, to study the counterpoints of each opposing deity, and to find a way to balance Them. No simple solutions are listed. Instead, the bulk of the holy text is dedicated to observance of convoluted practices meant to circumvent the teachings of one God in an attempt to please both of Them. It touches on the merits of doing so with all of the Gods, but its focus is primarily that of Time and Dream— who are consistently referred to by the names you saw on the tapestries you've repossessed.

During the reign of a King of shadows, those who governed space and the night— Arentia and Esthete— were regarded over six hundred years ago as the primary deities of Corcaea, not even second to Vengeance (who is here named "Nemescian"). It was believed that rather than elevating one God above another, the greatest wisdom was to be found in observing all of Their will.

A sentiment that is near and dear to your heart. We know you are paying close attention.

In Arentia's case, strict observance of punctuality and productivity was regarded as sacred. The greater the work output of a given subject in the realm, the greater their position in society. Those who were capable of working through the night were elevated to positions of extreme wealth and authority— allegedly in respect to the Goddess. Conversely, those who failed to achieve were tried as heretics, or forced to work under conditions dictated by the Church of Vengeance.

These values still hold true to this very day. The Goddess of the Ages is, paradoxically, Timeless.

As for Esthete, one's productivity was to be measured in observance of the practical arts. Every waking endeavor was to be made in service to the God. There is a creative spin listed on everything from how to look after one's personal hygiene, to the rearing of children, to how to grieve for the loss of one's wife. Much of these teachings are intentionally omitted. The holy men or women who once preached here would have guided their congregation into devising their own, unique approach to life and all that they were expected to do with it.

Not so challenging for a man who lives or dies by his unpredictability. There is wisdom to be found in when not to do such a thing, too.

On top of the stringent legal system and unreasonable expectations towards the common man, there is also strict guidance laid out for clergy. It's all there in the book, which now has a repaired cover and spine, and is intact enough for you to carefully transport.

You collapse forward, ready to black out, but find yourself caught by the back of your robes by Father Pevrel before you can fall onto the altar.

Your shadow doesn't seem to give a shit that you're in the throes of a Goddess. Silver light bursts and flares from around his body— you're certain it's a trick of the thread-soaked eye— while he keeps you standing.

He speaks, but you can't process whatever is being said. His meaning is made clear to you, instead.

"I've been worried sick about you. I shouldn't have left. Can you release Her?"

You pause, looking with impossibly wide eyes to the altar. The holy book is closed, and on it is a silver cover. Etched into the front in white writing are the words, "The Little King's Law."

This is not the original title, which simply said, "King Vaughn's Law." This moniker is what He was known as in life, and is far more befitting of His reign.

The invocation ends, and with it, you collapse on top of the altar— dragging Father Pevrel with you.

"Anscham. Anscham, wake up." You're being slapped. Hard.

"Mercy—"

"Don't 'Mercy' me. Wake up." You can hear the smile in Father Pevrel's voice. He slaps you one more time, and swiftly steps back to avoid you punching him on reflex.

You drag yourself up from the altar, groaning and rubbing at the side of your cheek. You're greeted instead by the sight of a dilapidated temple, and two incredibly worried priests.

"It worked," Father Wilhelm says. He's cradling the colossal holy book in his arms, as if someone is going to snatch it from him at any moment. He glances towards Father Pevrel before handing it off to you.

The lord of wrath looks like he's so pissed, his anger has looped back around towards cold judgement. His hard gaze follows the book as it's handed off, then stares you down.

You feel like shit. The ache in you has redoubled, but there's none of the usual mental devastation that used to accompany your more abusive invocations of Spirit.

She heard.

She listened.

You take the weighty item in both hands, before holding it close to your heart.

She talked to me.

"The Gods are Merciful."

>A] Go explore the basement! Adventure awaits! You're probably going to keel over halfway there, but you're going to try, dammit!

>B] Father Pevrel is probably going to kill you at this rate. Head out, and see what's been bothering him while you march.

>C] Take a moment to give your thanks to Spirit. You've only correctly invoked Her a few times before, and you want to set a better precedent.

>D] You are really trying to take better care of yourself. Propose that you all leave. Go make camp somewhere safe in Sunset Hallow, and study this tome under the stars.

>E] Write-in.

Last edited:
Back