Beseech the spirits. A riot quest

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

A young mage discovers an aptitude for spirit magic. Unfortunately you are the spirits. Do you answer?
Opening Post

DangerKitty

shoddy writter
Since time immemorial Magic has been a staple of society. All across the world it is used to power feats both heroic and villainous. From talismans and cultivation to mages and knights to the druids of the deep woods it is always magic that lies at the core. Though usually one wields the fabric of reality with a strong hand or will, not all have what it takes to bend reality to their will. Some must beseech the world and the spirits to bless them with their might.

Now, as a young aspirants dreams are crushed beneath the realization that they do not have what it takes to be a mage. You, my readers. will save him from a life of mediocrity. Every vote he will beseech you for either power or wisdom, or mayhap you will whisper in his ear or tip the scales unprompted. His success will depend upon your whims, be they benign or malignant.

All of you will start as young spirits, drawn by the young mages awakening. With every vote you cast you take some of the young mages magic. This, time and your bond with the mage will allow you to grow over time, granting you new possible abilities and power dependent on how you choose to grow.

But we have yet to set the stage. From what setting does our new friend hail?

[] Xianxia. The MC is a nascent cultivator, awakened to the ability to use spirits to cultivate and use his mystical arts. The story will start in a sect, with the young cultivator having only just awakened. Can you guide him through a tumultuous land of young masters and dangerous spirit lords?

[] Swords and Spells. The MC is born to a land of classical knights and mages. The mc has awakened as a spirit mage and must grow to use the sometimes unpredictable spells that allow him to channel your might or perhaps become a summoner. But his trials will not merely be your whimsy. Enrolled in a magic academy, he will have to navigate the social politics of his fellow lords and ladies as war looms on the horizon.

[] High fantasy. A less grounded version of the swords and spells setting. Magic is much more common and magical race are similarly far more common than the swords and spells option. Choose this If you prefer more grand and wild adventures to the political and nationalist struggles of swords and spells. Evil lords included.

[] Grimdark. Humanity has dwindled and the night is long. Ruins of what was tower over what is left. In this tale of survival a mage discovers you, some of the last spirits left. Can you light humanities way in the dark? Choose this if you want a story of horror, loss and hope.

Open to suggestions on alternative settings.

A/N: I enjoy the community and enjoyment of riot quests but i have always struggled with one aspect of it that just drains all my enthusiasm for it.... Spreadsheets. Inspired by the tree riot quest, this is my attempt at a riot quest with less paperwork to get in the way of the story and quest.

[X] Swords and Spells

I'm always a sucker for magic schools and noble bullshit.

[X] Musical Comedy. Imagine living in a Disney Princess movie, where things have a habit of breaking into song for no other reason than that they can and 'hilarity ensues' is a fact of life.

[X] Swords and Spells

Last edited:
[X] High fantasy
[X] Xianxia

More magic more good! I'm a fan of high fantasy in general, honestly.

Last edited:
[X] Grimdark. Humanity has dwindled and the night is long. Ruins of what was tower over what is left. In this tale of survival a mage discovers you, some of the last spirits left. Can you light humanities way in the dark? Choose this if you want a story of horror, loss and hope.

[X] Grimdark. Humanity has dwindled and the night is long. Ruins of what was tower over what is left. In this tale of survival a mage discovers you, some of the last spirits left. Can you light humanities way in the dark? Choose this if you want a story of horror, loss and hope.

Lets help someone who really NEEDS us. Lets be their hope in the long night. Lets be their promise of a better future. Let us be their Guardian Angel. Let us be their adviser. Let us be their strategist. Let us be their teacher. Let us be the one who will stand by them though it all. Let us be the one who will always raise them up when they fall. Let us be the one who will show them a better way. Let us be their FRIEND.

Last edited:
QM I'd like to propose a modern fantasy setting. I want to advise/support a magically disabled Beholder teen who just wants something better than a part time McDragonchips job. Or an Orc public defender who wants to actually help some people and not have to struggle for rent every month. Or a burnt out Halfling corpo who's just done with the bowing and scraping but doesn't have the arcane oomph to do anything about it alone.

Or something like that

QM I'd like to propose a modern fantasy setting. I want to advise/support a magically disabled Beholder teen who just wants something better than a part time McDragonchips job. Or an Orc public defender who wants to actually help some people and not have to struggle for rent every month. Or a burnt out Halfling corpo who's just done with the bowing and scraping but doesn't have the arcane oomph to do anything about it alone.

Or something like that

While novel and unique. Im not sure i want to write a workplace drama. My only consumption of the genre is the office.

Back