A story of Pyramids,Greeks and Egyptians (A Cleopatra Quest)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Cleopatra contemplated her position as she sat on a throne next to her father Ptolemy Xll...
Pronouns
Male
Cleopatra contemplated her position as she sat on a throne next to her father Ptolemy Xll Auletes who had just four hours ago proclaimed her Queen of Egypt. At fourteen you would think Cleopatra would be riding a horse or playing with other children. But you would be wrong she was staring at the head of her sister Bernice who had just a second ago had her head chopped off on the order of her father. The reason for her execution treason she rebelled against their father and took control of Egypt for herself.

That was three years ago the reason this whole mess happened though the reason would be that in In 58 BC, Ptolemy XII failed to comment on the Roman conquest of Cyprus ruled by his brother Ptolemy of Cyprus thereby inciting the Egyptian population to start a rebellion. Egyptians were already aggravated by heavy taxes (to pay Rome protection money to protect Egypt from....Rome) and a substantial increase in the cost of living. Ptolemy XII fled to Rome, with his daughter Cleopatra in search of safety. His daughter Berenice IV became his successor. She ruled as co-regent with her mother Cleopatra VI Tryphaena A year after Ptolemy XII's exile, Cleopatra VI Tryphaena died and Berenice ruled alone over Alexandria from 57 to 56 BC.

From Rome, Ptolemy XII prosecuted his restitution but met opposition from certain members of the Senate. Ptolemy XII's old ally Pompey housed the exiled king and his daughter and argued on behalf of Ptolemy's restoration in the Senate. During this time, Roman creditors realized that they would not get the return on their loans to the Egyptian king without his restoration. Thus in 57 BC, pressure from the Roman public forced the Senate's decision to restore Ptolemy. However, Rome did not wish to invade Egypt to restore the king since the Sibylline books stated that if an Egyptian king asked for help and Rome proceeded with military intervention, great dangers and difficulties would occur.

Egyptians heard rumors of Rome's possible intervention and disliked the idea of their exiled king's return. Cassius Dio reported that a group of one hundred men were sent as envoys from Egypt to make their case to the Romans against Ptolemy XII's restoration, but Ptolemy had their leader poisoned and most of the other protesters killed before they reached Rome to plead their desires.

But Ptolemy Xll finally regained his throne by paying Aulus Gabinius the Roman Governor of Syria 10,000 talents to invade Egypt in 55 BC. Gabinius defeated the Egyptian frontier forces, marched to Alexandria, and attacked the palace, where the palace guards surrendered without fighting.

But an Egyptian monarch could not rule without a co-ruler so four hours ago he proclaimed Cleopatra Queen of Egypt but Cleopatra at the moment didn't care that her sister was dead that she was Queen and co-ruler of Egypt along with her Father the Pharaoh. All Cleopatra could think was that "I'm home I'm actually home I will undoubtedly grieve for Bernice later but I'm home!" Cleopatra was now Queen of Egypt but it remained to be seen weather she would be a good Queen.

So, man ya posted this like hours ago and there are no votes options. Are ya sure ya wanted to post this thread here or on the 'User Fiction' one?

Turn 1 55 B.C
You are Cleopatra Queen of Egypt but at the cot of your mother and sister being dead and roman boots on Egyptian soil. You will make Egypt and the Ptolemaic dynasty great again even if it kills you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Diplomacy (choose one)

[] Let Egypt see there Queen: There is serious discontent in Egypt against the Ptolemy Dynasty thanks to your fathers policies and bloody reclamation of the throne if you make a visit up the Nile than the people might calm down after all the Queen "cares" for them!

[] Diplomatic visit to the Triumvirate: It would be prudent to secure Egypt's relations with the Triumvirate of Gaius Julius Caesar, Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, and Marcus Licinius Crassus. As they control major Roman armies. (75% chance of success)

[] look at suitors for a husband: finding the right husband can be very advantageous for Egypt and yourself.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Martial (choose one)

[] Reports on the Army and Navy : find out the strengths and the weaknesses of the Ptolemaic army and navy.

[] recruit soldiers for army: the army needs more soldiers to defend Egypt

[] recruit sailors for Navy: the Ptolemaic Navy needs sailors to defend Egypt
___________________________________________________________________________________________
stewardship (choose one)

[] report on Egyptian economy: find out the current state of the economy

[] start repaying debt: Ptolemaic Egypt has a debt of 10,000 ducats we need to start repaying this

[] crack down on corruption: its time to make sure all the money goes to you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Intrigue (choose one)

[] find spy's to employ inside Egypt: you need eyes and ears everywhere

[] food tasters: best make sure your wine and food are not poisoned.

[] find spy's to be employed outside of Egypt: you have to know what your neighbors are doing
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Learning (choose one)

[] report on the culture of Ptolemaic Egypt: you need to know the people

[] get better intrigue: you need to know how to personally spy on someone

[] learn to fight: you need to know how to fight.
Personal (choose one)

[] visit the Alexandria: you love visiting the city and the sea.

[] spend time with your father: hang out with your dad

[] spend time with your siblings: you have two little brothers and a little sister and god you haven't seen them in three years!

[X] Let Egypt see there Queen: There is serious discontent in Egypt against the Ptolemy Dynasty thanks to your fathers policies and bloody reclamation of the throne if you make a visit up the Nile than the people might calm down after all the Queen "cares" for them!
[X] reports on the Army and Navy : find out the strengths and the weaknesses of the Ptolemaic army and navy.
[X]crack down on corruption: its time to make sure all the money goes to you.
[X] find spy's to employ inside Egypt: you need eyes and ears everywhere
[X] get better intrigue: you need to know how to personally spy on someone
[X] spend time with your siblings: you have two little brothers and a little sister and god you haven't seen them in three years!

Last edited:
[X] Let Egypt see there Queen: There is serious discontent in Egypt against the Ptolemy Dynasty thanks to your fathers policies and bloody reclamation of the throne if you make a visit up the Nile than the people might calm down after all the Queen "cares" for them!
[X] reports on the Army and Navy : find out the strengths and the weaknesses of the Ptolemaic army and navy.
[X] spend time with your siblings: you have two little brothers and a little sister and god you haven't seen them in three years!

Basically the same vote as Terran's, but I think we need to learn spying more than we do fighting.

OK sorry for being so lazy vote is called

By the way for dice rolling i'm using a system performance in interactions based on beginning middle and end
Lovemuffin threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: Egypt see there queen Total: 191
36 36 69 69 86 86
Lovemuffin threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: crack down on corruption Total: 183
64 64 55 55 64 64
Lovemuffin threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: spy's for Egypt Total: 155
42 42 32 32 81 81
Lovemuffin threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: get better intrigue Total: 101
43 43 34 34 24 24
Lovemuffin threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: spend time with your sibling Total: 89
14 14 17 17 58 58

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn 1 55 B.C Results
Egypt will see there Queen:
In Alexandria and the Nile Delta you were met with grim silence in Lower Egypt you were met with enthusiasm in Upper Egypt you were met with absolute Joy.

Crack down on Corruption:
In most of Egypt high level corruption is gone though low level corruption is still running unchecked particularly in Upper Egypt outside of the Alexandria area. (more in: there can be only one)

Spies for Egypt:
In Alexandria Spies are modestly integrated into society while we barely have any spies in Upper Egypt but on the bright side we have spies at nearly every level in Lower Egypt including the priesthood.

Better Intrigue for ourselves:
it was hard but were better at this now (more in: how to spy)

Spending time with your siblings:
They refused to talk with you until you sat the three of them down and asked what was the matter (more in: a family problem)

Military report:
lets just say it was bad one Roman legion could route the entire Egyptian army (more in: Ptolemaic military forces)

Ptolemaic military report
The Ptolemaic military follows the Greek-Macedonian tradition with three types of infantry, cavalry and war elephants and plus the Navy.

Heavy Infantry- Full time guard service and equipped in Macedonian fashion as pike men initially only open to Greeks but due to manpower shortages was opened to native service.

Medium Infantry- Intermediate roll between heavy and light infantry carries large oval shield and armed with thrusting spears, Javillons and a sword. These forces can fight with Light troops before forming ranks and fighting with the Heavy infantry this branch of infantry has always been open to natives.

Light Infantry- Provides range support, scouts and harasses enemy Infantry and cavalry this branch of infantry has always been open to natives.

Calvary- Deployed as skirmishers and guard units initially only open to Greeks but due to manpower shortages was opened to native service

War Elephants- Outfitted with armor and carries troops on there backs when grouped together during battle elephants can be used as line breakers on Infantry formations though damage caused by this is more psychological than physical Ptolemaic elephants drawn from North Africa though Asian elephants are better initially only open to Greeks but due to manpower shortages was opened to native service.

Greeks who fight in the army get a plot of land and farm tools natives DO NOT get this its a Greek only policy.

Navy- Commanders and admirals are Greeks but the low ranking officers and crew are natives. The Navy is in serious decline and reliant on Roman support to the point that when the Roman invaded to restore your father they did not contest the Invasion and remained in port.

Force sizes- Egypt can field large groups of Light Infantry on land and Large Fleets at sea.

A family problem
Your siblings had been avoiding you running off when they saw you coming and staying in the government sections of the Palace or the gardens generally anywhere you were in short supply. But finally you manged to corner the three of them in the government section of the palace as your meeting with the Nome of Meydum had run late. You distinctly remember feeling tired and frustrated as the Nome reported that it was impossible for him to send the required taxes to the Crown without the city entering a severe depression finally I directed the troublesome Nome to the office of some economic policy man. But when I left the audience room I caught all three of my siblings playing some game I called to them "Arisone, Big Ptolemy, Little Ptolemy can you come here please!"

All of them froze like statues before looking at me and slowly resigning themselves to there fate and slowly trudged into the audience room with you taking up the rear. Once you got the kids sat down and you sat down in a chair across from them you asked "why are you avoiding me don't deny it I know you are so i'm only going to ask once why are you avoiding me?" while the two boys looked uncomfortable Arisone looked furious and screamed "BECAUSE YOUR A ROMAN WHORE AND MURDERESS THAT KILLED OUR SISTER AND ABANDONED HER SIBLINGS!" I was taken aback and almost lost my cool staying calm I seethed out " And why would you think that dearest sister Arisone by now having calmed down said "because instead of staying here with our sister Bernice to improve Egypt you decided to follow in our fathers footsteps and turn on your blood and spread your legs to the Romans all the while when you finally came back here at he head of an invading army you had the gall to claim our sisters crown and watch as she died."

You were taken back but only because these were your own guilty thoughts at night but you wouldn't give Arisone the satisfaction of knowing that so you replied "I know your angry but father is the rightful Pharaoh even if you don't like him." Arisone had nothing to say to that just sitting there for a good twenty seconds before garbing your brothers hands and storming off in a huff. You sighed hoping that one day you could win your stubborn sister and by extension your brothers over.

Reward: Arisone and by extension your brothers view you as a whore and traitor to Egypt and have aligned with the Anti-Rome faction against you and your father.

There can only be one
You winced behind the veiled dais you viewed the executions from you didn't want to be present but your father hypocrite that he is said "If you pass the sentence then you must watch it be done." Completely ignoring that he had sentenced hundreds to die in his life time yet had only attended a handful of executions in his life. The only thing you could tell yourself was that these people were stealing from you and your family and therefore they deserved to die. But what made you shiver was this was only the tip of the ice burg the frosting on the cake Corruption was still rampant in lower levels and in common areas That meant this that even more people will die. But how did you feel about these peoples deaths.....

[] You get a sick high whenever you see the blade fall on someone's head.

[] It was a necessary action

[] you hope you never have to see a travesty like this again.

How to spy
You had decided that you needed to work on not being so loud around other people which in other words meant learning how to spy. Deciding on a target had proved difficult especially in the aftermath of the Arisone situation but in the end you had chosen the big guy himself your only equal in all of Egypt (in reality your superior) your father but you had to do this in a way were it looked like you were just popping in for a nice conversation not spying on him.

So you leaned on a column for a while and watched him talk with some of his slaves that were pouring him wine. Eventually a slave saw you and went to alert your father but you quickly put a finger to your mouth and the slave said nothing fearful of your retribution if he told you were present.

Unfortunately you were unable to spy any longer as one of the numerous courtiers entered so before he could speak up you quickly went to acknowledge your father saying "father it's good to see you". Your father turned around surprised to see you as no one had announced you would be visiting but the Ptolemaic king recovered quickly saying "Cleopatra this is a pleasant surprise I wasn't expecting you to visit me today".

You quickly replied "I thought I would surprise you father" that was a lie of course but he didn't know that and as long as he didn't know all was well. You chatted a few minutes with your father before excusing yourself to head back to your room as you walked you thought "that was close far to close if i'm going to spy o someone than I need to do it well that Courtier or slave could have ratted me out".

Back