Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

In 297 After Conquest, a group of waylaid sailors return to King's Landing with news. A foreign, unknown land has made itself known off the southern shores of Essos.

Meanwhile, Jon suffers from bizarre visions and dreams of colored fire, dragons, and a woman with a gloam-colored left eye.

And so, once again—

"The fallen leaves tell a story..."
Chapter I

SkyRig

Wake the f#ck up, samurai.
Pronouns
He
Hey everyone. I'm back, and with a new story from patreon. A while back, around the start of the new year if I remember right, I hosted a poll asking people on my patreon what story they wanted to see. They had three options: A RWBY/Baldur's Gate 3 crossover, a Persona 3/Persona 5 crossover, and this story. As you can see, this story won the poll.

To be honest, I'm still not fond of having to resort to using patreon, but hey, if it helps my financial situation and help my family, what the hell. And its also thanks to you guys that I'm able to continue writing in the first place, since like any self-respecting fanfic author, I want people to respond and react to my writing so I can improve.

With that out of the way, a quick notice. This story actually has five chapters as of this writing. If you like what you see and want to read more, as well as possibly offer ideas of your own (that may or may not make it into the story), find out more
HERE. And if you want to support me outside of this shamepless plugging, consider checking out my book series Chase Ryder and the City of Lost Memories over on Amazon. I recommend the kindle versions as they are the cheapest.

...no, seriously. I TRIED making the paperback versions around 15 bucks, but Amazon wouldn't let me. Assholes!

"And it grew both day and night, till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine, and he knew that it was mine."
A Poison Tree,
by William Blake

The fallen leaves tell a story.

JON

Jon awoke with a startled gasp. His body moved, driven by adrenaline and fear, reaching for the blunted sword laid at his bedside. His actions stirred the slumbering direwolf at the foot of his bed. Ghost lazily raised his head and peered at his master inquisitively, perplexed by his sudden movements.

In his half-woken state, Jon swore he saw someone with a brandished blade in hand. Instead, he found no one. His room was empty and barren, his belongings undisturbed. He looked around, searching for a potential intruder, but found no one.

A moment passed before Jon sighed, letting the tension bleed from his muscles. He slid the blunted sword back into its sheath, wiping the cold sweat from his brow.

"Another dream," he murmured with a frown.

For reasons Jon could not fathom, dreams plagued him for the last few months or so, so vivid and fantastical he nearly thought them to be reality. They spoke of an epic, dark and dreary and worthy of songs, yet he could not understand why he dreamed of them. He did not know if it was hearing one too many of Old Nan's tales or if the dreams were a message from the gods. What message the dreams entailed, he did not know. In the end, he merely dismissed them as fanciful and nothing more.

That, and Jon sorely believed the gods would deign to speak to a bastard child.

His father, Lord Eddard Stark, is the Lord Paramount and Warden of the North. The Stark lineage is long and storied, dating as far back as the days when the Children of the Forest once freely frolicked across the planes of Westeros and dragons soared the skies. The Northern climate is harsh even in the best times, but such conditions gave rise to warriors and survivors. These people came to call the freezing winds and white-laden lands home when House Stark once ruled like kings.

Like other kings in ages past, however, they were made to bend the knee and swear fealty to a wayward conqueror from the eastern lands of Essos.

In nearly three centuries, House Stark managed to retain its influence and power, and according to some, it boasted a stronger connection now more than ever thanks to the rebellion nearly twenty years ago. In his younger years, Eddard Stark fought alongside and befriended Robert Baratheon, once heir of the Stormlands and now King of the Iron Throne. While relations between the North and the South remained tense and uneasy, the friendship between the king and the Northern Warden offered no small amount of political power to the Northern lands. Eddard Stark's actions and accolades made him popular in the North, respected, and recognized as a worthwhile leader of the house and of the North.

And yet, for reasons few could fathom, Eddard Stark welcomed his own bastard child into Winterfell.

Although Jon got on well with his half-siblings for the most part, the same could not be said of Eddard's lady-wife Catelyn. She did not demean or insult him, and she never once raised a hand against him. That would imply she deigned to interact with the boy at all. Her weapon toward him was a stare, cold as the winter winds, and a silence as dead as the crypts. Any cruel barbs or insults were reserved behind closed doors and away from sensitive ears, in the privacy of her room or his father's solar.

Jon never understood why his father welcomed him and raised him with the rest of his half-siblings. Perhaps he did it out of duty, or perhaps out of familial love. Perhaps it was made because of a promise to his late mother, a woman everyone knew little of. The identity of Jon's mother is a secret known only to Eddard Stark, a secret he seemed adamant about taking to the grave. Jon lost count of how many times he asked about his mother's identity. When Lord Stark refused to give a name, he asked what sort of person she was. Again, Lord Stark refused to say beyond that she loved Jon with all her heart.

He vaguely remembered the rumor that danced about Winterfell years ago when he was but a few name days, how the servants speculated his mother was a woman named Ashera Dayne. He recognized the name, if only from his studies; Ashara Dayne was one of ladies-in-waiting for the late Princess Elia Martell, sister to Prince Oberyn Martell and heir of Dorne. The servants often spoke of her beauty, how it captivated and bewitched so many, his father supposedly among them. Any talk of Ashara died the moment Lord Stark heard the rumors, and with a snarling rage that wouldn't be out of place on a direwolf.

Jon did not know whether Ashara was his mother, but he felt no attachment to the name. It did not stir anything in him.

Jon took a few moments to relax, calming his nerves before he finally laid himself back down to sleep. Daylight had yet to break through his curtains, meaning morning practice and chores could wait a while longer. He wanted to sleep a while longer despite the horrid experience from earlier. Ghost padded its way up next to him, gently laying at his master's side while Jon lulled himself back to slumber.

No dream assailed his sleep then.

(linebreak)

"You look like shit," was the first thing that came out of Theon Greyjoy's mouth when Jon joined him and his half-brother Robb for morning practice.

Jon rolled his eyes, recognizing the barb for what it was. Robb, on the other hand, looked concerned. "Is everything alright, Jon? You don't look well."

"I'm fine," he insisted. "Just had another strange dream is all."

He told Theon and Robb of his dreams once before if only to have some peace of mind and the vague hope they might be able to help make sense of them. Theon told him he listened to Old Nan's stories one too many times whereas Robb wore a disturbed, if curious look, often inquiring about every detail Jon could remember. Ultimately, the dreams still made little sense to either boy.

"Same as before?" Robb asked.

Jon nodded. "Same as before."

"I keep telling you, you listen to that hag's stories too much," Theon said. He hopped over the wooden fence surrounding the training yard and grabbed one of the blunted swords from the rack, giving it a few swings to test its weight. 'They're amusing to hear, but ol' Nan's barking mad, I tell you."

"And her stories often have a grain of truth to them, you bloody arse," Robb groaned as he joined Theon in the yard. "And we shouldn't dismiss Jon's dreams so off-handedly. For all we know, they could be green dreams."

"Oh, come off it. When's the last time one of your greenseers showed up?"

Jon pursed his lips in thought. Truthfully, he wanted to agree with Theon. Whatever dreams they were, they were certainly not green dreams. The last records of the greenseers was during the days of the Andals' arrival in Westeros, that which supposedly marked the end of magic and of the Children of the Forest.

He put the thought out of his mind and joined his half-brother and Theon in the yard, engaging in the routine practice of clashing blades. It was these moments that made Jon feel like a trueborn Stark. Each time he clashed swords, he felt his hackles rise and his wolfsblood whisper. Instinct propelled him to move faster and strike harder, in turning making Robb and Theon more competitive. As they continued to exchange blows, Jon felt his worries bleed away.

By the time the sun was in the sky and the servants were up and about Winterfell's halls, the morning routine reached its end. The boys were caked with sweat and their swords nicked. As always, Theon struggled to keep tempo with the Stark-blooded boys, though Robb looked tired, having tried to keep up with Jon and failing. When Rodrik arrived, they had already returned their swords to the rack and separated. Robb left to Maester Luwin and continue his lessons while Jon went with Theon to the eastern wing.

"Say, Jon, you heard what's been happening over in the South lately?" Theon asked suddenly as they walked through the halls. "Heard some sailors talking in a tavern the other day. Something's got the high and mighty nobles there twisting their nickers."

"Like what?"

"Somethin' the sailors saw near the southern coasts off Essos. Dunno what, but with how pale the sailors' faces were, I'd thought they'd run into my uncle Euron." A shudder went down Jon's spine, noting the disturbed look on Theon's face. Admittedly, Jon knew little of the Ironborn beyond hearsay and what Theon told him, but even then, he knew nothing of their people and culture. Even so, the name invoked a feeling of indescribable dread.

As Jon and Theon rounded the corner, a familiar head of dark hair barreled into him, nearly throwing him to the floor. He grunted, nearly losing his grip on the wooden box in his arms. "Ow!" a familiar voice whined below him. "H-hey, who put a wall there?"

"Guess again, Arya," Theon snickered.

Arya Stark, Eddard Stark's youngest daughter and child, often described as a wild child more interested in how to swing a sword than sewing. Besides Robb, Jon felt he was closest with her out of all his siblings. Try as his father did, it was impossible to tame her. She took to her lessons with the septa as well as a fish took to dry land, or so Theon had said. He thought she was closer to a direwolf, free and wild as the wind.

Arya blinked and looked up from her spot on the floor. "Oh. Hey, Jon."

"What? No hello for me?" Theon gasped in mock pain, making a grandiose gesture of clasping his chest as though he were in pain. "I'm hurt, Arya."

Jon rolled his eyes, ignoring the squid for a moment in favor of his half-sister. "On the run from the septa again?" he guessed.

"It's not my fault the lessons are boring," Arya whined as she picked herself up off the floor. "I'd rather listen to Luwin than the old hag."

"Come on, don't say that. I'm sure she means well." He only said that to keep appearances, of course. Jon didn't particularly care much for Septa Mordane. The old woman was doing her job and could be kind at times, but such temperament was usually reserved for Sansa and her mother. She was respectful to the men of the household, all while expressing mild displeasure with him. She didn't call him out or make snide remarks, but she was certainly rude when she wanted to be.

Not that he expected anything different.

His sister recognized the lie for what it was and scoffed. "Oh, please. I'd much rather join you, Robb, and Theon in the yard."

"You're always welcome to get your ass kicked," Theon japed. "I could use a friend in the mud. Your brothers have an unhealthy tendency to beat each other into the ground when their blood goes to their sword arms."

"And you're any better?" Arya challenged.

Theon smirked. "Oh, I never claimed to be. As fun as it is to chat with you, we should get going. We've an errand to run for the blacksmith, and I'd rather not get chewed out again."

Arya gave him a skeptical look. "…did you lay with his daughter again?"

"You make it sound as if I've seduced her. I assure you, it was the other way around."

Jon sighed. That certainly explained why Sir Mikken looked a hair's breadth away from cutting Theon down where he stood.

ROBB

After his lessons with Maester Luwin ended, Robb went to join his father and continue his studies into lordship when he happened across his lady mother, Catelyn Stark, speaking with one of his father's men outside his solar. He recognized the soldier as Sir Carlos, a newcomer to Winterfell but easily one of the most devoted men its Master of Arms had the pleasure of teaching. He crossed blades with him once before. While Sir Carlos was not as good as he or Jon, he still had an amazing sword arm.

"…he's been in such a mood since the letter arrived," Robb heard his mother say. "You do not know what was written?"

Sir Carlos shook his head. "I am afraid not, my lady. I dared not ask for fear of incurring Lord Stark's wrath, not with the way he glared at the raven."

Robb frowned. What sort of letter arrived to put father in such a bad mood?

His lady mother heard his approach and turned, smiling kindly when she saw him. "Oh, hello, Robb. Have you come to speak with your father?"

Robb nodded his head in greeting. "Yes, mother. I want to continue where we last left off in our studies from the other day, though I fear I have picked a bad time. Forgive me, but I overheard some of your conversation. Father received a letter?"

"Yes, Lord Robb," Sir Carlos said. "The letter came from King's Landing bearing the seal of the Crown."

Robb's eyes widened significantly. "From the king?"

Like many, Robb heard the stories of how Eddard Stark became friends and sworn brothers with King Robert Baratheon during his father's time in the Eyrie, and how it'd been the Starks who first answered Robert Baratheon's call for war when Lyanna Stark, his aunt, was stolen away by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and the Mad King killed his grandfather and uncle, Lord Rickard and Brandon Stark. Even now, bards continue to sing the tales of the Wolf and Stag Lords. What the bards failed to realize was that whatever friendship between his father and King Robert had evidently soured.

Oh, his father spoke fondly of his time under Jon Arryn and his friendship with the king, but there was always a bittersweet tone. Whenever he spoke of the king as of late, he did so with trepidation. Robb asked what could have happened to sour their friendship. He did not say, but his expression told Robb all he needed to know. The king did something that his father could not stomach.

"I cannot say. All I know is that its contents have put Lord Stark in a foul mood," Sir Carlos said before bowing his head in apology. "Forgive me, but I must return to the yard. Sir Cassel wants to put us through our paces, and I do not wish to incur his wrath."

"Please, do not let us keep you," Robb said. The knight smiled gratefully at the young lordling and left, disappearing down the hall.

His mother offered him a kind smile before she left as well, mentioning something about talking to the septa. Robb watched her leave before he turned to the door to his father's solar and took a deep breath. If his father was in a mood, he knew better than to press his luck. Even on his best behavior, Robb knew he wasn't the perfect student. There were times when Maester Luwin would look at him with disappointment or when his father shook his head, though admittedly Robb knew it was deserved for having acted out in those moments, and even then, the mistake was corrected shortly after. A student's job is to learn, and a student who doesn't learn shouldn't be a student at all, or so the Maester had said.

Robb rapped his knuckles against the wooden frame of the door. "Father, it's me."

"Enter."

He opened the door and stepped inside. Lord Eddard Stark, Paramount of the North and head of House Stark, sat at his study with the look of scrutiny. Sir Carlos' words were proven as he saw his father level a look mixed with bitterness and resignation, a furrowed brow implying dueling thoughts.

Robb closed the door behind him and stepped in front of the desk. "Is…everything alright?" he asked, choosing his words carefully. "Sir Carlos and mother are worried."

Eddard said nothing for a short while, staring at the letter on his desk before he sighed, pinching the ridge of his nose before looking up at his eldest. "A letter arrived from King's Landing, written by His Grace. It seems he wishes for me to ride for the Red Keep and join him to investigate a foreign land."

Robb blinked. "A foreign land?" he repeated, befuddled. "I do not understand. The lands surrounding Westeros have been known to us for years."

Were this news in relation to the Sunset Sea, Robb might have been willing to believe such talk. To the best of his knowledge, not a single ship that made its voyage across the Sunset Sea never returned, either having sunk to the bottom of the ocean or disappeared, never to be heard from again. There were many theories and stories of what laid beyond the Sunset Sea, with the Lords of the Lonely Night having no shortage of tall tales and fables, but that was all they were. Robb once asked Theon about them, hoping to find some grain of truth, but it seemed not even the Greyjoy heir knew for certain what laid beyond the western seas of Westeros.

In contrast, most of the lands to the east were documented and mapped, albeit to a point. The lands beyond the Bones, the Further East, remain largely unknown.

Eddard must have seen the thoughtful look on his son's face and spoke, addressing the thoughts in his head. "A band of sailors returning from Lys were caught in a storm and were adrift at sea for a time. According to them, the seas were unnaturally violent and unruly. They'd been missing for at least two months before they managed to reach Driftmark."

"Two months is a long time, even for a voyage between Lys and Driftmark," Robb noted. "How bad was it?"

"They lost four men," Eddard replied sadly. "Two fell overboard during the storm, and two more died of starvation." The lord shook his head. Although he did not know the sailors, he mourned for the senseless loss of life all the same.

"They starved?"

"I imagine they believed it would be a short voyage," he replied. "Sadly, the gods old and new are fickle. They went four days without food and water when they ended up drifting through a thick fog. Past it, they found a land they'd never seen before, one with a giant tree standing sentinel from over the distance."

Robb frowned. "A giant tree? Sounds like the sort of tale a bard would think up."

"I thought much the same at first, but the sailors reports lead me to believe otherwise."

From there, his lord father told him what King Robert relayed to Eddard in the letter. The sailors docked on foreign shores, driven by hunger and desperation. Whether by fate or luck, the foreign land they discovered was inhabited as they were happened upon by a roaming band of soldiers. The soldiers flew no banner they recognized, but were thankfully hospitable. The sailors were offered lodgings and food in a village, as well as some supplies for the return trip home. They also brought with them trinkets and gifts during their admittedly short time in that foreign land. One such trinket was included with the letter.

Eddard handed the trinket to Robb. It looked like a far-eye, albeit in the color of polished silver rather than dull bronze. The round glass attached to the end was smaller as well, though he couldn't help but notice the intricate, thin markings where the glass and metal coupled. He also took notice of the odd ring-like protrusions in the middle of the tube. Stranger still, the protrusion moved when he rubbed his fingers across its surface.

"Look into the eye and twist the ring," his father ordered.

Robb frowned, but did as he was told. He looked through the far-eye and at his father's face. He twisted the ring and—

He gasped, nearly dropping the far-eye as he pulled it away from his face. His father hadn't moved from his desk. He looked through the far-eye again, this time twisting the ring in the opposite direction. Robb watched in fascination in shock as the eye's view expanded. Where before he saw his father's face, he now saw the study in its entirety, and his father in full view.

Robb breathed in amazement, gently setting the far-eye on the desk, fearing he might break it with the slightest mishap. "That is… What is this? What sort of contraption is this? A new invention from Myr?"

"The sailors said it's called a spyglass," Eddard said. "Robert had Grand Maester Pycelle have a look at it. While the Grand Maester is no expert in the crafts of Myr, he said it was far and above anything he'd seen of their make before."

"Then, it was crafted in this foreign land with the large tree?"

"Aye."

Robb saw the expectant look on his father's face. Suddenly, he realized he was being tested. He was not shown the spyglass and told of the letter's contents for nothing. There was more to this, something his father wanted him to understand. Robb thought on what he learned up until now, and then recalled his father's words, of the soldiers who flew banners.

"The sailors," he started, swallowing the lump in his throat. "Did they find out who ruled this foreign land, or to whom the soldiers swore their loyalty to?"

Eddard's slight smile was one of approval. "They claimed to serve Nepheli Loux, Lord of Limgrave and keeper of Stormveil Castle."

Robb frowned. "Forgive me, father, but I do not recall any noble house by the name of Loux."

"Nor do I," Eddard said. "Some in the small council believe the sailors are mummers making up fanciful tales, but Robert believes otherwise."

"That does not explain why he wishes for you to journey with him to these supposed lands."

His lord father sighed heavily. He gave another glance at the letter on his desk, his face in deep contemplation. After a moment of silence, he looked up at Robb. "The Lord Hand is ill." Robb's eyes widened. Before he could open his mouth to ask questions, Eddard raised his hand and stopped him. "He is not dying, but Grand Maester Pycelle believes he is not long for this world. It's hard to tell whether it's disease or old age, though I'm inclined to believe the latter. The chains of the Hand of the King bear as heavy a burden as the crown, and while Jon Arryn is a stalwart man of principle, he's as mortal as the rest of us."

"And old," Robb said thoughtlessly, cursing when he realized he spoke out of turn. "I mean, that is to say—!"

Eddard chuckled. "Peace, Robb. You are not wrong. Jon was old even when I fostered under him, and I doubt he's grown younger since I saw him last. Although he's been fulfilling his duties faithfully, Robert believes it may be time for him to step down. I am to help him convince Jon to resign from his post."

"And the voyage to this foreign land is to be your excuse? Surely, simply going to King's Landing would produce the same results."

"There's more to it than that," Eddard said. "Robert…" He paused as if thinking about what to say before sighing. Eddard seemed older than he was, as old as the portrait of Robb's grandfather, the late Rickard Stark. "Robert wants to discuss me replacing Jon as the Hand of the King…and discuss tying our houses together."

JON

Jon didn't remember how or when he fell asleep. By the day's end, he'd been so tired from chores and training in the yard with the guardsmen that he found himself retiring earlier than usual.

"The fallen leaves tell a story."

It was the same dream again.

A land was wreathed in flame, dark as night with a ghostly pale tinge. Everywhere he looked, he saw fire and corpses, bodies strewn across the grassy planes consumed by the flames. Some died impaled on spears and swords and left to rot. Amid the flames, he saw inhuman figures committing wanton slaughter with odd weapons designed to skin and flay rather than pierce and cut. They looked human, but their proportions were wrong. Some were tall and lanky while others were wide and fat, each thundering stomp sending ripples across their rolling pale and stitched flesh.

Only it was not flesh, but skin sewn into cloth. Jon's stomach churned in revulsion when he saw what looked like faces etched into the fabric, stretched, and formed into looks of utter anguish.

The only one not participating in the slaughter was a woman clad in elegant white robes. He could barely see her face beneath the white hood pulled over her head, only making out glimmering eyes of dusk and black hair cascading down past her chin and ending where her neck met her shoulders. In her hands was a bundle of cloth wrapped around a bulk of misshapen, writhing white flesh. Jon watched in disgusted fascination as the lump of meat writhed in the woman's arms, cradling it as if it were a child.

All the while, he heard the wailing cries of a babe, louder than even the cackling ghostly flames.

Jon shielded his face as a roar of flame exploded in front of him. Strangely, he felt no heat from the fire, only a soul-crushing cold that dug into his bones and sending chills down his spine.

The scene changed. Where before him once stood a grassy plain with a burnt towering tree now stood large, jagged mountains and a brick tower. The tower was crumbling apart, slowly falling into decay. The sky was burning, alight with a sickly yellow flame. The mere sight made the back of Jon's eyes burn in a way he never thought possible. It felt as if someone took a branding iron to the back of his eyeballs. A sharp pain erupted in the back of his skull, so intense and crippling he fell to his knees. He gritted his teeth, clenching them while trying to power through the agonizing pain.

A direwolf whimpered at his feet, its fur tinged in soot. It looked oddly familiar, yet for the life of him, Jon could not figure out why. It was weak, barely able to stand on its feet. As he reached to comfort the direwolf, Jon saw figure standing before the tower. He saw a tattered cloak swaying in the wind, hands stretched out in jubilation while looking up at the sky. As the tower finally crumbled into nothing, not even a pile of rubble, Jon heard whispers. Cries of joy, of freedom. Free from the pain of life, of suffering.

"May chaos take the world," they chorused. "May chaos take the world."

Jon clamped his hands over his ears, blocking out the voices.

The scene changed again. The pain vanished, almost as if it was never there at all. In its place was a dreadful cold sinking deep into his bones, his flesh feeling like ice. Around him was a field of snow, giant spikes of ice jutting up from the ground like spires. He found corpses, bodies laced with patches of ice. Some looked barely human, with pale skin and baleful eyes that glared at him with such dreadful hate. It was not hate born from personal grudges, but for the sake of living. The corpses despised him for having warm blood in his veins.

A thundering roar and booming cracks of lightning drew Jon's attention to the sky. Far above, he saw a creature that no longer existed in this world; a pair of dragons, soaring through the thundering sky, fighting some unseen foe. With each burst of thunder, Jon saw something amid the clouds.

The direwolf at his side growled, baring its fangs at the thing approaching. Jon forced himself to look forward. Through the cold mist obscuring most of his vision, he saw glowing blue eyes. Eyes that stared at him with the same cold, dead hatred as the corpses around him.

A gust of wind blew across Jon's face, forcing him to shut his eyes closed again. The gust became a gale. The bastard yelped, the wind throwing him on his back. As he opened his eyes, he found himself staring up at a glittering night sky filled with stars, shining far brighter than he knew possible. Among them was the moon tinged with a dark color. It was as mesmerizing as it was unsettling. Jon groaned, forcing himself to sit upright. There, he saw a sight that horrified him.

It was Winterfell, lying in ruin. The walls were no more than mere piles of rubble, the roads upended and ripped apart as if a giant knife from the heavens gouged the earth, and the keep torn down. The ghostly flames he saw before licked and ate away at the stonework.

The direwolf howled, both in rage and in mourning. Jon could only stare numbly at the sight, wanting desperately to belief this was no more than a terrible nightmare. He only barely registered the sight of a ghostly tree, similar to the towering burnt one in the foreign lands, standing ominously in the distance.

Suddenly, Jon saw him. A figure walking through the flames, clad in vile armor and a helm marked in ash. He saw a ghastly face emblazoned on the helm, a corpse with black eyes burning with the same ghostly fire that burned Winterfell to naught but ashes. In hand was a black sword wreathed in the same fire. The figure approached at a steady gate, not at all concerned by the direwolf, even as it snarled and growled and barked at him. When the figure continued to approach, the direwolf charged and leaped with its fangs bared.

Despite being the size of a man, the figure seized the direwolf by the throat, holding it aloft in the air as though it weighed nothing and plunged its flaming sword into its body.

Jon screamed in horror. "NO!" He leaped to his feet, drawing the sword from his hip and charging blindly at the armored monster as it callously threw the dead direwolf to the ground. Jon swung his sword, driven and fueled by rage. The figure batted it away easily, countering with a punch to the face that stunned him, long enough for the figure to kick him to the ground. He tried to get up, but found the flaming black sword driven into his chest. He gasped, feeling no pain. Instead, he found the same dreadful cold from before claiming him. The world bled away, turning into murky shadows.

As the world turned to shadows, as Jon felt his senses dull and numb, fading into nothing, he saw a scarred hand reaching for him. Weakly, he reached back, clasping and gripping the offered hand. The arm pulled, and Jon was pulled out from the darkness. The sky above was alight with shining stars and a familiar pale moon, its blue-tinged sibling sitting behind it like a shadow. Standing over Jon was a woman, her hair burnt black, her right eye milky gray, and her left a glowing gloam.

"Of the Promised Lord Without a Throne."

Chapter II
Hey everyone! SkyRig here, back with another new chapter of A Song of Moon and Gold, and I gotta say, interest and support for this story is freaking mind-boggling, as is the support I've been getting on patreon. Like, what the hell guys!

Speaking of shameless plug-ins, the patreon version is ahead by at least four chapters. If you're interesting in reading more or just want to help pay the bills, consider joining my patreon and maybe offer up some ideas or suggestions
HERE. And if you don't like patreon but enjoy my work, please consider checking out my Chase Ryder and the City of Lost Memories duology over on Amazon. I recommend the kindle version as it is the cheapest. Sadly. F*cking Amazon...

Anyway, with that shameless plug out of the way, here is the next chapter. Enjoy, and tell me what you think.

ROBERT

"What do you mean, I can't go with you?!"

Oh, for fuck's sake…

For the umpteenth time, Robert wondered why he didn't try harder to convince Ned to wear the crown. It would've made life so much easier for the both of them; Ned would be the king kids heard songs about and turn the Seven Kingdoms into paradise while he went off and lived like a Hedge Knight. They were all dreams and flights of fancy at the end of the day, mere daydreams of a much simpler life well out of reach. The reality was that King Robert Baratheon lived an unhappy, miserable life while trying and failing to live up to the standards others set for him.

There had been a time when he enjoyed the weight of his crown and the power it brought him. However, the taste of kingship was long sour, and Robert would give anything to be rid of it. It was an exercise in futility maintaining appearances, being a king the people could cheer for when in reality, Robert knew he was anything but. At the end of the day, he was a drunkard who could barely fit in his armor. Worst of all, no matter how much Robert loathed his flaws, he seemed incapable of correcting them. Oh, he tried several times, even having given that diet the old fop Pycelle recommended to him once upon a time, but the lessons never stuck.

Much as Robert disliked the Iron Throne and the crown that came with it, he was loathe to hand it off to another. Stannis seemed like the ideal choice, but the man was too rigid, too uptight and too much of a right fucking prat. Robert barely remembered the last time the two shared a civil conversation with each other that didn't involve the brothers glaring at one another or doors being slammed on their way out. Renly was…slightly better, but not by much. He was popular with the smallfolk and had a way with words, but there was the matter of his…interests. Oh, Renly thought he was being clever, but Robert had his youngest brother by the balls. It was only because Robert liked Renly slightly better than Stannis that he kept silent on the matter, though Renly's orientation was yet another reason why he couldn't hand him the crown and throne.

And as for Joffrey, his eldest son and the crown prince of the Seven Kingdoms… Well, suffice to say, there was not a chance in all the Hells that Robert would ever consider giving up the crown to his little shit. He hoped his son would take after him, but Joffrey was not at all like him. He was impulsive and quick to anger like his father, loathe as Robert was to admit it, but Joffrey had none of the discipline Jon hammered into his skull. Worse, the boy was utter shite when it came to matters of martial prowess. He could shoot a crossbow worth a damn, but when it came to swords, he had a piss arm and even worse desire for the battlefield.

Were that all Robert found unsatisfactory and unworthy of succession, Robert would have left it at that. But that was merely the tip of the iceberg. Something about Joffrey left Robert unsettled, the way his attitude rubbed him the wrong way. It did not help that Cersei coddled the boy, shielding him from lessons and the discipline that would've straightened his sorry ass out. The Kingslayer wasn't much help despite him and Selmy being Joffrey's personal instructors, having about as much success as the Red Keep's Master at Arms.

It wasn't just matters involving the sword, either; while Robert admitted he was a piss-poor student when it came to books, he would have been more lenient with his eldest son if he was bookish. Grand Maester Pycelle reported Joffrey rarely paid his lessons any mind, even questioning his tutelage at one point. Even Robert knew better than to mouth off at a scholar.

Between these factors and that fucking incident involving Tommen's pet cat, Robert knew he couldn't leave the kingdom in Joffrey's hands. The boy had all the makings of a second Aerys II Targaryen, and he'd be damned if he let another Mad King come into power. There were moments when he debated killing his son, addled and inebriated after one too many cups of wine, but that was a line few men dared to cross. And while Joffrey was an utter shit, he was still Robert's son.

"I won't say it again, boy." Robert glared at the crown prince, looking up from the letter on his desk. "This isn't an affair involving a whelp. Last I heard from Pycelle, you've fallen behind on your studies."

When the sailors returned with trinkets and wild tales, Robert thought them mummers until he saw what they brought with them. The spyglass was amazing, with Pycelle and Varys working several nights to discover its secrets and how it was made. That was not the only gift they brought. One of the weapons they brought with them was a blade of exotic design. It was the length of a regular sword, but the blade was half as wide with a slight curve and a circular hilt. They called it an "Uchigatana". The Kingslayer took the blade for a spin, testing its edge and weight in the training yard.

"It's surprisingly light," his goodbrother told him with a look of awe. Robert noted with amusement how he begrudgingly returned the sword and stared at it like a carnally driven man would stare at a freshly flowered maiden. "But it made small cuts in the armor and nicks in the swords out in the yard. I had a blacksmith take a look at it. As far as he can tell, the blade's made with a metal the likes he's not seen before."

A sturdy blade and a far-eye that could peer farther than even the best Myrish creations could. It went without saying how interested Robert and so many others were.

"But I'm a prince," Joffrey whined. "The next king! I should be going to this place too!"

Gods, was I this fucking entitled at his age?

Bittersweet memories of his parents flashed through his mind, and of the incident that claimed Steffon Baratheon's life. Another reminder of what the Targaryens took from him. Robert's face grew stormy, just barely keeping his anger in check. "Oh yes, a boy who can't swing a sword for shit, the prince of the seven kingdoms, going to a place we know absolutely nothing about. I'm sure you'll be able to defend yourself in case shit goes belly up." Robert took some pleasure in watching Joffrey's face twist into something resembling uncertainty. "I'm going because I'm your king, you foolish boy. We'd shame the whole realm to our mysterious neighbors if its lord wasn't there to speak with theirs."

Well, that, and he wanted to at least live out some of his old aspirations. It wasn't everyday one explored foreign lands.

Joffrey opened his mouth to protest, but he was thankfully silenced by a knock at the door. "Enter!" Robert shouted. The door opened to reveal the Kingslayer himself, Jaime Lannister. The king envied how fit his Kingsguard looked, still in the prime of his youth and reaping the benefits of his lineage whereas his gut grew every passing year. Oh, how he longed to fit in the armor he cherished so long ago!

"Pardon the interruption, Your Grace, Your Highness" Jaime bowed. "The Queen wants to see Joffrey."

Joffrey frowned. "What does mother want?"

"In regards to the possibility of your betrothal, I would think."

Robert repressed the urge to sigh, remembering how loud his wife had been when he broached the topic of marrying Joffrey off to one of Ned's girls. He never realized she could scream like that.

It'd been a personal dream of his, wanting to bind House Baratheon and House Stark. Ever since he became friends with Eddard Stark during their time under Job, Robert considered him the brother he never had. Stannis was too uptight, and Renly was…distant, if something of a prat on his good days. Ned resonated with him in a way he longed for. Oh, they had their spats in the past, but their friendship blossomed for it. When Robert learned he was to marry Ned's younger sister Lyanna, he'd been over the moon.

In the short time he came to know Lyanna, Robert knew he would love her. The girl was a spitfire if ever he saw one. She could be ladylike, but she was a Stark. Wolfsblood ran in her veins, and when her she-wolf bared its fangs… Ah, the sight of it made his heart flutter as if he was some hapless maiden in love.

And then fucking Rhaegar happened, Robert internally snarled, his fond memories turning sour at the mere thought of the dragon bastard who stole Lyanna from him and her family. Even now, he wasn't sure which pain was the worst; that the woman who enraptured him fell prey to a monster or that he barely had any time to know her.

When the rebellion came to an end and all loose ends tied up, save for the standing issue regarding the whereabouts of Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen's whereabouts, all that was left was to let time heal his wounds. Things between Robert and Ned became tense after a…disagreement regarding Princess Elia and her childrens' deaths, one that left a rift that Robert worked on mending. It had only been after the memory of Lyanna, after nearly twenty years, became an aching wound than a gaping scar that he decided to pursue binding their houses again, this time through their children.

Robert's plan was twofold; his personal interest of uniting Houses Baratheon and Stark, and to give House Stark clemency to the Iron Throne. He still believed Ned would make for a better ruler, and what little he knew of Northern culture told him those of the North had similar values. House Stark's long and proud history of noble kings and lord paramounts gave them no small amount of pedigree, and this very same prestige would quell any doubts the other Great Houses might have regarding a Stark being put on the throne. Of course, there wasn't any guarantee the children born from this potential union would be anything like Ned, but they were still a better alternative. Cersei may be his wife, but she was a Lannister.

And the lions will always look after themselves first and foremost.

There was one problem with this plan, Robert knew, and that was Joffrey. As his eldest child and heir, it was natural he would be paired with Ned's eldest daughter (Sansa, he remembers, Her name was Sansa). It wasn't an ideal choice, not with Joffrey's attitude, but it was the most logical and practical. The backup marriage, so to speak, was between his daughter Myrcella and Ned's eldest son. A small warm feeling bloomed in his chest, remembering how Ned named his firstborn son after him.

Robert personally wanted to go with the second choice of pairings, but there were traditions and expectations to uphold. Who knows, maybe this might work, Robert thought wryly. If that old hag and I can make marriage work, maybe Sansa and Joffrey can.

"We've already talked about me marrying that Stark girl," Joffrey huffed indignantly. "Admittedly, I don't fancy the idea of marrying a Northern woman, but I'm willing to give her a chance to prove me wrong. I fail to see why mother is so against this choice of pairing. You would think I was being wedded to a peasant!"

Jaime chuckled. "Mothers are overprotective of their children. She just wants what's best for you is all."

"Go see your mother," Robert ordered. "Seven knows she'll probably hunt you down and scream your ear off as she did mine."

Joffrey sighed, reluctantly obeying him and leaving the room. Robert sighed and slumped into his chair, running his hand through his greasy dark locks. "Fucking gods. Where did I go wrong with that boy…?"

"He's just at that age, Your Grace. I remember how rebellious I was when I was one-and-ten," Jaime said in jest. "Still…speaking personally as his uncle, I believe keeping him here is the right choice. We've no idea what sort of people we're dealing with, much as I would love to see what their soldiers are capable of."

"Spoken like a warrior," Robert snorted. Not that he was much better. After holding that Uchigatana, Robert wondered how skilled and deft one's sword arm must be to wield such a weapon and who could design it. "Did you come here only to grab your nephew?"

"Not quite. The Grand Maester told me to inform you about the Lord Hand's health."

Panic spiked through Robert's heart. He nearly sent his chair topping with how fast he sat up. "Is he…?"

"Sir Arryn still breathes, but Pycelle believes he has a year left, if the gods are generous."

Robert's heart sank. He knew Jon's health hadn't been the greatest; the man was seventy, itself a damned miracle in a profession where even the best knights died young. It was a miracle he was still alive and able to fulfill his duties, but he was old nonetheless. A meeting with the Stranger at such an age was long overdue, yet Robert could barely stomach the thought of losing the man he considered a second father to him. When Steffon died, it had been Jon to fill the hole his father inadvertently left behind. While Jon could not teach him to be a better lord, he taught him how to fight, and how to channel his anger in war.

He looked back at the letter on his desk. It was hardly important, merely a report on how things were progressing in regards to the upcoming trip to this mysterious foreign land. By now, Ned should have received his letter and prepared correspondence.

I know we haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things since the rebellion ended, but I need you here, Ned. Now more than ever.

SANSA

Winterfell was surprisingly active this time of year. Everywhere Sansa Stark looked, she saw people coming and going about their lives, many pushing carts and wagons full of sacks and wooden crates. Merchants beckoned travelers to inspect their wares, hawkers doing the bulk of their work in advertisement, and children laughing and rushing about, some diving headfirst in the small piles of hay littered about the muddy path leading into the heart of the town.

It had been a while since the last time Sansa came to Wintertown. The last time she'd been here was just after Bran's name day, when her mother took her to the local apothecary for purchase some tonics. The servants handled purchasing the tonics while her lady mother took her to a craftsman to procure a late gift for Bran. Sansa had bought him a gift, but she could not find it for some reason. She initially blamed Arya, her chief suspect when it came to missing belongings, but Bran's gift was hardly something her wild child of a younger sister would nick. In the end, she was unable to find her gift to Bran and promised to buy him a new one.

This visit was of a similar nature, though instead of the craftsman, they instead went to see the seamstress. Ordinarily, the seamstress would come to Winterfell personally when summoned either by Lord Stark or his wife Catelyn. The news of a potential betrothal with the Baratheons lit a fire under her mother's dress and forewent summoning the seamstress in favor of making a personal visit.

Sansa's mind danced with familiar fantasies she often dreamed of from her collection of novels. Never in her wildest dreams did she imagine she might be married to a prince, much less the prince. She couldn't get ahead of herself, of course. Right now, the discussion of arranged marriages was just that, a discussion. Nothing was set in stone. Yet even so, Sansa dearly wished her father and the king would settle the matter. Oh, how she imagined what sort of life she might live, both as the bride of a prince and her potential future as a queen of the seven kingdoms. Already, she imagined the sorts of parties she'd be invited to.

No offense to the ladies of the North, but Northern tea parties were dreadfully dull. Especially with the Greatjons. Not that she'd admit such a thing out loud. She wasn't Theon, for gods' sake.

"I don't wish to be rude, mother, but isn't this premature?" Sansa asked. "Father is still considering the king's proposal, is he not?"

"Perhaps," her mother admitted with a nod. "But it would not hurt to receive your measurements in advance, would it not? You are on the cusp of maidenhood, my dear. The sooner, the better." A smile danced across her face, gently leading her daughter down the road. "I remember how, when I was your age, I dreamed of wearing the finest dresses in all the realm. I never got to wear such dresses, but even now, I can still see it my mind's eye."

"Did you dance with a prince?"

"I danced with someone better. The love of my life. I never knew that man would be your father until after Robb was born, of course."

Sansa did not miss the brief moment of hurt flashing across her mother's face. She knew why she made such an expression. She was thinking about Jon.

Sansa's thoughts about her bastard half-brother were mixed. On the one hand, he was proof of her father's infidelity and weakness, the literal stain on his honor. On the other hand, Jon was by no means a horrible person. In fact, he was a gentleman who endured harsh words and jeers made at his expense, much less the frigid silence Catelyn subjected him to. He was kind and courteous, and the few times they interacted, he'd been nothing short of gentlemanly. Her mother still advised she keep Jon at arm's length, telling her she was better off not associating herself with him. She obeyed, believing her mother knew best.

Was it cruel of her? Perhaps it was, but it was not as if she deprived Jon of companionship. Arya and their brothers made up for her absence in his life and then some. Admittedly, it did hurt, knowing she was depriving herself the chance to get to know her half-brother better, but it was for the best. When they grew older, Sansa knew Jon would fly the coop in favor of greener pastures, strike out on his own. He certainly made no secret how much he wished to see more of the world, no matter how often their father told him his future was here in Winterfell.

Thinking about her lord father Eddard Stark, Sansa couldn't help but notice an odd disparity when it came to how he treated Jon. It was not that he treated Jon coldly and cruelly; if anything, she believed her father favored Jon over her trueborn brother Robb. By that same token, however, he seemed oddly adamant about keeping Jon in Winterfell. It reminded her of how her mother had been when she was but a babe, exploring the vast halls of Winterfell at the servants' expense.

It was not as though her father was embarrassed by Jon. No, there was something else afoot here, but Sansa did not know what it could be.

Oh great, now I sound like Arya.

The matter with the seamstress was a short affair, contrary to what she expected. Aside from having her measurements taken and some questions about what her dress would look like, time flew by quickly. When Sansa and Catelyn arrived in Wintertown, the sun was waning. By the time they left the seamstress' shop, it was beginning to fall below the horizon.

As they made their way back to Winterfell, Sansa stopped when she caught sight of something unusual. A merchant was sitting off the side of the road, his pack mule resting beside him with an array of goods spread out in a wool cloth. While the sight is nothing new, the merchant drew Sansa's curiosity. His garb was nothing she'd seen before; he was dressed mostly in red, with a tip-pointed cap atop his head and a mask drawn over the bottom half of his face. Atop his shoulders was a red-and-white mantle with a fur collar wrapped around his neck. The rest of his attire was plain, no more than a black shirt with muddy trousers and leather boots.

Between the cap and mask, she could only make out a wrinkly old face, sickly yellow eyes that seemed to glow like fading embers, and straw-like graying hair.

Sansa glanced at his wares, finding all sorts of trinkets and bobs and ends, one of which caught her eye. She quickly tugged on her lady mother's sleeve and pointed at the merchant. "Mother, would it be alright if I purchased something from him?"

"Are you sure? He doesn't seem familiar."

"Mother, please. We're in Wintertown. I doubt he'd try something brazen, especially with so many soldiers walking about."

Catelyn frowned, but she agreed nonetheless. Sansa smiled and thanked her before approaching the merchant, preparing her purse in advance. "Excuse me?"

The man looked up. For a moment, Sansa felt something in her chest writhe in discomfort as she stared at his eyes. They seemed wrong somehow, but she didn't understand why. Everything else about him seemed normal.

"Well, well…" The man's voice was raspy, wizened almost. He sounded as old as he looked. "A noble lady, come to peruse my wares. I rarely receive such customers. Regardless… What do you seek from my wares, my lady?"

Sansa collected herself, mentally berating her foolishness. "Yes, that wood statuette. How much does that cost?"

"Twenty halfpennies." Sansa beamed. It was surprisingly cheaper than she expected, but she was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. She dug into her purse and pulled out five pennies, dropping them into the man's waiting palm. He then handed the small wood statuette over to her. "Thank you, kindly."

"It is no problem, sir," Sansa replied before growing curious. "Forgive me for asking, but you seem unfamiliar. I know most of the shopkeepers and merchants here in Wintertown, but yours is a new face. Are you a traveler?"

"Aye, my lady. I am Kalé, a purveyor of fine goods. I am what you might call a nomad, wandering from place to place to sell my wares. As a matter of fact, I arrived in Westeros naught but a few weeks ago."

"Oh, are you from Essos?" Sansa asked out of curiosity, It was rare to receive visitors from the east.

Kalé chuckled. "Not quite. A little further south. In truth, where I am from makes no difference. Only where the winds take me. A question of curiosity, my lady, but I've heard the winters here in Westeros can last for several years. Is this true?"

"Oh, yes," she nodded strongly. "They last for a very long time, and it isn't unheard of for small hamlets to be buried in the snow."

"That must be quite difficult for you, both during the winter and spring when the snows melt," Kalé remarked. "Yours must be a hardy people."

Sansa smiled. "That is simply how we live in the North."

"Perhaps so."

"If that is all, sir Kalé, then please excuse me. I must be getting back to my lady mother."

As Sansa turned to leave, the merchant called out to her. "One moment, my lady." The girl turned around, finding the merchant digging through the pouch next to him. He pulled his arm out and held out his hand. Sansa gasped, seeing a beautiful braided bracelet dyed in vibrant colors, a mix of green, white, and blue with a beaded tassel. At the end of the tassel was an insignia she did not recognize. "A gift, as my last customer during my stay here in Wintertown."

"Are you sure?" Sansa asked, gingerly accepting the bracelet. Even in the dim sunlight, she saw how dazzling the beads glittered and shined. "I mean, I have enough coin to pay you."

"No need for that. I've made plenty of coin already. It's high time for me to move on anyways."

"Sansa!" Catelyn called out. "We are leaving!"

"Yes, mother!" Sansa quickly rushed back to her lady mother's side, shooting Kalé another grateful gesture before taking her leave. As they made their way back to Winterfell, Sansa looked at the small wood statuette she purchased. It was beautifully crafted, far above any craftsman's work she'd seen. The attention to detail was amazing, from the way the carver took great care to emulate the bushy fur of the horse's mane to the horns adorning its forehead.

"Bran will love this."

Braided Bracelet of Eochaid

A bracelet woven from plants dyed and soaked in waters found in Eochaid's most sacred rivers.

Increases faith and arcane.

These bracelets are given to revered women of high spiritual status, considered by many to be living saints. To wear a bracelet is to make a solemn vow, and to break this vow is to commit an unforgivable sin.

Chapter III
This chapter was supposed to have been up by last week, but stuff happened that prevented me from writing on my laptop. I'm currently working on the chapter meant for this week, and HOPEFULLY, I will have it hot and ready for you guys by the end of the week. Hopefully. Meanwhile, here I am, flabberghasted by all the support I've been getting on patreon. I dunno whether to ask if you guys are on crack or tear up. Like, seriously. You guys are awesome.

Speaking of shameless plug-ins, the patreon version is ahead by at least four chapters. If you're interesting in reading more or just want to help pay the bills, consider joining my patreon and maybe offer up some ideas or suggestions
HERE. And if you don't like patreon but enjoy my work, please consider checking out my Chase Ryder and the City of Lost Memories duology over on Amazon. I recommend the kindle version as it is the cheapest. Sadly. F*cking Amazon...

Anyway, with that shameless plug out of the way, here is the next chapter. Enjoy, and tell me what you think.

NED

It'd been four days since the letter from King's Landing arrived. Since then, Ned found himself visiting the family crypt more often than not.

"Times have changed, father… We have new neighbors. An unknown foreign land, south of Essos' shores."

Ned still had trouble wrapping his head around it. He could not understand how such a land could be hidden from them, even with the sailors' claims of the thick shroud of fog hiding it from prying eyes. Were it not for Robert's letter and the spyglass, he would call them mummers or bards with their heads in the clouds.

"His Grace…" The lord of Winterfell paused, furrowing his brow in thought. He spoke again, this time with a more uncertain tone. "Robert… He wants me to accompany him there. He also wants me to replace Jon Arryn as his Lord Hand, and bind our houses together. I wonder, would others accuse me of having Southern ambitions, like you did?"

While Rickard Stark was by no means a failing lord, he was not without his detractors. For as long as the North could remember, rarely did they intermingle with Southern houses for reasons beyond honor and love. When Rickard announced the marriage between his eldest son Brandon and Catelyn Tully, there'd been an uproar. It wouldn't be until during Robert's Rebellion that Ned understood his father's reasons for agreeing to the marriage, and years later when he came to sympathize with him. To be lord was to place the sake of the realm above that of yourself and those close to you. Being lord is to prioritize the realm above all else.

Not for the first time, Ned wished it was Brandon standing here and not him. He would have made a far better lord than he, perhaps even a better husband and father to Catelyn and their children. His sons and daughters would be Brandon's. And Jon would…

…well, there was no point dwelling on flights of fancy.

On the one hand, Ned understood the gains House Stark stood to obtain from this union. The Starks would have as much a claim to the Iron Throne as House Lannister, nevermind the influence the South could offer to the North during the winter season. On the other hand, that same union would bring him trouble. The North preferred to keep Southerners out of its affairs, though with good reason more often than not. He lost count how many times his father warned him of the deadly politics and court intrigue played by the Southerners, which they called "the game".

How many enemies would House Stark make by marrying into the royal family? Would the Lannisters take offense to the union? How many would try to take advantage of them? The more Ned pondered, the more concerned he became.

Another point of concern was the rumors he heard of the crown prince. Although Ned knew of the prince through word of mouth, there were few kind words to say about him. What he heard painted a grim picture, one for him and a worse one for Sansa. His eldest daughter, so very much like her lady mother some days, lived with her head in the clouds. She dreamed of fairy tales spoken of only in fables and old stories penned by sweet summer minds. While the idea of her marrying a prince sounded like a dream come true, Joffrey Baratheon did not sound like the "knight in shining armor" Sansa longed for in a husband.

Perhaps Robb and Myrcella would make for a better match, Ned thought before grimacing. It would be to protect Sansa, yet how much would the Lannisters view it as an insult, choosing their secondborn child over the crown prince? Oh, how I wish you were here, father, Brandon.

"…May gods old and new grant me the strength to see House Stark through this confusing storm," Ned said to the silent ghosts of the crypt. He turned and left, though not before catching sight of the figures who haunted his dreams.

And may I have the strength to continue keeping my promise.

"So, you will be leaving for King's Landing?" Catelyn asked shortly after breaking the news to his family. "Will you be succeeding Lord Aryn as the Hand of the King, then?"

"That is assuming Robert and I can convince Jon to stand down from his post," Ned replied, a wry smile making its way to his face. "I doubt old age has done little to his temperament. Once he makes a commitment, only the Stranger may stop him."

"And what of the marriage proposal?"

Ned chose his next words carefully, aware of the expectant look on his eldest daughter. "I am still considering the proposal. Marrying royalty is not something to be taken lightly. My aim is to have a better understanding of Prince Joffrey's character during my stay in King's Landing, to separate rumor from fact."

"I'm sure people exaggerate His Highness' character," Sansa said with a dreamy smile. "You shouldn't believe everything you hear, father."

"How long do you think you will be gone?" Robb inquired, no doubt wondering how this might impact his studies. "Will you return before the year's end?"

"That is my hope, at least."

"Can we come with you?"

"Bran!" Catelyn scolded her second born child. "Don't talk with your mouth full!"

Ned smiled slightly at the sight. It was always a joy to see his family gathered at the dinner table. His only wish was that Jon did not sit at the far end, distanced from his own blood. Speaking of his son, the boy wore a brooding look on his face, brow furrowed and his face crinkled deeply in thought. Dark circles sat below his eyes. Was he not sleeping well, perhaps? Mayhaps a new bed was needed.

"You're still young, Bran. Trips across the sea always carry risks, nevermind that we are to visit a foreign land unknown to us." He paused, then turned his attention to his eldest. "That said… Robb, do you wish to come with?"

Robb blinked in surprise. "Can I?"

Ned didn't want to bring his son with him, but this was a rare opportunity. It would do Robb well to expand his horizons. It would be a good learning experience as well, to understand the dangers lurking in the South's shadows and the viper's nest that was King's Landing. As a father, he didn't want to expose his son to that kind of danger, least of take him to a place they know nothing about, but his duties as a lord came first. It was a lord's duty to teach his successor how to rule, and to offer him guidance whenever possible.

As he expected, Catelyn didn't look happy about the offer. This was the first time he brought it up, so it was natural she and their children would be caught by surprise. Arya seemed the most offended by the offer, no doubt driven by her curiosity and wanderlust. Of his children, she was the most wolfblooded of them all. Some days, she acted as if she were Lyanna Stark reborn, a thought that brought him shame and grief. A reminder of his failure.

"Is that wise, Ned?" Catelyn questioned him. "As you said, this will be a dangerous trip. Robb is but four-and-ten."

"It's fine, mother," Robb said, resolve quickly flashing in his eyes. "If you believe I'm ready for this undertaking father, I would be happy to accompany you."

Sansa sighed. "It's not fair you get to go to King's Landing. You must bring back souvenirs when you and father return!"

"I doubt they can match that statuette you got Bran, but I'll try my best."

"Speaking of that, where did you get it?" Bran asked curiously. "It's so well-made, and I've never heard of a horse with horns before."

"I bought it off a wandering merchant by the name of Kalé," Sansa explained. "He's a rather interesting fellow. I've never met someone with an accent like his. He said he's from a land south of here."

Ned narrowed his eyes upon hearing this. Perhaps it was simply the night wearing on him and the upcoming expedition to foreign lands weighing heavily on his mind, but he could not help but feel suspicious, more so of Sansa's words.

A stranger from lands to the south… No, there would have been word of a foreign ship landing on our shores.

He would have to look into this when he returned.

When dinner reached its end and the Stark household went to retire for the evening, Ned caught sight of Jon and Robb making their way to their chambers. He remembered the look on his child's face, the dark rings beneath his eyes and the troubled glare he sported.

"Jon," he called out, stopping both boys in their tracks. "Is something the matter?"

"I'm unsure of what you mean, father."

"You look like you've barely slept."

For some reason, Jon was reluctant. He stared at the floor, his eyes reflecting conflicting emotions. Robb looked at his half-brother in concern before turning to their father. "Jon has been having strange dreams lately," he said, causing Jon to look up and stare at Robb in betrayal. Ned furrowed his brow. "The same dream for the last few nights."

"It's nothing," Jon insisted. "I'm sure they mean nothing."

Ned frowned. "What sorts of dreams?" he asked. His sons stiffened at his tone, for he spoke not as their father, but as Lord Paramount and patriarch of their house.

In the face of his lord, Jon could do nothing but reveal the nature of his dreams. Certainly, they sounded odd and worrisome, particularly the sight of Winterfell being burned to the ground at the hands of an unknown warrior, but the part that made his hairs stand on end was when Jon spoke of a snow battlefield, of dragons taking flight into the air to combat an unknown foe, and living corpses glaring hatefully at him. An old tale from the North's history, of the age of First Men, came to mind. The Long Night and the White Walkers, the wights beckoned by the Others with a deep hate for any with warm blood in their veins.

The first thought that sprung to Ned's mind was that Jon was a greenseer and his dreams were prophecy. The thought terrified him down to his very core and brought a cold chill down his spine. The dreams did not make sense, but greendreams were said to be mysterious and understandable only to the dreamer. The problem inherent, however, was that greenseers haven't been seen in Westeros since the Andals arrived. The Targaryens could be considered greenseers themselves, but records claimed that dragon dreams were more cryptic and often misleading, moreso than even the most confounding greendream.

Therein laid the problem. If Jon was a greenseer, what did the dream mean? What sorts of trials and tribulations awaited them? When would these events occur, if at all?

"You must think me crazy."

Ned gently squeezed Jon's shoulders, looking his son in the eye. "I know you well, Jon. Whether these are indeed greendreams, I cannot say. In any case, I would be a fool to dismiss them as mere fanciful dreams born from hearing Old Nan's stories so often."

His words did little to reassure his sons. Robb looked at his father expectantly. "What can we do?"

"The only thing we can do, Robb. Prepare, wait, and hope."

ROBB

"So, you'll be leaving with Lord Stark to some new land?" Theon asked as they traded blows. He parried and overhead swing and stepped closer to his left side, sneaking his foot around his ankle in an attempt to trip him. He held his ground and pushed back with his shoulder, forcing the squid to stumble and raise his blade in defense when he countered with a riposte. "Must be exciting to finally stretch your sea legs for once!"

"Says the squid who's forgotten how to swim!" Robb retorted, his wolfsblood growling in his ears. To his mild frustration, Theon laughed at his attempt to rile him up.

As usual, the Stark and Greyjoy heirs were in the midst of their early morning routine. Jon elected not to join them in favor of getting a head start on his chores. The sparring session did good for Robb as it helped to forget the doubt and anxiety gnawing at his mind. His conversation with his father last night was fresh, as was the trepidation of the upcoming expedition.

He understood why his father wanted him to join him on the voyage. Just as he said, it would be a good learning experience, though it was a journey into the unknown. Like his father, Robb dread what sort of dangers awaited them. There was also the matter of Jon's dreams to consider as well, regardless how his half-brother might dismiss them as fever dreams or some other sort. It was an ill-omen, and the image of Winterfell falling to ruin and assailed by ghostly flames did little to ease his worries. A thought came to him when he retired to his chambers. What if Jon's dream was prophecy, a warning of what could happen while they were away?

Robb shared this dreadful thought with his father and thankfully understood his worries. Fortifications and guard placement in Winterfell would be strengthened when they left for King's Landing, and ravens would be sent to neighboring lords to keep an eye out of suspicious activity. His lady mother Catelyn and Sir Rodrik would be in charge of Winterfell while they were away. It was not a perfect solution, but it was the best they could hope for.

That was all Robb could do. Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Theon pivoted on his heel, dodging a downward slash and countering with an upward swing. Robb pulled his head back, feeling the cold wind rush across his face along the swing. Without losing momentum, he snapped his head forward and brought down on Theon's skull, causing him to yelp and stumble. He pushed forward, smashing his shoulder and knocking him to the ground. Robb was on him in moments, pinning him to the ground and aiming his blunted sword at his neck.

"Yield."

The squid glared up at him, teeth gnashed in preparation for an insult that never left his lips. Theon let go of his sword. Robb felt his blood cool and removed himself from his friend. He offered a helping hand, but Theon batted it away. "I'm not some hapless maiden, Stark," he bit out as he climbed back up to his feet and picked up his sword. "Vicious this morning, are you? That worried about falling overboard?"

"More like what will happen while we are away."

"I tell you, you worry too much. Jon's dreams are fanciful and full of doom and gloom, but that's it. Perhaps it's a sign your mother is finally wearing him down."

Robb frowned, finding the reminder unpleasant.

It was no secret how his lady mother viewed Jon, a bastard child born from his lord father's loins and an unknown woman. Mercifully, his mother never raised a hand in violence or spoke harsh words in public, but her cold silence was more than enough. On more than one occasion Robb tried and failed to get his mother to see reason, to look past Jon's status and see him as his own person. His words landed on deaf ears each and every time. Worse, his mother's attitude rubbed off on Sansa, though thankfully his sister chose to interact and speak with Jon whenever given the chance, even if she did keep her distance.

Robb knew Theon said the words in jest, but he found them unpleasant all the same. Before he could reprimand him, he saw Rodrik approaching them with a stern look. The two straightened themselves out and stood at attention.

"Sir Rodrik," Robb said respectfully.

"At ease, boy." The two relaxed, if only barely. The iron-clad look on the master-at-arms' face had yet to fade. "Is Jon not with you this morning?"

"He went to fulfill his chores. Is something the matter?"

"Nothing you need concern yourself with," Rodrick assured him. "Lord Stark is making adjustments to the guards rotation for when the two of you leave for King's Landing. He doesn't want to leave anything to chance."

"No offense to Lord Stark, but is he really expecting some daft oaf to try and attack Winterfell?" Theon asked skeptically. "You'd have to be a damn fool to attack this place."

Robb repressed the urge to smile. While Theon might bemoan having to live with the Starks, even he found no fault in the castle or its defenses. Even as far back as their days as kings, the Starks and Winterfell stood amidst the harsh winds of winter and any who dared assail its walls. The scars and renovations throughout the years were a testament to its might and longevity.

"A keep is only as good as the swordhands that defend it, and I'll be damned if any of the whelps here be found lacking," Rodrik spat. "And its better not to leave things to chance. This business with a foreign land has Lord Stark spooked, and the other houses see blood in the water."

"You mean the Karstarks."

It was no secret that there were hints of rivalry between the two Houses. Among the Northern houses, the Karstarks proudly wore their status as House Stark's closest kin as its cadet branch. Intermarriage between the two was frequent to the point of expected, though in recent years, relations between them steadily soured. Some fearmongers believed they would attempt to usurp House Stark as their dead cousin cadet branch House Greystark had in the past, though Robb's father dismissed such rumors during a feast with Rickard Karstark in attendance, though it had not escaped Robb's notice how bitter the man looked during the feast.

He believed his father in that there were no plans of rebellion, but that did not mean the Karstarks wouldn't try something.

"Aye, and the Boltons," Sir Rodrik nodded. "Though Lord Stark has a plan in mind to keep Roose in line."

"Oh, he'll be none too happy 'bout that, I suspect," Theon chortled before turning to Robb. "You know, it'll be boring without havin' you around. Gods know Jon'll likely be miserable, even if he's got Arya and the others."

"Just don't corrupt my brother, will you?" Robb japed. "Last thing I need is to hear how you've roped him into one of your schemes. Isn't the blacksmith still wroth with you for bedding his daughter?"

"And I'll tell you what I've told everyone. She. Seduced. Me."

"Theon, the day a lady willingly spreads her legs for you without the promise of coin is the day I retire as master-at-arms." The squid sputtered and stared at a smirking Rodrik before glaring at Robb, who did nothing to withhold his laughter.

After two weeks of preparation, the day of departure arrived. A hundred men gathered at the southern gate with their lord and his family. Robb stood next to his father as they exchanged goodbyes, his stomach and heart tied in knots.

"I don't want you to go!" Bran sniffled and cried with Rickon, the youngest of the Stark sons clutching at his tunic and burying their snotty faces in his waist. Their father smiled, ruffling their hair and kneeling to embrace them properly.

Their mother approached, her expression one of longing and dismay. Ned rose to his feet and embraced her. They stayed like that for a long while before reluctantly parting. "Return home safely, my love," she begged. "I refuse to let our children grow up without their lord father."

"It is not a promise I may keep, but it will be one I endeavor to fulfill all the same, Cat."

Arya and Jon came up to Robb. In comparison to the rest of their siblings, they were remarkably composed, though no less saddened to see them go. Looking at his younger sister, Robb saw how she struggled to keep her face stiff and composed. Jon's countenance was somber, though such an expression was almost common for him. The realization he would not see them for some time made the knots in his chest tighter.

He pulled the two into his arms. "I'll come back," he swore. It was not a promise like the one his father made to his mother. It was a solemn vow.

"You better," Arya hiccuped.

Almost reluctantly, the three siblings parted. Robb saw his father looking at him expectantly and nodded. It was time to leave. He turned and was about to make for the wheelhouse when Jon stopped him, grabbing his sleeve.

"Jon?"

"A gift," his half-brother said, holding out a dagger nestled in black leather. Robb took it, unfastening the strap keeping the knife sheathed. It was beautifully crafted, unbloodied and steel polished with a shining gleam. The metal reminded him more of a mirror with how clear his reflection was. "Hopefully, you won't have to use it."

"With any luck," Robb agreed. "Thank you, brother."

Jon smiled.

It was that expression Robb wanted to protect, more than anything.

Mirror Dagger

A beautifully crafted dagger from a foreign land, lost to the fog of antiquity. Although ceremonial, it is sharper than an ordinary dagger.

Although its homeland has since been lost to history, an old superstition haunts the mirror dagger. To bloody its pristine shine is to condemn oneself to a life of conflict, with no hope of reprieve.

Chapter IV
Don't ask me how, but I managed to get this week's chapter up on patreon. I don't really get WHY I suddenly became motivated, but whatever, I'll take what I can get. Also happy to see that people are enjoying this story, be it on SV, AO3, and on patreon itself. I'm in the middle of debating whether to make an account over on SB so I can post it there (and for Stranger to stop bitching at me for being so lazy and make the damn account already), but I digress.

JAIME

Jaime slipped out the door with a practiced smile, garbed in a different set of clothes than he wore hours ago under his white cloak and armor. No one would notice the difference unless they looked closely. He stood attentively by the door as he closed it shut, making it look as if he were standing guard. In a way, he was. He was there to ensure no one would disturb Queen Cersei as she got dressed. As far as their usual trysts went, making love in one of the empty spare rooms was least exciting than, say, the royal bedroom, but no less risky than anywhere else in the Red Keep. It would be disastrous if they were caught in the act, but the possibility of being found out riled Jaime more than he cared to admit.

Not that Cersei complained, not with how she was screaming his name.

A shame we won't be able to do this until we return from our voyage to that strange land the sailors won't shut up about, the kingslayer thought.

It was decided ages ago that Jaime and at least two other members of the Kingsguard would accompany Robert when they and representatives of Houses Baratheon, Lannister, Stark, Tully, Arryn, Martell, and Tyrell sailed to a land unknown to them. Like many, he thought the sailors were mummers until they showed off the trinkets they brought with them. The memory of the Uchigatana and its weight in his hands wrought shivers down his spine. He could not help but wonder what sort of craftsmen could design such a beautiful weapon or what sorts of warriors could wield them.

When the small council and king finally recognized the foreign land as truth than a mummer's tale, there'd been a week-long debate as to how they would deal with their new southern neighbors as well as arguments and questions as to how in the Hells they remained hidden from Westeros and the rest of the known world for so long. Cartographers, map makers, and anyone with extensive knowledge of the seas were brought before the court to answer their questions, and to their dismay, they had very little.

They did not know where the foreign land was beyond the sailor's accounts, but an educated guess placed them between Lys, Volantis, and the Summer Islands. Maesters spent countless nights going over the oldest maps in their archives, requesting maps from Essos and even Dorne, who's relationship with the Iron Throne had not been the best since Robert's Rebellion. Not that Jaime blamed them, not after what happened with Princess Elia and her children. There were many others who thought the same, though they wouldn't dare speak such thoughts aloud, and especially not in front of the king. To say Robert Baratheon despised House Targarten in its entirety was like saying a dragon breathed fire.

Half the small council wanted to ignore their new southeastern neighbor and sweep it all under the rug, the other half wanted to open up and establish relations and trade routes, and the minority wanted nothing to do with them. Jaime was part of the second camp, if only to see what sorts of warriors this new land cultivated. Robert sided with the second camp as well. What's more, it was a decision made without the counsel of the Lord Hand, a rare feat in of itself given how the Lord Hand was all but the true power in the Iron Throne. It was both enviable and pitiable how an old man so close to his death bed was the sole person in all of Westeros capable of calming and reigning in the king.

Jon Arryn was a rare breed, and someone Jaime had decent respect for. The man was traditional, but he had a good head on his shoulders and was not so arrogant to believe he could do everything by himself. On days he coughed up blood, Jon asked for assistance, either from the Grand Maester or to another member of the small council willing to reciprocate, Stannis being the most frequent. It also helped that he was one of the people in the Red Keep who didn't use Jaime's moniker like it was a fool's crown. He treated Jaime respectfully as a fellow peer, though he could tell the man was wary of him.

All because he broke his oath and killed the Mad King.

A sardonic smile formed across his lips, remembering the moment. Nearly twenty years later, and he could still vividly recall it as though it happened yesterday. How Aerys II Targaryen died a miserable sobbing wreck on his throne, his blood staining his white robes.

He should have been hailed a hero, yet people looked upon him with scorn. What would they say if they knew the truth? What would they say if he told them what the king intended? Would they look upon him with awe, then?

Of course they won't, the treacherous voice purred in his ear. They don't give a shit about knighthood or chivalry anymore.

"Shut up."

"Did you say something, Jaime?"

The kingslayer's façade faltered for a brief moment. Before Cersei could see it, he slipped on the same smile he knew she adored. "It's nothing. Pay it no mind, sister."

"Are you sure? You seem troubled," Cersei pointed out with a frown. "Are you worried about the upcoming voyage? I can try and convince Robert to send somebody else. Seven knows Joffrey needs his uncle to look after him when his own father won't."

Jaime wisely bit his tongue and kept his thoughts about his son to himself. He loved Joffrey, he truly did, but even he could not defend the boy. There was something wrong with him. He took too much after Cersei, and in all the wrong ways. When Cersei could be smart when she put her mind to it, Joffrey was as blunt as a hammer and with a mouth as foul as the sewers down by Flea Bottom. He didn't have a swordsman's arm, though that was the least disappointing thing about Joffrey. What really rankled Jaime was how he treated his younger siblings. Myrcella was the sweetest little girl to ever grace King's Landing since her birth, and Tommen was a bright-eyed child with a keen mind. They did nothing wrong, yet Joffrey found enjoyment in mocking and yelling at them.

Jaime couldn't understand it. Why would Joffrey act so demeaning? What was wrong with him? Why was he so…different?

The treacherous voice cackled. Perhaps he's too much like his daddy.

Jaime dug his fingers into the palms of his hands, nails digging through the leather gloves.

Cersei left for the gardens to spend time with her daughter. Jaime would have joined her were it not for his duties as Kingsguard. He joined Robert at his small council, expecting to find the Masters and Grand Maester. With the exception of Stannis, all were in attendance, though there were two unexpected faces among the council.

"Long time no see, Jaime," Tyrion Lannister smiled, either oblivious or reveling in the sheer hateful loathing he was getting from their lord father. "Did you get shorter while I was away?"

"Tyrion?" Jaime started in surprise. "Father? What are you doing here? I would have thought you'd come to King's Landing when it was time for the voyage."

The years were somewhat kind to his lord father. Tywin Lannister was five-and-five, yet his countenance was that of a young, fiery lord ready for the battle that was politics. As always, his expression was taught and grim, eyes narrowed as if burrowed in thought, always judging those around him. By contrast, Jaime's imp of a little brother changed very little since he saw him last. His grin was wide, and his eyes twinkled with promises of mischief. No doubt the little bastard was plotting a trip to one of Littlefinger's whorehouses once the meeting was over or thinking up some dastardly plot to annoy their father.

In the years following Robert's Rebellion, Tywin occupied himself at Casterly Rock when duty did not demand he go to King's Landing. Most of those visits were attempts at convincing Jaime to relinquish his white cloak and return it to the king, renounce his oaths to the Crown, and take his "rightful place" as heir of House Lannister. Jaime lost count how many times he told his father he would not break his oaths, no matter how much he loathed Robert Baratheon.

Jaime's first thought was that this visit would be yet another attempt to convince him to leave his post, though he banished it when he saw Tyrion. The fact that his father bothered to bring him along meant this was pure business.

"That was my intention," Tywin replied with the same tone as someone saying the sky was blue. "Until I learned this oaf of a king did not bother to inform me he intends to wed my grandson to a Northern savage."

Robert bared his teeth at the golden lion. "Watch your fucking tone, Lannister. Ned is a good man, far better than any of the fucking lot here in King's Landing."

"That does not change the fact you would wed Joffrey, the prince, to a Northwoman," Tywin scoffed. "I've dealt with the North before, Robert. Mark my words, your plan is doomed to fail."

"Be that as it may, I'm your king, Lannister," the king retorted. "If that's all you came to talk about…"

Tywin's face grew sour as if he bit into something highly unpleasant, all while glaring at Tyrion. "Not quite. Due to some certain…circumstances back home, I will be having Tyrion accompany for the voyage."

Jaime blinked at that. It was no secret how much his father loathed and despised his youngest son, blaming him for his wife's death. The only reason he hadn't killed Tyrion was because, despite his deformities, he was a Lannister. There were many lows Jaime knew his father would stoop to, but kinslaying was too far beyond the pale, even for a man like Tywin Lannister. As such, Tywin wanted little to nothing to do with his youngest son and left him to his own devices.

What in the world happened at Casterly Rock for father to decide to bring Tyrion?

Curious as Jaime was, he knew better than to ask such questions while they had an audience. Idly, he noted that Cersei would likely be in a foul mood once she learned of their brother's presence; unlike their lord father, his twin had no compulsion to keep silent on how much she disdained him, though Jaime suspected her reasons had less to do with mother and more because she found his existence repungent.

As for Jaime, he…

Do you really have any right to call him brother, after you lied? When you stood by and did nothing?

Jaime barely found the strength to hide his snarl.

"An odd chance," Robert commented, eyeing Tyrion curiously. "Yet truth be told, I've been curious to speak with the so-called imp for some time now. I must confess, I am disappointed. I heard you had horns and a tail."

"The horns had to be filed down," Tyrion replied smoothly. "Sadly, my lord father here demanded my tail be cut off so as to not trip the servants in the halls."

Robert stared at Tyrion for a moment before he threw his back in laughter. Tywin scowled in silence, his expression making it clear he would have words with his youngest son behind closed doors.

Oh, great, Jaime thought morosely. Tyrion's gone and endeared himself to the king. As if I need more of a headache.

There was no doubt on his mind that when Cersei learned of this, she would be howling his ear off and demanding that their father take Tyrion away. Or perhaps she would secretly pray to the Seven-Who-Are-One that Tyrion would fall overboard during the voyage.

Either way, he wasn't looking forward to it.

EURON

When he was young, Euron Greyjoy, dreamed he could fly. For an Ironborn of purest blood to dream such a thing was worthy only of the cruelest mockery from his brothers, though Euron paid little heed to their taunts. The dreams were fascinating as they were liberating. There'd been a time in his youth when he wanted naught but to be free of the name "Greyjoy" and experience the world in its entirety. Alas, such dreams were but the dreams of a naïve summer child, and such dreams were better left forgotten.

As an accomplished man if ill-repute across the known world, Euron could not help but make the same mocking taunts his brothers made of him in the past toward his foolish self all those years ago. Having seen the world and cultivated in the embrace of his fellow squid, Euron came to realize he did not want freedom. He wanted what everyone else wanted. What they crave and desired with all their hearts. Wealth and power. The strength to accomplish their heart's desire. Euron was doing just that, amassing a loyal crew and scouring the seas in search of plunder and knowledge. Some among the Silence tore their tongues of their free will in a show of allegiance, whereas others had to be…convinced. They came around with time, as others would.

Like his brother Balon, Euron possessed ambition. His was a grand dream, one that went beyond the Seastone Chair. He desired more. For the sake of such ambitions, Euron sought to break free from Balon and that fat Greenlander king's edicts. There were plenty of ways he could have left the Ironborn Islands; impregnating Victarian's salt wife was one of those methods, and perhaps something he took great pleasure in doing. Even at his age, he never forgot the insult from their younger years and sought to repay those insults tenfold. What better way to do so than to plant his child in Victarian's favorite whore and make him kill her to preserve his honor?

His travels paid off for the most part. He gleamed a great deal of wealth and information, be it of the lost mystical ways of the Age of Heroes or the whispers of politics. He even managed to pilfer himself a dragon's egg, though whether it was such a prize, he had no idea. Not even a Myr and his furnace could hatch it. If nothing else, it would fetch a high price the next time he wandered to Essos in search of his "dragon". Rumor was the fallen heirs of House Targaryen were somewhere in Essos, with the disgraced crown prince forced to be a beggar asking for pitiful scraps. The sheer irony nearly made him smile. It was not Viserys Targaryen he sought to claim, however; no, it was his sister, little Daenerys Targaryen, he wanted.

A kraken's seed and a dragon's womb…what sort of prince might be born from such a union?

The thought would have made him smile…if not for his current predicament.

Euron Greyjoy looked out the window of his holdings, seeing clear black skies and a glowing moon sitting among its lesser lights. It'd been some time since he was captured. When last he looked out the window, the sky was blue and cloudy. How long had it been since then? A few hours? A day? He did not know, and it irked him.

The silver lining was that he was left to stew in silence. Save for the crashing waves against the hull, there was remarkably little noise. His captors left him little to free himself with as his holdings were remarkably barren. There was no iron to cage him, but instead a door made of steel. Beyond it were two men, garbed in clothes he had never seen before. He would have thought them Greenlanders, if not for their vessel.

As a trueborn squid of iron and a man of the seas, Euron took great pride in the Silence. It was a fine ship, one worthy of a man who would one day rule the world, and yet he was forced to admit defeat when faced with a ship dwarfing his prized vessel. It was far larger than any ship he'd seen, with a craftsmanship rivaling even the best shipmakers in the isles. Curious still was how its crew spoke in a foreign tongue, neither Old Westerosi, Essosi, or even Valyrian.

Some of his crew was killed during the raid. Those who were spared were taken aboard the ship and separated. Where they were, Euron did not know. Perhaps they were being tortured or interrogated, for all the good it would do them. What sorts of faces did they make when they discovered those who sailed under him were stripped of their tongues?

Euron thought back to the raid. Like any self-respecting man, he loathed loss and would seek retribution for defeat, yet in this instance, he could not help but view his capture as a most interesting learning experience. The people aboard the ship fought in a way he didn't think possible. They fought with swords and bows, but their blades were of foreign make like themselves. He initially wrote off their armor, noting how flimsy it appeared, yet his doubts were disproven when he saw how well their armor held up to tested steel. If anything, it was the crew of the Silence who fared poorly. The strength of their weapons and swordplay saw them bested within minutes.

One warrior in particular stuck out in his mind. A female warrior was a rare sight, and while most may dismiss them, Euron was most wary of these sorts of warriors. The woman fought as if she were the greenlander's Stranger. Not a single blade reached her, and every stroke of her blade drew blood. The sight was captivating as it was terrifying. The memory chilled his blood and made his heart soar.

What manner of woman was she, to make a kraken feel like a summer maiden?

The stillness of the night was disturbed when Euron heard footsteps from outside his holdings. He looked at the door, wondering who would be visiting him at such a late hour. He heard the foreign tongue again, this time from a woman's voice. The metal door opened, and Euron smiled.

It was the woman who bested him and his crew.

No longer in the heat of battle, Euron took a moment to properly appreciate her beauty. Her skin was pale, nearly the color of Westeros' northern snowfields, and unblemished as if she were a newborn maiden. Her hair was a solid black, vaguely reminiscent of the Baratheons' hair, but with piercing yellow eyes and slitted pupils; not those of a cat, but a fearsome beast born to rend men asunder and cook their flesh. She did not wear the strange armor of her fellows, but instead the garb of a proper seafarer; a plain tunic and black trousers with a red sash tied around her waist. At her side was that curious blade of hers, neatly tucked away in its sheathe.

The two captains studied each other, locking eyes and waging an unseen battle. The woman's stare was glacial as it was passionate, for behind her stare, he saw her desire to cut him down. Euron, meanwhile, maintained his smile and composure, lazily lounging about in the sole wooden seat provided for him in his apparent cell.

"…I've heard tale of you, Crow's Eye." Euron blinked in pleasant surprise. The woman spoke in Old Westerosi, rather fluently he might add, but with an accent he could not place. "Men quiver in fear when they see your black sails. Few are spared from your wroth, and those that are either plead for death or have their tongues silenced."

"My reputation precedes me," Euron chuckled. "Forgive me, but you have me at a disadvantage. You know me, but I don't know you. If these are to be my last moments, I would like to know the name of the woman who will kill me."

"In the Land of Reeds, I was named Kuroshi."

The Land of Reeds, Euron thought. I've never heard of such a place before.

Euron heard tale of a foreign land south of Essos' shores, undiscovered until a wayward ship found its way there. Representatives from the Free Cities all ventured there in pursuit of answers and trade, and word was it that the Greenlander king planned a voyage to form a rapport, in a show of good faith and cooperation. His spies in the isles reported that Balon was interested in testing these newcomers, even expressing some glee at the prospect of pillaging its lands in the name of plunder. If this Land of Reeds was indeed the same land, and not someplace further east, then Euron could only pray to the Drowned God his brother died a painful and undignified death.

Or for him to fall upon their blades. Whichever came first.

"I am not here to kill you, Lord Greyjoy. If I were, we would not be speaking."

"Then what brings you here, my lady?"

Kuroshi did not respond verbally. Instead, she dug into the patchwork satchel affixed to her sash and pulled out a familiar object. Euron recognized it immediately, simply based on the pattern of the shell. It was the dragon egg he pilfered, only it was no longer whole. No, it had been cracked apart, leaving only half of its shell. Having gone great lengths to claim such a prize, Euron should have felt annoyed or even outraged she destroyed such a valuable treasure. His irritation was halted when he took notice of the state of the ruined shell, how it seemed to have cracked apart from within. The edges of the shell were tinged with soot and burns.

"You will answer truthfully," Kuroshi said. "Or I shall drench the deck of Kusabimaru with your blood."

She leaned forward. Belatedly, Euron realized with excitement what eyes she had.

They were not the eyes of a man.

"How did you claim a drake's egg?"

They were the eyes of a dragon.

Chapter V
This chapter was meant to be out on Sunday, but my internet refused to cooperate. At first I thought it was a problem with my computer, but no, it was just my router and range extender being stupid pieces of crap. I swear, this happens at least once every few months, and it never stops being annoying. On a side note, I'm working on getting a second chapter out to you guys this week, if only so I can hit the ten chapter length milestone. It's amazing how far along this story is coming as is the support I get. Like, holy shit man.

DAENERYS

In another lifetime, Daenerys Targaryen would have lived like a queen. She dreamed of it often, envisioning the Red Keep that was the Targaryen dynasty's home and of its grandeur, of the many servants at their beck and call, of the knights ready to fulfill their liege's orders, of her father seated on the Irone Throne holding court, of her mother sitting beside him with her children in tow. She dreamed how beautiful, how simple life would have been.

These dreams were her only escape from the unfair reality she lived in.

Danny, a poor girl of three-and-ten, wore tattered rags fit for the lowest of smallfolk and lived in a hovel unfit for any royalty, much less a noble. They had little in the way of belongings, and fewer still in coin. It was not long ago that her brother, the rightful Crown Prince Viserys Targaryen, sold away the last of their possessions; their mother's own crown, the sign and symbol of the queen of the seven kingdom's authority. To have given up the last of his belongings, the last of their mementos of their family, turned her brother into a wrothful man, liable to lash out at the drop of a hat. "Don't wake the dragon," he warned her in his foul moods, which were becoming increasingly frequent as the days went on.

There was a time when he was a kinder man, a boy who pulled her into bed when she could not fall asleep. She remembered the smiling face of her dear brother as he told her stories of Westeros, of the home they'd lost in Robert's Rebellion near twenty years ago.

Now, her brother told no more stories. Now, he spoke of how he would reclaim his birthright.

In truth, Danny didn't believe Viserys would reclaim his birthright. Such was the hopelessness of their situation. Scarce of coin, living off scraps and disgraceful begging that would surely see their ancestors rolling in their tombs… This was the life of royalty. This was the life of an exile, doomed never again to see home. To know her birthplace.

Vividly, she remembered speaking once upon a time of starting a new life across the vast ocean seas. Her childish mind was fascinated with the Free Cities, the exotic sights they offered, and the ocean's promise of the unknown. Her brother did not take kindly to the suggestion, not at all. Even now, she remembered the sensation of him twisting and pulling at her hair as he screamed in her face.

As the days and months went by, the kind brother Daenerys remembered was slowly fading away, replaced by the dragon hellbent on reclaiming the Iron Throne.

Even though it's little more than a flight of fancy by now, Danny thought unkindly.

Viserys had an unflattering reputation in Pentos if not most of the Free Cities. "The Beggar King", they called him. The mere mention or reference to that name sent her older brother into a fiery rage, stirring the slumbering dragon within him. The sight of his fury only incensed those mocking him, dragging his reputation further into the mud. Danny wanted to comfort him, clinging desperately to the fleeting memories of the man he was, who she believed still existed deep down within him, but Viserys took none too kindly to her "patronizing". She took some small comfort he hadn't deigned to strike her then.

Not too long ago, Viserys attempted to strike a friendship with the Golden Company; a mercenary known far and wide throughout Essos. The Blackfyres, a branch house with ill-repute due to the actions of the treacherous Daemon Blackfyre, formerly Daemon Targaryen and brother to King Daeron, had a long history with the Golden Company. One might say the Golden Company is House Blackfyre and House Blackfyre is the Golden Company. Viserys hoped that the promise of helping the rightful heir to the Iron Throne would be enough to persuade them to the cause, and the promise that the Golden Company would be well rewarded.

Danny shivered, remembering how the Golden Company laughed and taunted him after accepting his gold whilst telling him they would have no part in his "scatter-brained scheme". What made the moment all the more painful was that the gold Viserys procured in the hopes of buying their service was earned from selling Queen Rhaella's crown.

It went without saying that Viserys wanted nothing to do with the Golden Company since, if not swear he would wreak vengeance upon them one day.

Danny groaned as her stomach rumbled and growled, demanding sustenance. It'd been two days since they arrived in this hovel they now called home, two days since their last meal. Viserys was working on procuring supplies, once again forced to swallow his Targaryen pride while leaving her to her solace. Truthfully, she didn't know whether to be glad she was not in his presence when the dragon reared its ugly head or lamenting her solitude. She despised the lack of sound, the lifelessness around her. She couldn't feel at ease in this place at all.

The odd dreams as of late were little help, either. Try as she might to decipher their meaning, they made no sense to her.

She—

Her stomach growled again. Danny could feel her own insides eating away at her. She wondered if this was how she would die, of starvation and hunger far from the home she yearned to see.

"What awful hurtling."

Danny leaped to her feet in an instant, reaching for the chipped leather knife tied to her waist. A woman entered the hovel without a sound, standing so close to the young princess she could have easily seized her by the throat and left her none the wiser.

"How fill'd with pangs of hunger art thee 'fr thy stomach soundeth liketh a fell wolf? It took Danny a moment to realize the woman spoke in Valyrian. Not High Valyrian, but Old Valyrian. It was an old language, a tongue not spoken since the Doom. To the best of her knowledge, only the Targaryens' kin in Volantis, ever reclusive and dismissive of their Westerosi cousins, spoke it. She bore an odd accent, yet her tone and voice made Danny think of her mother and how she envisioned her in her dreams.

A long white cloak adorned most of her body, hiding much of her form under the fabric. Her features were pure Valyrian, so perfect Danny would have thought her a beautiful man if not for her voice and peaking bosom. Silvery-white hair framed the curves of her face, spilling down past her chin and shoulders and ending at her waist. The sides of her face were decorated with mirroring tattoos, though the markings were so odd she could not properly describe them. Her eyes captured Danny's attention the most; the irises were large, nearly swallowing the sclera entirely, and the pupils narrowed and long like a glaring dragon's, surrounded by a pinkish-red hue.

She could almost swear the woman's eyes were glowing.

"Well?" the woman said irately. "Shall thee answ'r, 'r shall thee standeth th're gawking liketh a blinking idiot?"

Danny swallowed the lump in her throat. The knife in her hands felt as heavy as a stone. "W-why do you care if I am hungry?" she challenged, trying to muster the courage of her lineage.

"I careth because the hurtling offends me," the woman replied curtly while staring down Danny as though she were little more than an ant. "I couldst heareth t a mile hence." She took a step forward. For but a moment, the woman grew taller, reaching toward the sky like a great monolith. Danny took a fearful step back, her body all but trembling. "T offends mine own ears. I can barely standeth to hark to thy stomach."

Danny attempted another rebuttal, ready to threaten the woman and leave her alone, only for her stomach to growl once more and the pain in her gut to rear its head again. She inhaled sharply, no longer capable of holding the knife aloft. It slipped out of her hand and clattered to the dirt. She fell to her knees, clutching her stomach and whimpering. Were Viserys here to see her pitiful state, he'd yell at her for such a disgraceful sight. She wouldn't blame him, either. It was one thing to be brought to her knees because of something meager like hunger, but to do so in front of a mere stranger? It was beyond shameful!

She felt the woman's stare linger on her prone form before hearing her sigh. Her cloak shifted as she knelt, parting just enough to expose black robes with intricate gold lacings, carefully woven into the fabric with such mastery and dexterity beyond any clothmaker Danny knew in the Free Cities. Suddenly, Danny became keenly aware of the wonderful smell emanating from the woman's person.

She looked up, and felt her mouth water. The woman held out a loaf of bread, freshly baked at that.

"Art thee going to consume t 'r not?"

The princess didn't question whether the woman poisoned it or why she offered her food in the first place. She didn't care for decorum or what her brother would have thought. Daenerys didn't think much of anything.

All she could think about was how delicious the bread tasted, and how her stomach ceased to howl.

"I do not wish to sound ungrateful, but why did you offer me food?" Danny asked after having scarfed the loaf down. The woman sat down next to her, seemingly uncaring whether the dirt besmirched her white cloak. She was still suspicious of the newcomer and kept her knife within arm's reach, but she allowed a degree of trust. The woman earned that much at least. "If my stomach offended you so much, you would have left."

"True," the woman acknowledged with a wistful smile. "I couldst has't hath left and spareth mine own ears from thy stomach's insuff'rable growling. If't be true I didst yond, howev'r, I wouldst beest leaving a issue to suff'r. I am many things, dram wench, but I am not heartless. Mine own l'ord broth'r wouldst has't mine own h'rns be true I disgrac'd myself in such a mann'r."

It was times such as this when Danny wished she knew more Old Valyrian. She barely understood half of what the woman said, making it difficult to discern her intentions and sincerity. The mention of a "lord brother" piqued her curiosity, as the choice of wording implied the woman was of noble stock. Sadly, Danny knew as much about the Volantis nobility as Viserys and everyone else, and that was little to nothing whatsoever. Her Essosi kin were a reclusive bunch with arrogance to match their solitude. Danny entertained the idea the woman might be of Volantese nobility, but dismissed it soon after it appeared in her mind. There was no reason for a highborn noble to come to Pentos, much less seek out her Westerosi cousin.

This, of course, only reignited her paranoia. "…who are you, exactly? I've never met anyone who could speak the ancient tongue of the old empire, and so fluently."

"Has't thee nay mann'rs, wench?" the woman retorted with a glower. "Is't not courtesy to giveth thy nameth bef're demanding anoth'r's?"

Danny winced. She earned that, she supposed. "…Danny," she said hesitantly, careful not to give out her family name. "My name is Danny."

"But t is not thy true nameth," the woman observed. Was it her imagination, or did she sense approval? "Still, thee've proven thee has't mann'rs."

The woman smiled, and Danny felt a shiver run down her spine. She saw not pearly white teeth, but serrated, jagged fangs.

"I am hath called Lansseax, of the Lands Between. Daught'r of Gransax, sister to mine own l'ord broth'r Fortissax, and f'rm'r priestess of the dragon's cult of Leyndell. T's a pleasure to meeteth thee."

…what?

It took but a few seconds for Daenerys Targaryen to register Lansseax's words, and yet another few seconds before breaking into a cold sweat.

THE MAIDEN

The lampwood sat in the distance, as it always did. Ever sentinel, ever present, yet never reachable. No matter how far one ventured, no matter how close it seemed, they would never touch it.

Such was its purpose, to stand as a guide to wayward souls, and yet it never overstepped its bounds.

The spirits of the realm grew restless. Although she traveled far from the Lands Between and its now welcoming embrace, the maiden saw the howling spirits waging a pointless, unwinnable war. The ghosts haunting Westeros hailed from a myriad of ages, some tinged with old magic. It was not enough to pose any real threat to the ghostflames and its bearers, but it was enough to deter them. Enough to lock them into a stalemate, though even she knew naught how long it would last.

When she found herself in this realm, a reflection of the world she fought and gave her life to protect, she did not know what to think at first. That she found herself in foreign lands, in a world so similar yet very different from her own, was all the more confusing. It had not been until she heard the voice of the Lunar Princess that the Maiden understood.

I do solemnly swear.
To every living being, and every living soul.
Now cometh the Age of the Stars.
A thousand year voyage under the wisdom of the Moon.
Here beginneth the chill night that encompasses all, reaching the great beyond.
Into fear, doubt, and loneliness…
As the path stretcheth into darkness.

The knowledge that Queen Marika the Eternal was succeeded was surprising as was the identity of who surpassed her. Ranni the Witch, the thought-dead princess of Caria, one of the three Empyreans. Theirs was a passing acquaintance, and a vow that they would not interfere in each other's affairs. It helped that Ranni's desire for the Lands Between tied neatly with the Maiden's own plan to crown a new Elden Lord by any means necessary, even though such an action would be in direct defiance toward the Golden Order.

There were many Tarnished of great repute who returned to the Lands Between in the wake of the Shattering, would-be champions who might claim the vacant seat and return order and sanity to the realm.

Hoarah Loux, chieftain of the Badlands, also known as Godfrey, the first Elden Lord. One of the greatest warriors the realm has ever seen, bringing countless neighboring kingdoms and races to heel before the Golden Order's luster. Although stripped of Grace and sent to foreign lands, he returned to reclaim his post and title.

The Ever-Brilliant Goldmask, fundamentalist of the Golden Order and bar none the most renown follower and scholar of the Golden Order. Whatever past he once had was long abandoned in the name of fundamentalism. Such was his devotion and desire to understand the Golden Order and its mysteries, its intricacies, that he discarded his very name.

Fia, the Deathbed Companion. A kind soul with empathy, even for those beyond the Golden Order's tolerance. Many described her as being a gentle lover and a warm mother, offering comfort and kindness to the dying nobles she laid with. Although many in the Lands Between scorned and persecuted her and those like her, she never faltered in her desire to aid the legacy of the dirtied Golden Prince.

Sir Gideon Ofnir, the All-Knowing. Of those who would be Lord, he was a man shrouded in mystery. Once hailed as the royal spymaster, he dedicated his life to learning every secret, every scrap of knowledge, every heresy ever put to paper or carving. He was no scholar, merely a man driven by an instinctual desire, a raging ambition to know all there is to know of the world and beyond.

The Loathsome Dung Eater. A criminal people compared to the like of Shabriri, the most reviled man in all history, for his acts of wanton murder and slaughter did not cease in bloodshed. The Dun Eater earned his name for the heretical, horrific acts he inflicted upon his victims, sullying them so thoroughly in body and soul that they would never return to the Erdtree. They would exist outside of Grace; a fate many considered worse than death.

And yet, for all the grandioise achievements and power these renowned warriors and scholars possessed, none reached the throne. The post of Elden Lord, and title of consort eternal, was taken by a Tarnished of no renown. A bloodied warrior, from the Land of Reeds.

The Maiden pursed her lips, recalling their first encounter. She wondered what the Elden Lord was doing, now that he was wed and in service to Ranni the Witch. Her musings paused when she caught movement up ahead. The trodden path laid out before her was covered in corpses; freshly slain if the pools of bright blue liquid and flickering motes of light from their dissipating forms were any indication. Further ahead, standing over a small pile of fading ghosts, was a dreadfully familiar sight. She recognized the knight almost immediately, unable to forget the spear in his hand or the ruined state of his armor.

She narrowed her eyes, slowly reaching for her dagger while taking stock of the flickering and fading bodies strewn over the beaten path. They were garbed in plated metal, fur cloaks adorning their bodies like capes. Branded on their cloaks was a house sigil. A wolf with bared fangs. The motes drifting from their fading bodies were tinged scarlet, the same as any spirit with hostility toward the living.

Many spirits in this realm were driven mad. This was a land for warriors who fell in battle, yet many were left unsatisfied. Some craved more bloodshed, others wished to continue serving their lords even in death. Although the realm was meant to be a reprieve, a chance for them to let go of their worldly bonds and make the pilgrimage, their inability to let go left them maddened and succumbed to the dark nature of their new reality. Even the Maiden, guided and protected by the gloam fire alight in her breast, felt the gnarled claws reaching for her values and beliefs.

The Tarnished of Antiquity remained rooted on the spot. His form was remarkably solid like hers, yet she could see the blurred edges of his existence. He was no more a spirit in this realm than herself.

"…I see you've been released from your bondage and gaol," the Maiden spoke, addressing the Tarnished with a calm and even tone despite the worry gnawing at her breast.

Ever so slightly, the knight in ruined armor turned his head, acknowledging her existence. "And you have fulfilled your purpose," he replied. "The warrior who stumbled me in the mountaintop, the Reedlander… Were they yours?"

"Yes."

"…I have no quarrel with you, maiden."

"I know better than to trust the word of one who consorted with the Three Fingers."

"What I did, I did for her."

The Maiden turned her gaze downward. "I know."

He laughed bitterly, the sound of a man who realized his folly and was left with no choice but to lay in the bed of his own making. "Will you not laugh, maiden who crowned the Elden Lord? At this poor, pitiful fool who could not save one who championed him and betrayed her trust irreparably?"

The Maiden retracted the path of her hand, gazing upon the Tarnished of Antiquity with pity. She knew his story well. In fact, she would have chosen him had a Finger Maiden not approached him, partly out of admiration for his long and storied prestige since his return to the Lands Between and mostly out of a desire to see him crowned. He had the qualities and strength needed for lordship, chief among them compassion.

No one knew it was his compassion that would lead to his ruin and his Finger Maiden's demise.

"There is no greater curse than love," Kind Miquella once told her. She didn't realize how true his words were until she learned of the Tarnished's imprisonment in the gaol up in the mountains beyond the Forbidden Lands.

"…why have you come here?" the knight questioned, ceasing his laughter. By now, the pile of corpses at his feet faded into nothingness. All that remained were the floating motes of light, dancing around his body like fireflies. "Do you seek the frigid lands to the north?"

The Maiden shook her head. "I seek the castle belonging to kings of forgotten ages," she answered.

"For what purpose?"

"The wolf yet to become a dragon."

A lull silence fell over them.

"…Valmar of the Tylth rides to the North. In search of the Throneless Lord."

The Maiden frowned. "For what purpose?"

"Only the Ghostlord knows that," the Tarnished of Antiquity answered. He turned on his heel, settling his accursed and madness-touched spear on his back. He walked past her, the scent of frenzy and dragon blood clinging to him like a cloak. "Pray he does not find you, maiden. His Huntsmen are many things. Do not expect mercy, and offer them none in kind."

The gloam-eyed woman nodded, uttering a word of thanks as she continued her trek northwards. She looked up at the dark moon hanging in the night sky, the representation and symbol of a new order.

A world where one may decide their fate as they see fit.

"I cannot help but wonder, old friend… Is it by your hand that I yet exist, made anew with flesh and flame? Or does fate have need of me still?"

The Dark Moon offered no answers, as she expected. Only silence.

Last edited:
Chapter VI New
I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting to get this week's public chapter out to you. Much less a second chapter, which is en route as we speak. The reason for this is that, over on patreon, I just uploaded Chapters 10 and 11. I say "11", but it's really just an interlude around 1k words that touches on some background stuff and things you can expect to see when we reach the Lands Between.

NED

The last time Ned set foot in King's Landing was during the Greyjoy Rebellion. Little changed, least of all the horrid smell invading his nostrils.

"Old gods be good, what is that?" Robb gagged, clawing at his nose in a futile attempt to stop the invading odor. "Even a rotting carcass doesn't smell nearly as bad as this."

"Welcome to King's Landing," Ned said glumly.

He didn't have fond memories of this place, before and after the rebellions. He came here three times before; the first for the tourney at Harrenhal, and the second during the Sack. Even after nearly twenty years, Ned remembered the fires, the stench of dead bodies, bloody rivers flowing through the streets, and the man he once considered a brother in all but blood laughing over a pair of dead children and their mother.

Has he changed since I saw him last, Ned wondered, not for the first time.

As strained as their friendship had become in the years since Robert's Rebellion, Ned held out hope kingship and its burdens helped to wizen his friend. He heard a few things from travelers, some speaking of the current state of affairs in King's Landing, but it was hard to discern fact from truth. At the very least, the smallfolk spoke of him more fondly than they did of Aerys.

Not that that was hard.

A guardsman awaited them at the northern gate, a gold cloak adorning his shoulders. Ned disembarked his horse as the Gold Cloak approached. At a glance, he couldn't be any older than seven and ten, something that disturbed Ned. Was the City Watch so understaffed they resorted to hiring young blood now?

"M'lord," the guardsman greeted amicably. "What brings you here?"

Ned produced the letter bearing Robert's seal form his cloak, holding it for the guardsman to see. "I am Lord Eddard Stark, Lord Paramount of the North and patriarch of House Stark," he said. "I have come to answer King Robert Baratheon's summons."

The guardsman took the letter and inspected it. After verifying it indeed bore the king's seal, he handed it back to Ned. "Welcome to King's Landing, Lord Stark."

"Out of curiosity, guardsman, do you know how many lords of the Great Houses are in King's Landing at the moment?"

"You are the last to arrive, m'lord. Prince Oberyn Martell and his entourage arrived just yesterday."

Ned pursed his lips, trying to remember the last time the leaders of the Great Houses convened in King's Landing. Ordinarily, they would convene when a lord called for a Great Council; a meeting to decide who may rule the Seven Kingdoms and all Westeros or discuss other matters concerning the realm. Only thrice has the Great Council been called; all to decide the matter of succession.

If nothing else, this voyage should prove interesting, Ned privately thought to himself, wondering how this 'expedition' would fare.

The months spent traveling gave him quite a lot to think about, as well as time to prepare his eldest son and heir what to expect. So far, Robb proved his studies were not in vain and held himself admirably in the face of scrutiny, but he was still a boy. More importantly, he was of Northern stock. Ned knew well how the practices of the North would not fare well in the South, where the nobility were more concerned with matters such as coin, prestige, and power. He tried to wrap his mind around it once, only to find himself suffering than learning. He tried to understand what could have enticed his lord father to garner "Southern ambitions".

It raised more questions than answers. In the end, Ned preferred the comforts and normalcy of life in the frigid North. At least there, he could understand what drove his people and fellow lords.

It took thirteen minutes to park the wheelhouse, and another four to properly disembark. Robb exited the wheelhouse, still attempting to block out the city's foul odors. Ned braved the odor as best he could, though at the moment it was the warm weather that was his biggest enemy. The North, ever cold and chill, had been his home for as long as he could remember. The rebellions took him to many places across Westeros, even briefly to the seas, and in both Robert's and the Greyjoy's, he found the warm climate of the South to be slightly unbearable.

The long months of travel certainly hadn't helped, least of all the gnawing worries that grew with each passing day. He was dreading this voyage for a multitude of reasons.

"Where to now, father?" Robb inquired.

"We make for the Red Keep," he said before looking to his men. "The rest of you will find lodgings. Assuming it is still there, Baelor's Rest should offer enough room for you. If not that, spend time at the taverns. I trust you lot will behave yourselves?"

"So long as the Southrons keep to themselves," one of his bannermen replied. "How long do you think discussions will take?"

"With any hope, not long."

The Red Keep remained as intimidating a sight as it had fifteen years ago. Without question, it was the grandest of any castle or palace ever built, its red walls withstanding the test of time. Once, long ago, it'd been the seat of power held by Aegon the Conqueror and his descendants near three centuries ago. Now, it was held by the lions and the stags by way of marriage and descent. Through Rhaella Targaryen's relation to House Baratheon, Robert and his kin held the closest qualifications to claim the crown and throne, more than any other House.

Ned set foot in this place in the aftermath of the rebellion, when he relayed news of his sister's death to Robert. It was not a pleasant memory for either man. Ned was still wrothful with his friend and sworn brother for his disgraceful acts toward Elia Martell and her children, but there'd been enough friendship to tell him what became of Lyanna. Robert was a man who wore his heart on his sleeve and proudly bore his emotions on his face. The sight of one of the strongest, most hard-headed men he knew weeping like a child made Ned wonder if there was still a smoldering remnant of his old friend left in the hate-filled husk he'd come to know since.

Upon arriving at the throne room, Ned gazed upon his old friend for the first time in years. Looking at him now, the Northern lord could not help but wonder what had become of Robert in the past decade. He was no longer the fit, burly boy who excelled under Jon Arryn's tutelage. Nay, kingship turned him fat. Muscles became pig-like lumps, his belly as rotund as a haystack, and his cheeks puffed like some woodland creature.

The sight of what had become of Robert Baratheon broke Ned's heart. He knew then that his friend had changed, and it had not been for the better.

"Eddard fucking Stark!" Robert's voice boomed across the Small Council room, his smile so wide Ned feared his face might split in half. "You are a sight for sore eyes!"

Robert all but stomped up to him. Ned made to kneel, only for the king to pull him into a one-armed hug. Inwardly, Ned grimaced as he smelled the familiar scent of alcohol deeply tinged with Robert's stench. Evidently, becoming king did nothing to curb his drinking habits.

"Your Grace," he said. "It's good to see you again."

"Oh, none of that crap. We're sworn brothers, you and I. I owe you that much, at least." Robert turned his gaze to Ned's son, who promptly stood at attention. "And this must be your son. Robb, was it? You're a fine lad."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

Robert smiled as he waved his hand in dismissal. "Call me Robert. You're the son of my friend, after all. Consider it a royal priveledge." His smile dimmed as he turned back to Ned. The Lord Paramount frowned, recognizing the somber look in Robert's eyes. "To be honest, I'm glad you came when you did."

"Is Lord Arryn well?" he asked immediately.

"Aye, well enough. A stubborn old bastard like me, but lately, he's been coughing more than usual. Half the time, I fear he might spit blood. That old fop Pycelle thinks he has a year in him at most."

Ned's heart swelled in sorrow. A year? Is that all he truly has left?

In the time spent fostering under Jon Arryn, Ned found a second father in the Eyrie. He was a kindly old man not dissimilar to his own father, but different enough for Ned to form a bond all the same. Where Rickard Stark taught him how to be a lord and warden of the Northern land, Jon Arryn taught him how to be a knight and honorable man. To his shame, he didn't write to Lord Arryn nearly as often as he had in recent years, finding himself too busy in the affairs of his fellow Northmen and the rise of Wildling sightings. Likewise, Lord Arryn didn't write back due to his responsibilities as Lord Hand.

Despite the long years since their last meeting, Ned considered Lord Arryn a dear friend and more. To learn that his reward for all he'd done was a measly year of life left was disheartening. His heart lurched and clawed at itself in a way that made his chest writhe in discomfort.

"…I'm sorry, Robert."

For but a moment, Ned swore he saw the true face of the king appear. "He's a good man. Better than I deserve, if I'm being truthful. But now you understand why I need your help convincing him to resign from his post."

"He must be a proud man, to continue holding the post of the Lord Hand despite being so close to death," Robb said.

Robert laughed. "I think you mean stubborn, whelp. He's more pig-headed than me! At any rate, now that you're here, we can call for a proper meeting." The king grinned, showing off white and yellow teeth while looking out past the windows and into the open view of King's Landing in its full splendor. Past the high towers and bustling castle-town below was the great wide ocean. "I've not felt this excited since when I first rode with Jon to deal with a bunch of Mountain bastards causing trouble in the Eyrie. My first real taste for battle. I'll never forget it. Can you imagine it, Ned? A land no one's heard of until now. It makes you wonder what we'll find there."

Ned allowed himself to smile. "With any luck, it will be honorable men and not savages."

"I wouldn't mind if they were a tad like the Dornish," the king remarked. "Especially the womenfolk."

…Well, I see kingship's done nothing to slake your lust.

As a man of the North, Ned should have felt disgruntled with the knowledge Robert had not ceased his whoremongering ways since ascending the Iron Throne. Instead, a part of him felt relieved.

Perhaps there was still some of his old friend left in this fat king after all.

OBERYN

"You know, it's a shame you're a Lannister." The 'stain' of Tywin Lannister looked up from the book in his hands in befuddlement, meeting the cheery grin of Dorne's Red Viper. "You would've made a fine Dorneman."

"Don't let my father hear that," Tyrion replied with a cheeky smile. "He still thinks me a Lannister despite seeing me as less than dog shit. I have to ask, though. Do you say that because of my height, or because we're both eyeing the same woman?"

The maid cleaning the floors from across the hall was a catch. She looked plain, but her freckles and curly dark hair gave her a curious look that made him yearn to take her to the bedroom. Of course, it helped that when he happened upon the maid earlier, she fidgeted and squirmed under his gaze with rosy pink cheeks. She was timid in his presence, but it was clear as day she wanted to see if the Dornish were as "insatiable" as everyone said. Something he would be more than happy to prove if given the opportunity.

Oberyn had to admit, Tyrion proved better company than expected. He first met the midget sometime after he'd been born. His mother wished to pay Lady Joanna her respects after receiving news of her passing, bringing a then-young Oberyn and Elia with her to Casterly Rock. Of course, there had also been possible talks of marriage between them and Tywin's children. Nothing ultimately came out of that due to both siblings being disinterested in Tywin's children; Elia thought Jaime a poor match, and Oberyn found Cersei too obsessive and boorish, though she did prove a minor amusement when he discovered the twins' habits of switching places. Oh, what fun it'd been to discover their secret. Tyrion Lannister, then a small babe, had been an ugly little thing he couldn't help but dismiss.

In the day spent around the dwarf since, Oberyn amended his thoughts of Tyrion. Any belief the midget would be a bitter man like his contemptuous father were dismissed. Oh yes, Tyrion was indeed a bitter man, but he learned to hide it with a smile and a few choice words and a charming grin. Deformed as he may be, he was a Lannister, and Lannisters were nothing if not creative in how they integrated themselves with others. Oberyn had been suspicious of how easily Tyrion approached him in the guise of learning about the famed Red Viper of Dorne, but before long, they were mostly eased. He hadn't truly let down his guard, but the man earned some degree of trust.

That, and Oberyn loved how Tyrion's mere existence made Tywin's face sour as though he bit into a lemon.

Now, if only could run his knife through the lion's ribs…

"Beg your pardon, my lords, but His Grace is calling for you."

Oberyn blinked, not realizing another servant entered the room. The viper and imp looked at each other and shrugged, the latter sliding the book back where he found it.

"Do you know why he wishes to see us?" Oberyn asked as they walked.

"It would seem the last of the Great Lords has arrived. Lord Eddard Stark and his heir arrived in the Red Keep nary an hour ago."

Tyrion chuckled. "So, the heirs and lords of the eight great houses have come together in one place. All we need now are the Greyjoys, and this would be a Great Council."

Come to think of it, the heir of Balon Greyjoy is Lord Stark's ward, Oberyn vaguely recalled. I wonder if he brought the boy as well, then we may truly be in a Great Council…

The servant led the pair to the throne room. Upon entering, Oberyn laid eyes on the fat king Robert Baratheon, seated on the Iron Throne. The luster and intimidating presence it bore was set off-balance by the man seated on it, though that was the least of the prince's attention. Instead, his attention was on the gathered lords. He found Eddard Stark and his heir easily; Northmen were a rare sight in the South and rarer still in Dorne, but he learned to recognize their features and the cloaks adorned to their shoulders.

Curiously, the patriarch of House Tyrell was not present among the gathering. Instead, it was the Queen of Thorns herself; Oberyn knew of no other wrinkly old woman who could so easily sit in a room full of lords and accomplished men without batting an eye while seemingly bored. At her side was who he assumed was her granddaughter Margeary Tyrell. Although only four and ten, rumors of her beauty did no justice to seeing her in the flesh. For but a moment, Oberyn could not help but remember dear Ashara.

"The man in armor next to Lord Stark is Edmure Tully, I believe," Tyrion murmured next to him. "And the man with the stony face is Lord Stannis, the king's brother."

Now there is a man in desperate need of a woman's touch, Oberyn cannot help but think. At a glance, Stannis Baratheon has the bearings of a man of discipline; he stood at attention, shoulders broad and with a fierce countenance belonging to a warrior on the battlefield. On closer inspection, however, Oberyn saw the signs of bitter resentment, carefully concealed but present, hidden under his stern glaring. It seems the hearsay of a brotherly feud between the king and his Master of Laws is not unfounded.

Doran would love to hear that, he thought to himself.

"Is everyone present and accounted for?" the Lord Hand asked, his wizened voice echoing across the great hall. The great lords and heirs in attendance stood in silence, awaiting for the king to begin the council in earnest. "Very well. We shall begin. Let us not beat around the bush, as it were. You've all heard, by now, the tale told to us by sailors who returned to Driftmark bearing trinkets and gifts the likes of which never seen before in Westeros. Gifts from a land previously unknown to us, one somehow hidden from spying eyes for all these years."

"And if there were any doubt whether this foreign land exists," King Robert boomed, holding up a letter in his hand. "This dispelled them. Our Master of Ships sent a ship to verify the sailors' claims. This arrived little over a week ago, confirming the existence of the land off the southern shores of Essos."

"What do we know of it?" Olenna Tyrell asked sharply. "Surely, you don't expect us to sail and discover who these people are by ourselves."

Stannis answered in place of the king, who to his credit didn't look remotely displeased by the Queen of Thorns' sharp tongue. "The people there call it the Lands Between. They are currently enjoying themselves under the Guest Rights of Nepheli Loux, the Lady Paramount of Limgrave and ruler of Stormveil Castle."

Oberyn blinked. "I'm sorry, did you say Lady Nepheli?" Although it was not unheard of for a house to be ruled by a matriarch, with the Tyrells being the best living example (Mace can proclaim otherwise all he wants, everyone knows his mother has him by the balls), it was still a rare occurrence. The last time he heard of a matriarch was Rhaenyra Targaryen, though whether she was indeed Queen was still up for debate.

"Aye," the Lord Hand nodded. "Admittedly, our scouts are still in the midst of learning more of the Lands Between, but so far, they've been given a warm welcome. At the very least, Lady Loux is receptive to the idea of meeting foreign dignitaries."

"How much do we know of this land?" Lord Tully inquired with squinted eyes. "Is Lady Loux the sole ruler, or are there other countries?"

"As I said, Lady Loux is the Paramount of Limgrave," the Lord Hand answered. "North of Limgrave is the territory of Caria, ruled by Queen Rennala, and to the east is the land of Caelid, though word of that region is scarce. That said, according to Lady Loux, both she, her fellow lords, and even the Queen of Caria bend the knee to the High Queen and her consort, who rule from the capital city of Altus, Leyndell."

"As riveting as this is, I feel we must ask an important question," Oberyn said, bringing his fellow Great Lords' attention to him. "The lands east of Westeros are known. Every map maker worth their ink and maesters worth their chains spent lifetimes charting seas and lands. Were this Lands Between to have been found to the Further East, I'd believe the sailors claims, but off the southern shores? Between Lys and Volantis? Even you, Your Grace, must realize that is suspect."

King Robert chortled. "And yet, it sits there all the same. First the sailors, and now even our own scouts. You raise a good point, Red Viper, but isn't that all the more reason to open dialogue with our new neighbors? Let's be frank; we are not the only ones interested in that place. Crone's saggy tits knows all of Essos likely learned of them first and are racing to learn all they can."

So he's trying to take the initiative, Oberyn realized. I guess the fat man isn't so lazy.

Indeed, the king spoke true. There was no doubt in their minds that Essos likely learned about the Lands Between long before they did. It was more than likely they already established open dialogue with them, hoping to learn their secrets and discuss trade. Oberyn recalled seeing one of the gifts the sailors brought to the Red Keep, proof of the Lands Between's existence. The Uchigatana had not been the only blade they brought with them. There'd been another, a weapon with two blades, one at the top and one at the bottom; "twinblade" they called it. He held it in his hand for a scant few seconds, yet he could not deny how light, how perfect it felt.

The Uchigatana and the twinblade, weapons of such exotic design and make never seen anywhere else in Westeros. The purpose and necessity of such weapons did raise a question in their minds, one that raised more frightening possibilities.

What sort of life did the people of the Lands Between lead, if they felt the need to craft such weapons?

Chapter VII New
ROBB

King's Landing was not at all what Robb thought it'd be. He was slowly getting used to the smell, but the sheer size and bustle of the city was far and above anything he saw. It made him realize just how sheltered he was from the world, and how small Wintertown was by comparison. Even walking through the narrow streets made him aware of the disparity between smallfolk and those of noble houses.

In the North, everyone struggled and learned to support each other. The harsh winters in particular saw both noble and smallfolk united. Food was vital for survival, none moreso than in the frigid northern regions of Westeros. This was the first lesson Eddard Stark pounded into his eldest son's head when he began his studies into lordship, and it was a lesson still ongoing.

Southern goods seem to be of varying quality, Robb thought as he strolled through the markets. The prices ranged from something as low as a handful of halfpennies to an outrageous ten stags. Some items he saw were most definitely not worth such an absurd amount of coin. He almost argued with the stall owners, only ceasing when he realized he was in another part of Westeros and in the capital of the entire realm. All commerce and trade was centralized in King's Landing, with many a merchant seeking to establish themselves. Others were left little choice but to compete with their wealthier competitors, including in prices.

It was certainly an eye-opening experience, though one that left him sour. Despite the stories and tales of its storied history, King's Landing was not what bards made it out to be. His father's grim look when he saw the state of the city made sense now that Robb walked through the city streets. The city was yet to heal from the scars inflicted upon it during the Sack.

How can his Grace possibly allow this?

It made no sense to Robb at all. Although vaguely aware of the strained friendship between his father and King Robert, Robb wished to judge the king with his own eyes. As far as first impressions went, Robert Baratheon was quite unimpressive and shattered the image Robb built in his head, having expected a man with a build similar to a Greatjon with a physique to match. At least his personality seemed well, speaking frankly with Lord Stark as a dear friend than his king. Having watched King Robert embrace Robb's father, he couldn't help but wonder what it was that strained their camaraderie.

Still, Robb felt disappointed with his king all the same. Kings were meant to hold themselves to a higher standard, with King's Landing meant to reflect that. What did the state of the city say if the king did not maintain it, content to let it wallow in disrepair?

As the Stark heir walked through the streets, he eventually came upon a startling sight. A pair of men garbed in golden cloaks surrounded a woman in ratty garbs. Dirt and muck clung to her tatters and hair, her skin so thin he could see the bone underneath. What made the sight so ghastly was that the girl couldn't be any older than one and ten. In a scarred but thriving city, how could a child so young grow starved?

He was too far away to hear the City Watchers words, but if the look on the girl's face was any indication, they were not pleasant. Desperation wrought her features, reaching out to grab one of them. Anger roared in Robb's ears when one of the gold cloaks backhanded her, knocking her to the ground and the other reached for the sword at his hip. His wolfsblood pulsated, demanding he bear his fangs. His hand grasped the pommel of his sword—

A warm, gentle hand seized his. A young woman of four and ten with lovely brown hair and eyes looked him dead in the eye.

"Don't." Despite the softness of her voice, there was a sharp edge to it. A warning, spoken in a tone better fit of a lord than a waif. "Not here."

Robb opened his mouth to protest, but the young woman's grip held firm. He looked back at the gold cloaks and the girl, only to find the watchers now standing over a corpse. The girl laid in a pool of blood, her tatters stained crimson around the stomach. One of the gold cloaks spat at the corpse at his feet before he and his compatriot took their leave, not giving the body so much a second glance. The sight left him aghast, having not expected to find such disgusting and cruel behavior from those meant to defend the citizenry.

The young woman released her hand from Robb's wrist. The northern heir stared accusingly. "Why did you stop me?" he demanded. "If you hadn't, that girl—"

"—would have died sooner or later," the young woman cut him off. "What would you have done, ser Stark? Killed them to defend her? You would have been forced to explain to the Lord Commander of the City Watch and His Grace, and make your father's life and position here in King's Landing difficult. Even if you simply fended them off and gave the girl coin, you would only delay the inevitable. Girls like her are too common a sight here in King's Landing, and so close to Flea Bottom."

Robb frowned. "Flea Bottom?"

"A poor slum and blight of King's Landing. It's little more than a haven for criminals of all sorts as well as the downtrodden, from bastard children of nobles to abandoned babes forced to fend for themselves. I could tell you countless stories of small children fighting for scraps or girls as young as ten name days forced to work in a whorehouse."

"And His Grace allows it to fester?"

"The Targaryen kings of old tried to change it, with mixed success and failure. I'm afraid King Robert has little care for it, much as he does the rest of the city."

Robb should have reproached her, told her off for speaking ill of the king, yet he could not bring himself to speak. Loathe as he was to admit it, the young woman made a point. From how thin the girl was, what was the point of giving her coin? If there were others like her and in similar situations, wouldn't he have simply set her up to be robbed and beaten?

No, he couldn't accept that. There had to have been a way. Something he could have done.

He looked at the young woman again. Her shapely figure and silken garbs told him she was of noble stock, and her face was familiar. He remembered seeing her the other day. "You were with Lady Olenna Tyrell."

"Margeary Tyrell, at your service, ser Stark," she smiled. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

MARGEARY

As her grandmother expected, the men of House Stark were honorable. A rare trait in the South, one Margeary adored in fact, but a detriment that could easily be turned against them. If there was anything she learned as a member of House Tyrell, it was the intricacies and dangers of "the game".

"There is no better play in the game than a Tyrell," some claimed.

They were not wrong to believe so. The Tyrells persevered precisely because of their experience in "the game", and their familiarity with the antics and motivations of their fellow players. Her grandmother Olenna considered herself a good judge of character, usually able to discern a person's value after one or two conversations. It made navigating King Robert's court that much easier, given how much of a louse he was. As sad as it was to think, Margeary didn't respect Robert Baratheon. Rather, she pitied him. Stuck in a loveless marriage, an heir with a penchant for violence and trouble, and a kingdom on the verge of collapsing into wanton anarchy; the greatest shortcoming in the stag's reign, and the one that might very well spell the end of its depressingly short dynasty.

The six kingdoms bent the knee to the Targaryens out of fear and respect, the might of dragons seared into their very minds. When the Dance of the Dragons passed and the mighty winged beasts died off, the lords bent the knee still; wingless though the Targaryens became, they were still dragons, and dragons bore fangs and claws. Ironically, it would not be until the Blackfyre Rebellions that saw the Targaryen dynasty slowly crumble, in no small part thanks to the disaster wrought upon them by Aegon the Unworthy. The depraved Targaryen, now called the predecessor to the Mad King, and his decision to legitimize his bastards became a cautionary tale for noble houses. Even the septons began speaking about the dangers of ambitious bastards, though such talk was rare among the Seven's faithful.

When the Baratheons claimed the Iron Throne, there'd been a great many hopes. It hadn't taken long for them to realize that although Robert Baratheon was an improvement from Aerys Targaryen, he was nowhere near the benevolence or repute as the Conciliator or Daeron the Good. Indeed, Robert Baratheon was a creature of opulence and decadence. Thankfully his depravity was nowhere near the revile nature of Aegon the Unworthy, but it was still disappointing. That was to say nothing of the fact that, within almost two decades, the Crown was in debt.

Such blatant weakness was proverbial blood in the water, and the noble houses became like sharks. Many plans were forming, and the recent discovery of a seemingly unknown land paved the way for a great many opportunities. Such was the reason why, instead of her father, Olenna elected to join the voyage with Margeary as her aide. She was groomed with the intent of becoming the next queen, and with that in mind, she was to learn as much as she could; how to rule, how to tempt, and most importantly, how to temper her future husband.

"Men are weak creatures," she remembered her mother telling her once. "Especially those distracted by matters of the flesh. And for as stubborn as some are, all it takes is a good woman who knows the right choice of words to calm them."

There'd been talks of a potential marriage contract between Margeary and the crown prince, a match she was admittedly skeptical. There were plenty of rumors about Joffrey Baratheon, and not a one painted a pretty picture. The visit to the Red Keep was meant to be a way for her to ascertain his character, but so far, she'd yet to see neither hide nor hair of King Robert's eldest. It had, however, given her the opportunity to meet the heir of Eddard Stark.

House Stark was one of the great noble houses, and had been at the center of Robert's Rebellion fifteen years ago. Rickard Stark and his heir Brandon were killed by King Aerys II, and demanded Eddard Stark's head as well as Robert Baratheon and Jon Arryn's for the supposed crime of treason. It had been the excuse needed to light the powder keg the Seven Kingdoms had been sitting on in recent years, and sparked the downfall of the Targaryen dynasty. Truthfully, the Tyrells held no interest in the North due to its continued isolation, their willingness to stay out of Southron affairs unless necessary, and the harsh climate of the northern region. Previous southern attempts to cultivate land there ended in failure.

Recently, however, there was renewed interest in House Stark, or to be more precise, in its Lord Paramount and his heir. If rumors were to be believed, Robert Baratheon intended for Eddard Stark to succeed Lord Arryn as the Hand of the King, and either his eldest son or daughter was to marry into the royal family. Last Margeary heard, it was still undecided whether Joffrey or Myrcella would marry one of Lord Stark's children, which was a partial boon for House Tyrell and their deigns to have one of their blood sit upon the Iron Throne.

Encountering Eddard Stark's heir was little more than a stroke of luck as much as it was a chance to gain insight into his character. She saw him about to intervene, ready to defend that hapless girl as though he were a gallant knight. It warmed her heart, reminding her of old fanciful dreams when she was naught but a young child of a few name days, but it worried her all the same. It was clear Robb Stark was impulsive, driven by his honor.

She could not allow him to tarnish himself, no matter how much she shared his feelings of discontent.

Convincing him to return with her to the noble quarters was surprisingly easy, though given the troubled expression stuck to his face, she supposed he was thinking about that willowy girl from Flea Bottom. She witnessed enough death to know the act of killing was unavoidable, especially where injustice is concerned, but like Robb, she felt disgusted by the behavior of the City Watch. Even before the reign of the Mad King, it suffered from the rot of corruption, though never with such blatancy.

"Would you like some tea, Lord Stark?" Margeary inquired.

The Stark heir shook his head. "No, thank you. And…call me Robb, please. 'Lord Stark' is my father." Margeary nodded in acquiescence, albeit a tad disappointed. Tea was better enjoyed with company. "Forgive my rudeness, Lady Tyrell, but why did you bring me here? Are you not worried about rumors?"

"Words are wind," she replied. "And any such talk with disappear before long. Gossip amongst the servants here in the Red Keep quickly changes. Before long, they will tire speaking of secret rendezvous and move on to another topic altogether."

"I see." Robb fell quiet for but a moment. "…what we saw in the alley earlier. Is such a sight common?"

Margeary grimaced as she sat down across from the young lordling. "Corruption within the City Watch is an open secret, though that such a blatant occurred so close to Flea Bottom means few, if any, will care much for it. There has been no shortage of people wishing its destruction and removal from King's Landing altogether."

"I don't understand."

"You must understand, Lord Robb, that ever since its founding, King's Landing expanded to where it is the crown jewel of the Targaryen dynasty, tarnished as it now is after the rebellion fifteen years ago. When Aegon the Conqueror first established it, it expanded without much thought as it is now. As Aegon's successors began to expand King's Landing with their own respective visions in mind, a section of the city was abandoned and left to the devices of the smallfolk. The lack of oversight meant that section grew festered with unsavory aspects, such as criminals and questionable establishments. Before long, it became a haven for the smallfolk oppressed by the City Watch and the corrupt nobles."

Margeary took a brief pause to collect her thoughts. "To the many lords, Flea Bottom is a disgrace and an eyesore. The only reason it has never been torn down or put to the torch is the same reason it has been left alone."

"The nobles who find its presence convenient," Robb accurately surmised with a troubled frown. "The South is more complicated than I expected…"

The young woman smiled beatifically. "I would imagine many say the same about the North, Lord Robb. Actually, if you're willing to sate my curiosity, would you mind answering my questions about the North?"

Although the Tyrells had no interest in the North, there was the possibility things would change in the event Lord Stark and King Robert convinced Lord Arryn to stand down from his post as Lord Hand. The changing of posts and shift in power always meant new avenues, and it would do well to forge connections, especially if this voyage proved fruitful.

Still, Margeary didn't want her talk to be all business. "Do you have any siblings, Lord Robb?"

The Stark heir smiled proudly. "I do. Two sisters and three brothers. Sansa takes after my lady mother while Arya is something of a wild child. My younger brother Bran dreams of becoming a knight one day, and Rickon's something of a handful. Some days, I think him more direwolf than boy with how often he bites." For some reason, Robb's smile turned sorrowful. "And then there's my half-brother, Jon."

Ah, the infamous Stark bastard, Margeary thought. While she knew little about him, she was aware of his existence. It was one of the few noteworthy things about Eddard Stark during the days of the rebellion fifteen years ago.

"Of my siblings, he's about as old as I am," he continued. "He's hard-working, and spends most days with a sword in hand to better himself. Truth be told, he's the better warrior between us."

She could tell where this was going. "But not everyone in Winterfell approves of him?"

"…Lady Catelyn. My mother," he admitted shamefully. "She doesn't abuse him, thankfully. Instead, she merely glares at him. I can count the times she's interacted with him on one hand and every time, I could tell she wanted to be anywhere else. She thinks him a mistake, a stain on father's honor." Robb sighed and shook his head. "I wish she wouldn't be so hard on him. It is not his fault."

"I am surprised Lord Stark would raise his bastard with his trueborn siblings," Margeary said.

"You and many others, Lady Tyrell. I remember how some in Winterfell, including the septa, argued about allowing Jon to study alongside us. Father would hear none of it, however. He insisted that Jon live as though he were a trueborn son."

"What of his mother?"

"Dead, or so I've heard. Father refuses to tell anyone of her, not even Jon."

Well, now wasn't that interesting? Still, as curious as she was, Margeary knew better than to pry. It wouldn't do well to harm the beginnings of a beneficial relationship.

The topic diverged to more lighthearted topics, with the two heirs trading stories of their childhood and comparing their lives in their respective lands. The tales of Winterfell sparked Margeary's interest, and Robb expressed an interest in seeing the assortment of flowers and roses they grew in Highgarden.

THE WARRIOR

The winds had changed significantly in the past year.

Limgrave and its westward neighbor, the Weeping Peninsula, weren't strangers to stormy weather. Strong gales and storms were common, with winds so strong even the hardiest of trees would fall from sheer power alone. The Peninsula was frequently drenched in rain, which of course meant frequent flooding. Lady Rodrika suggested the construction of a canal to divert the floods back into the oceans, offering the funds from Castle Morne's dusty coffers. Haight gave her leave to enact her project. Ordinarily, such an undertaking would take many months, if not a few years to accomplish, at least with normal labor.

Trolls, thankfully, were not "normal laborers", and neither were sorcerers worth their staves.

The canals had been finished for months now, just in time for the rainy season. Truthfully, the warrior doubted the rainy season this year would be as disastrous as it was in the years prior. Ever since the beginning of the new age, something changed within the Lands Between. She couldn't put her finger on it, save that the air itself seemed different. There was a charge, a change occurring as the people adapted to this uncertain period, and the warrior knew it would not be something simple. Few things involving the Tarnished of No Renown ever were.

"My lady," Gostac called. "Lord Haight is calling for you in his study."

The warrior turned to her servant. "I shall be there shortly," she said. "Have you seen the Westerosi as of late?"

"I have, my lady. A messenger bird arrived not long ago. It seems the ruler of Westeros and members of the great noble houses of yore will embark on a voyage here to speak with you."

"They've likely already embarked on their voyage," the warrior said with a bemusement. "Messenger birds… Such inefficiency."

"It cannot be helped. From the sound of it, magic has long since lost its luster in that land."

When foreigners first landed on the Weeping Peninsula's shores, the warrior and the great lords of Caria and Altus gathered to discuss what to do with the recent arrivals. They were adrift sailors, so offering them supplies and sending them back on their way was the simplest solution. The real problem came with what the sailors would tell any who would bend an ear to listen. Even in the early years of Marika the Eternal's rule, relations with foreign lands was no more than a shot in the dark. The mandate and law of the Golden Order was clear; submit and embrace the Graceful light, or perish under the weight of its faithful. Some agreed to convert, whereas others resisted and waged war. Of particular note was the Land of Reeds; to the warrior's best understanding, it had been Marika the Eternal's ultimatum that sparked the bloody civil war that would eventually descend the Land of Reeds into bloody civil war. One side wished to submit to her rule, and the others wished to maintain autonomy. A scant few took offense and desired war with the Golden Queen. The differences could not be mended, and so lines were drawn, banners were raised, and war enveloped the land.

The sheer ferocity and madness of such a place was so great that not even Hoarah Loux, the Lord of All That is Golden, could not bring the land to heel. A "blood-crazed madness" indeed. Small wonder, then, it produced a Tarnished of skill worthy of the warrior blood in their veins.

Those who suffered most in the Shattering, the lords of antiquity, argued conquest in the name of the now-abandoned Golden Order. Others wished to kill the sailors and maintain anonymity, still nursing their wounds and unwilling to interact with the outside world. Those such as the warrior wished to open dialogue. In this uncertain age brought about by the Tarnished and the Lunar Queen, the absence of order left many to question their purpose, and the warrior stayed the course. Her duty as Lord of Limgrave was to provide for her people, to act as their sword and shield.

The Lands Between could not remain isolated forever.

The war hawks and isolationists had little choice but to concede when the warrior raised these points to her fellows. As one of Hoarah Loux's tribe, her words carried significantly more weight than a Limgrave heir should. There'd even been talk of the warrior being the one meant to succeed Lord Radagon as Elden Lord. The moment she heard it, she laughed. Tempting as the thought was, the warrior possessed not the strength to claim the crown. No, there was another worthy of it, with the power meant to bear its weight and burdens.

Even now, it is laughable, the warrior mused to herself as she left the room, heading for Haight's study. That one such as you would be without achievement. Fitting, then, that you should be the unsung hero.

And yet, that raised a question that plagued all in the Lands Between, herself included:

Where is Lunar Queen Ranni and her consort eternal?

Where is the Elden Lord?

Chapter VIII New
Hot damn, I am on a goddamn hot streak. I don't remember ever being able to write this much for a fanfic in years. Hopefully the creative juices will keep going for a while! ...though sadly, this will be my last update for this story for a while. Heavy emphasis on *for a while*. My plan is that, in order to prevent burnout, I will be shifting focus to a different story every month. This month was A Song of Moon and Gold. Next month will be a new fanfic of mine titled "The Phantom Thieves of Kosei", which if you've played P5 is self-explanatory, and in October, it will be A Worm in the Gulch. I'll be returning to this story in November, where I will hopefully be way less busy. Seriously, October is bad enough for me as it is between Metaphor: ReFantazio and Dragon Age: The Veilguard.

In regards to shamepless plug-ins, the patreon version is ahead by at least four chapters. If you're interesting in reading more or just want to help pay the bills, consider joining my patreon and maybe offer up some ideas or suggestions

JOFFREY

"This is so stupid," Joffrey grumbled under his breath, pacing back and forth in his room. "Father's a fool, and mother is overreacting. I should be going with them on the voyage, not sit here like some toddler!"

Even at a young age, Joffrey Baratheon knew he was not like other nobles. His grandfather from his mother's side was Tywin Lannister, a man of no small infamy for having rendered a noble house extinct for a slight against House Lannister. His parents were king and queen of the Seven Kingdoms. His uncle was one of the greatest swordsmen alive. He was the crown prince, the heir of a dynasty that overthrew the conquering dragons that came to Westeros nearly three centuries ago. There was no doubt in Joffrey's mind that he was destined to do great things.

And that was the problem. Everything conspired against him, seemingly to prevent him from taking the appropriate steps to realize that destined dream of one day succeeding his father and becoming king.

He was decent with a crossbow and, loathe as he was to admit it, woefully average with a sword. Physically speaking, he didn't have the strength to swing a war hammer in battle, much less wield it. Robert was disappointed to learn his son didn't inherit his mighty strength…and it hurt. Academically speaking, he didn't really see the point in learning such trivial information. Who cared about the past? Who cared about the Targaryens? The once-proud lineage of conquerors was forever tarnished by the Mad King, and his last surviving children were exiled. To return here was to suffer a death sentence, if not a fate worse than death. Truthfully, he was quite eager to see what sort of punishment his father might inflict upon them if the last Targaryens really were that stupid.

And yet his mother bade him to learn when she wasn't busy doting on him. His father and grandfather complained how she coddled him too much, saying she was spoiling him. Perhaps she was, but wasn't that what she was supposed to do? She was the queen, and he her son, the prince who will one day become king. It wasn't like they would remain parent and child forever. And, if Joffrey were frank, even he felt like his mother was a tad too affectionate sometimes. Some days, she would hunt him down even though all he wanted was to be alone. Why couldn't she shower useless Tommen or simple Myrcella with love instead?

Joffrey was desperate to find a way to prove himself to his father. If he could prove he was indeed a worthy heir, perhaps he would change his tune. The question was how? Joffrey came up with an idea years ago. It was widely known that the king had a fondness for hunting game, so Joffrey decided he would commit a hunt of his own. He tried to convince his father to allow him to join him on one of his hunts, believing his skill with a crossbow would be more than enough to bag a nice big beastie to earn Robert's approval, but Robert denied his request, telling him he would have to wait until he was three and ten; the same age he'd been when he went on his first hunt. In his impatience, Joffrey decided to hunt whatever furry beast he could find in the Red Keep.

His quarry had been a cat that stalked the kitchens. He overheard the servants often complaining how it snuck inside the pantries and absconded with food, with the head chef struggling to snatch it despite his lanky frame. Joffrey decided there was no better target, and hunted the little furry bastard down. All it took was one bolt and the beast died in an instant. Joffrey never felt so proud and practically raced to his father's solar to show him proof that he was as good a hunter as any.

Instead of praise, Robert's hand struck him clean across the cheek. It was the first time the king ever raised a hand to his son, and what a blow it'd been. Two of his teeth were knocked clean from his mouth. Joffrey didn't learn until later the cat had been Tommen's, and how it had a tendency to sneak out of his room in search of mice. Joffrey believed it was his younger brother's fault father struck him, but he never had a chance to enact vengeance because of his fool of a mother.

He didn't understand where he went wrong. It was a cat. A dumb animal! Tommen cried for days, which only exacerbated Joffrey's annoyance with him. If he that depressed over a dead animal, why didn't he just get a new one? There was surely no shortage of disgusting felines running around Flea Bottom!

After the incident, Robert made it painfully clear to Joffrey he would never be brought along for a hunt. Furthermore, he demanded the Master at Arms and the Grand Maester be more strict in his studies, something his mother took umbrage with. Joffrey agreed with her sentiments, but there was no point questioning the king's orders. All the prince could do was stew in annoyance while voicing his complaints to his mother and the Hound, and sometimes venting his frustration on whatever servant was unlucky enough to find themselves in his crosshairs.

With the recent discussions of marriage with some Northern wench coinciding with the discovery of a foreign land, Joffrey find yet another new opportunity. It was all everyone talked about, and not without reason. Even Joffrey was enthralled by the promises of adventure and grandeur, especially when he saw the trinkets the sailors showed. It was not only glassware that put the Myrish to shame and weapons but other trinkets as well. Textile works, fabric, and other exotic items.

The plan inherent was for the leaders of the Great Houses barring the Greyjoys to venture to this foreign land and speak with its lords about potential trade and cultural exchange. If all went well, there was even the possibility of settling there, expand the Seven Kingdoms' reach. There was no better way for Joffrey to prove himself as Robert Baratheon's heir, and establish himself as the future ruler of the Seven Kingdoms! …well, that was the plan until his father forbade him from coming with.

"He's not planning on setting me aside, is he?" Joffrey's mind wandered to the unthinkable. It wasn't unheard of for the crown prince to be passed over regarding rights of succession. "He's planning on marrying me off to a Northwoman, so that can't be it."

Despite assuring himself he was still heir, the doubt would not go away. It gnawed at him deeply, almost physically so. His face scrunched, unable to bear the thought that his birthright would be taken from him. He couldn't let that happen. He refused to let it happen. He was Joffrey Baratheon, the crown prince and heir of House Baratheon. He was not only a stag, but a mighty lion as well!

He would prove himself to his father, one way or another.

JON ARRYN

"It's an honor to meet you at last, Lord Hand."

Jon smiled kindly at the red-haired Stark. Although his appearance leaned more toward the Tully blood in him, Robb bore the faint traces of his lord father. He was glad to see that Eddard's life as a married man proved fruitful. His own experiences with marriage were not pleasant, much as he tried to make it work. Lysa was a beautiful woman, albeit wasted on a feeble old man like himself. She deserved better, and unfortunately, she believed so as well.

He pushed the dark thoughts away for the moment. He didn't want to expose his weakness to one of his brightest students and his heir.

"Your father told me a great deal about you, Robb," Jon said. "It's a shame I'm no longer the youthful man I once was. I would have gladly taken you under my wing as I did your father."

"Perhaps it is for the best," Eddard japed. "I consider you a second father, make no mistake, but by the gods, you were my worst nightmare during my fosterage."

"As was my post as your teacher. At least you bothered to listen, unlike Robert."

Robb chuckled. "I can see why father named my half-brother after you."

"And how is Jon the Younger? I've not seen him since he was but a babe when you returned from the Tower of Joy at the rebellion's end."

Eddard's smile grew noticeably strained. "He is well." Jon waited a moment for Eddard to continue, and when his student remained tight-lipped, he grew concerned. He saw the child only twice; the first time had been when Eddard returned with Lyanna Stark's corpse in tow. The sight made his heart tremble in grief, knowing that regardless of the truth behind her being with Rhaegar Targaryen, the poor girl spent the last moments of her life away from her family. In his mind, there was no worse fate than to die in the absence of kin. He barely noticed the bundle of cloth and the slumbering babe within. The second time had been after the surprisingly tame argument between Eddard and his lady wife when she discovered the babe's existence, having briefly cared for the child while Eddard went about making amends and convincing Catelyn to allow the child to live alongside his half-siblings.

Eddard's silence about Jon Snow was worrying, if not curious. He was about to press the Lord Paramount of the North for answers when he felt a familiar tug within his breast, followed by a hot pain in his chest. A wet cough exploded from his throat, nearly sending him to the floor in a violent fit.

"Jon!" Eddard was at his side almost immediately, offering support to his former teacher. The Lord Hand continued to cough for a moment longer until the pain subsided. The clenching sensation in his breast lingered longer than last time, which reinforced what he knew already. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," he wheezed. "It… It will pass." Jon took a moment to collect himself, relaxing his breathing. Eddard gently helped him sit down on his chair. "My apologies. I didn't want you to see that."

"How long have you been sick?" Eddard questioned.

"Since the beginning of the year, I wager. It was never this bad, not until recently."

Robert nearly broke into a fit when Jon told him. It was somewhat amusing, he'd privately admit, watching a grown man break into tears, though it died moments later when he realized how little kingship changed his former ward. Despite having grown fat with indulgence and trapping himself in a loveless marriage (one Jon himself advocated, much to his shame. Oh, if only he'd known…), the young man who came to him from the Stormlands was still there, trapped under the layers of fat and wine. How quickly the young stag latched onto him, as though he were kin and not a teacher in the art of warfare.

I should have tried harder with you, Robert, Jon mourned. I taught you how to be a warrior. Steffon should have taught you how to be a lord.

And yet, more pitiful the fool was he for not teaching him how to be a lord in Steffon Baratheon's place. Would Robert have grown to be a worthy king if he had?

"I've no intention of allowing sickness to claim me so easily," Jon boasted with a wry grin, forcing it onto his face if only out of stubborn pride. "I've a year or two in me still."

"Even so…"

Eddard sighed in sadness and resignation. "I see Robert was not exaggerating. Old age truly has done little to make you less stubborn." Despite his words, a fond smile made its way to his face. "Despite the circumstances… It is good to see you again, Lord Arryn."

"And I you, Ned," Jon chuckled.

Although Ned came to inquire about preparations for the voyage, it hadn't taken long for Robb to break his silence and ask about Ned's younger years. It was with great amusement that Jon told the Stark heir some personal tales, some of which left Ned red in the ears. One particular story involved a mountain clan who made a nuisance of themselves in the Vale. Although smaller than most bands, the clan managed to evade pursuing knights for several months before Jon finally caught up to them. It'd been Ned's first excursion since his fosterage began, and despite Jon's initial expectations, the boy held himself quite well. It helped that Robert was there to watch his fellow's back.

What made this excursion so memorable was the revelation that the clan took to kidnapping women, some taken during their travels and others torn from their homes and their families slaughtered. A few of those women were sadly defiled well before Jon and his band could catch up to them, including the women of noble birth. A tragedy that would lessen their marriage prospects, and in worse case, damage their standing within the families, even though it was far outside their control. Jon learned after the fact that some of the women they rescued were so scarred by the humiliation inflicted upon them by the mountain clan that they took their own lives, unable to bear the shame.

Amid this bitter tale, however, was a promising beginning. Ned's actions proved he was not some dawdler and showcased his swiftness with a blade. Jon heard stories of the so-called wolfsblood, but he hadn't believed it until he saw Eddard Stark in the heat of battle. He wasn't the only one to notice, either. One of the women they rescued, a rather comely-looking girl, was rather taken with Ned and wished to repay him. Ever the standard of humility and honor, Ned politely refused. Not that it stopped the girl from pecking his cheek.

"Jon, please…"

The old man laughed at Ned's embarrassment. "It's nothing to be ashamed about, you know. The bards love to spin tales of a hapless summer maiden and a dashing young knight."

"It does sound like quite the tale," Robb agreed. "I think Sansa would appreciate it."

"An unexpected betrayal, my son."

"As amusing as this is," Jon said. "I'm afraid my weary bones demand I rest for the day. We will depart King's Landing by the week's end, and I'd rather muster my strength in the meantime."

Ned nodded. "Of course, Jon."

"Before you go, Ned, I'd like to speak with you in private." The lord of Winterfell raised a eyebrow, but shrugged. Robb bid his father and the Lord Hand farewell before departing the solar. Jon waited, straining his ear and listening for the sounds of footsteps bouncing off stones before speaking, his tone bereft of jesting cheer. "Robert didn't just send for you for the purpose of visiting our new eastward neighbors."

It was not a question.

To his credit, Ned didn't even flinch. "He's admitted more than once in his letter about his growing fears regarding your health. Furthermore…" The Northern lord grew uncomfortable, shifting in his seat and wringing his hands. "He's asked me to take your place as the Hand of the King."

The ailing Arryn patriarch sighed. Ever since word of his sickness spread and his failure to hide it from the king, Robert and a few others from the small council repeatedly bade him to step down. He refused, of course. He was dying, but he wasn't dead yet. There was yet life in those old bones, and he would not relinquish them. Not when he still had a purpose, not when he needed to fulfill his duty to the realm.

Not when a succession crisis was on the horizon.

It didn't surprise Jon to learn Robert wanted Ned's help in convincing him to step down from his post. If anything, he was glad to hear that despite their strained bond Ned willingly answered Robert's call.

Even so—

"You'd make a poor Hand, Ned." The Lord Paramount of the North blinked in confusion and stared at his former teacher. "I'm sure you've guessed as much already, but kingship has done Robert few favors, and his marriage with Cersei has since become my greatest shame. I'm afraid I made many mistakes with Robert, and I refuse to allow you to suffer for them."

"I don't understand."

"Allow me to speak plainly, Ned. Your honor means shit here in the South." Ned reeled as if struck by the sheer bluntness of Jon's words. "There's a reason why your forebears wished as little dealings with the South as much as possible. It's nothing so simple as political disagreements. For all intents and purposes, the cultures of the South and the North are too different to be reconciled. Here, in King's Landing, such differences may very well warrant your death."

Ned frowned in concern. "What do you mean?"

"Although honor has yet lost its meaning, too many are willing to forsake it in the name of ambition. Here, honor has as much worth as a single halfpenny." Jon shook his head and sighed in bitter resignation, leaning back in his chair. "The lords and ladies play a deadly game, Ned. A game of thrones. And in a game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Jon saw the conflicting emotions on his former ward's face. It pained him to deliver a bitter truth to a boy he adored ages ago, but it was necessary. The burden of the King's Hand was a heavy one, and so few could bear its weight as much as the king withstood the weight of his crown. Jon buckled under the weight of his chains as he tried and sometimes failed to reign in Robert in his more outrageous moments, to try and douse the flames of anger, and yet it was only as he neared the end of his life that he realized the truth.

He was doomed to fail from the start. Robert was never meant to be king. He didn't even want to be king, only going along with it because Jon suggested it. In his mind, Robert was the best and only choice. The Baratheons were kin to the Targaryens, both from its founding (assuming one believed the rumors that Orys Baratheon was indeed Aegon the Conqueror's bastard brother) and from Robert's grandmother. Although the Targaryen dynasty was no more, it was their blood that provided the quickest means to crown a king. Robert was the ideal choice in that regard, and the realm was in desperate need of a lynchpin. Jon saw the cracks, and all he could do was race to fix them before the rebellion damaged the seven kingdoms irreparably by devolving into civil war.

If only he knew then what he did now. Alas, the die was cast, and now all the old fool could do was mitigate the damage done by his impulsiveness.

"You are a good man, Eddard Stark," Jon said softly to his former ward. "But I'm afraid your honor would make you a poor participant, easily manipulated by those seeking to use you for their own ends."

"Then what do you suggest?" Ned asked miserably. "Deny Robert? As much as things have changed between us, I still consider him both friend and brother to me. Don't ask me to break that bond, Jon."

Jon sighed. Oh, how he had forgotten the boy's stubbornness. "I am not asking you to. I merely ask that you ponder my words."

Ned grimaced, likely already seeing the truth in Jon's words. His expression shifted into something akin to curiosity. "You said Robert was in a loveless marriage with the queen."

For a moment, Jon pondered whether to bring Ned into the fold. This business with the Lands Between was perhaps a blessing and a curse. It started as mere suspicions at first, passing thoughts that would earn a visit to the chopping block. Then Varys made an 'innocent' suggestion that fueled those suspicions, making him pay more attention to the king's children and the queen's interaction with her brother. The only person he shared these suspicions with was Stannis, and he was of the same mind.

Certainly, bringing Ned into the fold would be a boon onto itself and would likely make convincing Robert less stressful. On the other hand, he didn't want to burden Ned with this knowledge.

"…Robert was drunk the night he consummated his marriage with Cersei Lannister," Jon said carefully after a moment of consideration. "And it was not her name he spoke."

Ned stilled, then dragged his hand down his face. "Gods dammit, Robert…"

"Ever since, there's been notable friction between them. The queen herself has been reluctant to perform her wifely duties, and Robert's temper tantrums are not helping. Quite frankly, it's a miracle there's been no talk of regicide as of late."

"I would assume Jaime Lannister has done nothing to re-enact his actions during the Sack?"

"He's kept mostly to himself if that is what you mean," Jon said. "I suspect it is because the queen herself demanded he do nothing to act on her behalf. A saving grace, considering Robert's tendency to let his temper rule him."

"I see…"

Jon stared at Ned a while longer. The thoughts pervading his mind previously faded as the dying old man made his decision. He could not afford to involve Ned in these affairs. It was for his own good.

With their business settled, Jon dismissed Ned and went back to his work. Although everyone focused on preparing for the coming voyage to the Lands Between, there was still work to be done.

"…Jon." The Lord Hand blinked and looked up. For some reason, Ned remained in his solar. "There is something I would like to speak with you about. I…require counsel. In regards to my…bastard son."

Jon grew curious. "What advice do you seek? Is this perhaps regarding fosterage?"

Ned shook his head. "No. I would rather Jon spend such time at Winterfell, though I appreciate the thought. As much as I would enjoy the idea of him learning under you, it is not the matter of fosterage that concerns me. My son has been having dreams as of late. Worrisome ones, at that."

From there, Ned told him about his bastard son's dreams. Certainly, Jon understood why Ned was so concerned. As a whole, they made little sense, but the last moments of the dreams were alarming to say the least.

"I know not whether these are greendreams, but that Jon should suffer these dreams the same time when the Lands Between made itself known to us…" Ned grimaced. "I cannot help but think they are an ill omen."

"A sign of the gods, perhaps," Jon hummed. "I see why you are concerned." Of particular note was the mention of a great tree. The sailors mentioned a similar sight during their brief stay in the Lands Between, and the scouts they sent ahead verified its existence. Tall, towering, and seemingly burnt with ash-gray bark and naked branches. "I would not dismiss them, though deciphering their meaning… I'm afraid that is beyond me. Although…"

"Although…?"

"Recently, Lord Stannis has made the acquaintance of a follower of R'hllor. A priestess who calls herself Melissandre. I've met her only twice. I've seen men of incredible faith, but I've never met one with such devotion to their god. Supposedly, she receives visions from the Lord of Light. I claim no insight into spiritual matters, but if she possesses such a talent, perhaps she can decipher the meaning of Jon's dreams."

"I see. Do you know where I may find her?"

"She clings to Lord Stannis like a shadow. Where he is, she will not be far behind."

Ned nodded. "Thank you, Jon." He turned on his heel, leaving in search of the red-clad woman.

The Lord Hand sighed exhaustedly, sinking into his chair. Now more than ever was he starting to feel his age. "I wonder if Maester Aemon at the Wall feels this way," he mused to himself with a wry chuckle. "Still… Ill omens, indeed."

And yet, I cannot help but wonder… The visions that speak of undead abominations, dragons, and colored flames that burn the world…

Are they greendreams…or dragon dreams?

Back